Beware - 'Update' deletes Legacy and replaces it with Evernote 10.16

I love Legacy and use it every day. You can teach it new spellings, and I like the font and layout and how it works. I don't need my note-taking software to change, so I have been happy to stick with it for the last few years.

Then a dialogue box appeared, warning me of bugs etc and asking me to download the latest version - it strongly implied this was an updated version of Legacy.

Now my beloved Legacy is gone. The 'update' wipes Legacy and replaces it with the annoying version of Evernote with green checkboxes and a different font - which can't be changed.

I really don't know what to do. In some ways I'm thinking I should figure out how to download Legacy again. But clearly it's on the way out.

Can anyone recommend a simple note-taking app that does what Legacy did?

• Like 6
  • Level 5

Legacy is on its way out - that’s why users are now asked to update. The text of the message leads to misunderstanding, that has already been posted in the forum. You can get a link to reinstall legacy (depends on your OS). But it won’t last forever.

The closes note taking app to EN legacy is (surprise) EN v10. It’s legacy minus some plus a lot.

Any further proposal needs a better description of your use cases than you provide.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scarthomas said:

Can anyone recommend a simple note-taking app that does what Legacy did?

The very closest note taking app to EN legacy is Legacy 😉 
Here are the links to download:

But even if these links point to Evernote itself, be aware that they'll fail somewhere in the future.
Re-installing Legacy will not remove EN10 from your maschine - so it might be possible to keep both versions running in parallel. But it's not a good idea to try this in productive environments because upcoming updates of EN10 might remove Legacy again and again 😞
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Personally I agree that running both versions too close to each other can create problems even right now. The new clients use a different syncing method since early May 23. Everything needs to be transformed to the old database structure, or to the new, coming from legacy. Given the current problems with the new syncing, I would not put more workload on this process, for example by using legacy on a desktop and v10 on mobile in parallel, at the very same moment. But that’s a personal opinion.

Personally I have dropped legacy altogether, given the multiple deficiencies it has acquired on the Mac, due to OS updates. Actually I had it just installed to be able to check on problems for fellow users - I haven’t used it for my own use since a year.

The larger risk of legacy failing is that one day (probably not very far, given the complex syncing / database structure) the servers to which it is syncing will not answer any more. It will probably stay working (not sure about this) locally, on device, but changes will not sync up or down.

What I expect (again as a personal opinion) is that EN will give a timeline once it is decided to stop server access. Anybody still on legacy should have his own „Plan B“ ready and tested (!). I think the closest alternative is v10 - but even this should not be treated as „move over and feel at home in a minute“. It’s a different app, it works differently in some aspects, and one should take time to learn and see if it fits. The biggest pro is that all data is there already, and everything will work, including OCR based search, internal note links and sharing.

If v10 is excluded, then happy searching. There is no direct alternative, and which to pick depends on sometimes seemingly small aspects of the personal uses cases - which show to be crucial if they are missing. Export some notes, import them, and see if it works is probably the best strategy.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Anybody still on legacy should have his own „Plan B“ ready and tested (!)

Yep - my "Plan B" is to use EN10.

I've tried to use EN10 for more than 2 weeks in my productive (Windows-) environment. And yes, it's usable as a "Plan B" - but not more. It's uncomfortable, slow and annoying in so many situations that I stepped back to Legacy. My believe in EN should not be disappointed nearly every day...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

If you're having trouble with v10 please tell us here - with full details of your device / OS / Evernote version,  exactly what process you're trying to complete,  and why it's going wrong for you.  We're (usually) pleased to help,  and if we can't - you may have highlighted a bug no-one has found yet,  or a feature more of us would like to have.  Those are worth feeding back to Evernote,  or - if you're a subscriber - raising with Support. (We're mainly other users in the Forums.)

As to other options,  a web search for "best note-taking apps" got me a billion hits - you could narrow that down a little with qualifiers like "best note-taking apps for <device>" or "<occupation>".

Most of the options have a free trial period at least.  Only you can decide whether any of them do precisely what you need.

• Like 1

I've been using v10 on mobile/web alongside Legacy on the desktop for a while (and I always had the v10 desktop as well), but I honestly just don't like the look of 10 and the cluttered dashboard so if I have to make a quick note on my phone I now use Apple Notes.

It's true that mixing v10 and Legacy leads to glitches but I was mainly able to live with weird changes to bulleted lists etc.

I'm a novelist and screenwriter and I use EN for keeping track of ideas, characters, plotting etc. Because I'm using it in a creative way, it's helpful for me if it doesn't change or do anything too distracting.

I find the v10 font too jaunty compared with Legacy and I feel stupid that I can't seem to find a way to change the display (surely I should be able to choose the font I do so much of my daily work in - am I missing where I can do this?) It's also highly annoying that I can only get EN to learn spellings when there are spelling suggestions, but not when there aren't. Although this is an improvement on last time I tried it, when you couldn't teach it spelling at all.

I basically feel like I bought a house that the previous owner can come and redecorate whenever they want, but I guess all tech is like this now.

For me, v10 just has the feel of a website rather than a sturdy desktop app. Having said all that I tried One Note again today and... Ugh. So I guess I'll be trying to stay with EN somehow... Thanks for all the very useful advice 🙂

• Level 5
43 minutes ago, scarthomas said:

I'm a novelist and screenwriter and I use EN for keeping track of ideas, characters, plotting etc. Because I'm using it in a creative way, it's helpful for me if it doesn't change or do anything too distracting.

I find the v10 font too jaunty compared with Legacy and I feel stupid that I can't seem to find a way to change the display (surely I should be able to choose the font I do so much of my daily work in - am I missing where I can do this?) It's also highly annoying that I can only get EN to learn spellings when there are spelling suggestions, but not when there aren't.

My work is nonfiction (at least I say that it is), but I use Evernote for similar research and idea-gathering purposes. Personally, I don't mind a little jaunty, and there's no doubt that the v. 10 interface is jazzier than Legacy's. But the font that Evernote uses as "Normal text" is a pretty bare-bones sans serif for me (see the clip below). Can you post a screen shot if yours is not that?

WRT spelling, my understanding is that EN 10 uses system resources (your browser for the Web client, OS for desktop), but I could be wrong about that.

image.png.e29fc539fde25a3795aab5d1a3d9b6c3.png

• Level 5

V10 is a website - sort of. It is code running inside of a framework. The framework is basically a Chrome(ium) browser without a front end. The framework handles all OS interaction and nests the app.

But on desktop there is a local download, it is possible to work offline - so it’s not a website in its original meaning. Traditionally every note is a small website, described in ENML, a derivative of HTML. So running it in a browser environment is natural, sort of.

Beside being a close sibling of legacy, v10 should be treated like a new app. Anybody making the switch now from legacy should take his time learning.

Giving the current sync issues, I second a parallel use of both should be avoided at the moment.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you're having trouble with v10 please tell us here - with full details of your device / OS / Evernote version,  exactly what process you're trying to complete,  and why it's going wrong for you.  We're (usually) pleased to help,  and if we can't - you may have highlighted a bug no-one has found yet,  or a feature more of us would like to have.  Those are worth feeding back to Evernote,  or - if you're a subscriber - raising with Support. (We're mainly other users in the Forums.)

Hey Gaz. At this point for some it may have less to do with bugs and more to do with performance and a more clicky UI which creates process change.  I know when working on my wife’s account every note display was preceded by a bit of the spinning green circle. Not long, but still there. Folks will be forced to decide soonish I suppose if they can deal with that.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, CalS said:

it may have less to do with bugs and more to do with performance and a more clicky UI which creates process change.

I don't disagree,  but there seems to be a tendency for folks to post something about their favourite Legacy feature not being available and / or v10 having a hissy fit they didn't expect,  and then heading straight for the exit without telling Evernote what exactly went wrong. 

Evernote have no real feedback why people are leaving.  I'm selfishly interested,  because if Evernote get enough input that (forinstance) spinning circles are happening,  they have a chance to figure out why,  and maybe even fix it. 

Plus the more complaints they get,  the more (hopefully) likely they are to find a way to make things better.  Maybe.🤞

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Plus the more complaints they get,  the more (hopefully) likely they are to find a way to make things better.  Maybe.🤞

As always the voice of reason in a chaotic world.  ☺️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was an early EN adopter and now have more than 26'000 notes. It's an essential resource, to me. There's no way I can transfer all of that information with the gigantic and well structured tag tree to another system. So I'm kind of stuck.

I've tried to use EN v10 for years. Knowing that sooner or later you'll impose it, I tried really hard to get used to it.

Although it is much slower than the legacy version (even on a very fast machine!), I'll give you credit for some improvements, especially regarding the search functions.

There are still some major issues that you clearly did not address, although the worst ones should be fairly easy to fix.

Note that some of these mean that I am forced to use the legacy version or I'll lose data!

IMAGE HANDLING

One of the most important uses of EN is to store references, including text and image material so I can use them in my work.

I constantly need to copy images from my notes. In the Legacy version, that was super easy: just select the image and press "Ctrl-C" or mouse-click and menu function "Copy" would copy the image into the clipboard.

That never worked, in v10. I found that I can double-click images and that may or may not open the assigned image viewer, from where I can copy the image.

Problem:

The double-click often takes a very long time before the image is finally extracted.

It doesn't work at all with lots of images stored in the Legacy version. I have to go back to the legacy version, copy the image, pass it through an image viewer (typically Irfanview), then re-paste it into v10. Without legacy version, those images are essentially lost - I'd have to make a screen copy, which obviously won't work for very large high quality images, even on a 4K screen.

Even images stored in v10 sometimes are no longer accessible.

That's really bizarre - if EN v10 can display the image, it should be able to extract it. 

Another real nuisance - content that is marked as HTML doesn't allow extracting images at all. Why? The entire reason to copy articles from the Internet is to have statistics, tables and images available for use! Is that some silly "copyright protection"? I have to remove the HTML formatting and then, maybe, I can access the content.

Remove the ridiculous limitation on HTML content; if there's an image, just handle it like any other image!

Most of the time, I still have to go back to Legacy to extract the info.

QUESTION:

As IT engineer, having written major applications over the last 4 decades, I don't see the problem you seem to have with image resources at all.

• if you can display an image, you have access to it
  • that means that you can copy it to the clipboard; that's a given
  • so why do you refuse to provide the "Copy to Clipboard" option?

It should take any qualified programmer at most 2-3 hours to add that function. I know it would take me much less than that in any of my applications.

If there's some management decision behind not providing that function, I'd very much like to hear it. If this is intentional, it is the worst decision, ever. It cripples EN.

Compatibility

• you should provide a function that can step through all the notes and re-format content that might not work anymore in v10

Added features

• you generally need some programmable function that can be applied to all or a selection of notes, e.g. to replace text, change text attributes or perform more sophisticated operations (AWK style, for those who remember)
  • I have collections of images that I need to extract for use in documents that always have to be a specific size; right now, I have to step through the entire collection, image by image, resize the image and paste it back in; it should be possible to automate that process

These functions should work locally and the result should be verifiable before it is uploaded, i.e. there should be an undo.

None of the above seem complicated.

• Like 2

I use tables so I can have 2 columns in my notes. I often select lines of text by triple clicking. This doesnt work in the latest Evernote. Tables as a whole behave differently. I dont know how many times I've accidentally selected an entire table and deleted it. Legacy is better for my use case.

I, too, am on this thread after angrily having to search for the software I actually want. Have been using Legacy since it was dubbed "legacy" and today I turn on my PC to find its gone. Come on. It costs you literally nothing to let people use Legacy. Nothing. Just leave it there for people who prefer it.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mooose said:

It costs you literally nothing to let people use Legacy

Hi.  Seriously?  It costs Microsoft nothing to let you download Office 365, but they're not giving it away for free either...  and Evernote providing a service to v10 users whilst still making as much of it as possible available to legacy users requires a lot of additional coding,  not to mention the free cloud storage,  frequent syncing and general resource usage.  If Evernote didn't have to bend over backwards to maintain access,  they'd be able to apply more resources to improving v10.

Feed back your reservations to Evernote all you want*,  and by all means find and download a version of the older app.  But sometime in the next several months either your browser or OS will upgrade and the app will stop working,  or Evernote will,  finally,  change their processes enough to close off access from the older software versions.

*This forum is mainly supported by other users.  To contact Evernote directly please use the Support or Feedback links. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Amadeus3 said:

None of the above seem complicated.

...And none of it is especially relevant to this thread.  The main issue (IMHO) is that the legacy app is now deprecated.  No maintenance,  no upgrades,  no support.  v10 is very different and may lack features such as those you list.  But unless you start to use v10 and feedback individual issues to Evernote as they arise,  there will - within the next several months - be a time when your OS or browser will update to a point that legacy will no longer run correctly,  or Evernote will develop some new feature that will effectively lock out legacy users.  Your carefully structured notes will only be available in v10.

Better,  I would argue,  to be on board now and try to improve any deficiencies that you find,  rather than continue as before and then crash out unexpectedly.

• Like 2

I agree, EN10 is trash compared to the Legacy version and is why I stopped subscribing after 5 years of doing so. It's both slow and clunky in terms of UI and the extra line "bug" it adds every time I copy in code blocks is still there. 
Sneaky move to slip in the update to EU10 to Legacy users.

• Like 1

"If you're having trouble with v10 please tell us here"
"And none of it is especially relevant to this thread"

THIS IS NOT HELPFUL 😡

"may lack features such as those you list"

I TRIED to use v10 the moment it was released. I could not access the images in my already gigantic EN database. Even the double-click on images worked, back then.

That meant that IT WAS USELESS, TO ME!

I immediately took the time to describe the problem in detail via the support channel.

I reported the same issue multiple times over the years.

NO ONE SEEMS TO THINK THAT IT IS IMPORTANT 💀

It is THE single most important issue to me and I'm pretty sure that my use case is fairly standard.

I don't know why anyone would use EN to store images if it was not to retrieve them later.

NO ONE explained to me why it was so complicated to provide a function that was STANDARD, in all the previous versions. It should have been part of the essential feature list while v10 was being designed.

Given that it is technically super easy to implement and super important, I just can't help but think that there's some specific reason why it was not implemented.

The way you downplay my report on what really stops v10 from being useful is not encouraging.

I'm pretty sure that there are lots of people with the same issue who just gave up.

I reported the same problem over and over.

How about you listen to someone who is a heavy user since v1 and who is an IT engineer?

Get me in touch with one of your IT guys. See if they can tell me how this is a problem and if maybe I can help them solve it?

• Thanks 2
  • Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, Amadeus3 said:

me in touch with one of your IT guys. See if they can tell me how this is a problem and if maybe I can help them solve it?

As is often mentioned, none of us are staff. These forums are user to user support. So what you get is opinion from fellow users who have also been around a bit with Evernote. As is suggested your only way to gain traction is via support tickets.

Like it or not a decision was made three or four years ago to rebuild the Evernote app. What we call Legacy was abandoned in favour of a common code base which could be more easily maintained across all platforms.

The company has made that switch and Legacy will go. So your fellow users either work their way out with new applications sticking with Legacy in the meantime or switch to v10 and adapt their ways of working.

As for using Evernote as an image repository, that's never been it's best use. There are better image galleries on the market. Even so, I see no reason for things to change. You can continue to store images of you wish. But probably with some changes to workflow. Many, probably most, of my notes have images in them.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Amadeus3 said:

none of it is especially relevant to this thread

I did not mean to question the validity your reaction to the changes - just to point out,  as @agsteele just did that,  for better or (apparently) worse,  the point here is that changes have been made.

3 hours ago, Amadeus3 said:

I reported the same issue multiple times over the years.

We've had the new v10 for a couple of years now,  during which period it has improved out of all recognition through nearly 100 updates.  A new owner only acquired the company this year,  and is probably still getting to grips with the details.  And as an experienced engineer I'm sure you appreciate that with an app that is in use by hundreds of millions of users on a 365/24/7 basis,  Evernote has thousands of requests to process and -probably- a couple of years' worth of work already scheduled.  Even 'simple' requests have a long gestation time.

• Like 2

I signaled this issue practically the moment v10 was released.

It should have been one of the most basic features, as it was in v6.

I simply cannot imagine how anyone could have missed the importance of being able to access and extract images from EN. Do the engineers even use it themselves?

EN is, among others, a fabulous tool for storing diagrams that I often use in projects. That's one of many use cases where I have to be able to instantly extract image information. It was just perfect when I could simply click the image, then do a Ctrl-C.

Ever since I realized that this doesn't work, in v10, I've been incredulous as to why and how that standard function got sidelined...

On 6/22/2023 at 9:40 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Seriously?  It costs Microsoft nothing to let you download Office 365, but they're not giving it away for free either...  and Evernote providing a service to v10 users whilst still making as much of it as possible available to legacy users requires a lot of additional coding,  not to mention the free cloud storage,  frequent syncing and general resource usage.  If Evernote didn't have to bend over backwards to maintain access,  they'd be able to apply more resources to improving v10.

Feed back your reservations to Evernote all you want*,  and by all means find and download a version of the older app.  But sometime in the next several months either your browser or OS will upgrade and the app will stop working,  or Evernote will,  finally,  change their processes enough to close off access from the older software versions.

*This forum is mainly supported by other users.  To contact Evernote directly please use the Support or Feedback links. 

What are you even talking about?

Nobody is asking them to give it away for free. Legacy already exists. I'm already paying for a subscription. They gain nothing by removing Legacy. It costs them nothing to leave Legacy exactly how it is. They have hidden the download page and keep saying it will eventually stop working. Explain to me why they should force users into the new version. They dont have to patch it or maintain it. Just leave it alone. An OS eventually moving onward to the point that it has to be run in compatibility mode doesnt make a difference. That doesnt give them a reason to hide it or force users to use the new version.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, mooose said:

It costs them nothing to leave Legacy exactly how it is. They have hidden the download page and keep saying it will eventually stop working. Explain to me why they should force users into the new version. They dont have to patch it or maintain it. Just leave it alone. An OS eventually moving onward to the point that it has to be run in compatibility mode doesnt make a difference. That doesnt give them a reason to hide it or force users to use the new version.

Actually, it does cost. One of the main reasons for the difficulties with the RTE sync is the continued need to support Legacy. Possibly the easiest fix for the current problems affecting many would be to remove Legacy. I'm not saying that this should happen, but retaining Legacy is a not zero sum cost.

• Like 3
On 6/19/2023 at 6:13 PM, CalS said:

Hey Gaz. At this point for some it may have less to do with bugs and more to do with performance and a more clicky UI which creates process change.  I know when working on my wife’s account every note display was preceded by a bit of the spinning green circle. Not long, but still there. Folks will be forced to decide soonish I suppose if they can deal with that.  🤷‍♂️

I binned Legacy over a year ago, I must admit I was not a fan of V10, but  I suspect that was all to do with being out of my comfort zone with some things in different places, so I had both running for a time.  In the year since I binned Legacy, I have not missed it one bit, I don't recognise the complaints of poor performance, and I have never experienced the "Spinning Green Wheel".  I just must be lucky.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

I binned Legacy over a year ago

I'm a bit hazy on when,  but I agree - I really didn't like the first iterations of v10.  It was too slow,  too limited and too different;  but after a hundred or so updates (I think we had three in the last month!) it is at least usable.  Some details are still up in the air - the 'are you sure?' warnings on links, the 100 selection limit and so on,  but like you I'm using v10 as the daily driver with very few actual complaints.  I do see the occasional blue circle though.  ^_^

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I don't recognise the complaints of poor performance, and I have never experienced the "Spinning Green Wheel".  I just must be lucky.

That's probably because your workflow is close to the "happy flow". To develop a robust application, 10% development time is needed to implement the happy flow and 90% to implement the corner cases, alternative and exceptional flows. The problem is that managers often think the product is ready as soon as they see the happy flow working...

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, eric99 said:

The problem is that managers often think the product is ready as soon as they see the happy flow working...

No, the product is ready as soon as the schedule deadline hits 😄.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, eric99 said:

That's probably because your workflow is close to the "happy flow". To develop a robust application, 10% development time is needed to implement the happy flow and 90% to implement the corner cases, alternative and exceptional flows. The problem is that managers often think the product is ready as soon as they see the happy flow working...

For sure.  Back in mid 2021 my assumption was my "corner case" flow (high access paperless and my form of GTD) wasn't coming anytime soon.  Mostly to do with the virtually instantaneous response time I had with V6 and less to do the loss of local notebooks.  So I exited via export in December 2021.  I kept Legacy desktop just in case I oopsed something.  

My forays with my wife's simple 2k notes account continue to confirm my hypothesis as this point.  Doesn't make V10 bad, just not for me.  In this incarnation anyway.

• Thanks 1

I wish I had read the warnings about Evernote's offer of an updated version of Evernote Legacy. I took the bait, thinking I was going to get what they said they would give me. Instead I got the new -- much inferior -- current Evernote.

Criminal.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You got supported software instead of a long deprecated version. What you make out of it is up to you.

The wording could be more transparent …

From what we can see from the outside, legacy may stop syncing in the near future.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Maru1 said:

I didnt use legacy, but I disliked the new UI and its forced home menu all the time, the developers are making EN worse unfortunately

This is a matter of opinion, plus, as advised above, you can choose to start where you left off previously rather than in Home Screen.  There are a lot of things I don't like in numerous items of software, and I just choose to ignore these.

51 minutes ago, gazumped said:

? It's possible to change the start screen in desktop Settings from Home to your last position in the database.

I've been asking for this for a long time now. I just checked in my Evernote settings, but couldnt find the option, ist it only for premium users? For me it would be perfect to start with a selected notebook, as was in legacy the case. I have no use for the home and I would prefer to disable it. Is there an option for this, that I might've overlooked?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Maru1 said:

I don't have that option under settings. Is this the Evernote Web? Are you an Evernote Premium user?

That dialog that Gazumped showed is the same on the latest Web version [Edit -- not available on the web version], the latest MacOS Desktop version, and the latest Windows Desktop version.

You don't have to be a premium user to see and use it. 

Perhaps you are using an old version of the app? What is the version that you are using? And can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Edited by Boot17
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

That dialog that Gazumped showed is the same on the latest Web version, the latest MacOS Desktop version, and the latest Windows Desktop version.

You don't have to be a premium user to see and use it. 

Perhaps you are using an old version of the app? What is the version that you are using? And can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

image.thumb.png.5cde505177733df7caa25711d4ee1ce0.png

Hm, weird..I am using the latest app, but I tried it in the web settings, here it is in German, but I think it's still clear, that the option is not there.

34 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Are you seeing 10.57 or 10.58 as the app number?

My android app is the most recent 10.51, I am not using any other app other than web.

According to the site, the finals are 10.57 for platforms other than android. 10.58 I assume is a beta, which I'm not using.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058361833-Evernote-release-notes

Where do I find the web version?

45 minutes ago, Maru1 said:

Hm, weird..I am using the latest app, but I tried it in the web settings, here it is in German, but I think it's still clear, that the option is not there.

Ah - I am so sorry. I was wrong. It looks like that isn't an option in the Web version -- it doesn't show for me either in Web -- must just be in the Desktop versions for both MacOS and Windows.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just checked the web and got updated to 10.58.8 there.  It's not a beta,  it is the current production model being rolled out to millions of users over weeks.  You can queue-jump the apps by downloading direct from Evernote.com.  But you're right - you get a choice of 'light mode' or 'dark mode' on the web - not where to start.

However there is a sneaky trick you can play with the web version.  If you go to whatever page(s) you wish to see when Evernote starts up and copy the URL from that web page,  then save that to your browser or desktop as a normal bookmark,  you can open Evernote directly to that page (apart maybe for logging in) each time you need it. 

It's possible to create links to any Evernote page this way - provided you copy the entirety of the URL.  Click in the address bar and make sure you select all the content before copying.

• Level 5

@Maru1, I just tested in the Android app, and if you put it in Notes view (or Tags, or whatever) rather than Home and then force close the app, it will start up in that view next time. That view will persist after a phone restart too. It's not obvious, but it is possible to avoid the Home view if you don't want it.

• Like 1

I also updated to the latest version of legacy and it turned out to be the exact same version as the new version I'm desperate to avoid. 

Dear Evernote, I won't forget the sheer dishonesty. I don't know who's running the company to think such dishonest behaviour is okay but it's not. If the update just said this will delete or you're going to discontinue it that's fine, the fact you dishonestly tried to move people is very bad and probably damaged your brand with all those users permanently. It will be interesting to see if the moderator posts this. Closing your ears to valid criticism will be your undoing,. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Make things easy said:

I also updated to the latest version of legacy

Evernote gave notice 2+ years ago that Legacy was no longer supported.  It has not been possible to 'update' Legacy since then.  Legacy users are being nagged more frequently to upgrade currently because (presumably) Evernote plans to develop v10 past the point that Legacy users will be able to connect at all in the next few months and the option of not upgrading would be to find a 'bricked' database of unsuable information on your device.

If you truly wish to return to Legacy and take the risk,  there are download links elsewhere in this forum - simply uninstall what you have and reinstall the older version.  You will still be nagged.

If you wish to complain to Evernote please use the feedback link in any app,  or contact Support - we're mainly other users here... 

• Like 3

As I said in the post. If Evernote were honest in the update spill then the explanation you gave is fine. That's not what it said. It said something about syncing and security updates to Evernote legacy, not to the latest version of Evernote. I already had the newest version install on my laptop, I choose to use legacy because its better. 

It's important it's recorded here as when I typed this into google, this forum came up. It's good for Evernote that other users validate other users complaints. If Evernote aren't monitoring then that's another bad sign. 

Probably the heigh of bad customer service is explaining technical process to a user. Best to keep technology as simple as humanly possible. The risk isn't on my side, it's on Evernote if doesn't build a better product that it already had. I highly recommend Evernote product team reads the book "TiKTok boom". When vine which was an early precursor to TikTok ignored its top users, it was its demise. Although TikTok is not a more useful product than Evernote, it is by far more easy to use. And it's very much because they have an obsessional focus on the user, a very smart AI, and is built on several acquisitions. The problem Vine has was their engineers hated speaking to users. From what I've seen last two years, and your reply, ignoring customers could be Evernote new tagline. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Make things easy said:

From what I've seen last two years, and your reply

You got the point that I'm just another user,  right?  I volunteer here to give factual information about what Evernote can and can't do,  and - where I can - work-arounds for some issues.  Since there is limited time and a lot of posts to deal with,  I tend to be brief.  If you don't like the advice, then please disregard it.

On 6/23/2023 at 5:09 AM, gazumped said:

I did not mean to question the validity your reaction to the changes - just to point out,  as @agsteele just did that,  for better or (apparently) worse,  the point here is that changes have been made.

We've had the new v10 for a couple of years now,  during which period it has improved out of all recognition through nearly 100 updates.  A new owner only acquired the company this year,  and is probably still getting to grips with the details.  And as an experienced engineer I'm sure you appreciate that with an app that is in use by hundreds of millions of users on a 365/24/7 basis,  Evernote has thousands of requests to process and -probably- a couple of years' worth of work already scheduled.  Even 'simple' requests have a long gestation time.

and even after 100 updates, you still don't have the ability to adjust the width of the table with an Excel or PDF file. How ridiculous is that?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Which table width do you want to change ? And about which client are you talking ?

EN is not an editor for Office files, nor a pdf editor.

If you have a table and you insert a PDF document inside a cell, it is not possible to reduce the width of the cell to less than approximately 5 cm.

• Level 5

The 5cm is roughly the width of the attachments icon. It simply treats the attachment as a defined element, not only by content but as well by appearance. Opposite to a picture that can be resized, the attachment symbol is a fixed UI element.

There is something in the cell, and it „insists“ in being properly displayed. That’s a design decision - like it or not. You can wait another 42 releases until we reach the 100 (current count is 58), but I doubt anybody will change anything. It’s just fine as it is.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The 5cm is roughly the width of the attachments icon. It simply treats the attachment as a defined element, not only by content but as well by appearance. Opposite to a picture that can be resized, the attachment symbol is a fixed UI element.

There is something in the cell, and it „insists“ in being properly displayed. That’s a design decision - like it or not. You can wait another 42 releases until we reach the 100 (current count is 58), but I doubt anybody will change anything. It’s just fine as it is.

It's not fine because it takes up too much space on one screen. In the legacy version, I placed 8 files near each other, but now I can only place a maximum of 3 without having to scroll left and right. Additionally, the files are visually large, so I have to do a lot more scrolling down, and I have less overview on one screen. I had to buy myself a new laptop, and unfortunately, I can no longer download the legacy version, and the old downloaded file is not working either. So, I am now moving to Notion and trying to move 60,000 Evernote files. While Notion lacks a lot, Evernote doesn't give me any option but to look for alternatives, all because someone doesn't want to make the design flexible. And worst of all, I don't understand why. I do not understand the logic behind it. To me, that sounds so obvious and so simple to implement, but apparently, I am wrong. Though what is clear is that there is no intention of solving it, of addressing the concerns of the users. In other words, we, the users, are screwed, and that has been the case for years.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Design decision, as I said.

Complains can be posted here:

Already done more than ten times. Recently again, two times, and only received a robotic reply that it is in the hands of the technician and neither any reply to my emails to Federico Simionato when on YouTube he gives interviews stating that he loves to hear the feedback from the user. All bs.

and another issue that drives me nuts is when you merge columns, every single line you have to merge all the columns again. In Legacy, when you merge and you add another line, it takes the same format as the above line. How difficult can this be to implement? Or better said, if it was already implemented in Legacy, why not simply copy the same in the new version? And again, the frustration of not understanding why. This must be a simple one line of code to adjust, but no, you can send hundreds of complaints, they will never adjust that.

• Evernote Expert
37 minutes ago, pansovic said:

neither any reply to my emails to Federico Simionato when on YouTube he gives interviews stating that he loves to hear the feedback from the user.

I've seen him say that he values feedback and that they will be read but that he cannot reply to the many Emails.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, after resisting YEARS to not update, I see I'm being forced. 

Thanks to someone pointing it out here, I was able to reinstall the old legacy by dragging it out of the trash. 

Because in the update process, I lost my entire note in the Evernote helper. YIKES. I had loads of important stuff. So I copied it in another note. 

Unfortunately, the helper disappeared with the new "Legacy" version. So I've decided to make do with the updated version, which seems, to me, like the new version. 

This said, I find it super IDIOTIC that the helper has a maximum length of 10 000 characters. Why? why, why, WHY????

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The helper is NOT meant to keep any data for more than a brief period of time. It never was, and is isn’t today.

If you want to store data permanently, save the content as a note. Only this will save to the server, and is protected against data loss.

10k characters is more text than 2 entire book pages (80c per line, 50 lines a page). I think when this limit derails your workflow, a simple adaption of saving content before adding new should solve your troubles.

By the scratchpad on the Home screen there is a second place in v10 where short lived information can be intermittently stored. Same basic concept: Save it to a note to protect it.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:33 AM, AlbertR said:

The very closest note taking app to EN legacy is Legacy 😉 
Here are the links to download:

But even if these links point to Evernote itself, be aware that they'll fail somewhere in the future.
Re-installing Legacy will not remove EN10 from your maschine - so it might be possible to keep both versions running in parallel. But it's not a good idea to try this in productive environments because upcoming updates of EN10 might remove Legacy again and again 😞

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, I know that. Thank you.

But I don't want it converted. I keep it as a very long note, notebook type of thing. I refer to it constantly, to remind me of things, to see the passage of time. I had that one for over 1 year. 

I'll just have to erase things in it when I've reached that 10K limit. 

• Level 5

Keeping content on a temporary storage for a long time is exactly what you should avoid (or use at your own peril).

There are several ways I use to have easy access to some notes, from setting a shortcut to a note to pinning it to my EN Home screen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 2:15 AM, AlbertR said:

Yep - my "Plan B" is to use EN10.

I've tried to use EN10 for more than 2 weeks in my productive (Windows-) environment. And yes, it's usable as a "Plan B" - but not more. It's uncomfortable, slow and annoying in so many situations that I stepped back to Legacy. My believe in EN should not be disappointed nearly every day...

Hi Albert,

I had a similar experience, v10 is still too slow and the speed problem prevents me from searching and accessing data quickly while I am on a Teams video meeting so I had to be back to v6.x. Part of the problem is caused by my internet connection because the internet traffic goes through my work VPN and the internet traffic has all sorta of filters on it.

Does anybody know what speed internet connection and wifi connection is needed to have a v6 Evernote app experience with v10? Hopefully WiFi 6e and a internet connection with both a gigabit up and down speed is not required...

Every version of Evernote v10 series for Windows that I have tested has been too slow. It would be nice if they added the option to keep a local copy of the notes database on your computer and the option to manually sync as needed.

Damn. Just happened to me during a very important project last night. Screwed up my work to no end. New intferface is straight up shite, too.! How can I get the real Legacy back? Why shouldn't I cancel the subscription I've held for a decade, RIGHT NOW?

Whew. Score one for Carbon Copy Cloner. I was indeed able to find a REAL Evernote installer in an old backup, from back in Sep 2020.  Not just lack of private folders that sucks in this one. Try dragging notes from the left sidebar into a new note. Try doing a search from that convenient place at top right. Try dragging an image from one bullet point to another in a note. From my cold dead whatever. Still can't believe they tricked all us old-timers to move over. "Legacy" my ass.

• Like 2

I use so many special features in Evernote that file hippo and other suggestions that people kindly offered in a thread here simply won't work for my set of thousands of notes over the past decade that I search back through every single day. I did at least move my private notebooks over to Apple Notes. But why in god's name did they sneak this one in as a Legacy update?

Thanks. The one I installed from my backups just now was 7.14.1, same as for the official link that Mr Growf kindly posted on 6/9. At least on a Mac all i needed to do was put that trashy one in the trash, then drag the actual .app file back into Applications. Grabbing both the Mac and Windows installer files from the EN site now. I'd suggest other Legacy users do the same asap.

• Level 5

Do it - enjoy the ultimate days. To use your own words: It is a trashy proposal.

Nobody knows when all legacy apps will stop syncing, but probably soon, and from that day it's over. I think it is the most ignorant approach to wait until the last train has left town, but everybody is the master of his own fate, and some have never known when to leave a party.

Just don't come back here to drop some mimimi after it has happened - you have been informed.

It would be much wiser to invest time into applying "Plan B" now - whatever it is.

17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Do it - enjoy the ultimate days. To use your own words: It is a trashy proposal.

Nobody knows when all legacy apps will stop syncing, but probably soon, and from that day it's over. I think it is the most ignorant approach to wait until the last train has left town, but everybody is the master of his own fate, and some have never known when to leave a party.

Just don't come back here to drop some mimimi after it has happened - you have been informed.

It would be much wiser to invest time into applying "Plan B" now - whatever it is.

Yep, I followed your "wise" words. After a week, I had to revert back to the legacy version because I could no longer create more notes. In the legacy version, although I couldn't sync anymore, I could still create notes, allowing me to continue my work. However, with the latest version, I was completely blocked out for days until they solved the problem. It turned out I had more than 35,000 notes in my trash, bringing the total notes to 100,000, which reached the limit. I never checked my trash because, well, it's trash. I find it surprising that there is no option for auto-deletion after 30 days. Anyway, the point is that, once again, the legacy version saved the day, not the latest version despite the numerous updates over the years. I am quite baffled. 

• Level 5

You could have simply emptied the trash. 35k notes in the trash is simply ridiculous.

But of course, it must be the app to blame, not the own way of treating things you decided to drop. The behavior of the trash has not changed between legacy and v10 - it always kept the trashed content unless it was emptied by a user action, and it didn't have an auto-deletion, ever.

What good does it when you can create notes, but they don't sync ? Exactly - nothing. One of the many inconsistencies of legacy.

Your post is a brilliant example of criticism where nothing has changed at all - but it must be bad because it is the same on v10 as it was on legacy. It is a server side system limit of 100k notes per account, and it doesn't care if the client is legacy, v10 or your typewriter (provided it can send stuff to the API). But v10 must be bad because it treats the limit correctly: Not allowing to create new notes unless the root cause is corrected. Crooked view, if you ask me.

Rant over ...

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You could have simply emptied the trash. 35k notes in the trash is simply ridiculous.

But of course, it must be the app to blame, not the own way of treating things you decided to drop. The behavior of the trash has not changed between legacy and v10 - it always kept the trashed content unless it was emptied by a user action, and it didn't have an auto-deletion, ever.

What good does it when you can create notes, but they don't sync ? Exactly - nothing. One of the many inconsistencies of legacy.

Your post is a brilliant example of criticism where nothing has changed at all - but it must be bad because it is the same on v10 as it was on legacy. It is a server side system limit of 100k notes per account, and it doesn't care if the client is legacy, v10 or your typewriter (provided it can send stuff to the API). But v10 must be bad because it treats the limit correctly: Not allowing to create new notes unless the root cause is corrected. Crooked view, if you ask me.

Rant over ...

Only have a look at the attached video. It takes me 90 seconds to open a note with only 800kb in the latest version. It's a joke. Once it's open, you already forget why you opened it in the first place. How are you going to defend this last-century approach? 

• Level 5

You are jumping topics - no arguments on 1), OK, let's open 2).

Not a sound strategy, but OK.

I just tried to open notes, going down the list, 2023, 2021, 2019, and so on. Sizes were up to 165MB, holding attachments, web clips, regular content. The longest wait on the 165MB was below 10 seconds - on notes I am pretty sure I had not touched since RTE launched, so they needed conversion before displaying. The usual wait was between 1 and 3 seconds. Notes that had already been opened before usually open in an instant.

This indicates for me: You have either not the latest client (10.59.5, 10.58.8 should do as well), or you have a corrupted local database, that is slowing everything down.

To rebuild it from the server, you need to make a clean uninstall first. A clean uninstall is one that removes settings and data as well. To perform it, use an app like Revo Un installer (for Windows). Make sure all program parts are selected, then uninstall. Restart the PC, then download the latest version from the EN website, open, log in. It will draw an initial load of data (notes and metadata) from the server. Let the app running, because it will need time to download everything, including attachments, for offline use.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, pansovic said:

In the legacy version, although I couldn't sync anymore, I could still create notes, allowing me to continue my work.

and

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I also spent some time to check this out as a plan B: If syncing is not my first priority (because I backup my complete EN infrastructure locally), it might be possible to use EN standalone forever even with no fee cost.

But there is at least one feature missing in Legacy that I would need to do so: If you try to link notes by internal links, Legacy needs to sync first - it's not possible to create an internal link when offline 😞 - nobody knows why. EN10 allows to do so - why? (in parallel to so many other base features like RTE that really need online connections)

==> If EN stops Legacy from syncing (by disallowing it on server site), it's a hard stop for me to use legacy as my daily information management tool. 😡

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

If EN stops Legacy from syncing (by disallowing it on server site), it's a hard stop

That would be correct.  However it's more likely that things like RTE coding will be introduced which be wholly or partially incompatible with Legacy.  How long should a company maintain backwards compatibility with older versions that they no longer support,  especially if that may mean reduced access to new features for current subscribers?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@AlbertR That’s easy to explain: Every note has a UID, that serves as unique address for it. Each note is like a small website, listed under its UID.

Sharing works through the UID, linking works through the UID, and I think syncing does so as well.

AFAIK the UID is maintained on the server.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

That would be correct.  However it's more likely that things like RTE coding will be introduced which be wholly or partially incompatible with Legacy.  How long should a company maintain backwards compatibility with older versions that they no longer support,  especially if that may mean reduced access to new features for current subscribers?

"How long" - as long as they haven't figured out how to make a better version than legacy. See the attached video. I am trying to open Evernote on the web version. It's a video of 4 minutes, but it took me 12 minutes to open it. I include the internet speed, which is 500+ Mbps, on a laptop I bought a month ago. So, perhaps the problem is with Evernote? Ultimately, the Evernote 10 version is a joke, and all the defenders, like PinkElephant, are the show's clowns. I do not know you, so I hope you are not taking it personally, but you are defending the indefensible. This is worse than the dial-up modem method of the ´90. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The clown is yourself. You got advise how to improve the situation, instead you add proof that you simply have a corrupted local database.

It‘s your decision not to solve it. You seem to be searching for proof that v10 must be bad - you shoot yourself into the foot.

🤡

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The clown is yourself. You got advise how to improve the situation, instead you add proof that you simply have a corrupted local database.

It‘s your decision not to solve it. You seem to be searching for proof that v10 must be bad - do you shoot yourself into the foot.

🤡

my first video, where it took me 90 seconds to load a note, is Evernote Web version. To my understanding that has nothing to do with my local file. 

• Evernote Expert

There is a known loading issue with the web client that affects some users more than others.

The Evernote Experts team had a briefing on this issue this week. I can confirm that the cause and resolutions are being investigated but I didn't hear a date for a fix.

• Level 5

Experts have a special role with EN, since some of them are offering consulting services as well (offering help on a professional level against a fee).

The forum levels have nothing to do with the EN Expert status.

None of us are employees and have inside knowledge. The experts will get additional briefings, to help them to help their clients. @agsteele can comment on this. The only forum users that may have inside knowledge have a "Staff" on their badges, are employees - and usually will rarely show up here in the forum to share their knowledge.

Alright, we find ourselves back at square one, interfering with each other in the same situation without real answers. Whenever we submit a request, we receive the same repetitive responses without any actual answers.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are jumping topics - no arguments on 1), OK, let's open 2).

Not a sound strategy, but OK.

I just tried to open notes, going down the list, 2023, 2021, 2019, and so on. Sizes were up to 165MB, holding attachments, web clips, regular content. The longest wait on the 165MB was below 10 seconds - on notes I am pretty sure I had not touched since RTE launched, so they needed conversion before displaying. The usual wait was between 1 and 3 seconds. Notes that had already been opened before usually open in an instant.

This indicates for me: You have either not the latest client (10.59.5, 10.58.8 should do as well), or you have a corrupted local database, that is slowing everything down.

To rebuild it from the server, you need to make a clean uninstall first. A clean uninstall is one that removes settings and data as well. To perform it, use an app like Revo Un installer (for Windows). Make sure all program parts are selected, then uninstall. Restart the PC, then download the latest version from the EN website, open, log in. It will draw an initial load of data (notes and metadata) from the server. Let the app running, because it will need time to download everything, including attachments, for offline use.

I would love to be the clown, as that would allow us to address the issue and make progress. I am currently using version 10.58.8. Therefore, the problem should be related to a corrupted local database. If so, where is that database located? Additionally, does the Windows version have a local database? This is the case with legacy, but I was under the impression that the Windows version is a copy of the browser version without a local database.