15 year member cancelling subscription

• Level 5

Did you complain all the years before when there was no raise ?

Did you complain about your rebated subscription price (34.99 wasn’t a full subscription, never was, even back then).

No, you didn’t. You took everything for granted, no hikes, eternal rebates, and all.

Now they (heavily) make up for the past, and you are surprised ?!

A free lunch can’t go on forever. As cool as you took all the benefits for granted, you could handle the current situation. If EN generates sufficient value to continue - stay. If it doesn’t - you got a 4 weeks lead time to move to an alternative.

No big parting scene needed, it’s no war of roses.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, rex827 said:

So goodbye, so long

Why is your message so bitter    
I also had my goodbye point; I thank Evernote for the past service and wish them success in the future

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
On 7/31/2023 at 2:15 PM, PinkElephant said:

Now they (heavily) make up for the past, and you are surprised ?!

Why do you think that they have underpriced prior year subscriptions? 

Regardless, it wasn't like they were giving Evernote away for free. I paid $70 a year for a Pro subscription. That isn't chump change. 

To now add another $100 is crazy and bring the subscription price to $170 a year is crazy. Most subscription based apps are reducing their annual charges and very few charge more than $100 per year. I don't think that Evernote gives me enough value at more than $100. Promises of introducing AI are of no interest to me (and I bet to a number of other subscribers). Heck, they haven't even added the most requested feature, that is support for Apple calendars. 

I've been a paid subscriber since 2008. I'm having a hard justifying this price increase, but they've got me over a barrel as Evernote is the one app I use the most... 🤬

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

They lost money running their service for years. That’s the ultimate test, making ends meet.

You need to decide for yourself if a „coffee to go“ per week is asking too much. If you find better value elsewhere, move.

• Like 4

I agree with the OP.
And in the same year of the price hike, we experienced a decreased quality in service, with several critical bugs with no treatment for weeks.
The ability to share a content from a third party android app is a major feature in a lot of user`s workflow. The loss of this ability should be treated with priority and open communication.

Loss of notes, loss of attached content are more common than ever. I am really rethinking if I will renew this year.

• Like 7

I also cancelled my membership after 15 years. But there were more reasons than just price. I switched to a competitor, where I also pay a subscription fee, but get a lot more features and personal convenience in return. Nothing lasts forever and neither does my satisfaction with Evernote, which I used to love.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You need to decide for yourself if a „coffee to go“ per week is asking too much. If you find better value elsewhere, move.

I'm more concerned what will happen to Evernote if they lose 30 to 40% of their subscribers overnight, due to the huge jump in their subscription fees... 

• Like 1

I got my email today stating that my professional subscription is going to $169.99. I don't have a single issue with paying that. I find nothing on the market that comes close to the value I receive from Evernote. I've been a member since 2014. Sticker shock, yes. But I want a company that gives me value, plus one that I know needs money to make a product that they can develop in the future. Free is ok, but the day of free is over. If you don't find value in Evernote, there are gazillion number of apps to try, and many are free. You have to decide what works for you.

I'm not sure what you want to gain by coming in here and blowing off steam. I hope it makes you feel better.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

EN will have most subscribers on a yearly scheme. So every month 1/12th of the subscribers will renew. That’s the cash flow.

They will see what happens, and if necessary adjust the strategy. That’s at least what I would expect.

The problem IMHO never was what the subscribers on the actual plans paid. It was subscribers on grandfathered, highly rebated plans. And it was a complete inbalance between few paying and way too many Free users.

If I were on a Free plan, I would start wondering how long the party will go on until the music stops. Nobody running a business can allow the vast majority of users to sit eternally on the fence, neither deciding to go in nor to leave for good.

I am more surprised about the lack of action of the former management to take decisive action on the revenue front. It might have prevented turning the whole company upside down.

• Like 3

Probably easier to get fully embedded users that are already paying to pay a little more vs getting someone that hasn't ever paid (and probably never will) to start paying. They might lose a few, but like Pink says, I'm sure they are watching the numbers and seeing how things are going -- and perhaps they'll make up for the loss with those that will pay more.

I've also heard it said that it's better to have 1 user paying $200 then 10 users paying $20 -- less support, less overall user entitlement.

I'm not a big fan of the price increase either, but if I have to choose between paying more and Evernote going under, I'll pay a little more.

Everyone has their price breaking point for Evernote, of course. I have mine and I have a couple of alternatives to move to if/when that time comes for me.

• Like 2

It's a 62% increase in price.  Executive leadership should expect that kind of flashback as they need to look at managing their costs better to have to ask for that much at once.  Its almost malfeasant to ask for that much from a management stand point.  NO i am not hating or ranting I am just apply good business sense.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

They did not raise prices for several years. I think the main issue was not on cost management, it was on the revenue side.

If making up for missed raises in the past is a clever move is another question - especially when coinciding with the current quality issues.

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Richard H. said:

It's a 62% increase in price.  Executive leadership should expect that kind of flashback as they need to look at managing their costs better to have to ask for that much at once.  Its almost malfeasant to ask for that much from a management stand point.  NO i am not hating or ranting I am just apply good business sense.

WRT cost management, shortly after Bending Spoons took full possession and control of Evernote, they fired a large number of existing staff (as is the common, if not particularly intelligent, practice). I believe those included experienced Evernote programmers. And I believe that is a large part of why we are where we are.

• Like 6

Totally disgusted at the price increase. Way over the top. Not to mention decrease in reliability of the product over time.

Have already loaded the legacy product and exported all my notes. They are currently happily residing in OneNote, which I have for no extra charge with Microsoft 365, but I am also looking at other options.

My Evernote sub is renewing in a couple of weeks. Extremely doubtful that I'll let it renew.

• Like 2
On 8/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, psaf01@gmail.com said:

I also cancelled my membership after 15 years. But there were more reasons than just price. I switched to a competitor, where I also pay a subscription fee, but get a lot more features and personal convenience in return. Nothing lasts forever and neither does my satisfaction with Evernote, which I used to love.

I'm also upset about the Notes product that is adding more function that has little to nothing to do with me keeping notes and deciding to double the price of my subscription. 

Looking at the competitors who can import my Evernote data.  Who did you go with?

Got my data easily into OneNote, and it's all fine, but I'm not loving the process of syncing with other devices using the same OneNote account, which is not working very well so far. I've opened a case with Microsoft.

I found and downloaded legacy evernote 6.25 and found the free evernote2onenote program online, which seems to have worked perfectly.

Legacy evernote will co-exist with the new version, but it will nag you to upgrade. Just ignore those messages.

• Like 2

There was no raise in price because users were piling onto the system, and it costs very little to add a user. Not pure profit, but considerable profit.

Almost doubling the price is gouging, plain and simple. I dumped Logmein a long time ago for the very same reason, but the difference there was literally thousands of dollars per year. I'm an MSP and reseller. 

I went from Logmein to Splashtop, and they kept me on the same price plan for over 10 years. When I finally agreed to a modest price/plan increase, the increase in functionality was astonishing and useful to me, so I had no issues.

With evernote, I'm not using the new features very much if at all, and the price increase is so steep that I'm just way displeased.

I came to Evernote because I needed a flexible place to dump all my random brain bits. It was great at that. I could be in and out fast to add or retrieve something.

Over the years it's decided it had to be "SO MUCH MORE" wanting users to spend more time in the app, to collaborate, to add plug-in functions, etc.  Great, I don't use that stuff, but you're still doing just the few things I needed.

Then the UI got cluttered, core function suffered, I didn't pay attention until recently about the company, or the company that bought the company (my mistake, that would have raised a flag). But I was still getting what I needed, and didn't mind paying for the Personal level sub. 

Then I got a mail, telling me about all kinds of new great stuff that I had no interest in that was supposed to soften the blow of my subscription almost doubling. It was doublingly aggrivating to find that all methods of communicating with the new company are non-existant. Frustrating and annoying.

So yeah, I'm looking at the competition this month. I'd have to be a fool otherwise. But apparently the app and company aren't what I bought into 24 years ago actually isn't the same company (certainly) or app (development focus) any more.

• Like 8
41 minutes ago, pjbeee said:

Have already loaded the legacy product and exported all my notes. They are currently happily residing in OneNote, which I have for no extra charge with Microsoft 365, but I am also looking at other options.

OneNote is a non-starter for me as I’m on  Apple and despise M$ products from all the years I was forced to use Windows because of work requirements. 

Microsoft can be a pain, but to be sure, Windows has gotten a ton more reliable these days. I support well over 100 desktop and laptop Windows 10/11 computers (not a big fan of of the W11 UX but it works OK) single-handedly and would not be able to do that if it wasn't so reliable. I do know how to tweak them but the underlying OS ain't bad at all. 

OneNote seems OK but I won't say it's the end-all for notetaking programs.

Certainly looking for alternatives that can read the .enex file.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, pjbeee said:

Microsoft can be a pain, but to be sure, Windows has gotten a ton more reliable these days. I support well over 100 desktop and laptop Windows 10/11 computers (not a big fan of of the W11 UX but it works OK) single-handedly and would not be able to do that if it wasn't so reliable. I do know how to tweak them but the underlying OS ain't bad at all. 

OneNote seems OK but I won't say it's the end-all for notetaking programs.

Certainly looking for alternatives that can read the .enex file.

I haven’t used a Windows PC in five years, since I retired. Before that, I had no choice because all the software we had to use in our digital forensic examination practice, ran under Windows. That experience cured me from ever wanting to use another Windows PC or any MS software. I have been using MACs, iPhones, and iPads, since the first iPhone came out, and I couldn’t wait to drop using Windows and MS apps. With Apple devices the macOS and Office-like apps are all free. 

On this or another thread I read about NoteJoy.com. At first glance they seem to be compatible with Evernote and apparently offer some of the same features found in Evernote. And the monthly subscription are only $4 for the solo plan, $8 for the Plus plan, and $12 for the Premium plan. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No other notes app is compatible with EN. Being compatible would mean another client / front end, but using the same database / back end.

Nope, no such thing.

So the same advice as always: Check your use cases, then start watching.

When watching, ask yourself "Will they allow me to easily take my data and leave - on another day ?". Some do, other not really (don't try to go from Notion anywhere else, for example, because you likely will build a unique, incompatible data structure in Notion), and some are a fail. I would never join an app that doesn't support me when I want to take my data and go.

Beside this, use what you feel happy with, and pay what you feel it's worth.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, pjbeee said:

There was no raise in price because users were piling onto the system, and it costs very little to add a user. Not pure profit, but considerable profit.

Almost doubling the price is gouging, plain and simple....

With evernote, I'm not using the new features very much if at all, and the price increase is so steep that I'm just way displeased.

I don't know if we can speculate about why they kept the price low. I would have to think that the cost to add a user would depend a lot on what the user was doing, how many resources they required, etc. Eventually, IMHO, Evernote became underpriced for what it was offering. Now they are offering considerably more, and the price rise from the (IMHO) underpriced level feels extreme. If enough people do find uses for some of the new things they're offering, they may be OK--if they also make those new things work right. But for those who don't need the new features, then the new prices will also seem unnecessary.

• Like 2

I reluctantly agree with you. This price jump is enough to make me move. The price I was paying was low enough to keep me, despite all of the headaches I've had over the years. Now, I don't see any other option. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Being compatible would mean another client / front end, but using the same database / back end.

You're right. I meant, that NoteJoy provides a tool to import one's data from Evernote and a bunch of other apps. 

• Level 5

Import is not the issue, with nearly none of the competing apps.

But a frequent issue is how to leave with your data. Even those who readily take and convert an ENEX file are seemingly unable to create one, or something similar.

41 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

But a frequent issue is how to leave with your data. Even those who readily take and convert an ENEX file are seemingly unable to create one, or something similar.

Here's the NoteJoy FAQ for importing Notes, Notebooks, and Tags from Evernote. It sounds pretty comprehensive, though whether it works as advertised remains to be seen...

Notejoy offers a robust and powerful Evernote importer to seamlessly import all of your existing notes into Notejoy. The importer:

• Imports all of your Evernote notebooks and stacks as nested notebooks in Notejoy
  • Imports all of your Evernote nested tags as nested tags in Notejoy
  • Translates Evernote note styles to their equivalent styles in Notejoy
  • Imports all your Evernote note images and attachments
  • Preserves your original Evernote note created and modified dates in Notejoy
  • Simplifies clipped articles from Evernote to look great in Notejoy
  • Imports directly from Evernote's servers, allowing you to continue your work in Notejoy and notifying you when the import is complete

To begin the import, click Import Notes from the user menu in the bottom left corner of Notejoy.

https://notejoy.com/help/import-evernote

Actually, I'm surprised at the similarities in offered features between Evernote and NoteJoy. They also offer Nested Netbooks and Nested Tags, which Evernote hasn't gotten around to providing, though I know these features have been requested. On the minus side, I noticed that their web clipper only works with Chrome and FireFox, which would complicate my life, given that I use Safari as it works best under macOS. 

The list of NoteJoy features is at:
https://notejoy.com/features

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@philrodo Nested tags are an EN feature since long. I have been talking about the options to export your notes, in a format that allows to import them elsewhere.

Anybody should understand why this may be important, occasionally …

Apart from this thanks for the enthusiasm. Since use cases are different, there is no „one size fits all“ alternative.

• Like 2

Just heard from Microsoft tech support. I'm told that the syncing issues with OneNote are due to a "service interruption." This is now day 3 of the "service interruption." Ouch.

Guess I'll be looking at NoteJoy sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I have actually been wondering when EN could POSSIBLY go UNDER... For YEARS NOW.   Reason: I have spent more time back & forth with Support tickets for myself & my 83 year old mother more than I care to admit. (Oh Yeah, She LOVED IT). But when the Format completely changed, she couldn't deal.  Zero patience filing her Recipes.  I've never given up easily. On ANYTHING.

So, what does a person who loves/loved EN because it's So completely Visual do now?  Its been an ADD Person's life saver. 

Another negative find - I cannot access voice recordings of my Grandmother & my mother. I cherish now, and will always. So I REALIZE the Longevity of These APPS are fleeting.  

It's FREAKING ME OUT. to be honest. 

No I do not use fancy words. Just an Artist speaking from the 💜.

Oh, and BTW, MS SUCKS.

• Like 3

I was actually one of the people who voted for MORE NOTEBOOKS Feature. (Long long ago)  Can't think in Tags. Some people just have different       "File Cabinets" in their mind. 

and BTW, "ONE NOTE"  SUCKS as Well.  I spent a lot of time with MS tonight also.  Wanted to figure out why I pay so much for a service I do not use. So you know what? I'm gonna learn from all of you Smart lovely people  & figure out what to do before EN goes under. 

Generally MS products give me the creeps... maybe it's because I got notifications every day last summer someone was trying to "authenticate my account & was that me?".  They also have a lot of 3rd party action going on. I'd love to know why. Send them 5.00 to get off the list? Huh? 

Okay. Time for 🍷.   Thank you all for all this INFO.  Very Good Stuff.

12 hours ago, RicBret said:

I'm also upset about the Notes product that is adding more function that has little to nothing to do with me keeping notes and deciding to double the price of my subscription. 

Looking at the competitors who can import my Evernote data.  Who did you go with?

I like obsidian.md philosophy. Not so visually pretty. With many plugins and the ability to customize the appearance, it does exactly what I want. The advantage is if you know a little bit of programming languages, because then you have a completely open world to make your own program. It doesn't have some of Evernote's features. It's not a product for everyone, but I think a lot of original Evernote users will appeal. 

6 hours ago, philrodo said:

Actually, I'm surprised at the similarities in offered features between Evernote and NoteJoy. They also offer Nested Netbooks and Nested Tags, which Evernote hasn't gotten around to providing, though I know these features have been requested. On the minus side, I noticed that their web clipper only works with Chrome and FireFox, which would complicate my life, given that I use Safari as it works best under macOS. 

NoteJoy doesn't have offline mode.

Since you mentioned you use iPhone, presumably you may travel to areas where you have a network deadzone and there is little to none data availability.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:12 AM, philrodo said:

I paid $70 a year for a Pro subscription

I take it you were on a discounted plan.  The Normal Price of Pro since introduction has been $99.99 per annum.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mia said:

So I REALIZE the Longevity of These APPS are fleeting.  

We have created the ultimate disposable society. I wonder how future historians will find original sources of information, since the digital data we create today will probably be lost in the future or they will be unable to access our storage devices. And it’s only going to get worse with more and more of our data being stored on the cloud…

Heck, I have family photos from the early 1900s. I bet my kids and grandkids will not be able to find or access the photos we took when they were growing up, which is sad for preserving family roots. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Cardin said:

Since you mentioned you use iPhone, presumably you may travel to areas where you have a network deadzone and there is little to none data availability.

From NoteJoy’s Help Center:

Offline access

Notejoy makes it effortless to browse all of your notes while offline, continue to edit notes and add new ones, and to seamlessly sync it all whenever you come back online. Notejoy's offline support also makes your overall Notejoy experience much faster by first loading notes from your local device before also checking Notejoy's servers for any changes.

https://notejoy.com/help/offline

8 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I take it you were on a discounted plan.  The Normal Price of Pro since introduction has been $99.99 per annum.

I upgraded last year from the Personal to the Pro plan and the invoice for the year came out to $70. I thought that was the standard price, though now that I went back and looked at the receipt, I realize that I had gotten some credit for the unused remaining balance from the previous year, plus a 25% discount. 

Re: NoteJoy offline access: Just be aware that offline notes access is not now available on mobile devices. They say it's "planned," but there's no timeline for this. But FAICT these days, Evernote also doesn't work on my Android smartphone without an internet connection.

It does not appear that I can't do a full eval of NoteJoy with offline access without buying a full year for $48.00, but I just might try it.

2 hours ago, philrodo said:

I upgraded last year from the Personal to the Pro plan and the invoice for the year came out to $70. I thought that was the standard price, though now that I went back and looked at the receipt, I realize that I had gotten some credit for the unused remaining balance from the previous year, plus a 25% discount. 

When Pro was introduced two years ago I upgraded from the old Premium plan which cost £25 for the remainder if my year and was charged $99.99 which at the time was around £81 which works out at around 23p per day and I considered that great value.  I was fortunate this year as my plan anniversary is 28 May do I was fortunate to be able to have a further year at $99.99 as price increase for existing subscribers was 1 June.   Even with the new price I will be charged next time it will only increase by around 4p per day. 

To put the price increase in perspective, a Microsoft 365 family subscription is only $100 a year, while a personal subscription is even less at $70. This gives you access to 10 different apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc. 

Contrast that to Evernote's new pricing of $130 and $170 for the Personal and Pro plans, respectively. How the heck can they justify that price is beyond me. I suppose it's a case of "what the market will bear." We'll have to wait and see whether Evernote users will renew their subscriptions or tell them to go pound sand. If the latter proves to be the case, the future of Evernote will be rather dubious... 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Have you made the math ?

MS is mainly selling to enterprise customers, that’s their main target group. These packages are more expensive, but they are enriched by additional functions like running Exchange mail servers, SharePoints and Azure Cloud Computing Services.

The individual O365 subscriptions are a byproduct of this, they are the „Free“ plan of Microsoft. There is no usable Office software for free from MS.

EN has a way smaller user base, and the „Enterprise“ version is comparatively priced. So probably what we see is what’s needed to run the service, including a profit margin. We know that for the „old“ prices (and user base) the business was not profitable.

If these prices are competitive in terms of alternatives, user base and winning new users, time will tell.

For us as individual users the main question is a) what is our use case and b) where do we find the best solution for this task. This includes the price, but many more factors as well.

Personally I currently worry more about quality of service, than a renewal price somewhere in the future, months away.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

MS is mainly selling to enterprise customers, that’s their main target group

Doesn’t Evernote do the same? They have placed a lot of emphasis on the Teams version, with many features that are of no interest or use to solo users. 

Also, according to Investopedia, MSTF’s revenues are as follows: Intelligent Cloud: 35%; Productivity & Business Processes: 31%; and More Personal Computing: 34%. So the notion that they mainly sell to enterprises is not accurate, as Personal Computing makes up about 1/3 of their business revenues. 

Update from Microsoft support: regarding OneNote sync:

"Backend team is working on the fix and will be rolled out globally. 

We sincerely appreciate your time and patience over the issue."

I have successfully imported all my notes into OneNote, and they seem to be synced, but I'm still getting sync (server busy) errors. I have no doubt that Microsoft will fix the issue, but the fact that it's now days since I've first seen the problem is curious indeed.

Luckily I have no high-powered execs breathing down my neck to get this fixed (asif). And it's still pretty hard to get fired for going with Microsoft.

On 8/2/2023 at 9:24 PM, paulo_pontes said:

I agree with the OP.
And in the same year of the price hike, we experienced a decreased quality in service, with several critical bugs with no treatment for weeks.
The ability to share a content from a third party android app is a major feature in a lot of user`s workflow. The loss of this ability should be treated with priority and open communication.

Loss of notes, loss of attached content are more common than ever. I am really rethinking if I will renew this year.

This is the real problem. EN got really really bad when EN 10 was introduced, and it seems that the years since then have been spent fixing problems introduced in 10. (I realize there are new functions, but nothing I ever wanted, or need now.) In the email I got about the price increase, there was old copy about things getting faster and so on, but things are still slow. I'm regularly amazed when I open EN 10 on my Mac: it's like opening a Microsoft product! Used to be, you open EN and it's open. You click on a note and it's ready to edit, and all the attachments are already visible. Not so anymore.

I'm renewing EN. So I hope Bending Spoons figures out how to make EN a success. But adding new features instead of restoring legacy functionality and speed seems like a bad bet on the future. What's needed isn't AI to clean up notes; we need actual intelligence fixing the product.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On my Macs EN is working ok. Not exactly the speed of legacy, but this is more a feeling than measurable.

If it is much slower, it might be your database has corrupted content, and should be rebuild. I have described this procedure several times.

For operations on multiple notes, it often speed things up when you take the app offline before you run them. Just make sure if the database is fresh that the full download has happened.

• Like 1

It probably also depends on specific use cases. Compared to Legacy, for my use cases, and my speed of use, I think v10 is significantly slower, and full of async programmed delays. Showing (on average) 5 tags in the edit tags dialogues of a note, takes multiple seconds to populate. Even deleting a note takes seconds for the Move to trash option to be be visible. And many, many more slow parts compared to legacy. I also renewed and have good hope they'll fix the slowness in 101 places. Mind that I use tags, deletes, merges like a ninja for 101 notes each day, mainly via keyboard. Multiple actions per second. Evernote is not up to that use case of GTD/TSW usage for a whole team of middle management as a COO. 

• Like 2
On 8/2/2023 at 8:26 PM, psaf01@gmail.com said:

I have yet to find another platform that does everything EN does, I've looked around and tried a few always back and happy to pay for the platform that works (most of the time).

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

@MvdH Yes, use case does make a difference.  My take in mid 2021 was that it would take a while for EN to fix the speed issues, both processing and UI (Just more clicks everywhere and less usable screen real estate).  Plus I didn't think local notebooks were coming back.  So I opted out then, completed conversion in December 2021.  Have added 6,000 notes via the new process since.  That was pre BS and staff reductions and price increases.. 

I have legacy still installed and use it maybe once a month to check something.  I keep coming back to the forums to monitor progress.  I open browser V10 from time to time for reality.  Speed has improved quite a bit from 2021.  But it still lags for a ninja. 

I guess point of it all is it is getting to the point in time where folks are going to have to opt into V10 or find an alternative.  And use case will definitely drive that.  V10 may be fine if you don't need ninja speed in your use case.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/11/2023 at 5:38 AM, Elshad said:

Never understand why people have to tell us they have quit using a program. if you don't want to use it, don't use it, pretty simple. Bon Voyage!

It's because some of us really like Evernote and would pay for it - but not under these circumstances.

I have been a paid member since 2011 and paused the new subscription. Why?

• My Android App is completely unusable at the moment, see this bug.
  • The new price increase is too high compared to the development and performance of the app.
  • No Family Plan. My wife and I are both using EN an need a personal account. This makes >200 $/year. We are happy to pay for an app, but please provide a family plan like Spotify, Dropbox, 1Password and many other services do.

I still hope and really wish that the new owner will improve the app and adjust the price plan. At the moment, there is almost no alternative available for my use case:

• Document management with strong OCR and PDF inline search
  • Mail to Note App
  • Web Clipper

Many others might be in the same situation and switch as soon as there is a suitable alternative available. 

Last but not least: It just feels good to blow off steam ;)

• Like 3

I also received a request to pay another $70 going forward for my pro subscription.  Nobody likes a price increase but EN is currently the one program that I use for every aspect of my life, both home and work.  I do not deal with paper anymore  at either place (it's all scanned and in EN).  I use EN as a database for all of my bills, statements, manuals, projects etc.  I use the Task manager to set all of my tasks.  I use the clipper dozens of times a day to clip things from the web or any other work project that I'm involved with.  I interface with my employees through EN and use it as the place where I dump their projects and then monitor what they're doing.  I use EN to keep track of every project at home and work including detailed travel plans and arrangements.  My EN is linked to my ipad, iphone and several windows computers and it's all pretty seamless.  In fact ,not a day goes by that I don't need to consult with EN at least a dozen times (usually more).  I am absolutely dependent on EN and paying another $70 is not going to change that.  For those that are dropping their subscriptions I can only assume that they are less reliant on EN than I am or much more sensitive to price.  

• Like 4
On 8/10/2023 at 11:38 PM, Elshad said:

Never understand why people have to tell us they have quit using a program. if you don't want to use it, don't use it, pretty simple. Bon Voyage!

I understand completely.

Think of it this way... you have a job you've worked at for a number of years. Over that time you've put forth considerable effort to get where you are today only to decide that new policies of your employer no longer mesh with what you envisioned when you signed on. You make it clear publicly precisely why you're leaving. First to let others know what they might be facing and second-- and less likely-- in the hopes that the employer will recognize what might well be numerous similar complains and institute some changes.

Not unlike why people leave negative reviews for products purchased online-- to let others know and take that info into account and if the seller is responsive, perhaps help them address issues or respond with their side of the story.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, idoc said:

For those that are dropping their subscriptions I can only assume that they are less reliant on EN than I am or much more sensitive to price.  

For clarity.  Price was inconsequential when I left but I was fully reliant on EN on a daily basis.  My reasons were speed and and the loss of local notebooks.  I created over 60k notes in my 12+ years with EN.  I streamlined my processes with EN legacy.  All of which did not work so well for me with V10.  It was not an easy decision to leave but was right for me and my use case.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, tymbee said:

I understand completely.

Think of it this way... you have a job you've worked at for a number of years. Over that time you've put forth considerable effort to get where you are today only to decide that new policies of your employer no longer mesh with what you envisioned when you signed on. You make it clear publicly precisely why you're leaving. First to let others know what they might be facing and second-- and less likely-- in the hopes that the employer will recognize what might well be numerous similar complains and institute some changes.

Not unlike why people leave negative reviews for products purchased online-- to let others know and take that info into account and if the seller is responsive, perhaps help them address issues or respond with their side of the story.

But I wonder if you would make this public pronouncement in the vitriolic terms of the original post in this thread. That's the bit that I don't get. Where does the sense of being personally wronged by changes in software or its pricing come from? -- Not really trying to have a debate; it's more a rhetorical musing.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, idoc said:

I am absolutely dependent on EN and paying another $70 is not going to change that.

In my Case it’s going to be an extra $100 in addition to the $70 I’m already paying. But I plan to stick around for another year, because like you I use EV daily for just about everything. On the other hand, my bigger concern is what will happen if EV ends up losing 40 or 50% of their subscription base, due to the excessive (IMO) price increase. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But I wonder if you would make this public pronouncement in the vitriolic terms of the original post in this thread. That's the bit that I don't get. Where does the sense of being personally wronged by changes in software or its pricing come from? -- Not really trying to have a debate; it's more a rhetorical musing.

Fortunately for the sake of participants here, I've not posted numerous EN rants I've launched into in the comfort of my own office. 🙂

Like some others here I too have reached my limit of patience with EN and, as painful as it is, have started migrating around 1k notes from DN to [GASP] Microsoft OneNote. I looked at numerous other apps from MyInfo, to InfoSelect (both of which I used at one time) to name a few. But in the end given that a number of features of OneNote have a particular use for my own circumstances, I bit the proverbial bullet.

Also, a significant amount of data I have in EN is outdated and of little to no use presently. The migration offers me the opportunity to cull out all the "*****" and start fresh. 

But... check with me in a year or so to see I've started any rants with respect to OneNote! 😁

• Like 3

My OneNote account is having constant sync issues with the EN data I've imported. It's fine on the machine I imported into but cloud sync and hence sync with other devices is incomplete. I've noted this here recently. Looking into NoteJoy. I still have a few days until EN renews, but I've already switched EN to a monthly plan. Will almost certainly be out of EN, however, by renewal time.

Bending Spoons, your greed disgusts me.

On 8/13/2023 at 4:59 AM, MK2020 said:

Many others might be in the same situation and switch as soon as there is a suitable alternative available. 

Take a look at NoteJoy. They offer the three features you listed in your message and they are considerably cheaper. I plan on sticking with EN for another year, but will begin testing NoteJoy to see how well it can fill my needs. I’m very concerned that this EN price increase may cause lots of paid subscribers to leave EN and that may threaten the product’s longevity in the future. 

19 hours ago, pjbeee said:

My OneNote account is having constant sync issues with the EN data

Hmmm... how did you get the data from EN to ON? I've seen some apps that claim to do that but I'm just cutting/pasting myself. Laborious to be sure but helps to do a lot of house cleaning along the way. 

I've not heard of NoteJoy but will take a look. My primary concern with some of these alternative note apps is their overall stability. IOW, will it be around years from now? I've been bitten in the past investing time & effort into apps that just went away. I'm assuming that Microsoft will be around for the long run, but even there, some huge companies (Microsoft, Google etc.) have been know to abandon apps as well. 

I've even toyed with the idea of using Excel, or creating my own note system with something like MSAccess. Nah... way too much effort. 👎

Current versions of EN only allow you to export 100 notes at a time. You need to get the legacy version 6.25 of EN. It reads the EN database just fine. You then select all the notes and export them, making sure that you select the option to not export tags.

This excellent free program will do the import for you from the resulting ENEX file: 

EN to OneNote:

Current versions of EN only allow you to export 100 notes at a time. You'll want to download the legacy version 6.25 of EN. It reads the EN database just fine and allows you to export all notes at once. You select all the notes and export them, making sure that you select the option to not export tags.

This excellent free standalone Windows program will do the import for you into desktop OneNote from the resulting ENEX file (Thank you Stefan!): 

Evernote2Onenote - Stefans Tools (stefankueng.com)

BTW EN 6.25 will live alongside the latest version of EN on your Windows PC, but it will nag you to update it. Just ignore that for the time being.

EN to NoteJoy:

NoteJoy does not require you to export EN. It can log into EN with your credentials and bring the notes over. The free version is limited to 100MB of data. I needed the $4/month version, paid yearly. That maxes out at 5GB, but I have well unter 1GB of notes at this point after many years of EN use.

The issues syncing OneNote continue, with all suggestions that Microsoft has made proving useless. NoteJoy might just end up being my choice, also considering that it's now paid-for.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, pjbeee said:

Current versions of EN only allow you to export 100 notes at a time.

That is when you select individual notes.  You can instead export by notebook and you are not limited in number.  This allows you to maintain notebook information if you desire.  If you instead use legacy and select all notes, which you can, when you export you will get all notes in one group losing the notebook information.

@s2Sailor Thank you. I did not see this option until I looked for it after your post. This is indeed an option.

I have no issue exporting the notes as a group. 

This clearly obviates the need to find and install legacy EN as well.

15 hours ago, philrodo said:

Take a look at NoteJoy. They offer the three features you listed in your message and they are considerably cheaper. I plan on sticking with EN for another year, but will begin testing NoteJoy to see how well it can fill my needs. I’m very concerned that this EN price increase may cause lots of paid subscribers to leave EN and that may threaten the product’s longevity in the future. 

Thanks for the recommendation, will have a look at it. I really like EN and I have no intention to switch unless the pain using EN becomes too big. 

• Like 1

Just out of interest, this "notejoy" appears to come out of the blue.  I've been following this forum for years and many alternatives for EN have been discussed.  I don't recall seeing Notejoy discussed before.  I took a look at their website and they look like an EN clone.  It's always nice to have alternatives but I would be very cautious transferring my entire organizational life to an entity that hasn't been tried and tested by years of usage.  Perhaps they may eventually be a better alternative but I certainly wouldn't make a switch like this over $100..

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, idoc said:

Just out of interest, this "notejoy" appears to come out of the blue.  I've been following this forum for years and many alternatives for EN have been discussed.  I don't recall seeing Notejoy discussed before.  I took a look at their website and they look like an EN clone.  It's always nice to have alternatives but I would be very cautious transferring my entire organizational life to an entity that hasn't been tried and tested by years of usage.  Perhaps they may eventually be a better alternative but I certainly wouldn't make a switch like this over $100..

They have been around longer than I was aware of as well.

https://medium.com/notejoy/meet-notejoy-a-better-way-to-organize-team-docs-e2e9cbb43d57

On 8/13/2023 at 1:56 PM, tymbee said:

I understand completely.

i understand what you're saying, but personally wouldn't make a point of publicly announcing why I was leaving a job. I've worked for the same company for 49 years but if they changed policies in a different direction, I wouldn't publicly condemn them but would go somewhere that had similar philosophies to me.

As for reviews, I do give reviews for products to warn people off from bad products and to recommend good ones. I wouldn't however do that in this forum. It is primarily a discussion forum for Evernote users and not very likely a place where potential users would be looking for reviews.

• Like 1

I've been a subscriber since 2009. Initially, Evernote was an amazing application. However, over time, there has been a noticeable decline in the app's overall quality. The web clipper hasn't been functional in Firefox for quite a while, even before the pandemic. When they introduced a price adjustment and a revamped version of the app, I decided to wait and observe the changes. Unfortunately, the outcome was not as I had hoped.

Numerous other applications now provide superior functionality compared to Evernote, all at a more reasonable price. As a result, I have chosen to move on. Not that the company will mourn my loss for even a femtosecond, but maybe I can prevent others from wasting their money.

33 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

As long as it is done respectfully and accurately, I would think Evernote would want to understand why users are either leaving or considering leaving.

Evernote the corporation doesn't care what the customers want or say. They have a dedicated team of elites and MBAs to tell us what we want.

• Confused 3
55 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I've been a subscriber since 2009. Initially, Evernote was an amazing application. However, over time, there has been a noticeable decline in the app's overall quality.

I've been a subscriber since 2008 and I must say that I disagree with your assessment. I think EN has improved greatly over the years. I can't speak about the clipper in Firefox, but it works pretty good for me in Safari on my Macs. But considering what other apps go for, $170 for EN is too much, but I'm going to stick around for another year while I look for other suitable alternatives... 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, idoc said:

Took a look at their Website, including their Evernote comparison page, where they emphasize that, supposedly unlike Evernote, Notejoy is built for collaboration. Since I work alone, it doesn't sound like it would suit me. As for pricing:

image.thumb.png.118d4d3176992fbafb638d0b83c7d0df.png

$4/month is the spot that Evernote doesn't have, and which relatively light users often request. $8/month for Plus = $96/year, $36 less than Evernote's current Personal, and $12/month Premium = $144/year, $26 less than Evernote's Professional. The price differences are noticeable, but not overwhelming, IMHO.

The Solo version of NoteJoy seems to be just that (Solo), and the price is right.

The EN price increase is just too much, especially given the much less expensive competition. It's not that I can't afford it - I can, but the increase ticks me off, and the EN program has been balky lately on top of it all. This is not the way a company should treat what might have been its still-loyal customers.

My total notes database is under 200MB and currently just over 4K notes. NoteJoy maxes out at 5GB for $4/mo. 

I've now been using it for a few days since importing my EN data, and am impressed enough to keep it. All my EN data is there, and it looks and works fine. 

I have the ENEX (EN Export file) if needed and also have the full EN database in OneNote (which is still not syncing properly so it's just a backup at this point). 

There are now 5 days until my EN sub rolls over to monthly (so I have an escape plan), but so far if all is still well I'm not even going to let that kick in.

4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Since I work alone, it doesn't sound like it would suit me.

$4/month is the spot that Evernote doesn't have, and which relatively light users often request. $8/month for Plus = $96/year, $36 less than Evernote's current Personal, and $12/month Premium = $144/year, $26 less than Evernote's Professional. The price differences are noticeable, but not overwhelming, IMHO.

I think that their solo or Plus plan will work for people that work alone. Also, I don't think that their Premium plan compares to EN's Pro plan--a more apt comparison is the Teams subscription which goes for $21.83 a month or $262 per year, which is a significant difference to NoteJoy's Premium at $12 a month or $144 a year. 

2 minutes ago, pjbeee said:

Not sure Teams is an apples-to-apples comparison. But isn't Teams bundled with most if not all Microsoft 365 subs, and is much less than that?

Teams is the highest subscription available for EN. I don't follow your comment about it being bundled with MS 365 subs...

22 hours ago, pjbeee said:

EN to OneNote:

Current versions of EN only allow you to export 100 notes at a time. You'll want to download the legacy version 6.25 of EN. It reads the EN database just fine and allows you to export all notes at once. You select all the notes and export them, making sure that you select the option to not export tags.

Not able to test it at this time but if I'm not mistaken, there is no way to do any kind of bulk export from EN and include the contents of all encrypted notes? That's a big issue with me given all the notes, the the most "sensitive" ones, that I have encrypted. Seems the only route in that case is to "Reveal" each note, note by note and copy/paste. (?) Very tedious... 

• Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, tymbee said:

Not able to test it at this time but if I'm not mistaken, there is no way to do any kind of bulk export from EN and include the contents of all encrypted notes?

You can build export notes by notebook (or as a whole account using this party tools). What can't be done is bulk decrypt notes. You would have to do that manually as you describe.

Without wishing to flog along dead horse, it is still worth noting that the Evernote encryption is so limited that using an external encryption method is better. I have used AxCrypt. Others just use a Zip archive or document encryption. 

But you are where you are so I fear your current approach is your only way forward.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:32 PM, philrodo said:

Here's the NoteJoy FAQ for importing Notes, Notebooks, and Tags from Evernote. It sounds pretty comprehensive, though whether it works as advertised remains to be seen...

Notejoy offers a robust and powerful Evernote importer to seamlessly import all of your existing notes into Notejoy. The importer:

• Imports all of your Evernote notebooks and stacks as nested notebooks in Notejoy
  • Imports all of your Evernote nested tags as nested tags in Notejoy
  • Translates Evernote note styles to their equivalent styles in Notejoy
  • Imports all your Evernote note images and attachments
  • Preserves your original Evernote note created and modified dates in Notejoy
  • Simplifies clipped articles from Evernote to look great in Notejoy
  • Imports directly from Evernote's servers, allowing you to continue your work in Notejoy and notifying you when the import is complete

To begin the import, click Import Notes from the user menu in the bottom left corner of Notejoy.

https://notejoy.com/help/import-evernote

Thanks for this suggestion!

OK then. I am quite pleased so far with NoteJoy. 

Logged into EN to cancel my sub, effective in a few days when the annual agreement renews, and ONLY THEN do they offer me 40% off.

Too little-too late. Sorry Folks. 

Switching to EN free version for as long as it still works, but will be entering all new notes into NoteJoy.

The rest of you who want to stay with EN, try canceling and check the radio button for something like "too expensive" and see what happens. Should go without saying, but I won't fault you for wanting to stay with EN - as if it's even my place to do so.

I'll try my best to come back here and comment on any negative issues with NoteJoy (Solo version $48/year - app is installed now on 3 devices, plus there's still Web access).

Edit: Hey, here's another plus for NoteJoy - runs instantly on FireFox; EN on the web only runs on Chromium-based browsers (I believe) AND can take some time to load. And just for fun, I also opened it successfully and ran searches in Internet Explorer, which I have "tricked" into still running on Windows 10 - IE is needed here for a legacy app or two that refuses to run in IE Mode on Edge.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pjbeee said:

Logged into EN to cancel my sub, effective in a few days when the annual agreement renews, and ONLY THEN do they offer me 40% off.

Someone else mentioned this 40% discount before. So I contacted tech support and asked them to extend the discount and I was told that they’re not offering any discounts. I don’t understand the marketing genius thinking behind all these policies. First, piss off long time subscribers by increasing their subscription cost by about 130% and then when they decide to cancel their subscription, offer them a 40% discount. Both these policies alienate the subscribers, as evidenced by this long thread. If they’re willing to cut the price by 40%, why not offer the lower price from the get go, which will make the price increase more acceptable?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@philrodo Take it as a man: You need to have an advanced master in selling snake oil to understand these twists. We minions will never catch the logic behind it - that's maybe the secret that makes it effective.

At least all current rebates are for one year only. So we meet again, next year. Until then the recipe seems to be to cancel, get an offer, and decide.

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You need to have an advanced master in selling snake oil to understand these twists. We minions will never catch the logic behind it - that's maybe the secret that makes it effective.

One doesn’t need to look too far to see examples of marketing geniuses causing significant economic losses for their companies. But it’s not only the marketing people that are at fault, it’s the entire corporate structure that marches in lockstep…

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

At least all current rebates are for one year only. So we meet again, next year. Until then the recipe seems to be to cancel, get an offer, and decide.

Yup. That’s what I just did. I intended to actually cancel and was surprised by the reduced offer. I’m willing to pay the reduced amount (which is still a significant increase over last year), but not the crazy new full price. Not for a digital filing cabinet, which is how I use Evernote. I’ve already got a decent backup plan for next year if the offer isn’t repeated. 

On 8/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, PinkElephant said:

EN will have most subscribers on a yearly scheme. So every month 1/12th of the subscribers will renew. That’s the cash flow.

They will see what happens, and if necessary adjust the strategy. That’s at least what I would expect.

The problem IMHO never was what the subscribers on the actual plans paid. It was subscribers on grandfathered, highly rebated plans. And it was a complete inbalance between few paying and way too many Free users.

If I were on a Free plan, I would start wondering how long the party will go on until the music stops. Nobody running a business can allow the vast majority of users to sit eternally on the fence, neither deciding to go in nor to leave for good.

I am more surprised about the lack of action of the former management to take decisive action on the revenue front. It might have prevented turning the whole company upside down.

I hear you, and I have no issues with EN 'pushing' the clients on the free plan to either get in or get out. But significantly raising prices for those who have already decided to pay does not seem like a wise business practice. I've been paying customers since 2010. I currently pay USD 70 - it's my second most expensive software subscription. And they want to raise the prices to USD 130 – a 63% increase. Something does not feel right to me. I paid through all the years when the service was far from working optimally. It is true that it has gotten much better. But not enough for me to justify this price increase. This is the straw that finally broke the camel's back. No renewal this tome around.