Evernote for Windows 6.7 Beta 1 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks - 

Hot on the heels of our 6.6 GA, here's our first Beta of version 6.7. You can download it here. This first Beta includes a number of fixes and improvements. Please take it out for a spin and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows & Note Editor teams. 

----------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.7

Fixes and Improvements

Fixed paste + match style behavior where not all content was being pasted as expected

Fixed an issue where local unsynced content disappears when the source notebook is no longer available

Options dialog updates to use standard Windows control for tree navigation

Focus is not set to title or content based on user preference regardless of how new notes Open (previously only supported when a note is opened in a new window)

Added information on the note editor version in the 'About' dialog to improve root causing of issues

Fixed issue where wrong note is sometimes shown when launching presentation mode

Fixed issue where nothing happens when users clicks Edit >> Delete option in Single Note View

• Level 5*

OK, so paste and match style looks to have been "fixed". But as I describe in the below thread, paste and match style should do what it says, not retain font and spacing from the source text if the source text happens to be a title or subtitle. If a user wants to retain the formatting, we already have a feature for that - Paste (CTRL+V).

Example: copying title, subtitle and author sections of following article and pasting via Paste and Match Style: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/9/16114530/net-neutrality-crusade-against-verizon-alex-nguyen-fcc

WZriREf.png

Not only would I have to spend time cleaning this up, but I don't even know how to fix the line spacing in the subtitle - EN seems to think it's some giant font as indicated by the size of the cursor, but the editor shows it to be font size 8, so I have no idea how I'd fix the line spacing since it's not really a line spacing issue (even though it looks like one at initial glance); it's single line spacing of giant font that's not actually giant font.

Please, if you would like Paste and Match Style actually match the style of your existing note (for example, you're copy/pasting some reference article title into an existing note), make your voice heard: 

When displaying PDF as an attachment, I can not any longer position it exactly where I want.  The problem stems from attachment having an invisible box around it with the empty space.  The box only becomes visible if I right-click on the PDF or try to drag it to the place I want it to be displayed at. When I try to cut and paste it, it is temporary displays where I want. However, if I switch to the different note and then go back to the note with the PDF attachment it will move up from the previous spot because of the white space. Below is an example of what I am talking about. This white space eats into the note display space.

598be4013befd_boxaroundpdfattachment.thumb.png.8f82bb4ebf66931ee1428a3d28254e23.png

1 hour ago, keisoko said:

When displaying PDF as an attachment, I can not any longer position it exactly where I want.  The problem stems from attachment having an invisible box around it with the empty space.  The box only becomes visible if I right-click on the PDF or try to drag it to the place I want it to be displayed at. When I try to cut and paste it, it is temporary displays where I want. However, if I switch to the different note and then go back to the note with the PDF attachment it will move up from the previous spot because of the white space. Below is an example of what I am talking about. This white space eats into the note display space.

598be4013befd_boxaroundpdfattachment.thumb.png.8f82bb4ebf66931ee1428a3d28254e23.png

It happens to me as well but it does not seems that it is just pdf but it happens to image and other attachments as well

• Level 5*

That 'empty space' thing around (apparently all) attachments is an annoyance.  I used to be able to get several attachments showing in one screen,  now they're spaced so far apart I can get 2-3 max. - Here's a quick example

598c6ffe0ad07_ScreenClip2.png.40b20e3c2cf3f4c57acde1693579fc8d.png

Hello all, 

This is a business account issue that hasn't been resolved in the GA or this Beta.

Previously, when I was in my business notebook (alt-2) and created a note, the note would go to my default Business notebook. Now, there only seems to be one default notebook and it can't be set to a business folder. As someone who uses Evernote extensively for business and personal matters, it's so helpful to be able to quickly decide which side of the online brain a new idea/note is going towards. 

I will note that if I Alt-F1 to a notebook in my business account and create a new note, it will go to that notebook, along with the tags I might have also searched for.

Best,

M

10 hours ago, tavor said:

OK, so paste and match style looks to have been "fixed". But as I describe in the below thread, paste and match style should do what it says, not retain font and spacing from the source text if the source text happens to be a title or subtitle. If a user wants to retain the formatting, we already have a feature for that - Paste (CTRL+V).

Example: copying title, subtitle and author sections of following article and pasting via Paste and Match Style: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/9/16114530/net-neutrality-crusade-against-verizon-alex-nguyen-fcc

WZriREf.png

Not only would I have to spend time cleaning this up, but I don't even know how to fix the line spacing in the subtitle - EN seems to think it's some giant font as indicated by the size of the cursor, but the editor shows it to be font size 8, so I have no idea how I'd fix the line spacing since it's not really a line spacing issue (even though it looks like one at initial glance); it's single line spacing of giant font that's not actually giant font.

Please, if you would like Paste and Match Style actually match the style of your existing note (for example, you're copy/pasting some reference article title into an existing note), make your voice heard: 

Currently - Paste and Match style removes these - font, size, color, align, indent, trailing whitespace  - items taggered (in the HTML) as Header 1 and such are not removed, which messes with line spacing and such.  I shared your info with Dev and the PM

• Level 5*

The bug that causes your cursor to jump to the first line of the note is back in this build. I just spent a few minutes typing a lot of data into a table cell and after a few minutes, I found my self on the first line of the note.

• Level 5*

I just changed the subject (a task) of a note with no body.

I had another note open in another window, which is also a shortcut note.

the shortcut note subject got changed, not the original note I was in. I only noticed when my shortcut bar looked strange.

I know for a fact I was in the task note because I specifically looked at the body and it it was empty. I paused for a second to let it download (sync on demand enabled) until I realized it was just a subject with no note body.

13 minutes ago, EdH said:

The bug that causes your cursor to jump to the first line of the note is back in this build. I just spent a few minutes typing a lot of data into a table cell and after a few minutes, I found my self on the first line of the note.

Dang, it is just happen during regular typing or were arrows or key combos hit during content creation?  (tracking down which bug got back in, hence the question)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

That 'empty space' thing around (apparently all) attachments is an annoyance.  I used to be able to get several attachments showing in one screen,  now they're spaced so far apart I can get 2-3 max. - Here's a quick example

598c6ffe0ad07_ScreenClip2.png.40b20e3c2cf3f4c57acde1693579fc8d.png

On the positive side, it matches the fat margins around the text now. :(

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

Dang, it is just happen during regular typing or were arrows or key combos hit during content creation?  (tracking down which bug got back in, hence the question)

I was switching from italics to plain, so did CTRL-I some text CTRL-I more text - and the "more text" was at the top of the note.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, EdH said:

I just changed the subject (a task) of a note with no body.

I had another note open in another window, which is also a shortcut note.

the shortcut note subject got changed, not the original note I was in. I only noticed when my shortcut bar looked strange.

I know for a fact I was in the task note because I specifically looked at the body and it it was empty. I paused for a second to let it download (sync on demand enabled) until I realized it was just a subject with no note body.

Just to clarify on this to show I didn't inadvertently do this:

1. Original note title I changed was "bookmark 76-78, in dax book"
  2. I changed it to "bookmark 76-78, 109-111 in dax book" by simply adding 109-111 in the middle. I did this in the EN main window, list view
  3. A totally different note (open in its own window) adopted the new note title - the entire thing. I never copied it to the clipboard, and didn't retype it.
  4. Original note retained the old "bookmark 76-78, in dax book" title.
  5. I know my typing took so I suspect this mixup happened on sync. I was editing both notes - the background note I was editing the body - some cell in a table.
  • Level 5*

Font size in the code block now seems to change at random. If I add a code block in 6.7 and return to the note after some time, it can be either bigger or smaller. It also seems to change based on if I view the note in the main window or in a single window.

7 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Font size in the code block now seems to change at random. If I add a code block in 6.7 and return to the note after some time, it can be either bigger or smaller. It also seems to change based on if I view the note in the main window or in a single window.

Thanks for the report, we will investigate 

BTW - Is the font being changed from the default font?  

Hi,
thanks gazumped for pointing me to this thread.

Unfortunately I have the very same issue.

In short: There is no way to paste text as actually plain text. And what's even worse: A pasted text with any format cannot be converted into "unformatted" at all.

Please see details (my ticket) too:
https://evernote.directly.com/p/evernote-how-to-paste-unformatted-text-3676309?r=3538833

It cannot be that I have to use a separate text editor as an intermediate step only to get rid of formatting!

Cheers

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Farbauti said:

Hi,
thanks gazumped for pointing me to this thread.

Unfortunately I have the very same issue.

In short: There is no way to paste text as actually plain text. And what's even worse: A pasted text with any format cannot be converted into "unformatted" at all.

Please see details (my ticket) too:
https://evernote.directly.com/p/evernote-how-to-paste-unformatted-text-3676309?r=3538833

I cannot be that I have to use a separate text editor as an intermediate step only to get rid of formatting!

Cheers

Please add your voice and your vote to this thread: 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Farbauti said:

It's funny that this most-basic function has to be discussed at all :(

Evernote decided to 'improve' their product and got feedback from their users that this was not a good idea.  Not much discussion involved,  but feedback is sometimes definitely required to keep them on track!  ;)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

I suspect it's related to the font issue raised in the v6.6GA thread:

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

I get updates from here first, but I recorded both links for the designers and such, so they can go read all the comments. 

Great, thanks. I started the other thread so that this particular issue didn't get lost in general discussion of version releases, and also to raise awareness and solicit feedback from users who don't always keep EN updated to most recent beta or GA release, and would thus otherwise be unaware of the changes to this very basic feature.

• Level 5*
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎11 at 4:11 PM, Jason Miller said:

It's still Monaco in the code block, but on the same system in the same note, different code blocks have text sizes between 9-12

On 8/10/2017 at 8:51 AM, Jason Miller said:

Currently - Paste and Match style removes these - font, size, color, align, indent, trailing whitespace  - items taggered (in the HTML) as Header 1 and such are not removed, which messes with line spacing and such.  I shared your info with Dev and the PM

I would "almost" be OK with this behavior if the user was allowed to alter the header styles. As it is now, there is no "style" support in the editor and as such it is grossly inconsistent and frustrating.

• Level 5*

The new left margin makes it hard to start selecting text at the margin with the mouse, without selecting text all the way from the top. Another minor annoyance with the margin, if you don't plan to use it for anything more useful than just those table buttons.

Evernote windows table suddenly have 1 column that cannot be removed after I go to other note and come back. It happens when i merge the table column instead of creating just 1 column.

2017-08-14_21-47-19.png

So, it appears there are still issues with "Paste and Match Style."

The first attached file shows selected text from an Evernote support page - file is "1 .jpg"  The second screenshot, "2 .jpg" shows a portion of a note in Evernote - where I want to paste the selected text from the first screenshot - using "Paste and Match Style" (see file "3 .jpg" showing I have chosen Paste and Match Style) - and the result is shown in "4 .jpg"

The same applies to pasting links that are formatted in a web page - the formatting and color remain when pasted into a note using Paste and Match Style.

1 .jpg

2 .jpg

3 .jpg

4 .jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, NoLife said:

Evernote windows table suddenly have 1 column that cannot be removed after I go to other note and come back. It happens when i merge the table column instead of creating just 1 column.

I've seen the same behavior.  It happens after I modify the table on my phone.  Two extra columns will then appear when I access the note on my PC.  It did this in GA 6.6 as well.

ScreenClip.png.e3e7751c774c3834820dab8213082e6d.png

• Level 5*
On 8/9/2017 at 5:45 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed paste + match style behavior where not all content was being pasted as expected

The problem with this feature is there are too many inconsistencies with what it actually does and what users expect. To me, it means "paste with no formatting at all, and adopt what is in the note  paragraph I am pasting into.

Instead we are told:

Currently - Paste and Match style removes these - font, size, color, align, indent, trailing whitespace  - items taggered (in the HTML) as Header 1 and such are not removed, which messes with line spacing and such.

I don't even know what that means.

In Office apps, and Google Chrome, there is a "paste as text" feature. That does what it says. No formatting at all is brought in. None. Just raw ASCII, and it adopts the destination format. That should be simple. Strip out EVERYTHING but ASCII and paste it.

Is any user really expecting it to do anything different?

Until it does that, I will have to continue to paste into Notepad first, then copy and past into Evernote.

6 minutes ago, EdH said:

The problem with this feature is there are too many inconsistencies with what it actually does and what users expect. To me, it means "paste with no formatting at all, and adopt what is in the note  paragraph I am pasting into.

Instead we are told:

I don't even know what that means.

In Office apps, and Google Chrome, there is a "paste as text" feature. That does what it says. No formatting at all is brought in. None. Just raw ASCII, and it adopts the destination format. That should be simple. Strip out EVERYTHING but ASCII and paste it.

Until it does that, I will have to continue to paste into Notepad first, then copy and past into Evernote.

For the "I don't even know what that means." it means we remove those tags from the copied HTML.  

Anyway I am sharing with the PM and Dev

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

For the "I don't even know what that means." it means we remove those tags from the copied HTML.  

Anyway I am sharing with the PM and Dev

Well, I don't understand how you remove them in the above statement and don't remove them in this statement. (emphasis mine)

items taggered (in the HTML) as Header 1 and such are not removed, which messes with line spacing and such

Thus the confusion.

Thanks for passing along to the decision makers. :)

Adding the unnecessary, undesired, annoying CR-LF into every copied partial text bug is still persistent.

Give credit to Evernote for turning Text formatting into a rocket science.

Seriously? after so many years of development and you manage to have this many text formatting issues?

30 minutes ago, EdH said:

I expect "paste and match style" to remove source formatting and apply destination formatting - after all, it has to "match" something. And while that behaviour could be useful it must never replace "paste as text" which is essential. Shift + Ctl + V = paste as text, as you say. I will never upgrade my three pro accounts until that returns - nor will I renew any of them if it does not come back. 

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

I've seen the same behavior.  It happens after I modify the table on my phone.  Two extra columns will then appear when I access the note on my PC.  It did this in GA 6.6 as well.

ScreenClip.png.e3e7751c774c3834820dab8213082e6d.png

Trying to recreate - What type of edits are you doing and which phone are you editing on ?

• Level 5*

Just installed the beta and the installer cratered with the "msi" issue.  I was running 6.6.4 and it appeared that there was some 6.6.3 beta still laying about.  Revo'd that and 6.7.1 installed okay.  However, all of that meant I had to reset my toolbars and options.  Most of my saved search view settings were intact, though one notebook view setting was not.  

Anyway, a bit of a PITA caused I suppose more by the 6.6.3 to 6.6.4 than the 6.7.1 install.  

ScreenCli1p.png.612b9698b6b06c26dd69d0b2c8520b33.png  Screen2Clip.png.949e3d874e12cc15a2c25c2ff417893d.png  ScreenClip.png.b56b7434d35b612a92fe94da3006347d.png

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Trying to recreate - What type of edits are you doing and which phone are you editing on ?

Adding text to cells using an iPhone using IOS 11 Beta and EN 8.3.  It doesn't happen on all notes.  

I can share the note that it does happen if you would like.  I just cleared the contents in a copy of the note and the problem still occurs. 

EDIT:  Just PM'd a copy of the note that fails.

2 hours ago, EdH said:

Kudos to EdH for explaining exactly what some of us have had to resort to, to accomplish the function of "paste and match style."    I do not remember having an issue like this with previous versions; having to keep notepad open to accomplish what Evernote should do is an interesting experience.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, southernforge said:

Kudos to EdH for explaining exactly what some of us have had to resort to, to accomplish the function of "paste and match style."    I do not remember having an issue like this with previous versions; having to keep notepad open to accomplish what Evernote should do is an interesting experience.

Paste and Match Style changed with EN v6.6

Some of the changes are obvious errors, but retaining header formatting seems to be by design per earlier comment in v6.6GA thread. No idea why EN thought this was a good idea, but hopefully they are getting the message loud and clear from the users.

• Level 5*

Had a problem with a website that had tables. The tables were not adjustable after they had been clipped to Evernote. Discovered that if you right click anywhere in the table (I had not selected any text). There is an option to "Upgrade Table." Selected that, and my table is now fully adjustable. Thanks for giving me this opportunity to say thank you again!!

32 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Had a problem with a website that had tables. The tables were not adjustable after they had been clipped to Evernote. Discovered that if you right click anywhere in the table (I had not selected any text). There is an option to "Upgrade Table." Selected that, and my table is now fully adjustable. Thanks for giving me this opportunity to say thank you again!!

Evernote is a fantastic product, no doubt - and seeing this information about tables is great news.  Seeing the improvements made along the way has been encouraging - I love the product, and appreciate the developers asking for our feedback.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Interesting.  I think this is new in the latest Beta - might have appeared a version or two before...

Clipboard-1.png.9bc12db9695b06c7de21a1c64f41b67d.png

I'm guessing this relates to sync on demand - the deal being that even if you start with a minimal number of notes and a small database,  over time as you open more and more notes,  and therefore more notes are sync/ downloaded,  you could theoretically wind up with a full database in local storage.  With this feature active,  those notes will get 'purged' back to the server - ie deleted from local storage - your your database stays small.

I'd appreciate @Jason Miller if you could confirm that I'm correct (I get nervous about words like 'purge') AND that if on demand sync is NOT tcked,  there's a block on purging notes

(Cynical me imagines that I'm sitting here with a huge database all saved locally,  and sync on demand disabled.  If I accidentally or unknowingly tick 'purge rarely viewed notes' 90% of my current database might get deleted.  Obviously that's not a data loss issue - the notes are still saved on the server;  but depending on the number and size of those notes I can see my system being tied up for an hour while the deletions go through... and then I'd wind up spending more time renaming and rebuilding the database so I can get local backups.)

Anyway:  Gold Star for the new option / 2 demerits for not documenting it more fully (it's a major feature -IMHO- that I only found by accident!)

I have a 'backup' laptop running sync on demand,  so I'll switch this on and see what happens.  It hasn't had much use this year so most of the notes that are already there should get purged... 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'd appreciate @Jason Miller if you could confirm that I'm correct (I get nervous about words like 'purge') AND that if on demand sync is NOT tcked,  there's a block on purging notes

That has been there a few months. It doesn't really purge anything. It simply removes the note body on a note older than X days from your local database. I asked about the word "purge" when it came out as you are correct, it is a scary word when dealing with data.

It works fine though. I've tested it and it seems to do what it says, and clicking on a "purged" note brings the body back down again.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, EdH said:

That has been there a few months. It doesn't really purge anything. It simply removes the note body on a note older than X days from your local database. I asked about the word "purge" when it came out as you are correct, it is a scary word when dealing with data.

It works fine though. I've tested it and it seems to do what it says, and clicking on a "purged" note brings the body back down again.

Does this option have any effect if On Demand Sync is disabled? If not, it seems a bit strange that disabling On Demand Sync does NOT automatically disable the Purge option. In other words, the options are set up so that you can have On Demand Sync disabled and Purge enabled - what happens in that scenario?

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, tavor said:

Does this option have any effect if On Demand Sync is disabled? If not, it seems a bit strange that disabling On Demand Sync does NOT automatically disable the Purge option. In other words, the options are set up so that you can have On Demand Sync disabled and Purge enabled - what happens in that scenario?

I don't see how it could have any effect if On Demand Sync was disabled. If the option isn't being greyed out, then it seems that is a UI bug. I'm not testing it because I don't want to initiate a download of 9GB of data. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

I don't see how it could have any effect if On Demand Sync was disabled. If the option isn't being greyed out, then it seems that is a UI bug. I'm not testing it because I don't want to initiate a download of 9GB of data. 

@Jason Miller can you weigh in on this?

Is there a reason why the Purge option is not greyed out when On Demand Sync is disabled?

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, csihilling said:

He may have left the building....

Oh yeah.... his profile says Employee Alumni now. :mellow:

welp, that sucks.

He'd still know what it does, but cannot do anything about it now.

• Level 5*

Bug of sorts.

Not sure if this was the case before the beta, but the auto save feature is limited to 100 seconds.  You can put whatever you want in there over 100 seconds and save it, but when you return it will be 100 seconds.  Bad thing is you don't get any kind of an error message or limiter on the up arrow.  So you go merrily on your way not knowing the change did not take.

While we are at it, aren't most save cycles in minutes as opposed to seconds?  Or at least a 600 second max.  With some of the speed issue posts we see folks could be just completing a cycle when the next one starts...

• Level 5*

To follow up that 'purging' comment - I have a database (I mentioned) on a second laptop that hasn't been used for a while.  It's a 'sync on demand' setup,  so although my full database is 17GB and counting,  this one was,  a couple of hours ago,  842MB (after being used for a while,  so with quite a few downloads).

I activated the 'purge' option (also a couple of hours ago) - it's now down to 278MB!!  I think I'm in love...  (That may have been Pete K's parting gift.B))

It also freezes far less (as in zero times so far) than the other full database version.  I may have to swap these two over so my working laptop has the partial.

Yes, it happens on any selection, CRLF is appended all the time.

Quite annoying, like the other issues, impossible to paste without first pasting it to notepad and then selecting the text without CRLF.

Specially bad when pasting directly to a console / shell.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I activated the 'purge' option (also a couple of hours ago) - it's now down to 278MB!!  I think I'm in love...  (That may have been Pete K's parting gift.B))

It also freezes far less (as in zero times so far) than the other full database version.  I may have to swap these two over so my working laptop has the partial.

It was. He and I corresponded a bit on it as my comparatively paltry 8-9GB database constantly froze. This feature changed the world for me in Evernote. When it first came out you have to delete your database and start over with sync on demand, but the purge feature came later and I guess it does a pretty good job of squeezing it down.

What is nice is as you download things to look at, it will purge them again in X days.

the downside is search is slower and you have no idea what it is doing. So first it searches locally, which is only 278MB of data for you. Then it goes online and can take 10+ seconds to search your cloud data and pull those note headers into your search. The frustrating thing is after the local batch is done, you think it is done, and if you don't see what you want, you change search terms to find it. The truth is it needs to finish, but there is no search progress status at all!

I've been asking for this to get fixed for 3 months now, and still nothing.

• Level 5*

Yeah I've been watching that thread...  seems like Evernote found a possible way around the problems and delays of syncing - only to run headlong into the problems and delays of searching...

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, FactMan said:

There is an option to "Upgrade Table." Selected that, and my table is now fully adjustable.

Interesting side note here.  I created a table long ago where I encrypted all the cells.  With the new releases I could no longer add rows or columns to the table.  And to the best of my knowledge you can no longer encrypt an entire table, in fact you have to do it a cell at a time.  So facing a dilemma but left it on the back burner.

After your post I thought I would give the upgrade table a shot.  It worked.  Not only can I now add rows/columns again, but the encryption on the entire table was maintained.  Thanks for triggering the thought.  

So even though you can't easily encrypt an entire table anymore, upgrading an existing table does not remove the function!

download.jpg.cbb8358867c1527fba3090667cbb9364.jpg

• Level 5*

Bug report.

I just added a business card.  When typing into the notes field the cursor continually bounces back to the beginning of the field.  Every 5 to 10 characters, or maybe just when I pause typing.

15 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Bug report.

I just added a business card.  When typing into the notes field the cursor continually bounces back to the beginning of the field.  Every 5 to 10 characters, or maybe just when I pause typing.

Well that is annoying, how did you add the business card?  (scanned in on the iPhone and then edited on Windows?)

• Level 5*

@Jason Miller I don't think I ever got a clear understanding of where the font size issue stands. Is this in the queue for a fix? If so, maybe in the next beta?

Surprised no one else is talking about this. It's been a real PITA to constantly edit font sizes or just live with a mix of 10pt (pre-v6.6) and 9pt (post-v6.6) in all the notes I've edited since updating to v6.6

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, EdH said:

That's not long in the Evernote waiting world! There are things that have been requested for several years that we are still waiting for...

Another request, perhaps related to the sync issue - could an indication be provided on which notes have been purged so that if we are browsing by tag we can easily see what's what. I suggest the Sync field could be modified rather than redesign the database again...

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you hover the "Purge rarely viewed note content" checkbox item, you're get the longer explanation. It is indeed "purged from the local database".

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Well that is annoying, how did you add the business card?  (scanned in on the iPhone and then edited on Windows?)

Actually used the add a note using the camera, not scanned per se.  And yes, then edited on Windows desktop.

• Level 5*

I don't know if this bug has been mentioned before but I have several clipped notes where words are merged/space has been removed, in 6.7. The notes looks fine on my phone, but as soon as they are edited on 6.7, the notes are permanently corrupted.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Incremental bugs,

1. You cannot edit the title or the note area of the business card note on the iPhone.  
  2. Noticed this morning that the business card note did not sync since the last change yesterday.  So it appears instant sync does not work on the business card note, nor does automatic sync work reliably.  As a test made a change to the note title on Windows and two minutes after the auto sync time frame the note still had not changed.  Modified another note and then the business card note synced when that one instant synced.  Weird.

May be it appeared in the previous releases, but it looks like a bug:

• Create a new note 
  • Insert to it a link to another note (just ctrl-v) using default font
  • Change default font is the application settings and restart the application

All text was changed to new selected font except font in the link.

14 hours ago, tavor said:

@Jason Miller I don't think I ever got a clear understanding of where the font size issue stands. Is this in the queue for a fix? If so, maybe in the next beta?

Surprised no one else is talking about this. It's been a real PITA to constantly edit font sizes or just live with a mix of 10pt (pre-v6.6) and 9pt (post-v6.6) in all the notes I've edited since updating to v6.6

Not being worked on at the moment, also a bit harder to reproduce (so far) internally) - QA will "play" with it a bit more to get clear steps for Dev to look at

• Level 5*

Bug Report.

To change the Synchronize automatically setting I had to first uncheck the option, OK out of options, then back into Options, check the  Synchronize automatically option and then change the time.  Used to be able to do this just by selecting a new time.

11 hours ago, csihilling said:

Actually used the add a note using the camera, not scanned per se.  And yes, then edited on Windows desktop.

iOS 11 I take and I will have QA take a look (we usually recreate things first to make Dev's life easier at fixing them)

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Jason Miller said:

iOS 11 I take and I will have QA take a look (we usually recreate things first to make Dev's life easier at fixing them)

My guess would be it will perform the same on IOS 10, seems more EN plumbing than IOS plumbing.  ;)

12 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

May be it appeared in the previous releases, but it looks like a bug:

• Create a new note 
  • Insert to it a link to another note (just ctrl-v) using default font
  • Change default font is the application settings and restart the application

All text was changed to new selected font except font in the link.

Thanks for the info, will look into it 

19 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Incremental bugs,

1. You cannot edit the title or the note area of the business card note on the iPhone.  
  2. Noticed this morning that the business card note did not sync since the last change yesterday.  So it appears instant sync does not work on the business card note, nor does automatic sync work reliably.  As a test made a change to the note title on Windows and two minutes after the auto sync time frame the note still had not changed.  Modified another note and then the business card note synced when that one instant synced.  Weird.

Thanks for the extra details

On 8/15/2017 at 8:02 AM, gazumped said:

you could theoretically wind up with a full database in local storage

What is a "full" database? Is it some particular size in gigabytes, number of notes, number of attachments??? Is there a warning that this "fullness" is near?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

What is a "full" database? Is it some particular size in gigabytes, number of notes, number of attachments??? Is there a warning that this "fullness" is near?

No - in context of my previous posts,  it was where you choose 'sync on demand' to get a small database,  then continue viewing and editing notes for some time,  so downloading all your notes to the local database.  A 'full' download of your notes.  The purge feature (I since discovered) keeps things lean and mean.  My 'on demand' database had grown to 800MB locally,  and got purged back to 250MB (compared to the current 17GB total).

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

and got purged back to 250MB (compared to the current 17GB total

OK. So I've got around 1GB of notes and attachments here on my PC. Are you saying I should be deleting a bunch of these notes? Won't they also get deleted from the server? I've got about 12TB of space on my PC so 1GB is insignificant in the overall scheme. Is it a speed issue? My PC is only occasionally connected to the internet (via cellphone tether) so I would prefer to keep everything available. I also keep local copies of everything on my phone (lots of space there too) and haven't noticed anything slow.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

OK. So I've got around 1GB of notes and attachments here on my PC. Are you saying I should be deleting a bunch of these notes? Won't they also get deleted from the server? I've got about 12TB of space on my PC so 1GB is insignificant in the overall scheme. Is it a speed issue? My PC is only occasionally connected to the internet (via cellphone tether) so I would prefer to keep everything available. I also keep local copies of everything on my phone (lots of space there too) and haven't noticed anything slow.

No! Don't delete anything. Simply enable Sync on Demand in settings. It will remove the body of notes not used in X days (you pick X) from your local download but not touch them in the cloud or other devices.

Click on any note and it will immediately go pull that note body down for you.

With 1GB, it might not be an issue. As the Windows EN database grows, it gets increasingly slower and locks up the UI occasionally - and I am not sure if it is the size of the database or the note count. If you aren't seeing issues, don't make a change.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, OrbWeaver said:

Nope.  I was commenting on a new feature (I thought) in this build.  Trying to figure out how it worked and why.  If,  for your own reasons,  you have chosen 'sync on demand' on your PC it would make sense to also choose this option as a convenience just to tidy your database.  If you're not short of space,  and not seeing any slowdowns - don't mess with anything!  The first rule of IT "is if it works...don't fix it."

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

(we usually recreate things first to make Dev's life easier at fixing them)

That makes devs slow and lazy. Make 'em work for it! :D

2 minutes ago, EdH said:

With 1GB, it might not be an issue. As the Windows EN database grows, it gets increasingly slower and locks up the UI occasionally - and I am not sure if it is the size of the database or the note count. If you aren't seeing issues, don't make a change.

The 1GB is 95% images, 4% PDF, and 1% note body (stuff I type) and as I said, I don't connect the PC to the internet unless I have to. The vast majority of my stuff might get accessed once a year but when I want it, I may not have a connection, so I keep everything available offline on the PC and the other devices.

I've never noticed any issues regarding possible size so I'll keep your advice in mind and maintain the status quo for now. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

No - in context of my previous posts,  it was where you choose 'sync on demand' to get a small database,  then continue viewing and editing notes for some time,  so downloading all your notes to the local database.  A 'full' download of your notes.  The purge feature (I since discovered) keeps things lean and mean.  My 'on demand' database had grown to 800MB locally,  and got purged back to 250MB (compared to the current 17GB total).

I still haven't enabled any of these functions because I have not quite figured out how to keep a backup of my "full" enex file . Are you guys just trusting that all will be good with your data? (I don't mean to bring this up in this thread - is there a discussion of backup vs "on demand" and now "purge" somewhere?)

7 minutes ago, lisec said:

I still haven't enabled any of these functions because I have not quite figured out how to keep a backup of my "full" enex file . Are you guys just trusting that all will be good with your data? (I don't mean to bring this up in this thread - is there a discussion of backup vs "on demand" and now "purge" somewhere?)

The same issue. It will be fine if Evernote add ability to backup all cloud data without full content in the local database.

Right now I have two separate installation of Evernote: one with 'sync on demand' to keep the database small and Evernote fast;  and second installation with full local database to create backups.

Archived