Notes showing up as View Only

As Icc said yesterday, version 10.13 does NOT fix the problem. However, this workaround still works:

Workaround for Android:

1. Close the app - swipe them off the screen from the "recent apps" view.

2. Restart the app - hopefully you can edit a note again. If not, repeat step 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

Thanks @PeteMacca. Your workaround makes me wonder whether those NOT suffering from this are, like me, those that regularly reboot their phones. I turn mine off overnight so start each day afresh. So effectively I restart the app at least once a day and my OCD means I will clear out the recent apps view from time-to-time so the same result.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:12 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports!  We are working on a fix for this issue that is scheduled for the next release.  Until this issue is solved we found that sometimes quitting  the app or closing the note and reopening  fixes the issue.

Thank you for your patience while we work on a fix. 

While I continue to experience this problem frequently, even on android 10.13, fortunately i have never had to restart my phone or uninstall/reinstall or exit the app.  i keep going into the note, sometimes other notes, scrolling, and eventually (on average 5-10 times) the edit option finally appears in place of the view mode message.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:12 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports!  We are working on a fix for this issue that is scheduled for the next release.  Until this issue is solved we found that sometimes quitting  the app or closing the note and reopening  fixes the issue.

Thank you for your patience while we work on a fix. 

It’s July 16 and still happening.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, agsteele said:

Thanks @PeteMacca. Your workaround makes me wonder whether those NOT suffering from this are, like me, those that regularly reboot their phones. I turn mine off overnight so start each day afresh. So effectively I restart the app at least once a day and my OCD means I will clear out the recent apps view from time-to-time so the same result.

Maybe not, @agsteele. I also turn my phone off each night as well. But I still need to restart the app before I can edit a note. Hoping the next release will fix it for good.

• Like 1

July 16th, last update yesterday.

Still opens notes in View Only and requires multiple close-open to get edit option. May have to stop paying for paid version and look for another app.

This issue needs to be fixed.

I was also suffering from this with 10.13 too. When it happened I had to do nothing but WAIT for appr. 15-20 seconds. Then the status of the notes changed to normal. As with everything...Waiting is our new Evernote! 😔 I also cannot understand why this is not an urgent issue which leads to a direct rollback to version 12  prior a bug fixing attempt. Well I am having also a hard time realizing that it is obviously not possible for devs to track back the code changes from "EN10-style"-working version to "disaster"-version since weeks.

• Like 1

Hey Folks, 

10.13.1 with a fix to reduce the occurrence of "view only" to your notes is out today. If you haven't received the update yet, sit tight as it's coming soon to your device. 

• Thanks 3

So I'm not alone in this.  I thought I had mistakenly hit some setting and couldn't find out why I was always getting view only.  I finally searched up why and read several of the comments above.  Now sure I'm frustrated with the app, but I'm not going to say the Evernote staff should jump off a bridge like other jerk did, but if this isn't fixed soon, I'm going to find another app to take my notes in.  I don't have time to open this thing 4-6 times to get it to work.

This is a MAJOR bug that should have been a showstopper to a release.  Can you please proactively communicate with your effected customers about what is happening and when you expect it to be fixed?  Proactive communication might have prevented many of your customers from communicating with you through the ratings system at the app store.  Not everyone knows how to find these forums.  I hope you don't lose too many customers over this.  Not cool.

• Level 5

Hi All,

To clarify, you will need to update to version 10.13.1 in order to receive the app improvements/fixes.

If you are still encountering this issue after updating to 10.13.1, please let us know.

• Like 1
On 7/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, Nick L. said:

Hey Folks, 

10.13.1 with a fix to reduce the occurrence of "view only" to your notes is out today. If you haven't received the update yet, sit tight as it's coming soon to your device. 

I just did the update. Thanks for fixing this.

I've been an Evernote user since 2012, and the main functionality I need from it is the quick ability to update notes on my phone, which I can also access via my computer. But I use it 75% of the time with my phone. This problem had been frustrating me so much, that I was ready to switch to another service. 

For instance, the most basic thing I use it for is a grocery list. Yet every time I would open Evernote on my phone to add an item to my grocery list, it would take several minutes for the database to update on the phone and make the grocery list note editable. So it became useless for reminder lists that one might update on their phone. 

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you because I feel like this is a bug that should never make it past your internal Evernote team testing as it kills basic usability of Evernote for Android users. I hope your team will do better at testing new releases in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to everyone who posted. It's good to know one is not alone or crazy. Plus, so many people chiming in I'm sure makes the developers prioritize taking action to resolve the glitch.

I just updated my app through Google Play Store. Initial testing seems to indicate the update resolved the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I seem to have a to be synced icon that won’t disappear on these “stuck” notes.   Geez. Even if I force a sync on IOS the icon sticks, though sync complete was displayed.  This is FUBAR. 

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Are you updated to 10.13.1 yet ? 

Just did on my phone.  No issues at this point and a couple of log notes I use during the day seem to be willing to let go of the to be synced icon which is a good thing.  That generates more faith, through reserved faith.  Will check the iPad later.  Thanks.

• Like 1
On 6/27/2021 at 10:22 PM, Guest Jst said:

Just recently (the past two days) when I open a note it opens as view only... I haven't seen this before.  I usually fix it  by closing down & reopening the app, and then the note opens in edit mode.  Any additional information about this would be helpful.

Note, cleaning out some bulkier large files (ones w\ lots of photos) that I didn't need has helped to curb this issue as well.  I moved the notes to trash then emptied the trash.

10.13.2 does not completely fix the issue for me. Got to wait before being able to edit a note occasionally for around 15 seconds. Meanwhile there is a green circle spinning, were the edit button should be. So "write protected" was changed to green circle spinning...arggg.

It happens a lot less than before but it is not resolved completely.

• Level 5

This AFAIK has nothing to do with the prior problem. It just means the note is not available locally and needs to be downloaded from the server.

Factors are note size and internet speed, among others. The larger (including attachments) and the slower, the more likely this will show.

If you think it is a bug, issue a support ticket.

From my side, version 10.13.2 seems to have fixed the problem on my smartphone.
It is in the version for PC that I have from time to time when opening Evernote a green circle which turns for ten seconds before being able to edit a note.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Cyberdom said:

From my side, version 10.13.2 seems to have fixed the problem on my smartphone.
It is in the version for PC that I have from time to time when opening Evernote a green circle which turns for ten seconds before being able to edit a note.

I think that will be a different issue. This is the Android sub-forum and it does seem that version 13.1 provided a resolution to the specific Android issue. If you are a subscriber you could consider raising a support ticket for your PC issue or raise the topic the Windows forum where there may be others with a similar issue.

43 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This AFAIK has nothing to do with the prior problem. It just means the note is not available locally and needs to be downloaded from the server.

Factors are note size and internet speed, among others. The larger (including attachments) and the slower, the more likely this will show.

If you think it is a bug, issue a support ticket.

What are you telling? The whole note is visible and accessible while the green circle is showing the only thing which is not possible is editing as described. The circle you mean is in the center of the screen not directly IN the edit button. We are in the Android forum here.

• Level 5

The prior problem was the note was „read only“ - I assume the edit protection kicked in even when it was not selected in settings.

This time the note is not locked, but something is still loading. To me this looks like another issue, with the same effect: You ask yourself when will it stop, so I can proceed.

IMHO first everybody should be encouraged to update to 10.13.1 (or now 10.13.2) because it solves the lockup problem. Makes no sense to tell the update won’t work, when it solves one issue.

And then everybody not happy (which I understand, waiting sucks) should issue new tickets, with activity logs if possible.

We all want a responsive, functional solution, that’s what we pay for. As long as there are still issues, support tickets are the means to make EN continue improving.

17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The prior problem was the note was „read only“ - I assume the edit protection kicked in even when it was not selected in settings.

This time the note is not locked, but something is still loading. To me this looks like another issue, with the same effect: You ask yourself when will it stop, so I can proceed.

IMHO first everybody should be encouraged to update to 10.13.1 (or now 10.13.2) because it solves the lockup problem. Makes no sense to tell the update won’t work, when it solves one issue.

And then everybody not happy (which I understand, waiting sucks) should issue new tickets, with activity logs if possible.

We all want a responsive, functional solution, that’s what we pay for. As long as there are still issues, support tickets are the means to make EN continue improving.

As I wrote the note is locked and cannot be edited while waiting exactly the 15 seconds as before. The only different is showing the green circle at the exact position of prior "write protected". @PinkElephant I am tired of defending every new posting here. Support informed us, they did advances to "reduce" this problem (did not say it is gone). You can read it in this thread. I just wanted to confirm that is not gone on my devices. Maybe forums admins are more interested.

I have been having the problem of notes opening up as View Only for at least 1 month. I was a basic subscriber and thought maybe if I upgraded, I wouldn't have the problem. So I'm now a paid member and still having my notes come up as View Only. If I go to 4 or 5 other notes, they eventually change to Edit, and I can go back to the note I wanted in the first place, and edit. But this is a real pain in the neck and I'm ready to cancel Evernote. They need to fix this, as it's obviously a known issue.

On 7/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, Alxa said:

As I wrote the note is locked and cannot be edited while waiting exactly the 15 seconds as before. The only different is showing the green circle at the exact position of prior "write protected". @PinkElephant I am tired of defending every new posting here. Support informed us, they did advances to "reduce" this problem (did not say it is gone). You can read it in this thread. I just wanted to confirm that is not gone on my devices. Maybe forums admins are more interested.

Have you tried clearing app data and cache? That fixed some obscure problem I had.

Anyway, 10.13.1/10.13.2 fixed my view only issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

We have a fellow user here who seems to believe that every fix for an issue will fix it all.

Like a magic wand for devs, advanced level.

The „read only“ bug was fixed with 10.13.1 / 2, for me as well (on iOS).

Now there is a claim that still notes show a „downloading“ circle for about 15sec. Not locked as before, but loading, which prevents editing as well. This is plausible, because EN by default downloads only parts of a note when building the initial database on an Android (mobile) device. The rest of the note is only loaded when a note is opened.

Depending on note size (attachments) and internet Speed this may take a few seconds. But sure, waiting is not what you want when you open a note.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We have a fellow user here who seems to believe that every fix for an issue will fix it all.

Like a magic wand for devs, advanced level.

The „read only“ bug was fixed with 10.13.1 / 2, for me as well (on iOS).

Now there is a claim that still notes show a „downloading“ circle for about 15sec. Not locked as before, but loading, which prevents editing as well. This is plausible, because EN by default downloads only parts of a note when building the initial database on an Android (mobile) device. The rest of the note is only loaded when a note is opened.

Depending on note size (attachments) and internet Speed this may take a few seconds. But sure, waiting is not what you want when you open a note.

I think you did not read the last posts thoroughly, but keep repeating it is a loading problem.... Your speaking about other users is presumptuous. I do not get the motivation.

21 minutes ago, DarkUltra said:

Have you tried clearing app data and cache? That fixed some obscure problem I had.

Anyway, 10.13.1/10.13.2 fixed my view only issue.

Good idea, I just did that and will report if I will ever see the edit lockup again.

• Level 5

I don’t like to repeat posts I did: The „read only“ problem of the mobile apps seems to have been fixed with 10.13.1 / 2.

Everybody experiencing this bug is recommended to install this version of the mobile client, for Android and iOS.

For another issue showing a „loading“ circle without setting the note to „read only“ status reported here 10.13.1 / 2 is no fix, and from the release notes AFAIK it is not intended as such.

If there is a problem to fix, and what this fix will be, time will tell.

Yep - getting this too.. past few days.

Evernote seems to be becoming bloated and clunky with unwarranted 'improvements' - what used to be an agile, intuitive list app is fast becoming the opposite.

Quit with the constant updates!

• Level 5

Getting - what ?

The thread is named "Notes showing up as view only". View only means they are locked, marked as being read only. Not anything else.

Is it that ? Then update to at least 10.13.2, current release would be 13.14.

Or something else ?

Then search for a thread that correctly describes your problem, or start a new one, if finding none.

Would be nice to know directly from EverNote about issues affecting its use rather than having to Google search an answer to arrive at the forum to read an answer by EverNote.  A simple bulk email or message via EverNote would help rather than convoluted searching. 

• Level 5

No provider I know of runs a list with all known bugs, open to everybody to devour. 

There may be a warning of an imminent problem, like „server is down on Wednesday for maintenance“. By law a company must warn the public when there is an imminent danger arising from a product. I can’t really think about a situation where a service like EN would have to run a „product recall“. But that is pretty much it with „need to tell“.

If you approach support, they will tell you if they already have a problem in the fixing cycle, or offer a workaround. Fine with me.

Or come to the forum, always a good idea !

With an update two days ago, my go-to Android Evernote app is now useless. I cannot create new notes, edit notes, accept shared pages from other apps. I totally rely on this app and am shocked that this version could have passed testing.

Please fix this ASAP. 

• Level 5

Sorry, you don‘t post which version you are running. I can assume it may be 10.14 (which would be the current version), but it may be 10.13.2 as well. If it doesn’t work, make a clean uninstall, switch your phone off (completely !) after doing so, restart it and reinstall.

The Android app has its share of trouble, it seems, but what you describe is an individual problem, likely caused by a bad install.

Hello PinkElephant I am running 10.14 and the notations say they were updated on 7/26/21 - The point at which my problems started

I am running on two different mobile devices - a Samsung Note phone, a Samsung Note table and of course the desktop.

No problems with the desktop.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times on both devices - yesterday and today.(at least 10 times). Two different devices - same issues. I am a Technology Project Manager and am used to testing and troubleshooting upgrades

If I try a snapshot on my phone it takes the shot looks like it creates a note, but will spin forever.

If I try to create a text note - the note comes up - I can type, but the save checkbox is grayed out

If I try to view an existing note with a saved photo or attachment - I get two error messages - could not load attachment and then a popup Error - Unable to download the selected item

All of this since the update on 7/26/21

Any other ideas - I appreciate your help

Hello PinkElephant, I was on the Personal plan. When I continued having the issues I upgraded to Professional to see if that would correct it, but it did not.

So I am on the Professional plan now - but still having the issues

Thanks Jim

Hello PinkElephant, I was on the Personal plan. When I continued having the issues I upgraded to Professional to see if that would correct it, but it did not.

So I am on the Professional plan now - but still having the issues

I have tried everything - removing app, rebooting - reloading - same issues still happening on both my phone and tablet since the 7/26 update

Thanks Jim

• Level 5

Yes, I understand you tried a lot. Professional allows you to use additional,features, but the downloaded software and the core function is the same as with all the other plans - there is no special software for the plans, control is done through the server.

My question was for a specific action (logout - shut device down - restart - login). Because it cleans out memory artifacts and resets the server connection. Maybe you tried, but if you are not sure, it does no harm to try is again.

Hello PinkElephant I am running 10.14 and the notations say they were updated on 7/26/21 - The point at which my problems started

I am running on two different mobile devices - a Samsung Note phone, a Samsung Note table and of course the desktop.

No problems with the desktop.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times on both devices - yesterday and today.(at least 10 times). Two different devices - same issues. I am a Technology Project Manager and am used to testing and troubleshooting upgrades

If I try a snapshot on my phone it takes the shot looks like it creates a note, but will spin forever.

If I try to create a text note - the note comes up - I can type, but the save checkbox is grayed out

If I try to view an existing note with a saved photo or attachment - I get two error messages - could not load attachment and then a popup Error - Unable to download the selected item

All of this since the update on 7/26/21

Any other ideas - I appreciate your help

I have uninstalled and reinstalled - multiple times. Both restarting and shutting down my phone after removing the application

• 3 months later...

Here is what worked for me! Hopefully it works for you too. 🙂

Step 1. View the note on another device or through a different avenue. 
    Example: if you are experiencing the issue while in the app, open Evernote in the browser (just a heads up - apparently Evernote is not supported on Android browsers. So if you're an Android user, you may have to log on using another device like a laptop or another phone with the Evernote app downloaded). If you are experiencing the issue while in a browser, open Evernote in the app. I personally was using Evernote through the app on my phone when I experienced the issue, and then opened it in the browser on my laptop. 
Step 2. The note should be editable. Make a change to the note. Anything works -- all I did was add a period to the beginning of the note. Then save the changes and refresh. You can delete any changes you make later.
Step 3. Refresh your notes in the original device you were using. 
Step 4. There should now be two notes in the original device. One should be titled as normal, and the other should say "Note conflict" at the beginning of the note title. 
Step 5. The "Note conflict" version should contain your most recent changes to the note before the read-only or view-only issue happened. 
Step 6. Copy and paste any new changes from the "Note conflict" note to the other normally titled note.
Step 7. The "Note conflict" note can now be deleted, and the originally titled note can be used as normal. 

YAHWEH bless you!