Edits to existing notes not saving.. DATA LOSS!

iPhone 10x; iPad Pro; IOS 14.01; EN: 10.0.2.

Edit note. Close note. Open note: Edits GONE!!  This happens A LOT!  So much that I can no longer trust making edits on my IOS devices.  I use this app for everything in my life, yet, now, it is worthless.  How long should one wait before jumping ship?  Perhaps if EN would communicate, I could consider being more tolerable.  It's like they want us to go away.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I’m am having the same issues. I losing notes and data. I just updated to to iOS 14.1. And I am using an iPad Pro 4th GEN. I have never had this issue before with Evernote. I am disappointed to say the least. I am convinced that it is an iOS bug. I’m not having this issue on any other platform except iPad Pro.

This should not have been released with this meany issues. This is such an important to tool to so meany people. 

Evernote please fix this

• Like 1

I encountered the same problem - edits to existing notes were lost.  Problem with duplication of notes being edited also recurred, resulting in notes conflict.  Iphone 8, iOS13.7 & Evernote 10.0.4.

• Like 1

I have updated all my apps to Evernote 10.0.4. Yes I'm running Evernote on iOS. And it is as you say, I went to the web version and my notes are in the web version. The app still seems buggy. I wrote an email to support about the bugs that I'm seeing. I will copy that email and put it in this post. I like what I'm seeing. But I do see bugs.

Email I sent to support:

Thank you for getting back to me. I updated to 10.0.4. The update did seem to make the loss of data problems stop. But there seem to be  other issues the with thee app. 

1.  Notes disappear when I start to do a lot of searching. I’ll start a search and get the results. But after two or there times of refining the results, the notes  disappear or even the app freezes. 
  2. Internal links do not seem to work like they should. I will have to close out off the note or even close the app and then reopen the app, to make the links work.  
  3. The internal annotation app in Evernote does not seem to work on annotations that were created in older version of Evernote. I can create and annotate new PDFs in the newest version of Evernote. But there seems to be a bridge that is missing from the old to the new . 

Thanks Evernote team and best wishes.

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly the same issue with Evernote 10.0.4 on my iPad. I was editing a key document yesterday and spent a long time on it. Returned to it later and my edits had gone. Raised a support ticket and have heard nothing. What do I pay Premium for? Where is the “premium support”?

There are a number of other issues with 10 as well but data loss is a totally unacceptable show stopper. I’ve used Evernote extensively since March 2011 but last night I began looking at Apple Notes as an alternative. I must be able to rely on the security of my data, and work just disappearing makes any application unusable. The edits are not on the web version, phone version or laptop version. They have just gone.

Being ignored just rubs salt into the wound.

Unless resolved immediately (not holding my breath) this spells the beginning of a rapid end for Evernote. Sadly, because it is a great tool and a massive part of my workflow.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Stewart1958 said:

Exactly the same issue with Evernote 10.0.4 on my iPad. I was editing a key document yesterday and spent a long time on it. Returned to it later and my edits had gone. Raised a support ticket and have heard nothing. What do I pay Premium for? Where is the “premium support”?

There are a number of other issues with 10 as well but data loss is a totally unacceptable show stopper. I’ve used Evernote extensively since March 2011 but last night I began looking at Apple Notes as an alternative. I must be able to rely on the security of my data, and work just disappearing makes any application unusable. The edits are not on the web version, phone version or laptop version. They have just gone.

Being ignored just rubs salt into the wound.

Unless resolved immediately (not holding my breath) this spells the beginning of a rapid end for Evernote. Sadly, because it is a great tool and a massive part of my workflow.

This is a bug I was encountering in the Beta program and I have both posted to support the issue (brick wall) and here (everytime a user posts it staff respond with astonishment like its a new issue).  

What I have learnt (not sure if you are having the same issue) is Evernote for ios is not doing well when left in the background.  Normally, we use an app we hit home, we go back to the app when we need it, often its sitting in the memory waiting to go.  Not quite waiting to go in Evernotes case, I have found if the app is left in the background for long periods when we open it (the app opens in an open state not with the Evernote logo etc like its reopening) it doesnt sync anymore.  There is no clue, indication or anything that will tell you the data you are entering will be lost, it just takes in the data, we assume its syncing but its not, ultimately when the app refreshes all the data is completely lost and because its not been connecting to Evernote servers, the data is irretrievable.  My only solution is dont leave evernote in the background on ios, double click or swipe up and close the app if you wont be using it for a while.

I wish support would engage and acknowledge this issue, I have posted it here many times to try to help people avoid data loss, thats if its the same issue you are experiencing. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the insight.

I am spending some time today exporting my key notebooks from Evernote and building a workflow structure in Apple Notes as unfortunately I have lost confidence in Evernote. When I’ve sorted out importing and structure I will be cancelling my Evernote Premium subscription and will just use it for keeping legacy notes.

Losing data was the final straw for me. For a company to release a product with a known serious issue, and then to ignore it, is unacceptable.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stewart1958 said:

Thanks for the insight.

I am spending some time today exporting my key notebooks from Evernote and building a workflow structure in Apple Notes as unfortunately I have lost confidence in Evernote. When I’ve sorted out importing and structure I will be cancelling my Evernote Premium subscription and will just use it for keeping legacy notes.

Losing data was the final straw for me. For a company to release a product with a known serious issue, and then to ignore it, is unacceptable.

OK, migration to Apple Notes done. Maybe it’s to do with initial sync not having finished yet, but Notes seems to be rather laggy now I have a high volume of data. Notes is far from perfect and I would rather Evernote just worked. I don’t have time to run two systems in parallel so am going to have to make a final choice between them quickly, and genuinely don’t know which way to go - stick with Evernote who have non-existent support and a buggy app that loses data, or go with Notes and hope it turns out OK.

4 minutes ago, Stewart1958 said:

OK, migration to Apple Notes done. Maybe it’s to do with initial sync not having finished yet, but Notes seems to be rather laggy now I have a high volume of data. Notes is far from perfect and I would rather Evernote just worked. I don’t have time to run two systems in parallel so am going to have to make a final choice between them quickly, and genuinely don’t know which way to go - stick with Evernote who have non-existent support and a buggy app that loses data, or go with Notes and hope it turns out OK.

I personally would strongly suggest you persevered with Evernote, thats what I am doing. Apple notes is really handy and I use it, but its a feature where if you lost data I dont see them being too bothered, granted sadly we are having these here. 

I would say though if you plan doing any big work in Evernote open it from completely closed state, always be suspicious of it if you are pulling it from the background after its been there for a while - for now, i truly hope this gets resolved quickly.  That’s my resolution, and when open from fresh I have had no problems with anything, its when I pull it from background state after a long period of time.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

I personally would strongly suggest you persevered with Evernote, thats what I am doing. Apple notes is really handy and I use it, but its a feature where if you lost data I dont see them being too bothered, granted sadly we are having these here. 

I would say though if you plan doing any big work in Evernote open it from completely closed state, always be suspicious of it if you are pulling it from the background after its been there for a while - for now, i truly hope this gets resolved quickly.  That’s my resolution, and when open from fresh I have had no problems with anything, its when I pull it from background state after a long period of time.

Thanks. I will give this a go. 

I would clip this message into Evernote as I usually do but at the moment nothing I send to Evernote turns up. That’s a different issue I know, but symptomatic of the mess that is Evernote 10 at the moment.

Let’s hope someone senior at Evernote is actually reading about all the problems they have caused. They won’t even dare come onto chat support I’ve noticed. What a fiasco! My backup plan is a physical notebook and pen - I wonder if that will catch on...

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Stewart1958 said:

Thanks. I will give this a go. 

I would clip this message into Evernote as I usually do but at the moment nothing I send to Evernote turns up. That’s a different issue I know, but symptomatic of the mess that is Evernote 10 at the moment.

Let’s hope someone senior at Evernote is actually reading about all the problems they have caused. They won’t even dare come onto chat support I’ve noticed. What a fiasco! My backup plan is a physical notebook and pen - I wonder if that will catch on...

Notebooks and pens...what are these things you speak of 😂

yeah, Evernote 10 has been an.....interesting development. No doubt lots of teething issues and bugs which are causing a lot of frustrations. I do think that this new foundation presents an opportunity for the product to develop which is only really to our benefit in the end. That’s why I’m trying to be patient, between that and when I try a new notes app it’s always missing something that I like, be it tags or good search or offline notes. Evernote is having issues right now but if it gets past these we might just get a good product.

50 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

Notebooks and pens...what are these things you speak of 😂

yeah, Evernote 10 has been an.....interesting development. No doubt lots of teething issues and bugs which are causing a lot of frustrations. I do think that this new foundation presents an opportunity for the product to develop which is only really to our benefit in the end. That’s why I’m trying to be patient, between that and when I try a new notes app it’s always missing something that I like, be it tags or good search or offline notes. Evernote is having issues right now but if it gets past these we might just get a good product.

Sometimes it’s a case of better the devil you know. 

I made a change in Apple Notes 2 hours ago and it hasn’t synced yet. Notes doesn’t seem like it’s cut out for volume use which at least Evernote is. With your workaround on losing data I will proceed with caution and hope Evernote sort out their problems quickly.

22 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I'm still working to try and isolate the root cause of this issue.

Specifically, does/did this issue seem to occur when you navigated away from the note, and then returned back to it?

@Shane D. My experience of this issue is that it occurs if the app has been sitting in the background for a long period of time....

so say I’m using Evernote, I come out and do other things. Maybe a few hours later I go back in, the app is still in the background ram so doesn’t restart. At this stage sometimes sync works but sometimes it isn’t (seems the longer it’s in the background the more likely sync has stopped). At this point the app appears fine, I can switch notes etc but if I add content it is lost - because the app isn’t connected to the Evernote server. So if I enter data it looks like it’s fine, there is no sync notifications so I wouldn’t know if there was an issue. I only know it’s failing if I go to settings and click sync there, the app then crashes, and naturally the data is lost. 

So it seems to be a background thing, the longer the app sits in ram and in the background the more likely it comes to the foreground unable to connect to the server. If I am paying attention at this point I also notice that any additions I have made on other devices also do not download, but there have not always been changes elsewhere when I add content to the note. 

The big issue is there is no way to really know if it’s in this almost zombie like state until it’s too late, as it allows text to be added as normal and unlike the windows app which tells us data is being saved as we work there is no warning on iOS. 

ps it doesn’t seem to be an issue jumping in and out of the app when multitasking, it handles that fine in my experience. It seems to only if in ram for a long period of time in the background. 

27 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Specifically, does/did this issue seem to occur when you navigated away from the note, and then returned back to it?

That is at least what I have been doing when it occurred. As far as I remember I didn’t leave EN, but navigated to something else within EN. 

Same issue on Android and Windows, by the way. I've been using Evernote for classes for years. This never happened before. It's happening on my Android phone, Android tablet and on my iPad. When I edit a note by adding a picture or adding text to an existing picture and hit "DONE", it says it failed to save note. In fact, it's not just that the added text wasn't saved, they also deleted the picture I was adding text to. On Windows I had a worse incident. I lost my notes for a class I was doing in real time, with the students watching. I exited the note and when I returned to open it, it was gone. Not that the latest edits were gone, the whole note was gone. Having class notes and accessing them from different devices (Android, iOS, Windows) leads to having conflicting notes, but now the note immediately got deleted on all my devices. It happened just once on Windows so far, the other class notes seem to have been saved and synced correctly. If it happens more often I'll have to consider changing platforms after having used it on a daily basis for years. I cancelled my Premium subscription for now, until this gets straightened out.

10 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

On the specific note I had the problem with, I made changes to an existing note. I don’t know if I navigated away and then back to it during that time as I’m always full on busy. When I returned to the note later (not much later) the edits had gone and had not been applied to any other device. Evernote is nearly always sitting in the background as I use it so frequently each day. This leads me to the conclusion that the error is as @wbutchart above has identified. It only happened after moving to Evernote 10. Apparently Evernote have been informed of this some time ago, so it is not “news” to you guys. Have you actually looked at that as the cause or just ignored that as well? 

You would correctly gauge from my tone that I am unhappy, because this has caused me a major problem. I am only sticking with Evernote for now as it is the best of a bad bunch and this serious error is just one of many issues in Evernote 10, as you guys are well aware. Please keep us informed of progress.

On 10/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, Byynnn7 said:

I’m am having the same issues. I losing notes and data. I just updated to to iOS 14.1. And I am using an iPad Pro 4th GEN. I have never had this issue before with Evernote. I am disappointed to say the least. I am convinced that it is an iOS bug. I’m not having this issue on any other platform except iPad Pro.

This should not have been released with this meany issues. This is such an important to tool to so meany people. 

Evernote please fix this

Yes, you are destroying your reputation quickly if this is not fixed. My employer offers OneNote, maybe time to migrate. 

• Like 1

Same issues here. Losing paragraphs of writing constantly. Even when I make sure to save (click the green tick) and carefully close the app, I’ve found my note incomplete when re-opening. 

Basically since the update the app has become completely unusable. I’m so disappointed but I have no faith that this will be solved soon so I’m having to look for an alternative and copy over all my stories.

• Level 5

Hi All,

I'm still continuing to investigate into this issue.

If you haven't already, please make sure to update to Version 10.1 that we recently released.

We've seen a few reports that this has helped resolved the issue.

26 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

If you haven't already, please make sure to update to Version 10.1 that we recently released.

Perhaps against my better judgement, and out of character to go with a brand new release, I have upgraded to 10.1 just now.

No idea if it solves the missing info issue as I am loath to let it run in the background still, but it DOES solve another issue - that of not importing clips; my missing clips have now been imported, but alas not the missing note edits. I will be treating Evernote with a lot of suspicion for a while yet and not really trusting it. Credibility and reputation will take some earning back.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I’m definitely seeing an improvement. I have not had any moments when the app fails to sync entirely as before. I am still seeing some sync delays, by that I mean that if i entered 4 tasks and checklists 3 are there so i need to keep dragging down the notes to force sync, but that seems to work now. 

So far so good, though I am still checking everything with the web app, will be paranoid for a while i think. 

1 minute ago, Stewart1958 said:

Perhaps against my better judgement, and out of character to go with a brand new release, I have upgraded to 10.1 just now.

No idea if it solves the missing info issue as I am loath to let it run in the background still, but it DOES solve another issue - that of not importing clips; my missing clips have now been imported, but alas not the missing note edits. I will be treating Evernote with a lot of suspicion for a while yet and not really trusting it. Credibility and reputation will take some earning back.

I agree, I have definitely seen an improvement, no complete fails as we both experienced, still weary as well but hopefully this is things on the up.

• Like 1
On 10/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, Stewart1958 said:

Just had the same problem on 10.1

Changed a note, went to another note to check something, returned to edited note to find changes had gone. I was away from the edited note for less than 60 seconds.

Back to zero confidence in this product.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stewart1958 said:

Just had the same problem on 10.1

Changed a note, went to another note to check something, returned to edited note to find changes had gone. I was away from the edited note for less than 60 seconds.

Back to zero confidence in this product.

Hmm, I was just coming here to update I’ve experienced this issue since the new update. Pulled from background from overnight and it was still able to sync. 
I am making sure I use the pull down on the notes to make a sync option when I have made edits, that seems to work now and actually makes the app sync whereas before it didn’t seem to do anything. I still see delays in sync where final bits of text may be missing, that’s why I’m using the pull down sync to make sure that stuff gets uploaded. 

Still having sync issues with 10.1. I noticed that if the app sets in the background and I do not restart the app,  I lose data.

I have to close the app and restart it,  to have no issues. 

10.1 is still a nice step towards fixing the issues but it’s not quite there yet. 

Best wishes Evernote. 

Looks like I may have had the same or similar issue yesterday (Nov 2). Justing chiming in with my +1.

Created a new note and worked on it all day, entirely on iPad (iPadOS14 and Evernote 10). When I got home and looked at the note the final third of all my work had gone, cut off in the middle of a sentence (I wouldn't have stopped working on a note mid-flow!). Have opened a support ticket but disappointed to see it may take up to 10 days to get an email response, which others has also said here about a delay in timely assistance from Evernote. In the meantime I'll take the tip about not leaving an open note or the iPad app idle for very long when working on something. Thanks for the tip guys!

I'm having an issue with Notes not saving between sessions over the last week or so. I use EN for pretty much every aspect of my work and personal life and I need to trust that it works. Get it sorted Folks - I want my Data back or I'm off to look for a more reliable service. 

3 hours ago, Art B said:

I'm having an issue with Notes not saving between sessions over the last week or so. I use EN for pretty much every aspect of my work and personal life and I need to trust that it works. Get it sorted Folks - I want my Data back or I'm off to look for a more reliable service. 

Exactly! It's not just about a pretty user interface and fancy features, as nice as these are to have. It is, more than anything, about trust. If you can't rely on an app to keep your notes for you (and maybe you won't even know until you come to look for them at a critical point in the future, that they are missing), what is the point in investing so much time and effort in maintaining them? Having faith in any system has to be fundamental to committing to using it, or sticking with it. I am willing to put up with glitches and oddities with the way the system looks and works as long as it does it's core function of "remembering everything"! 

For what it's worth, I gave up on Apple Notes as that would frequently fail to sync content between devices. I thought Evernote would be more robust than this. Hoping they can fix it as there is so much to love about EN, but pointless if it keeps discarding some of the stuff you entrust to it.

6 hours ago, STVWAL said:

Looks like I may have had the same or similar issue yesterday (Nov 2). Justing chiming in with my +1.

Created a new note and worked on it all day, entirely on iPad (iPadOS14 and Evernote 10). When I got home and looked at the note the final third of all my work had gone, cut off in the middle of a sentence (I wouldn't have stopped working on a note mid-flow!). Have opened a support ticket but disappointed to see it may take up to 10 days to get an email response, which others has also said here about a delay in timely assistance from Evernote. In the meantime I'll take the tip about not leaving an open note or the iPad app idle for very long when working on something. Thanks for the tip guys!

I have had a lot of issues with this - I am finding that once I have written in a note, if I pull down on the notes at the left to make it sync, this does now work and I’m not losing data. If I don’t force that sync still some issues, seems to be improving with each update but still less than ideal. 

1 hour ago, wbutchart said:

I have had a lot of issues with this - I am finding that once I have written in a note, if I pull down on the notes at the left to make it sync, this does now work and I’m not losing data. If I don’t force that sync still some issues, seems to be improving with each update but still less than ideal. 

Another good tip. 👍

It's a bit like getting back into the old habit of hitting Ctrl+S every few minutes to keep saving a Word document just in case! Will do this from now on too.

7 minutes ago, STVWAL said:

Another good tip. 👍

It's a bit like getting back into the old habit of hitting Ctrl+S every few minutes to keep saving a Word document just in case! Will do this from now on too.

Haha yeah! Forgot about those days 😂. It has worked for me, I also if I have done work I really want to ensure I don’t want to lose, check the web app to make sure it’s synced as expected. It’s frustrating but hopefully these things will soon be resolved.  

I'm having syncing issues ever since upgrading to the latest version, very similar to what wbutchart has described. I have to manually sync across my laptop and iPhone and nothing is automatically updating, which is leading to lots of data loss as I'm not used to updating manually, nor is my family. It's not acceptable and the fact that this has been apparent for weeks and not resolved or updated here is such poor service. I've submitted a ticket with a 10-12 day delay. How is this acceptable for a premium paid service??

Same here (Premium User) - I edited a note on 31st Oct / 1st Nov on iPad and now I cannot find any of these additional information. The information I lost is not visible in any iOS device nor in the web version as history. History simply does not see any saved notes on 1st Nov.

Any clue, how to get back the data I saved on the iPad on 1st Nov?

I as well consider to move as I need 100% reliability.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for me, I said ok to this afternoon's update (v 10.2.4 build 1949 public Editor: v111.0.14414 Service: v1.21.2) and now Evernote will NOT save ANY new notes, changes/edits to notes, etc. This has made the app completely unusable for me. Seems like a fairly serious glitch to have in such an update.

Edited by ajbarr
punctuation
On 10/30/2020 at 4:48 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I am having this same issue and have 10.1. Nothing is helping. 

Dear All,

In the past weeks   (since the last IOS update possibly) I have been increasingly frequently experiencing the problem most of you describe above, which  I never had before. I use several working notes that I regularly update and increasingly often the most recent updates (even if saved before) disappear, generating several days loss of work. Can you please help how to get to note history? I just upgraded to premium to be able to do it. Any other tips on how to avoid such loss (often coming together with a “Note conflict” message) would be much appreciated. As suggested above I try to pull down in the note on the left side, but I see no sign it is synching. How should I see this (CTR-S type movement) works? I will also try to close EN when not used although this is difficult as I copy into it from Goodreader and other applications, thus to be able to work properly I would need to have it open along my working hours. Do you think it is better to save each update with a new name as multiple notes or does it further increase the risk of Note conflict reproducing? Evernote Heldesk replied to me as well that there is a 12+ day backlog in processing request so any help before would be much appreciated. And as several of the commenters above this is also a make or break issue for me, thus I would also gladly take tips on other platforms that work better in this respect and where years of EN Notes could be migrated to. Thanks a lot!

Hi Evernote and all,

I am on 10.2.4 and I have too syncing issues.

I update or create a note > close the app > open the app again > every new things is gone. I love the app, but I will have to move away very soon if this issue isn't solved unfortunately. I checked on the web to see if my notes synced there, and no nothing was synced. I only use Evernote on my Mac.

Please please please, let me know when you have a solution.

And again, I lose more data!  I think this occurrence puts me over the top.  Not sure why I put up with this.  EVERNOTE SUCKS!!  Yep, I'm getting emotional about it now.  To hell with being professional.  They simply can't seem to get anything right.  I've been searching for alternatives, but I think ANYTHING would be better.  I wonder if I can get my last subscription payment refunded.  This is too much of a joke that we pay for an app that only loses data.  I simply added to a note and it just disappeared - poof, gone! - AGAIN!!

Evernote can take a hike - Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What's worse is the mere fact that EVERNOTE DOESN'T SEEM TO CARE.

@Shane D.

• Like 1

I am in need of Evernote working again. To make that happen I am thinking about installing the legacy version noted above in this thread. Do I have to uninstall the current broken version (v 10.2.4 build 1949 public Editor: v111.0.14414 Service: v1.21.2) first? How will the legacy version access my saved notes? Thanks!

15 hours ago, ScottM1234 said:

And again, I lose more data!  I think this occurrence puts me over the top.  Not sure why I put up with this.  EVERNOTE SUCKS!!  Yep, I'm getting emotional about it now.  To hell with being professional.  They simply can't seem to get anything right.  I've been searching for alternatives, but I think ANYTHING would be better.  I wonder if I can get my last subscription payment refunded.  This is too much of a joke that we pay for an app that only loses data.  I simply added to a note and it just disappeared - poof, gone! - AGAIN!!

If you ask about refund then Support team will do everything to avoid responsibility for this mess...

However, there is a thread to discuss this - you aren't the only one who don't like the current approach of EvN.

• Thanks 1

I, too, have lost notes and I am outraged by the poor customer service. A 10-12 day response to a ticket? This is 2020. It looks to me like many of you are experiencing this issue and have not received any resolution. Has anyone found a work around? Any insight is appreciated.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

My notes keep reverting to the version on Dec 5. The worst part is I didn’t realize and kept adding data all weekend which was lost. It show it as updated for a period and then suddenly disappears. The app simply isn’t working and caused a big problem for me and there’s no help. It’s time consuming to migrate my data elsewhere but the app is completely useless. And no help in sight!!!!!

4 hours ago, Stephanie Kauffman said:

My notes keep reverting to the version on Dec 5. The worst part is I didn’t realize and kept adding data all weekend which was lost. It show it as updated for a period and then suddenly disappears. The app simply isn’t working and caused a big problem for me and there’s no help. It’s time consuming to migrate my data elsewhere but the app is completely useless. And no help in sight!!!!!

I understand your frustration, but I know that doesn’t help! Have you updated to the latest version? I had a load of data loss issues but over the last couple of weeks it seems to have become more stable, although I am strictly following some of the advice on this thread about saving notes, forcing syncs and opening Evernote fresh each time. Although I use it very frequently I close it when I finish working on a note or series of notes, even if I know I will be back in it in a few minutes.

These work arounds are keeping it useable for me but it is a real pain. Support either don’t care or are swamped as I submitted a ticket on a different fault well over a week ago and have heard nothing. The experiences and help from users on here has been a life saver for me.

• Like 1

Thank you Stewart! I was working on the latest version but yet deleting the app and reinstalling seems to have fixed it. I’m waiting until tomorrow to make sure it doesn’t revert but it’s been over 5 hours and updates still there so I think I’m good! Also someone from Evernote reached out to help. Thank you for your help when there was no where else to turn!!!!!

On 11/7/2020 at 6:31 PM, GrizLaw said:

I, too, have lost notes and I am outraged by the poor customer service. A 10-12 day response to a ticket? This is 2020. It looks to me like many of you are experiencing this issue and have not received any resolution. Has anyone found a work around? Any insight is appreciated.

Incredibly frustrating.... Notes disappearing recently, valuable work gone..... WHAT IS GOING ON WITH EVERNOTE RECENTLY!?

Had same issues as everyone else. Running Evernote 10.2 on ios 14.2

Emptied my Trash folder as suggested by the sync issues page (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313378). No change.

Deleted the app entirely from my device and reinstalled and signed back in. Seems like sync is back working now although changes take 30-60 to be saved from updates to Evernote Web, then a forced sync shows them on my device.

Key thing folks - don’t leave the app running in the background for long periods. There seems to be an issue where if the app is in ram for a long while once in foreground it fails to sync. Solution until this bug is crushed is swipe up and close the app proper from the app switcher once used. Also pulling down on the notes list until the green spinning wheel appears gets the app to sync too. 

I use Evernote on IPad. In 4 years of use I never ever had a single issue but since last update new problems keeps popping up. At first I couldn’t download notes for offline use, and it’s still not right. Whenever I try to download it takes long time before it was few seconds, minute at max. Next, new paragraph starts with lowercase and there is no function to change it, before it was automatic. Also, there is no option on when to lock Evernote, every time I leave the app I have to sign back in. And now I lost any new notes or note updates in last 5 days. I tried to download Evernote legacy on windows but it didn’t solve the problem, my notes are still missing. This is getting very frustrating!!! Please help

11 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Key thing folks - don’t leave the app running in the background for long periods. There seems to be an issue where if the app is in ram for a long while once in foreground it fails to sync. Solution until this bug is crushed is swipe up and close the app proper from the app switcher once used. Also pulling down on the notes list until the green spinning wheel appears gets the app to sync too. 

I do this and it works. I haven’t had any losses of data (that I’ve noticed) lately. Does anyone know how long it’s safe to leave Evernote in the background for? Having to close it and delete from background tasks every time I finish for a coupe of minutes is becoming a bind.

Also, anyone had an update from support re when we can expect a permanent fix to be released?

42 minutes ago, Stewart1958 said:

I do this and it works. I haven’t had any losses of data (that I’ve noticed) lately. Does anyone know how long it’s safe to leave Evernote in the background for? Having to close it and delete from background tasks every time I finish for a coupe of minutes is becoming a bind.

Also, anyone had an update from support re when we can expect a permanent fix to be released?

I have seen it be fine in background for a few hours. Not sure I’d give a confident number but overnight is not good, through day seems ok for me. 

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I have seen it be fine in background for a few hours. Not sure I’d give a confident number but overnight is not good, through day seems ok for me. 

That’s helpful, thanks. I will have a go at not killing the app every time I leave it for a couple of minutes, and see how it goes. Having to constantly start and stop it, while not a time consuming task, detracts from the whole workflow pattern I have and I have to think about it rather than letting the devices just do the work as they should.

I need to build up trust in it again as I use Evernote for mission critical things all the time and the risk of data loss again is just unthinkable.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Stewart1958 said:

That’s helpful, thanks. I will have a go at not killing the app every time I leave it for a couple of minutes, and see how it goes. Having to constantly start and stop it, while not a time consuming task, detracts from the whole workflow pattern I have and I have to think about it rather than letting the devices just do the work as they should.

I need to build up trust in it again as I use Evernote for mission critical things all the time and the risk of data loss again is just unthinkable.

I find as long as I remember to pull down the all notes sync after edits it’s holding up during the day. If I don’t pull a sync after edits it’s not always syncing data. 

Im having the same issues with evernote 10.2 especially when i update a note or take a picture in it. I lose both the note and the picture and i end up having many empty notes. I also have duplications when I edit a note in my iPhone. Please help. 

Having same issue, so frustrating. Using Evernote 10.2 on iPhone 11 PRO. I have literally my "life" in Evernote, I rely on it for everything. But since about two weeks ago, when I make updates to an existing note in IOS version, it just no longer saves it, nor syncs with web version of Evernote. I lost countless data this way. Reliability should be the number one priority for Evernote. Without reliability, the product means nothing. Maybe I should do "sync now" each time I change one letter in an existing note, but "sync now" takes 30 minutes to complete since two weeks ago, even if only one word is changed. I am at a loss for words here, no pun intended.

• Like 1

I have lost data at least six times since the last major update. Changes on one device (iPhone) simply don't get synced to be visible on other devices. They still appear to be on the device and are eventually lost. Explicitly syncing (Settings->Sync->Sync now) spins but never finishes and does not propagate the data elsewhere. I've used Evernote a decade and have never experienced this problem before. I'm actively investigating other solutions because reliability is CRUCIAL.

I just created a new post on this as well. I lost a bunch of work yesterday after not being able to find a note and realized creating/editing doesn't even work.

Evernote is totally useless on my ipad, of which is my only real device as I just got rid of my mac. 

Me too. Also sometimes Evernote simply hangs and I can't edit at all and I have to quit and restart if it's been in the background for too long (I only  realise this is the cause now having read the posts) . This is on iPad mini AND MacBook Pro. Is there an ETA for this fix? An Evernote that can't remember is a useless note-taking tool. 

Had this happen to me last night. 

45 minutes of work was not saved to my Ipad  (had internet, but even if I hadn't, it should have been saved to the local device.  Nope).  I hadn't stopped working, or closed the app, etc.  I had worked continuous for 4 hours, but the last 45 minutes didn't save.  This is with premium, and the work was not in the note revision history.

I've been thinking of jumping ship to OneNote, now after reading how this is happening to other people regularly, goodbye Evernote.  Sad, because I've used this app for almost a decade.

• Like 1

Ended on this thread after noticing I’m also losing my data which I am entering via the iOS app. A shame to see no happy end after well over 2 months!

One thing to try though is removing and reinstalling the iOS app. I just tried this, and my first new note seems to have survived this time. 

gotta love the old “turning it off and on again” method...

Same issue. Edits to note don’t save. Edits appear so long as app (Ver. 10.2) is open, but vanish after closing and reopening. If I open that note on desktop and make the same edits they save on Evernote desktop. Then going back to iPad I get a ‘Note Conflict. A copy was made’ and see two copies of the note - one has the edits, the other doesn’t. I trust if I delete the one without the edits nothing will happen to the copy with the edits.

In any case, the issue is clearly a problem that needs resolution.

• Level 5

Pretty simple:

• Close the note after editing, using the green  checkmark top left.
  • Before closing the app, make sure it has synced: Pull down the left column with a finger, release, wait the spinning sync wheel to finish. Usually changes have synced before, but the last changes maybe are still unsynced, and this takes care of that.

Have not lost content while on v10.2.In fact it is the first release that on my I-devices runs stable and in general does the job.

There are still bugs and missing features, but the core function seem to be o.k.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed notes were properly being created, updated and deleted on PC, but not on iPhone. Any iPhone action taken within the app would not persist, despite sync symbol firing and notes appearing to save. No careful means of waiting/syncing resulted in note modification persistence.

Fix that worked for me on my iPhone:

1. Delete everything in Trash
  2. Uninstall App (Copy any notes not synced elsewhere)
  3. Reinstall App

After doing that, can successfully create, update, and delete notes on iPhone.

• Like 1

All my edits from the Evernote iPhone didn't save. There is no sync between iPhone app and Mac app, none. All my notes wrote on my iPhone were lost. I deleted and re-installed app on my phone and the issue is still persists: I update the note on iphone, save it. I go to my evernote app and nothing, no update there. Next day, I look at my note on my Iphone, and the changes are no longer there either. 

On 12/30/2020 at 5:25 AM, st0rmfather said:

Noticed notes were properly being created, updated and deleted on PC, but not on iPhone. Any iPhone action taken within the app would not persist, despite sync symbol firing and notes appearing to save. No careful means of waiting/syncing resulted in note modification persistence.

Fix that worked for me on my iPhone:

1. Delete everything in Trash
  2. Uninstall App (Copy any notes not synced elsewhere)
  3. Reinstall App

After doing that, can successfully create, update, and delete notes on iPhone.

Thanks! I've been having the same issue for a couple of weeks now and following your uninstall/reinstall advice above seems to have fixed the bug. Well done!

• Like 2

Just experienced my first reoccurrence of missing data for several weeks.

I was working on a note with my iPad, manually syncing often. Went to another note to check something and when I opened the note I had been working on a good bit of it was missing. It contained key dates that I had spend ages working on so was less than pleased. I checked on my phone and found that the data had synced there so was able, thankfully, to retrieve it.

This issue was different to the ones I have had previously in that it lost data from the iPad after it had synced. I can’t explain that one.

Back to doubting Evernote again after several weeks of it being stable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Working on what ?

Nobody will probably work on something if not at least a support ticket was issued.

If the information was synced (as it obviously was, because it was retrievable from another device), it was maybe deleted accidentally on the iPad. It happened to me as well, wrong user action. Sometimes you don’t even notice until later.

When a note has synced, as a Premium user you can always go to note history, and go back in time to the point where the missing content is still available. This is the easiest way if something got lost. For this to work, the note must have synced and needs to still exist. If a note was deleted and redeleted from the trash, note history will be gone as well. But this are 2 wrong actions in a row.

Note history is running for all accounts, Basic ones as well. Access to it is a Premium feature.

• Level 5

Hi All,

We believe updating to the newest version, Version 10.3 may help to fix this issue for some of our users.

Specifically, if you were editing/working on a note and your changes were lost after you had switched between different notes.

Learn more here:

I'll continue to provide updates here once I have more.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, Stewart1958 said:

Just experienced my first reoccurrence of missing data for several weeks.

I was working on a note with my iPad, manually syncing often. Went to another note to check something and when I opened the note I had been working on a good bit of it was missing. It contained key dates that I had spend ages working on so was less than pleased. I checked on my phone and found that the data had synced there so was able, thankfully, to retrieve it.

This issue was different to the ones I have had previously in that it lost data from the iPad after it had synced. I can’t explain that one.

Back to doubting Evernote again after several weeks of it being stable.

Just had exactly the same problem again. Definitely not user error. Returned to iPad note after half an hour and latest edits were missing, but had synced to phone so I recovered that way. The only thing I didn’t do was close Evernote from background running as I usually always now do.

I’m now running 10.4 and apart from this issue raising its head again, it has been stable for several weeks, though I still force sync after every update and almost always close on exit.

I have discovered one possible cause of data loss while using Evernote on iPad. There is some combination, as yet I can’t determine exactly what it is or recreate it at will, of gestures - coming in from the bottom right of the screen - that cause an old version ie just before the recent edits of the note to reappear. It’s easy not to notice and to continue working only to glance at the note and find the earlier edits have gone.

This seems like an iPadOS issue rather than one with Evernote. I saw it happen today and got my edits back, but wonder how often this has been happening. It was done while I was busy and using the iPad a lot and obviously didn’t take enough care with what I was selecting / swiping / closing etc. How dare I multitask!

• Level 5

If you notice a change, what you can try is to shake your i-device with some vigor. Make sure who is watching you, it sometimes make people think you have a mental crisis.

But it often returns a window asking whether you want to undo the last action.

Discovered a bit more about this way of losing data / edits. Found this by accident. Dragging a finger over a note brings up a previous version (see screenshot) and if you look closely you will see that the content has changed ie the note underneath is an older version. If I completed the dragging, still accidentally, it then becomes the current version and my new edits will be added there, losing the last batch of edits.

I’m sure that something similar happened yesterday with some sort of drag from the right - this was from the left. It’s too easy to do when using the iPad extensively, moving between notes and apps, and I have found that just picking it up the wrong way can lead to this happening. I don’t think the problem is Evernote’s on this occasion but this does make me wonder about previous instances of data loss too.

The obvious answer is to single task all the time but that totally defeats the point of having devices like this. I will be taking much more care from now on and not just accepting that “it works”.

21931E1F-2CDD-48D6-ABE7-EB64E35602CB.jpeg

• Like 1

I have just recently started to experience the problem whereby entries into my notes are not being saved. I add some text to a note and come back to that note only to find the new entry is not appearing.

I have also noticed my Evernote to have slowed down and I’m getting an increase in duplicated notes that show as conflicts.

Please advise if there is a fix as my Evernote has become unreliable, thus unusable.

I am having the exact same issue. The updates to Evernote in the past six months have been some of the worst I have ever seen. I understand it was very much a "pieced together" app previously between different platforms, but it worked. I never had to remember to save documents. The syncing was flawless. I can literally write something on my iPad now, switch to Messages to respond to a text, and come back, and the changes are gone and vanished for good. 

Additionally, the process to move a note from one notebook to another on iOS has changed from simply tapping on the Notebook tag in the document and choosing a new one to having to choose between Move or Go To a different notebook, which is entirely unnecessary given that the ability to switch to a different notebook is and always has been present in the menu bar. Why has the Switch Notebook / Go To functionality been duplicated, and the whole process of moving a note to a different Notebook had an additional unnecessary selection added to it?

I run into this 'failure to sync' problem virtually every other day. One virtue of Evernote was supposed to be the ability to work seamlessly across multiple platforms. But this feature is sadly flawed. Almost every other note with which I work on both my iMac and my iPad winds up with multiple versions, with some edits saved from one platform and others from the other platform. Sorting which edits have been saved and which have not consumes way too much time.

Evernote needs to sit up and take notice. The very length of this thread should be an indicator of the seriousness with which Evernote should take this problem.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

No issue for me, none for nearly everybody - you can see this thread has been silent since long.

What you can do is basically this - each step can solve a problem, if not proceed to the next.

1. Make sure you run the latest version. As of today this is 10.16. Update if yours is older.
  2. Maybe a fresh sync can sort out problems. Go to the apps settings, sync and choose sync now. If it was synced, it will take a few seconds until a message pops up „sync completed“. If it takes longer, somehow your sync had got stuck.
  3. Switch your iDevice completely off and on again (the Apple logo must show). This cleans out the device RAM and resets internal buffers. It is good practice to do a complete shutdown every week, keeps the device more snappy.
  4. If this does not solve the problem, log out of your EN account in the app, and back in. Hint: If you have any offline notebooks, the local content will be gone after logging out. You then have to download them again (which still is a PITA). After a login keep the app open and wait until the initial syncing of your notes is complete. 
  5. The next step is to uninstall the app, switch the iDevice completely off, on again and reinstall the app. Then log in and again wait for the initial download.
  • 3 months later...

I am having this issue too. I need to save edits about 6 times until they "stick" while still in the relevant note on my ipad. It occurs without navigating away from the app. I use the green tick, but still the edits revert back . So frustrating. Please fix this issue, first report was 2020 and it is 2022 in a few days. It makes the app useless to me.

Are you forcing a sync by pulling down on the notes list to the left of the screen?

I had loads of data loss problems, documented on here, for a while but thankfully they seem to have been resolved. However, I have changed my workflow habits to do a few things when using my iPad:

1. Make sure to use the green tick after every edit.

2. Force sync as above after every edit.

3. Always close the App and delete from background running whenever I leave it - even if for a few seconds. This is a pain at times but my confidence in Evernote was badly shaken and so this has become second nature now.

There is one remaining niggle on iPad but as think it’s more of an iPadOS issue than Evernote maybe - it’s too easy to navigate away from a note accidentally, I have to be very wary of gestures or any screen contact that can be seen as being a gesture. 

In the dark days of constant data loss I had a look at Evernote alternatives but nothing came close, and with over 10 years worth of data in Evernote I decided to stick with it in the hope they would sort it out, which they did eventually although the level of support and speed of fixes was a lesson in how not to keep customers happy.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Fast forward 2 years from this issue starting and it’s back!

On iPad, notes are just not syncing a lot of the time. Last night I had to re-enter important data FOUR TIMES as it kept getting deleted as sync failed.

I was driven to the verge of abandoning Evernote last time and I will not go through the hassle again. If it continues like this I’m out of here after being a power user for over 11 years. I need to be able to trust that my data is secure, synced, doesn’t get deleted, and that my tool of choice for notes can be trusted. Currently Evernote is failing on all of these counts - again.

Last chance saloon.

• Like 1

I have not chimed in on this for a while, but I continually have sync issues on IOS (iPhone and iPad).  It almost always results in lost data, or put more succinctly, lost edits.  Just yesterday, I typed about 10 paragraphs into a journal and it wouldn't sync.  If I go to settings to sync device, it just hangs while trying to sync.  I wait and wait and wait.  After 5 minutes, I give up and cannot get out of the screen, so am forced to close the app.  Upon re-opening it, ALL edits are GONE.  Super frustrating.

The article: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/217930798 is useless to me.  It basically says we have to just live with it by copy/paste, or restart the app, or even re-install the app.  All of these steps are unacceptable.  Wouldn't it make more sense to FIX THE BUG?  Why doesn't EN just do that???

THIS is why my confidence in the product has diminished.  I no longer refer people to it as a viable choice and while I do love the product when it works, I have little tolerance for buggy software.  (BTW: I am a software developer of 40+ years).

Seems maybe a recent update broke sync..??  My mobile (IOS) app, which is what I use most of the time simply doesn't sync reliably.  Therefore I make it a habit to manually sync.  50% of the time it works, the other 50% of the time it just hangs with the spinny thing.  The only resolve is to close the app because at that point it has crashed and is totally unresponsive to anything.  After force close, I check my edits and sometimes they are saved while other times they are lost.  SO FRUSTRATING!  Such a simple thing.  I do not understand why this is such a problem.  PLEASE FIX!  I am tired of losing edits.. !  Ugh.

• Level 5

About iOS syncing:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/217930798

Up to now I had a syncing Problem on iOS twice (not per hour, not per day, in total, and I use the iOS client a lot on multiple devices). I was in both cases able to save all content by following the advise from the help article. Not good, but better than no option.

About OneNote: Just go ahead - but maybe read first about syncing problems with OneNote, once a critical volume of notes is reached. It seems it doesn’t scale well … what you only find out after building or moving a lot of notes into it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have lost two large edits to existing notes in the last month. I was updating details for a lesson I was teaching. Yesterday I added 2 hours of notes and material only to have it disappear when I opened it up in my class. The same thing happened about a month ago. I haven't noticed it anywhere else in Evernote but now I feel like I can't trust this app I've used religiously for over 11 years. I'm on Android and have never known this issue before. 

Yesterday I even consciously hit the green check mark because of what happened the month before. Got to my class, everything was gone. 

Is there a solution or is it time to abandon Evernote?

I opened this topic in October 2020 and it STILL persists.  I can only conclude that EN does not value their customers.  Such a shame.

I have new (updated) behavior.  While typing a NEW note (IOS), the keyboard keeps disappearing (trying to sync?).  I bring it back up and start typing and I lose the keyboard again.  After a few rounds of this, I click the green checkbox in the upper left corner. Nothing happens.  I can’t get out.  The app becomes unresponsive.  No other choice but to close/reopen.  Data gone AGAIN.  I reproduced this a couple of times.  Sometimes the green check is clickable and I can get out of my note without closing the app, but only to find when I open the new note, most of it is missing.  DATA LOST AGAIN!  😡🤬

This SUCKS and it looks like I have to live with it.  How is it that a text editor can’t seem to save changes reliably.  Come on EN, get it together!!!!!!!