• Announcements

    • Shane D.

      Evernote Webinars   12/01/2017

      We've recently begun conducting Evernote Webinars for various topics and subjects. Take a look at the Calendar to check them out, and see if they interest you! Keep an eye out as there will be more to come in the future!
    • Shane D.

      Evernote 2018 Planning Templates   12/11/2017

      The Evernote 2018 Planning Templates are now available! You can find them Here!  
  • 1
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.8 Beta 5 Released

Idea

Hi folks - 

We're excited to announce Windows 6.8 Beta 5. You can install it here or by checking for updates. Fixes in this beta include:

  • A fix for an issue where the old name of an attachment re-appears after switching notes 
  • A fix for an issue where the Google sign in page doesn't appear when connecting to Google Drive 
  • A fix to show the file name of the PDF in the top left when previewing a PDF  
  • A fix for an issue where attachments don't highlight correctly when searching
  • A fix to show search results within PDFs
  • Several fixes to support drag and drop of content from Microsoft Office apps and File explorer to Evernote and vice-versa
  • A fix for an crash when trying to print an Ink note 
  • Support for drag + drop of PDFs into notes

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions on the changes.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team.

---------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.8

Note: Version 6.8 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved

We've made a number of changes to how a note is displayed. Some of the key changes include:

  • Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF
  • Updated the inline PDF preview experience with easier access to key commands including print and download
  • If you have a touch monitor, you can now pan notes with the swipe of a finger
  • More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

  • A fix where tables clipped from Microsoft Word or Outlook did not appear correctly in Evernote
  • A fix where additional lines are pasted when pasting a line of text from Evernote to other applications
  • A fix for no longer dropping the check box and end line on copy/paste of a to-do item
  • A fix where some reminders are not synced after clicking the sync button
  • A fix to ensure the app if downloaded from the Windows Store respects the Options>Start on Windows Logon option
  • A fix so that selecting the 'New Note' button when in the Business tab with no notebook selected, no longer creates a note in Personal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

49 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 2

Not sure if others faced this. when i clicked a link in the pdf instead of loading in a browser. it loads inside evernote. changing notes doesn't remove the link. I have to close the app fully and reopen it to change it

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Having spent about 18 hours getting the latest updates to Win 10 installed and running, I then updated to this version. At a quick look (will test more in the morning), it seems to be running faster - a good thing! Whether this is just timing with respect to Windows 10 updates remains to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
12 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:
  • Support for drag + drop of PDFs into notes

 

Fine. But more important is to drag + drop a Evernote PDF attachment to other apps like Outlook, Explorer and so on. Please bring back this feature!!! :-)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
2 hours ago, pepr said:

Ctrl+scroll for changing text size still missing...

Best regards,

This works for me - just saying! But it looks like you have to come to the note you want to magnify/reduce just before you change the text size in this way...

Edited by FactMan
Add text

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
59 minutes ago, pepr said:

The left menu autoscroll is a feature or bug?? 

In Tools -> Options -> Navigation Options uncheck "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected". Or leave it checked if that what you want.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Bug report.

I tried to rename a PDF in a note in a LOCAL notebook.  Won't work, nothing happens after right clicking in the body of the PDF and then Rename.  Visually, I thought something was amiss, and I realized the menu is not the same for the local PDF.  Checked things out on a note in a synced notebook and everything is fine.  Wrong menu screenshot below. 

Also, accidentally determined that if you right click the banner of the PDF you get the same menu as right clicking in a note.  Not sure that is a desired feature.

Image.png.353d4a457f4c3cee5328276813800376.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
On 12/2/2017 at 2:59 PM, HerbyDE said:

Fine. But more important is to drag + drop a Evernote PDF attachment to other apps like Outlook, Explorer and so on. Please bring back this feature!!! :-)

Yes. Drag and drop in general should work in productivity app like Evernote. It used to work in 6.5.4. Please bring that back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

Fine. But more important is to drag + drop a Evernote PDF attachment to other apps like Outlook, Explorer and so on. Please bring back this feature!!! :-)

and other email clients.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Not sure when it happened, but the ability to manage tags is getting better. I now see the ability to easily drag from the tags view to the list in the left panel, without undue delays. It would be nice to have the ability to move a tag to be a subtask of another tag as a right-click menu option. There is the ability to move a tag to the top level, and create a tag beneath an existing tag - both of which are great. Now can we close the loop and be able to move tags to be subtags without having to scroll through a long list of tags?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Bug report.  This may have been around for a while.

  1. Drag an image from a note into a cell in a table in a new note created in its own window.
  2. Right click. annotate, and then save the image in the table.
  3. The image in the table does not change, but the image in the original note does.

Everything seems to work fine once the window is closed.  So, only seems to happen between when the note is created and the new note window is closed.  Interesting how the original note is modified in the fail case.  Breadcrumb?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/3/2017 at 12:58 AM, keisoko said:

In Tools -> Options -> Navigation Options uncheck "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected". Or leave it checked if that what you want.

Helpful find.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/1/2017 at 7:28 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Several fixes to support drag and drop of content from Microsoft Office apps and File explorer to Evernote and vice-versa

Although it was announced that "Several fixes to support drag and drop of content from Microsoft Office apps and File explorer to Evernote and vice-versa" was included in the 5 beta release, I still cannot drag and drop attachments from MS Outlook into Evernote. Can anyone else verify the problem still exists?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, fchandler said:

Although it was announced that "Several fixes to support drag and drop of content from Microsoft Office apps and File explorer to Evernote and vice-versa" was included in the 5 beta release, I still cannot drag and drop attachments from MS Outlook into Evernote. Can anyone else verify the problem still exists?

Thanks for the information - filed a bug and looking into it

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, fchandler said:

Although it was announced that "Several fixes to support drag and drop of content from Microsoft Office apps and File explorer to Evernote and vice-versa" was included in the 5 beta release, I still cannot drag and drop attachments from MS Outlook into Evernote. Can anyone else verify the problem still exists?

Anymore info would be helpful, like the type of content you were trying to drag and drop into EN

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

please, is there a way for me to disable this in iOS Evernote??

"More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut"

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Anymore info would be helpful, like the type of content you were trying to drag and drop into EN

Hi Jason. It appears it doesn't matter the type of content. I've tried dragging and dropping attached Word, PDF, and Excel files from MS Outlook into EXISTING notes and it just doesn't work. Now what I have discovered is that I can drag and drop the same MS Outlook attachments into the Note List panel and a NEW note is created with the file included. Again, it doesn't work with EXISTING notes. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, CalS said:

Bug report.

I tried to rename a PDF in a note in a LOCAL notebook.  Won't work, nothing happens after right clicking in the body of the PDF and then Rename.  Visually, I thought something was amiss, and I realized the menu is not the same for the local PDF.  Checked things out on a note in a synced notebook and everything is fine.  Wrong menu screenshot below. 

Also, accidentally determined that if you right click the banner of the PDF you get the same menu as right clicking in a note.  Not sure that is a desired feature.

Image.png.353d4a457f4c3cee5328276813800376.png

I had a look at this because I happened to have a local pdf on screen. If you change the note to view the pdf as an attachment the change in name comes through - also if you navigate to another note and then back to the one with the changed name it shows correctly. Looks like there should be an "on edit" command to refresh the screen so that the banner is updated...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
11 hours ago, FactMan said:

I had a look at this because I happened to have a local pdf on screen. If you change the note to view the pdf as an attachment the change in name comes through - also if you navigate to another note and then back to the one with the changed name it shows correctly. Looks like there should be an "on edit" command to refresh the screen so that the banner is updated...

Thanks for taking a look.  Problem is, if you don't show your PDFs as attachments, the right click context menu does not have the Show as Attachment option for a PDF in a LOCAL notebook, for me anyway.  Right clicking in the PDF gets the menu in the screenshot above, not the "usual" one.  I can get the normal PDF menu if I go into settings and check Always show PDF documents as attachments.  But I want to see the PDF contents when I go to the note, so not the best.

All that being said, this is a new behavior, a recently introduced bug IMO.  I have renamed PDFs in LOCAL notebooks forever, can't remember never being able to do it.  Workaround for now is to save to Desktop, rename, delete the old PDF in the note, and then copy/paste (can't drag/drop anymore) the renamed PDF back into the note.  PITA until the bug gets fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2.12.2017 at 2:28 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi folks - 

We're excited to announce Windows 6.8 Beta 5. You can install it here or by checking for updates. Fixes in this beta include:

  • A fix for an issue where the old name of an attachment re-appears after switching notes 
  • A fix for an issue where the Google sign in page doesn't appear when connecting to Google Drive 
  • A fix to show the file name of the PDF in the top left when previewing a PDF  
  • A fix for an issue where attachments don't highlight correctly when searching
  • A fix to show search results within PDFs
  • Several fixes to support drag and drop of content from Microsoft Office apps and File explorer to Evernote and vice-versa
  • A fix for an crash when trying to print an Ink note 
  • Support for drag + drop of PDFs into notes

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions on the changes.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team.

---------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.8

Note: Version 6.8 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved

We've made a number of changes to how a note is displayed. Some of the key changes include:

  • Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF
  • Updated the inline PDF preview experience with easier access to key commands including print and download
  • If you have a touch monitor, you can now pan notes with the swipe of a finger
  • More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

  • A fix where tables clipped from Microsoft Word or Outlook did not appear correctly in Evernote
  • A fix where additional lines are pasted when pasting a line of text from Evernote to other applications
  • A fix for no longer dropping the check box and end line on copy/paste of a to-do item
  • A fix where some reminders are not synced after clicking the sync button
  • A fix to ensure the app if downloaded from the Windows Store respects the Options>Start on Windows Logon option
  • A fix so that selecting the 'New Note' button when in the Business tab with no notebook selected, no longer creates a note in Personal

@Chantal Leonard and whoever it may concern

 

Can you please explain why you would chop and change installation paths in Win 10 and why the installer does not auto-correct path changes made by you? 

My version prior to 6.8.5 went into c:\programs(x86) and is still there and the latest release is now to be found in user\AppData\Local\Apps\Evernote\Evernote

I doubt if anyone at your joint has got the slightest idea between what should go into (86) and what  should go to AppData.  However, in my case, the arbitrary change caused some severe disturbance so pls read carefully.

In the start menu right at the top is Evernote, click and what does it do? It starts version -  see screenshot below -  and this one  wants to update to 6.8.5 again and again.  I tried from within, through manual download and still ended up with - see below.

My next step was to go to the older (x86) installation folder and amazingly that one also started off - see below

So,  here I am with two versions and both seem corrupt. The older (x86) size says 18.348 KB and the latest AppData\Local\--\ says 18.657 KB

Something gone severely wrong with the latest update and I am not prepared to wait for days on end to get this issue resolved. The endless bug-fixing and changes here and there is enough to drive anybody nuts, but faulty installers let loose is just too much to take. 

Here is what I want and what I feel I am entitled to. Within 36 h max I expect you to provide me with a valid link for the current  version as announced or I shall  raise a ticket for repayment of prepaid premium charges. Thank you! 

//

My own solution was to set back the machine  prior to installation of latest Beta, followed by complete deinstallation of the other version. Reinstallation of the latest Beta then went back to c:\programs(x86). Never would I have thought any company of self-respect would let loose an installer so crummy as to not recognise the previously used path. However and inspite of my real annoyance I had a hearty laugh when reading the ridicuously tell-tale  installation log I discovered in the purge. With any programmer up to scratch the faulty installation would have self-aborted.  Glad the Evernote app is basically of such simple construction, so all that is missing now is the entry in the start menu.

All I honestly hope is that no one from this team ever makes over to the other note taking app. With the generally more rational acceptance of that company in Europe and with a steady increase and appreciation of  that particular appplication you are losing out on markets which also spell cash. 

Thank you (for nothing)

 

Release Notes for Windows version 6.8

Note: Versions 6.8 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved

We've made a number of changes to how a note is displayed. Some of the key changes include:

Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF

If you have a touch monitor, you can now pan notes with the swipe of a finger

More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

A fix where words selected in a note using touch caused the application to crash

A fix where users were unable to record audio

A fix where attachments dropped in notes received a temporary filename

A fix where replace in note (Ctrl+H) wasn't replacing text

A fix where a debug port was inadvertently left active

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
15 hours ago, CalS said:

Bug report.

I tried to rename a PDF in a note in a LOCAL notebook.  Won't work, nothing happens after right clicking in the body of the PDF and then Rename.  Visually, I thought something was amiss, and I realized the menu is not the same for the local PDF.  Checked things out on a note in a synced notebook and everything is fine.  Wrong menu screenshot below. 

Also, accidentally determined that if you right click the banner of the PDF you get the same menu as right clicking in a note.  Not sure that is a desired feature.

Image.png.353d4a457f4c3cee5328276813800376.png

Update. 

  1. This seems to apply only to PDFs downloaded into a LOCAL notebook.  Scanned PDFs work as expected.
  2. I exported a few of the issue notes.
  3. I import them back into selecting LOCAL notebook and the issue persists.
  4. I import the same notes into a LOCAL notebook on my other laptop running EN 6.8.1.  They perform as expected there.

It would appear the issue occurred somewhere between 6.8.1 and today.

Edit:  It isn't limited to LOCAL notebooks.  I just downloaded a statement to the desktop and drug it into INBOX.  Same issue.  Go to other PC running 6.8.1 and the PDF menu is as expected.  So it would seem to be any downloaded PDF.

Edited by CalS

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now