MORE MISSING ATTACHMENTS (brought to you with love by Bending Spoons)

Among the plethora of disastrous changes they've made us all experience while enduring their live testing on us, I think this one is the most compelling reason why they can't be trusted with our valuable data.  At this point I think I have submitted at least 3 bug reports & requests for a fix, all of which have not been answered or addressed.

How many of you have gotten this photo of a waterfall when trying to open an attachment?  I've never taken nor had that image on my phone before.

Today I saw a new one: My attachment had a little 'sad face' emoji and was titled 'couldn't load attachment'.

Of course neither of these was amusing while I was trying to open my attachments on a job site!

EN 1.jpg

EN 2.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Among the plethora of disastrous changes they've made us all experience while enduring their live testing on us, I think this one is the most compelling reason why they can't be trusted with our valuable data.  At this point I think I have submitted at least 3 bug reports & requests for a fix, all of which have not been answered or addressed.

How many of you have gotten this photo of a waterfall when trying to open an attachment?  I've never taken nor had that image on my phone before.

Today I saw a new one: My attachment had a little 'sad face' emoji and was titled 'couldn't load attachment'.

Of course neither of these was amusing while I was trying to open my attachments on a job site!

EN 1.jpg

EN 2.jpg

Holy *****, this is ridiculous...

I've never had the wrong attachments/pictures show up. I reguarly have attachments/pictures not loading or gone... 😞 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

I've never had the wrong attachments/pictures show up. I reguarly have attachments/pictures not loading or gone... 😞 

gone? Seriously?

never ending loading attechments: deactivate wlan, use cellular - it works immediately

but gone... Is another level 😞

• Sad 2

Yeah. There is a chance it is of the begin time of Bending Spoons owning Evernote. At that time attachments got lost regularly. They knew about it. Lots of threads. They fixed it in close dialogue with users.

Currently I experience a lot of out of date hourglass-circles, which do appear much later on, old notes with still attachments missing because they got lost in the past, and copy-paste problems of loosing images forever (not showing up forever).

I don't know what's what right now, but summarizing all these things are true at the same time and some issues are certainly current, #1 like the slow loading, #2 the loosing data when pasting, and #3 old notes having attachments lost forever.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
39 minutes ago, MvdH said:

Yeah. There is a chance it is of the begin time of Bending Spoons owning Evernote. At that time attachments got lost regularly. They knew about it. Lots of threads. They fixed it in close dialogue with users. Currently I experience a lot of out of date hourglass-circles, which do appear much later on, old notes with still attachments missing because they got lost in the past, and copy-paste problems of loosing images forever (not showing up forever). I don't know what's what right now, but summarizing all these things are true at the same time and some issues are certainly current, #1 like the slow loading, #2 the loosing data when pasting, and #3 old notes having attachments lost forever.

i don't want to hear that, honestly. because i trust EN so much on my daily routine.

what i know is that whenever notes and attachments are not loading, i turn off WLAN and the page loads immediately (via cellular).

and i just remember: i was confused last time when i read an old note / book summary - somewhere in the middle ALL chapters + pictures were doubled. like:

• chapter 1
    • text
    • text
    • picture
    • picture

this pattern across a long note, randomly doubled

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, EN-flow said:

I don't want to hear that, honestly. because i trust EN so much on my daily routine.

Sorry. A solution is to block me. 😁 Then you don't read this anymore. I trust Evernote just enough... But it's shaky. I hope for better times.... As a professional tool with a professional price. 👍💵 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I too am having issues with attachments. Both windows application and android application. Attachments either don't get attached or just show what would be an attachment but you cant open it, access ot at all. 

Any solutuons?

• Sad 1

I had a note that I duplicate daily and fill out on one machine get corrupted and the attachments get corrupted when it synced to the cloud. It seems to have started when I had issues with 10.87 and downgraded to a very old version and then upgraded again to troubleshoot.

Restoring the template note from an old version fixed this for me going forward. Corrupted attachments from what I can tell may be caused by a corrupted database on one device. In this case it was really my own fault for downgrading and upgrading a few times to work around a recent bug. 

3 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

In this case it was really my own fault for downgrading and upgrading a few times to work around a recent bug. 

Well, without the bug you wouldn't have downgraded, would you?

EDIT: Not in your case but if local databases get corrupted all the time then there might be something at fault with how they are synced, right?

I didn't have to nuke my local database in some 15 yrs of using legacy and for V10 the recommendation to clear locally and reload is as common as 'have you reinstalled Windows' was in former times...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Well, without the bug you wouldn't have downgraded, would you?

EDIT: Not in your case but if local databases get corrupted all the time then there might be something at fault with how they are synced, right?

I didn't have to nuke my local database in some 15 yrs of using legacy and for V10 the recommendation to clear locally and reload is as common as 'have you reinstalled Windows' was in former times...

I'm not defending it. Nothing should be getting corrupted. It's unsettling. 

• Like 3

No data loss, false alarm. Just went into the web client which is really the definitive source for Evernote since I can't recreate the database and those missing attachments I complained about were just fine... must be a weird sync error.

Edit: they are actually fine everywhere now, what a relief. Must have been a server side glitch.

• Thanks 1

It's such a relief, they were stupid little images built into an Evernote template but to see any data disappear is unsettling. I came home today and those images that said Untitled Attachment are back the way they were... I can't get over how much better it feels to see everything intact. The releases this week seem to be primarily focused on fixing bugs.

Here's to more bugfix releases and less major changes for now. 🍻

57 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

It's such a relief, they were stupid little images built into an Evernote template but to see any data disappear is unsettling. I came home today and those images that said Untitled Attachment are back the way they were... I can't get over how much better it feels to see everything intact. The releases this week seem to be primarily focused on fixing bugs.

Here's to more bugfix releases and less major changes for now. 🍻

With that said, I went back to my 2022 taxes... hoping I'd have same result on Web... NO FREAKING WAY!
More missing attachments...  (RANDOMLY, HERE, THERE, EVERYWHERE)
I somehow need a report from BS of which all notes are missing attachments!
THIS IS INSANE!!!  WHAT AM I GOING TO DO... SO MUCH WASTED TIME AND WORK
MUCH IS UNRECOVERABLE)

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 9.29.12 PM.png

• Sad 3

@FredJ Sorry, that is unsettling for sure. Just a thought, when this happened I also moved the affected notes from their original notebook to another and then back where they belong and then later on they were fine. I'm not sure if that did anything but perhaps you can try that and then wait a while to see if the attachment comes back.

It probably won't help but is worth a try if you don't have a working copy in the note history.

3 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

@FredJ Sorry, that is unsettling for sure. Just a thought, when this happened I also moved the affected notes from their original notebook to another and then back where they belong and then later on they were fine. I'm not sure if that did anything but perhaps you can try that and then wait a while to see if the attachment comes back.

It probably won't help but is worth a try if you don't have a working copy in the note history.

I've kept everything in one notebook forever... but yes, worth a try, if i could get a list of which notes contain UNTITLED ATTACHMENTS.  I can't manually go thru 3300+ notes.  

29 minutes ago, FredJ said:

I've kept everything in one notebook forever... but yes, worth a try, if i could get a list of which notes contain UNTITLED ATTACHMENTS.  I can't manually go thru 3300+ notes.  

I'm not certain it will help you, I did this hours ago and it did nothing-- then I came home tonight and everything was fine. Granted the attachments were showing on one device and that was the device I did the move on. It was really strange.

FredJ

I feel your pain.  I'm still finding notes with 'missing attachments', spinning circles and duplicate or triplicate content.  Nevernote has turned into a true cluster-FK under the direction of this company.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I'm not certain it will help you, I did this hours ago and it did nothing-- then I came home tonight and everything was fine. Granted the attachments were showing on one device and that was the device I did the move on. It was really strange.

But the other thing is, that if this really is the case, they should be able to run a backend process that fixes all this stuff once and for all, and get it done.  Surely they'd be able to scan for untitled attachment in their database.

11 hours ago, FredJ said:

But the other thing is, that if this really is the case, they should be able to run a backend process that fixes all this stuff once and for all, and get it done.  Surely they'd be able to scan for untitled attachment in their database.

I would suggest you try moving the notes around or open a ticket. Mine came back, so I don't think it's lost forever.

6 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I would suggest you try moving the notes around or open a ticket. Mine came back, so I don't think it's lost forever.

I'm running a test right now on my 2022 income tax note... anxiously waiting.  

Any idea how to filter notes with problem?

9 minutes ago, FredJ said:

I'm running a test right now on my 2022 income tax note... anxiously waiting.  

Any idea how to filter notes with problem?

No if that fixed it you would need to contact support.

21 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

No if that fixed it you would need to contact support.

I can't believe this issue isn't completely on TOP of their list, knowing how sensitive people's data is.  Sounds like it's a pretty widespread thing to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, FredJ said:

I can't believe this issue isn't completely on TOP of their list, knowing how sensitive people's data is.  Sounds like it's a pretty widespread thing to me.

We all assume these bugs must be simple quick fixes, just change a line of code and bam fixed.

They aren't, many of these issues are likely very complex. I have a feeling RENT metadata sync is rolling out. I took at look at featuresRolloutConfig.json and it looks like RENT is being rolled out right now which is a major change and I have a feeling these issues are server side related to that in development feature.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

@FredJ Do a search for contains:attachment and skim through those. I went through all of mine and everything is intact.

That is a good thought, and I went to do that, but I still with that, have over 1,000 notes found so that's not reasonably do-able for me. Is there a way of filtering beyond that with contains an attachment 'named' untitled blah blah blah?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FredJ said:

That is a good thought, and I went to do that, but I still with that, have over 1,000 notes found so that's not reasonably do-able for me. Is there a way of filtering beyond that with contains an attachment 'named' untitled blah blah blah?

Not that I know of, but just use the down arrow and skim them. I did over 400 in 20 minutes. You can spend 45 minutes skimming your notes and anything missing an attachment throw into a notebook then let support know.

39 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Not that I know of, but just use the down arrow and skim them. I did over 400 in 20 minutes. You can spend 45 minutes skimming your notes and anything missing an attachment throw into a notebook then let support know.

I wish mine were that small and quick, but many are large, and many of the PDFs are displayed open (Evernote often opens them, even though i shrunk them), so it requires me doing a Cmd+F then searching for UNTITLED, on each of them.  I did a search for UNTITLED but it picks up lots of notes with that word in it, but NONE of the ones I need, thus i have to do the CMD+F then UNTITLED... pissed!

• Sad 2
11 minutes ago, FredJ said:

I wish mine were that small and quick, but many are large, and many of the PDFs are displayed open (Evernote often opens them, even though i shrunk them), so it requires me doing a Cmd+F then searching for UNTITLED, on each of them.  

See if this Boolean search helps you:

contains:attachment AND "Untitled"

17 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

See if this Boolean search helps you:

contains:attachment AND "Untitled"

I guess I added that with my edit, which was at the same time LoL... thanks... as I mentioned... (and I tried yours too, thanks!)...

Quote:
"I did a search for UNTITLED but it picks up lots of notes with that word in it, but NONE of the ones I need, thus i have to do the CMD+F then UNTITLED... pissed!"

1 minute ago, FredJ said:

I guess I added that with my edit, which was at the same time LoL... thanks... as I mentioned... (and I tried yours too, thanks!)...

Quote:
"I did a search for UNTITLED but it picks up lots of notes with that word in it, but NONE of the ones I need, thus i have to do the CMD+F then UNTITLED... pissed!"

Sorry, I honestly suggest you open a ticket with support and point them to your tax return. Less stress for you, put the ball in their court. Even if they don't answer you with my tickets I see the updating them internally a few times a day so it's possible you'll enter your ticket and maybe your attachments will reappear.

I was having an issue with tasks getting unmarked, opened a ticket, suddenly they started working and the ticket was closed.

1 minute ago, mackid1993 said:

Sorry, I honestly suggest you open a ticket with support and point them to your tax return. Less stress for you, put the ball in their court. Even if they don't answer you with my tickets I see the updating them internally a few times a day so it's possible you'll enter your ticket and maybe your attachments will reappear.

I was having an issue with tasks getting unmarked, opened a ticket, suddenly they started working and the ticket was closed.

Interesting (Thanks for your time and efforts!)

Interesting (Thanks for your time and efforts!)

No problem, keep an eye on your ticket. You'll see it'll update but no response. Likely its an internal note.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mackid1993 said:

No problem, keep an eye on your ticket. You'll see it'll update but no response. Likely its an internal note.

This fn company is so maddening these days! After half hour of loopedy-loop... see screenflow attached...
(And tried from multiple devices, etc).  I authenticated like 5 times, CAREFULLY...

• Sad 1

My experience with the web login process today was a disaster. They have obviously changed something because now I must login to the web version of the Evernote app in order to access the forums, which wasn't the case previously. I had to authenticate half a dozen times and then it wouldn't always load, even after starting the Evernote loading animation.Perhaps there's some additional server problem happening at EN. The web clipper was messed up earlier this week, too. Their reliability and performance team...isn't.

• Sad 1

@FredJ You are going to the wrong place. Here is the direct link.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

It worked for me right away.

To get there on your own go to http://help.evernote.com

image.thumb.png.69a37087d45465d7e28793bfe52480ed.png

They recently replaced the entire support site, it looks like the link you are using has not been updated yet. There are many ways to get to support to open a ticket, the way I showed you will work unless there is a bad session cookie in your browser in which case Bending Spoons is not at fault.

32 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

@FredJ You are going to the wrong place. Here is the direct link.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

It worked for me right away.

To get there on your own go to http://help.evernote.com

image.thumb.png.69a37087d45465d7e28793bfe52480ed.png

They recently replaced the entire support site, it looks like the link you are using has not been updated yet. There are many ways to get to support to open a ticket, the way I showed you will work unless there is a bad session cookie in your browser in which case Bending Spoons is not at fault.

Honestly, even following your 2 methods, after deleting ALL data & Cookies, I keep getting redirected back to my main Evernote Web account!

Sooo weird

Honestly, even following your 2 methods, after deleting ALL data & Cookies, I keep getting redirected back to my main Evernote Web account!

Sooo weird

I can't reproduce that. It sounds like something with your computer. Many of us have put in tickets. I just opened one last night and several last week and had zero issues. 

Maybe try a different dns server. I know it redirects to zendesk for a second. That's what they use for their ticketing system. Perhaps it's a dns issue. 

Other than being physically in front of your computer or connected over a remote session I'm unable to help you. 

Sorry!

14 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Sooo weird

That was my experience this morning, too. Tried to login to the forums directly and when it finally finished the login process it took me to my account in the web app instead of the forums. It then took another several attempts to access the forums, despite a) being logged in, and b) using a direct link. It kept feeding me back to the account home screen until finally it didn't. No idea what was different on that last try.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

That was my experience this morning, too. Tried to login to the forums directly and when it finally finished the login process it took me to my account in the web app instead of the forums. It then took another several attempts to access the forums, despite a) being logged in, and b) using a direct link. It kept feeding me back to the account home screen until finally it didn't. No idea what was different on that last try.

I just had that trying to get back into this forum, after clearing all my cookies and data, and I had to try about four times then magically it just showed up back in the forum here and said hello to me lol...  After absolutely no changes to my browser,  I looked and I'm back in.

duh

Screenshot_20240517-155348_Chrome.jpg

16 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I can't reproduce that. It sounds like something with your computer. Many of us have put in tickets. I just opened one last night and several last week and had zero issues. 

Maybe try a different dns server. I know it redirects to zendesk for a second. That's what they use for their ticketing system. Perhaps it's a dns issue. 

Other than being physically in front of your computer or connected over a remote session I'm unable to help you. 

Sorry!

I do understand, and I'm totally thankful for all the help you have given!  Much appreciated to have people like you on this forum!

• Like 1
On 5/17/2024 at 9:34 PM, FredJ said:

I keep getting redirected back to my main Evernote Web account!

Same here, wanted to use the forum but was logged out, tried to log in but was redirected to web client login.
Login didn't work (some error message) but returning to the forum I found I was logged in nevertheless. Not what I would expect (logged in without login) and contrary to the purpose of account security. 

On 5/18/2024 at 5:23 PM, Feitz said:

Same here, wanted to use the forum but was logged out, tried to log in but was redirected to web client login.
Login didn't work (some error message) but returning to the forum I found I was logged in nevertheless. Not what I would expect (logged in without login) and contrary to the purpose of account security. 

Unbelievable, they should be paying us to use this product, so very many hours wasted...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you are wasting hours to reach a website, how do you do it ?

Sitting in front of the screen, pecking in the URL every 15 seconds ? Repeat until good ?

If I can’t reach a website, it can have a few reasons: Something wrong with my computer, so I take my smartphone and try. Something wrong with my network / ISP, so I switch my smartphone to mobile data, and try again. 

Or the website may be down, I check with https://downinspector.com or any other website inspector. Done - less than „very many hours“.

Solving the issue may be another story - for this I indeed have wasted „very many hours“ in my life. Most of it I got rid off by dumping Windows, and I am still working on my home network. But this has nothing to do with EN.

I just had another note show up with a missing attachment. Going into note history and exporting the note, then reimporting the enex fixed it. @FredJ maybe give that a shot with your missing tax return.

5 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I just had another note show up with a missing attachment. Going into note history and exporting the note, then reimporting the enex fixed it. @FredJ maybe give that a shot with your missing tax return.

5 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Ya, thanks, I'll try that and report back (might be couple of days)

• Like 1

Today I lost a supercritical pdf that contains the timesheets of my employees. I have been adding to it every 2 weeks for years. It simply disappeared.  I tried restoring the note, looking at historical versions, looked through trash, tried other devices or EN web etc.  Nope, it was gone.  Very worrisome.  I initially assumed that I must have done something stupid until I saw this thread  

• Sad 2
8 hours ago, idoc said:

Today I lost a supercritical pdf that contains the timesheets of my employees. I have been adding to it every 2 weeks for years. It simply disappeared.  I tried restoring the note, looking at historical versions, looked through trash, tried other devices or EN web etc.  Nope, it was gone.  Very worrisome.  I initially assumed that I must have done something stupid until I saw this thread  

How many versions do you have in the note history and what is the oldest history date? Does it align with your expectations for that note? If not, maybe you're looking at a duplicate note or something?

today an employee of mine came in to show me that two of her pdfs within a note were now saying "untitled attachment".  I can't find the original pdf no matter what I do.  Simply disappeared.  This is very concerning.  I've used EN for over 10 years and even though there were problems from time to time I really don't remember losing entire documents.  This is the third attachment that we've lost in two days.  I'm hoping against hope that they re-appear as someone above reported.  The missing pdfs are in a note that has 9 pdfs ie: the first 7 are there and are WNL, but the last two are now saying "untitled attachment" and can not be opened, moved etc.  I initially thought I could move them to the desktop and try reconstituting them with another pdf program, but no luck.

P.S: I should also mention that in the past this was not a great concern because I was easily able to export all the attachments within an entire notebook into a windows directory.  From there I could manipulate them with Adobe Acrobat, combine them or export them into Gdrive and they would remain as a backup.  This was a very easy process of a few minutes and a great safeguard against losing critical documents.  After Legacy that no longer worked.  I won't hijack this thread with that issue but suffice it to say that there is no longer an easy way of doing that.  So now when I lose a critical document it's really lost with no easy recovery.

33 minutes ago, idoc said:

today an employee of mine came in to show me that two of her pdfs within a note were now saying "untitled attachment".  I can't find the original pdf no matter what I do.  Simply disappeared.  This is very concerning.  I've used EN for over 10 years and even though there were problems from time to time I really don't remember losing entire documents.  This is the third attachment that we've lost in two days.  I'm hoping against hope that they re-appear as someone above reported.  The missing pdfs are in a note that has 9 pdfs ie: the first 7 are there and are WNL, but the last two are now saying "untitled attachment" and can not be opened, moved etc.  I initially thought I could move them to the desktop and try reconstituting them with another pdf program, but no luck.

P.S: I should also mention that in the past this was not a great concern because I was easily able to export all the attachments within an entire notebook into a windows directory.  From there I could manipulate them with Adobe Acrobat, combine them or export them into Gdrive and they would remain as a backup.  This was a very easy process of a few minutes and a great safeguard against losing critical documents.  After Legacy that no longer worked.  I won't hijack this thread with that issue but suffice it to say that there is no longer an easy way of doing that.  So now when I lose a critical document it's really lost with no easy recovery.

Try to export the affected note to enex then reimport it... see if that makes the attachment reappear.

23 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Try to export the affected note to enex then reimport it... see if that makes the attachment reappear.

I tested this now with my corrupted note...

but I still get this:

image.png.8312f193400396bd47e96df60bed914e.png

I think I can say goodbye to my missing attachments... It's been a couple of weeks, I keep checking repeatedly to see if they appear...

• Sad 1

Post-export and import, my previously missing images are still missing, with spinning circles in their place. I gave up on them as lost a while ago, so their continued absence doesn't come as a surprise.

I have been having the same problem for months,  then it worked and now back to not working.  I emailed Evernote and I  am told they are working on it and to be patient- have gotten several of those emails.  I keep hoping for a fix but I am starting to think Evernote is having to many problems.  Thinking I might need to replace evernote - sadly I have used it for over 10 years.  I used chat (before they took it away) and got some great help.  For some reason, customer support is pretty much non-existent now.  Good luck to everyone.  Sure wish this would get fixed.  

• Like 1

@Jon/t clued me in that they are working on Conduit which powers the local database. I wonder if this work is the explanation for these issues especially since in my case it's intermittent.

I'll get this:image.thumb.png.d1756b414127ff0b921b1688d20a52c4.png

then a few hours later the image reappears. Exporting the note and reimporting it also worked for me. I decided today to wipe all of my local databases and install 10.89.1 clean. I had to downgrade and upgrade several times to work around some bugs so I'm thinking one of my databases was corrupted and syncing bad data.

11 hours ago, eric99 said:

How many versions do you have in the note history and what is the oldest history date? Does it align with your expectations for that note? If not, maybe you're looking at a duplicate note or something?

I don't have any versions of it because the note disappeared!  Every two weeks (for years) I've been going to that one note which contains a large pdf.  I open the pdf and then attach to it the last employee payroll.  Every year I consolidate it and store it on Gdrive.  Yesterday I went to the same note and it was gone.  The pdf was not in trash or lurking anywhere else in EN.  I tried looking for it in different devices, on EN web etc.  Just gone.  Since everything in my office is scanned and uploaded to EN I don't even have a backup of this missing info.  A big mess.

13 minutes ago, idoc said:

I don't have any versions of it because the note disappeared!  Every two weeks (for years) I've been going to that one note which contains a large pdf.  I open the pdf and then attach to it the last employee payroll.  Every year I consolidate it and store it on Gdrive.  Yesterday I went to the same note and it was gone.  The pdf was not in trash or lurking anywhere else in EN.  I tried looking for it in different devices, on EN web etc.  Just gone.  Since everything in my office is scanned and uploaded to EN I don't even have a backup of this missing info.  A big mess.

This sounds like something different, no one has had a note completely disappear yet just some attachments. I don't suppose you've checked the trash. Is it possible that the title of the note was changed or it was moved? Have you done a search for the content in the note?

4 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

This sounds like something different, no one has had a note completely disappear yet just some attachments. I don't suppose you've checked the trash. Is it possible that the title of the note was changed or it was moved? Have you done a search for the content in the note?

I misspoke.  The note was there, but there was no attachment  in the note.  Tried all the usual tricks but could not get the attachment back.

9 hours ago, idoc said:

The note was there, but there was no attachment  in the note.  Tried all the usual tricks but could not get the attachment back.

I hardly dare to ask you as an experienced Evernote user...
If the note itself is available, you have a history. Did you try to restore an older version from history?

BG: In all cases so far (*), an attachment was lost only in the current note (and saves of the current one). Older history records contained (maybe outdated - but accessable) attachments.

(*) My "use case"s to loose attachments seem to be the annoying behavior of the note editor: Former versions had a clear usage of the editing cursor - either cleary before or behind an attachment. In EN10 (especially when attachments are placed in bulleted or numbered lists and along with other stuff on the same line as possible in the past) the editing cursor gets hidden and the attachment is selected. If you type <DEL> or <BACK> by accident because you want to delete a blank line, the attachment is deleted... If you recognize that fast enough, you can UNDO (Ctrl-Z) the deletion. If not, you come in trouble... Because RTE syncs fast, your trouble spreads out to other clients... In some cases, there where 3-4 history records that reflected my fail (with lost attachment). But in all cases a saved note from before some days did contain it for sure.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

If the note itself is available, you have a history. Did you try to restore an older version from history?

BG: In all cases so far (*), an attachment was lost only in the current note (and saves of the current one). Older history records contained (maybe outdated - but accessable) attachments.

(*) My "use case"s to loose attachments seem to be the annoying behavior of the note editor: Former versions had a clear usage of the editing cursor - either cleary before or behind an attachment. In EN10 (especially when attachments are placed in bulleted or numbered lists and along with other stuff on the same line as possible in the past) the editing cursor gets hidden and the attachment is selected. If you type <DEL> or <BACK> by accident because you want to delete a blank line, the attachment is deleted... If you recognize that fast enough, you can UNDO (Ctrl-Z) the deletion. If not, you come in trouble... Because RTE syncs fast, your trouble spreads out to other clients... In some cases, there where 3-4 history records that reflected my fail (with lost attachment). But in all cases a saved note from before some days did contain it for sure.

This is my text to support with all hacks I know...

For the last 2 months or so, I've been experiencing several times a week that attachments don't show up in my notes. And even after a week or two, they still haven't appeared.

Same problem on Windows, online account and also on Android. So the problem is probably on the server.

There's still a blue wheel spinning, but nothing is loading.

I have tried all of these options:
- CTRL+R, with
- export note from history

- export note to ENEX / HTML and reimport back

None of this helped…

I didn't always check when the original note was created, but the last one I checked was definitely already created in v.10 (so I guess I'm ruling out the problem of notes still made in Legacy)

And it also happened with notes created only 1-2 days before I subsequently opened them.

Usually they are screenshots of screenshots and then CTRL+V directly into Evernote.

And screenshot software was direct form Evernote, or Lighthot or Snagit… 

18 minutes ago, ferol said:

This is my text to support with all hacks I know...

For the last 2 months or so, I've been experiencing several times a week that attachments don't show up in my notes. And even after a week or two, they still haven't appeared.

Same problem on Windows, online account and also on Android. So the problem is probably on the server.

There's still a blue wheel spinning, but nothing is loading.

I have tried all of these options:
- CTRL+R, with
- export note from history

- export note to ENEX / HTML and reimport back

None of this helped…

I didn't always check when the original note was created, but the last one I checked was definitely already created in v.10 (so I guess I'm ruling out the problem of notes still made in Legacy)

And it also happened with notes created only 1-2 days before I subsequently opened them.

Usually they are screenshots of screenshots and then CTRL+V directly into Evernote.

And screenshot software was direct form Evernote, or Lighthot or Snagit… 

@ferol If you inspect the enex in a text editor do you see something like? If so try importing the enex into Joplin or Obsidian and see if your missing attachments are there?

<resource>
      <data encoding="base64">
        ...base64 data

</data>
      <mime>image/png</mime>
      <width>745</width>
      <height>210</height>
      <resource-attributes>
        <file-name>img.png</file-name>
        <source-url>...-</source-url>
      </resource-attributes>
    </resource>

3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Your confidence in my analytical skills is misplaced!  I did not initially check the version history.  I stared with horror at the note with the missing attachment and then started frantically to search throughout EN thinking I had somehow brought up the wrong note and the correct one was somewhere else.  I then went through all sorts of efforts to find it in the web version, other devices etc.  I then retrieved an older version that I had saved to Google drive and rebuilt the pdf from the last 4 months of scraps that I could find.  In short, I did everything except the proper thing ie:check version history and restore.  Based on these threads I now have learned some new tricks such as exporting the enex out and then reimporting it back in; trying to open it in another enex editor etc.  I don't think this was an issue of inadvertently deleting the attachment since my employee experienced a loss of two attachments the following day.  In both cases, we had not lost an attachment in the last several years.

• Like 1
Just now, idoc said:

Your confidence in my analytical skills is misplaced!  I did not initially check the version history.  I stared with horror at the note with the missing attachment and then started frantically to search throughout EN thinking I had somehow brought up the wrong note and the correct one was somewhere else.  I then went through all sorts of efforts to find it in the web version, other devices etc.  I then retrieved an older version that I had saved to Google drive and rebuilt the pdf from the last 4 months of scraps that I could find.  In short, I did everything except the proper thing ie:check version history and restore.  Based on these threads I now have learned some new tricks such as exporting the enex out and then reimporting it back in; trying to open it in another enex editor etc.  I don't think this was an issue of inadvertently deleting the attachment since my employee experienced a loss of two attachments the following day.  In both cases, we had not lost an attachment in the last several years.

I'm thinking this is a rendering issue related to the database changes being made. I'm curious if someone having this problem can test exporting an affected enex, opening it in Notepad++ and converting the Base64 data back into their file to see if that aids in recovery as a workaround. That would also prove no data is lost and this is a rendering bug.

I'm thinking this is a rendering issue related to the database changes being made. I'm curious if someone having this problem can test exporting an affected enex, opening it in Notepad++ and converting the Base64 data back into their file to see if that aids in recovery as a workaround. That would also prove no data is lost and this is a rendering bug.

Those attachments just aren't there...
I tried to export it as HTML. If they were there, they would be exported with the other attachments, which are not missing in the note, to a separate folder. 

I tried opening the ENEX in Notepad.... but I can't get anything out of it. I don't know what to do with Base64... I don't want to solve it. It wasn't vital... yet...

But if you want, here's the missing file, you can play around:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oroyudb2jzc5scy0w14iv/Thunderbird-nastavenia.zip?rlkey=dvewgs0jjnqsaq4ddt176kteu&dl=0

4 minutes ago, ferol said:

Those attachments just aren't there...
I tried to export it as HTML. If they were there, they would be exported with the other attachments, which are not missing in the note, to a separate folder. 

I tried opening the ENEX in Notepad.... but I can't get anything out of it. I don't know what to do with Base64... I don't want to solve it. It wasn't vital... yet...

But if you want, here's the missing file, you can play around:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oroyudb2jzc5scy0w14iv/Thunderbird-nastavenia.zip?rlkey=dvewgs0jjnqsaq4ddt176kteu&dl=0

I just dm'ed you your missing images.

13 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I just dm'ed you your missing images.

Thanks, but there was 4 images..... 2 is lost:

image.thumb.png.42b3cb1957ed9b08e764d0877e8cee34.png

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, mackid1993 said:

Yup, I confirmed. They are not in the enex. I only see 2 images in there.

already resting in a digital grave :))))

• Sad 1

Well we need someone to really inform Bending Spoons about this. @Jon/t this is legitimate data loss. I examined the source code of @ferol's enex files and they only contain 2 images not 4 like they should. Is there any way you can raise these concerns with the Bending Spoons team through your expert channels. Data loss in any form is very bad. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Well we need someone to really inform Bending Spoons about this. @Jon/t this is legitimate data loss. I examined the source code of @ferol's enex files and they only contain 2 images not 4 like they should. Is there any way you can raise these concerns with the Bending Spoons team through your expert channels. Data loss in any form is very bad. 

Yeah, I can confirm that: I used my html4ever to convert @ferol's enex file to html and got 2 errors for the missing images:

Thunderbird nastavenia
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 7c1d8c729a0a5792c1a7422e823817bc
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 62aba1b64443d916f97b45ec76b2567d

Errors=2   totalNotes=1, totalLinks=0, invalidLinks=0

7 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Yeah, I can confirm that: I used my html4ever to convert @ferol's enex file to html and got 2 errors for the missing images:

Thunderbird nastavenia
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 7c1d8c729a0a5792c1a7422e823817bc
      Error:  resource not found with hash: 62aba1b64443d916f97b45ec76b2567d

Errors=2   totalNotes=1, totalLinks=0, invalidLinks=0

@Federico Simionato can we please get this looked in to....this is a serious issue.

45 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

@Federico Simionato can we please get this looked in to....this is a serious issue.

So glad some higher-ups are believing this!

I hope they respond!  So much trust rests on on this issue!

On 5/20/2024 at 10:06 PM, mackid1993 said:

On 5/20/2024 at 10:06 PM, mackid1993 said:

• Thanks 1
Just now, FredJ said:

So far no higher ups have said anything. I'm hoping someone will see this. I've been tweeting quite a bit and tagging them trying to get someone's attention

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I'm now exporting all my notes to enex and will check it with my html4ever tool for any inconsistency.

edit: I'm lucky, no missing attachments or other inconsistencies found 🙂

Edited by eric99
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

@gazumped Maybe you can flag this thread so the forum admins see it. This needs to be investigated by Bending Spoons. 

Not even sure that flagging threads is having any effect at the moment,  but I'll try...

• Sad 1
32 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Not even sure that flagging threads is having any effect at the moment,  but I'll try...

Thanks. We need to get Federico's attention. This is frightening that this is happening to people. 

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hopefully someone can get Bending Spoons to see this. I opened his enex files in a text editor and two images were gone!

So I imported one of @ferol's notes and it looked just like mine, except about 12 hours later my attachments came back. I heard from @Jon/t work is being done on conduit so perhaps that is causing an issue where attachments aren't loading. If they aren't loading they can't export into an enex file.

Here is my next test, download https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup

Run the following commands:

evernote-backup init-db -> follow the prompts to login

evernote-backup sync -> wait for the database to fully download, this may take some time

evernote-backup export -> this will export enex files for all notebooks

Then import the enex file containing an affected note and see if the attachments are there. On Windows if antivirus barks, it's a false positive make an exception. This should bypass the changes made to conduit and if the data is on EN's servers pull a copy of it. This will rule out server side data loss vs client side bug.

I find the recent activity in this thread rather comical, especially now that some of the 'preachers' are also experiencing some of the same problems many MANY of us pointed out months ago (and why I started this thread on May 3rd).

Do you really think, as paying users no less, that any of us should be forced to hope that "someone can get Bending Spoons to see this"?  I've spent dozens of hours reproducing, documenting & reporting problems like these to them through every legitimate means possible, and yet here we are today still hoping & praying that somehow they will just miraculously fix everything they've broken.

• Confused 1
Just now, enfan-01 said:

I find the recent activity in this thread rather comical, especially now that some of the 'preachers' are also experiencing some of the same problems many MANY of us pointed out months ago (and why I started this thread on May 3rd).

Maybe instead of finding things comical, look for solutions. I haven't been directly affected, my attachments reappeared so I could easily nope out of this thread, but instead I've been digging into other user's enex files and spamming Federico on Twitter. No need for the negative attitude.

I proposed bypassing conduit and pulling a clean database using evernote-backup to see if the missing data is present. Perhaps you could try that and see if it helps narrow down the cause so we as a community can have some peace of mind and find a solution. Isn't that the purpose of a community forum rather than being hostile?

• Like 5
6 hours ago, FredJ said:

Test in progress...

Currently waiting to see results... 

Personally, I don't have the time capacity to test such different options to access my own data from the Evernote server....

So I am not going to interfere with the wrong notes and I will see if they will be corrected in the future. I will let you know then.

I don't know what I should do with my Evernote subscription. I also don't know where to start to make my point. I don't understand the logic of the BS bug fixes. I am using a Macbook and an iPhone. I have a big plants database with 1 picture (jpg files appr, 2-3 Mb each) and text in every note. For navigation I rely heavy on the thumbnails in the list view. A few days ago 5 notes all of a sudden had an "untitled attachment" and I couldn't restore the pictures. I've tried a few workarounds from this forum (Thanks!!) but unfortunately it didn't help. 5 pictures gone and 5 thumbnails gone. 

(on my Mac) I deleted the "untitled attachments" in these 5 notes and replaced them with new pictures (I had to make new pictures). They show up in my Mac app but the thumbnail in the list view restored to the OLD thumbnails, 4 out of 5 times. The fifth note only showed that "grey page icon", it didn't refresh the thumbnail at all. 

(On my iPhone) The 4 new pictures didn't show up in my iPhone app. I could only see a spinning wheel on an empty page. The thumbnails also updated to the OLD thumbnail or no thumbnail at all.  The fith note synced OK but also with an old thumbnail. Today another picture disappeared on my iPhone, not on my Mac. 

On my Mac (b.t.w. both Mac and iPhone app are with the latest release) refreshing the thumbnails when changing a picture is still a hit - and - miss situation, absolutely NOT reliable. On my iPhone the list view thumbnails just don't refresh....but sometimes they do.....sometimes with the old thumbnail and sometimes with the new one. I just can tell when what will happen. 

For me EN has become one big puzzle.

@mackid1993 I don't have the knowledge and the skills to use commands. I'm a simple user who expects a certain degree of quality from s subscription based app. Sure, there will always be bugs. 

8 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Hopefully someone can get Bending Spoons to see this.

Pretty sure they've seen it.

It is very odd as it only half dozen folk seem to have the problem. I'm not seeing it at all and I spent some time at the weekend organising photos into notebooks and uploaded 300/400 images and I've checked and everything is expected. I also attach many client files every day and never had an issue.

My community is also a few thousand strong and no one has mentioned this, other experts have larger communities than me and there's no chatter about this happening on the expert forums. Guarantee you there'd be lots of chat if files were going missing!

I've asked the question and mentioned it but can't file a bug report as I can't reproduce it and send logs.

50 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Pretty sure they've seen it.

It is very odd as it only half dozen folk seem to have the problem. I'm not seeing it at all and I spent some time at the weekend organising photos into notebooks and uploaded 300/400 images and I've checked and everything is expected. I also attach many client files every day and never had an issue.

My community is also a few thousand strong and no one has mentioned this, other experts have larger communities than me and there's no chatter about this happening on the expert forums. Guarantee you there'd be lots of chat if files were going missing!

I've asked the question and mentioned it but can't file a bug report as I can't reproduce it and send logs.

why does the enex export tool silently ignores these errors? please ask EN to make the enex export throw decent error messages to the user in case it can't retrieve the attachment from the server.The user then at least knows what's missing and can try to recover it from history or backup

• Like 2