Samsung S23 Ultra S Pen not working with Sketch

• Level 5

Welcome to the forums. There are 2 other recent threads here reporting much the same thing, so you're not alone. Just tried this on my S22 Ultra, and it worked. I'm on Evernote v. 10.50.4--what version do you have? Other threads: Sketch does not work Samsung tabletProblem writing with stylus on Samsung TAB S7 on Android 13.

• 1 month later...

I discovered this today on my Ultra S23 using version 10.51.2.  Pen works for a few seconds and then doesn't work.  Was able to replicate this on my Samsung Tab7 running version 10.51.2 also.  
This is frustrating as I do use the s-pen when taking notes, measurements and sketching out a rough blueprint.
Seeing how the original post by Mike B was submitted on May 19th, I would have expected this to have been addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Im having the same issue with Galaxy S22 ultra and Galaxy tab active pro with evernote 10.51.2.

This has been going on for at least a couple months and there are multiple threads concerning this with no response or fix.

Why would pen support not be intended for evernote when it worked for years prior to the latest update?

On 7/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, agsteele said:

I'm not sure that pen support is intended for Evernote for Android. For sure, let Evernote know your interest via a support ticket.

Less of an issue of pen support and more of an issue with sketch functionality being broken.  Finger drawing has the same behavior.  Evernote broke this sometime in the last few weeks.  As of Android version 10.51.2, the sketch functionality is completely broken.

12 hours ago, EspressoE said:

As of Android version 10.51.2, the sketch functionality is completely broken

I am on Android 10.51.2 and sketch is working for me on my Samsung A70.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am unable to use my S-Pen on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra to sketch a handwritten note in Evernote for Android 10.52.1.

This is so frustrating as it would be ideal to have this working to be able to take a handwritten note.

Does the Evernote team publish a list of known bugs for the Android version with an indication of which bugs they're working on with estimated target date for completion? If not, we're in the dark on when a fix can be expected!

• Level 5
4 hours ago, pmaddern said:

I too am unable to use my S-Pen on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra to sketch a handwritten note in Evernote for Android 10.52.1.

This is so frustrating as it would be ideal to have this working to be able to take a handwritten note.

Does the Evernote team publish a list of known bugs for the Android version with an indication of which bugs they're working on with estimated target date for completion? If not, we're in the dark on when a fix can be expected!

Generally, software developers avoid publishing target dates for bug fixes or app updates. This is because unexpected stuff can happen and delay the release date, and then the already unhappy campers get really unhappy because it feels like a broken promise.

So, in  the dark we are (in our unhappy camp). Honestly (and I say this as someone what has repeatedly been called an Evernote fanboy for not agreeing with every negative opinion that's posted around here), at this point IMHO the most unexpected stuff that could happen would be that they'd release an update with all existing bugs fixed and no new ones created.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot take handwritting Notes on galaxy fold 4 and on galaxy tab s8 ultra 

Obviously evernote technicians  are  sleeping 

Evernote is only interested for the subscriptions and to increase the cost 

Best devices cannot use evernote I have switched to samsung notes and I will ask for a refund 

Keep sleeping evernote! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I just was able to get 10.58.1 today. Sketching is improved but still erratic, meaning (a) it doesn't crash; (b) both S Pen and finger can be used to sketch, but may stop after an unpredictable number of strokes; (c) the finger seems to need a lot of pressure to work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

My S22 Ultra just got upgraded to Android 14 (and OneUI 6). I tested again, and found that finger sketching now seems to work well, if I keep a steady pressure. S Pen on the other hand is a hot mess: It will start writing when I press down, but very soon it will begin air sketching--I can't lift the stylus from the screen far enough for it to stop recording every movement I make on the sketch. Totally unusable.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 12/4/2023 at 11:55 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

My S22 Ultra just got upgraded to Android 14 (and OneUI 6). I tested again, and found that finger sketching now seems to work well, if I keep a steady pressure. S Pen on the other hand is a hot mess: It will start writing when I press down, but very soon it will begin air sketching--I can't lift the stylus from the screen far enough for it to stop recording every movement I make on the sketch. Totally unusable.

I just bought Evernote to use with handwritten notes on my S24 Ultra and I'm getting the exact same behavior. Identical. Air sketching, and then connect the dot straight lines.. and then it works for a split second before going haywire all over again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

The current version I got from Google Play is 10.75.1 (the same version number as the desktop and Web apps, though they are at 10.75.2). I just tried again, and I found that if I kept a firm and steady hand on the S Pen I could write successfully with it. I'm hoping this may mean the long wait is over. But I could be wrong! This was on a Galaxy S22 Ultra, in a note that I created as a blank note, and then added sketches to with the green + button.

• Like 1

Using the new Samsung Galaxy 24U now. I'm trying S Pen Screenshot_20240214_072609_Evernote.thumb.jpg.9f9661312d85e3e301ce6067db63d18e.jpgScreenshot_20240214_072622_Evernote.thumb.jpg.6c7caeb281121605c2abd6b2e608dd25.jpgwith Gboard.  Samsung keyboard handwriting typing made zero sense. Possibly an AI thing.        SPen is working to type within notes, can Scroll thru notes in EN, But cannot edit within Notes.

Managed to make a sketch, probably do not have scrolling enabled within notes for continuousScreenshot_20240214_072609_Evernote.thumb.jpg.9f9661312d85e3e301ce6067db63d18e.jpg sketch. Yeas, updated to 17.5.1.

Thought this could add to your info @Dave-in-Decatur

Screenshot_20240214_072634_Evernote.jpg

Screenshot_20240214_072659_Evernote.jpg

• Like 1