Evernote for Family

Guyp

Idea

48 replies to this idea

So the Plus version is 34.99 per year, Premium is 69.99, maybe Family could be 99.99 for up to 5 users. Business is 12 per user per month so for 5 people that would be 720 per year. But Family version wouldn't need all the Business features like separate personal/business tabs and Single Sign-On. Or you could even have two Family versions - Family Plus and Family Premium, each wilth the same features as Plus and Premium but with a 5-user allowance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, Guyp said:

We have Evernote for business. How about an addition for Family?  I would dearly like to share notes etc with my family. And would happy pay for a family plan where we could share the upload limits between us.  But it needs to be cheaper than the business plan... That too much for a family to pay out.

Maybe have family plan starting at 4 members but being able to add extended family members or increasing monthly bandwidth for uploads..

Great idea.

Failing this, you might have your family members create free accounts, and make use of shared notebooks.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
On April 22, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Guyp said:

We have Evernote for business. How about an addition for Family?

I've moved this discussion to a feedback forum so it can be better addressed as a request

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons in the discussions upper left cornerScreen Shot 2016-07-14 at 8.25.26 AM.png

• Like 2
On 22/4/2016 at 11:25 PM, Guyp said:

We have Evernote for business. How about an addition for Family?  I would dearly like to share notes etc with my family. And would happy pay for a family plan where we could share the upload limits between us.  But it needs to be cheaper than the business plan... That too much for a family to pay out.

Maybe have family plan starting at 4 members but being able to add extended family members or increasing monthly bandwidth for uploads..

Your idea is fantastic, I would be happy to sign a Family subscription. By now everyone has a floor dedicated to the family (1Password, Netflix, Apple, etc.) why not do it to Evernote?

My wife and I would be happy.

Andrea

• Like 5

bumping this up. As currently starting up family, I see lack of family plan a huge issue for me from Evernote side. Considering even using OneNote as office already includes 5 users. (even though OneNote blaaah)

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, StepanD said:

There could be a section "Family" as similar to "notebooks or shared now" that can be managed in the family.

Shared notebooks are a good solution

The upload limit applies to the owner of the notebook, not to the sharee
The owner can be a paid account; the sharee can be a non-paying Basic account

• Like 2
On 23 April 2016 at 9:25 PM, DTLow said:

Great idea.

Failing this, you might have your family members create free accounts, and make use of shared notebooks.

Yes that's a solution  however I see the family quickly exceeding the free limits and then making me buy accounts.. 4 premium accounts. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

As mentioned above, use of separate accounts with notebook sharing should work fine. Any of the accounts may be a paid account, so you can control costs on your own. I don't see a huge need for Evernote to provide a separate family plan. It's extra cost to Evernote to create and administer new plan types, and for what gain?

But just to explore it further, a question: what would the proposed family plan have that the approach that uses separate accounts w/shared notebooks lacks? The only downside I can think of is the fact that you cannot create tags in someone else's account. And maybe the device limit on free accounts.

Hello Jefito

as usually some workaround work. It is question of how easy/expensive it is. I do not know if you have a family or face the same issue but imagine this for family of 4:

1. costs: evernote for 4 people can cost from 60eur-240eur depending how much of the premium/plus features you want to use. I assume the basic is not enough and in that case the costs goes to en average of 150eur for household. (as comparison MS office = 70eur for individual and 100eur family of 5). I hope you see the disrepency. (and that is for suite of programs)

2. There could be a section "Family" as similar to "notebooks or shared now" that can be managed in the family. Issue now with sharing is that shared has to be managed, so if I create a new notebook i have to remember to share it. If other in the family create a notebook, again they have to remember to share it. Also would be nice if someone from the family could keep the organization of the "family notebook" for other that do not want to spend much time organizing their references.

3. shared bandwidth. No need for 4x1gb-10gb per month uploads

I bet there are more reasons to think about nicely done Family features and pricing.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, StepanD said:

as usually some workaround work. It is question of how easy/expensive it is. I do not know if you have a family or face the same issue but imagine this for family of 4:

My scenario isn't a family, but I use two accounts, one for personal use, and one for my work, with shared notebooks between the two accounts; my personal account is Premium, the work account is Basic. This works well for me.

1. costs: evernote for 4 people can cost from 60eur-240eur depending how much of the premium/plus features you want to use. I assume the basic is not enough and in that case the costs goes to en average of 150eur for household. (as comparison MS office = 70eur for individual and 100eur family of 5). I hope you see the disrepency. (and that is for suite of programs)

I don't care about Microsoft products -- it's a false comparison: they don't do the same thing (the new word for that these days is "whataboutism"). If MS's suite did what you wanted, then we wouldn't be having this discussion; you'd just be using them. With shared accounts, you control the costs for your family. Your assumption is that everyone needs a paid account, but that's not a necessity. Of course, if you're paying out extra bucks for all of Junior's extra devices, then a Plus account shouldn't be much of an additional added cost.

2. There could be a section "Family" as similar to "notebooks or shared now" that can be managed in the family. Issue now with sharing is that shared has to be managed, so if I create a new notebook i have to remember to share it. If other in the family create a notebook, again they have to remember to share it. Also would be nice if someone from the family could keep the organization of the "family notebook" for other that do not want to spend much time organizing their references.

I'd call this a "nice-to-have", at best. In my usage, notebook creation is a very rare occurrence, so managing sharing is not a huge deal to me. Too many notebooks in Evernote, in my philosophy, means "you're doing it wrong" (I almost never create a new notebook unless one is absolutely required; I have ~25 across two accounts, and I'd have fewer if I weren't so lazy about combining notebooks that really should be together.). I'd guess that the actual need for sharing would be pretty rare: how many notebooks do you really need for your family? Granted, I'd be swapping tag management for notebook management, which is a bit of a different issue. In any case, why wouldn't a single "Family" notebook suffice? Much easier to manage, and shared reminders would fit in there nicely. Ok, maybe you want a shared notebook with your spouse, private from the kids; but that's a separate sharing arrangement than the one you use for everyone.  And maybe a notebook shared between the parents and each child separately (so little Timmy has a separate one from little Sally). You still need to manage sharing...

3. shared bandwidth. No need for 4x1gb-10gb per month uploads

I don't see any problem here. You're going to be uploading as much with any family account as with any shared account scenario. Uploads are uploads (new content + updates to edited notes), not storage. Bandwidth is the same either way: you use zero extra bandwidth due to sharing notebooks.

*shrug* Not really seeing it, nor am I seeing much of a compelling reason for Evernote to offer such a product ;it costs time and money for them to develop new UI, training, support for such things. But good luck.

I don't agree with the need for this. My family all have Evernote where I am the only (self-proclaimed) power user. I am a premium user while my family are all basic users. I share notebooks and notes with them as appropriate. The way I have my notebooks setup, I share family-related notebooks with my wife and specific notes with others. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, macneilpi said:

>>The way I have my notebooks setup, I share family-related notebooks with my wife and specific notes with others.

One nice feature of shared notebooks is uploads are charged to the allowance of the notebook owner (your premium account); you're sharing your upload limit with the family

• Like 2
15 hours ago, DTLow said:

One nice feature of shared notebooks is uploads are charged to the allowance of the notebook owner (your premium account); you're sharing your upload limit with the family

It is worth pointing out that this is the opposite of what e.g. Dropbox does, where everyone needs to have enough space to store the shared stuff.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Vincent Noel said:

It is worth pointing out that this is the opposite of what e.g. Dropbox does, where everyone needs to have enough space to store the shared stuff.

It's also worth pointing out that storage space is less often the issue with Evernote than are its monthly upload quota limits. User storage limits in Evernote in Evernote are governed by the note limit (100,000 per user) and the note size limit (25MB Basic, 50MB Plus, 200MB Premium), so even a Basic level user has a pretty high upper limit (2.5 terabytes by my calculation, before my morning coffee, mind). Once you get content into Evernote, everyone can use it. But if you have someone in your group who needs to upload a lot of stuff to Evernote in a short amount of time, then you may hit the upload quota limits (60MB Basic, 1GB Plus, 10GB Premium). Even so, you can  upgrade them to Plus or Premium temporarily and then drop back them down later on.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, FredG said:

so when does it come ?

There's no indication Evernote is interested in "Family" pricing.
The Basic account continues to be free.  
- I have a  premium account; basic accounts for the rest of the family.
- All primary notebooks are owned by the premium account and shared to the others.

A family plan would make Evernote more acceptable within my family. Within basic, my family members are always annoyed by notifications for upgrading. Not to mention regular e-mails on upgrading by Evernote and limited access with 60 MB upload. This divides Evernote from the user experience of other free plans e.g. with Microsoft or Google and leads to rejection with my family members to use Evernote together. I would love to get a family plan and share all functionality throughout the family members and being able to "save" parents, sister or my own children from popping advertising. Evernote would be a much greater tool than Google Keep or OneNote that way, what otherwise is preferred until now....

Gave it a +1

29 minutes ago, Alxa said:

A family plan would make Evernote more acceptable within my family.

Same with me. I would appreciate a family plan as well. Have to kids and a wife who I would like to use EN systematically and deeply. Limitated with basic they seem to have no reason to try it out deeper...

Please Consider a Family Plan. I have been a member sine 2008. Customers have been asking for a Family Membership for as long as I remember.

Help us help you by giving us the services your Customers are asking for. Don't leave money one the table.

Neal

On 2/4/2018 at 8:20 PM, DTLow said:

I want to add that unfortunately this nice feature does not apply on single notes in regard of note size. That means I have several notes my family members cannot add content to because of their note size limit of 25 MB per note - although the note itself is located in my (premium plan) shared notebook and not reaching 200 MB limit. For me this is not logical but FAQ say that this is intentional. That is the reason I would pretty appreciate a family plan.

• Level 5

No …

The usual family setup is one or two Personal / Professional accounts, plus a couple of Free ones.

There is a special offer for Teams / Business for a minimum of 5 people (mainly for students). If there is enough „family“, this might be an option. Not cheap, even with a rebate, but full metal jacket, as far as EN is concerned.

Yeah, still interest for this. It would be the thing that pushes a lot of people over the edge on an upgrade, you can say "get one premium and everyone else use free" but that misses a very real concern we've hit: The premium account can access content offline, the rest of the family cannot. And a premium membership for everyone is absurdly expensive. However, a slightly more expensive family plan that's between the two would be spectacular, I think you seriously underestimate how many active users would just bump up to family for convenience. Money on the table, everyone is begging you to take it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oh yes, x-Mas time is family time. Sure it would be nice to have all family members united, in person and in one shared EN space, snuggly helped by THE COMPANY through massively rebating the individual accounts in that family package.

Nothing against this idea - I just doubt it will happen. To me it seems a pretty clear decision EN does not and did (AFAIK) not offer anything like this in the past. It is probably not attractive for additional sales to go down this road. Because it would be not much more income than for an individual Personal account, but for sure more server and data load.

So I doubt we will see it. But sure, would be nice.

• Evernote Expert

I, too, see no future for this idea. There's been no traction in five years. Perhaps EN staff haven't seen this thread. If you haven't done so submit the idea via the feedback option in the applications. Perhaps that will give some prompt in the New Year and bring the idea alive.

Me too, would be an opportunity for EN to attract the next generation users. But looking on the development the innovation in functionality seems to shift / concentrate on business users. Instead of focussing on stability and a modern sync as first priority, they integrate calender / team functionality. With the restrictions on basic plan none of my family members is even willing to keep the app, after a few of their nag screens. A personal plan for every single family member is over the top in pricing considering the market. For a family use case Evernote surely is not the right product to go for, sadly 😔

When you consider the alternatives and how long Evernote has been in the market providing a very stable product, I vote for the Evernote team to dive in and meet the need for Family Sharing. Maybe a family gets five family accounts for $99 a year, something like that would totally be worth it to me.

EN Family Subscription is something I'd pay for too. In the absence of Evernote providing this Family plan, I would alternatively go to alternative competition services like Google One or OneNote.

I've Upvoted this feature request. Sad to see that this feature request has only 136 votes since Apr 2016 though. If you would like this feature in future, please upvote this in the top left corner of this thread.