Am I the only one who is experiencing Evernote being extremely slow?

I've downloaded the latest version of Evernote (10.18.3 version) and since then, everything I do in evernote takes an insane amount of time, from several seconds to minutes to just retrieve a note. Furthermore, I've clicked on saved searches that lead to no note whatsoever, when I clearly have notes corresponding to that specific search and this happened a few times only in the past 30 min.

• Like 8
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There have been a few (!!!!) mentions about speed in the forums - if you are a subscriber,  best to contact Support and register the issue with them.  Hopefully the situation will improve.  If not,  you could revert to the older version of Evernote which installs alongside the new app - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Thanks 1

I gave up on Evernote 10 shortly after it came out because it was impossibly slow, and I've been happily using the "Legacy" version ever since.  Every time an update to Version 10 comes out, I wonder if they've fixed the slowness, and you've confirmed that they haven't.    Despite all of the complaints about slowness, Evernote hasn't had the courtesy to put out any kind of message saying that they recognize the problem, that they're working on it, what one can do to fix it, etc.  I got a survey a while back asking about slowness so it appears that they are aware of the problem.  Apparently Version 10 must work for some people; maybe those who only have a few notes or who don't care about speed.   If that's the case, they should just tell people not to upgrade if they have a lot of notes or whatever it is that causes the problem.

What I find really offensive is that I'm now getting messages in the Legacy version asking me if I want to upgrade to 10.   I am afraid that I will accidentally click on this and ***** up my whole system.  The same thing happens on Android.  My phone is set to automatically upgrade every app EXCEPT Evernote, and I'm afraid that one of their "don't you want to upgrade?" messages will accidentally cause me to upgrade, and it's very hard to go backward on Android.

So the short answer is: it's not just you. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, HDMiller said:

What I find really offensive is that I'm now getting messages in the Legacy version asking me if I want to upgrade to 10.

Me too.  It's still fairly easy to step back in Desktop and Android should you make a mistake,  but obviously better not to have to do so.  The problem is,  I think,  that with the huge number of users Evernote has,  across all sorts of networks and devices,  identifying a small number of causes for something as generic as 'slow' is always going to be difficult.  We can only hope that they eventually find a way to speed thins up to an acceptable level.  Otherwise it's a question of where to go next.... 😕

• Like 3
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

Me too.  It's still fairly easy to step back in Desktop and Android should you make a mistake,  but obviously better not to have to do so.  The problem is,  I think,  that with the huge number of users Evernote has,  across all sorts of networks and devices,  identifying a small number of causes for something as generic as 'slow' is always going to be difficult.  We can only hope that they eventually find a way to speed thins up to an acceptable level.  Otherwise it's a question of where to go next.... 😕

@gazumped am I interpreting you correctly here?  Are you saying that there is a way to go back to legacy in Android too?  Please enlighten me!  Just went back to legacy with Evernote on one of my laptops after getting frustrated with 10  over a month now.  But don't know what to do with my Android version.

• Level 5*

There is,  as they say,  a topic on that... 

You may have to change one setting on your device to persuade it to accept an install from a non-Play Store source,  and you should make sure that you go to the Play Store and use the three-dots menu on the Evernote app page to UNtick automatic updates,  otherwise you may find you get unexpectedly updated again...

I am now really fed up with this *****. It used to be a great note taking app with a ton of useful features & good performance. Now they are just adding more & more unnecessary features that has increased its pricing & has made it too much slow & laggy. It's just about yesterday when I was getting the error 'Sorry, we’re having trouble loading Evernote' & I had to uninstall & install it multiple times to get it work.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, Evernote User 12345 said:

Evernote 10 is an unmitigated disaster that was forced on users without any sort of consideration for how TERRIBLE it is. Electron is garbage and is known for performance issues.

A lot of folks seem to be sticking with Legacy for the time being...

On 8/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, JF_ said:

Evernote now looks like the chief product person thinks it's a destination, rather than a tool that I can quickly pick up while I'm in the middle of a task and use it to help me complete the task.

So much this. A few years ago, I could open Evernote and instantly start capturing all sorts of stream of consciousness ideas, solutions, etc.  Even with a few thousand notes.

Now, I start it, and by the time I've updated and synced and can actually do something, I've already lost the train of thought. Oh, and a bunch of new notifications have arrived to distract me. Even without an update, it's painfully slow.

And I can't leave it sitting open because of the memory leak issue I've experienced (bringing my 32GB system to its knees until I killed the Windows process).

• Like 2
  • Level 5

A few seconds to start, on start below 1 GB, never more than 2-3 GB of RAM. Not as fast as legacy, but good to go. A lot more RAM, but what do you expect from a Chrom(ium) based browser ? I usually start once per day, so in most cases it already is open when I am kissed by creativity.

For grabbing a fast note in most cases I use mobile anyhow. 4sec from tap to home …

5 hours ago, Evernote User 12345 said:

So much this. A few years ago, I could open Evernote and instantly start capturing all sorts of stream of consciousness ideas, solutions, etc.  Even with a few thousand notes.

Now, I start it, and by the time I've updated and synced and can actually do something, I've already lost the train of thought. Oh, and a bunch of new notifications have arrived to distract me. Even without an update, it's painfully slow.

And I can't leave it sitting open because of the memory leak issue I've experienced (bringing my 32GB system to its knees until I killed the Windows process).

Exactly this. It's gotten so bad that I am used to now keeping a pen and paper next to me so that if Evernote crashes, I can write it down on a ***** piece of paper like I always used to do. Which of course defeats the purpose of having it. I guess I'm going to be resorting the ***** notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, Laura Andover said:

I am used to now keeping a pen and paper next to me

There are a ton of other apps you could use to make a short note while Evernote is off with the fairies - I use Workflowy for 'instant' access and a good search engine.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I’m a long standing fully paid up user (joined in 2010, over 8000 notes).

Here’s the thing. I like the updates and the way Evernote seems to be headed in terms of its latest version’s features….

BUT, and it’s getting close to being a deal breaker for me - as per the above posts - it… just… doesn’t…. …. … (wait for it) actually work very well any more. Evernote is too slow. (I’m on a MacBook Air and iPad, both less than 12 months old).

Please fix the slowness problem Evernote. It’s beyond annoying now.

Without improving I’ll be migrating soon (as painful as that’ll be).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 1 month later...

I am now actively looking to switch to OneNote. I am a long time Evernote user. 

The app is too slow on Android. It frustrates me to no end. Click buttons nothing happens... WHY

Please, I will give you guys until the end of the year but by Christmas I have some free time. That is it. I can't deal with it anymore.

Case in point, tried opening Evernote app just then. Took 30 seconds + to load. 🤦

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 11/4/2021 at 12:29 AM, Beau-evernote said:

I am now actively looking to switch to OneNote. I am a long time Evernote user. 

The app is too slow on Android. It frustrates me to no end. Click buttons nothing happens... WHY

Please, I will give you guys until the end of the year but by Christmas I have some free time. That is it. I can't deal with it anymore.

Case in point, tried opening Evernote app just then. Took 30 seconds + to load. 🤦

The same here  - for a month or longer this has been a persisting problem...(Android version 8 on a Galaxy S7 and l have had Evernote for decades...)

I'm thinking of moving to OneNote too for many reasons. However, it's not easy peasy!

There is an importer which supposedly lets you import Evernote files to OneNote, but I haven't been able to get it to work, and many others report the same issue.

I've been hand entering some of my most important Evernote notes into OneNote which is a pain in the butt.Some of the notes I want to move contain photos that I want to move to OneNote, but can't seem to be able to. Some I can retake right in OneNote, others I can't.

• Level 5

OneNote has a completely different structure than EN. EN has a solid export routine - it should be used notebook by notebook, creating ENEX files containing all notes and attachments.

If ON is not good in catching the ball, I would look for solutions in the respective ON forum.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you find any alternative that does NOT force you to change your note taking habits, you can post it here. You would probably have many interested fellow users.

Change can be good as was the case when I first moved to Evernote -- I changed several ways I had previously taken and maintained notes knowing that I would end up with a superior outcome. Unfortunately, as I said, I've had to change my note taking habits for the worse, which usually translates to one or more of the following: waiting considerably longer to enter a note, manually write down notes, wait until I get to my desktop. Even on the desktop the new version runs considerably slower so I use the legacy version. If I had confidence the problem would soon be corrected for my situation, and I do realize not everyone is experiencing the same level of frustration, then I would wait things out.

I am currently reviewing Notion and it looks promising but I really need to load it up with notes and the type of templates I utilize before I can make an accurate assessment. BTW, I only use Evernote for personal use, not for business/collaborating. 

• Thanks 1

I just tried out the Mac Version of Evernote after a while of not using the service at all (tried a couple other alternatives such as Apple notes, Nimbus and OneNote).

Compared to the version that was released 6 months ago the most recent build on Mac seems very quick to me. For me there's still no alternative to Evernote.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been using Evernote for years. It's at the point now where I can't even type a few letters without having to wait several seconds to see them appear. If something does not change shortly I will need to drop my subscription and go to a different program. Evernote has to be aware of the issue yet they remain silent and offer no communication on a fix. VERY DISAPOINTED !! 

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, Jim is in said:

I have been using Evernote for years. It's at the point now where I can't even type a few letters without having to wait several seconds to see them appear. If something does not change shortly I will need to drop my subscription and go to a different program. Evernote has to be aware of the issue yet they remain silent and offer no communication on a fix. VERY DISAPOINTED !! 

Hi.  Tried Support yet?  Reinstalling?

• Level 5*

I just opted to leave EN after the better part of 14 years due to the speed and cumbersome UI issues.  The one thing missing in my new solution is tables.  Though tables were failing with the new EN as I was getting duplicates over and over.  So, I thought I would try a basic account to see if a smaller DB would make any difference. 

Same issue exists with 10 or 56,000 notes.  It would seem a table note can get duplicated no matter your diligence in syncing, browser and iPhone in this case, with changes hours apart.  It appears links to Excel files will be the new home of my tables.  It would be nice to return to EN if these things ever get fixed.

• Level 5

Speed is fine, use of tables does not create any problems.

One of my main uses of tables is to create a table and place photos into it. This will limit the display size of pictures without actually making them smaller. I keep the original resolution, but it shows much smaller. The resulting notes are pretty large, but short of text. No lagging, no duplication.

Maybe the problems are really related to editing text.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Speed is fine, use of tables does not create any problems.

One of my main uses of tables is to create a table and place photos into it. This will limit the display size of pictures without actually making them smaller. I keep the original resolution, but it shows much smaller. The resulting notes are pretty large, but short of text. No lagging, no duplication.

Maybe the problems are really related to editing text.

Could be, all the problematic tables were text only. 

• Level 5

Think so. I have little text, mostly short descriptions of the pictures.

My impression is that there is a larger problem when editing way down than right at the top. But since I have little notes with a lot of text, it is hard to really tell for me. I rather do my writing here 😉

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Think so. I have little text, mostly short descriptions of the pictures.

My impression is that there is a larger problem when editing way down than right at the top. But since I have little notes with a lot of text, it is hard to really tell for me. I rather do my writing here 😉

I was about 5 rows down in the table when I got the duplicate note.  Each line on the table (3 columns, 2 with only a few characters, the last with less than 100.  I suppose I could have had a dumb a$$ attack and went to the second platform too quickly, but I don't think so.  We will leave it at that.   🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

same here, painfully slow, to a point I will soon have to find an alternative. When I need Evernote, it's because either I need super fast access to something, or to rapidly take a quick note, so I cannot wait several seconds between each steps. If you have a good alternative to suggest, I'm all ears 🙂 

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, olbow said:

If you have a good alternative to suggest, I'm all ears

Evernote do seem aware they have issues with speed so we can (hopefully!) expect improvements in the long term. Short term I'm still using Legacy until there's more movement on that,  and since Legacy also has moments when it goes away to contemplate Oneness,  I use Workflowy as a backup notepad.  There are WF clients for most OS's and it's primarily web-based,  but in all cases you'll get a page immediately and can copy/ paste / tag and even clip to your heart's consent.  WF doesn't play well (IMHO) with long-term storage of images,  but you can upload a pic easily and quickly and save it for later.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, olbow said:

same here, painfully slow, to a point I will soon have to find an alternative. When I need Evernote, it's because either I need super fast access to something, or to rapidly take a quick note, so I cannot wait several seconds between each steps. If you have a good alternative to suggest, I'm all ears 🙂 

I stopped adding to EN earlier this month.  I am keeping it for backup and hopes of EN fixing itself. 

Though the loss of local notebooks is what gave me the most impetus.  They may fix speed (iffy for large accounts based upon the platform in use, I hope I am wrong) but no sign of local notebooks ever returning.  A big part of my use case is paperless.  I just don't want to search in two places.  So, I exported all 56k notes via HTML to OneDrive using BoxCryptor for encryption when needed, with Windows indexing enabled for the lot. 

I've said this before in the forums, but I was surprised at the capability and speed of Windows indexing.  Search responses are typically as quick as EN legacy.  Who woulda thunk?  And as per Gaz, I added WorkFlowy for note taking and task management in my case.  WF is lightening on desktop, browser, and mobile.

It seems to be working well as I develop new muscle memory.  Time will tell I suppose if I jumped ship too soon.

• Sad 1

I was giving EN one more try today. I started a clean account. Over the years I have amassed about 100,000 notes - used it all the time. I've been using Google Keep lately and love it - I have about 5000 notes - not one millisecond of lag or hesitation.

So here we are. I have a new laptop - blazing fast with a ton of RAM.

It took EN over one minute just to open - zero notes. I added 5-6 notes - it is unusable. Takes 15 seconds to even get it to scroll. I have never seen any software or app in my life this bad. It's not just me - I have talked to more than a few folks who have switched to something else over the past few years.

Looks like it's back to Google Keep. I'll keep my huge account awhile for reference for a few months - knowing that if I need to access something I can go grab some coffee - maybe lunch - and come back to work.

Frustrating. Disappointing.

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/19/2021 at 2:27 AM, NGMO said:

Looks like it's back to Google Keep. I'll keep my huge account awhile for reference for a few months - knowing that if I need to access something I can go grab some coffee - maybe lunch - and come back to work.

You can install the old client and use it as long as it is available.  No lags there.

I'd be very interested to know the current position with Evernote and how the ratio of paid suscribers / free accounts has changed over the past year since V10 was introduced. Evernote might be able to spin that they have so many million users, but how many have voted with their wallet and no longer paying for an active account?

Like many here, with a heavy heart, I won't be renewing my account and will let it revert to a free account , maintaining it for future reference. 

I've flip / flopped again and at present I'm evaluating Nimbus note as a daily driver. It's best described as a close cousin of Evernote, it certainly doesn't take much relearning to get onto the way of it. Will I stay with Nimbus, the jury's out?  It can do all I need, but there remains a niggle that I don't want to get caught in a single system with no ease of migration. 

I might end up settling for Microsoft OneDrive Outlook and Tasks given I'm paying an annual 365 subscription with 1Tb storage.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Powerfab said:

I'd be very interested to know the current position with Evernote and how the ratio of paid suscribers / free accounts has changed over the past year since V10 was introduced.

I'm sure a lot of people would - but actual official revenue figures have never been available from Evernote.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, olbow said:

thanks for the tip @CalS, I just did so and will give EN another year to fix this (renewal in a few days), but I do hope they are working on this as such a bad performance is not acceptable. 

You are welcome.

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Powerfab said:

I might end up settling for Microsoft OneDrive Outlook and Tasks given I'm paying an annual 365 subscription with 1Tb storage.

As above I landed on OneDrive using Windows indexing.  Added Directory Opus (access) and Workflowy (notes and tasks).  And a group of AutoHotKeys to integrate email saving.  Not as good as EN 6.25.1 but heaps better than V10.  It's a use case thing for sure and I think speed is impacted by account size.  I will keep checking back here from time to time to see if things get "fixed".  One tool to do the job is always better than multiple.  

Really hated to do it after all the years, but not much choice....

• Level 5*
On 12/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, CalS said:

Though the loss of local notebooks is what gave me the most impetus. 

My final straw was loss of scripting (Mac Applescript) 

• Thanks 1
On 12/20/2021 at 8:53 PM, CalS said:

You can install the old client and use it as long as it is available.  No lags there.

Hello, what is the last stable version for macos? 

I was looking for migrating from the evernote to notes. The slowness is completely insane. I will try the old client at first.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, derinbay said:

Hello, what is the last stable version for macos? 

I was looking for migrating from the evernote to notes. The slowness is completely insane. I will try the old client at first.

Macros?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

MacOS; the OS on Mac computers   
Counterpart to Windows   
Doesn't usually get mentioned in a Windows forum 🙂

🤣  My bad.  I read macros not macos.  Time for another cup of coffee.  Or maybe one less?

Just up loaded the latest V10, still slow as ever, there are lags of up to several seconds for almost any action. How can they possibly think that is acceptable performance.

Fortunately I have kept the 6.25 on my other PC and it works just fine.

• Level 5*
On 12/8/2021 at 9:50 AM, CalS said:

I was about 5 rows down in the table when I got the duplicate note.  Each line on the table (3 columns, 2 with only a few characters, the last with less than 100.  I suppose I could have had a dumb a$$ attack and went to the second platform too quickly, but I don't think so.  We will leave it at that.   🤷‍♀️

Update.  I dropped using EN for tables as I just kept getting duplicate notes, in a basic account with 25 notes.  Makes no sense.  Switched to Google sheets linked into WorkFlowy.  Easy access from desktop or mobile.  Simple tables so it is fine for my use case. 

Not trying to step on EN's toes, just providing other larger EN account users some info.  And yeah, EN, table notes seem to duplicate with ease.

Can I pretty please get the real Evernote app back? Can the Electron sugar be damned into the farthest reaches of hell? Why does EVERYTHING take seconds?

Is my computer too old? It's just a year old M1 Air. Do I now need a Cray for Evernote? Is nobody at Evernote actually using Evernote?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I needed to search something among my thousands of notes just in one notebook yesterday. It took EN about one minute to display the tag search menu and accept the tag I entered. In general, it took several minutes to complete the operation. The same thing took just a few seconds in EN Legacy. But it's not EN Legacy I've been paying for. 

Yes, new EN has been painfully slow, ineffective, lacking many basic features (e.g. printing still works like printing screen, you can't switch between languages etc.) which the old EN had. The Android app is virtually unusable being incredibly slow. 

In general - since version 10 it's a shame which needs a total overhaul, starting from the beginning. 

• Thanks 1

Damn, it is really getting worse every day.

even notes without pics, so notes with only texte take ages...

what the hell is going on over there.

start to use REMINDERS in iphone to quickly add ideas...

• Level 5

Just took a look at my watch: Starting on the iOS Home Screen, EN app closed, until a new, empty note is on the screen, ready for starting to jot down an idea: 8 seconds. Usually I am able to still remember then what made me open the app …

If they had a „new note“ widget right on the app icon menu, which would skip the Home screen, they could probably cut it by half, or better. But 8 seconds is quite acceptable, in my opinion.

Edit: If the app is already open and in the background, it cuts the time to appr. 4 seconds from hitting the icon on iOS home until the new note is ready for input.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

The installed EN client is still is not running on a framework version that is fit for M1.

As a workaround I would use the web client. It is close to the feature set of the installed client, but runs in the browser. No framework influence ...

Having complaining about the poor performance in the past, thought I'd give one more try; completely purged any vestiges of EN from my PC. Then installed 10.29.7. This went pretty smoothly and within a few minutes had notebooks visible. After waiting a reasonable time for syncing tried it out. It still took several seconds to bring a note to a window. But the real problem is that editing was unacceptable, any key stroke took one or more seconds to respond on screen. (The PC is high end Dell with plenty of mem etc, W10, everything else runs nice and fast) (editing a note on the web version (Chrome browser) si faster but still has a noticeable keystroke lag)

Purged EN again from PC and installed legacy which comes in as 6.25.3.9348  (I'm running 6.25.1.9091 on my laptop which says it's up to date). Took a while to install and sync but performance is now snappy as ever. And I'm glad to have back again the key short-cut to send a selection to a new note. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, s42 said:

I'm running 6.25.1.9091 on my laptop which says it's up to date

There's another thread on this somewhere - I'm also running 6.25.1 which is the last public version of Evernote 6.  The later ones .2 & .3 are Legacy with some minor options removed in order for them to co-habit (fairly) seamlessly with EN10.

• Level 5

Which iPad do you use ?

We run EN on an iPad Air 2 (2014) and on an iPad Pro 10.5 (2017). Both are using the latest iOS and the latest EN client.

On the old Air you better practice "relaxed typing", on the Pro it runs snappy and fast. On any hardware issued the last 2-3 years it should run without any problem.

In general EN has a syncing issue when notes with a lot of text grow longer and longer. If this is your case, practice splitting the larger notes up into shorter ones - no lagging any more. You don't need to discuss with me if you like this or not. It works, and this is all I am talking about here, user 2 user.

• Level 5

OK, this is probably similar to the 2014 Air 2 we use as a secondary device. The old mini may even have a little less power than the Air - which at that time was what the Pro is today, top of the game.

A modern iPad has appr. 10 times as much transistors in its CPU than the one you are using. And this is the regular one, not this monster Pro running on an M1 chip. Not hard to imagine why the performance may be less than convincing.

Sorry, to my knowledge no easy way out of this.

Just got a brand new Apple Mac M1 Max. The machine runs VERY smooth on all applications except... Evernote.

It seems like Evernote as given up on Evernote, and so am I. After ten years I have started exporting and converting my notes before everything goes down the drain.

@Evernote support please can you provide us with an update on the slow operation of your app… I’ve been using Evernote successfully since 2014 and loved every second!

However, it is now taking me an inordinate amount of time to create notes, especially those with photos, uploading of the notes is also incredibly slow (used to get my notes out to my office working 5-10min of creating now We wait for the next day to get my info processed at the office) 

Please assist… I have no interest in finding another app to use, but Evernote is no longer serving intended purpose and has become a frustration rather than a functional tool!

TIA

13 hours ago, badeand said:

Just got a brand new Apple Mac M1 Max. The machine runs VERY smooth on all applications except... Evernote.

It seems like Evernote as given up on Evernote, and so am I. After ten years I have started exporting and converting my notes before everything goes down the drain.

I think this is likely bad coding or something. Performance just going through notes on M1 MacBook Air is OK if I'm clicking through a list. However, if I try to double click the note to pop out into it's own window it takes 5-10 seconds of staring at a blank window until something happens. The content is already rendered in the main application note so it should propagate to the pop out window quickly I imagine. Perhaps instead of using database data it goes off to the web and downloads new data. However the behavior is the same if the Wifi is off so I have no idea. I feel like version 10 is slowly getting better, but they really need to address speed before feature parity I think. No one has time to sit around for 20 seconds for a note to load each time. 

4 hours ago, Tcellguy said:

Perhaps instead of using database data it goes off to the web

Yeah.I have tried Evernote on three different computers, and the client is really slow on all of them.

I am a programmer my self, and I am pretty sure you are absolutely correct. The local client is just a shell/ embedded browser, but all the main functionality is running in the cloud. I have my self programmed such an application using the Electron framework. If this is badly implemented (as it seems in the case of Evernote), this can be really slow.

I'm converting all my notes to markdown. All my notetaking including files storage and processor usage will no be local with sync to cloud. Evernote is a real example of what can go wrong with using cloud services.

• Level 5*

Slowness seems to effect some use cases more than others.  Short term option until/if EN speeds things up is to use legacy which is as peppy as it ever was.  Not a long term solution for sure but can bridge the gap to a fix or an alternative.

From the app for rapid notes and awesome notes storage it turned to pretty slow combine and sluggish *****.

It's slow on my Windows PC, it's slow on my MacBook M1. The only version that can be used is the legacy version, but it's not supported. 

I've been using it for years, I've been a premium user for years. But I had to start searching for an alternative. 

Terribly slow... it also is a RAM hog. I have to shut down and restart Evernote several times per day despite having 16MB RAM in my Macbook Air. Usually I can run tons of programs simultaneously - but not if Evernote is running. Then I have to shut everything else down and eventually I need to shut down Evernote too. 

The RAM hogging and slowdown has become increasingly worse over the past year or two. I have relied on Evernote for work, school, life... and have 74,000 notes and counting.

Recently, I started parking more of my notes into Apple Notes which is much faster. But to transfer from Evernote to Notes - Evernote allows downloads of 50 notes per download; so that would take 114,000 steps to get my information over to Notes. Does anyone have a workaround?

THanks,.

• 3 weeks later...

Only problems since the new version has been released. i create more tickets than i ever had for 8 years before. Takes 22 sec. to startup on a new macbook pro m1 pro with 16GB RAM inacceptable. When i read the topic here its for month without any improvement. It doesnt need much more to move to another platform. They just take their paying customers not seriously. In 10 years never saw a buggy lounch like this on the cost of the clients. SO EVERNOTE, when you take finally action to bring a version back which fixes the basics??? Dont see even a reason going back to the old version... Nimbus Note i gonna test next if its not being fixed soon

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, PinkElephant said:

If you find any alternative that does NOT force you to change your note taking habits, you can post it here. You would probably have many interested fellow users.

Simplenote, Standard Notes. Way more stripped down, but does exactly what you need it to do, perfectly.

• Level 5

If it is only about taking notes, these apps may do.

But then I do not understand why somebody started with EN anyhow. Only for note taking (I mean, the old fashioned way, writing stuff down) EN seems like overkill - a lot of overkill.

• Level 5

Probably the local database has taken a shot. Long startup time is a sign for it.

You may try this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
Don’t do it when you need offline data in the next days. It will download the database from the server again, but it will take some days to do so. Until then offline data will not be completely available. Online everything works.
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, tomislav.sulc said:

For me, not just slow, but it opens link with 20s delay. What is wrong with this software? :( 

Try what @PinkElephant has suggested. For me, Evernote v10 opens up on my 2013 Windows 12 MB (but SSD) computer in just a couple of seconds. (I definitely believe you that it is way slow for you, so I'm only sharing that so that you can know that's what you should hope to expect.)

• Like 1

On the latest Evernote for android on Galaxy Note 9, I should wait from 2 to 5 minutes to add a single tag to a note. Probably, because I have a lot of tags, but tags work fine on the Evernote 8.13 for android (without any delays). Tags are the core feature of Evernote, there are no ways I can use the new version of the app with such performance. Surely, the new app adds new features and unifies all platforms, but at which costs? It's barely usable, and it's been in development for more than two years. The evernote team, please, do something with that. I'm using the app from 2012, and, even as a long-term customer, instead of praising the app, I see more and more reasons to abandon it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still using Evernote 6 on my desktop PC (Windows 11) because the re-engineered versions are so much slower.  It's all well and good making it prettier, but performance is more important.  I'm used (in Evernote 6) to being able to drag email attachments from Outlook into Evernote as quickly as I can move the mouse.  In Evernote 10 the app locks up for around 5-10 seconds each time while they are received/processed.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but when a 2 minute filing session had become a 10 minute filing session I began to wonder whether it was time to find a different document storage system.  Fortunately I found out that it was possible to downgrade to the faster , older version...

My point/question is - is performance problem (and a number of others) a fundemental limitation of the new architecture, or is it something of which you are aware and that you expect to be able to solve when you get time to put some resources into it?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Home and Work user said:

is it something of which you are aware and that you expect to be able to solve when you get time to put some resources into it?

Hi.  You should be aware that this is a (mainly) user-supported forum,  and Evernote staffers don't often come along to comment on individual issues.  To talk to Evernote,  raise a Support Ticket or feedback from any app.  If you can tell us more about your situation,  as in:  how old is your device,  do you use VPN or a firewall,  are you home or office based...  maybe we can offer some other suggestions.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You should be aware that this is a (mainly) user-supported forum,  and Evernote staffers don't often come along to comment on individual issues.  To talk to Evernote,  raise a Support Ticket or feedback from any app.  If you can tell us more about your situation,  as in:  how old is your device,  do you use VPN or a firewall,  are you home or office based...  maybe we can offer some other suggestions.

Thanks @gazumped 🙂

As I said in my previous message my main gripe is that the new interface is painfully slower than the old one.  I'm a "power user" of a PC, I've been a software engineer since the early 1990s, I expect things to get faster and better with each iteration.  I can see that visually they improved things in the step up from version 6.  I never looked into it, but I suspect that that they re-engineered the whole GUI system from scratch based on a different underlying platform - I'm guessing the old one was written in C++ and the new one switched to some kind of Node.js / Browser object, so of course performance went through the floor.  Someone, somewhere, won a big p*ssing contest in a boardroom and convinced them that the new solution would be better, but it wasn't.  Not only was the new front end klunkily slow but they abandoned features that I loved (in particular import folders - I almost gave up on Evernote at that point) and somehow made the searching facilities feel worse.  If I was a paid consultant working for them I'd write up a 10 page document highlighting all of these things in order of priority - but I'm not, and anyway I am sure that they know these things already...  it's just that (I suspect) their new architecture has painted them into a corner, and they can't get out of it.

Now I read that they've been acquired by an Italian mobile App firm.  I guess it's a "watch this space" situation.  I'm just glad that there's a CLI tool which lets you download your entire data set in a nice XML format - I've been doing that monthly for years in the expectation that one day this software will die and I'll have to migrate elsewhere.  It's a bit like watching a slow speed car crash (the current situation at Twitter springs to mind!)

I'm not really looking for performance tips because I think the problem is the platform itself.  For reference I'm on a reasonably fast 3 year old i5 with 24Gb RAM and SSDs, running Windows 11 in a "light" way (I don't allow lots of third party services to run).  If something like Evernote 10 can't perform well on this, it should have been quietly smothered at birth.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Home and Work user said:

I'm not really looking for performance tips because I think the problem is the platform itself. 

You're not too far wrong in your overall analysis,  though check out Electron who are the platform in question - they have a lot of clients,  some of which run really quickly.  The Italian buy-out (merger?) that you noted may actually help with that,  bcause they - I think - have some cross-platform apps,  and therefore -maybe- some good Electron coders who can help speed things up.  The whole app was completely rewritten a couple of years ago to run within EJS to avoid the overhead of needing separate teams of iOS / MacOS / Windows / Linux / Android coders to keep the various versions of the apps up to date.

Your device set up seems similar to mine - W11 desktop 32MB Ram and SSD / standard HD storage.  But Evernote 10.48 works well for me...  Maybe a chat with Support could help - be patient with the initial 'reboot / reinstall' mantra from the footsoldiers and try for 2nd line help!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The new desktop clients are Electron based, a fact that was widely discussed in the forum. It is practically a browser engine without a front end, embedding the app. AFAIK the new app is coded in JavaScript. The mobile clients use a different framework, optimized for mobile clients.

The old clients were written in a number of programming languages, depending on the clients, which made a unified approach plain impossible. We all could feel that even app maintenance was close to impossible. This was a road with a large "dead end" sign to it, and I am glad they pushed the exit button while they still could.

All the rest we discuss is small change compared to this fundamental makeover.

When the desktop clients show slow startup and delays in their working, a fresh local database sometimes solve the issues. This is how:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote. Keep the app open while it downloads your notes from the server.
  • Like 1