New blog post: Evernote Free accounts will have fifty notes and one notebook

@Cyborg912, to respond to your question, the 50 note limit apparently includes notes that may be in your trash folder.  Try emptying your trash (assuming you don't need those notes anymore), and you might be able to add those ten additional  notes.

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, 0148 said:

it's not right to suddenly say you have to pay or you can't even move a note already created within the notebooks that have been there for years

Or possibly it's not right to let other people pay for what you are using free for years. Possibly it's right that, when you find something is giving you value, you pay for it.

4 hours ago, 0148 said:

It's not right to discount out us just because we don't pay for a very simple free service and don't need or want, and in my case, absolutely cannot afford to pay for a simple recipe filing system.

OTOH, if this was really all you used Evernote for, it was always overpowered for your purposes. Something free from Google or Microsoft might work just as well. But Evernote offers too many features, which have to be sustained at a considerable cost, for the most basic sort of recipe filing you describe.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Don't underestimate recipe filing.

We clip the original recipe, tag it, and then add own modifications to it, insert a table with some pictures taken at critical steps, with an explanation in the cell beside it, make changes to the ingredients, jot down which wine we tried, and so on.

It's a professional tool to assist with a Personal hobby, and who takes cooking serious will find many uses for EN with recipes. 

You can even record the Aaaahs and Ooooohs when it's finally served.

If used like that, anybody will understand that paying the price of a bottle of wine per month is hardly asking too much. Just to trash in a bunch of clips that will never been reproduced and enjoyed, it would be definitely too much.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If used like that, anybody will understand that paying the price of a bottle of wine per month is hardly asking too much.

I see we've moved from the cup of coffee analogy to the bottle of wine analogy. Please be prepared to be slammed by the cheap-wine-in-a-box partisans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

Actually as our day-by-day wine we drink wine from a collection of boxed white & reds. But it's not really cheap.

It is much better to share half a liter fresh "from the tap", than always having a rest of wine in a bottle, really too much to drink, but too precious to dump either.

And even while we are loving our experimental cooking, there are really not that many recipes that would profit from a wine.

Unless you follow the first rule of cooking: Get a glass of a decent wine and pour it into the cook.

Cheerio !

40147B79-1172-4FED-87D5-F8E487B464CF_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a48396b27198185973735be470cff2fb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It is much better to share half a liter fresh "from the tap", than always having a rest of wine in a bottle, really too much to drink, but too precious to dump either.

Wait … for two you have left over wine!?!  That never, and I mean NEVER happens in our house.  Maybe that explains some of your responses.  Drink more wine 😁.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually as our day-by-day wine we drink wine from a collection of boxed white & reds. But it's not really cheap.

My god is that German wine! Sounds almost as bad as English wine 😂

Drinking English wine now.... in a bottle... more than a month of Evernote 😂

• Haha 1

And while we are on the topic of wine from a box, the New York Times had a recent article on boxed wines that were better than plonk, and the carbon footprint of boxes vs bottles.  I'm still a bottle guy, myself, but my daughter is a box aficionado.

Vinnie

• Like 1
5 hours ago, VincentC said:

@Cyborg912, to respond to your question, the 50 note limit apparently includes notes that may be in your trash folder.  Try emptying your trash (assuming you don't need those notes anymore), and you might be able to add those ten additional  notes.

Vinnie

Thank you @VincentC. That just did the trick! I can add a new note now. Had 273 notes in my trash which I got rid of.

• Like 2

Evernote’s current pricing model starts with a magnum of Pinot Noir and goes up from there. Some of us would be content paying for just a basic bottle version. I hope BS considers offering a pared-down option before my subscription expires this spring. (No team access, no priority support, reduced upload volume per month…)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

I hope BS considers offering a pared-down option before my subscription expires this spring. (No team access, no priority support, reduced upload volume per month…)

D'you know I wrote to Elon a little while ago pointing out that I didn't need the 300 mile range,  or all the fancy gadgets,  I just wanted a Tesla to get me to the local shops and back at 10% of the current price.  He didn't even bother to be rude to me...

• Haha 5
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

D'you know I wrote to Elon a little while ago pointing out that I didn't need the 300 mile range,  or all the fancy gadgets,  I just wanted a Tesla to get me to the local shops and back at 10% of the current price.  He didn't even bother to be rude to me...

Wow, the last person on earth Elon hasn't been rude to.

• Haha 5

@gazumped, actually, we learned some years ago that Tesla was already doing this.  In the aftermath of a major hurricane that hit (as I recall...) Florida, Tesla announced that it would enable increased battery capacity on all Teslas in the region for a limited time because of the unavailability of charging.

Turns out, there is (was?) an option to buy a Tesla with increased range.  But they installed the same battery regardless of whether a buyer chose the option or not.  If you didn't pay for increase range, the car's software enforced the limit which Tesla was able to lift remotely when it chose to.

Essentially, you bought and paid for a car with a big battery, but only got a license to use part of it.    

I have no idea if this is still the case, btw. 

Kind of like buying a magnum of Pinot Noir but only getting a license to drink a glass...  😁

Vinnie

On 1/13/2024 at 2:33 PM, gazumped said:

Hey, at least Tesla offers a range of options. Granted, they run from very expensive to insanely expensive. Perhaps Bending Spoon folks are admirers. 

• Level 5*

Yeah, some computer manufacturers have done this across time. Ship the box fully loaded yet set to the purchase power. Buy an additional license later to access the additional juice   Updated with a remote connection.  Weird on a good day.  Makes for interesting vendor conversations. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

For field replacements, back in the day, if we ran out of a certain size HDD, or they stopped making a certain size and we had to purchase a larger size, you could software clip the HDD down to a specific size matching what was originally sold.  

• Level 5*

Yes, but this wasn’t a partitioning tool.  Customers were not aware that their replacement HDD was originally a larger size.  It was permanently clipped.

@PinkElephant @mackid1993 @gazumped

Hey guys, you may remember me from a couple months ago when I complained about Evernote limiting free users. I argued that this will cause many people to leave Evernote. Since we live in a free market, there will always be free options available. How's this change working out for Evernote?

Is the company profitable now? Did the company gain more users? Are speeds noticeably faster?

Within days, I switched all my notes over to Obsidian. I'm confident you all know what Obsidian is. I never heard about it until Evernote forced me to switch apps. And now I'm glad they did. It's better in every way. That's the beauty of a free market.

In my opinion, Evernote will continue struggling. In fact, this may have been the nail in the coffin. Time will tell. They're charging way too much in the wrong space. There are so many good and free apps out there.

I honestly wish you guys all the best. But wow, how can you even compete with Obsidian?

The high majority of Evernote users are (or rather, were) free. (Some estimates had that number as high as 90% of their users.) Basically getting rid of the free plan and moving it to a trial is going to mean that Evernote dumps the high majority of their users since most of them will leave because they don't want to pay the amount BS is asking. Some of them will stay and pay though and some will stay and try and make the trial limitations work long term (a crazy endeavor IMO).

Same with increasing prices - this will cause an amount of subscribers to leave.

Between those two strategies, obviously they are going to drop users overall. Gaining users cannot be part of their plan. Increasing profit is. Whether you are a fan or not of Evernote, I thought that part of losing users was at least obvious?

Also - no user in this forum is going to have any clue if that increase in profit is actually happening and BS hasn't said anything about it AFAIK and probably never will or at least for a while? No idea though.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, LiftHeavy said:

Hey guys, you may remember me from a couple months ago when I complained about Evernote limiting free users. I argued that this will cause many people to leave Evernote. Since we live in a free market, there will always be free options available. How's this change working out for Evernote?

Is the company profitable now? Did the company gain more users? Are speeds noticeably faster?

Within days, I switched all my notes over to Obsidian. I'm confident you all know what Obsidian is. I never heard about it until Evernote forced me to switch apps. And now I'm glad they did. It's better in every way. That's the beauty of a free market.

In my opinion, Evernote will continue struggling. In fact, this may have been the nail in the coffin. Time will tell. They're charging way too much in the wrong space. There are so many good and free apps out there.

I honestly wish you guys all the best. But wow, how can you even compete with Obsidian?

No one here but us users of Evernote. If you're looking for someone from Evernote to pop in and confess tearfully that they should have listened to you -- good luck somewhere, but not here.

If you've misread the coffin nails, though, will you come back in a year and admit that?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, LiftHeavy said:

I work in IT, primarily web development. I can write Markdown. I hated Obsidian.

• Basic functionality requires plugins supported by third parties than can just disappear.
  • I want to take notes, not write Markdown.
  • Poor document management, which is one of my key use cases, no OCR for one.
  • Sync costs $96 a year (I might as well just pay for Evernote). Not using Sync involves janky solutions like Dropsync that requires me to use my phone storage for every file I keep in Obsidian. In fact I think even with Sync there is no selective sync or cloud first option. Publishing notes costs another $96 a year which while I agree that feature can do a ton more than what Evernote is meant for, I can easily create a public link to any note and share it with any external user. 
  • To get all of the bells and whistles of Obsidian and still not have full feature parity with Evernote you're looking at $192 a year. Tack on $50 if I want to use it in my job as well as I do for Evernote.

Thanks for having nothing to do with Evernote, making only 13 posts in the forum, and coming back here 2 weeks later to tag a bunch of random people and troll us assuming we'll suddenly agree with you, abandon Evernote and migrate to another tool!

Enjoy Obsidian, I'll keep happily using whatever I want without arguing about it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

Also - no user in this forum is going to have any clue if that increase in profit is actually happening and BS hasn't said anything about it AFAIK and probably never will or at least for a while? No idea though.

Bending Spoons is a privately held company, they don't have to release any information about their revenue to the public unless they want to. Based on their recent acquisitions (yes two) I would say that they are starved for cash and about to put the last nail in their coffin like @LiftHeavy seemed to suggest. Evernote will likely close up shop tomorrow after Bending Spoons just dropped a few hundred million on two companies in a span of days.

@mackid1993 I appreciate the list you wrote even though I disagree with it.

No, I didn't come back to troll. I came back to share my findings with people; people deserve to know there's better alternatives out there. But by all means, continue paying hundreds of dollars for Evernote. It's your life. Do what you want. I'm literally pointing you to a better app, but you do you.

Yes, you have more posts than me. I guess that means you're right and I'm wrong. I concede. You win this round.

20 minutes ago, LiftHeavy said:

@mackid1993 I appreciate the list you wrote even though I disagree with it.

No, I didn't come back to troll. I came back to share my findings with people; people deserve to know there's better alternatives out there. But by all means, continue paying hundreds of dollars for Evernote. It's your life. Do what you want. I'm literally pointing you to a better app, but you do you.

Yes, you have more posts than me. I guess that means you're right and I'm wrong. I concede. You win this round.

The Evernote forums is a place to discuss Evernote. I suggest you discuss Obsidian in their community. Thanks!!

Also you're pointing out a better app for YOU. Not for me. That's pretty arrogant of you.

Everyone has different use cases and workflows. Not everyone works the same.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

The Evernote forums is a place to discuss Evernote. I suggest you discuss Obsidian in their community. Thanks!!

This thread was created to discuss the limiting of free accounts. I suggest that if Evernote is truly the better app, then there's no need to censor posts about alternative apps. If Evernote is truly the better app, then it should stand its ground against criticisms.

44 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Also you're pointing out a better app for YOU. Not for me. That's pretty arrogant of you.

A wise man once said that a minivan is better than a Ferrari if you have a family of 5. You continue driving your minivan. I'll continue driving my Ferrari.

1 minute ago, LiftHeavy said:

This thread was created to discuss the limiting of free accounts. I suggest that if Evernote is truly the better app, then there's no need to censor posts about alternative apps. If Evernote is truly the better app, then it should stand its ground against criticisms.

This thread was to notify Evernote customers about changes to a free plan. Some people who replied have an entitlement problem. If you aren't a paying customer, you aren't entitled to anything. Relying on anything free carries inherent risk unless it is also FOSS which Obsidian isn't. 

2 minutes ago, LiftHeavy said:

A wise man once said that a minivan is better than a Ferrari if you have a family of 5. You continue driving your minivan. I'll continue driving my Ferrari.

Everyone has different use cases like I said. I evaluated Obsidian, it wasn't right for my particular needs. It may be just right for your needs. Go use it. Go talk about it on their community. This is an Evernote community, not an Obsidian one. Evernote is my Ferrari and Obsidian was more like a Ford Fiesta. Good luck and good night to you. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

It is interesting that some people are deluded enough to think they can tell others what their opinion should be.

OMG yes, this guys was telling me don't worry bro Obsidian is better for you. After I told him several reasons why it's worse. Productivity is inherently personal. What works for one person may not work for someone else.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

It is interesting that some people are deluded enough to think they can tell others what their opinion should be.

Allow me to correct you. I wasn't telling Mac what his opinion should be. I said that Obsidian is better than Evernote because it's free and you can do 100x more things with it. This is what I said:

On 1/26/2024 at 7:55 PM, LiftHeavy said:

@mackid1993 But by all means, continue paying hundreds of dollars for Evernote. It's your life. Do what you want. I'm literally pointing you to a better app, but you do you.

And I'll say it again. Do whatever you want.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

You believe in the absolute better - then you probably believe in Santa Claus as well.

There are users, they have use cases and these are a match to available solutions. There may be good matches for user A, but this tells nothing about user B‘s ranking.

Accept that there are other users, and there are other needs than your own. You said what you wanted to say, thank you for your contribution.

There is no need to repeat it.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, LiftHeavy said:

Allow me to correct you. I wasn't telling Mac what his opinion should be. I said that Obsidian is better than Evernote because it's free and you can do 100x more things with it. This is what I said:

@bmcl26 Quite deluded indeed. That's an OPINION bud. I told you why Obsidian is WORSE for me. It may be BETTER for you but you don't get to dictate what is better for someone else.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I removed another argumentative post here - I'm impressed that folks get so upset about which app is better,  but can we quit the 'I'm right and you're wrong' contests?  If you're leaving (or have left) Evernote,  it's just trolling to come back and boast how well you're doing.  Good luck for your future - please don't keep in touch...

I try to stay relaxed but my list of "ignored" posters has been growing remarkably as of late...  I admire the patience of those of you who post more frequently than I do!

Vinnie

• Like 1