[Feature Released in Version 10.11.5] Restore Audio Recording and Playback

BarrySF

Idea

Was the Evernote Audio Recording feature deleted from the new Mac evernote app?   I've looked all over help, google search and asked my contacts.   I can't find an answer.

It's a key part of our research workflow.

Thanks for any feedback

• Like 5

52 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi All,

We're happy to announce that audio recording and playback has been added to our desktop clients.

You can learn more here:

If you have a new/different request, or are experiencing an issue, please start a new thread.

Thank you!

On 10/13/2020 at 1:05 AM, BarrySF said:

Was the Evernote Audio Recording feature deleted from the new Mac evernote app?   I've looked all over help, google search and asked my contacts.   I can't find an answer.

Thanks for any feedback

Not only has it gone but Evernote are touting it as a feature that they are going to add on the App Store, as if it wasn’t already there before the (upgrade) hows that for adding insult to injury. At least this is one feature that sound like it’s coming back some time, there are many more crucial for my workflow that I’m sure will not. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
On 10/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, MrIllustrator said:

Not only has it gone but Evernote are touting it as a feature that they are going to add on the App Store, as if it wasn’t already there before the (upgrade) hows that for adding insult to injury. At least this is one feature that sound like it’s coming back some time, there are many more crucial for my workflow that I’m sure will not. 

I can't find it either! This is a critical feature!

• Like 1

From their support “We recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired. You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.”. Again, I downloaded the Mac version and I’m back in business. I will not upgrade again until this feature is added back. 

• Like 1

To Evernote Dev Team - most of us have been loyal EN members for years and without this basic feature we would have to look for other options.  I would hate to move to another service but we may have no choice!   Please let us know when this is up and ready.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

On iOS and Apple Watch I use the app „Just Press Record“. What is nice: It has an automatic transcription, and it allows to keep the audio file and the transcription, in case you later need to go back to the audio as well.

It is a few more clicks than the integrated audio recorder, but the very good transcription with few need for editing makes up for the inconvenience.

• Like 2
On 10/12/2020 at 8:05 PM, BarrySF said:

Thanks for any feedback

• Like 2
On 10/15/2020 at 2:02 PM, Millicent said:

I can't find it either! This is a critical feature!

ugh...... this is horrible news.  I pay for the premium account because it has this feature. Critical to my workflow.  Now I need to figure out how to download all my hundreds of notes and import them elsewhere.  I can't use this platform without it.  So so so disappointing. 

• Like 1
On 10/22/2020 at 4:30 AM, MatzeA said:

Where can i download an older version of Evernote including the audio recording function? The current updated app is unusable to me without this function. 

Yes, same here. If someone can help us find the old version with this feature, that would be great. 

• Like 1
On 10/12/2020 at 8:05 PM, BarrySF said:

Thanks for any feedback

Found it. On my Ipad, while in a note, click the new note drop down and you will see the recording option. Just did it today. I had given up on finding this.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, ProgVox! said:

Where is the microphone that used to be up on the editor?

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion   
Audio recording is not yet available with the Version 10 product

I've gone back and forth with support regarding the audio recording feature missing from the new Evernote version and they have NOT commit to that feature EVER being added back to the app! It is up to us to demand it, so keep the comments coming! 

As for downgrading to a previous version, I see someone already posted the link, but good luck getting it to work once you've installed the new version. I cannot. It simply opens into the main interface screen and hangs (freezes).

Evernote, next time you may want to poll your customers to find out whether or not removing a feature is a good or bad idea. For that matter, I would think you'd have internal analytics telling you how many users are engaged with which features. If more than even 5% of your users are using a feature that should tell you it is NOT a good idea to simply remove it. You're saying to your customer that you simply don't care about their needs.

Evernote support sent me a link to downgrade the desktop app. I did so and it works. I am soooo happy to have that feature back. It was a deal breaker. I’ve been told they plan to add that feature back but do not have a time frame. Try again. 

• Level 5

Probably it will come to v10 with a future release. The iOS app has audio, and the new watch app is announced, that will rely heavily on audio input. Since the new apps share a lot of code, I think it will be found on the desktops soon as well.

Personally I run legacy and v10 in parallel on my MacBook Pro, so far without problems.

I used voice recordings extensively as part of my doctoral studies. Thankfully the actual research data was kept securely in a different app, but my own voice memos during the process are in evernote "for convenience". 

I had to take a break from my research due to bereavement and when I came back, I find that if I want to listen to the recordings I have to download them and listen to them in the Music App, where they are most unwelcome addition to my library. Sure, I can download them and open them in another app but it's frustrating. I used to be able to play the audio files and comment on them right in the app, right in the same note. What kind of application takes away functionality this valuable without consulting its users?

This kind of thing that makes me feel less like a valued customer and more like a hostage.

• Level 5

At least as Premium user you pay your ransom ...

As posted above, I use JustPressRecord for the time being. This because beside the audio capability, with v10 the Apple Watch App simply disappeared when I installed. As well without warning.

In one of the last release notes, EN announced audio recording will return with one of the next releases. And they are working on the watch app (which plainly makes no sense at all without audio).

• Like 1

I seriously don't understand how they can release a new version that removes a feature and say it will be added back soon. Just hold back the update until all old features that people have been using are available.

I can also not create any templates anymore... what's wrong with the EN devs, seriously angry right now!

//EDIT: I never had to write something here since I'm using evernote (and thats quite some years) and this new version now made me do this... bad work EN!

I've started moving the audio files into OneNote. I have a free account through my university.The audio player is better than the old one in Evernote and has better functionality in general. 

I'm a premium subscriber because for over decade I've lumped everything into EN and I tell myself it'll be a massive chore to move it all. I'm starting to think it might not be so bad and I wouldn't miss 95% of it if I never saw it again anyways. 

Pretty fed up just now. Hope the new improved audio functionality matches OneNote's. 

PLEASE BRING BACK PLAYBACK OF AUDIO FILES

Christ on a bike, I just updated Mac desktop version and I have to add voice memos to iTunes to hear them???? I record a lot of music ideas and use it to collate ideas and notes/lyrics. This works perfectly still on the iPhone version, but seriously? Why have they removed basic playback for desktop?? Used this since 2011, plus member. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like so many here I have been a paying customer for years and rely on audio recording.  It's removal is scandalous, unethical and quite possibly illegal.

I note that this discussion has been running for two months without an explanation apology or promise to restore from Evernote themselves!

Some Evernote employees can receive messages via LinkedIn I suggest we share our concerns direct as this forum doesn't appear to be listened to.

• Like 1

A friendly Christmas Day reminder to bring back playback function for Mac. 

Can anyone offer any ideas to why even removed this? Seems bizarre I have to to go back to my phone to play back the exact same note a track was recorded within. 

• Level 5

Why they did remove this or that ? Nobody knows, just somebody decided to launch v10 on us without a ton of this or that. 

Audio is one of these, yes please, and when ready, build an Apple Watch client around it. This was removed together with audio as well, and on the watch there is not much that will do without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out!

This is a feature we're working to restore, and it will be coming soon.

I'll provide an update here once I have more information.

Seriously???  We put that feature in 10 years ago and tens of millions of people have been using it for a decade, and you just deleted it on purpose and now you are trying to restore it??  What are you guys doing to our beloved Evernote?  On what planet is that okay?  What next, take away the ability to put photos into notes?

Rich Warwick, ex-Evernoter

• Thanks 3

I'm a paying customer and I pay because Evernote is the only tool I'm aware of that keeps audio and notes inline in a notebook where I can record in and listen back to audio IN THE APP. 

When you restore this feature PLEASE find a way to encode the audio recordings made with the OSX desktop app at a higher quality. 14kb/s bitstream rate encoded in the massively inefficient .WAV format does not cut it. It's 2021 and we live in the world of instant on-demand high quality streaming and have been for several years now.

14 hours ago, CCav said:

Hi,

Has the audio recording feature been re-integrated? I still can't find it and this is a critical feature.

Thanks

There was a new Mac release today and audio recording/ playback is allegedly still coming “soon”. Lack of audio playback is keeping me off v10 so hopefully it will only be a few more releases until it’s back.

5 hours ago, Lemini said:

There was a new Mac release today and audio recording/ playback is allegedly still coming “soon”. Lack of audio playback is keeping me off v10 so hopefully it will only be a few more releases until it’s back.

I think it's been "coming soon" since around October, so my definition of "soon" doesn't seem to match Evernote's. That said, all will be forgiven if they release the feature with substantial (and fairly obvious) improvements, such as auto-transcription of recordings. Keeping my fingers crossed for that.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out!

This is a feature we're working to restore, and it will be coming soon.

I'll provide an update here once I have more information.

Ok, what's the update please Evernote? This is a major pain in my backside - as a paid subscriber, to have functionality that is so core to what I do...removed without warning, is a serious neglect of your SLA. Can you please give me a timeframe on when audio recording is going to be restored ASAP otherwise I'm going to need to move everything to another tool ASAP.

• Like 1

Wow. This functionality is so precious. I really need this. I was in a meeting, want to record and ... well ... no more possibility. I don't understand why we got so many possibilities and now they are gone. When I think "product update" it's for more functionality, not less.

I'm a paid user since the beginning of evernote but I'm really searching for something else to do the job. I've told everyone since many years to use evernote but I can't do this now. :'( I always wanted to be positive but .. guys .. recording an audio file ins't as hard as a trip to mars. 

On 3/4/2021 at 11:37 AM, PinkElephant said:

thank you for posting this but I'm curious -- does restoring the older version after we've been using the newer version awhile  impact other functions or syncing in any way?  Will notes/notebooks I've created using the new version be preserved and migrated over?  Thanks so much.

Wow... another feature, GONE. I've been trying to get EN developer's attention on TABS - we're met with silence.

Same thing here. Hard to believe that this is so difficult. EN now is a place to store sound files, but not to play them; or add recordings on the fly.

Thanks PinkElephant for the suggestion to return to the old version; but there are things I've come to rely on in the new... and new routines. UGH.

• Like 1

The Problem:  We can no longer play an audio file within Evernote.  Now we have to Download or "Open" it, which then copies the file into our Music Library.  That is a HUGE problem.  I do not want these files in my Music Library or anywhere else on my computer.  That's why I have them stored somewhere else, in Evernote!

If you force us to duplicate an audio file just in order to listen to it, that defeats the purpose of storing audio files in Evernote.

PLEASE - PUT BACK THE BASIC AUDIO PLAYER!!!!!!  🙏🙏🙏

* Are you able to update me regarding this request?  If so, I would appreciate that very much.  (I mean a specific update, like, "we see the issue and plan to have the audio player restored by June" or something like that.  Not just, "Thank you for your feedback".  That doesn't help the situation.  (It actually kind of makes things more frustrating.)

Thank you for looking into this.

Please help.  Please.

Really a shame they took this recording away, same for most of the filtering with "tags", don't know anymore if I see EN as my future action list app anymore.

And don't see much evolution in the app upgrades... Went back to legacy one, but evaluating other meanwhile other tools to migrate to

• Level 5

Audio is still on the „to be released soon“ list that came with the v10.10 release today.

It is already working on the iOS client, and you can install legacy on the Mac to get it back there until v10 will have gained this feature one day.