10.100.1 - what happened to note links?

Go to solution Solved by eric99,

• Level 5*

A quick heads up here - I updated to 10.100.1 today and linking internally seems to have disappeared.  Alt+Ctrl+L now gives an HTTP link which opens (for me) in the web and "notes shared with me" - it does not go back to the note directly,  or even on the web.  I haven't restarted / logged out and back or anything yet;  will try shortly.  But beware I think something broke.

As a suggestion - any other issues with 10.100.1;  please post them here and contact Support referencing his URL...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

...and instant update:  dragging a note on top of another does produce an evernote:// link,  so at least there's that...

• Like 1

Mmmm... the shortcuts menu says that ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+C is now the shortcut for the internal link but I can't see it working... can you?

Finger gymnastics but it can be changed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks for that - I agree the option still exists;  I'd reformatted the previous shortcut to Alt+Ctrl+X (because I could..) but that no longer gets any reaction - just reset it to A-C-S-C and then re-defined it again,  but there's no visible reaction.  Think I may need a restart (I also tried signing out and back in...)

Hope that's the answer!

I tried restarting and not working... its already been mentioned in the expert forums. I will leave a bug report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't get the alt+ctrl+shift+C to work and I've also tried changing it but again it doesn't work. I'm also getting inconsistent results on whether web style links work at all.

• Level 5*

OK - just to repeat;  work-around for in-app links is to drag one note into (onto) another.  Sadly,  other than searching for the note name online,  web links are currently not working.  :(

• Like 3

A workaround is to do CTRL+ALT+L (to copy the internal link, which is now a web link) and, when pasting, replace the beginning portion of the link (the https://www.evernote.com part) with evernote:/// -- that seems to preserve the ability, at least for now, to open the note in the desktop (Windows) app.

I asked about the change previously but was told I whine too much. Hope this workaround is useful for someone and that the previous functionality is restored at some point.

• Like 1

Install the lastest.exe thing as I think its 10.100.3... just the release notes that are wrong.

I'm running it and didn't check release notes, just downloaded it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Congrats 🎉 

You are the only person on the planet who never makes any mistake.

Thinking about it, sounds unbelievable 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's trully strange kind of logic, is someone paying me to keep my SW stable and reliable ?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, fanysoft said:

That's trully strange kind of logic, is someone paying me to keep my SW stable and reliable ?

Hi.  Latest version is available from Evernote.com and now shows as 10.100.3.  Did you have an issue with this,  or were you chastising Evernote for forgetting to change the label?  (We're other users here by the way - opinions on Evernote can be delivered via feedback@evernote.com or a Support request.)

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Latest version is available from Evernote.com and now shows as 10.100.3.  Did you have an issue with this,  or were you chastising Evernote for forgetting to change the label?  (We're other users here by the way - opinions on Evernote can be delivered via feedback@evernote.com or a Support request.)

Yes, 10.100.3. I reinstalled EverNote today copletely. I still don't see option to Create internal link like it was before

32 minutes ago, fanysoft said:

I still don't see option to Create internal link like it was before

Its been removed from the UI. The way to create an internal link is to use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C or the Mac equivalent. You can remap this shortcut as well.

Em 06/08/2024 at 06:53, gazumped disse:

A quick heads up here - I updated to 10.100.1 today and linking internally seems to have disappeared.  Alt+Ctrl+L now gives an HTTP link which opens (for me) in the web and "notes shared with me" - it does not go back to the note directly,  or even on the web.  I haven't restarted / logged out and back or anything yet;  will try shortly.  But beware I think something broke.

As a suggestion - any other issues with 10.100.1;  please post them here and contact Support referencing his URL...

I'm using Windows 11 version 10.101.3. I tested it here using the 5 ways of creating note links that I know and they all worked perfectly. In all of them, the note link always opened in the place where I was, whether in the desktop app or on the web.

Screenshot_2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for posting this well-organized report.  Another link creation is with the table of contents.

Did you do any testing right after starting the Evernote offline for the https:// links?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Its been removed from the UI. The way to create an internal link is to use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C or the Mac equivalent. You can remap this shortcut as well.

Since this is a general and not just Windows forum, for those (like myself) who don't use the more than two key shortcuts regularly, the Mac equivalent is Ctrl+Option+Cmd+C to copy an app link.

I'll never get back the 20  minutes I just spent searching this forum after I found that copy app/internal link was removed from the right-click on the notes list. (At least I knew to come here because this came up before in a different thread a month ago where that solution is no longer valid due to version updates since then.)  It is on the Keyboard Shortcuts list in the Note Actions section (a ways down) so my bad for not looking there first. I didn't even remember that list existed under the Help menu because, as I said, I don't generally use non-standard shortcuts (i.e. not much more than standard copy/paste and maybe bold and italics in software that supports that.)

For those who aren't the keyboard shortcut power users, it could have been useful for the release notes to say something like copy app link has been removed from the menu (which I obviously discovered) and that using the keyboard shortcut is the replacement.

By the way, when copy app/internal link was first removed from the ... more actions menu, I did open a support ticket 19 days ago asking how I could copy an internal app link with that menu removed. That ticket remains unanswered. I discovered after the fact that I could right-click on the notes list and still get that. Now that is removed, I have found this thread and discovered I now have to use a four-key shortcut.  None of those answers were provided to me by support. I wonder if there is an issue with support not knowing how to answer because it's not clear what direction development is going with removing features or interface elements that, I can only guess, are considered unimportant by those folks.  I wonder if a ticket like that gets reassigned to development due to that lack of clarity on how to answer, and of course, answering tickets with simple answers would not be the priority of a developer so I sit over two weeks later with no response.

I like Evernote, have used and been paying for it for over 10 years (I don't remember how long but my profile here on the forums says my account is 12 years old), and I intend to continue using it for now. I can see why the long-term, high level/expert posters here get annoyed by the people who post negative things a lot and make broad statements about the developers and company being incompetent or not caring. However, I also think everyone might have a little empathy for frustrations that occur when features that are regularly used (such as copying an app link for me) seem to go away without an easy way to know or identify the solution especially if any of those folks have tried to contact support and get no response as I experienced.

• Like 2
3 horas atrás, Dave Green disse:

Thanks for posting this well-organized report.  Another link creation is with the table of contents.

Did you do any testing right after starting the Evernote offline for the https:// links?

I tested it here with Evernote offline and all the links worked perfectly.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Jon/t said:

@Bill C you can also remap the shortcut to save some finger gymnastics.

They've just launched a bug fix tracker which going forward may have a bit more info... 10.100.4 has just come out as well!!

Hopefully they resolve as well problem of note returning to default folder 10s after being moved different folder. Not just once. Every single time. I am online, yet my note is very stubborn. It moves back to default folder...

1 hour ago, fanysoft said:

fixed for me in todays 10.100.4 release, thanks

today I installed 10.101.4 and nothing changed.. its so annoying, nearly no link to notes nor the back button is working

• Level 5*

Try a clean reinstall if you're still having issues - 

Sign out of the account / don't save data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app. 

Power device off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild local data.  

New installs are typically a little slow - things get better after a day or so.

5 hours ago, cooljake said:

today I installed 10.101.4 and nothing changed.. its so annoying, nearly no link to notes nor the back button is working

This thread is (mainly) about adding web vs in app links and the various ways of doing that. As far as I am concerned there has been no progress at all in the multitude of issues surrounding the link actually taking you to the target note.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

This thread is (mainly) about adding web vs in app links and the various ways of doing that. As far as I am concerned there has been no progress at all in the multitude of issues surrounding the link actually taking you to the target note.

you're right.. I've just installed 10.101.5 and there's still no progress at all..as a layman I would like to say: it can't be that difficult, I think it has to do with (great) ignorance

• Level 5*

OK now I'm confused (again). 

I can generate both "note links" (https://) and "internal links" (evernote:///) in Windows 11 Evernote 10.101.4 by various means,  though internal links do not now have a menu option.  (Federico said they "simplified a confusing process" :huh:)

My default browser is Thorium Version 121.0.6167.204 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Internal links work for me from other apps,  but not from within Evernote.

Note links open Evernote Web but don't load the note - I just get a white void where the note should be (gave it 5 minutes then gave up)

I swopped my browser for a (recently updated) Chrome - but got the same result.  Maybe a restart would have helped...

For my main purpose,  which is accessing Evernote notes from another app,  and even opening other apps from Evernote,   things are working.  Jumping between notes (AFAICS) not so much...

And ranking right alongside "what's the worst that could happen"... 

2 minutes ago, cooljake said:

it can't be that difficult

...clearly,  it can!

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:
4 minutes ago, cooljake said:

it can't be that difficult

...clearly,  it can!

why? it works always if you press ctl before you click the link

why not without opening a new window?

@gazumped it's a rhetoric question, please don't answer..my clear opinion: EN has the most stupid developers I've seen the last decades.. it's a mess, a few years ago they were top

• Level 5*

it works always if you press ctl before you click the link

??? I didn't try that (Doh!) and now both types of links are opening in a new window (sigh) because I set my preferences to always have web links open in the installed app.

I didn't see Ctrl+<click> mentioned anywhere - but that seems to make things work!

So now my confusion is - if it's all working... what's all the fuss for?  What exactly are we asking those super-talented developers to deliver?

(And hint - if you want something done,  bad-mouthing the techs who have to do it is not the best way to achieve your goal...)

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I didn't see Ctrl+<click> mentioned anywhere - but that seems to make things work!

So now my confusion is - if it's all working... what's all the fuss for?  What exactly are we asking those super-talented developers to deliver?

Ctrl+clicking to open a note link in a new window has always worked and has been the standard work around for ages. However if you want the target note to open in the main app you are stuck. Also ctrl+clicking does not work if you have the links displayed as "Title" or "Preview". 

I made a rather tongue in cheek comment in another thread yesterday that perhaps simply clicking the link should always open the target note in a new window as I can't remember to always ctrl+click links as links in every other app work with a normal click.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Mike P said:

I made a rather tongue in cheek comment in another thread yesterday that perhaps simply clicking the link should always open the target note in a new window as I can't remember to always ctrl+click links as links in every other app work with a normal click.

EN seems to be pretty resistant to irony. Extremely important and very easy to implement features (okay, not for bloody amateurs) have been completely ignored for months, because in today's rollout of 10.101.6 there is still not the slightest improvement to note links

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, cooljake said:

EN seems to be pretty resistant to irony.

On the other hand I think they're pretty good with facts - please can someone detail exactly what is required here?

I can create http:// and evernote:// links and jump to and from other notes and apps using either type (I set my browser prefs to 'always open in app' which AFAIK is a cookie...).  If clicking doesn't work,  Ctrl+click does.  [Win 11 / EN 10.101.6 / Thorium browser]

If there's a specific set of circumstances that doesn't work for you,  then please lay it out in detail and please send to feedback@evernote.com or Support!

24 minutes ago, gazumped said:

On the other hand I think they're pretty good with facts - please can someone detail exactly what is required here?

I can create http:// and evernote:// links and jump to and from other notes and apps using either type (I set my browser prefs to 'always open in app' which AFAIK is a cookie...).  If clicking doesn't work,  Ctrl+click does.  [Win 11 / EN 10.101.6 / Thorium browser]

If there's a specific set of circumstances that doesn't work for you,  then please lay it out in detail and please send to feedback@evernote.com or Support!

If you don't see these glaring errors in both the links and the navigation buttons, you are blind
How can I lay out in detail what colors are to a blind person?

• Level 5*

How can I lay out in detail what colors are to a blind person?

If you're content just to complain about the situation without actually detailing what you want to happen,  you'll be complaining a long time...

Just now, gazumped said:

If you're content just to complain about the situation without actually detailing what you want to happen,  you'll be complaining a long time...

okay, specially for you, although I think you still won't understand, what we are talking about

@AlbertR has written a post where he descriped in detail whats wrong and what instead should be the desired behaviour 

• Level 5*

you still won't understand, what we are talking about

I'll make a supreme effort...

So when @hartman_md says

I tried a tip shared by @cooljake, "click with ctl-button, a new window opens with the correct note."  Once the note is open, make an edit... anything, then manually sync with Ctrl+R.  Miraculously, the note's woes are gone.

...it seems like 

1. This is an issue that affects 'old' notes only
  2. There's a known work-around and
  3. "All" Evernote has to do is identify all old notes containing links and convert them to the 'current' format

- NB 3 may not be one single format while they're still fixing server backend processes,  and I think Evernote decided not to batch convert old notes to new formats for fear of melting the internet.

-or did I get that wrong again?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, gazumped said:

or did I get that wrong again?

yes, since it affects every note, old ones and new, randomly

Although it's hard to examine a software bug without knowing the source code I have the idea, that EN is confused by their own filter algorithm regarding links. They don't see that any link does not need any additional filter or tag or notebook-address or anything.. they just need to jump to the address that was created by the link

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

..it seems like 

1. This is an issue that affects 'old' notes only
  2. There's a known work-around and
  3. "All" Evernote has to do is identify all old notes containing links and convert them to the 'current' format

Sadly it doesn't only effect old notes. I've already listed some of the circumstances in which it fails for me. For completeness here is the list again:

• From a note in a filtered list
  • From a note in a list of search results
  • From a note in the "no note list view" obtained by clicking a note in shortcuts etc
  • For older notes found by scrolling through Notes
  • For older notes found by scrolling through a notebook

You are right that there is a workaround. If clicking a link did nothing it would be better, but instead it takes you somewhere fairly random - currently for me the most recent note created, previously Home was a popular destination. New users might naively expect clicking a link to a note would take you to that note, like it does in every other app.  I am pretty sure that EN developers also expect clicking a link would take you the target note. And the workaround only works if the link is displayed as text not as title or preview.

Links work perfectly if you only have recent notes and you only access notes containing links by scrolling through Notes or a notebook

I agree that links to new notes are more reliable but not if the parent note is in a filtered list or in search results.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Thanks for the clarifications.  Random(ish) issues are the hardest to pin down because the Support team have problems replicating all the circumstances in which they appear.  I already referred this thread to the team to underline that we're still having issues - but I suspect they were in the same position as me;  every test I made seemed to work perfectly - possibly because my test notes were all new notes.

I'd say bulk updating 'old' notes is not on the cards - there are too many (trillions) plus there are privacy issues.  And (AFAIK) Evernote haven't finished updating all server-based processes yet.

Meantime if anyone gets any new issues,  please advise Support.  Nagging them won't help,  but new information might.

• Like 1

I've reported a note link issue where notes are not in their own notebook. I sent a video of the problem and the dev I spoke to replicated it so I would think its on the list.

• Thanks 4
5 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I've reported a note link issue where notes are not in their own notebook. I sent a video of the problem and the dev I spoke to replicated it so I would think its on the list.

Thanks @Jon/t, and you have a history of making stuff happen so I am encouraged!

I took the effort to look a little more closely at the apparently lost links, and the following patterns can be observed
  1. every link finds the correct note with which this link was created, so far so good
  2. but if the correctly found note is in a different notebook than the note with the link
    EN panics and wants to use its artificial intelligence to use the current notebook (that with the link) as a filter
    but if it doesn't find the note in it, it simply shows the most recent note from the current notebook, which of course has no connection with the note being searched
  3. if a link refers to a note that is in the same notebook as the note with the link, the jump now works
    at least, because until recently all tags were taken also into account and the correctly found note was even then not displayed if it did not have the same tags
  4. the apparently random notes that appear when you want to jump back from the wrong note to the original note with the link also follow a recurring pattern
    here it jumps to the wrong note first, namely the most recent note in the current notebook
    but in the background EN apparently noticed the correct notebook
    because with the "Back" button it doesn't jump to the original note (the one with the link), but this time to the first note in the notebook you're looking for
I'm curious to see when the spoon bender will come up with this simple idea and finally fix these errors

The issue I have is that the create-app-note-link is now missing from the menu. Any reasons given for the removal, or intent to replace with an enhanced note-linking experience? No way I'm going to be able to remember yet-another keyboard shortcut, so it's effectively a deleted feature for me.

36 minutes ago, cooljake said:

every link finds the correct note with which this link was created, so far so good

So to clarify. Are you claiming that if the parent note and the target note are in the same notebook and there are no filters or anything applied then in all cases clicking the link in the parent note will go to the target note?

I have loads of examples where that claim is not correct. Generally nothing happens. For more recent notes it works fine.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, efx00 said:

The issue I have is that the create-app-note-link is now missing from the menu. Any reasons given for the removal, or intent to replace with an enhanced note-linking experience? No way I'm going to be able to remember yet-another keyboard shortcut, so it's effectively a deleted feature for me.

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C and the Mac equivalent copies the internal link to the clipboard.

55 minutes ago, efx00 said:

in Windows there are 5 ways to create a link
  1. with the shortcut ctl-alt-L which copy a note link to the clipboard => https://www.evernote.com/shard/...
  2. or ctl-shift-L which copy an internal note link to the clipboard => evernote:///view/...
  3. right mouse-button and copy note link which works like 1)
  4. main menu Note - Copy note link which also works like 1)
  5. main menu Note - Copy internal link which works like 2)
I prefer 2) and for sure I edited the default shurtcut ctl-alt-shift-C which my therapist has forbidden me to use and so I personnaly use ctl-shift-L 😉
39 minutes ago, Mike P said:

So to clarify. Are you claiming that if the parent note and the target note are in the same notebook and there are no filters or anything applied then in all cases clicking the link in the parent note will go to the target note?

I have loads of examples where that claim is not correct. Generally nothing happens. For more recent notes it works fine.

yes, in my case here with Windows 10 pro, but I wanted to say in my last post that there is a repeatable pattern with all the wrong notes: they are not random what I thought first, they are

1. in a different notebook => parent and target not the same notebook
  2. the wrong displayed note is the most recent note in the parent notebook => no random note
  3. if you click <- (Go back) you are not navigated to the parent note but even this displayed note is not random
  4. it is the most recent note in the target notebook

and the funny thing is, this note can be correct, if either the link refers to the most recent note or if the parent note is the most recent note

I've told my observations to the EN support team and come back if they respond

ticket [7DGZ62-E2X59]

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cooljake said:

the wrong displayed note is the most recent note in the parent notebook => no random note

I noted that as well in my post above:

7 hours ago, Mike P said:

it takes you somewhere fairly random - currently for me the most recent note created, previously Home was a popular destination.

So definitely some common experience here although this does seem to depend on the sort order of the notebook. It appears to be the first note which is obviously the newest if you have it sorted by date updated. 

2 hours ago, cooljake said:

and the funny thing is, this note can be correct, if either the link refers to the most recent note or if the parent note is the most recent note

For me, that seems to work for a bit but if it's a note with lots of links it soon gives up and goes to a different note.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

For me, that seems to work for a bit but if it's a note with lots of links it soon gives up and goes to a different note.

yes, we have common experiences here and surely the knowledge about the causes is no workaround

I just wanted to see clear what happens to describe this errors as accurate as possible to EN

Hope, we will soon see an update that solve this important issue 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mike P said:

Links work perfectly if you only have recent notes and you only access notes containing links by scrolling through Notes or a notebook

I agree that links to new notes are more reliable but not if the parent note is in a filtered list or in search results.

Some people have commented that editing a note makes it work. This isn't my experience. However with all my default sort orders set to creation date, if I update the creation date of a note that doesn't work, to a date this year it begins to work. If I update it to an older date it still doesn't work. Weird.

If on the other hand I have my sort orders set to update date, a simple edit of a note makes it work. 

• Like 1
On 8/6/2024 at 12:01 PM, Jon/t said:

ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+C is now the shortcut for the internal link

OK, works for me. May I point back to 049 - Paste internal links as complete HTLM link (with title and URL) into foreign applications?
I had the hope that whilst thinking about enhancing Internal Link functionality, this will be solved. It's not 😞 - so my issue (#3735902) remains unresolved...

6 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

CTRL+ALT+L will grab a web https link but not formatted as HTML. Not entirely sure I'd want that. If I copy a link I want the link and not some <a href> bits along with.

Think about this again isn't it the target application that pre-fetches the title when this happens, using the Open Graph data.

2 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Think about that again isn't it the target application that re-fetches the title and url when this happens, using the Open Graph data.

Thought about that many times - believe me 😉

Legacy worked and nearly all other know applications (that may cut a link to the clipboard) work this way. Try the following:

Background: The clipboard can receive data in many different formats

• plain text ("https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/...")
  • HTML links (<a href="https:...">visible text</a>)
  • images (als PNG or whatever you cut...) - not discussed here...
  • application specific formats not discussed here...

The receiving application decides which format can be used to show the best result:

• If it supports HTML (like Word, Excel, Evernote, ...), it takes the HTML link
  • If not (like Notepad, ...), it takes the plain text

But NO receiving application will ask back the web server to re-fetch a site title if it gets only plain text that looks like a web address

• ... with one exception 😉
    • Evernote tries to do that: if it receives an URL that starts with "https://www.evernote.com/shard/<your account id>" ...
    • If the complete URL matches a note within your account, the text is changed to a note link (because its title is known locally)
    • If not, you will see only the URL text (with no link behind)

But this high-sophisticated behaviour of EN is completely un-necessary ...

• ... if EN would do what all others do: Simply paste information in nice formats to the clipboard und use HTML links from there...

OK, they know what they do (otherwise they wouldn't have implemented it this way).

• But with all that knowledge, they might go one step further and do what good-old-Legacy-developers already did
  • And in case they're no more on board: RTF(windows programming)M 🙏
    • ... I'm sure this all is true also for MAC and hopefully other operating systems...

On 8/16/2024 at 3:21 AM, Mike P said:

if I update the creation date of a note that doesn't work, to a date this year it begins to work. If I update it to an older date it still doesn't work. Weird.

Weird indeed! I never noticed you could edit the Created date... not sure why you would want to, but perhaps there are good reasons.

I tested this, but didn't get exactly the same result:

I found an old note ("note 1" (Updated 2018)) to which navigation didn't work via an internal link from another note ("note 2" (Updated 2024)), i.e., it navigated to the wrong note (whether random or a predictable pattern as @cooljake described, I'm not sure). 

I changed note 1's Created date from 2018 to 2024.  The link from note 2 now worked.

I changed note 1's Created date back to 2018 (original).  The link from note 2 still worked... different than what @Mike P experienced as I understand it.

NOTE:  After I changed the Created date of note 1, the Updated date remained current, i.e., 2024 - so I wonder if changing the Note info resulted in the note having been saved in the new format - with which these link issues seem to disappear - at least for me.

it's so ridiculous, the links still don't work 😡

Just checked internal links and note links and working as expected here. Try a log out and back in again.

8 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Just checked internal links and note links and working as expected here. Try a log out and back in again.

I logged out, logged in again, setup all lost configurations and what happens: NOTHING

the behaviour with links is a bit different than in 10.101.7 and yeah, sometimes, rather rare, newer links work

but often they still jump to random notes, not to the target

and, thanks god, sometimes but not always you reach the desired note by clicking "Go back"

What I want is very simple:

Links should ALWAYS work

do the spoon benders at EN only have apprentices who have retrained from bakers to programmers, on the recommendation of the employment office? 🤔

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, cooljake said:

do the spoon benders at EN only have apprentices who have retrained from bakers to programmers, on the recommendation of the employment office? 🤔

Working OK here so no idea. Maybe not being rude to folk could help???

46 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Working OK here so no idea. Maybe not being rude to folk could help???

okay, if you only want to use EN to manage your record collection, you might be satisfied with the limited and poor working functions or propably even be happy if you just want to save some of grandma's recipes.. I need a tool that I can work with professionally
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, 10.102.3 still shows unpredictable behavior for note links. Sometimes clicking a link works, sometimes there is a 10 second delay and the last modified note is shown instead of the linked note.

Problem seen on windows and web client.

• Like 3

I won't be able to logon to the desktop or web versions until the end of the week but does anybody actually understand the statement in the release notes? Whatever it means it certainly doesn't seem to be claiming to solve all the link problems.

• Fixes an issue where internal links no longer redirected to the correct note from the sidebar.
1 hora atrás, cooljake disse:

okay, if you only want to use EN to manage your record collection, you might be satisfied with the limited and poor working functions or propably even be happy if you just want to save some of grandma's recipes.. I need a tool that I can work with professionally

You're right. Evernote has been introducing a lot of bugs lately, causing inconvenience to many users who just want an app to be productive. These bugs are more disruptive to some users than others, depending on their level of use. What I don't understand is why you're here making fun of other users when you could be spending your precious time finding a better app. Why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I won't be able to logon to the desktop or web versions until the end of the week but does anybody actually understand the statement in the release notes? Whatever it means it certainly doesn't seem to be claiming to solve all the link problems.

• Fixes an issue where internal links no longer redirected to the correct note from the sidebar.

they speak English in the same manner as they program their application => rather poor 😆

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

What I don't understand is why you're here making fun of other users when you could be spending your precious time finding a better app. Why?

In my next life I'll be a good guy, promised 😉

• Level 5*

Folks,  before this thread degenerates into the usual sniping match between individuals,  may I remind you that there are short-fused moderators around who get upset when posts are not genuinely requests,  suggestions or (reasonably) polite gripes;  users who are just looking to stir up trouble should consider their options (and posts) very carefully...  -_-

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

My 2p....

I am now using a Windows 11 PC (yeah, I know, serves me right)
I installed the EN Windows App on it and ever since I couldn't log in, I get the error message attached...
Obviously it is incorrect as I'm on line submitting this post.
Before changing to Win11 I was using a Win10 PC and successfully running EN app and Web EN in a browser window both
of which suffered after an update (limiting note and notebook count amongst other things) which I regret applying ever since - I have 664 notes in 56 notebooks. I think that's when that error message started appearing so it's possibly erroneously caused by too many notes and notebooks.
After suffering many issues I started paying for EN in the hope I could log in and fare better and have recourse to submitting support requests for assistance. Because I can't log in I can't resync so assume that's why the error doesn't clear because it doesn't realise I now pay.

Anyhow I was then suffering from non-working internal links on the Web-EN and in the Windows App*.
I click on one of my internal links in a note and it now takes me to the wrong note in the wrong notebook. 😠 <grrr!!>

On the upside - the Win11-Web-EN lets me insert pictures, the Win10 doesn't, I get an error to say it can't and stores them in a local folder instead

* I manually updated (uninstall then install) the Windows app in the hope that would fix it - it didn't despite the optimistic message....

We’ve updated you to the latest version of Evernote
Evernote 10.102.3 has been installed and is ready to use.
Release notes
Fixes:
Fixes an issue where internal links no longer redirected to the correct note from the sidebar.

Mind you that says they fixed the "links from the sidebar", my links inside notes are the ones that don't work.
I can't see any links in my sidebar🤷‍♀️

I've just noticed if I follow an internal link and it takes me to the wrong note and I then click on the back arrow I go to the correct note, huzzah!! Nearly there, looks like a pointer error in the code there, shows how little testing they do....

Evernote error.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm on Win 11 and Evernote 102.x and in general its working fine even via my VPN.  The installed app is permanently open and I can add and edit notes as required.  Links are still hinky - the new "improved" versions are actually working less well for me with links,  but they're obviously fixing things so hopefully we'll get there soon.  If you're having issues I'd say use feedback@evernote.com to report them - you won't get an individual reply (apart from 'thanks') until they work things out anyway.

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm on Win 11 and Evernote 102.x and in general its working fine even

Seems I've overcome some trouble with 10.102.3 because I was offline for a short time 😉
I'm on 10.102.4, have tested my use cases and was firstly impressed how good this works now. 👍

In the meanwhile we met some (minor?) things that remain buggy. See 073 - Following internal links (by simple click) should re-use the current note window (and Alt <- -> should work as intended) for details.

1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

I'm on 10.102.4, have tested my use cases and was firstly impressed how good this works now. 👍

well, for me even in the latest EN version 10.102.4 the links still work crazy, but somehow predictable
Let me explain the error in this way:
  1. I move manually to notebook A to one of the notes inside with a link
  2. this link refers to another note in notebook B
  3. if I click this link, EN jumps to the last edited note of notebook B but not to the correct note
  4. if I now click the button "Go back" EN really jumps to the correct note of the link pressed before
  5. if I click another "Go back" EN jumps to the last edited note in notebook A but not to the origin note with the link
  6. finally if I click "Go back" the third time I will be redirected to the note where I came from => 1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still not solved... 10.102.4 shows unpredictable behavior for note links. Sometimes clicking a link works, sometimes after a 10 seconds delay  the last modified note is shown instead of the linked note (all notes in the same notebook)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, eric99 said:

Still not solved... 10.102.4 shows unpredictable behavior for note links. Sometimes clicking a link works, sometimes after a 10 seconds delay  the last modified note is shown instead of the linked note (all notes in the same notebook)

As mentioned before on this forum, CTRL-click always seems to open the correct note

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

So far today,  it goes to the top note in the corresponding folder and the back arrow gets me my desired link.  So still not right but a work-around.

looks like a race condition

On 8/21/2024 at 11:12 AM, eric99 said:

not solved in  10.102.7

Also having problems with internal links. For new links, Hookmarks is a program  that currently works in EN as well as other places - it may become my default workflow.

On 8/21/2024 at 3:33 AM, cooljake said:

links still work crazy, but somehow predictable

I'm seeing exactly this as well. The only observation I'll add to your sequence 1-6 is the initial link clicked, I had to click twice; the first click did nothing.

Not completely solved in the windows client 10.103.3 : clicking a note link goes to the proper note now,  but it sometimes takes up to 10 seconds to get there! Also, the back button doesn't take me back to the referring note.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
53 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Not completely solved in the windows client 10.103.3 : clicking a note link goes to the proper note now,  but it sometimes takes up to 10 seconds to get there! Also, the back button doesn't take me back to the referring note.

I'm not really seeing any improvements. Most note links go to the most recently created note.

However it seems to work most of the time on the web version so I may need to do a database refresh on the desktop version.

UPDATE - The database refresh seems to have done the trick. However, links still do not work if the note is in a filtered list or a list of search results, so I will still have to ctrl+click most of the time.

10 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

Just updated to 10.103.3  quick test of around 6 links all opened correct notes and backlinks worked.

I wish my experience were the same. Maybe my setup is now unusual. Basically one notebook with 6.5k notes. I tend to test using my master dashboard note which I have as a shortcut and therefore opens in the "no note list view". New notes generally work if I have the notebook sorted by created date but these stop working if I change the sort order to "Title".

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I wish my experience were the same. Maybe my setup is now unusual. Basically one notebook with 6.5k notes. I tend to test using my master dashboard note which I have as a shortcut and therefore opens in the "no note list view". New notes generally work if I have the notebook sorted by created date but these stop working if I change the sort order to "Title".

I confirm (Win11 - EV 10.102.7)

For me clicking the note link brings me always to the first note of the the correct notebook, but not the correct note.
Then clicking the back arrow brings me to the correct note.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

I spoke a tad too soon, Mike; certainly, the first six worked as they should; however, now that I have had a few more, it is a bit hit or miss. Most open the correct note, but there are a few that don't.  I will continue with Contol+Click, as I can live with that unit until it is properly fixed.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

it is a bit hit or miss.

I think I can now see the pattern - the target note needs to be towards the top of the notebook in whatever sort order I have at the time. I can make all my links fail by simply changing the sort order to increasing creation date (old notes at the top) as none of the links I use regularly are to very old notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1