Red screen when sharing browser content to Evernote

Go to solution Solved by BEHA,

On the Google Play Store, the bad ratings regarding this problem now go back as far as 4 weeks. 

Didn't Bending Spoons understand that the core feature we subscribed to Evernote which is now a serious problem? i.e. taking notes and clipping to Evernote!

Bending Spoons, you can safely put your frills with AI etc. on the heap, there are more important things to do!

• Like 2

I am still thrilled that they release updates which seem not even tested against bugs regarding core functionalities. Share-to-EN is such a fundamental functionality no way you do not recognize this bug if you do real world testing. Well I noticed the bug instantly on all my Androids, althoug being just a customer! Wow this is even worse with BS than with the former EN devs. Nothing to be seen of the announced quality over quantity the last six months 😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Wow.  What a fuss.  I had the issue on one device,  found several work-arounds,  chose one that suited me and got on with my life.  SHARE your clips with another service - there are dozens of options on my Androids - and choose one that works for you. 

Evernote have presumably used the information they got from users who were affected by this issue and have fixed it.  Sadly Google and Apple seem to have first dibs on any apps that might be uploaded to a mobile device - until they have verified that it is harmless,  software companies may not distribute their software - even if it is fixing an issue that Google and Apple apprently missed last time around.  If you want to complain,  how about asking them to fast-track the new revision?

And my chosen workaround is to have a Google drive folder (other cloud drives are available) to which I can share my clips.  Evernote has that folder marked as an import folder,  so anything posted there gets posted into my account - pretty much like an old-fashioned clip.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

SHARE your clips with another service ...

Evernote have presumably used the information they got from users who were affected by this issue and have fixed it. 

uh no, nothing is fixed.  and Evernote increased the price from 59 EUR to 100 EUR.  FOR WHAT?  THAT'S why I find it unacceptable when even the feature I subscribed to Evernote for doesn't work: I want to create notes, edit existing notes - not possible currently with Android app! I want to clip ideas, websites, posts, images on the go - not possible with Android app! I don't pay 100 EUR for sharing whatever with Google or E-Mail 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, BEHA said:

I don't pay 100 EUR for sharing whatever with Google or E-Mail

You're contrbuting to a thread that's about sharing browser content.  If that's not your issue,  I'd suggest you take your subscription and report your actual issues to Evernote Support,  which is actually what you're paying for.  A subscription does not mean that you can magically continue to use the app no matter what changes happen to devices, operating systems or other features.  And elsewhere in this thread an actual employee confirmed that Yes,  the red screen issue is - he thinks - fixed,  but the version containing that fixed is mired up with Google and Apple,  hence my other comments.

PS if you've not already tried it - uninstall Evernote / power your Android off and back on / reinstall Evernote.  Support will ask you to do that anyway and you can jump past that step quickly.

1 hour ago, nigebj said:

Can confirm that uninstall, reboot, reinstall resolved this - P7P, Android 13.

No, it doesn't fix it, only for a short time it seems to work, then it fails again as others said above, same for me here.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You're contrbuting to a thread that's about sharing browser content.  If that's not your issue,  I'd suggest you take your subscription and report your actual issues to Evernote Support,  which is actually what you're paying for.  A subscription does not mean that you can magically continue to use the app no matter what changes happen to devices, operating systems or other features.  And elsewhere in this thread an actual employee confirmed that Yes,  the red screen issue is - he thinks - fixed,  but the version containing that fixed is mired up with Google and Apple,  hence my other comments.

PS if you've not already tried it - uninstall Evernote / power your Android off and back on / reinstall Evernote.  Support will ask you to do that anyway and you can jump past that step quickly.

1. The JPG on my phone gallery as mentioned above are not browser content -> does not work to send them to Evernote.

2. Opening and editing existing notes not possible, the loading icon is spinning endlessly

3. You obviously don't read carefully: we all had already opened support tickets, so did I!

4. I repeatedly said, that a re-install does only work for a short time, so did the clearing of app's cache etc.

5.  I posted what support said: nothing helpful, only that they forward it to dev team.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, BEHA said:

The JPG on my phone gallery as mentioned above are not browser content -> does not work to send them to Evernote.

The idea in this forum is to have a single issue discussed in one thread. This thread is about sharing to Evernote.  So were my responses.  If you want more information about your issues,  please go back to Support quoting your original ticket number.

This should be treated by Evernote as an all-hands-on-deck, cancel all time off, suspend everything else kind of superbug. I cannot send content to my Evernote collection with this red screen madness: without this fundamental capability in Evernote I’ve depended upon and used for 12 years, I could save $20/month by switching to Keep (or using courier pigeons).

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, flyer1003 said:

I am having the same issue (latest version of Evernote on Samsung S23 Ultra).

Yup - known issue,  already fixed - but Apple & Google take time to review updates before they're available to users.  Meantime share to another service - email if you're a subscriber,  a cloud drive if not.  Set up a cloud drive folder as an Import Folder and sharing there will automatically import to Evernote.  It's possible to have multiple Import Folders connected to different notebooks if you need them.

Create import folders

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

And my chosen workaround is to have a Google drive folder (other cloud drives are available) to which I can share my clips.  Evernote has that folder marked as an import folder,  so anything posted there gets posted into my account - pretty much like an old-fashioned clip.

Can I ask how you were able to set up a Google Drive import folder? I get an error message that says, "Evernote does not support import folders with Google Drive" when I try to select a folder in Google Drive.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Coffee First Thing said:

Can I ask how you were able to set up a Google Drive import folder?

Hmmn.  Should have specified:  I set up an EvernoteClips folder in the local Drive folder on my C:\ drive,  so a share to that folder online gets synced "internally" within Google and then imported to Evernote... and synced back to their server.  Not exactly elegant,  but it works...

• Like 1
On 7/9/2023 at 3:52 AM, Nick L. said:

There are workarounds to ensure the app is working in the meantime, so I suggest to open a ticket with support if possible. 

I contacted support, but didn't get any answer. They just closed the ticket 😒

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Seems to be working now! Yay! And I got a survey before it was fixed asking how I enjoyed my interactions with Support. Please. 

Last night, tried sharing to EN, got the red screen. This morning, tried it and amazingly, it worked. I just now decided to edit this post by saying that I just did a share from Amazon to EN and it worked just as before. 

It would be reassuring if they came out with a notification as to what went wrong and how they fixed it. 

20 minutes ago, ChristerWhitworth said:

Seems to be working now! Yay! And I got a survey before it was fixed asking how I enjoyed my interactions with Support. Please. 

Last night, tried sharing to EN, got the red screen. This morning, tried it and amazingly, it worked. I just now decided to edit this post by saying that I just did a share from Amazon to EN and it worked just as before. 

It would be reassuring if they came out with a notification as to what went wrong and how they fixed it. 

I still get the red screen - and after that Evernote loses contact to the server and begins an endless updating circle. Only way to get the app in function again is to restart the mobile.

3 hours ago, janndk said:

I contacted support, but didn't get any answer. They just closed the ticket 😒

Yes, my was closed too, without any further notice.

The guys seem totally not suitable to have taken over this app.

I re-opened my ticket 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

A closed ticket just means that it has been passed to the relevant Dev team or that the issue has been identified, a resolution planned and that they believe they've told you everything you need to know.

It doesn't mean that they have decided that there is nothing more to be done.

How will we know when the fixed version is ready to be rolled out? I've been with Evernote for over a decade, like many, and I'm starting to feel anxious that there is no real customer support, and perhaps I need to start looking at migration as a backup plan. The support chat is down. The robot chat doesn't lead to an article mentioning the red screen error as a known issue. One support forum link featured on the site leads to a dead link. I haven't figured out how to file a ticket yet, though I found this forum first, and it sounds like others have had their tickets closed out pending the future resolution. I'm sure the devs are working on a better package, and I've been there, it takes time, but the communication with users has been very disappointing. Is Evernote going away? Should we be preparing? 

9 hours ago, agsteele said:

A closed ticket just means that it has been passed to the relevant Dev team or that the issue has been identified, a resolution planned and that they believe they've told you everything you need to know.

It doesn't mean that they have decided that there is nothing more to be done.

@Nick L. : "There are workarounds to ensure the app is working in the meantime, so I suggest to open a ticket with support if possible. "

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, janndk said:

@Nick L. : "There are workarounds to ensure the app is working in the meantime, so I suggest to open a ticket with support if possible. "

And your problem with this is? 

The work-arounds are all in this thread,  and anyone expecting to share content to the current version of the app without using them is going to be seeing red for more reasons than one.  It's dumb.  Please don't do that.

Evernote can't walk back the update because the app stores won't let them.

Evernote can't fast-track the next one because the app stores won't let them.

Burying the company in duplicate tickets and/ or bad reviews because they can't do the impossible is very dumb - and spiteful to boot.

If you do have a ticket - open or closed - go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/ to add a comment or a query and possibly get Support to repeat the work-arounds listed above.  I don't see what else they could do at this stage - Nick L. was maybe expecting them to be more pro-actively helpful,  but they're very busy and very human and presumably regard this issue as fixed and done,  even if it's waiting on release.

And if anyone wants to call for a credit or refund because of the 'inconvenience' - please read your terms and conditions.  Like most tech companies,  Evernote is not held to impossible standards - disruptions (and the ensuing ticket-storms) are always avoided if possible.  If they happen they're fixed as soon as possible.  No harm,  no foul.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

And your problem with this is? 

The work-arounds are all in this thread,  and anyone expecting to share content to the current version of the app without using them is going to be seeing red for more reasons than one.  It's dumb.  Please don't do that.

Evernote can't walk back the update because the app stores won't let them.

Evernote can't fast-track the next one because the app stores won't let them.

Burying the company in duplicate tickets and/ or bad reviews because they can't do the impossible is very dumb - and spiteful to boot.

If you do have a ticket - open or closed - go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/ to add a comment or a query and possibly get Support to repeat the work-arounds listed above.  I don't see what else they could do at this stage - Nick L. was maybe expecting them to be more pro-actively helpful,  but they're very busy and very human and presumably regard this issue as fixed and done,  even if it's waiting on release.

And if anyone wants to call for a credit or refund because of the 'inconvenience' - please read your terms and conditions.  Like most tech companies,  Evernote is not held to impossible standards - disruptions (and the ensuing ticket-storms) are always avoided if possible.  If they happen they're fixed as soon as possible.  No harm,  no foul.

Wow. One of the Evernote devotees getting upset again? 😒

Just following Nick L.s advice - but support just closed the ticket, without answering. 

There is no "workarounds to ensure the app is working" listed above (unless you think removing and reinstalling Evernote before every use is a solution?)

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, janndk said:

There is no "workarounds to ensure the app is working"

Ah - I see the hair you're splitting there.  Could a member of staff have mispoken?  I cannot believe it!  As to workarounds to get the job done

On 7/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, janndk said:

Wow - this works quite well 🙂👍

That's just below my comment about sharing to a cloud drive.

2 hours ago, janndk said:

One of the Evernote devotees getting upset

Not upset or especially devoted: just annoyed at long pointless threads wasting my time.  Like Support I have enough to do without rehashing old news.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, Coffee First Thing said:

Can I ask how you were able to set up a Google Drive import folder? I get an error message that says, "Evernote does not support import folders with Google Drive" when I try to select a folder in Google Drive.

Just point the import path to the local folder of google drive. The folder which is mirrored locally. Providing you've set it up this way, of course.

Google allow you to work with a local copy of the files as well, i.e. a mirror which I personally use. If you have a local copy then point the import to that. You can go into google drives options from the systray and set it up. See the attached snippet - these are google drive's settings from the applet which resides in the system tray.

Hope this helps.

googledrive.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gazumped said:
7 hours ago, janndk said:

There is no "workarounds to ensure the app is working"

Ah - I see the hair you're splitting there.  Could a member of staff have mispoken?  I cannot believe it!  As to workarounds to get the job done

Luckily we have you to interpret and correct their words.

I'll try to remember to ask you first, everytime Evernote staff writes something.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:
On 7/6/2023 at 2:26 PM, janndk said:

Wow - this works quite well 🙂👍

That's just below my comment about sharing to a cloud drive.

Yes, that works quite well in some cases (and emailing to EN too) for sharing/collecting, but doesn't solve the problem with Evernote. Why use Evernote at all, if every function needs a workaround? 

Actually I found out that Onenote is the best workaround in my case. Not as total replacement for Evernote, but for collecting stuff on mobile ...while we wait and wait and wait Evernote to fix the problem. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, gazumped said:
8 hours ago, janndk said:

One of the Evernote devotees getting upset

Not upset or especially devoted: just annoyed at long pointless threads wasting my time.  Like Support I have enough to do without rehashing old news.

Quite a disturbing statement from Evernote's forum moderator: Paying customers asking for help are annoying and timewasters 🫢

• Thanks 2

Thanks for reaching out. Yes, sitting here with v10.51. This is so annoying but the import folder workaround is surprisingly effective. 

Frustrating that when I sent in my support request, you'd have thought I was the only person who was having this problem. Activity log and so on. I responded with a link to this thread from their own site. Ridiculous. Were I not sitting on over 2K notes and as an old dog not wanting to learn new tricks when this app has worked so well for me for over 10 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

And annoyingly (again) the next mobile version can't be downloaded until the app stores (presumably) get through their own staging process - something else which Evernote doesn't control.  It could still be a while.

Meanwhile to recap:

The issue here is frustrating,  but has several easy work-arounds while we wait for the resolution to arrive.  That,  Evernote claims,  is already in the pipeline for general release.  AFAIK there's nothing more that anyone can do to change the situation,  apart from users finding another app,  which is always a choice if you want to take it - but that tends to be a lot more work than learning how to share to a cloud drive.

I just paid for another year so I guess I am committed...

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, janndk said:

Quite a disturbing statement from Evernote's forum moderator: Paying customers asking for help are annoying and timewasters 🫢

I have already learned on other occasions (usually when I come to the forums because EN messed up something big time again) that there are like at least 2 guys here (they must be guys) who are ganging up on - in my case paying - users to tell them how dumb and annoying they are and to "submit a ticket" (as if that would help when an update was f**ked up again, usually confirmed by several other users) and trying to make them feel and look like it was all their fault.

I've never seen anything like this anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Schneckerl said:

to "submit a ticket" (as if that would help when an update was f**ked up again, usually confirmed by several other users)

Unfortunately Evernote has switched off its access to extra-sensory perception to avoid security issues,  so the only way it's going to know that it f**ked up is if someone deigns to tell it.  Whatever you think about Evernote Support it makes sense to contact them if you're a subscriber with a problem.  The more incoming tickets they get,  the more seriously they will understand the issue to be - therefore the quicker the unf**king happens.

• Like 4
  • Solution

I've got an answer right now to my support ticket. Here is the answer:

I sincerely apologize for the delay in releasing the fixed version of Evernote for Android and any inconvenience it may have caused. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

The update of 10.52 is now available. Simply open the Play Store on your Android device, search for "Evernote," and install the latest version. Please note that the update will be released gradually, so if you don't see it immediately, it will become available shortly. Our team is working diligently to make version 10.52 fully accessible to all users before July 19th, 2023.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have reinstalled 10.51.2 (130705) twice. I still get a red screen when I try to share anything into my Evernote.

• If there are settings that need to changes, which are they please? I have gone through the settings without finding anything that might be relevant.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, suiram said:

I have reinstalled 10.51.2 (130705) twice. I still get a red screen when I try to share anything into my Evernote.

• If there are settings that need to changes, which are they please? I have gone through the settings without finding anything that might be relevant.

Any help would be appreciated.

There are no settings that could fix this bug. The version 10.52 is necessary, coming soon to Google Play store as I have written tomorrow morning here

5 hours ago, BEHA said:

The version 10.52 is necessary, coming soon to Google Play store as I have written tomorrow morning here

It can take a few days to work its way to everyone on the Google Play store but I believe its on its way!

25 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Should appear on the PlayStore any time now.

10.52 for Android should be out as of yesterday but it can take a few days for Google Play to deliver it for everyone.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:59 PM, BEHA said:

There are no settings that could fix this bug. The version 10.52 is necessary, coming soon to Google Play store as I have written tomorrow morning here

Thanks!

Hi guys, is here anyone who already received 10.52 for Android? I did not even get it on the beta channel yet. Would be very thankful if anyone could upload the apk to apkmirror. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

So maybe they stopped 10.52 for Android for a reason.

From what I remember I think it would take until 17th to completely roll out. I've not had it yet myself. Not sure if its a Google Play thing but Android roll outs seem to take a few days.

• Like 2

Screenshot_2023-07-15-15-29-55-80_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.thumb.jpg.1f9a075b9a5be2e37158d03a04811081.jpgSame problem here on my Android. I've tried to install the last version but now I'm not even able to create a note! The Page remain blank and I'm not able to writer or modify anything! This is lasting since at least 2 months to me.So frustrated!

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, marcobgood said:

Same problem here on my Android

No,  it's not.  We're (mostly) talking about clipping not working - and there are work-arounds for that. 

You can't open the app - therefore I'd suggest uninstalling / powering your device off and on again / re-download and installing the app.  If that fails,  please start your own new thread with full details of your device,  plus Android and Evernote downloaded versions.

19 hours ago, marcobgood said:

Screenshot_2023-07-15-15-29-55-80_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.thumb.jpg.1f9a075b9a5be2e37158d03a04811081.jpgSame problem here on my Android. I've tried to install the last version but now I'm not even able to create a note! The Page remain blank and I'm not able to writer or modify anything! This is lasting since at least 2 months to me.So frustrated!

Yes, that relates to the same problem with the red screen issue.

I have this red screen when I try to clip images from phone's gallery OR clipping websites and in addition I can't open a note and I can't create a note and I can't edit an existing note.

Support said that they are aware of this issue and that this will be fixed with the next update.

Re-installing doesn't solve this issue!

If I want to clip something I send this to my Evernote email address, this works. Editing and creating notes works only at my Windows computer, not any Android device. So we have to wait for the announced update.

Currently I still don't have a new version in Google Play Store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, BEHA said:

Yes, that relates to the same problem with the red screen issue.

OK I sit corrected - didn't realise all of that was one package deal.  But for the record - I get red screens,  but I can still create, open and edit notes... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any idea when the next update is coming? I've been looking on google playstore every day and nothing yet. I am seriously thinking about ending my subscription. I've been using Evernote since 2012 and the bugs are getting to be too much. I've already started using Microsoft onenote  and I hate to think about migrating years of notes into another program. 

• Like 1

I have 10.52 now on my Android. Clipping works now (it didn't before - was red-screen + crash).

Clipping from the internal Gallery works fine now + is very fast.
Browser clipping is slow - a lot slower than I remember - but at least it works now.

• Thanks 1
On 7/8/2023 at 8:04 PM, Nick L. said:

We're confident this fix will be available in the next update, 10.52 available in a few weeks. 

A few weeks? How is this more than a few days work? What else do you have to do that is more important than this? Add a few more shines to the Splice UI?  

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, T Styer said:

Any idea when the next update is coming?

The roll out is due to complete by 17 July - today. So hopefully almost everyone will receive it today.

• Like 2

Am also getting the File Permissions Required notice when attempting to send an attachment to En on both of my Android devices.  Have submitted a ticket.  If they are ramping up the subscription fees so dramatically then they should plan on providing better service and product.  There are a lot of competitors out there.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

Just checked - I definitely updated to 10.52.1 on my Android,  but the Play store doesn't give any version details,  and (AFAICS) won't allow APK downloads to a non-Android device.  A quick search doesn't show the same version available anywhere except the Store.  I guess everyone is in a queue millions of downloads long and for the moment Google are in charge...

I've noticed that there's a new update out for Evernote on the Android/Play store. I was hoping it might solve the sharing issue I've been experiencing.

However, when I tried to open Evernote, all I got was a white screen. It's been a bit of a tough morning dealing with various challenges, and this has added to it.

I guess next steps is to uninstall the app, reinstall it, and see if that does the trick. But if the problems continue, I might have to take a little quiet time for myself, just so I can avoid saying anything out of frustration.

Uninstall > reinstall > sign in > to go gallery attempt a test share a snapshot > permission dialog box pops up requesting do you want to allow permission etc etc.. Of course.. Allow...

Seems to be OK.. Thank God .. At least that's one positive today ..

Peace

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

and (AFAICS) won't allow APK downloads to a non-Android device.

Still not available here in Canada.

I don't understand your comment about "non-Android device"?  We're all here b/c we have android devices.

Why is nobody talking about there being an EN official solution to downgrade until the problem is resolved????  A safe repository of past versions as APK files.  Is there something I'm missing about such an obvious solution to where there currently is..... NONE!

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

I don't understand your comment about "non-Android device"?  We're all here b/c we have android devices.

That was my incoherent way of explaining that it wasn't possible to download the APK file to (forinstance) a Windows PC and share it to others.  It would install on an Android,  but not allow a distribution of the APK file.

27 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Why is nobody talking about there being an EN official solution to downgrade until the problem is resolved????

Because Google runs the play store and decides what gets uploaded where.  If Evernote want to continue offering an Android app they have to play by Google's rules.

Plus I have no idea really how many Evernote Android users there are,  but imagine the internet traffic generated by a million people upgrading and downgrading their apps...  and then multiply it by a few tens of thousands (because if you downgrade you then have to upgrade again).  The Internet would not be a happy place for months...  

If you still have issues,  you still have work-arounds.  Some of us now have the update,  which (crosses fingers) seems to be the cure.  Have patiance and it will come to you.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

That was my incoherent way of explaining that it wasn't possible to download the APK file to (forinstance) a Windows PC and share it to others.  It would install on an Android,  but not allow a distribution of the APK file.

Maybe it's just a matter of people not understanding APKs (they're basically a full version of the app, like an EXE file is for an app on your PC).  Until a few years ago I didn't really understand them either, but after upgrading my phone & realizing that some of my favourite apps were no longer available on the Play store I learnt that by simply using an app called 'APK Installer' I could manage them myself.

So now when I get an app I like I 'backup' the APK using APK Installer & then save it on my PC in case I ever need it again.  It's been very handy on several occasions.   Never thought I'd have to do it with a paid corporate app like Evernote though, but I guess I'll have to start.  The downside of APKs is that unless you're getting it from a trustworthy source, there's a chance it could be unsafe.  That's why I don't understand why EN doesn't offer them for users experiencing problems (like us with this significant, prolonged issue) who need to step back a version until the fix is released in a newer version.  They do it for the Windows app, why not for Android?  And are you really worried about internet traffic or was that a joke?

Using this approach, if the 1st person who received the update saved & shared the APK with the rest of us we'd all be getting on with our happy little lives again instead of waiting for the Play store & responding to this thread!

BTW: I also do this with Windows apps, just in case they mess something up in an update (which of course none of us have ever experienced, right?).

• Thanks 2

Thank you Everyone. Updated just now. Able to "SHARE''

I've been with EN Pro since 2011, non pro 2010. Over 26k notes (can't see count now?) Uninstalling & Installing Freaks me out. Had horrid issues last year w/EN,  wanted them to send me a paycheck I felt I was doing So Much Work. Myeaah.

Do not see many Apps that do similar things.Have One Note on iPad, dislike immensely.

Can't APK's be dangerous if coming from unreliable source 🦠 ?

I appreciate ALL your info. So Much.

Learn A LOT.

Devices: Use almost solely          Galaxy 23 Ultra

+ Have iPad Pro non cellular (gifted) & 

Old iPad Air not updateable Cell + Wifi

Laptop needs replaced.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mia said:

Can't APK's be dangerous if coming from unreliable source

Most versions of Android will have a small nervous breakdown and throw an error at you if you don't use the Play store.  Side-loading APKs can be a risky business if you don't know what you're doing.  Google advise against installing anything they haven't carefully tested into the Play store - although their record on catching bad apps is not that good...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

And are you really worried about internet traffic or was that a joke?

Not traffic as such,  but how many simultaneous connections d'you think the uptodown site can handle at any given time?  The enthusiasm of millions of Evernote users on a good day might be indistinguishable from a DoS attack...

I downloaded from Google Play the latest EN. I wish they would have stated the version. They didn't. When relaunched, low and behold v10.52! Sharing from my phone restored.

As do many of you, I have come to rely on this app for a variety of things. Looking at my notes, recipes are the largest bunch. I haven't cooked most of them! Keeping important stuff that I can get to anywhere is what I depend on - TSA numbers, passports, plane and hotel reservations, what did it give for Christmas last year, serial numbers for appliances and electronics.. It's like having a separate brain that doesn't forget. 

I sincerely hope that EN comes clean and tells us what happened. Humility goes a long way. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ChristerWhitworth said:

I downloaded from Google Play the latest EN. I wish they would have stated the version. They didn't. When relaunched, low and behold v10.52! Sharing from my phone restored.

As do many of you, I have come to rely on this app for a variety of things. Looking at my notes, recipes are the largest bunch. I haven't cooked most of them! Keeping important stuff that I can get to anywhere is what I depend on - TSA numbers, passports, plane and hotel reservations, what did it give for Christmas last year, serial numbers for appliances and electronics.. It's like having a separate brain that doesn't forget. 

I sincerely hope that EN comes clean and tells us what happened. Humility goes a long way. 

The update restored the sharing feature but now the entire app crashes when opeing a note or moving around in the app. AARGH!

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, ChristerWhitworth said:

Hi.  What happened where?  What caused the red screens?  As opposed to the zillion other issues that folks are raising here?  I'd hope they're too busy fighting fires to spare the time...

24 minutes ago, T Styer said:

now the entire app crashes when opeing a note or moving around in the app. AARGH!

Not for many other people as yet - try uninstalling the app / powering the device off and on again / re-downloading and installing.  If you still have issues tell Support about it - they can't fix what they don't know about...

I received & installed the official update today also.  I then backed up the APK & saved it to my PC in my personal 'safe' repository of APKs to fall back on in case this ever happens again.  Again, why isn't this something they could have offered us?  Shame on me for ever trusting EN after how many times they've let me down since releasing v10.

50 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

I then backed up the APK & saved it to my PC

How have you backed up this APK and where is it from?
I don't see a way to save the installation "file" from Google  Play Store of recent update version.

3 minutes ago, BEHA said:

How have you backed up this APK and where is it from?

20 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

So now when I get an app I like I 'backup' the APK using APK Installer & then save it on my PC in case I ever need it again.

I used the free APK Installer app on my phone to backup the new version, then moved the APK file to my PC.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

Just for the record - stepping back to an older 'known' version even after an update causes problems is not the best idea.  Change made for the update may not be 'backwards' compatible to an older version.  Proceed (as they say) at your own risk...

And just to bang on about this again;  the red screens issue was an annoyance,  but there were easy work-arounds.  It was not the end of the world...

Sounds like you've been drinking too much green koolaid gazumped, let's not sugar-coat this: It was a significant problem that rendered EN on Android useless for over a month until each person who experienced it had time to research & hopefully find the 'workarounds' suggested here, then implement them.

Temporarily rolling back a version may have it's drawbacks, but it allows users to remain users, and they do it for the Windows version.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

until each person who experienced it had time to research & hopefully find the 'workarounds' suggested here

Took me about 5 minutes to think "Huh - that doesn't usually happen" then try a couple of options and apply my own work-around,  which affects my view of this being 'significant' - and it didn't stop me using the Android app,  just meant I adjusted the way I used it.  Still,  everyone to their own opinion.  (Forinstance I hate koolaid...)  ;)

Just got the latest update 10.52.1 and I can confirm, that clipping websites from Android Firefox browser works again as well as clipping JPGs from my phone's gallery. Opening and editing existing notes works again as well as creating new notes. So far it seems to work again on Android 13.

The clipping works finally again for me after the update came available today. But now I've a new problem: the app even doesn't start anymore : 

I did report it at support.

On 7/16/2023 at 8:02 AM, gazumped said:

OK I sit corrected - didn't realise all of that was one package deal.  But for the record - I get red screens,  but I can still create, open and edit notes... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have not commented here, but this is a really bad take. "Works on my machine" is not an answer to any technical question about a bug in software, There are many variables that make a piece of software work on different machines, but in this thread, it seems you are in the minority. 

As a software dev, "works on my machine" does not cut it when answering a technical question (this is why Docker was created, to cut down on different machine configs that make installations of tools impossible). You are flippant and ignoring the fact that other people do have this problem, regardless of whether you do or not. It's not, and never is, helpful.

• Level 5

We accept that there may be a problem for one user - and another can‘t reproduce it. This information is valuable, because it can point to a specific additional factor. 

Either a clean uninstall / reinstall can solve the issue, or there may be 2 different issues that meet on one users device.

Ah, and we don’t play personal blame games here (see forum code of conduct).