Rolling out Desktop 10.66

still on 10.65.3 and met an "old friend", a still not fixed bug, even I was off for 9 months...

Seems completed actions are still getting out of sync from time to time. While the todo is completed in the note, it constantly reappears in the home screen and in the todo view as still open. On all devices incl. Web-App.

I tried dozens of re-syncs, note edits, to force that change synced to everywhere within the elephant. No chance to fix that. Exactly that bug was the reason to leave Evernote! 

Screenshot_–_9__Nov___2_39_PM.png

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

still on 10.65.3 and met an "old friend", a still not fixed bug, even I was off for 9 months...

Seems completed actions are still getting out of sync from time to time. While the todo is completed in the note, it constantly reappears in the home screen and in the todo view as still open. On all devices incl. Web-App.

I tried dozens of re-syncs, note edits, to force that change synced to everywhere within the elephant. No chance to fix that. Exactly that bug was the reason to leave Evernote! 

Screenshot_–_9__Nov___2_39_PM.png

same problem with 10.66.3

39 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

same problem with 10.66.3

it seems changing the name/title of the todo within the note forces to sync the open/closed status of that task to home view and todo view (could be a temporary workaround). Changing the content of the note does not fix the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The sidebar collapse/expand animation is fine when all my tags and notebooks are collapsed, but when I have them expanded/showing, the animation is pretty laggy on my machine -- both Desktop and Web. (MacOS Evernote v10.65.3, 2.3 GHz 8-Core i9, 32 GB Ram, with ~150 tags/notebooks showing in the sidebar.)

2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

The sidebar collapse/expand animation is fine when all my tags and notebooks are collapsed, but when I have them expanded/showing, the animation is pretty laggy on my machine -- both Desktop and Web. (MacOS Evernote v10.65.3, 2.3 GHz 8-Core i9, 32 GB Ram, with ~150 tags/notebooks showing in the sidebar.)

Yes, the animation is still laggy but they definitely improved it in this build. I'm still seeing a CPU/Memory spike when adjusting the sidebar. I would suggest you watch your CPU usage and memory while adjusting the sidebar and see if it spikes and and drops back to normal when you stop moving it.

12 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Yes, the animation is still laggy but they definitely improved it in this build. I'm still seeing a CPU/Memory spike when adjusting the sidebar. I would suggest you watch your CPU usage and memory while adjusting the sidebar and see if it spikes and and drops back to normal when you stop moving it.

I just did a test on Expanding /Collapsing the Sidebar  CPU only increased from 6%  to 10% and Memory only a very marginal increase both of which I would expect and not significant.

• Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

I just did a test on Expanding /Collapsing the Sidebar  CPU only increased from 6%  to 10% and Memory only a very marginal increase both of which I would expect and not significant.

You can see in my post here the CPU and memory spike. It's better in 10.66 but still reproducible on Windows.

8 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

You can see in my post here the CPU and memory spike. It's better in 10.66 but still reproducible on Windows.

I cant reproduce that both CPU and memory only increase slightly and don't continue to rise (Windows 11)

5 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

I cant reproduce that both CPU and memory only increase slightly and don't continue to rise (Windows 11)

It could be a hardware specific issue. I'm on a laptop, perhaps it is something that happens more on lower TDP mobile hardware.

On 11/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, ferol said:

@Federico Simionato
In 10.66.3 on Windows 10 I found problem. If Shortcuts is ON, there is no Notebooks an TAGS, Trash.... see images..
Problem is only if all Shortcuts have enough space down... so no need scrolling on left black side...

Same problem here. 10.66.3 macOS. Maybe this is something that QA could have missed if their screen is "too small"?

9 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

It could be a hardware specific issue. I'm on a laptop, perhaps it is something that happens more on lower TDP mobile hardware.

That could well be it, I am on an i7 Desktop with a Fast GPU Card.

• Level 5
On 11/9/2023 at 1:41 PM, ferol said:

@Federico Simionato
In 10.66.3 on Windows 10 I found problem. If Shortcuts is ON, there is no Notebooks an TAGS, Trash.... see images..

Problem is only if all Shortcuts have enough space down... so no need scrolling on left black side...

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Are you working with a vertical monitor? I wonder if this could be related to what someone else reported with v. 10.65:

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Are you working with a vertical monitor? I wonder if this could be related to what someone else reported with v. 10.65:

On 10.63.3 in another PC I dont have this problem....  on Vertical monitor

• Level 5

Just to contribute to the discussion:

When I wiggle the separation between the left panel and the notes list, CPU usage goes up. When I stop moving it, the CPU usage goes down again. So what, when I wiggle it, it needs to recalculate the view in 3 sections of the app. I do something, the app does something, the CPU get's work. That's what using a computer is about.

Display of the left column: On the laptop screen, the left column is going all the way down 'til the help & keyboard bottom line. But if I use the EN client on my 32" 4k display, a gap of say 4cm is left unused between the end of the listing, and the bottom line. It stays black. This in landscape setup, no need to flip it to portrait view. Again for me "so what": It has enough height tho show everything I need to see. Could be probably fixed, I just ignore it. But maybe they get the devs new large screens 🤣

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just to contribute to the discussion:

When I wiggle the separation between the left panel and the notes list, CPU usage goes up. When I stop moving it, the CPU usage goes down again. So what, when I wiggle it, it needs to recalculate the view in 3 sections of the app. I do something, the app does something, the CPU get's work. That's what using a computer is about.

Display of the left column: On the laptop screen, the left column is going all the way down 'til the help & keyboard bottom line. But if I use the EN client on my 32" 4k display, a gap of say 4cm is left unused between the end of the listing, and the bottom line. It stays black. This in landscape setup, no need to flip it to portrait view. Again for me "so what": It has enough height tho show everything I need to see. Could be probably fixed, I just ignore it. But maybe they get the devs new large screens 🤣

The issue with this is when I use my Surface Laptop Studio on the Recommended power mode which is designed to be power efficient for optimal battery life this CPU spike causes the animation to get choppy and lag. The web app doesn't have this issue, just the Electron app. It's clearly an optimization problem that should be addressed. There's no need for that to spike the CPU usage to over 30 percent and use an additional 400 MB of RAM just to recalculate the size of the viewport. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No offense meant, but you guys seem to spend a lot of time playing with your sidebars. I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but I almost never resize the thing, so seldom that if there were an animation issue I wouldn't pay any attention to it. Let alone check for a CPU usage spike. All functioning should be smooth and perfect, for sure, but is there a reason to slather developer time on fixing this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
34 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

No offense meant, but you guys seem to spend a lot of time playing with your sidebars. I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but I almost never resize the thing, so seldom that if there were an animation issue I wouldn't pay any attention to it. Let alone check for a CPU usage spike. All functioning should be smooth and perfect, for sure, but is there a reason to slather developer time on fixing this?

It's just annoying that a UI element would cause a CPU spike an a memory leak. BS is taking a lot of time to optimize their software stack and if adjusting the sidebar causes a CPU spike that is going to impact battery life on mobile devices what other issues are causing unneeded resource consumption. It's simply an inefficiency that needs to be corrected and I'm simply reporting a bug that I discovered in the client. I'm not suggesting we all go fiddle with our sidebars, it's simply an optimization issue with their rendering engine that should be fixed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hrrrr - hmmmm - I do get your panic with battery life mentioning a Surface Laptop Studio when wiggling a bit with an UI element. Probably you can see your battery indicator drop like a stone while trying.

However, me being on a MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon .... 😇

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Hrrrr - hmmmm - I do get your panic with battery life mentioning a Surface Laptop Studio when wiggling a bit with an UI element. Probably you can see your battery indicator drop like a stone while trying.

However, me being on a MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon .... 😇

Understandable however I prefer to work on a computer, not a digital prision. 😛

You can't replace any components in a modern Mac and the ones that can be replaced require a connection to Apples servers in order to tie it to the hardware. As someone who repairs my own gear I'd never own anything I cannot disassemble and fix myself.

Microsoft is kind enough to make their newer devices not only easy to repair but they sell all major components on their website for any customer to purchase.

I also use some pretty unique software that is Windows only, and my IT career keeps me in Microsoft's ecosystem.

• Like 2

I should mention that I am a former longtime Mac user. When they began to make their hardware irreparable by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Repair Center I left them and never looked back. Steve was a true visionary and pushed technology forward. Tim Apple over there doesn't have the same vision and just turns out the same iPhone every year.

Moreover, RISC architecture is great for power efficiency but even the most powerful ARM chip from Apple is nowhere near the performance of Intel's highest end offering.

What gets me the most is if I wanted to upgrade the storage in a Macbook Pro I better get the electron microscope out!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I rather don't think you can repair much on a Surface device either. The only exchangeable part is the SSD.

I do freelancing work. It is funny when you have a mixed meeting with guys from the customer, and us free folks. You can tell them apart from their gear: Those who buy their own devices are nearly completely on Macs, those who get them from their employers IT are lurking on Windows machines. Imagine who is watching whom with envy in their eyes 😅

Just now, PinkElephant said:

I rather don't think you can repair much on a Surface device either. The only exchangeable part is the SSD.

I do freelancing work. It is funny when you have a mixed meeting with guys from the customer, and us free folks. You can tell them apart from their gear: Those who buy their own devices are nearly completely on Macs, those who get them from their employers IT are lurking on Windows machines. Imagine who is watching whom with desire in their eyes 😅

You are mistaken see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/surface-repair-parts

There are many components that can be replaced by an end user and sold directly by Microsoft and moreover don't require a software process to marry it to the hardware like with repairs to Apple devices. They sell batteries, displays, power jacks, USB ports, audio jacks, replacement feet, SSDs et cetera. If I buy a Surface device and want more storage I can pop in an M.2. If I buy an modern Mac and want to upgrade my storage I can't because it is unified on the SOC. They also charge insane amounts for extra storage and RAM that aren't consistent with market values for those components.

When I was studying cyber security in my Masters program a few years ago I don't think I saw a single Mac amongst that crowd. Everyone used Windows or Linux. People who want to tinker or repair their own devices simply don't choose Apple products as Apple completely locks its user into its walled garden. Back when I used a Mac it was trivial to swap an SSD out, add a few larger SODIMMs or replace an internal battery. That all changed when Tim Cook took over. I was a Mac user from 2006-2013, heck my username on every site I use is mackid1993. I was hardcore cult of Apple. They completely abandoned their power users and forced us over to Linux and Windows.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

You simply buy your Mac with enough of anything, and don't bother. It makes "Ouch" once when you look at the bank slip after buying, and from then on it's pure joy. 

They had a hard time while waiting for Intel to get things sorted out. On the latest Intel MacBook Pro you better did not buy the top i9-config. It throttled so rapidly that the i7 was faster in day to day use. Still very nice laptops, but heart-broken, so to say.

Since Apple builds their own chips, everything is nice & easy. I still have a MBP with i7 (one of the last ones, with an AMD VEGA GPU), and benchmarked it recently against my Mac mini with the base M1 SOC. They get practically the same benchmark results, single and multicore, plus CPU. The MBP sounds like it is taking off while running the benchmark - the mini just sits there silently, crunching along. 

All that has happened is that Intel now has added some efficiency cores. Power consumption is still roughly 4-fold on any serious jobs. Fans are still blowing. Software that makes use of efficiency cores it not very present yet, and the older software that is always the argument for a Windows machine doesn't know and use them at all. I think the technical debt of the x86 platform is simply too big to offload enough to make them competitive again.

We will see some good Windows on ARM machines within the next 2 years, and then there will be some competition again.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

You simply buy your Mac with enough of anything, and don't bother. It makes "Ouch" once when you look at the bank slip after buying, and from then on it's pure joy. 

They had a hard time while waiting for Intel to get things sorted out. On the latest Intel MacBook Pro you better did not buy the top i9-config. It throttled so rapidly that the i7 was faster in day to day use. Still very nice laptops, but heart-broken, so to say.

Since Apple builds their own chips, everything is nice & easy. I still have a MBP with i7 (one of the last ones, with an AMD VEGA GPU), and benchmarked it recently against my Mac mini with the base M1 SOC. They get practically the same benchmark results, single and multicore, plus CPU. The MBP sounds like it is taking off while running the benchmark - the mini just sits there silently, crunching along. 

All that has happened is that Intel now has added some efficiency cores. Power consumption is still roughly 4-fold on any serious jobs. Fans are still blowing. Software that makes use of efficiency cores it not very present yet, and the older software that is always the argument for a Windows machine doesn't know and use them at all. I think the technical debt of the x86 platform is simply too big to offload enough to make them competitive again.

We will see some good Windows on ARM machines within the next 2 years, and then there will be some competition again.

I agree, Intel chips do run hotter which will lead to throttling in a smaller chassis. Thermal design is very important with X86 based systems. They've made strides in the last few years and every generation from Intel has added more processing threads and increased efficiency. Hopefully we'll start to see Windows on ARM take off with the new Qualcomm chips which will be great for ultraportables. Still though for compute heavy tasks Intel and Nvidia are the gold standard.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2023 at 2:24 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Please, use this thread to report issues you specifically experience on this version.

I think this release has caused some minor issues between Mac and Windows fans -- maybe a minor patch is in the near future for it? 😜

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Boot17 said:

I think this release has caused some issues between Mac and Windows fans -- maybe a minor patch is in the near future for it?

Haha I agree, @PinkElephant and I have veered a little off topic. I think we both made some good points but it's best to leave this thread for issues related to 10.66! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An easy fix, I'd hope, but apparently not at the top of anyone's list:

The sidebar is black while in Light mode, still.

I was finally forced into upgrading (in September), and found the shiny new version has a black sidebar. Selecting "Light" mode doesn't fix it.

I submitted a question to Support on September 28th:

It appears that the only option for the background under the Notebooks/Notes sidebar is black, even in Light mode. Why...? 😞 

Am I missing something? I never want a black background under text - it's so harsh on the eyes - but I can't see any way to change it. Hoping there's a workaround, or an update coming soon.

And...

• Just to clarify, it used to be white.
  • Now, in Dark Mode it’s black, which is fine.
  • But in Light Mode it’s also black. That’s the issue.

The response I got was vaguely encouraging, but the issue hasn't been fixed yet:

"Thank you for your clarification and for the feedback. 

I must agree that it should be in white when it is in Light Mode. Please be assured that we are continuously striving to improve our services and provide the best possible experience for all our users."

• Evernote Expert
14 minutes ago, Linda Eskin said:

The good news is that this is on the UI team's agenda.  I can't say when it will appear for general release but sooner rather than later I hope.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Linda Eskin said:

An easy fix, I'd hope, but apparently not at the top of anyone's list:

I’ve seen this in other apps.  Maybe it is some type of convention.  If they do “fix” this then I hope they make it optional.  I prefer the contrast as well.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I’ve seen this in other apps.  Maybe it is some type of convention.  If they do “fix” this then I hope they make it optional.  I prefer the contrast as well.

Right? Would it be so hard to provide a "Light Sidebar" checkbox? Sigh...

[Also, I wish they wouldn't limit "reactions" on this board. I've used mine up, so couldn't simple "like" your reply.]

Failure of any/all backlinks in notes within a search result list.

Any note in the result list that has a backlink will wind up selecting/pointing to the first note in the result list. This is true also for any note in the search results list that has a backlink to a note not in the search results list.

If the search is cleared, backlinks work correctly for all the notes in the search results list..

This is true for both  the web version and the Windows desktop version.

This issue has been reported to product support more than a month ago and I was told that the issue/problem was forwarded on to the development team (Ticket# 3765584)

Both the web and windows desktop app are on the latest version of 10.66.3 (although there was a post earlier that indicated the very latest version was 10.66.4 even tho the evernote.com/download link does not yet have this latest version.)

Does anyone use backlinks? I'm surprised that I'm the only one (apparently) having this problem!
1 hour ago, amInMarina said:

Does anyone use backlinks? I'm surprised that I'm the only one (apparently) having this problem!

Backlinks get lost when you merge notes. I would really love them, but they don't work for me anyway. I merge all the time. (technically they could be kept working when introduxing a simple lookup list in the DB) 

2 hours ago, MvdH said:

technically they could be kept working when introduxing a simple lookup list in the DB

A lookup list might be implemented very easy - the problem is to maintain it 😉 (at least when deleting sources or destinations or merging merged, ...).

Merging notes means that one or some note IDs are removed. So either you have to keep removed IDs to forward links to the resulting note or you have change source note text (embedded URLs) to point to the resulting note.

If you decide to change source notes, you should update their updated date. But this is not intended from user's site. So you have to maintain a translation table for older (now unavailable) note ids...

As long as this is not done, a tool to Find broken internal links might help...

17 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

@janndk I think this was your bug!

That's great 🙂 It took "only" 5 months for the Evernote team to fix it 😒

Unfortunately every Evernote fix seems to come with new bugs - so PDF export is still/again broken.

image.png.a466c43db220efd99b7352ec5ea61010.png

image.png.6fd5fe92ac8b9ab02d61522b38ae0f51.png

In another thread it was suggested I post my problem here.

I'm having constant problems with both recurring (and sometime not recurring) tasks not updating. I will click them as done and then they reappear.  I will get a little message saying "Task Completed, Next due date is...

I have had this problem on every platform - Web based (Firefox & Chrome), Surface tablet, Iphone, ipad.

The problem seems to be originating from the Surface. If  I click on the task as completed in Evernote on the web (Chrome) it will update and sync everywhere except for the Surface. The completed recurring tasks remains on the Surface Evernote app with its old due date. It will stay that way until I try to complete the task on the Surface and then the recurring tasks pops back up on every platform with the old due date.

Generally Evernote on the surface doesn't seem to sync as smoothly and reliably on the surface as they do all other platforms.

Devices used - iPhoneSE (2nd generation), iPad mini(6th generation), Surface Pro 9, 

• Level 5
On 11/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, amInMarina said:
Failure of any/all backlinks in notes within a search result list.

Any note in the result list that has a backlink will wind up selecting/pointing to the first note in the result list. This is true also for any note in the search results list that has a backlink to a note not in the search results list.

If the search is cleared, backlinks work correctly for all the notes in the search results list..

This is true for both  the web version and the Windows desktop version.

This issue has been reported to product support more than a month ago and I was told that the issue/problem was forwarded on to the development team (Ticket# 3765584)

Both the web and windows desktop app are on the latest version of 10.66.3 (although there was a post earlier that indicated the very latest version was 10.66.4 even tho the evernote.com/download link does not yet have this latest version.)

I just did a search in v. 10.65.3 and found backlinks working as they should from notes in the results list, including backlinks both to notes in that list and to notes outside it. I followed chains of backlinks to notes outside the list that were 4 notes deep. Then I updated to v. 10.66.4 and found the same results. So I wonder if you have a corrupted database. The usual solution suggested in these forums is to uninstall using Revo Uninstaller (to wipe out things the Windows uninstaller misses), then reinstall and let Evernote start rebuilding your database, which can take some time depending on its size.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just did a search in v. 10.65.3 and found backlinks working as they should from notes in the results list, including backlinks both to notes in that list and to notes outside it. I followed chains of backlinks to notes outside the list that were 4 notes deep. Then I updated to v. 10.66.4 and found the same results. So I wonder if you have a corrupted database. The usual solution suggested in these forums is to uninstall using Revo Uninstaller (to wipe out things the Windows uninstaller misses), then reinstall and let Evernote start rebuilding your database, which can take some time depending on its size.

Thanks for all of your efforts in testing the problem I'm running into. It was my understanding that when I submitted the support ticket that they were able to reproduce the problem and had forwarded the issue on to the development group.

Also, I'm running into the exact same backlink problem when using web app; wouldn't that indicate that the Desktop app database is ok?

I've had to uninstall/reinstall Evernote desktop app  in the past but have never used the Revo Uninstaller.  Is that necessary & is their free version ok to use?

Thanks!

--- PS .. added as an "edit"

In my case, the search is done within a NOTEBOOK, not "everywhere". 

I've tried testing backlinks when a search is done on ALL the notes in my DB and do not have a problem with backlinks.

Edited by amInMarina
added a "PS"
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, jildasn said:

I'm having constant problems with both recurring (and sometime not recurring) tasks not updating. I will click them as done and then they reappear.  I will get a little message saying "Task Completed, Next due date is.

With recurring tasks the intended for is that when you complete the task for the current date the tasks will then immediately reappear for the next due date and the message you describe is presented on screen. Without more detail I'd say that for recurring tasks you are getting the intended result. 

If you are getting the "Task Completed, Next due date is..." message with non-recurrent tasks then there is something significantly wrong.

I think it would be helpful if you could give a description of the steps needed to reproduce the result you see. Describe also what you think you should see.

• Level 5

To really start a fresh install, using an uninstaller app (PC: Revo, Mac: AppCleaner) is essential. Only these tools remove all parts of the install - not only the app. BTW this is nothing special to v10 - I had to use AppCleaner on legacy as well if I wanted the local database to be erased either.

• Level 5
21 hours ago, amInMarina said:

Thanks for all of your efforts in testing the problem I'm running into. It was my understanding that when I submitted the support ticket that they were able to reproduce the problem and had forwarded the issue on to the development group.

Also, I'm running into the exact same backlink problem when using web app; wouldn't that indicate that the Desktop app database is ok?

I've had to uninstall/reinstall Evernote desktop app  in the past but have never used the Revo Uninstaller.  Is that necessary & is their free version ok to use?

Thanks!

--- PS .. added as an "edit"

In my case, the search is done within a NOTEBOOK, not "everywhere". 

I've tried testing backlinks when a search is done on ALL the notes in my DB and do not have a problem with backlinks.

Thanks for this. I tried it again, searching for a word in the notes within a single notebook, and once again got the expected proper results. So whatever the issue is, it is not happening to everyone, though I know you're not the only one (others have reported it in other threads, I think).

WRT Revo Uninstaller, my understanding is that it removes material that the regular Windows Uninstaller may miss, and that it does have a free version (I haven't used it myself). But as you say, if it's happening in the Web app also, it would not seem to be a problem with your local database.

2 minutes ago, scottedwards2000 said:

did you ever get a response?

I should provide more details to reproduce the problem. Since I wasn‘t able to further investigate and no chance to reproduce it right now, that ticket went to „sleeping“

• Like 1