How are you using Spaces?

Leo Gong

Spaces  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What are you using your Space(s) for?

• I work on my drafts / private docs here until they're ready to be shared
    • I put reference documents in a Space so they're easier to find later
    • I use Spaces for Projects / Clients / Vendors so that I can collaborate and evolve content in one place
    • Other?
  2. 2. How much would you envision sharing your Spaces?

• I don't see myself sharing any
    • I see myself sharing some
    • I see myself sharing all of them
  3. 3. Are Spaces valuable enough to be a reason to pay for Evernote Business?

• Yes
    • No

Idea

62 replies to this idea

On 4/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, Kitezh47 said:

Is there any timeframe for Spaces being added to Evernote Personal?
Frankly, I can't wait to forgo Stacks for Spaces.

It's being worked on but I can't provide a specific time at this moment. And that's great to hear re: Stacks for Spaces. Could you explain why you feel that way?

17 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Evernote spaces is missing :

1- real time collaboration and tracking (history or timeline) 

2- commenting (within) and note specific chat 

3- todo, reminder and collection bringing everything together

For small business and my team, Evernote business is lacking ALOT of features even with the new addition of Spaces. Evernote team needs to be more intune with customer base and add a lot more features to make it worth getting my whole team to use and invest in. Comparing to other collaboration apps, asana, Dropbox paper, Evernote spaces is behind the collaboration Space. 

We're working on it! Thanks for the feedback. Spaces are just the beginning. :) 

1 hour ago, Leo Gong said:

@Sayre Ambrosio this is not a known issue. Thanks for reporting. Is your iphone/ipad online? Could you share a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Everything shows up like it should on the Mac app and in the browser. It's just the iOS devices that don't have it showing up like it should. All iOS devices are cellular and wifi capable. Always connected. I'll attach the iOS screenshot in a new comment. Attachment won't load due to size.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 2.51.46 PM.png

Just now, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Everything shows up like it should on the Mac app and in the browser. It's just the iOS devices that don't have it showing up like it should. All iOS devices are cellular and wifi capable. Always connected. I'll attach the iOS screenshot in a new comment. Attachment won't load due to size.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 2.51.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 2.56.59 PM.png

Looks like this isn't going to be an easy one. ;) I'll raise this with support and get you sorted. Sorry you can't use them on mobile. I love that you're finding them useful though! Penny for your thoughts on what you like / don't like / would like to see while we're looking into mobile for you?

1 hour ago, Leo Gong said:

Looks like this isn't going to be an easy one. ;) I'll raise this with support and get you sorted. Sorry you can't use them on mobile. I love that you're finding them useful though! Penny for your thoughts on what you like / don't like / would like to see while we're looking into mobile for you?

I really don't have anything different than what others have already suggested. My wishlist is more geared towards the general application with things like better inking features, two people being able to edit at the same time, and embedded video.

@Leo Gong
On an unrelated note, are the features for efficiently managing long notes going to be added?

I mean note sections and creating a Wikipedia-style in-note table of contents, each item of which links to a specific note section.

That would be ideal for stream-of-consciousness notes.
I'd like to put my (sometimes fragmentary) ideas on some topic into the respective note section.

I don't really get how it is different than what it was before except now you have another place to put notes and notebooks and making it more complicated for the novice user.  The new Spaces just seems to act like a notebook stack. The only benefit I see is that you can see more recent notes or marked important.  I am not sure why that couldn't be done in the original business workspace.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, JEFFREY @ HAEGER said:

I don't really get how it is different than what it was before except now you have another place to put notes and notebooks and making it more complicated for the novice user.   The new Spaces just seems to act like a notebook stack. The only benefit I see is that you can see more recent notes or marked important.  I am not sure why that couldn't be done in the original business workspace.

The novice user doesn't need to use Spaces, if they're confusing, but Spaces, if they evolve as implied, should be a lot more powerful than stacks (which can't contain anything but notebooks, and which can't be shared). From my viewpoint as a personal edition user (where Spaces are slated to arrive sometime), I can definitely see how Spaces would benefit some of my my workflow. Stacks are useful to some degree, but overall are a pretty halfhearted feature, and have been since they arrived.

17 minutes ago, jefito said:

The novice user doesn't need to use Spaces, if they're confusing, but Spaces, if they evolve as implied, should be a lot more powerful than stacks (which can't contain anything but notebooks, and which can't be shared). From my viewpoint as a personal edition user (where Spaces are slated to arrive sometime), I can definitely see how Spaces would benefit some of my my workflow. Stacks are useful to some degree, but overall are a pretty halfhearted feature, and have been since they arrived.

I agree that Spaces isn't really relevant for the novice user. As someone who has used Evernote for years and uses it for my sons education, Spaces is a huge deal at least for me.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I agree that Spaces isn't really relevant for the novice user.

I'd say that that depends. If you can button up a  a collection of notebooks and/or notes into a Space and hand it off via sharing to a novice user, that might actually be helpful to them: everything they need is in one place. (Note that I say this without ever having seen Spaces in action for myself...)

On 09.01.2018 at 09:24, Leo Gong said:

Please let us know if you have feedback for Spaces here - we'd love to iterate on Spaces with your help!

@Leo Gong
Is there any timeframe for Spaces being added to Evernote Personal?
Frankly, I can't wait to forgo Stacks for Spaces.

For small business and my team, Evernote business is lacking ALOT of features even with the new addition of Spaces. Evernote team needs to be more intune with customer base and add a lot more features to make it worth getting my whole team to use and invest in. Comparing to other collaboration apps, asana, Dropbox paper, Evernote spaces is behind the collaboration Space. 

6 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Commenting and note specific chat would be a very nice addition. A way to comment and send a notification to a certain individual, but not to the whole team. That way one does not get too many notifications to wade through, but any one with access to the note can read it when they need to follow the conversation later. But as work chat is now, the comment you send through work chat does not get added to the note it is referring to.

As far as real time collaboration and tracking, not sure if this is what you mean, but I would find it very useful if it would say who said it and when it was said. I'm guessing Evernote knows that, but I'd like the option to have date and initials show right by the text that was added.

On 1/8/2018 at 7:24 PM, Leo Gong said:

Please let us know if you have feedback for Spaces here - we'd love to iterate on Spaces with your help!

On the iPhone and iPad version when I click on Dashboard there is nothing populated even though I have pinned notes and recently added notes in a space. Is this a known issue or a bug?

On 2018-04-15 at 11:52 PM, OMNIZEN said:

Yeah, I just fiddled with Evernote Business for a few hours and I don't think I can recommend it (just yet) precisely because there is no way to keep track of who adds what to a note. 

For example, as a beta tester, I might create a note for a bug I found in the software, which includes a summary, steps to reproduce, and screenshots.  I put it Spaces.  The programmer reads it then writes his own notes in the same note.  But when I then open the note, there is no indicator of what was added and by whom (except for a notice that <name> updated the note up at the top of the screen). I need to know *what was added* within the note and when.

If I had to set down rules like "add the date and your name and put horizontal lines above and below your notations" they would look at me like I'd lost my mind.  Of course they could just create a new note, but there's no easy way to link them.  At least in email  you get the entire history of the note every time someone replies.

Also, a decent "chat" note that could be accessed by right-clicking on any user in the space is essential for me to sell this to the bosses (I mean one long infinite note like what Skype gives you, where you always see the history).

I have posted my perception of the new Spaces. Working in two businesses, I find that Evernote spaces doesn’t have a good enough feature set right now to meet the demands of real business and collaboration. As much as I don’t like adding more tools, Dropbox has all the note taking features we need, activity, document and comment tracking, todo list integration (being able to see all todos across notes in one place). 

More about my initial reactions to Spaces. 

On 1/8/2018 at 6:24 PM, Leo Gong said:

It would be much better for me if I could stack notebooks in a space

On 23.02.2018 at 10:12, Leo Gong said:

I could answer questions about Spaces all day. Love the curiosity @jefito :) 

• Notes in a space live in a space, not a notebook. The latter of what you were guessing
  • Yes, because stacks aren't "real", they're kind of a parallel construct. Again, they're in a bit of a weird spot in the system today, but we couldn't really just tear them out / convert them to spaces because a) people use them and it would be rude to just remove them to put it lightly, and B. if we converted stacks to Spaces, that wouldn't work - because what if a notebook in a stack lived in your stack and my stack? Whose Space would it go into? Probably more than you asked for but... 
  • Not yet
  • Not yet
  • Not yet
  • Hmm not sure what you mean. You can pin reminder notes, but they're not pinned automatically.

It's helpful for me to understand what's more important to you - which of the not yets would you really really need/want? And why?

I would really appreciate it if spaces could contain other spaces. 

That would finally solve the structural organization problem that Evernote has had for over a decade.

Some thoughts about Spaces:

I would like to create a reference folder where notes and notebooks can be assembled because they share a related subject matter. I realize that is the idea behind spaces, but as implemented now in Evernote, it is not really very useful (to me, at least). I would like to be able to drag-and-drop notes quickly from within my notebooks to create a space. Now I am poking around in menus searching for the right link. I would like to be able to drag a note directly into the "Pinned" box and control how it appears. The new little "title in a box" display might be OK sometimes, but a note preview would work better other times. Especially if the note is an image or PDF.  The model you seem to be imagining is that a supervisor will create a Space for his/her subordinates and after a painstaking process of menuing around and double checking it will be pushed out to the minions. Better would be something called "Palettes" (just an idea) where anyone can quickly drag a drop a flexible collection of Notes and Notebooks and move them around to create a palette of information (get it?) to solve a problem. Less like Microsoft and more like Slack. Right?

The process for deleting spaces is awkward and dangerous. If you delete a note from a Space, it is deleted from the notebook it originated from. What?! I was just testing Spaces and now you deleted my note? And to delete a space I have to go out the web and dink around in a whole new set of menus? How about "Build" and "Un-Build" a collection? "Curate" and "Disassemble" I dunno. I don't think you folks are thinking very clearly about this whole Spaces project. Maybe try to get beyond the "marketing campaign" model in your examples. There are plenty of existing tools to organize that kind of work. Be bolder. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tlipfert said:

I would like to create a reference folder where notes and notebooks can be assembled because they share a related subject matter.

I find that notes often relate to multiple subject matters.

I assign tags to identify the subject matter.

Yes, DTLow -- for sure.  My experience of needing to share notes into multiple notebooks is similar.

Here is a use-case of how I would *love* to use Spaces:

I am a department head at a university.

A donor will offer to establish a scholarship for students. They will send me a document with the criteria they want to support. 

1) I would like to establish a Space for faculty to review the criteria and make comments that the donor cannot see. I would drag and drop documents describing other scholarships into a Space so faculty get a complete picture. 

2) Later I might establish another Space for students with a "Read Me" pinned to the top with information about how to apply. There could be other opportunities included in this Space, like on-campus jobs. The faculty and original donor don't need to see the job listings. 

3) In a perfect world, the student could then make their own Space of all the applications they planned to submit, along with their portfolio and essay, etc. Some of those opportunities would be from outside the University, so I would not need or want to know about them. 

In this case, the key concept would be "drag and drop curating."  For example: Ten things have been shared with me. I am going to hide  5 of them. I am going to add my own Read Me and pin it to the top. No other user need have the same document pinned, or even have access to this particular note. I then share my curated space with my colleague. They unhide 1 of my hidden notes because it is relevant to them (but not to me)  and pin that to the top of their Space. 

The relationship is more like between colleagues, not boss and workers. 

Just a thought. 

On 2/23/2018 at 3:56 AM, jefito said:

Hi Leo -- I appreciate the response.

So, the 'not yets':

• So if spaces can (some time in the future) can contain other spaces, then maybe that will go a long way to assuage the "we need nested notebooks/stacks folks". It's not something I have a need for, personally, but there's a lot of call for hierarchy,
  • Inclusion of spaces in search: search in Evernote is paramount, and having the search language be able to find things in whatever structure there is available is important (shortcuts, automation via ENScript or on Mac, just plain ad-hoc typed  queries, etc.). I understand that that's a change that ripples throughout your entire system, so it's understandable that it would take some time.
  • Spaces are a place for groups to share common notes, notebooks, etc, so they should probably be able to share common other stuff like saved searches and tags. As far as my own use, that would be pretty limited: I share some notebooks between my personal account and my work account; common (or rather duplicate) tags do work fine with the search language, though are a little awkward in the UI. I don't use saved searches that often, so less of a deal for me.
  • Pinning reminder notes: yes, I was thinking that there might be some ability to automatically have them be pinned, maybe some rule-based mechanism. I use reminder notes a lot and in the Windows snippet view, they work well as a pinning mechanism.

Remember, this is just my take on these various features, but I use Evernote in my own idiosyncratic way. At least some of the curiosity is in anticipation of the sorts of questions that other users are bound to ask.

Cheers!

Really agree with this (text again below) on being able to search Spaces. Has there been any progress yet? Please advise. Thanks

• Inclusion of spaces in search: search in Evernote is paramount, and having the search language be able to find things in whatever structure there is available is important
On 1/8/2018 at 9:24 PM, Leo Gong said:

Please if you get a chance take a look at my thoughts / feedback:

On 9/2/2018 at 10:08 PM, Randen Montalvo said:

Evernote seriously this post has all you need to update in spaces.

Thanks for the shout out! What is weird / frustrating is how these other apps (Asana, Dropbox Paper) have had these features for years. Evernote if they ever come around to having these feature will be behind. And in a even more crowded space where you have new note taking applications coming to market, is worrisome to consider Evernote just isn't keeping up with the times. 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:28 PM, OMNIZEN said:

Thanks for the shout out! What is weird / frustrating is how these other apps (Asana, Dropbox Paper) have had these features for years. Evernote if they ever come around to having these feature will be behind. And in a even more crowded space where you have new note taking applications coming to market, is worrisome to consider Evernote just isn't keeping up with the times. 

@OMNIZEN , you make a good point.  I had the same thought when I read your original post.  Here are my comments to your post and what may be relevant in this thread.

I had asked that spaces work with persons & email addresses outside my company or business domain but I have had no response.

Working with other contractors and suppliers, it is essential to have this kind of flexibility for Spaces to add value to my Evernote account.

As it is, I am finding that other desktop based options become more user friendly than Evernote. It does bring the value of my account into question. Sorry but that's true.

I’m frustrated with how work chat is integrated into Evernote business if I’m working in a space to which we primarily work on ipad pros 12.9s a notification should pop up with the message either floating or like a text message to respond to while still working. Currently using work chart is like using a separate application that really is disjointed while collaborative working on Pro IOS devices. You guys really need to fix the notifications of work chat on pro IOS devices and phones and allow collaborative work to be done while chatting instead of this exist out of work chat get back in concept which defeats the whole purpose of spaces. Again we want this on IOS devices. 

I came across this thread because I too am really frustrated with EN. The thing is--I love it--for ME. And I am REALLY beginning to see how weak it is in the collaboration/corporate structure. As I'm hiring new VAs and want to share certain notebooks with them--or heaven forbid man, but not all... the process--as I see it/know it--is painstakingly cumbersome. 

I am completely open to the idea that I am not doing something right, but our setup is basically Company as the stack and departments below. If I want someone to have access to all of the notebooks under one company, I have to manually share each notebook with a person. Originally I thought/hoped I could create a space for the company and then put all of the notebooks in that space and then learned that I cannot pick and choose who has access to what notebooks and they get access to the entire space. So then I thought okay, maybe I can create spaces by the company and by the department, but then I learned a notebook cannot be in two spaces. 

It seems to me what's really missing is groups. If I could assign users to groups and groups to notebooks that would solve my problem--and/or being able to have a notebook, and notes, of course, in multiple spaces, that may work too. 

For example. I want my bookkeeper to have access to the finance notebook for all companies. I would put all of the finance notebooks in a "finance" space. And, I want my assistant to have access to all the notebooks in one company, but not all companies, so I would give her access to the one company's space, which also includes the finance notebook mentioned above.

It's just so damn cumbersome. I'm unfortunately looking for a new solution because this just isn't working :( 

2018-12-15_0046.png

@Leo Gong Designing cabinets actually. We partner with cabinet shops to plan their kitchens etc. with their customers. Then after customer has signed off the drawings we prepare shop drawings. So there are multiple drawings going back and forth by email. Our drawings, that come back marked up for revisions. Sometimes it is hard as a team to sort through which is the latest drawing. I hope to have the drawings for a given project all in one note, hopefully in order by date. As we put a new drawing at the top (or bottom) the cabinet maker has the opportunity to mark it up. Then the whole team can see the revisions right away. But along with that comes the request to have the author's initials automatically show. This is all good as it is now except for a few minor things. I would love to have a separate note or page or something clearly attached to the project for appliance specs and other relevant information that will be referenced from time to time as project progresses. That is what I was hoping for out of spaces, a separate note all in the same space so the project is clearly displayed to the whole team. But I was also hoping I do not need to create a completely new space for every project, or I am afraid the cabinet maker will tire of loading a space every time, I was hoping the space would load on his Evernote account automatically as I create it.

I would have much preferred you fix the program that you have then coming out with another yet unasked for feature.

1.  Dark themes
2. Better editing choices
3.  Better control over formatting after merges
4. Better control over import folders - network drives.

But this is just me a long time customer.

I would like to be able to invite outside clients or contractors into a space rather than just sharing each notebook individually. For example, I recently redesigned a website for a fellow ECC and instead of being able to invite him directly into the space, I had to share all the different notebooks individually. Having that main share feature would be awesome.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:46 PM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I would like to be able to invite outside clients or contractors into a space rather than just sharing each notebook individually. For example, I recently redesigned a website for a fellow ECC and instead of being able to invite him directly into the space, I had to share all the different notebooks individually. Having that main share feature would be awesome.

YES! I agree Sayre.  This would be great.  I'm an ECC with a Evernote Business Client - 12 users, 200+ notebooks, 14,000+ notes.  I want to be able to share groups of notebooks with users within the EBA, rather than individual notebooks, one at a time.  This would help tremendously when staff is promoted, moved within the corporation, or bringing on new hires or temp staff. 

The ability to share specific Spaces with external users - such as accountants and consultants - who belong to a different EBA, or are individual Evernote Premium account holders would be incredible.  As I convince more businesses to come on board with Evernote and lose the hard copy paper, this becomes more and more important.  

On 1/9/2018 at 09:24, Leo Gong said:

Hello, @Leo Gong!
In the light of the Evernote Business Beta Release, here are my two suggestions:

1. Enable putting notes in Stacks;
  2. Make Spaces available in the personal beta version of Evernote.

Hope to get a response as to whether the requested features are going to be added.

Best regards, 
@Kitezh47 .

@Sayre Ambrosio - we're working on this - thanks for the feedback!

@Kitezh47 -

1) We have different plans for stacks - they're not really a "real" thing in the system today; you can't share them, etc. May I ask why you won't just put notes in Spaces? If it's because notes cannot live in multiple Spaces, we're working on that too - that would be the solution you're likely waiting for.

2) Working on that too. This is such a huge change to the system that we wanted to release first to businesses who would benefit most from having Spaces for their teams. Stay tuned!

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Leo Gong said:

1) We have different plans for stacks - they're not really a "real" thing in the system today

Hi Leo, I'm a personal edition user (so I can't  Business edition specific things out), and am just trying to wrap my head around what spaces are and how they fit into the Evernote architecture. I understand that stacks are pretty evanescent in Evernote (they're just a name in a notebook object). I've read the Stacks tutorial (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015761208-Getting-Started-with-Evernote-Business-Beta) and still haven't quite figured things out. From that, I see:

• Spaces, unlike stacks, can contain individual notes.
  • Spaces, like stacks, can contain notebooks.
  • A notebook may reside in at most one Space (similar to stacks)
  • Spaces, unlike stacks, may be shared with other users

Questions that come to mind:

• Does a note in a Space also reside in a notebook? Or does this mean that the owner of a note can be either a notebook or a space?
  • Can a notebook reside in a stack and a space at the same time?
  • Can a space contain other spaces?
  • Are spaces searchable via the search language similar to notebooks (and at least in the Windows client, stacks)? E.g. 'space:MySpace updated:month-1'
  • Can spaces contain other things like saved searches?
  • You can pin notes for easy access in a Space; will reminder notes also participate in the pinning?

Cheers, from a curious Evernoter

On 2/21/2018 at 9:41 AM, jefito said:

Questions that come to mind:

• Does a note in a Space also reside in a notebook? Or does this mean that the owner of a note can be either a notebook or a space?
  • Can a notebook reside in a stack and a space at the same time?
  • Can a space contain other spaces?
  • Are spaces searchable via the search language similar to notebooks (and at least in the Windows client, stacks)? E.g. 'space:MySpace updated:month-1'
  • Can spaces contain other things like saved searches?
  • You can pin notes for easy access in a Space; will reminder notes also participate in the pinning?

Cheers, from a curious Evernoter

I could answer questions about Spaces all day. Love the curiosity @jefito :) 

• Notes in a space live in a space, not a notebook. The latter of what you were guessing
  • Yes, because stacks aren't "real", they're kind of a parallel construct. Again, they're in a bit of a weird spot in the system today, but we couldn't really just tear them out / convert them to spaces because a) people use them and it would be rude to just remove them to put it lightly, and B. if we converted stacks to Spaces, that wouldn't work - because what if a notebook in a stack lived in your stack and my stack? Whose Space would it go into? Probably more than you asked for but... 
  • Not yet
  • Not yet
  • Not yet
  • Hmm not sure what you mean. You can pin reminder notes, but they're not pinned automatically.

It's helpful for me to understand what's more important to you - which of the not yets would you really really need/want? And why?

• Level 5*

Hi Leo -- I appreciate the response.

So, the 'not yets':

• So if spaces can (some time in the future) can contain other spaces, then maybe that will go a long way to assuage the "we need nested notebooks/stacks folks". It's not something I have a need for, personally, but there's a lot of call for hierarchy,
  • Inclusion of spaces in search: search in Evernote is paramount, and having the search language be able to find things in whatever structure there is available is important (shortcuts, automation via ENScript or on Mac, just plain ad-hoc typed  queries, etc.). I understand that that's a change that ripples throughout your entire system, so it's understandable that it would take some time.
  • Spaces are a place for groups to share common notes, notebooks, etc, so they should probably be able to share common other stuff like saved searches and tags. As far as my own use, that would be pretty limited: I share some notebooks between my personal account and my work account; common (or rather duplicate) tags do work fine with the search language, though are a little awkward in the UI. I don't use saved searches that often, so less of a deal for me.
  • Pinning reminder notes: yes, I was thinking that there might be some ability to automatically have them be pinned, maybe some rule-based mechanism. I use reminder notes a lot and in the Windows snippet view, they work well as a pinning mechanism.

Remember, this is just my take on these various features, but I use Evernote in my own idiosyncratic way. At least some of the curiosity is in anticipation of the sorts of questions that other users are bound to ask.

Cheers!

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Leo Gong said:

I could answer questions about Spaces all day.

Holding you to that; you might regret posting it.  :)

Are tags stil active within Spaces?  The reason I ask is because I see Spaces (or Notebooks) as my tool for sharing data.  Tags are my tool for organizing/searching that data.

>>May I ask why you won't just put notes in Spaces? If it's because notes cannot live in multiple Spaces, we're working on that too.

Multiple Spaces per note - like Tags?

This would make it easier to share data with different groups.

Hi, I'm just beginning with Evernote. I like a lot of what I see. Spaces looks like exactly what I need, if I can share a Space with someone outside my company. What I hope to get out of Evernote is a place to share and collaborate with my clients, rather than by email, since emails need to be forwarded or shared with the rest of the team.

So I am hoping to create a Space for each of my clients (my clients are also businesses that will have multiple clients, so I'm hoping to create a Space within a Space, mostly so I don't need to share a space over and over again with the same client). My clients may then choose to add one Space for each of their projects as they come up. This space I hope will then automatically sync with my Evernote as soon as they create it, and my team can collaborate from there.

Tags doesn't quite organize it well enough. I want to create a "project" container and share it with whoever is involved, rather than have notes scattered all over Evernote and try to bring them together and hope I don't miss sharing a specific note with the team.

Am I clear on my explanation? Please let me know if you expect this all to be possible, and/or if you have any other suggestions that are better.

This is what I want to do with spaces too.  I have corporations with multiple companies.  I imagine one EBA, with spaces for each company.  I do need somehow to share groups of notebooks with outside users, accountants, auditors, engineers, etc. Some do have Evernote Business accounts of their own, so I can't just have them join ours. 

Thanks @jefito, that's helpful context.

@DTLow We aren't making any changes to tags - you can still tag notes as you do today. You can filter a Spaces' set of notes by tag using search: start a search in a Space, and add in a tag filter. We'll be adding in UI filters within the Space view - but not yet.

"Multiple spaces per note - like tags?" - Yes, if tags were shareable as a construct.

@Evergreen Office is your business helping other businesses stay organized by any chance? I'd love to understand what you do - the context will be helpful in interpreting your questions.

@Fabulous Filing Friends - we are working on enabling sharing of Spaces to members outside of your business. It's quite challenging technically, but it's definitely one of the top items we're working on.

21 minutes ago, Evergreen Office said:

@Fabulous Filing Friends Thanks for the tip! I need to try that.

If you already have a ToC type note and want to add a new note to it, from list view (in Evernote Windows)

right click on the note that you want to add,

choose "copy internal link"

then go to where you want to add the link in your ToC, and

[ctl]+v to paste the link. 

TaDA!  You could even get fancy doo and make a table with the note links in it, and columns for initials, comments etc. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Fabulous Filing Friends said:

If you already have a ToC type note and want to add a new note to it, from list view (in Evernote Windows)

Try drag and drop to insert the link; it works on my  Mac

• Level 5*

Well if one table of contents points to a set of notes that also contain tables of contents,  and if those child ToCs each contain a link back to the original,  you can build as complicated a layout as you might need...

1. Start with the two notes, the first will preferably be a summary sheet or information/things you want each project to have. The second will be a blank note. 
  2. Create a table of contents note.  Rename the table of contents note to the name of the project. 
  3. Copy the internal link for the ToC note to each of the first two notes. 
  4. Duplicate the second note and fill it in with what ever - first set of drawings?  - Quote?  Customer's request? 
  5. Copy the internal link for that page onto the ToC note.  
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to add all the info for the project, with the ToC note the summary, and each project note has the link to the ToC. 

I think you get the idea.  It will take a bit of practise, and messing around until you get your packages right, but once you have a flow it will be so easy to track projects!

• Level 5*

7 hours ago, Evergreen Office said:

a separate note all in the same space so the project is clearly displayed to the whole team

We always include a master note to summarize the shared information.
This applies to a shared Notebook,  and the new shared Spaces

This master note has sections to identify the purpose, tags used, searches used, and links to key notes...
We modify the note links as the project progresses.
If the note links are public urls, an Evernote account is not required, only a web browser

The collection of notes may work for some users; others work from the master document without even using the Evernote features.

There could be various master notes; Project A, B, C etc
We don't have to do a new share for each project.

Not sure if I am hi-jacking the thread to ask this here, but... do others add to notes at the top or bottom? I wish the latest additions were at the top, or else I wish the page would automatically jump to the bottom. Or maybe just a jump to bottom button. I haven't used long enough, maybe it stays at the bottom when the next person opens the note?

I am awaiting the end of the day to see Spaces appearing on my Evernote Business account. As an ECL I have already seen Spaces in action but I am a bit disappointed: in early talks on the ECL discussion we were told that a it will be possible to share a Notebook between different Spaces. Now it seams that a Notebook can only be shared on one Space only.

In my humble opinion it is withdrawing a lot of interest about Spaces. I have to deal with clients who have many projects or workgroup (which could be translated by Spaces) in which they have to share the same groups of notes (rules, objectives, formal documents, etc.) throughout more than one project.

So I am thrilled to play with Spaces but I have been waiting (dreaming) for a feature that was discussed but not present (yet?).

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Evergreen Office said:

do others add to notes at the top or bottom?

I tend to add latest comments at the top of a note,  but I often simply add new information as a new note,  with a date in the title in YYYYMMDD format.  Then the order of the notes can be changed from oldest first to newest first just by sorting on title.  If I merge notes I sort by newest first to put the content in order.  Deciding which to adopt depends on agreements with whoever else is sharing access.  And occasional threats...;)

Archived