Shocking increase in plan price

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're mainly users here in the forums,  and everyone is going through something similar.   The increase was announced a few months ago here - https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/  with some publicity from commentators since.  Evernote had not increased their prices for some years while the controversy over their introduction of the new version 10 rolled on,  and with recent inflation roaring ahead they needed some basis from which to continue their service.  The effect varies because of currencies and onflation and various discount deals that were in place,  and obviously you got one of the extremes.  There's a contact email in the blog post where you can complain,  and maybe see whether there is any accommodation they can offer.

At the end of the day we all have to make the decision:  are the features worth the price?  If not,  there are lots of alternatives out there,  and Steve Dotto recently covered pricing and the mechanics of moving to some of them in his YouTube channel.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

All discounts were 1st year only, and this was clearly communicated on the discount page.

Subscriptions will auto renew. EN says they send emails to customers 4 weeks in advance of the subscription due date. Maybe check your inbox and your spam folder. If holding the subscription through a store, it’s on their turf to notify subscribers. Apple does, I can tell for sure.

If it’s more expensive than an O365 subscription tells nothing - O365 is a mass product, EN is a specialized app with unique features not found in O365.

If it creates value for yourself nobody but you can answer.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Cosette said:

having been a user  for 10+ years, and happily paying

Presumably the same amount?  Evernote hasn't had an increase for several years,  and needs to get back to a viable market price.  If you think the cost is too much,  then downgrade your account to free (your notes will still be available - with some serious restrictions) and move off to one of the other apps in this market.  There's a lot of chatter,  but no agreement that I've seen about which is best.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Level 5

I always read about „the loyal users“. In a subscription model, we pay for a period of use - mostly a year.

When we renewed, we have 100% paid, and 1 year to go. At the end the residual balance on the account is zero, and zero days to go.

The talk about „loyalty“ may be comforting, but it’s beside the facts. If it still creates the value, renew. If not, switch to whatever solution works better. It’s an app, not a citizenship to EN fiefdom.

• Like 1

Well that's a little simplistic, I think. While I pay on a yearly basis, I can't afford to switch services on a yearly basis; the "transaction costs" of switching are simply too high. In that sense it's different from increasing the price of a cup of coffee, where I can just get up and move next door if I don't like the new price. Sudden price hikes like this (almost double!), combined with vague promises of new features (that I didn't ask for)  are not helping consumers to make informed decisions.   

• Like 8
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Rense said:

Sudden price hikes like this

It was announced months ago and I got my personal 'your subscription is going up' notification before it actually did.  You can drop to the free account for a while to consider options,  and actually leave your notes there when you make a decision to use another app in future if you wish.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If you don’t raise the price although everything gets more expensive, and your company didn’t turn a profit ever for several years, how do you call it ?

Everybody could read in time about the price increase, users get a heads up 4 weeks in advance (sometimes to an email address not in use any more, which is not the fault of EN).

This is not sudden, it’s what I expect from a serious company. You are free to decide how to react, from accepting the raise over downgrading your account til exporting your content and leave.

If you want to take some time to explore options and think it over, you have the option to subscribe for a month, instead of yearly.

This should be unsuddening enough for anybody !

• Like 1
On 15/9/2023 at 18:17, Paul Dubbelman dijo:

Long time user of Evernote (10 years+), but not for much longer.  The proposed price hike is unjustified, unreasonable, and will not be tolerated.  I am not paying almost double for a bunch of features that I (and probably many others) do not need, do not want, and will not use.  I will be archiving my existing evernote account on a single machine and will seek more moderately priced note-taking apps that have the features I want.

I really did not want to post this on the forum, but as EN do not appear to have a complaints facility, I have no option

Same here. And Privacy is not warrantee anymore.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 9/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, Paul Dubbelman said:

Long time user of Evernote (10 years+), but not for much longer.  The proposed price hike is unjustified, unreasonable, and will not be tolerated.  I am not paying almost double for a bunch of features that I (and probably many others) do not need, do not want, and will not use.  I will be archiving my existing evernote account on a single machine and will seek more moderately priced note-taking apps that have the features I want.

I really did not want to post this on the forum, but as EN do not appear to have a complaints facility, I have no option

There is a feedback link in the app, which I think is just supposed to generate an email to feedback@evernote.com. You could try there, or the support service to which you have access as a subscriber: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

I get what you're saying, but there's no way of knowing how many will drop Evernote due to the pricing:features ratio. Lots of people say so here, but forums like this naturally collect more complaints than kudos. For myself, I do need, want, and use the new features--some of them already, some still in the future, and the price is worth it to me.

• Like 2

I checked my Quicken to see how long I've been an EN subscriber. Almost 10 years. I started paying $18 annually. EN along with other software developers after being bought, highjacked their premium services 100% or more. I used LogMeIn for years until they did what EN is going to do. I'm done with EN. I'll suffer learning new software, but one has to balk at a 100% hike.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On 9/20/2023 at 8:20 PM, dano009 said:

I'll suffer learning new software, but one has to balk at a 100% hike.

Do your records show you how many years the 'old' Evernote bumbled along without any price increase?  Given current rates of inflation and the long gap since the last increase,  the new owners didn't see any choice but to put Evernote on a par with other services.  It's a big reset.  Like others here,  I still think the features are worth the cost.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You don’t like the French (in fact they are really nice ! ) ?

Then calm down: The new owner is Italian and located in Milan (really, really nice people as well).

About the rest: If you don’t want to continue, define your use case, search for alternatives that cover your demand, move your data. This can be simple or demanding, depending on your use case. Mac users are better of than those on Windows.

Or you find out now how much value the specific combination of features EN offers creates for you, and decide to stay.

Your choice.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, PinkElephant said:

If it’s more expensive than an O365 subscription tells nothing - O365 is a mass product, EN is a specialized app with unique features not found in O365.

If it creates value for yourself nobody but you can answer.

Again, we have calculators.  The cost of using Evernote for ten years will be more than a used vehicle.

This is a note taking app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, SuperTRev said:

This is a note taking app.

People who are upset about the price increase keep saying this, and they're right, if all they mean by "note taking" is shopping lists and occasional reminders. Evernote is way overpriced for that, which is because (I would say) it is a research gathering/organizing and idea storing and managing app, with features for storage of documents and images and for creating and handling tasks. Note taking is part of that, but really only the beginning. If you are going to violin lessons or delivering pizzas, a bicycle or motor scooter is enough. If you are building buildings, you need something more heavy duty. And costly.

• Like 5

As much as I love Evernote and have provided many new users, I can't continue at the increased cost. I'm a retired person and on a limited income, unable to afford the increased cost. I guess I'll just have to figure out how to go back to the free version until I can find another app that will do similar things that are not trying to get rich rather than serve their users at a reasonable price.

• Level 5

To go back to Free, simply cancel your subscription. If subscribed directly, do it from the EN website. If you used one of the stores, cancel there.

Your subscription will end with the period you paid, and the account is downgraded. Make sure you unsync all devices (including except the 2 you continue to use) before this happens !

I understand defenders but defenders also should understand that it is true that we first started paying at afordable price for some people. I don't think it is bad idea the new features but what I think is not reasonable or right  is to push people to more advanced features if they are fine with what they had from start.

They should have offered a premium or gold plan or any name they want so we could have free users and then 2 or 3 levels of payd users been the first level the minimum price like 20€ that is how all this began for me. You want all features? pay 120€, I find that much more reasonable.

I started with evernote because it was cheap and fast and simple and some people like me thinks those things are gone now. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5

The price and feature mix is a management decision.

Obviously even the old management found a subscription with a 20-30$ price tag not sustainable - that was 5 years ago, when the Plus subscription was removed. They repeated that mistake shortly after (maybe by pressure from the owners) by rebating the Premium plan, which still until today leaves a number of users on grandfathered subscriptions. Usually you force an „up or out“ during the next subscription period, which wasn‘t done either.

It is a fact the company was not profitable for years, then was sold to a new owner. They need to find out what‘s best for EN - going on as before and hoping for better results is not a promising approach. Now every user needs to do the same for himself. Accept the price, or reject it. If rejected, go for Free, or leave completely. It is a set of simple decisions, shouldn‘t be so hard to take them.

• Like 4
On 9/22/2023 at 3:42 AM, gazumped said:

Like others here,  I still think the features are worth the cost.  YMMV.

I have to say, while I liked the OP's post (and still do), I agree with this too.

Some people get a ton of use out of Evernote and they use a majority of it's features and/or they use or rely on features that are mostly unique to it. Yes they might grumble about the price increase but they also see enough value in Evernote to see that it's worth that.

Some people might be using Evernote as a basic note taking app and for them it definitely isn't worth the increase in price since there are other apps out there that can do what they need.

Some people might be in between those two.

Me? I have to constantly remind myself why Evernote is worth it to me because it's too easy to start chasing other potential shiny objects! (And the price increase makes me re-evaluate more often than I used to. To be clear, I know this is a "me" problem.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

The plus plan didn’t succeed before but now that the price is $129, maybe an entry plan makes sense now.  I realize that finding the right feature balance for a lower price plan could be challenging.  Everyone has their own opinion on what that should be, but it might be worth trying again.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Driving prices up first, to then say „sorry“ and introduce a low performing new plan is not what I would expect to happen.

But it all depends on the retention rate when more and more subscriptions come up for renewal.

My best bet would be something else: The stop of the infinite Free plan, maybe to be replaced by „Free infinite“ on a low budget subscription level. But that’s a personal view, no further insight involved.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

This is a good discussion. Like @Boot17, I agree with many of the diverse opinions expressed. If a low-price plan with a limited set of features can be created, it might be very popular, and might even help people move upward more comfortably from free to low-price ("I could use that feature, and I can pay this price") to Personal (ditto). Of course, the haggling over what features belong in the low-price version and what should be in Personal or higher would be massive. But that's what these forums are for, eh?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My best bet would be something else: The stop of the infinite Free plan, maybe to be replaced by „Free infinite“ on a low budget subscription level.

That would be my preference as well, but if their intent is to keep the free plan then I think a lower entry point option would be helpful, assuming the new rates are adversely impacting retention.

• Like 3

It's hilarious how level 4 and 5 users (most presumably affiliated with the company in some form) support the price increase while level 1 and 2 users complain about it. That's fine. PR changes nothing. There's a market for an entry level plan where people would just write text notes without calendars, tasks, reminders and all the other bells and whistles. Evernote is not interested in that market, which is again fine. Hasta la vista , baby!

I will have to commend Evernote though for supporting the export functionality.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

If you just want to write notes, EN even donates you the plan: It’s called Free, it’s for free, and you can hardly type enough in a month to ever get a problem with the upload limit.

If you mean they should put a price tag on the long term use of that level, you may not be alone … others might says it’s a hilarious proposal.

If somebody is „affiliated“ with EN you can see at the badge. Staff is affiliated, EN alumni is former staff.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2023 at 9:46 PM, bcalmac said:

It's hilarious how level 4 and 5 users (most presumably affiliated with the company in some form) support the price increase

Yeah - really funny how people that are really invested into Evernote enough to come to the forums to discuss ideas and solutions (and not just complain) want it to continue to be a viable product. Hilarious indeed.

Also - let me just say that I personally hate the price increase -- in case it wasn't clear from my earlier comments. I think Bending Spoons should have figured out a way to get money from Free users to keep the product viable vs milking the paying users more.

• Like 8
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, bcalmac said:

It's hilarious how level 4 and 5 users (most presumably affiliated with the company in some form) support the price increase while level 1 and 2 users complain about it.

I'm going to  push back on  this too, just because I'm tired of being lied about. Why not assume, on the other hand, that level 1 users are trolls? Or maybe just not make assumptions about other people's motives just because they don't agree with your opinion.

• Like 6
On 9/28/2023 at 7:41 AM, PinkElephant said:

If you just want to write notes, EN even donates you the plan: It’s called Free, it’s for free, and you can hardly type enough in a month to ever get a problem with the upload limit.

Not true. The 2-device sync limit makes it unusable. I don't want it for free. I want to pay a reasonable amount for the value it brings me.

12 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm going to  push back on  this too, just because I'm tired of being lied about. Why not assume, on the other hand, that level 1 users are trolls? Or maybe just not make assumptions about other people's motives just because they don't agree with your opinion.

It's not an assumption. It's a logical conclusion based on reading this thread. You'd reach the same conclusion if you graphed forum level vs support for the price increase.

But even if I made an assumption, it's free speach and I can assume all I want.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@bcalmac oh, you want to pay a reasonable price ? Well, the reasonable price is always what the vendor is asking for. Then you decide to buy, or to skip. Sometimes you may get a rebated offer, which means you can cut the price somewhat if you can wait  - that’s what all the BlackFriday-Junkies do when they help the industry to clean out the stockpiles of unsold merchandise.

You know the reasonable price for EN - you just need to take a buying decision.

Of course there is free speech. In case it is not paired with some reasoning, you end up like it is happening here just now. And you did it yourself, so no help by complaining that the world is not fair.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, bcalmac said:

It's not an assumption. It's a logical conclusion based on reading this thread. You'd reach the same conclusion if you graphed forum level vs support for the price increase.

I think in many cases you are confusing support for acceptance.  It is no surprise that those of us that have enjoyed using and discussing this software for years have gotten to the acceptance stage quickly. We find value in the product and after some internal debate we’ve made our decision.

I can’t speak for everyone but I doubt anyone is happy about the increase. I’m not and I think it is too high for what it provides and I think the increase was ill timed, but the company made the decision and set their price. I spent time reviewing other options and came to the conclusion that although I don’t like the price, I accept it and have renewed for another year. Next year I will go through this decision process again.

If someone is not getting the full value out of Evernote and only using it for simple notes or grocery lists then yes, the price is shocking and they should either move to the free plan or another app.

• Like 5
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, bcalmac said:

But even if I made an assumption, it's free speach and I can assume all I want.

It is a conclusion, but not a logical one. You can certainly assume all you want, but making false statements about others in public is not anyone's right.

• Like 1

I just found out that Evernote will increase my subscription fee by 60% in a single jump! This is outrageous and really unjustifiable. I could understand an increase in line with inflation and even a little more to account for upgrades and new features. But a 60% increase? 

Unfortunately, this will cause me to migrate to a different platform, perhaps MS OneNote that is free with my O365 subscription. It won't be as good or as elegant but it will give me the essentials of what I need. If EN lowers their fees then I may come back but when this subscription ends, so too does my long association with EN. Too bad, but this is a very bad management decision on the part of the owners of EN-- they will lose faithful customers like me.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, jeffok7 said:

I just found out that Evernote will increase my subscription fee by 60% in a single jump! This is outrageous and really unjustifiable. I could understand an increase in line with inflation and even a little more to account for upgrades and new features. But a 60% increase? 

Unfortunately, this will cause me to migrate to a different platform, perhaps MS OneNote that is free with my O365 subscription. It won't be as good or as elegant but it will give me the essentials of what I need. If EN lowers their fees then I may come back but when this subscription ends, so too does my long association with EN. Too bad, but this is a very bad management decision on the part of the owners of EN-- they will lose faithful customers like me.

Yes, the increase is a shocker.  You'll see some reasons and justifications for it in the forum, which you may or may not agree with, but the bottom line is that we each have to decide if we are receiving enough value from the app to continue paying.  As you investigate options, keep in mind that you can also drop down to the free plan if you can live with the restrictions.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2023 at 1:15 AM, PinkElephant said:

@bcalmac oh, you want to pay a reasonable price ? Well, the reasonable price is always what the vendor is asking for.

This is absolutely insane. It doesn't matter. I'm terminating my subscription as we speak. Aside from issue discussed in the topic, the level of aggressiveness against those that complain is way toxic. Bye everyone.

• Level 5

Just go ahead. I will never understand why adult people make such a fuzz about it. I don’t remember you complaining when everything went up, just EN kept their prices.

If you valued what you got, you should maybe have expressed your concern back then ? If you just took it for granted, be happy about the donated money. Your subscription was too cheap to be sustainable !

If you use a service is a) completely your own decision b) should be based on the balance between price and value received and c) is always based on your use cases.

Don’t like b or c any more, or just feel like a: Move on, it’s a free world.

If you search the forum you may find some helpful threads about what to observe when exporting your data. So much about „hostility“ …

• Like 1
On 9/15/2023 at 11:17 PM, Paul Dubbelman said:

Same here.  Been a subscriber for 11 years.  The product is not worth any more than last year or the year before, or the year before.  As for new 'features', I can't really think of anything of use to me being added.  Everything it did when I subscribed 11 years ago is all I needed it to do.   This latest "AI Cleanup" thing crowding out my toolbar is very annoying too.   I've already started migration to OneNote (free).  I will however initially miss the tagging feature of Evernote - but I'll get over that.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, octans said:

The product is not worth any more than last year or the year before, or the year before.

Your money is worth much,  much less however...  But if you want to move to OneNote,  that's your choice.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Your money is worth much,  much less however...  But if you want to move to OneNote,  that's your choice.

True.   And my money is worth even less against a very strong $US - meaning non-US users have an even bigger increase.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, octans said:

Same here.  Been a subscriber for 11 years.  The product is not worth any more than last year or the year before, or the year before.  As for new 'features', I can't really think of anything of use to me being added.  Everything it did when I subscribed 11 years ago is all I needed it to do.   This latest "AI Cleanup" thing crowding out my toolbar is very annoying too.   I've already started migration to OneNote (free).  I will however initially miss the tagging feature of Evernote - but I'll get over that.

But how much did the price go up the year before, or the year before, or the several years before that? Wisely or unwisely, Bending Spoons bundled several years worth of price increases (and some other expenses needing to be recovered, I'm sure) into one large raise. As for the value of the features, everyone needs to decide that for themselves. Frankly, I didn't necessarily know what I needed Evernote to do, until it started doing more. Hope it goes well with OneNote. Heaven help them if they ever add a feature.

• Like 1

I see that there is an offer to downgrade from the Personal Plan to the Free Plan mentioned repeatedly, yet there does not appear to be a process to do that.  Can anyone direct me to where this lives so I can avoid this shocking price increase?

I believe you go here:-

Settings | Plan & billing | Go to your profile | {on the website now} Billing tab | "Cancel your evernote subscription

..it doesn't actually cancel, but downgrades to free level.   I haven't yet done it myself, but will do so before my next payment is due.

• Level 5

Correct, that‘s the way if you have subscribed directly with EN.

If you hold your subscription through one of the stores, you need to cancel it there.

In both cases your account will downgrade to Free once your current subscription period is over. This means you don‘t need to wait until it becomes due - with a risk that it has already renewed. If you have say 10 months left, and cancel your subscription today, you have still 10 months on your existing subscription, and can‘t forget anything because it will downgrade by itself then.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:43 PM, Cosette said:

I have to say that after having been a user  for 10+ years, and happily paying, I'm shocked, disappointed, and appalled at the 2x annual subscription rate hike for personal use!!!! This is insanely ridiculous, and disrespectful to the users - especially the loyal users.  $129 per year for personal use? For most this tool is a place to store ideas collected around the web. 

It's not Microsoft office or Google workspace. The tool is not that robust for $129 per year. You can argue that evernote has improved  - but essentially it's just tried to add the same capabilities most "workspace" stuff already has. It's strength originally was capturing inspiration and information from around the web.

As soon as I am able to export my Evernote library of 10+ years. I will be cancelling and leaving for good.

You and many others. I did not get an 80% raise in SS

• 4 weeks later...

After contemplating whether or not to stay with the price increase I decided to bail and use a different platform. I converted all my notes, reorganized everything and now they make me an offer to stay at approximately the current price. WTF Evernote? Now I want to tell you to GFY.

image.png.4abee0616b3204e4230be67ac1a9ff49.png

• Level 5

Oh, this is no problem. Practically every other note taking app will happily accept your ENEX export. That was the simple part, thank you for asking.

If it will serve you well, you need to find out yourself. You tell nothing about your use, so no advise.

And beware: They happily import your data. Setting it free again if you want to leave is another story …

• Like 1

I tried to support Evernote for years. But at over 210 $ cad per year its not worth it at all. I will not renew and transfer everything to onenote which with Ms365 costs less for all apps and unlimited everything, than JUST evernote. I really hope you go bankrupt, its all what you merit.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Interesting perspective, although …

I hope you used EN because you took value for yourself - it never was a charity

If it creates enough value with the new price depends on your personal use case. When your use case is simple and flexible enough to solve it with standard MS tools, go for it. For me the question arises why you haven’t done it before …

Your best wishes are noted. I hope you have less acid recommendations at fate when you part from other long term partners. Very, very poor …

• Like 3
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, philippe.rostin said:

I tried to support Evernote for years. But at over 210 $ cad per year its not worth it at all. I will not renew and transfer everything to onenote which with Ms365 costs less for all apps and unlimited everything, than JUST evernote. I really hope you go bankrupt, its all what you merit.

Why should I, or anyone else on this forum, deserve to go bankrupt because Evernote costs more than it is worth to you? We are just other users, as you have been in the past. Please direct your bad wishes to Evernote directly: feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes the prices changed...all is depend what value Evernote for you...

From my side (Canada) my personal subscription as going from 89,99 to 159,00 $ yes...69.01 $ increase...

So I make a clean up on my subscription (newspapers and magazines that I no longer read) and save a total of 237 $ / years...

So I will paid 159 $ for Evernote and life will continu...

Thanks

• Like 4

The same happened to me, they charge 330% more from my previous subscription with no consent, and this is totally unacceptable.

You should first downgrading, if not an acknowledge received by the customer and then move to an new plan.

The practice to charge x3,5 from the last time with no approval by the client, is like you're stealing our pockets.  

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, George Dimopoulos said:

The same happened to me

As reported here - https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148839-charged-amount-300-over-my-agreed-subscription-plan/#comment-707817

Please don't post multiple comments on the same point.  Evernote - like most other subscription services online - notified changes generally in April and has been sending out individual emails since.  Anyone who missed those and disagrees with the charges (which in the UK amount to a cup of coffee per WEEK) is welcome to downgrade to free or request a refund.

• Level 5

You can discuss this with support, or send feedback through the help menu of the apps.

Some users would be grateful that they were allowed to stay on a long terminated subscription for years, paying much less than all other subscribers with nearly no additional restrictions. And some start crying "foul" when their close-to-free-ride takes a bumpy end.

Everything you want to do now is with support. You got the link and all necessary information. Farewell.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This price hike is indeed too much.

Today, I got annoyed by Onenote and thought, "Well why not give Evernote a go."

Then I got to the Evernote site and realized it now costs more than the whole Office 365 package with all its applications, email, storage etc.

Thanks, but no thanks Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When MS Office is for you, why do you tell ? Wrong place here to tell everybody how great Office is for you.

Just for pricing ? It does create the value you are looking for, or it doesn't. There is a million things I won't buy, because I don't need them, so they hold no value. Oh, among them is an MS Office subscription. No thanks, can do without. For the little value it has, it's too expensive.

If EN creates value, you get it, else you ignore it. Why you said you want to tell you don't  ?

Oh, forget about it, you get what you want.

Totally insane. $69.99 with a discount last year ... to $129.99 this year. Who do they think they are doubling the price!??

Unfortunately, I'll have to start looking at alternatives now and migrate all my notes off this platform.

Evernote, you can increase the pricing, but you can't be greedy. 

• Level 5

Who they think they are ? Wrong place to ask this question, just other users here.

Contact support, maybe you receive sort of an answer.

What in fact can be noted is that the years before, there were no raises at all for the subscribers, for several years in a row. Still makes the subscription one of my most expensive ones.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For me, roughly $10/month is great value—

—compared to a few cups of coffee per month, or even the gas and wear-and-tear on my car driving to a coffee shop, or multiple online TV subscriptions, or local TV channels on cable TV, let alone the absurdly high price most of us pay for cellphone service in the US, or the two $20/month cellular data plans for our cars, or magazines (paper and online subscriptions), other software subscriptions...etc..

For the all the features in a paid subscription that I use, EN is tremendous value, and would be one of the last things I would give up if I were short of cash!

• Like 4
On 12/7/2023 at 2:00 PM, FLoughan said:

Totally insane. $69.99 with a discount last year ... to $129.99 this year. Who do they think they are doubling the price!??

Unfortunately, I'll have to start looking at alternatives now and migrate all my notes off this platform.

Evernote, you can increase the pricing, but you can't be greedy. 

Of course they can. It's a business, not a charity. (And a lot of charities are really businesses anyway...)

If they double the price, and a quarter of paying customers leave, they are still making 1.5 times the old revenue with the remaining customers. The trick is to properly estimate the price increase so the number of remaining paying users is high enough. So far, I don't think they've miscalculated.

There's more than a few alternatives, although none is a direct replacement.

• Like 2
On 9/13/2023 at 10:51 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  We're mainly users here in the forums,  and everyone is going through something similar.   The increase was announced a few months ago here - https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/  with some publicity from commentators since.  Evernote had not increased their prices for some years while the controversy over their introduction of the new version 10 rolled on,  and with recent inflation roaring ahead they needed some basis from which to continue their service.  The effect varies because of currencies and onflation and various discount deals that were in place,  and obviously you got one of the extremes.  There's a contact email in the blog post where you can complain,  and maybe see whether there is any accommodation they can offer.

At the end of the day we all have to make the decision:  are the features worth the price?  If not,  there are lots of alternatives out there,  and Steve Dotto recently covered pricing and the mechanics of moving to some of them in his YouTube channel.

is there a way to export articles and files to another service?  I do not think so. Evernote has made this impossible to trap users in their system.  It's not worth 124/year but many of us are imprisoned in evernote with so much content that we do not want to lose.  Blithely suggesting to switch to another service is hilariously IGNORANT.  Prove me wrong please.  This is too much to pay for a subscription but I see no way to "leave."  Please show me a way out with my content?

is there a way to export articles and files to another service?  I do not think so. Evernote has made this impossible to trap users in their system.  It's not worth 124/year but many of us are imprisoned in evernote with so much content that we do not want to lose.  The suggestion to just switch to another service is ignorant no?  Is there a way to move to another service and bring your content-- perhaps 1000 articles and studies and notes and recipes saved and tagged?

• Level 5*

Please do not post the same question multiple times.  Research other note apps.  Most, maybe all, can import Evernote data.  There is a lot of information on the forum.  You are not the first person here to complain about the price increase and want to move on.  

• Like 3

I am out!  Been a member since 2009.  Can totally afford this but as a matter of principle I will not stay with a company who would do this.  My 365 account doesn't cost this much.  What are you thinking.  I should have switched to apple notes or OneNote years ago but I stayed loyal to you.  Now this???  Bye!

• Level 5
6 hours ago, gradym said:

I am out!  Been a member since 2009.  Can totally afford this but as a matter of principle I will not stay with a company who would do this.  My 365 account doesn't cost this much.  What are you thinking.  I should have switched to apple notes or OneNote years ago but I stayed loyal to you.  Now this???  Bye!

Hi. Here's what I personally am thinking: In case you didn't read anything in this thread before you posted (really? you didn't?), these are user-to-user forums. You are not addressing Evernote here. You can do so at feedback@evernote.com. Bye.

• Like 2

Just reading about the price increase now...must have missed the discussion in the past.

I can see how this is fine for corporate users who take advantage of the many features, however I do wish there was some kind of feature-limited "lower-cost" tier for people who use this for note-taking and nothing else.  I have no interest in the AI tools, email or even calendar features... just something that reliably takes notes and stores them with a history.  I suppose I now have to convince my employer to keep subscribing, so we will see.

I know this is a user-to-user forum, but if anyone from EV is reading, perhaps consider something more limited as an entry-point for people who want the basics....limited features, limited uploads per day....you never know how many of them will upgrade in the future.

The price increase is crazy. I've been a paying subscriber for 14 years. But in 2 years we've gone from 29 euros to 59 euros to 99 euros. The e-mail (deliberately vague in its subject and sent in the middle of a newsletter from evernote) talks about changes and says that you don't pay more for an exact product. Except that the features mentioned (such as synchronization) are simple bug fixes. I was charged yesterday, asked for a refund and now I'm off somewhere else.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

I am shocked and upset by this price increase. I have two personal accounts for different projects, but now I don’t see the point in paying even for one. (I was thinking about switching to the free plan until I found out its new terms. Now I'm even more discouraged. I really can't afford the new terms, especially for two accounts).
  I don't think Evernote will benefit from this price increase, judging by how many people are switching to a free subscription or other apps. If the owners were Japanese, they might have apologized and changed their minds. I wish Evernote management would show a little more humility than to send a truly great product to the bottom.
Finally, vote. Or introduce more tariffs with new features for those who need them. I don't need additional AI in the application, ChatGPT functions are enough for me.
P.S. I wrote this to express my opinion because I care about the fate of the product. I don’t need comments of my opinion from lvl 5 users and their (often arrogant) advice, since I read their arguments and they did not convince me.
PSS I really enjoyed Evernote and hope management finds a way to make a more informed decision.

• Like 3

I wonder how many users are similar to me - been using Evernote for several years on the free plan, pretty simple user (basic notes, tags)....have roughly 800 notes. Would have been fine paying something each year for this app, but not $128 a year as a very basic user. Just checked out UpNote - fits my needs perfectly and is $30 for lifetime license.

Evernote preventing me from creating a new note on the free plan (over the new 50 max limit) is a wild move without offering a lower cost price plan than $128/yr. And the craziest part of all of this for me is that Evernote on Mac has had much worse performance the past few versions. Not sure if it's my Mac, compatibility or what, but it definitely drags its feet while loading notes. If performance was better, I most likely would have paid for a plan if the cost was right. The search field is frustrating also - you've clicked into it and start typing only to realize you're cursor has been kicked out somewhere else or something to do with the auto-suggest loading causes the issue.

Once a happy Evernote user, don't need all of the extras, would have paid something reasonable for simple usage/plan, now going to UpNote. I imagine their new pricing isn't concerned with users like me however. Who knows.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Their new pricing is high and interesting in that it is the entry point.  I suppose the tradeoff with a lower entry point is then how many would drop their current membership down to this new level.  They are pricing this to be a premium app.  I'm not sure I would call it premium yet, but I've signed up for another year to see how this develops. For a casual note user, Evernote is no longer a good fit.  There are plenty of other, and lower-cost app options.  It does appear that current free users are being offered a 40% discount to subscribe if they want to stay with Evernote.

FWIW, I'm also a Mac user and have no problems with performance at all.  If you are interested in trying to fix that, I would suggest downloading the latest version from the Evernote website, and not the AppStore.  If that doesn't fix it for you, a complete uninstall with AppCleaner may be necessary, and then reinstall.

• Like 1

It is interesting to hear the different perspectives of users.  My take-away from this thread:

• Evernote is now being positioned as a premium business product
  • My limited use-case (and others like me) don't really fit with who Evernote is targeting

At every organization I've worked with, the tools we use often come from the bottom up: some people start using something, and it gains traction so that the upper-ups eventually adopt it. I do question if not providing an entry point for basic users to get into the ecosystem is a wise choice, but it is theirs to make.  I know where I am, they will argue Office 365 costs less and provides more, so it will be a tough sell.  Will see how things evolve I guess.

• Like 1

I truly wish Bending Spoons / New Evernote the best of luck in 2024.  Sadly, I cannot be part of it.  For those looking to leave the platform, The Verge has a great article on moving away: https://www.theverge.com/23462732/evernote-export-notebook-how-to.  I hope this helps!

PS  Before anyone throws acid my way for being a Free tier member, please note I've been a paying customer for 15+ years. I let my subscription lapse this year because I'm leaving. 👍

Edited by kbklv
Added my ps
  • Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, kbklv said:

I hope this helps!

It may not... 

• they suggest exporting all notes in one go - not a god idea unless you want to lose your notebook structure
  • also downloading an older version of Evernote from the Internet Archive - that may no longer work with some newer operating systems...

Exporting is simple and easy from the v10 Desktop and is freely available to any current user.  The Verge has just rehashed a 2019 story into new clickbait. 

• Like 2

Hello Evernote management.

Apparently my annual subscription will renew at more than double the previous cost.  $54 -> $130.   Although I love Evernote, the way I use it does not justify the new price for the "Personal" plan increase which is unacceptable and unaffordable to me.  If there is no reasonably priced plan (between Free and Personal) introduced  by the month before my renewal, I will be transferring my notes and cancelling my subscription.

Sincerely,

8-year Evernote user

• Like 1

I have the following question. If you go to the payments page in your account (evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action), the renewal price is indicated there. At the moment it is not the same as the tariff plans and is the same amount that I paid last year. Does this mean that I will be charged this amount when the renewal time comes, and not at the new rates? Or is this false information related to shortcomings, and the system will charge in accordance with the price increase, that is, twice as much? What does it look like for you?

• Level 5
18 minutes ago, RichardThomas said:

I have the following question. If you go to the payments page in your account (evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action), the renewal price is indicated there. At the moment it is not the same as the tariff plans and is the same amount that I paid last year. Does this mean that I will be charged this amount when the renewal time comes, and not at the new rates? Or is this false information related to shortcomings, and the system will charge in accordance with the price increase, that is, twice as much? What does it look like for you?

I'm seeing the same thing on my billing page (https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action). I also saw it last year, and was charged the amount shown, not the new price for my subscription level, on my renewal date (which is in May). I plan to keep a close eye on it as that date approaches.

• Like 1