Note loading and tasks sync issues

FYI, content loss does not only occur in Tasks. I had a note (containing 0 tasks) not only lose my edits made a few hours earlier, but actually revert back to a state from two days prior. This was a text note with a couple of small PDF files. I have opened a ticket with logs.

Separately, I have since updated to 10.58.3 for Mac, and just a moment ago I experienced an extended time to load a note. The note is from two years ago, and all it contained was a text link to another note. It took ~55 seconds to open.

• Like 8

This is good to hear. I have been proactively updating all my notes in the webapp, by scrolling through them and pausing as necessary. With 75% done there has been some improvement. However I am finding the iPhone app unreliable and have had to stop relying on it for adding new data, as I often get a frozen screen requiring a forced close, leading to data loss in some cases. Let us users know how we can help client-side! I will raise a ticket re the iPhone if the problems persist after all my notes are with the new format in a few days time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Federico Simionato The note load lag time that I was experiencing this week (even on RTE converted notes) has been alleviated today using the v10.58.3 client! Tasks are also performing better – the buttons to save after updating, and the ability to complete a task appear to work. However, I think I am still experiencing completed recurring tasks reappearing on the date I just closed them out on. I will watch for this more closely and create a support ticket with logs if needed. Progress though...especially on performance.

• Like 8

For me, the new update v10.58.3 didn't work, worse, tasks stopped working correctly, there are still other bugs involving tasks, the mosts disturbing issue is that after deleting a recurring task, the task reappears and when creating a new note they are tripled.
The slowness to update notes continues.
Watch my video

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
On 6/10/2023 at 1:34 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Due to an increase in customer support tickets mentioning them, earlier this week we assigned the highest priority to the following issues:

• Notes taking longer to load than expected (even those already converted to the RTE format)
  • Content loss inside tasks

We released a series of backend fixes that should significantly improve the former, and the latter should also be improved.

This is only the first step. We are still actively working to make the backend more reliable.

If you still experience these issues in a few hours on the most up-to-date version of the clients, please get in touch with support and provide logs and details of what happened.

I apologize for the delay in communication. After observing metrics during the next two days, I will report back on Monday to give you more information.

Here probably, after reading your note, I understand that, you are not aware of all the problems, that we as Evernote users are facing, while would request you to please do go back to your customer support team, and know the list of problems, as what are know or what you’ve written, it’s just tip of an iceberg, as repeating all the issues would be of no use here. 

• Level 5

You can be pretty sure that there is awareness of the problems we customers are reporting to support.

What‘s positive is we get feedback, and a first release that is specifically designed to tackle some of the issues. Nobody who knows a little about software engineering would expect a single „bullet“ that solves all problems at once.

If you want to contribute: Install the new release, try it out, if you find problems, contact support. I personally have experienced an improvement, especially in the loading times of the notes on my Mac. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I thank the developers for their excellent work.

The performance of the latest version for macOS and the web version has been greatly improved. I think it is as fast as a text editor.

The iOS and iPasOS versions have also improved, although I haven't touched them for a long time.

Thanks!

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can be pretty sure that there is awareness of the problems we customers are reporting to support.

What‘s positive is we get feedback, and a first release that is specifically designed to tackle some of the issues. Nobody who knows a little about software engineering would expect a single „bullet“ that solves all problems at once.

If you want to contribute: Install the new release, try it out, if you find problems, contact support. I personally have experienced an improvement, especially in the loading times of the notes on my Mac. 

Then please do share the link of the new release, if in case it’s not available on the App Store for iMac., then surely, I’ll try to contribute too. 

• Level 5

You get it as direct download from the EN website. Just go there, and click on "Download". However, since it installs into a different directory on your drive, I don't think it is compatible with a AppStore install.

The Mac AppStore will show the new release a bit later, due to the necessary notarization Apple does for every new entry.

In this case you should already find it there, it was entered into the AppStore 2 days ago (10.58.3).

Personally I avoid the AppStore version for other reasons, but that's not the point here.

Firstly, Evernote App., on my iMac., is not syncing, secondly, while opening up the website and logging into my Evernote account, I can’t see the tasks, which I can see on the iMac app., version of my Evernote account. 

These two are the basic issues, that I’m facing at the moment.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:34 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Due to an increase in customer support tickets mentioning them, earlier this week we assigned the highest priority to the following issues:

• Notes taking longer to load than expected (even those already converted to the RTE format)

Hi Federico,

Slow API's, please let me pay for more CPU/IO time!

When you posted this, Backupery was still fast. Backupery took 1.68 seconds per note on average to back-up. Currently (I just did a measurement) it is 15 seconds average with spikes to 30 seconds per note to download per API. Conclusion is it takes almost 10x more. See the original measurements in the first forum link below about back-ups. Please offer me to pay twice my monthly fee for 10 times faster API's and no limits, or I'll pay gladly 5x the amount for 100x faster API's. Give me some more options. My company and I are coming to a grinding standstill to API problems, slowness, data-loss, slow client on Windows, I cannot work like this. Evernote currently is an anti-productivity tool for me and my company. Search indices take minutes to sometimes hours to get synced, resuliting in unusable results to saved searched, when changing/using tags (which I do a lot).

Merging fails and gives dataloss

I want to let you know that merging notes goes wrong for 50% of the notes I merge, resulting in dataloss, Evernote Windows, most recent version, complains about being unable to upload and it results in data loss and ducplicates and confusing error messages. See the second forum link below about failing merges. 

• Thanks 3
On 6/10/2023 at 1:34 AM, Federico Simionato said:

We released a series of backend fixes that should significantly improve the former, and the latter should also be improved.

This is only the first step. We are still actively working to make the backend more reliable.

If you still experience these issues in a few hours on the most up-to-date version of the clients, please get in touch with support and provide logs and details of what happened.

I apologize for the delay in communication. After observing metrics during the next two days, I will report back on Monday to give you more information.

Can't you guys, have the Sync., button as it on your iOS App., as it used to have it on your iMac, long long long time ago...

• Like 2

Can't you guys, have the Sync., button as it on your iOS App., as it used to have it on your iMac, long long long time ago...so that if can force it to sync., as we can be sure about that we will not loose our data, as we've been loosing our data, since, this problem started. 

• Level 5

No, makes no sense at all with RTE. The sync has already happened before you could even position the mouse over a button.

This old button is the symbol of the sync that has been, the sync that caused duplication and conflict notes. It always synced whole notes, however tiny the changes were.

If you want to see the sync status, switch on the Toggle Note Status in the Problem solving tools. You find a Reload (cmd - R) option there as well. Hold down opt/alt before opening the Help menu.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No, makes no sense at all with RTE. The sync has already happened before you could even position the mouse over a button.

This old button is the symbol of the sync that has been, the sync that caused duplication and conflict notes. It always synced whole notes, however tiny the changes were.

If you want to see the sync status, switch on the Toggle Note Status in the Problem solving tools. You find a Reload (cmd - R) option there as well. Hold down opt/alt before opening the Help menu.

Thanks for sharing it, I’ll try to do it tomorrow, and will share the result with you. 

I hope it gets synced, automatically as it used to before. Hopefully, the engineers can solve it, at the earliest. 

On EN Win 10.58.3 displaying times for old and new notes (created on latest clients) for me vary between nice 1-2 seconds to 65 (!) seconds turning EN into an anti-productivity tool. Would be nice if @Federico Simionatocould post an update on this here. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I know I am only n=1, but I sufferred *another* loss of task content this morning (Monday morning after the weekend) - it has been going on for weeks for this particular n=1.

Ticket was raised at the time - little comfort other than knowing it has been logged.

• Like 2

This same file, which has been not been synced since Monday Morning, while today is Tuesday Morning, how much long does it take to Sync., a normal file which is not more than 60KB, so the problem is with the sync., issues in your iMac Version of the Evernote, please try to solve it. 

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 9.45.28 AM.png

8 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

I am aware of a bug that would rarely revert a note to a previous version. People mentioning it are few for now, but given the gravity of the issue, we're prioritizing it. If this happens to you, make sure to open a ticket with the logs (and note URL also helps).

Is first-level support aware of this issue and the priority? I have a ticket open (with logs) for a note reversion issue, but I'm still stuck answering basic questions with first-level support; they haven't even opened the log file yet as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Bhatia, Mayur P said:

This same file, which has been not been synced since Monday Morning, while today is Tuesday Morning, how much long does it take to Sync., a normal file which is not more than 60KB, so the problem is with the sync., issues in your iMac Version of the Evernote, please try to solve it. 

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 9.45.28 AM.png

Even Now, I tried to save the file on your Evernote's iMac version, even I saved everything there, but when I opened the Evernote App., again on my iMac, while it was still opened in the background, I did lost that data...its a problem with your Sync., issue on the iMac version of your Evernote App., hopefully, you guys can understand it. Who, will keep wasting its time, again and again and saving the documents, and if you delete these documents, once you save it on Evernote, and if it happens again, then that means, you've lost everything...and on that, keep Paying Evernote.

I have had at least a dozen notes drop pictures from notes, and more than that that have a spinning green disk where a pdf should be. Interestingly I have deleted the pdf from the note, and found the original and put it back in the note and I still get the spinning green disk as if it can no longer load in a document I am dropping in. If I put it in another note it drops in just fine.

My files are shared between two users and on pc's and ios and android. Evernote has become completely unreliable for me. I have had to restore dozens of notes from earlier timestamps, when in reality no one has even opened them in the mean time.

What am I supposed to do with 10404 notes when the system is so unreliable I can no longer trust the notes I am using?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Most likely, nothing is missing - just not loading on your screen.  You may find the web interface to be more reliable while the current troubles afflicting some users are resolved. We know that this is being given the highest priority. The request is that customers submit an incident ticket to support including the note ID, date/time and the device log for Evernote.

As you have found editing the note may not fix anything and could, actually create more confusion.

I’ve done all that, and already all the details have been shared with the customer service representative with self explanatory screenshots. While, the web version is more worse, where-in the task are missing and no updates are happening on the web version. 

On 6/12/2023 at 8:47 PM, Federico Simionato said:

I am aware of a bug that would rarely revert a note to a previous version. People mentioning it are few for now, but given the gravity of the issue, we're prioritizing it. If this happens to you, make sure to open a ticket with the logs (and note URL also helps).

I was able to reproduce this 'rare' bug in 5 minutes as follows:

• I created a new note on my windows client
  • I typed a few lines of text
  • I started my android client which was not synced for a day, so several notes needed to be synced
  • While my phone was still busy with syncing , I opened the newly created note concurrently (just for reading)
  • The new note stayed blank on my android phone. After waiting 1 minute, I closed the note and opened it again. Then 1 line of the three had finally arrived
  • I opened the same note in the Web Client, concurrently (just reading) with android and windows client: even there only 1 line was visible in the note although the original note in the windows client contained 3 lines.
  • I was able to enter new text in the windows client, everything was completely synced according the app but nothing came through anymore in the Web or Android client
  • I closed the note on the windows client and opened it again, and suddenly my new content was lost and contained only one text line anymore, my note was reverted to a previous version.
  • History didn't contain the lost data!

This looks very much like a race condition bug in the sync mechanism 😕

EN v10.58.3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
32 minutes ago, eric99 said:

• I started my android client concurrently, my phone was not synced for a day, so several notes needed to be synced
  • While my phone was still busy with syncing , I opened the newly created note
  • The new note stayed blank on my android phone. After waiting 1 minute, I closed the note and opened it again. Then 1 line of the three had finally arrived
  • I opened the same note in the Web Client, concurrently with android and windows client: even there only 1 line was visible in the note although the original note in the windows client contained 3 lines
  • I was able to enter new text in the windows client, everything was completely synced according the app but nothing came through anymore in the Web or Android client
  • I closed the note on the windows client and opened it again, and suddenly my new content was lost and contained only one text line anymore, my note was reverted to a previous version.

EN v10.58.3

@Federico Simionato  ⚠️ This looks at least like a reproduction of this problem, which you asked me for in a DM. In addidtion to the note shard/URL's I send you today of the notes gone wrong on my side, I want to mention I do not edit the same note on different devices like eric99 mentions, HOWEVER, I do sync with 5 devices and HOWEVER I do work a lot with "Open in New Window" at the same time that the Main Window is open with a note visible in it, and there I saw the same behaviour as eric99, my editing window showed nothing that it would not be synced correctly, however my main window doesn't contain the changes. History doesn't contain the edits.

@eric99 If I ever meet you, remember me to buy you a beer. 🙂 Whether your post will break open this problem or not.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

@Federico Simionato  ⚠️ This looks at least like a reproduction of this problem, which you asked me for in a DM. In addidtion to the note shard/URL's I send you today of the notes gone wrong on my side, I want to mention I do not edit the same note on different devices like eric99 mentions, HOWEVER, I do sync with 5 devices and HOWEVER I do work a lot with "Open in New Window" at the same time that the Main Window is open with a note visible in it, and there I saw the same behaviour as eric99, my editing window showed nothing that it would not be synced correctly, however my main window doesn't contain the changes. History doesn't contain the edits.

@eric99 If I ever meet you, remember me to buy you a beer. 🙂 Whether your post will break open this problem or not.

I should emphasize I didn't edit the same note on different devices either, just on the windows client. I opened it concurrently on 2 other devices just for reading... So, I think this is probably almost the same as your problem...

Edit: I saved the logfiles, timestamps and other related context, but since all my previous tickets were 'closed' without solving them, I'm not sure that raising a ticket would contribute to the resolution of this problem. My tickets never get further than first or second line support 😕

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, eric99 said:

I should emphasize I didn't edit the same note on different devices either, just on the windows client. I opened it concurrently on 2 other devices just for reading... So, I think this is probably almost the same as your problem...

Edit: I saved the logfiles, timestamps and other related context, but since all my previous tickets were 'closed' without solving them, I'm not sure that raising a ticket would contribute to the resolution of this problem. My tickets never get further than first or second line support 😕

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Please submit a ticket. Closed tickets indicate that first level support has passed the issue upwards rather than that the issue has been abandoned.

Are you sure about that? I opened a ticket with logs and even sent a link to Federico's comment on this thread acknowledging the data loss issue. However, since I reported that I didn't need help recovering the note (as by then I had both restored from history and recreated the changes from memory), the support rep told me this (my emphasis😞

Regarding the forum link that you've sent, I would like to let you know these issues are already reported to us and our team is working ceaselessly to fix this as soon as possible. Also, as you confirm that the missing information from your account has already been retrieved, I will not be able to transfer your ticket to our next level of support

The statement doesn't fill me with confidence that I've been added to the list of users experiencing this issue so that management can understand the full extent of the issue. At best this is clumsy wording, at worst I feel like my issue just hit the metaphorical shred bin inside the Evernote help desk. Something like this:
image.gif.4c77a1194be3c9ca503ac2d4678e9c4f.gif

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Closed tickets indicate that first level support has passed the issue upwards rather than that the issue has been abandoned.

Really??  How does the next level support continue tracking?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, eric99 said:

#1 I should emphasize I didn't edit the same note on different devices either, just on the windows client. I opened it concurrently on 2 other devices just for reading... So, I think this is probably almost the same as your problem...

#2a Edit: I saved the logfiles, timestamps and other related context, but since

#2b all my previous tickets were 'closed' without solving them, I'm not sure that raising a ticket would contribute to the resolution of this problem. My tickets never get further than first or second line support 😕

#1: Clear! 

#2a could you please re-open your ticket and adding your reproduction, your logfiles/timestamps and other stuff you haven't added yet, and send me a DM or post here the issue/ticket # nummer please. I have a small DM dialogue going on with @Federico Simionato asking me for repro/logs/etc..  I will send @Federico Simionato your issue number of the open ticket with reproduction in it.

#2b ⚠️I don't know what target of closing tickets the support of evernote is on, but I've had many tickets of clear bugs/issues being closed by support before I felt listend too or problems had been solved. I am a COO of a software company myself with 10.000's of end-users, and support of Evernote is too trigger-happy on closing issues to my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Evernote Expert

Evernote Experts have been told emphatically that tickets with the UID, date, & logs are wanted.

The support ticket system doesn't track an issue beyond receiving the report & dealing with the customer. A closed ticket doesn't mean that the issue is resolved. It does mean that there will be no further update for the customer.

3 hours ago, MvdH said:

#2a could you please re-open your ticket and adding your reproduction, your logfiles/timestamps and other stuff you haven't added yet, and send me a DM or post here the issue/ticket # nummer please. I have a small DM dialogue going on with @Federico Simionato asking me for repro/logs/etc..  I will send @Federico Simionato your issue number of the open ticket with reproduction in it.

#2b ⚠️I don't know what target of closing tickets the support of evernote is on, but I've had many tickets of clear bugs/issues being closed by support before I felt listend too or problems had been solved. I am a COO of a software company myself with 10.000's of end-users, and support of Evernote is too trigger-happy on closing issues to my opinion. 

Appreciate that, while mentioned below are the ticket numbers, i.e. 

Ticket# 3687884 Ticket# 3692679 Ticket# 3690328 Ticket# 3687907 Ticket# 3687913 Ticket# 3687906 Ticket# 3687901 Ticket# 3687899 Ticket# 3687896 Ticket# 3687582

Please note, all these ticket numbers are mine. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MvdH said:

Poor support was mainly before Bending Spoons took over.  Since I feel like @Federico Simionato  and his team are more determined to address disastrous race condition bugs like this, I spent a little more time creating a ticket with all the info:
support ticket #3701143
If more testing or information is needed, developers are always welcome to contact me
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, agsteele said:

The support ticket system doesn't track an issue beyond receiving the report & dealing with the customer. A closed ticket doesn't mean that the issue is resolved. It does mean that there will be no further update for the customer.

It sounds like their metrics are only concerned with how quickly they respond to a customer complaint, and not how quickly problems get fixed, or even if they do get fixed.  I really hope they have a formal system in place that actually does track problem resolution.  If not, this could well explain why some problems seem to languish forever … they just fall off the radar.

Evernote had a bad habit of never specifically saying which bugs were fixed in a new release.  As a customer I found that very frustrating.  I had to report problems multiple times not knowing if the latest release had included a fix or not.  Over time I stopped actively reporting problems over and over.  That said, @Federico Simionato communications are an improvement and I’m hoping that Bending Spoons will take this further.

• Like 8
  • Administrator

Here I am.

I recognize that your support experience might not always solve your specific problem, and I hope we'll make this better in the future. What opening tickets already does, though, is giving us real-world data to diagnose issues. This is the most important thing to make sure we prioritize the issue correctly and fix the root cause, preventing it from happening in the future.

About this: I am happy to report that we did observe much fewer tickets opened for these two issues:

• Note loading times – both server-side metrics and customer support tickets indicate that the problem is very much under control, with pretty occasional occurrences that we're working to eliminate completely. Let me know if this doesn't match your experience.
  • Tasks sync – we believe the note loading time issue was making this one worse. Still, we are working to make sure that not only symptoms are cured, but we eliminate the root cause.

We are prioritizing two "new" issues that were mentioned both here and in some customer support tickets:

• Missing text inside notes
  • Missing attachments (spinning wheel)

To be clear: they both seem to happen way more rarely than the previous two did when I first posted, but I figured you'd appreciate an update on our priorities. So you can tell me if this doesn't match your experience.

I'll report back on Monday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

I recognize that your support experience might not always solve your specific problem, and I hope we'll make this better in the future. What opening tickets already does, though, is giving us real-world data to diagnose issues. This is the most important thing to make sure we prioritize the issue correctly and fix the root cause, preventing it from happening in the future.

Thank you for reporting back.  I agree with the importance of opening tickets and reporting the problems.  I was commenting more on two related issues.  There was an earlier comment by another user that tickets are closed out after discussion with customers is complete, but before the problem is actually fixed.   I've experienced this in the past and don't doubt it.  I was wondering how problems are tracked to completion.  That is still unclear to me, since once the ticket is closed there is no more follow up with the customer.  Hopefully, they are maintained in a backlog and worked through over time. 

The other issue is that new version notes rarely include which fixes are actually fixed.  Sometimes there are general comments but rarely specifics.  In the past I have spent time and effort reproducing problems on new releases, only learning from support later that the problem was still open.  With the number of users of Evernote, I wouldn't expect personal closure with each of us, but a more detailed fix list in the version notes would be appreciated.

• Like 4
On 6/13/2023 at 2:19 PM, eric99 said:

• I started my android client which was not synced for a day, so several notes needed to be synced
  • While my phone was still busy with syncing , I opened the newly created note concurrently (just for reading)
  • I opened the same note in the Web Client, concurrently (just reading) with android and windows client: even there only 1 line was visible in the note although the original note in the windows client contained 3 lines.

EN v10.58.3

Hi @eric99

I followed these steps a few times and couldn't reproduce the problem. Can you DM me your logs and the URL of the note you lost data from? 

• Level 5

Just FYI, my Evernote Web client just updated to v. 10.58.5. Release notes (brief and informative!):

New

• Spreadsheet Preview setting under Preferences/Notes

Fixed

• Note duplication with attachments
  • Note counts
  • AI Cleanup fixes
  • Real Time Editing fixes

My Windows desktop app is still on 10.57.1 (I haven't taken the time to download from evernote.com).

On 6/12/2023 at 11:47 AM, Federico Simionato said:

I'll report back on Wednesday.

6 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

To be clear: they both seem to happen way more rarely than the previous two did when I first posted, but I figured you'd appreciate an update on our priorities. So you can tell me if this doesn't match your experience.

I'll report back on Monday.

Can we also get an update on the note reverting to a previous version?

Also, as I mentioned upthread, I opened a ticket and provided logs, but my ticket was closed and it didn't sound like the logs were looked at by the agent (and not clear whether they were sent to anyone, either). 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
On 6/14/2023 at 8:51 PM, Federico Simionato said:

We are prioritizing two "new" issues that were mentioned both here and in some customer support tickets:

• Missing text inside notes
  • Missing attachments (spinning wheel)

I'm currently running Evernote Desktop v10.58.5-win-ddl-public (4156) Editor: v172.19.3 Service: v1.69.4 on a Win10Pro (v22H2) PC and most if not all of my older notes prior to 2023 open entirely blank. When I open a note, Evernote may or may not populate the note with content and only after a very lengthy period of time (10+ seconds). If I navigate away to a different note and come back to the same note, the previously opened note is again blank. And apparently not all earlier notes have a previous revision from which I can retrieve the content.

And as far as I can tell, Evernote on my mobile devices (Android and iOS) loads notes within seconds. It's only on Desktop that this issue occurs.

I am not an expert user or a techie by any means, but I've used Evernote since 2010 and have not encountered such severe usability issues until now.

3 hours ago, JenTo said:

I'm currently running ... may or may not populate the note with content and only after a very lengthy period of time (10+ seconds). If I navigate away to a different note and come back to the same note, the previously opened note is again blank

Hi there. I am on the exact same version on Windows. My old notes of about 2 pages if they were printed, take about 3 seconds to open, each time. Not a conversion issue.On a Win11 Pro, i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB memory. Not near 10+ seconds. On Android it is a bit slower for me, but they do all open and do not stay blank.

On 6/15/2023 at 12:32 PM, eric99 said:

Please let us know if data loss still occurs.

I stick with 10.58.3 until Nick.L has investigated my logfiles, just in case I need to test more with that specific release.

Been using version 10.58.5 for a day now. Normally it happens about once a day to me that I notice. It has nog happend yet. It feels like it might be fixed. The merging notes or pasting images/attachments errors and losing data bug is still there and not fixed, yet: 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, MvdH said:

Been using version 10.58.5 for a day now. Normally it happens about once a day to me that I notice. It has nog happend yet.

Same here.  No issue with tasks so far.

18 horas atrás, Nick L. disse:

Hey folks, 

Yesterday the Evernote team deployed a backend update to the real time editing service that will address the majority of the issues related to slow note opening. It will also help alleviate some other issues that appeared as a result of a cascading effect due to the slowness in loading notes (some tasks problems). 

This backend release focuses on a few things, but most importantly:

1. Faster load times of the notes
2. Faster "content merge" of the notes, meaning that content edited in two different places will merge faster, regardless of how much data it is. 
3. Fewer errors and disconnects with the real time editing service.  

The fix is live now (no need for software updates). Please let me know if you are not seeing any improvements on your end. 

Thanks again for everyone's support in helping us make a better product. 

Hi,
For me, EN 10.58.5, load times of the notes are better, but "Tasks" still with many problems and impossible to use.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Silvio'ss said:

Hi,
For me, EN 10.58.5, load times of the notes are better, but "Tasks" still with many problems and impossible to use.

Can you describe what the problems are?  So far I’m having no task issues with this latest build.

• Level 5

My Windows 10 laptop just updated to 10.58.5. I tested by opening several notes I haven't edited at in 2 or 3 years, and they opened virtually instantly, taking maybe a second or so at most, including one that was long and complicated. Similar with 10.58.5 in the Web client, even on 8-year-old-notes with lots of images. Impressive! Don't know if it's the new version, the back-end work, or both, but it's great.

The release notes mention 2 items without giving details. "New printing functionality"--anyone know what that is? "Hardware Acceleration Disable under Preferences/Application," with no indication why one would do that or what the benefits and risks would be, even in Help & Learning.

1 hora atrás, s2sailor disse:

Can you describe what the problems are?  So far I’m having no task issues with this latest build.

3 tasks created after 1 minute and thirty seconds
This is not normal and makes the use of tasks useless.
Deleting a task sometimes results in an error.
When deleting a recurring task, the task returns after a few seconds

See my other post with EN10.58.3. Now with the latest EN version the issue repeat. 

SCR-20230617-g99.png

SCR-20230617-geh.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Silvio'ss said:

3 tasks created after 1 minute and thirty seconds
This is not normal and makes the use of tasks useless.
Deleting a task sometimes results in an error.
When deleting a recurring task, the task returns after a few seconds

I “haven’t” experienced these recently, but since posting I have experienced the delay when saving tasks.  I had a couple that took about 1 minute before they would save.  It seems to be intermittent, but I agree, the task problem is not fixed yet, even in the current release which is now 10.58.5.

• Like 1
Em 09/06/2023 at 14:34, Federico Simionato disse:

All my Tasks are gone.
How can I recover; since I can no longer recreate the same tasks?
What's going on with Evernote?
Opening a ticket asking for help is no longer useful; there is no return.
Everything has been abandoned and our precious data is going who knows where.
Evernote is important to all users and would like respect from developers.
Everything fails on EN But the billing process never fails.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Silvio'ss said:

All my Tasks are gone.
How can I recover;

So, all of your notes are there but just your tasks are missing, is that correct?  There are problems with tasks, but no one, that I've seen, has reported them all missing.  Have you checked your other devices and more importantly the web?  Search for a note called "Things to Do."  If you don't create a note first and add a task to it, that is the default note that all tasks go into.  Maybe you accidentally deleted that note.  Check the trash.

• Like 1
43 minutos atrás, s2sailor disse:

So, all of your notes are there but just your tasks are missing, is that correct?  There are problems with tasks, but no one, that I've seen, has reported them all missing.  Have you checked your other devices and more importantly the web?  Search for a note called "Things to Do."  If you don't create a note first and add a task to it, that is the default note that all tasks go into.  Maybe you accidentally deleted that note.  Check the trash.

My tasks show up on other devices and on the web. only on my macbook they do not load.
I've already deleted the Evernote app twice and I can't resolve it.

• Evernote Expert

So, why not work during the web for now and open a support ticket too await the outcome.

You don't say whether you have the direct download app or get the app from the app Store. If from the Store I'd recommend uninstalling and using the direct download version.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Silvio'ss said:

My tasks show up on other devices and on the web. only on my macbook they do not load.

So, this is something completely different from "all my tasks are gone",  at least no data loss...

2 minutos atrás, eric99 disse:

So, this is something completely different from "all my tasks are gone",  at least no data loss...

Yes, it didn't do much damage, but I'm unable to use EN on my Mac.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Silvio'ss said:

Ok, a couple of more thoughts.  When you deleted the app from your Mac, do you also let it delete the database so that it will download a fresh copy on reinstall?  Sometimes, if there is a problem with the database, that will clear it.  Another option is to fully erase Evernote using something like AppCleaner before you reinstall.  To @agsteele's point, I would suggest a direct download from the Evernote site instead of the Apple store.

• Like 2
8 minutos atrás, s2sailor disse:

Ok, a couple of more thoughts.  When you deleted the app from your Mac, do you also let it delete the database so that it will download a fresh copy on reinstall?  Sometimes, if there is a problem with the database, that will clear it.  Another option is to fully erase Evernote using something like AppCleaner before you reinstall.  To @agsteele's point, I would suggest a direct download from the Evernote site instead of the Apple store.

All these precautions were taken and I even used CleanMyMac to remove all traces of the EN.
Perhaps my synchronization on this notebook got stuck on the EN server.
On the web everything is fine, but I'm always on the go without internet and I'm completely without action.
I've been using EN since 2009 and I have 20,000 notes, my dependency has gotten so big that I'm not getting a replacement for EN.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Silvio'ss said:

All these precautions were taken and I even used CleanMyMac to remove all traces of the EN.

This is really strange.  My bag of tricks is empty.  I know you aren't too keen on opening another ticket, but unless another user comes up with something, I see no other option.  It may take them a while to respond, but your log file may help them get to the bottom of this.

8 hours ago, Silvio'ss said:

On the web everything is fine, but I'm always on the go without internet and I'm completely without action.
I've been using EN since 2009 and I have 20,000 notes, my dependency has gotten so big that I'm not getting a replacement for EN.

Me too, even my dependency on EN, has been so much that, neither am I able to replace them nor are they able to solve the issues. 

9 hours ago, Silvio'ss said:

Hi @Silvio'ss. I've concluded there is also some damage in my data on the Evernote servers. When I freshly reinstall Evernote on Android, I always get one notebook showing up duplicate, and no default notebook. Something that does not happen to 99,9% of the users, if I understood Evernote support correctly. For me however it is not a showstopper, just a nuisance. However, it seems that 'wrong' or 'damaged' old data on the servers of Evernote can cause problems on the client side, like yours. I'm a decennium+ veteran myself. Maybe it's something caused long long ago.

I hope support can take your problem to a level of tech support that can solve it!

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

Hi @Silvio'ss. I've concluded there is also some damage in my data on the Evernote servers. When I freshly reinstall Evernote on Android, I always get one notebook showing up duplicate, and no default notebook. Something that does not happen to 99,9% of the users, if I understood Evernote support correctly. For me however it is not a showstopper, just a nuisance. However, it seems that 'wrong' or 'damaged' old data on the servers of Evernote can cause problems on the client side, like yours. I'm a decennium+ veteran myself. Maybe it's something caused long long ago.

I hope support can take your problem to a level of tech support that can solve it!

Yes, last year support engineers also rebuilt/fixed my database on the server side with good results...

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Silvio'ss said:

What's wrong with all these apple devices?

• Level 5

I would say: Nothing. I run a full Apple setup, and everything works. Maybe just luck, who knows.

Apple does not recommend CleanMyMac. It is known to be too aggressive sometimes. The best tool for a full removal of any app - code, settings, data - is the app AppCleaner.

Not sure on AppStore installs - there MacOS has additional protective measures, that can get into the way. But in case it doesn’t work with AppCleaner, this should be the folder path for a manual removal, after the app itself is gone. The initial symbol stands for the user folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data

On iOS the full download is possible, given the iPad has sufficient resources. It was vastly improved during the last 6 months or so. Each note has a little indicator, showing download status.

• Like 2
On 6/9/2023 at 7:34 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Federico, what about the problem with smart filing and the web clipper (https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/145265-smart-filing-seems-to-have-stopped-working/#comment-678277? This is a huge issue for some users, myself included. I filed a support request 2 months ago and the issue has not been fixed. I have paid a lot of money over the years really just for the web clipper, so this loss of functionality and little feedback apart from scripted replies ("our engineering team is aware of this issue and they're working vigilantly to correct it. I want to assure you that your concern has been taken seriously. Our dedicated team of developers and designers is diligently working to rectify this issue and create a smoother, more intuitive experience for all of our customers.") rings hollow and undermines your brand promise of improving the user experience (and saying that is why we need price increases).

• Thanks 2
  • Administrator

Apologies for not updating this thread yesterday.

I confirm that we are seeing a substantial decrease in technical issues tickets.

We consider the loading time issue to be solved.

We are making progress on tasks synchronisation and on text content loss, although I don’t have a specific date to share right now.

I’ll update you next Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Silvio'ss said:

All my Tasks are gone.
How can I recover; since I can no longer recreate the same tasks?
What's going on with Evernote?
Opening a ticket asking for help is no longer useful; there is no return.
Everything has been abandoned and our precious data is going who knows where.
Evernote is important to all users and would like respect from developers.
Everything fails on EN But the billing process never fails.

Please don't repeat yourself.  We've already gone down this path less than a day ago.

• Like 1
1 minuto atrás, s2sailor disse:

Please don't repeat yourself.  We've already gone down this path less than a day ago.

Sorry it was a mistake, post deleted, And I know the importance of maintaining a standard here on the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I have had most of my tasks completely disappear in the past few days. I now only have 103 tasks in total, of which 72 are completed and 31 open. Previously I had over 90 open tasks. They are missing from iOS, Windows, and web. I raised a support ticket yesterday but it hasn't been followed up by support.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Mike L said:

I raised a support ticket yesterday but it hasn't been followed up by support.

It may take them a few days to get back to you.  I’ve had some problems with tasks lately,  that support is aware of, but no missing tasks that I’m aware of, or hmmm … maybe that is why I seem to have more free time lately.

As a thought, unless you created new notes for your tasks they should be in a note titled Things to do.  If you are on a payment plan you will have access to note history.  Maybe you will have a backup of that note with all of your tasks there.  That said, I just checked on my system and that note hasn’t been backed up in a month, though it gets updated daily, so this special note may be excluded, for some reason, from their typical backup.

• Like 1

Hi, I had created some tasks in separate notes, and most of those are still there, but the majority were in the default things to do note. 
Thanks for the tip on the Note History. I can see a version from 27th May that has many of the missing tasks in it. I have been able to restore that at least to keep me going so I'm only missing about three weeks' of updates until Evernote themselves actually respond.

I wonder why that note only creates a history entry so rarely. I have been using tasks virtually every day.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

I confirm that we are seeing a substantial decrease in technical issues tickets.

We are making progress on tasks synchronisation and on text content loss, although I don’t have a specific date to share right now.

we are seeing a substantial decrease in technical issues tickets…because it could be a reason, that people can’t wait any longer for you to resolve the issues as it has taken ages for you guys to solve it and probably have shifted themselves, because people like me, who had their life’s dependent on EN, and wasted so much time of their productive day trying to fix and waiting for you guy to fix up the issues, have lost faith, because EN is not part of our work, it’s a tool to help us manage our work, which doesn’t mean that, it should severely effect our work. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike L said:

I wonder why that note only creates a history entry so rarely. I have been using tasks virtually every day.

I’m glad to hear that you were able to get some tasks back. I was also surprised to see that this note wasn’t backed up as often as others are.  As I understand it notes are typically backed up about three times a day and with tasks being updated so often that note should have many back ups. I wonder if all notes with tasks are handled differently.  If they are, I hope Evernote rethinks that.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, s2sailor said:

If they are, I hope Evernote rethinks that.

Me too. If they don't then it doesn't give me much confidence that I can continue to rely on tasks as I have been.

Maybe adding / changing tasks only in a note does not trigger the versioning process - which would be a bug. I will do some testing if I can reproduce this. Without versioning of task edits we definitely could not rely on tasks in EN.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Note loading seems to have improved. But certainly not fixed. Some notes still take forever to load … Even notes that have been opened on my computer yesterday are struggling to open today. We can’t keep going on like this forever, for now « i can live with it » but it’s getting very much to te level of frustration and losing so much time « by using a prodictivity software ». Note loading should get close to instantly, and that’s clearly not the case right now. I do understand that it’ll go in fases but there is still a lot of improvement to be made.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, iBertje said:

Note loading seems to have improved. But certainly not fixed. Some notes still take forever to load … Even notes that have been opened on my computer yesterday are struggling to open today. We can’t keep going on like this forever, for now « i can live with it » but it’s getting very much to te level of frustration and losing so much time « by using a prodictivity software ». Note loading should get close to instantly, and that’s clearly not the case right now. I do understand that it’ll go in fases but there is still a lot of improvement to be made.

I tried to export notes by Notebook in order to move to Upnote to try and basically it did not work. Luckily I still have the legacy program and notebooks with 1,000+ notes exported in seconds.

A separate issue, but my notes do not download on my iPhone or iPad - the circles just spin...

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Mike L said:

Same here.  I submitted a support ticket with this observation.  I’ll report back what they say.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

About export: You could try to go offline, and export then.

Have you tried that yourself? Even though my 3800 notes are all offline, my windows client refuses to export without connection. 🙄

Offline export is perfectly possible in legacy...

3 hours ago, RNRNRN said:

I tried to export notes by Notebook in order to move to Upnote to try and basically it did not work.

What do you mean by "basically it did not work". Was it impossible to export, or was the export corrupted in some way?

Notebooks with a few notes exported (slowly). Notebooks with more than 20 notes never did.

in terms of the iPad downloading, I tried the suggestion offered. It is a challenging process. When you try to push the button to off, it keeps going back to on. Had to repeat the process several times with each notebook. The notes will only download, it seems, if the app is active on your iPad, meaning in front of other apps, or in a split screen.

4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Same here.  I submitted a support ticket with this observation.  I’ll report back what they say.

Good luck. I still have not had a reply to my ticket, even to say something along the lines of "we are sorry, this is part of an ongoing issue we are aware of and fixing..." Seriously unimpressed.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

Did you receive an automatic answer, stating ticket number and usually some help articles ?

If not, the ticket was not received, or the answer got lost.

If yes, they added 2 buttons at the bottom: OK, still need help, or My question was answered (by the attached links). To make sure your ticket is not in a loop waiting for your answer, you should click to get help.

My tickets usually take less than a day until a first real contact is made.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If yes, they added 2 buttons at the bottom: OK, still need help, or My question was answered (by the attached links).

No buttons that I can see.  A response from one earlier today.image.thumb.png.9bf84daee7eb3185d6baf6caf79aba47.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

Did you carry out submitting the log files as requested?

I'm not sure if this is directed to me or someone further up the chain, but if me, then yes, a log file was submitted.

• Like 1