Collapsible sections coming to Evernote

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

First Rule of Computing - never be first to use an update...  ;)

First Rule of Business IT - never update on a Friday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm guessing the menu bar is probably only back because the implementation turned out too buggy to quickly patch and that we will see the hamburger menu reemerge soon. Just a guess though. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

That would constitute a pretty scary release and QA process…

I stand by my opinion: prio #1 would have to be to fix what's already there and is broken. Then add new features.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Has anyone noticed a lag in typing inside a note with many bulleted items?

I have a note with a few hundred bulleted items, and typing is very laggy in that note (and only in that note). This laggy/slow typing experience is present even if I collapse the whole bulleted list.

• Like 1

I replied to @Federico Simionato on X the following:

@fedesimio I would LOVE on the left of a note, a navigation column with all headers of that note, in a nested treeview (like Word offers). I would LOVE to be able to change the order of those sections through dragging, right-click copy to clipboard of a section, delete a section, etc.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, MvdH said:

I replied to @Federico Simionato on X the following:

@fedesimio I would LOVE on the left of a note, a navigation column with all headers of that note, in a nested treeview (like Word offers). I would LOVE to be able to change the order of those sections through dragging, right-click copy to clipboard of a section, delete a section, etc.

This would be great, but it seems to cross the border between a "note" and a "document." I wonder if Evernote will go there; but perhaps with the new sync structure the need to keep notes at a moderate length is no more.

• Thanks 1
On 3/15/2024 at 11:51 PM, weborican said:

Has anyone noticed a lag in typing inside a note with many bulleted items?

I have a note with a few hundred bulleted items, and typing is very laggy in that note (and only in that note). This laggy/slow typing experience is present even if I collapse the whole bulleted list.

Glad I'm not the only one! 10.80.3 absolutely destroyed Evernote's performance with some of my larger notes where the UI now freezes for tens of seconds at a time while I'm typing.

Didn't realize at first but this is absolutely because all of my multilevel bullet lists have become collapsibles (and I have a ton of them in my notes). Hopefully this gets fixed or I'll have to stay on .79 forever. Not sure if making all bullet lists collapsible by default makes too much sense. I'd prefer Notion's approach where bullet lists are bullet lists and toggle lists are toggle lists.

• Sad 1
20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This would be great, but it seems to cross the border between a "note" and a "document." I wonder if Evernote will go there; but perhaps with the new sync structure the need to keep notes at a moderate length is no more.

I feel that EN has started crossing the border between "note" and "microsoft/google suite" already though. For example with the new range of options for editing docs and tables, or with the integration of a calendar that can be connected to Outlook or Google Calendar. And now the collapsible menus (that make my life easier)! Thank you Evernote @Federico Simionato for the collapsible menus!! Honestly, this made my day! 🙌

• Like 4
On 3/17/2024 at 10:08 PM, affectski said:

Glad I'm not the only one! 10.80.3 absolutely destroyed Evernote's performance with some of my larger notes where the UI now freezes for tens of seconds at a time while I'm typing.

Didn't realize at first but this is absolutely because all of my multilevel bullet lists have become collapsibles (and I have a ton of them in my notes). Hopefully this gets fixed or I'll have to stay on .79 forever. Not sure if making all bullet lists collapsible by default makes too much sense. I'd prefer Notion's approach where bullet lists are bullet lists and toggle lists are toggle lists.

Same issue here. I use bullet lists extensively and the new version 10.80.x is completely unusable now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, alfredobinnie said:

How can a share a note (read-only) with collapsible sections?

When I share the note, the read-only-user cannot open a collpsed section... 

Collapsed sections are new,  as you can see.  If you expand the sections and re-share,  does that help?  Meantime we're mainly users here - please contact Support so they can feed this back to the developers.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• Level 5

Can confirm that a user opening a note shared "Read Only" can't open collapsed sections.

But oh the wonders of Real Time Editing - when I change the collapsing status in the donating account, they expand (and collapse again) in the receiving account as well. This happens in practically no time.

So it seems the collapsed status is seen as editing, and transferred to the viewing of shared notes as well.

If the receiving user has editing rights, he can collapse and expand the sections himself.

It is debatable if this is a bug, or just a consequence of introducing this feature.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It depends on the sharing level: Read only will see if collapsed or expanded, but can't toggle it himself. Edit shares can be toggled on either side.

At least this was what showed my test - using the installed client as donator, and web client sessions as receiving clients.

Yes, read-only can't toggle the collapsible sections, edit shares can. 

I produce big summaries for other people to look and I don't want them to edit. Sharing with collapsible sections expanded wouldn't work, as the summaries are big and I want them to choose what specific subjects they are looking for... 

Until now, it seems the only solution is to share the note on edit mode, and hope they don't edit them. But it would be great to have a "Read/expand only" option.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, alfredobinnie said:

Sharing with collapsible sections expanded wouldn't work, as the summaries are big and I want them to choose what specific subjects they are looking for... 

This feature is newly introduced.  What did you do before we had the feature?

• Level 5*

There's always the "/ New Linked Note" option.  Share a notebook by email address(es) create separate notes for your choices and keep them in the shared notebook.  Other people can then open the note(s) applicable to them as required...

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

This feature is newly introduced.  What did you do before we had the feature?

I know, and I'm glad Evernote improved recently. I wasn't using Evernote to share my summaries before. Or I would export the whole note as pdf... but it's not nearly as useful as letting people access my collapsibles

I am on Evernote for Windows and I have very long bulleted notes. The problem with collapsible sections, as other people have pointed out, is that typing becomes incredibly slow (to the point that the app is unusable) in very long bulleted notes with collapsible sections enabled -- it must be a RAM hog. There doesn't seem to be any way to turn collapsible sections off.

My old workaround was to downgrade to Evernote 10.79.3, the version before the collapsible sections were implemented. For a while I was not forced to upgrade to the latest version of Evernote (10.82.2 right now)  from this, but now I have been forced to do so, and there doesn't seem to be any way to downgrade again, at least not easily. If you get 10.79.3 from the web and try to install it, you are auto-updated before you can use the program.

The Evernote guy who posts here says that users shouldn't downgrade to previous versions. Well, yes, generally that is true, but sometimes a new feature will have unexpected side-effects for certain users (as in my case), or there will be "bugs" in the upgrade. There should be an ability to refuse updates, at least temporarily.

Does anyone have a work-around to my problem of slow typing on very large bulleted notes with the collapsible sections feature operating?

Could someone at Evernote work on fixing this? All that would be needed would be a toggle switch to turn the collapsible notes feature on and off.

Oh, also, the slow typing problem shows up in the web browser version of Evernote, so that's not a solution.

And also, my computer is Windows 11 with 16G of RAM, so it's not a problem with me having a really old computer or something. It's not like collapsing some bullet points should be a resource hog on par with a graphics-intensive video game.

My current in-Evernote workaround is to create a second small Evernote as part 2 of a first very large bulleted note, and do my typing on that one. But this is annoying and inconvenient, especially since I sometimes want to go back and edit what I have already typed in the very large note.

My other workaround is to work on my very large notes in OneNote. And potentially consider moving to OneNote permanently for everything. :(

• Thanks 1

Hi @Ulrich0!  Report it as a bug. Reply 3 times with concrete reproduction info and the description of your unworkable workflow. Be friendly with them and polite. That always helps to get people to want to help you and want to move your info to the right people in the company. After a few replies in a senseless bot-dialogue, you'll then get a real person handling your ticket (you see it as soon as replies of THEM appear in the dialogue of the ticket. That means a real person is typing to you.

Ask others in this forum who are bothered by this to also report it the same way. Keep your ticket open by replying to it when they close it. If enough people keep it in their scope of sight, it helps to get it higher on the priority list. That's the only influence you have on this.

Replying to the post of Federico on X (Twittter) on this will probably also have his attention, at least for a few seconds. 😉  He is the Product Owner of Evernote, who determines the priority of issues/features to pump in the developer pipeline.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Ulrich0 said:

I am on Evernote for Windows and I have very long bulleted notes. The problem with collapsible sections, as other people have pointed out, is that typing becomes incredibly slow (to the point that the app is unusable) in very long bulleted notes with collapsible sections enabled -- it must be a RAM hog. There doesn't seem to be any way to turn collapsible sections off.

My old workaround was to downgrade to Evernote 10.79.3, the version before the collapsible sections were implemented. For a while I was not forced to upgrade to the latest version of Evernote (10.82.2 right now)  from this, but now I have been forced to do so, and there doesn't seem to be any way to downgrade again, at least not easily. If you get 10.79.3 from the web and try to install it, you are auto-updated before you can use the program.

The Evernote guy who posts here says that users shouldn't downgrade to previous versions. Well, yes, generally that is true, but sometimes a new feature will have unexpected side-effects for certain users (as in my case), or there will be "bugs" in the upgrade. There should be an ability to refuse updates, at least temporarily.

Does anyone have a work-around to my problem of slow typing on very large bulleted notes with the collapsible sections feature operating?

Could someone at Evernote work on fixing this? All that would be needed would be a toggle switch to turn the collapsible notes feature on and off.

Oh, also, the slow typing problem shows up in the web browser version of Evernote, so that's not a solution.

And also, my computer is Windows 11 with 16G of RAM, so it's not a problem with me having a really old computer or something. It's not like collapsing some bullet points should be a resource hog on par with a graphics-intensive video game.

My current in-Evernote workaround is to create a second small Evernote as part 2 of a first very large bulleted note, and do my typing on that one. But this is annoying and inconvenient, especially since I sometimes want to go back and edit what I have already typed in the very large note.

My other workaround is to work on my very large notes in OneNote. And potentially consider moving to OneNote permanently for everything. :(

Got the exact same problem. I also downgraded to 10.79.3. I managed to prevent auto-update by preventing Evernote from writing to the folder where it tried to download the latest version (Users\[...]\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending).

@Kejero. THANK-YOU Kejero for the link to your suggestion on another thread, which fixed the problem for me.

Everyone just click the arrow next to "Turn off Auto Update" on Kejero's post above to open Kejero's suggestion, and subsequent discussion.

This problem is rendering Evernote unusable for anyone with a long, bulleted note. I was on the point of moving to OneNote -- I've already transferred all my folders and tried out the UI (which I don't like as much as Evernote). So I hope Evernote fixes the problem soon, and moves to a stable release+opt in experimental version model for future updates.

• Level 5

My Web client just updated to 10.83.4 when my computer restarted. In the release notes (they're back!): "Fixed a performance issue when typing in large notes." This should be downloadable for desktops at evernote.com/download. I don't have long notes with bulleted lists, so I can't test it, but for those who are having the problem it might be worth trying.

• Like 2

I just installed version 10.83.4 with claims to "Fixed a performance issue when typing in large notes"

https://evernote.com/release-notes

Although it does reduce the latency on large notes with many bulleted items, it doesn't completely eliminate it. I would say it is "adequate" for now, but I would like to see a "better" fix implemented in a future version.

• Like 5