Replacement for Evernote Legacy

Back during the beta of the new Evernote, I mentioned in the beta test forums that there were features I used in Evernote that were not in the beta. That was in October of 2020.

When the new Evernote was released, many of those functions were not in the new Evernote. Yet features that were useless to me kept on being added!

I continued to use Evernote Legacy. Every once in a while, I would look for a replacement. All I tested had issues.

2 weeks after I paid for another year of Evernote, I received an email saying that sync for Evernote Legacy was being removed on March 23! I knew that they had stopped supporting Evernote Legacy a long time ago ... but I never expected the sync to be deprecated!

I found several articles on Evernote Alternatives and started testing conversions and syncs to Android. FYI, my Evernote DB has 11 stacks, a couple of hundred notebooks, and nearly 10K notes! The ENEX files of the stacks total just under 2 GB.

Many of the note apps I found did not have a conversion function from Evernote...

In my tests, I had conversion issues with OneNote, Zoho Notebook, Notion & Obsidian (Obsidian didn't keep the last modified date of my notes!). I had sync issues with OneNote.

I ended up deciding to use Joplin (https://joplinapp.org/, https://joplinapp.org/help/). Joplin has versions for Windows, Mac, Mac M1's and Linux. Mobile versions for Android and iOS...

Interestingly, one article about converting to Obsidian suggests using Joplin in order to convert to ENEX and then using the MD files with Obsidian!

Both Joplin and Obsidian save files locally. Obsidian uses a FolderSync app to send changes to other devices.

I had issues with the DropBox and OneDrive syncs for Joplin: the syncs stop when the device locks. As my phone locks after 10 minutes, this was unacceptable!

I asked on their forums and Joplin Cloud was recommended by one user. Joplin is free, Joplin Cloud Basic is 28.7 euros/year while Joplin Cloud Pro is 57.5 euros/year. I had to buy Pro due to the size of some of my notes: Basic is limited to 10 MB per note or attachment while Pro has a 200 MB note or attachment limit.

Joplin Forums are very responsive by the way, especially compared with Obsidian's forums: after 10 days, I still have had no response to 2 questions about Obsiddian imports! Also, no one from Zoho support responded to my support email about conversion issues.

Even those this is late, I hope this helps some of those who are looking for a replacement for Evernote Legacy!

John

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

That not all features YOU wanted are there only proves that EN is not your private project, but build for a large group of users. Some functions may have been impossible to implement (like scripting), others were axed because only a tiny fraction of users ever applied them (like presentation mode).

If the result works for you, is entirely your own decision. An app will never be a perfect fit, „good enough“ is often the best you can expect. If you find a better fit, just do what you prefer.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Did I say that EN was my "private project" @PinkElephant? I don't think so!

FYI, I've been a software trainer and consultant since 1989 (I started training people on WordPerfect 4.2!). And I have been involved in dozens of different beta tests since that time ... including several older versions of EN!

The best apps I have worked with are those that ask clients what features they want on public feedback sites. And then try to implement them if many clients ask for them!

For one app, I made a suggestion once and it wasn't implemented for over 5 years. When I asked about it at a partner conference, I was told that they couldn't implement it with the old development tools they used, they had to wait until they changed dev tools!

• Like 7

just fyi, for those wanting to move from evernote to onenote, there are 2 solutions I am aware of, but i have not tried any.

1) free, open source tool called stefan's tool  evernote2onenote converter.   but i haven't used so cannot vouch for it

2) onegem costing $28.   I haven't tried so cannot vouch for it, though i have read 2-3 positive reviews and no negative reviews. there is also no real trial, so you will need to make leap of faith in buying.  please don't rely on me. I am just highlighting it exists and cannot say for sure about it. you need to make your own decision.

The third way is THE INCREMENTAL MIGRATION STRATEGY: 

personally, I was forced into what I will call "incremental migration" strategy, when I moved from palm desktop / device into evernote due to lack of compatible way of doing automatic transfer.    This works for migrating from ANY note app to ANY other note app.  This works as follows:

- leave all existing notes in your old note app

- new notes, you create in new note app

- old notes, whenever you need to amend them, copy over to new note app manually and edit over there

This may appear counter-intuitive.  I was forced into it, and was initially very upset. But in the end, it worked like a charm for me. Because this way, you are also in a way doing housekeeping, ie after 1 year, you will have active notes in your new note app, while outdated notes only in your old note app.   This helps in keeping database small, thus faster speed. Also, when you do search, you don't get so many outdated notes also appearing in search.       In my case, I had 5000+ notes in my old palm desktop, but after 1 year, I had transferred only 1500 active notes into evernote, and left the 3500 outdated notes in old palm desktop app.     1500 notes coped over 1 year works out to be about manually copying 4 notes a day, which is not too painful (though of course in reality, in initial days, may need to copy upto 10 notes notes a day, and then it starts tapering off).    There are some drawbacks like having to search 2 notes app for some time.   But after some time, this also reduces. 

Many may not have considered this as an option.  I certainly didn't. but it worked well for me, so am highlighting it as a POSSIBLE option to think about.

hope this is helpful to some people.  thank you.

Thanks @pkmailbox1. I tried "evernote2onenote". It removed all of my formatting so I wasn't impressed.

I also had problems with the sync from OneNote on Windows to OneNote on Android. So I dumped OneNote and moved on with my testing.

Re Palm: I did the same thing with important notes when I moved to Evernote back in 2008 or 2009. Started paying for Evernote back then because it was so much better than others on the market!

John

I used my Evernote local folders as a repository for 'work' stuff. a lot of PDFs with notes.   Noteapps.info whittled my 9 essential features down to just 2 contenders. If I check 'Local Folders' Evernote drops out of the list leaving Joplin as the only possibility.  Obsidian may be a contender if plugins are included but it has an unfathomable method of sorting the note list, a shame because I may have preferred it to Joplin.

Pretty sure I'll be renewing Evernote because, despite the price, there's nothing else on offer that ticks all the boxes. My local folders are now in Joplin - just (pre-) released in v3 with enhancements to the note list - getting better for me.

NoteApps.png

I don't want to be debbie downer, but can someone help me with what I'm missing here??? How is this better? The right legacy-now-depreciated-EN had all info, large font, and the left, new and "better" is mostly dead space!

I "zoomed out" under "view" and that results in the lower image on the left side. TINY font, and STILL not as much content viewable as the legacy app.

Am I missing something? I have scrolled and scrolled trying to find view options to change, but I can not find anything. I have to be missing something right? Or it's not displaying correctly on my computer?

ScreenShot2024-03-26at10_37_25AM.thumb.png.4f3c6591c2ccd9a7c619d5ef0d76f38d.pngScreenShot2024-03-26at10_37_59AM.thumb.png.6304de3d4936248f9ffd430b62dc0e23.png

• Sad 1

@KGT and @johnm243, I hope to STAY on Evernote, but what went into your decisions between Joplin and Obsidian? Can you expound some more?

I downloaded both and will play with them a little bit. For SURE not going OneNote or one of those routes, but Joplin and Obsidian looked like interesting alternatives...

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

TINY font, and STILL not as much content viewable as the legacy app.

v10 is definitely less dense.  There have been requests to add a denser view.  I don't know what is up with the tiny font.  I'm not seeing that.

Just now, s2sailor said:

v10 is definitely less dense.  There have been requests to add a denser view.  I don't know what is up with the tiny font.  I'm not seeing that.

Okay, so that density is just what it us huh? Okay... Interesting...

Well thank you for that input, I haven't read as much on this forum so hadn't seen that...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, ThomasCee said:

Okay, so that density is just what it us huh? Okay... Interesting...

Yes, for now.  Feel free to provide comments to feedback@evernote.com.  With enough feedback maybe they will add a compact view.

• Like 1
@ThomasCee, for me it was the dropping of local notebooks that drove the move. I have some stuff that I will upload to the cloud only if it's E2E encrypted.

Stuff that I have in Joplin is really only for desktop use, it actually doesn't even need to be saved to the cloud. I have set up sync with OneDrive and installed the iOs app to test it, which is ok, because it's encrypted and only I have the key. I could probable migrate fully to Joplin but I don't think I will.

Joplin visually is like an older version of Evernote. With a plugin I can see the created date in the note list, but the recent release v3 does it natively. I'd say the biggest limitation is not being able to execute a saved search - but there's a work-around that I can live with.

I tried Obsidian and installed it twice. I deleted it after I got settled with Joplin but tried it again largely because of Ferol's experience. But despite all the customisation options with plugins the note list cannot show the created date, and the way the list is sorted I think is strange - it's sorted on the file system date stamp yet it has a 'created' property in each note. You can edit the property but it will not affect the sort. Now if there were an option to sort by the 'created' property* that would do it for me - except it still doesn't handle PDFs as seamlessly as Joplin and Evernote.

* I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible with a plugin but I didn't find one. There are also plugins to tinker with the date stamps and all sorts of stuff.
  • Level 5

It is really no problem - technically speaking - to place content you want to protect into an encrypted file. Even simple ZIP apps offer the option to encrypt. Attach the file to a note, only open it outside of EN.

Personaly I use another option: My password manager allows to attach files and protected notes. Not like EN, but the few documents I want to have in a protected environment are safe there. Plus if I won’t be able to access my data myself (temporarily or finally …), I need to make only 1 key accessible for those who need to know.

So far, I've tried Joplin, Obsidian, Capacities, and Nootsnook... for my uses, I think Notion seems to work the best.  The new Evernote is too slow and the way they nerfed their tagging system just makes it unappealing to me for the price.  

• Like 3

Oh really @KGT! Oh man lol, I assumed EN 10 had the same local file storage structure! Ahh how about that.

Interesting on Joplin. Okay those specifics are really helpful thank you very much. I appreciate that input.

Obsidian, interesting... On one hand it looks simpler than Joplin, but then it has a massive plugin library, and some unique features that only it seems to have. Interesting on the PDF issues, because I do use PDF's within EN all the time, and strange that sort-by-create-date is such an issue.

Thank you so much! I appreciate that helpful data! We'll see where I land. EN 10 for sure works for now. I'll just keep my eyes out for options, and your input is very helpful.

2 minutes ago, Nope nope nope said:

So far, I've tried Joplin, Obsidian, Capacities, and Nootsnook... for my uses, I think Notion seems to work the best.  The new Evernote is too slow and the way they nerfed their tagging system just makes it unappealing to me for the price.  

Huh how about that.

Notion I know has been all the rage lately, but my next computer will be Linux, and Joplin and Obsidian have Linux versions.

May I ask you what you ran into with Obsidian and Joplin? What were their shortcomings for you?

Huh how about that.

Notion I know has been all the rage lately, but my next computer will be Linux, and Joplin and Obsidian have Linux versions.

May I ask you what you ran into with Obsidian and Joplin? What were their shortcomings for you?

Joplin was very close but I didn't like their tagging and sorting features (I'm still looking for the golden goose where I can press/hold CTRL and select multiple tags from the left panel and stay in a single notebook).  I also am not crazy about markdown.

Obsidian was also close but their tagging and sorting feature was too complicated... if I wanted to sort by multiple tags simultaneously, I'd have to write out "Tag: example A, tag: example B" in the query field... plus i'd be booted from my main notebook and be searching all notes instead of the notebook i was previously in. 

When you set up notebooks as databases in Notion, it sorts almost identically to Evernote Legacy which for me is the most important feature I'm looking for.

• Like 1

@Nope nope nope

Joplin - I dare say, I barely understand what markdown is, but I'll do some looking into it. Interesting their tagging wasn't so hot. Tags however are one element I have tried several times to utilize but still rarely use. So maybe a non issue possibly...

Obsidian - Also interesting... Does sound overly complicated.

Notion, well maybe I'll download it and check it out ha ha!

I really don't' need anything complicated lol! Even if they made a EN UI that had a legacy look I suspect I'd be fine. I'll fiddle with Joplin and Obsidian further and see how the workflows go for me...

@KGT, I see Joplin is optimized for local storage options. We've got a NAS so that could be an awesome way to keep all my content under my own roof.

Is Obsidian cloud only?

Not that it's a huge deal breaker, but interesting to consider.

21 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

@Nope nope nope

Joplin - I dare say, I barely understand what markdown is, but I'll do some looking into it. Interesting their tagging wasn't so hot. Tags however are one element I have tried several times to utilize but still rarely use. So maybe a non issue possibly...

Obsidian - Also interesting... Does sound overly complicated.

Notion, well maybe I'll download it and check it out ha ha!

I really don't' need anything complicated lol! Even if they made a EN UI that had a legacy look I suspect I'd be fine. I'll fiddle with Joplin and Obsidian further and see how the workflows go for me...

@KGT, I see Joplin is optimized for local storage options. We've got a NAS so that could be an awesome way to keep all my content under my own roof.

Is Obsidian cloud only?

Not that it's a huge deal breaker, but interesting to consider.

Obsidian is full own local data ... cloud is possible..

All data is in native Windows structure.. in folders. Obsidisn is somethink like "explorer on steroids with notes ."

You can open all attatchment direct from folders without Obsidian...

1 hour ago, ThomasCee said:

what went into your decisions between Joplin and Obsidian? Can you expound some more?

@ThomasCee for me, Joplin won as soon as I did the conversion. When I converted Evernote to Obsidian, many of the notes had changed the last modified date/time of the note to the conversion date/time.

On the Obsidian forums, there was mention of using YARLE to convert from Evernote. YARLE changed the last modified date/time of all of my notes. I posted on the Obsidian forum 10 days ago. As of now, still no response ... and I tagged the person who developed YARLE!

The Joplin conversion went very well, very fast ... and the last modified date/time didn't change on any notes! And, when I had questions, people on the forums answered!

Interestingly, one article I read (https://nesslabs.com/evernote-to-obsidian) suggested converting Evernote to Notion, then saving in Markdown. My conversion to Notion failed - one notebook with 35 notes in it only had 25 notes after conversion to Notion.

Another article I read (https://facedragons.com/foss/migrate-evernote-to-obsidian/) suggested using the Joplin conversion from Evernote!

HTH,

John

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Okay epic. Too valid options then. Thanks man.

All data is in native Windows structure.. in folders. Obsidias is somethink like "explorer on steroids with notes ." Notes is in markdown format. An Obsifian gives them "visual style".

Markdown is readable by many other system.. 

You can use their payed clod Sync.. or own free sync... (like dropbox.. synology nas ..)

But their sync is really good. Worth for paing it..

4 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

@ThomasCee for me, Joplin won as soon as I did the conversion. When I converted Evernote to Obsidian, many of the notes had changed the last modified date/time of the note to the conversion date/time.

On the Obsidian forums, there was mention of using YARLE to convert from Evernote. YARLE changed the last modified date/time of all of my notes. I posted on the Obsidian forum 10 days ago. As of now, still no response ... and I tagged the person who developed YARLE!

The Joplin conversion went very well, very fast ... and the last modified date/time didn't change on any notes! And, when I had questions, people on the forums answered!

Interestingly, one article I read (https://nesslabs.com/evernote-to-obsidian) suggested converting Evernote to Notion, then saving in Markdown. My conversion to Notion failed - one notebook with 35 notes in it only had 25 notes after conversion to Notion.

Another article I read (https://facedragons.com/foss/migrate-evernote-to-obsidian/) suggested using the Joplin conversion from Evernote!

HTH,

John 

Man that is a genius write-up thanks! Man if the import is easy AND ACCURATE on Joplin lol, I should just do that.

What import option do I use? I will search for it and see if I can find it. I have done zero editing in EN 10 so far, so my 7.14 database is perfect currently. Can I just import the EN file structure?

I thought Obsidian looked like it had some unique features, but I never had them before, so do I really need them now? Probably not I suppose.

@johnm243

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 1.11.34 PM.png

6 minutes ago, ferol said:

All data is in native Windows structure.. in folders. Obsidias is somethink like "explorer on steroids with notes ." Notes is in markdown format. An Obsifian gives them "visual style".

Interesting. I may do a complete import into Joplin since it sounds so accurate and easy. But Obsidian still is catching my eye. Those couple of features look cool. Flow charts, and such.

Markdown is readable by many other system.. 

Interesting. I knew where the Evernote folders were located on the computer, but the folder naming was random characters only understood by Evernote, so I never tried to access anything directly at the folder level.

You can use their payed clod Sync.. or own free sync... (like dropbox.. synology nas ..)

But their sync is really good. Worth for paing it..

Gotcha. Good to know.

7 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

What import option do I use? I will search for it and see if I can find it. I have done zero editing in EN 10 so far, so my 7.14 database is perfect currently. Can I just import the EN file structure?

@ThomasCee my 11 ENEX files added up to just under 2 GB. So I converted them individually to Markdown and made sure all was good with each conversion before moving on to the next ENEX file.

4 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

It has to be said that obsidian requires quite a lot of time to get used to and understand how it works. Evernote and Joplin are clearly easier for most people... 

I love the combination with Evernote. I don't think Obsidian can replace Evernote in everything yet - the primitiveness of Evernote is often an advantage.

7 minutes ago, ferol said:

It has to be said that obsidian requires quite a lot of time to get used to and understand how it works. Evernote and Joplin are clearly easier for most people... 

I love the combination with Evernote. I don't think Obsidian can replace Evernote in everything yet - the primitiveness of Evernote is often an advantage.

Okay really really helpful.

On the last line YESSSSSS! So true! The primitiveness of Evernote was EXACTLY why I loved it so much!

By the way, I discovered your "compilation of requests to submit to Evernote". Fantastic. I'm not actually itching to leave Evernote. It's just my primary work tool.

I don't know if "compact view" has been mentioned by anyone, but in my post above that was my request with photos to compare. If not enough people requested it no worries, but since you were collecting and hopefully fulfilling your dream of becoming popular 😆 I thought I'd add my wishlist item to your database!

And when you become popular tell me how you did it... I could use some tips 😁

14 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Okay really really helpful.

On the last line YESSSSSS! So true! The primitiveness of Evernote was EXACTLY why I loved it so much!

By the way, I discovered your "compilation of requests to submit to Evernote". Fantastic. I'm not actually itching to leave Evernote. It's just my primary work tool.

I don't know if "compact view" has been mentioned by anyone, but in my post above that was my request with photos to compare. If not enough people requested it no worries, but since you were collecting and hopefully fulfilling your dream of becoming popular 😆 I thought I'd add my wishlist item to your database!

And when you become popular tell me how you did it... I could use some tips 😁

Actual theme is really bad... look here..

you are not alone 😏

And I dont need be popular.. I need to work Evernote more usable..  because its my main system for private and work..

ou

Y

18 minutes ago, ferol said:

And I dont need be popular.. I need to work Evernote more usable..  because its my main system for private and work.

I was just laughing and referencing another thread comment about becoming popular with that list :)

But 100% agree. It's my main system too.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

It is really no problem - technically speaking - to place content you want to protect into an encrypted file. Even simple ZIP apps offer the option to encrypt. Attach the file to a note, only open it outside of EN.

Personaly I use another option: My password manager allows to attach files and protected notes. Not like EN, but the few documents I want to have in a protected environment are safe there. Plus if I won’t be able to access my data myself (temporarily or finally …), I need to make only 1 key accessible for those who need to know.

Though if you want to be able to search the contents of an encrypted file something like Mega cloud storage works.  You can index the files and protect them how you like locally.  Your files will sync to other devices and be secure.  Though on iDevices only file name is searchable.  FWIW.

@KGT and @johnm243, can you double click a Joplin note to open it in it's own window?? Am I missing something there? I thought that was a normal feature lol; double click a note and have your note, and your other windows you were working with side by side...?

No. You install the plugin 'Note Tabs' and then you get the charmingly old-fashioned Multiple Document Interface with as many notes as you like open in tabs across the top. Or the side. And you can pin the tabs so they always open with a given note,  even between app restarts.
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ThomasCee said:

Notion has no offline mode, so the OS doesn't really matter.

2 minutes ago, eugenes said:

Notion has no offline mode, so the OS doesn't really matter.

Oh I didn't realize this! All web based?

Gotcha, yeah for sure pass then.

Thank you 👊🏽

31 minutes ago, KGT said:
No. You install the plugin 'Note Tabs' and then you get the charmingly old-fashioned Multiple Document Interface with as many notes as you like open in tabs across the top. Or the side. And you can pin the tabs so they always open with a given note,  even between app restarts.

Ahhhhhhhh okay... Yep... The plugin world... Didn't think to look there.

12 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Oh I didn't realize this! All web based?

Gotcha, yeah for sure pass then.

Thank you 👊🏽

Notion has apps for win and mac. frankly, i tried the apps and saw no reason to use them instead of the browser version since the data is still not local. otherwise, Notion is fine for me (i migrated from EN after the price increase).

On 3/25/2024 at 3:52 PM, johnm243 said:

Did I say that EN was my "private project" @PinkElephant? I don't think so!

FYI, I've been a software trainer and consultant since 1989 (I started training people on WordPerfect 4.2!). And I have been involved in dozens of different beta tests since that time ... including several older versions of EN!

The best apps I have worked with are those that ask clients what features they want on public feedback sites. And then try to implement them if many clients ask for them!

Being a program manager for nearly as long I caution adding features wanted by only one or two people. It's not worth the development if it's not widely used or accepted. It's also good to provide a way to turn the feature off. I'm speaking generally and not to anything you've guys posted.

I remember word perfect, but my first document creator was PCGeos. That was back when you had to type the init string to make your modem dial. Graphical interface sure made PC's a lot easier to use. I remember Apple was first, then Windows tried to mirror then with Windows 3.0.

15 hours ago, johnm243 said:

Thanks @pkmailbox1. I tried "evernote2onenote". It removed all of my formatting so I wasn't impressed.

I also had problems with the sync from OneNote on Windows to OneNote on Android. So I dumped OneNote and moved on with my testing.

Re Palm: I did the same thing with important notes when I moved to Evernote back in 2008 or 2009. Started paying for Evernote back then because it was so much better than others on the market!

John

What problems you had with the sync from OneNote on Windows to OneNote on Android ?    I am using the same, and have not had an issue.  Would like to (1) help if possible, and (2) be aware of specific issues so that I can decide on my choices.   Thanks

5 hours ago, Soapm said:

Being a program manager for nearly as long I caution adding features wanted by only one or two people. It's not worth the development if it's not widely used or accepted. It's also good to provide a way to turn the feature off. I'm speaking generally and not to anything you've guys posted.

I agree 100% @Soapm. That's why I mentioned "The best apps I have worked with are those that ask clients what features they want on public feedback sites. And then try to implement them if many clients ask for them!"!

I wrote this on LinkedIn several years ago:

-----

#LinkedIn's #Feedback is a disaster, it's a black hole where our ideas go to die ... and we never know what happens to them! Many apps and websites have public Feedback, using services like @UserVoice and @Get Satisfaction. With public Feedback, users know what is happening to their ideas and suggestions!

I had a problem with an SaaS service several years ago. I contacted support and was told how to fix it. The support tech suggested that I post on their Feedback site. I dd ... and was very surprised that I had a response within a couple hours saying that they would look at it!

A couple of days later, I was told that the feature I was using was new and that they would update the Help file to make sure that all features for their revamped mobile app would be properly documented!

FYI, here is an article on how Feedback can help a company by @Ryan Holmes, the co-founder of Hootsuite:

Your product is a piece of sh*t: The art of seeking (and embracing) customer feedback http://business.financialpost.com/entrepreneur/small-business/1003-biz-rh-ryan

And take a look at how many votes there are for the Top Ideas at Waze:

https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-client-how-can-we-improve-waze-on-your-phone-

4 hours ago, Soapm said:

You know, I'm thinking EverNote could make a killing selling Legacy as an alternative to their new app...

Or they could have kept the sync going on Evernote Legacy @Soapm: I would have happily kept on paying for Evernote Legacy (even at the new rate) as long as it kept on synchronizing to my other computers and devices!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, pkmailbox1 said:

What problems you had with the sync from OneNote on Windows to OneNote on Android ?    I am using the same, and have not had an issue.  Would like to (1) help if possible, and (2) be aware of specific issues so that I can decide on my choices.   Thanks

I'm not sure @pkmailbox1, my notes aren't very detailed on this. I do remember that, after having many failures (Notion, Obsidian, Zoho Notebook & Obsidian), I was feeling very frustrated and thought I would never find a replacement for Legacy. So when I had an issue with OneNote, I dumped it immediately rather than trying to find the cause.

9 hours ago, ThomasCee said:

Ahhhhhhhh okay... Yep... The plugin world... Didn't think to look there.

@ThomasCee I use a Joplin PlugIn called Note Tabs. Notes that I use frequently are listed in a column to the right and are opened just by clicking on the link in that column. No searches!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, johnm243 said:

@ThomasCee I use a Joplin PlugIn called Note Tabs. Notes that I use frequently are listed in a column to the right and are opened just by clicking on the link in that column. No searches!

Interesting, I installed that plugin, but it still doesn't allow me to pop out a note into it's own window. I have to be dumb and just missing this right? This is my usual "church window setup" lol! Simple Bible app on the left, and the note I'm working with on the right (EN 7.14 in this case).

"Note tabs" plugin does indeed make the tabs on the right hand of the Joplin screen, but can you actually pop the note out?? I must be just missing it right??? Searching yet again!

ScreenShot2024-03-27at11_26_37AM.thumb.png.77d4cb4c88eb57ea0779f088871a8284.png

9 hours ago, johnm243 said:

@ThomasCee here is a link to the Joplin Markdown Guide.

Pretty simple stuff!

Nice looking into that. Did Evernote support Markdown? Seems some commands would act like Markdown. 1. and pressing enter would create a numbered list, * enter would create bullets, I sort of didn't realize the name Markdown was the technical name for the way text operated like that. Interesting.

Did Evernote support Markdown?

Some, not all official markdown... try...

#, ##, ###, ---, [], [x], (), (x), [][][]x4, 1., *, -, ```, ` Code `

Add a space or enter after the markdown type code.

V10 is the closest app to legacy... Joplin & Obsidian and others will need a lot of fussing depending on needs.

2 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Some, not all official markdown... try...

#, ##, ###, ---, [], [x], (), (x), [][][]x4, 1., *, -, ```, ` Code `

Add a space or enter after the markdown type code.

V10 is the closest app to legacy... Joplin & Obsidian and others will need a lot of fussing depending on needs.

Okay thanks. That's kinda what I noticed, some, but not all (but it wasn't an issue, I'm not an avid Markdown user or anything).

10 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

That's kinda what I noticed, some, but not all

Yeah. I don't think the plan was to do "markdown" but to just offer some shortcuts to make creating notes a little quicker.

I find the table shortcut very useful.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Note tabs" plugin does indeed make the tabs on the right hand of the Joplin screen, but can you actually pop the note out??

@ThomasCee I don't think so. Here's a link to the Note Tabs plugin page on GitHub:

https://github.com/benji300/joplin-note-tabs

And here's a link to all Joplin Plugins:

https://github.com/joplin/plugins?tab=readme-ov-file

You'll notice that 2 or 3 have the word "bible" in them! May be useful for you!

I did notice those Bible plugins!

I took a big deep "sigh", yesterday and told myself "Thomas, this isn't a big deal. Joplin will import EN notes well, just switch. It's not a big deal." (I spent way too many work hours on this yesterday).

So I opened Joplin, created a new notebook, created the new note, double clicked on it to pop the note out.... And nothing ha ha ha!! Doesn't support notes in their own windows!

Derailed again lol!

It's all right. Nothing will be perfect.

One thing consistent about life is change right?

Or at least that's what I'm trying to tell myself lol.

@johnm243 or @KGT @ferol (I know you're on the Obsidian app) others who have been playing with Joplin/other apps.

Which view do you use? I've never seen a "double pane view" that it offers as default before. That seems like a clunky way to type no? Is that normal?

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.17.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.17.57 PM.png

33 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

@johnm243 or @KGT @ferol (I know you're on the Obsidian app) others who have been playing with Joplin/other apps.

Which view do you use? I've never seen a "double pane view" that it offers as default before. That seems like a clunky way to type no? Is that normal?

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.17.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.17.57 PM.png

In Obsidian I use at least 2 panels side by side and sometimes even three...  And multiple tabs at the same time... It's highly contagious...

28 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

What that shows @ThomasCee is the Markdown Editor as well as the Rich Text Editor.

If you click on Toggle Editors on the right-hand side, it will switch between editors:

image.png.21a2d1df56fe88457e77a2bca021f034.png

16 minutes ago, ferol said:

In Obsidian I use at least 2 panels side by side and sometimes even three...  And multiple tabs at the same time... It's highly contagious...

Nice. But the two or three panels side by side are different notes correct? Not the same one in two different views?

17 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

What that shows @ThomasCee is the Markdown Editor as well as the Rich Text Editor.

If you click on Toggle Editors on the right-hand side, it will switch between editors:

image.png.21a2d1df56fe88457e77a2bca021f034.png

Do you use Markdown or Rich Text yourself usually? I'm now synced through Dropbox so work done on the laptop now syncs to the tablet. Working so far.

11 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Do you use Markdown or Rich Text yourself usually? I'm now synced through Dropbox so work done on the laptop now syncs to the tablet. Working so far.

In Obsidian :

I use a "combination" of markdown and "wysiwing". For some simple operations I created my own css markdown syntax  blocking snipsets:

bold
italics
some link types
headers
block quotes
highlights
strikethrough

Only for those where it doesn't make problems with editing afterwards..

It's such a good compromise..

Huge thank you to so many of you in this thread! Huge help. I have alot to play with and think over going forward.

Going back to my work, if I see email notifications I may check back in, otherwise work will probably envelop me again ha ha.

Alot of good info, and I appreciate the time everyone took to answer my plethora of questions :)

Cheers all!

11 hours ago, ThomasCee said:

uge thank you to so many of you in this thread! Huge help. I have alot to play with and think over going forward.

Going back to my work, if I see email notifications I may check back in, otherwise work will probably envelop me again ha ha.

Alot of good info, and I appreciate the time everyone took to answer my plethora of questions

A pleasure @ThomasCee, I always learn from those who know more than I do ... so it's great to be able to help others!

On 3/25/2024 at 10:52 PM, johnm243 said:

WordPerfect 4.2

wow, that brings back memories. Wrote my diploma thesis on it on an old 80286 PC. Mastered most of the keyboard shortcuts in the end 🙂

Those were the times where you could almost use your pc being blindfolded...

On 3/27/2024 at 2:10 PM, ThomasCee said:

Nice. But the two or three panels side by side are different notes correct? Not the same one in two different views?

Click on view and you can turn off sidebar and note list which will leave you with the single panel.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:06 PM, ThomasCee said:

Okay epic. Too valid options then. Thanks man.

I'd throw in Eaglefiler and Keep It (not Google Keep). For me on MacOS the closest things to Evernote Legacy, both local, both non-proprietary note storage, finder integraton with spotlight and superior tagging system, icloud, dropbox sync etc. Anything you would want in Legacy plus very responsive (like 2 hrs to 2 days) support by the developer... 

*Two 😂

Eaglefiler didn't catch my fancy, but "Keep It" is wow-beautiful. Your description, were you describing "Keep It" or Eaglefiler? Looks like you were describing "Keep It" from what I can tell.

Can't tell if they have support for other platforms other than the Mac ecosystem, but will look further.

@Feitz

@ThomasCee One other one you might want to check out if you haven't already is UpNote. It's Evernote-like and runs on PC, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. Sync is pretty good. No web client. It is missing some features that Evernote has, but it also has some features that Evernote doesn't have. Max attachment size is just 20 MB. Has a great Evernote ENEX importer. I've heard web clipper is OK, but probably not near as good as Evernote (but no personal experience). It's like a dollar or two a month for the Premium subscription (so you can try out all the features inexpensively), $30 lifetime. (Lots of discussion in these forums over if that is sustainable long term or not.) It's run by a couple of Indie developers based in Vietnam. (Data is stored in Google Firebase in the US, but still lots of debate on security and long-term viability.) You can set up a daily export to markdown -- super slick. Don't put any PII/sensitive documents in there -- which we shouldn't be putting into Evernote either.

See https://medium.com/upnote and https://www.reddit.com/r/UpNote_App/top/?t=year

While Evernote has been my daily driver for 10+ years (three of those years being v10), I've had UpNote for a couple of years and I like to dabble and tinker with it every once in a while. I think it's a pretty slick app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ThomasCee said:

Your description, were you describing "Keep It" or Eaglefiler?

At the moment, only Keep It has a three-pane layout with thumbnails, but Eaglefiler is supposed to get this with the next update (later this year) so they should both be fairly similar to Legacy but I agree Keep It has a slicker interface for the time being. I especially like its tag management.

Both are around for a long time ('Keep It' was formerly called 'Together') and in my experience are very robust. For sync I would prefer Eaglefiler since it can use Dropbox or Synology Drive as well, where Keep It is relying solely on iCloud (which I don't like too much for sync since it seems robust but a bit unpredictable).

Both are Mac only where Keep It also has an iPad version.

What for me is the icing on the cake is the finder integration which allows me to use Leap.app on their respective storage folders. Leap is a superb tag and file management app and both Keep It and EagleFiler will detect changes done from outside by other apps (finder, Leap etc.). 

EDIT: both apps have a very good ENEX importer, I recently imported notebooks with over 4000 notes / large attachments without any issue.

• Thanks 1

I guess that's the difference. Those apps are Mac only, the cross platform options are all Electron. That's great if one is in the Apple ecosystem but not great for Windows or Android users.

On the other side there's really nothing besides OneNote that isn't Electron based.

Fortunately Electron doesn't have to be slow and with time the v10 client will likely get faster, since last year it's already gotten faster.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

not great for Windows or Android users.

In theory I agree but V10 on Android hasn't been of much use until very recently when it got slightly better - in my opinion at least. 

5 minutes ago, Feitz said:

In theory I agree but V10 on Android hasn't been of much use until very recently when it got slightly better - in my opinion at least. 

I agree, the Android app has been a pain point for me. Looks like they are finally working on it.

• Like 1

Keep It 2 looks interesting for those in Mac-only world.  Evernote import works (slower than some tools) but works except it does not attempt to deal with note that link like Yarle, Obsidian, and Joplin can.  Program is small and feels fast.  You can open a note in a window separate from the 3-column pane just like Evernote although it is not quite as friendly to do so (or I have not found it.)  It also supports Grammarly.

The iPhone version of Keep It 2 is less powerful but much less confusing than the Obsidian one IMO.  Seems to support choosing to download notes or not.

On 3/30/2024 at 11:05 AM, Feitz said:

On 3/30/2024 at 11:11 AM, mackid1993 said:

I agree, the Android app has been a pain point for me. Looks like they are finally working on it.

Imagine my surprise, I'm fortunate enough to have two android devices that's lasted me for years that were unable to use V10 because their version of Android is too old. I know my devices are old, but they work and do all I need them to do so I still happily use them and see no need to fork out big bucks for new ones.

• Level 5

The problem with Android is not the age of some devices - it’s the ***** update handling by most makers.

My iPhone 6S+ from 2015 was released with iOS 9. It received full OS updates until 2 years ago, and security updates until recently. It stopped with iOS 15, 2 major releases beyond the minimum iOS 13 release necessary to run EN v10.

So don’t blame EN - either blame manufacturers who do nothing to keep their products alive, or your decision to pay for such a dropware.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The problem with Android is not the age of some devices - it’s the ***** update handling by most makers.

My iPhone 6S+ from 2015 was released with iOS 9. It received full OS updates until 2 years ago, and security updates until recently. It stopped with iOS 15, 2 major releases beyond the minimum iOS 13 release necessary to run EN v10.

So don’t blame EN - either blame manufacturers who do nothing to keep their products alive, or your decision to pay for such a dropware.

Google and Samsung have both gotten better about this finally. But yes for a long time Android devices especially less premium ones would get a year or two of updates and then nothing.

16 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Google and Samsung have both gotten better about this finally. But yes for a long time Android devices especially less premium ones would get a year or two of updates and then nothing.

Not so sure about Google: I have had several Google phones and used to get 4 Android updates. When they stopped security updates for my Pixel One, I was going to replace it with a new Pixel. Then I saw that Google had dropped that down to 3 versions of Android! It's not as though they don't make enough profit already???

I decided to get a Samsung S22 instead: 5 versions of Android!

John

43 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

Not so sure about Google: I have had several Google phones and used to get 4 Android updates. When they stopped security updates for my Pixel One, I was going to replace it with a new Pixel. Then I saw that Google had dropped that down to 3 versions of Android! It's not as though they don't make enough profit already???

I decided to get a Samsung S22 instead: 5 versions of Android!

John

Newer Pixel devices promise 7 years of updates. Google had to cut off updates so soon as they were reliant on Qualcomm to provide drivers. 

Now that they brought their SoC in house they can provide support longer. 

40 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Newer Pixel devices promise 7 years of updates. Google had to cut off updates so soon as they were reliant on Qualcomm to provide drivers. 

Now that they brought their SoC in house they can provide support longer. 

Well, they lost me as a client. And lots of others also: there were hundreds of complaints in the Pixel FB group!

1 hour ago, johnm243 said:

Well, they lost me as a client. And lots of others also: there were hundreds of complaints in the Pixel FB group!

Like I said it wasn't an issue with Google, it was Qualcomm. This changed starting with the Pixel 6 and was further improved with the Pixel 8.

This is off topic from the discussion of this thread though. I wouldn't expect a modern Evernote client to support very old versions of Android. They support Android 9 and up IIRC. If that's an issue for you, sorry you need a new phone. If you are running a 7 year old phone that's on you. 😂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 4/9/2024 at 5:06 PM, Leonardos said:

Transitioning to a new version of any software can be challenging, especially if certain functionalities you depend on are not carried over. It's unfortunate that despite your feedback during the beta testing phase, some of those features were not incorporated into the final release.

Hi @Leonardos - welcome to the forums.  At first glance your posts so far have been rather generic and AI-like.  Are you an actual human being?

• Like 1

He/she/it probably is not human, judging from the ever so slightly critical remarks posted.

Clearly, humans are "V10 aficionado"-s. 

I might must be an AI instance, myself…

• Level 5*

Three or four recent new users appeared to be getting through their first few posts (which get checked more closely than subsequent ones) by using generalised AI generated text,  some of which was obviously not applicable to anything raised in other posts on the same topic.  While I have quoted an AI answer a couple of times,  I'm concerned that if an individual doesn't personally know the answer to an issue,  they're unable to verify that what they're posting is correct - AI's being a tad unreliable in that area.  Those new users are sadly no longer with us.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2024 at 6:14 PM, gazumped said:

Transitioning to a new version of any software can be challenging, especially if certain functionalities you depend on are not carried over. It's unfortunate that despite your feedback during the beta testing phase, some of those features were not incorporated into the final release.

You do not need "new feedback, new reports". You just need to spend one or two days to read this forum. Is should be enough to realize what's wrong with EN v10. Thats enough.

• Level 5

That’s enough - to know that only a small group of users run these posts. Usually with a lot of strong expressions, and short of information.

Personally I would send anybody who just now switched from only using legacy for half a year into read only mode in this forum. Who used deprecated software for more than 3 years and procrastinated with at least using v10 in parallel should first follow his personal learning curve before starting his rants. The forum has a wealth of information and solutions for anybody who is serious about using v10.

Who is switching from legacy will experience a need to adapt his workflows. Who moved with v10 did this step by step. Who stood by until now has it all in one leap. Nobody to blame, who did not adapt over time did bring himself into this situation.

Who is not willing to adapt should better quit now, and leave for another app. Nobody waited for you to switch and start ranting. You didn‘t move earlier out of your own decision, and you are where you are because of it.

I have my own issues with v10 (as with any other app I use), but in general I prefer it 100% over legacy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

That’s enough - to know that only a small group of users run these posts. Usually with a lot of strong expressions, and short of information.

good luck. Force myself with my own payment to learn?? You are trying me to learn "complete new things" after almost 10 years of usage of legacy app?
Yes, fully true. But I will follow my rules, my choice. 99% not for EN anymore.

we were old, solid rock, but valuable and reliable customers (paying every year). Now "new business focus" moved our efforts to trash. Really: "good luck". We have to find our niche again in the market.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gawkla said:

You do not need "new feedback, new reports"

Wasn't me that said that - the author is no longer with us,  since it was irrelevant to the discussion and seemed like typical bland AI-speak.

On the general topic - Legacy was declared obsolete (and potentially dangerous) 3 years ago.  v10 was a new and different product which replaced it,  If you find the new product inadequate for your needs,  there are plenty of other options out there...

• Like 2