Rolling out Evernote mobile 10.53

Hey Federico, 

the update on iOS is going very well so far. One bug I've had since I think the last update is that when I swipe from left to right on the home screen to view my notebooks and I scroll down to my lower notebooks it starts flickering and I can't access them. This was gone for a short time but is now back. It is difficult to explain, I hope so it is understandable. 

Otherwise, I have the feeling that it runs extremely smoothly so far.

Greetings Sven 

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Svense said:

Hey Federico, 

the update on iOS is going very well so far. One bug I've had since I think the last update is that when I swipe from left to right on the home screen to view my notebooks and I scroll down to my lower notebooks it starts flickering and I can't access them. This was gone for a short time but is now back. It is difficult to explain, I hope so it is understandable. 

Otherwise, I have the feeling that it runs extremely smoothly so far.

Greetings Sven 

This happens in v. 10.52 of the Android app with the list of tags (see the forum thread here). I haven't got access to v. 10.53 yet.

Hi, I am already on 10.53 and can confirm, that the bug (2) is still present. Pasting an internal note link in the Android app only inserts a web link not an internal link as the menu says. Instead adding the note link via the new menu (+ symbol) adds a correct internal link.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Federico Simionato and everyone, hope you are well.

My Evernote mobile app (Android 10.52.2) does not seem to sync with Evernote server for new notes and updated notes since 10 August 2023, restarted my Samsung phone did not resolve the issue. Evernote web and Evernote MacBook seem fine. Not too sure if my issue is related to this thread as my Evernote mobile app has not been upgraded to 10.53, but FYI. Will raise a ticket separately.

Thanks.

Yeah .53 is working really well for me. The most stable it’s ever been for me - I’m actually beginning to trust sync and not have to worry about data loss! Go in do some work, close app, repeat, no issues. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I think it remains paused. There will be folk who got 10.53.1 on Android before the pause. iOS received it because there wasn't a staged roll out for that OS.

I wouldn't expect 10.53 resuming for Android before the end of this week. Perhaps early next.

• Administrator

We just resumed gradual rollout of 10.53.1 on both Android and iOS.

There is still some slowness that I wanted to solve, but 10.53 in general is much better than 10.52, so even if not 100% perfect, it's still an improvement.

We'll likely release more 10.53.x fixes over the next few days or couple of weeks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

To comment on the slowness on iOS: If it is better than 10.53 I won’t comment, because I didn’t really test it before.

But with 10.53.1 installed, and after trying logout/ login and even a forced device restart, the time to create a new note is painfully slow: I measured between 20 and 40 seconds from tapping the green + until the new empty note appears.

It used to be 1-2 seconds !

On 8/8/2023 at 9:25 AM, Federico Simionato said:

It's a phased rollout, it will go out gradually over this week.
If you can't wait, on iOS you can update by directly visiting the App Store page. On the Play Store unfortunately you need to wait, there is no way to update manually.

Changelog:

• (Android only) Restored the passcode lock screen.
  • Fixed a sketchpad duplication bug.
  • Fixed the layout of the Insert menu in landscape mode on some devices.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause new Sketch notes to be created inside the default notebook instead of the selected notebook.
  • Fixed a bug that could prevent you from typing in the "Find in note" field.
  • Fixed an untimely debug message that could appear after login.
  • Fixed Japanese typing delay during real-time collaboration sessions.

As said in other messages, we're focusing on speed, stability and reliability, so:
👉 Please report in this thread any issue you might find on this new mobile version

Hi, are you sure the passcode lock screen was restored? I have no available update on playstore (i updated the app last week) and it removed the passlock... any ideas?

• Level 5
30 minutes ago, kay737 said:

Hi, are you sure the passcode lock screen was restored? I have no available update on playstore (i updated the app last week) and it removed the passlock... any ideas?

If you updated last week, that was v. 10.52.2, which did indeed remove the passcode lock because of a bug. 10.53 restores it, as I understand. But I think they're a little bit at the mercy of Google for when things show up in the Play Store and in which locations. I'm not seeing it yet either (in the southern U.S.), but I keep checking.

On 8/9/2023 at 12:03 AM, erichong said:

Have you noticed that Evernote 10.53 on iOS and iPadOS has a problem where creating a new note is very slow and new notes cannot be synchronized? Have others also encountered the same issue?

Same here. Here's the trouble ticket I created:

#3734886 - Evernote for iPhone 10.53.1 is NOT SYNCING reliably

I updated Evernote on my iPhone 13 Max Pro to version 10.53.1, and it has NOT been functioning properly yesterday or today. 

Today, syncs from Mac version 10.60.4 and iPad 10.52.2 are syncing back and forth fine, but Mac syncs are not appearing reliably on iPhone 10.53.1. 

Yesterday, I could not create a new Text Note at all on iPhone. Today, I can – but it takes longer than usual – but it takes a long time to sync to iPad and Mac.

I tried killing and restarting Evernote on iPhone and powering the iPhone off and restarting it. I did notice that the Mac and iPad versions required me to log back into my account (and I have 2FA enabled), but the iPhone did NOT prompt me to do that.

Obviously, I'm going to delay updating Evernote on my iPad. Wish I could revert to the prior version* on iPhone, because that worked fine two days ago.

* ETA: it seems I updated to 10.53 on my iPhone a week ago, and it had been functioning fine for me. My problems began when it updated to 10.53.1 two days ago.

Edited by rdj999
add information
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

We just resumed gradual rollout of 10.53.1 on both Android and iOS.

There is still some slowness that I wanted to solve, but 10.53 in general is much better than 10.52, so even if not 100% perfect, it's still an improvement.

We'll likely release more 10.53.x fixes over the next few days or couple of weeks.

Please see serious issues I am having with 10.53.1 on iPhone (iOS 16.6) but was NOT having on 10.53, installed last week.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:08 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If you updated last week, that was v. 10.52.2, which did indeed remove the passcode lock because of a bug. 10.53 restores it, as I understand. But I think they're a little bit at the mercy of Google for when things show up in the Play Store and in which locations. I'm not seeing it yet either (in the southern U.S.), but I keep checking.

Gotcha! thanks for the information :) will keep checking too! Good luck

• Like 1
On 8/9/2023 at 12:03 AM, erichong said:

Have you noticed that Evernote 10.53 on iOS and iPadOS has a problem where creating a new note is very slow and new notes cannot be synchronized? Have others also encountered the same issue?

Yes, among other things: I can’t delete notes either, can’t save to my device (stuck in an infinite loop), etc.

• Level 5

I finally got v. 10.53.1 it on Google Play today. Unfortunately, it does not fix the sketching issue as described in multiple threads in the Android support forum. I even restarted the phone after installing it, and no joy. @Federico Simionato, please look at these threads (there may be others) for an issue in which sketching, with the S Pen or with a finger, on Samsung devices is not working:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi!

Recently when I press the android back button while editing a note the app exits instead of going back to list of notes. I have tried deleting app storage and reinstalling the app.

It is the same in version 10.53.1

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Android 13, One UI 5.1

here is a thread I started:

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

• Level 5
10 minutes ago, DarkUltra said:

Hi!

Recently when I press the android back button while editing a note the app exits instead of going back to list of notes. I have tried deleting app storage and reinstalling the app.

It is the same in version 10.53.1

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Android 13, One UI 5.1

here is a thread I started:

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

For simplicity, may I suggest that discussion of this continue in the existing thread to which @DarkUltra linked, rather than duplicating it here.

2 hours ago, Alxa said:

Sketching with S Pen on Samsung devices still broken for me

Same here on Samsung S22. Is you start new sketch with S-Pen you cannot draw anymore. If you start a new note with pen in device, you can then draw with your finger. When you set one dot with the pen, then you cannot draw with pen nor with finger anymore. Before (in v10 on Samsung devices with S pen) it worked as it should: Pen and finger intermixed drawing always available. Workaround for now: Keep pen in device, draw with finger. (Which is a pity and much less useful for my usecases.)

I have 10.53.2 on two Android Samsung devices, a S23 Ultra phone and a Samsung S7Tab and on both of them, the stylus is not working for taking notes in the sketch module.  They worked in the past but currently, neither device works with the stylus.  But it does work when I use my finger.  Very frustrating.

On 8/9/2023 at 2:03 PM, erichong said:

Same experience on Android 13 Samsung A32 6GB RAM - mid Range 12 month old phone 

• Level 5
17 hours ago, bulldog485 said:

I have 10.53.2 on two Android Samsung devices, a S23 Ultra phone and a Samsung S7Tab and on both of them, the stylus is not working for taking notes in the sketch module.  They worked in the past but currently, neither device works with the stylus.  But it does work when I use my finger.  Very frustrating.

Take a look at the Evernote for Android forum, where there are several threads discussing this: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/718-evernote-for-android-issues-versions-100-and-above/. Evernote is aware of the problem and working toward a fix, as I understand it.

• Administrator

Evernote 10.53.2 started gradual rollout on both iOS App Store and Android Play Store. It's at 1% now, it's going to reach 100% in a week or so.

As usual, on iOS you can manually go on the app page and update. On Android you need to wait to actually be targeted.

Changelog:

Fixed a bug causing an increase in note creation time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
5 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Evernote 10.53.2 started gradual rollout on both iOS App Store and Android Play Store. It's at 1% now, it's going to reach 100% in a week or so.

As usual, on iOS you can manually go on the app page and update. On Android you need to wait to actually be targeted.

Changelog:

Version 10.53.2* appears to have solved my inability to create new Notes with the "+" operation on iPhone with 10.53.1. I am impressed and appreciative that you took the time to let us know that "things were happening" and that you fixed this issue so quickly!

* Corrected; originally, I wrote "10.52.2".

Edited by rdj999
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Level 5

Can’t confirm for 10.60 on my Mac. Did you try to log out, quit the client, open it and log back in ?

In general operations on multiple notes can be accelerated by going offline before selecting notes and initiating the operation.

After going back online, the changes will sync in the background with the server.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Thanks! Last time it took 10 days for Google Play to make it available to me, so I'll check every couple of days. Fortunately I have not been having problems with note creation.