SoftwareMarcus

Evernote for Mac 6.5 Released

Idea

Today we're releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5.  Here are the official release notes.

New

• We changed the key command for increasing or decreasing font size. To increase, hit “⌘>” and to decrease, hit “⌘<. This aligns with other office productivity applications and allows us to use⌘+ and ⌘- for a future Zoom feature.

Fixed

• Fixed an issue where checkboxes didn’t print.

• Fixed an issue where tags with periods or other symbols wouldn’t be found in the tag filter.

• Improved initial Mac setup performance for accounts with 1000+ tags.

• Fixed 7 of the top 10 crashing bugs.

Beta Features (NOTE: These are only available on the Direct Download Version)

We have a couple of features that are not quite finished yet but are available for beta testing purposes.

• Zoom - Use “⌘+” and “⌘-” to temporarily zoom in and out. There are a few bugs, including an issue with resizing images when in zoom mode. To try it out, go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom.

• Code Block - This feature basically takes any selected text and converts it to a monospaced font and creates a gray background around the line of text. This also has a few bugs. It’s not recommended to turn this feature on if you’re an Android user because editing the note on Android will undo the code block. This works fine if you’re using the Common Editor beta version of Android, but will break using the standard Android app. To try it out, go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable code block.

Please let us know if you find any issue and reply to this post so we can find them quicker. If you want to download the build you can get it here.

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote. It's been a real pleasure working with all of you. I think Version 6.5 will be the most stable version of Evernote Mac ever and I'm really proud of the work the team has made on fixing crashing issues and working on sync errors. I also can't wait until you see 6.6. Now that the product is in a pretty stable state, we started to focus on some of the long standing issues that many of you have been asking for and also working on some cool things that will be totally unexpected. I'm disappointed I won't be here when 6.6 finally ships but as an Evernote user I'm going to be ecstatic. Thanks again to all of you in the Evernote community who have commented in these forums and played a big part in making our favorite product better.

• Like 2

81 replies to this idea

19 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Today we're releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5

Thanks for the update.

19 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Code Block - This feature basically takes any selected text and converts it to a monospaced font and creates a gray background around the line of text.

How to we paste code (copied from a code editor) into a new Code Block?

Previously, Evernote would sometimes add one or more spaces to code that was pasted into an EN Note.  I want to make sure I avoid this.

18 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:
  • Fixed an issue where tags with periods or other symbols wouldn’t be found in the tag filter.

• Improved initial Mac setup performance for accounts with 1000+ tags.

Thank you very, very much!

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

How to we paste code (copied from a code editor) into a new Code Block?

There are a few ways you can create a new Code Block (after enabling the Code Block feature from Preferences):

- Click the {} button from the UI formatting bar (with no text selected)

- Press Cmd+Ctrl+B

- Type ``` and then press Enter (if you have Auto Format feature enabled in Preferences -> Formatting)

Once a new Code Block is created, the cursor should be placed within the empty Code Block.  You can then use Cmd+V or context menu to paste code from your code editor into the note.

Another possible way is to first paste the code into the editor as usual, and then select all text of the code, and then click the {} button or press Cmd+Ctrl+B to convert the currently selected text into a Code Block.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote

Hey Marcus - we're sorry to see you go!  I'm one of those evil people who use Android and Windows so I've not had the opportunity to try out your software versions in the wild,  but your posts are always helpful,  informative and good-humoured,  and my impression is that the technical content is second to none. 

You're a sad loss for the user-base,  but I'm sure we all wish you well.  Please don't be a stranger in the forums,  and if you're up to anything interesting,  let us know in the Off Topic forum!

Gaz.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2016 at 5:04 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote.

Marcus, while I wish you the very best wherever you go from here, I can say that I, and many others, will greatly miss your presence here.

You have not only provided outstanding leadership and guidance for the Mac product, but you have done so in a great style.  Your willingness to be open and discuss hard issues, to share a lot of insight into the Evernote process, and to always remain civil and professional is rarely found in today's  world.

Live long and prosper, my friend.

Best regards,
JMichaelTX

• Like 1

Marcus, thank you so much for all the careful shepherding work you have done here on the Mac forum.

We all wish you great success in your future adventures.

On 2/19/2016 at 6:04 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote.

This saddens me greatly, because I'm selfish. I'm sure you're off to do amazing things elsewhere, but I'll miss your presence in the forums. You were a breath of fresh air when you came; you replied to us, chatted with us, and were frank with us. When I think of actual faces — people who take the time to chat and be present in the forums — behind Evernote (versus just the big corporation) I think of only two: @gbarry and you. You've made running Evernote on my Mac a joy, even when bugs and glitches have popped up. Thank you for all you've done here.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the nice comments. I think the Mac team is in really good shape and will be able to deliver some really great features in the upcoming releases.  I've defined what I felt were the top things to address through to the Summer and the executive team supports these changes.  

I also want to point out that I think Evernote as a company is in great shape despite some negative articles.  I'm reluctantly leaving because I got an offer I couldn't refuse.  It had nothing to do with Evernote itself.  

In any case, thanks again for all the nice words.  Don't worry the Mac team is in good hands and all of us customers will benefit from their hard work.    

• Like 4

I have several MAC computers at home and work. On one of the MACs the "Software Update" tab is not available in the Preferences panel. Why would it be available in installations of EVERNOTE and not others. I am running the latest version of Evernote 6.4 and trying to update another computer to 6.5! I am running OS X 10.11.3.

Thanks

Bob

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Lonski said:

I have several MAC computers at home and work. On one of the MACs the "Software Update" tab is not available in the Preferences panel. Why would it be available in installations of EVERNOTE and not others. I am running the latest version of Evernote 6.4 and trying to update another computer to 6.5! I am running OS X 10.11.3.

The Software Update tab is only available on Direct Download versions of Evernote.  The Mac App Store has it's own mechanism for updating software and therefore this tab isn't needed.  Because of this only people that have the direct download version of Evernote will be able to beta test the Zoom and Code Block features.

This may not be specific to this EN version, but I am getting a HUGE delay (>2-3 minutes) when I try to scroll my sidebar by sliding my finger down my touch pad.  This could only be a problem for folks with many notebooks and tags displayed in sidebar, but might be worth investigating internally and fix to allow for large collections. This delay occurs as a slide down the list.  Cursor becomes a spinning ball, and other actions are not possible. 

Jay

I'm new to Evernote. I'm using on my Macbook. Is there a way to change the font when I am annotating a pdf? When I create a text box I can only get it to let me change from plain text or outlined text, but I can not change the actual font. Please help!! 

Coincidentally, I was just pasting lots of code into notes yesterday and getting annoyed that there wasn't a "format code block" feature. Then this morning I pull down the update and "voila!".  The ``` is a nice touch; does this and the lists shortcuts for a few revs ago mean we'll be getting closer to markdown soon?  So far these seem like reasonable ways to have the text entry speed of markdown and stay WYSIWYG.

On a related note, I hope we either get shorter key chords or a way to change key-binds or an actual markdown editing mode. I find the four-key chords (because of shift) for text justification too cumbersome, and the new bigger/smaller at three keys is pushing it.

• Like 1

Apple's OSX UI/UX use the key-combo [CMD]-[-] and [CMD]-[+] everywhere and universally to change font size. I use this key-combo a lot, several times a day, in Evernote, Mail, and other apps. Can you explain to me why changing this combo and swimming against the entire ecosystem of Mac Apps is a good idea?

• Like 2

Some more apps that use the [CMD]-[+/-] key-combo to change the font size on OSX:

• Adium
  • Firefox
  • Chrome
  • Pages
  • Numbers
  • MacVim
  • Terminal
  • Slack
  • Keynote
  • Stickies
  • PyCharm
  • IntelliJ
  • RStudio
  • Xcode

I.e., this "one new feature" in 6.5 is really strange, to say the least.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, fnl said:

Apple's OSX UI/UX use the key-combo [CMD]-[-] and [CMD]-[+] everywhere and universally to change font size. I use this key-combo a lot, several times a day, in Evernote, Mail, and other apps. Can you explain to me why changing this combo and swimming against the entire ecosystem of Mac Apps is a good idea?

I use Evernote on Mac and Windows in addition to other apps on both platforms. It's bad enough having to remember both, but apps that add a third way frustrate me. It wouldn't be so bad if I could remap keys--and even better transfer them among Evernote installations as a file or via cloud-managed settings.

The other thing I mentioned above, and maybe this is a config error on my part, but I have to use SHIFT in addition to the other keys in the chord.  In text edit, both COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing. Not so in Evernote.

• Like 1

Re @kominetz and @fnl:

See this earlier post regarding why we chose ⌘+ / ⌘- for the Zoom feature and “⌘>” / “⌘<” for the font size change feature.

As to the Zoom feature, it is off by default.  You need to go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom.

2 hours ago, kominetz said:

The other thing I mentioned above, and maybe this is a config error on my part, but I have to use SHIFT in addition to the other keys in the chord.  In text edit, both COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing. Not so in Evernote.

COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing in Evernote, if you enabled the Zoom feature.  Does that not work for you?

@ziru - so according to your post you are saying, Evernote decided to violate the OSX convention because "it feels better"? No comment...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, acavness said:

I'm new to Evernote. I'm using on my Macbook. Is there a way to change the font when I am annotating a pdf? When I create a text box I can only get it to let me change from plain text or outlined text, but I can not change the actual font. Please help!! 

I don't know how to change the font, but in case you want to change the font size, here is how:

http://cl.ly/3H2R2D1O2D1A

23 hours ago, FloydB said:

How do I get the update-- there is no update available notice when I start the app and no update appears in App Store?

The Mac App Store version has been submitted and will be released soon.  The Direct Download version can be downloaded here.

42 minutes ago, ziru said:

Re @kominetz and @fnl:

COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing in Evernote, if you enabled the Zoom feature.  Does that not work for you?

I understand why you chose it, and I hope you understand why this change might be confusing to users of older versions and other applications. No one mapping will make everybody happy which is why this seems like a great opportunity for personalization.

I was talking about COMMAND-+/- in TextEdit above which uses that for changing font size like Evernote did pre-6.5.  The remapped font size key-binds (COMMAND-</> and COMMAND-SHIFT-</>) are not treated as the same thing in my current Evernote Mac 6.5.  Referring to the actual mappings, COMMAND-, opens preferences and COMMAND-. does nothing. (COMMAND-< is really COMMAND-SHIFT-, at the input level.)

I hadn't turned on zoom--code block was what got me excited--but you are correct, it treats the two binds (COMMAND-= and COMMAND-SHIFT-= as both COMMAND-+).  Can you make font resizing behave the same way?

3 hours ago, fnl said:

Some more apps that use the [CMD]-[+/-] key-combo to change the font size on OSX:

• Adium
  • Firefox
  • Chrome
  • Pages
  • Numbers
  • MacVim
  • Terminal
  • Slack
  • Keynote
  • Stickies
  • PyCharm
  • IntelliJ
  • RStudio
  • Xcode

I.e., this "one new feature" in 6.5 is really strange, to say the least.

Safari, Chrome and Firefox use Cmd-+ and Cmd-- for Zoom In and Zoom Out just like we do.

Terminal, Messages and Slack say that they do Bigger and Smaller, but the shortcuts apply to all text in the app and so are functionally equivalent to our Zoom In and Zoom Out.

Xcode doesn’t seem to have any shortcuts bound to Cmd-+ and Cmd--.

I understand any change can be disruptive, but please be assured that this is not a change we made lightly or without much discussion. Given the lack of a clear standard, we felt it was more important to follow the de facto text editing standards of Word and Google Docs (Cmd-> and Cmd-< for Bigger and Smaller)

@Adjusting that is not quite correct. All apps that have WYSIWYG text editor functionality not only zoom, but also change the actual size of the text. Which I believe is extremely intuitive if compared to the Windoze way and even if you guys apparently think it isn't, most OSX users will have grown accustomed to that fact. So this change is non-sensical and poorly thought through, to me in any case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fnl said:

So this change is non-sensical and poorly thought through, to me in any case.

RE:  Change in Shortcuts for Changing Font Size, & New Shortcuts for Zoom

Actually it was very carefully thought through, discussed much internally at Evernote, and then discussed at length in public in this forum.

At first, I also strongly objected to this change in shortcut keys for changing font size.  But after I did my homework, and actually analyzed what shortcuts are used by some of the most widely used Mac apps, I had to reverse my opinion, and agree with the change that Evernote has made.

I know this will upset many Evernote Mac users.  But before you complain here, please take a moment to read the detailed discussion on this subject in this thread:  
Evernote for Mac 6.5 Beta 1 Released  

Here are a few highlights:

On 2/5/2016 at 6:38 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

CMD + + and CMD - - is the universal standard for Zoom in Safari and Chrome and in many other apps.  We felt this would be used often and should follow the standard.

Actually, it is the standard in all Mac browsers, AFAIK.

On 2/5/2016 at 7:56 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I totally agree with this.  The apps I most often use zoom is with Browsers, and all of them use CMD +/-
the other app is use zoom a lot is Adobe Acrobat.  It also uses CMD +/-

On 2/5/2016 at 6:38 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

we also felt that following the key commands of the top 2 word processors (MS Word and Google Docs) is the best option since people are familiar with these applications.  It almost doesn't matter what the Mac standards are if the top 2 word processors use a different set of keys. They define a standard that people know and are familiar with.

It is unbelievable that Apple violated their own standards with Pages.
The only real Apple competitor to Pages is TextEdit, which follows the so-called "standard"
Unfortunately, this has the effect of having NO standard for text size increase/decrease.

Since Apple really doesn't have a consistent standard for this, your [Evernote's] logic must prevail.
Since MS Word is, by far, the most used Word Processor, even on a Mac, I now have to agree with your choice

• Like 1