Version 10.70.2 - "Latest" ​🤥​

• Level 5

There was an error introduced into the MATRIX 😱

But it was corrected - my web client shows 10.68.3, as my installed clients do 😮‍💨

OK, seriously: I think they probably had a mixup in their version management. Quite interesting, kudos to @janndk : Your Observation gives us an idea of how far they are ahead with coding, internal release and (maybe) testing.

• Like 3

Hi I am still using Evernote Legacy, mainly because the new versions I installed is REALLY SLOW on my Windows desktop

Would this latest version 10.70.2 makes the software run smoother and faster?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Victor Tan said:

Would this latest version 10.70.2 makes the software run smoother and faster?

Any of the recent versions should run pretty smooth.  Version 10 uses a different sync technology from Legacy.  When you first run V10 notes have to be converted over to a different format needed by the new sync technology.  It doesn’t do this in the background, rather it does it note by note as you access them.  This will make the new version seem slow initially until notes have been converted over.  It still may not run quite as fast as Legacy but I find it fast enough.

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Any of the recent versions should run pretty smooth.  Version 10 uses a different sync technology from Legacy.  When you first run V10 notes have to be converted over to a different format needed by the new sync technology.  It doesn’t do this in the background, rather it does it note by note as you access them.  This will make the new version seem slow initially until notes have been converted over.  It still may not run quite as fast as Legacy but I find it fast enough.

I disagree from my perspective. The recent versions are WAY slower in use (for my use-cases) than legacy, though not unasable like the first v10 versions. But I'm happy for you that it is fast enough for your experience to be good. 🙌👊👍

• Like 2

@Victor Tan, are you running Windows 10 or 11?  If not, that could an explanation for what you are seeing.  Power users have different opinions about what constitutes "slow"...  I'll just say from my non-technical, typical user perspective, Evernote 10 is plenty fast.   If you're on Win 10 or later and your experiencing slow performance, you might want to look at some of the other threads about that topic, with particular attention to how to reinstall Evernote and refresh your local database.  Often, a problem in the local copy of your data can cause slow performance by anyone's definition.

Vinnie

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, VincentC said:

Often, a problem in the local copy of your data can cause slow performance by anyone's definition.

OK, but if this is the reason, it should be known on EN site. I'm sure they have (internal?) tools check a database for any such problem. If so, they should execute repair procedures either in the background or explicitely by informing the user what's going on...

It's not a good idea to let users make bad experiences, cry for help and see that there are no official answers. Suggestions from other users are not useful to strengthen the believe in vendor skills.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 1/4/2024 at 7:21 AM, agsteele said:

I got 10.70.2 as an in-app update today. Just looks like the download is lagging.

Same here, just now. The direct download at evernote.com continues to be 10.68.3.

• Like 1

At 14:16 GMT here in the UK today (6th Jan 2024), on downloading the Windows Evernote-latest.exe file from the Download page, and checking the Properties in File Explorer, (see atached) it still shows that this is version 10.68.3, so update availability still lagging

BTW - someone mentioned that their Web client had updated to 10.70.2 - how can you tell what version of the Web ckient is being used?

Screenshot 2024-01-06 141745.png

• Evernote Expert

For whatever reason, the download file hasn't been updated. At this point the only way to get the most recent release for a desktop app is to install 10.68.3 and waits for it to update.

The web clients only update on the background. You will see an on screen flash that tells you if the client has just been updated but if you blink you'll miss it.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

BTW - someone mentioned that their Web client had updated to 10.70.2 - how can you tell what version of the Web ckient is being used?

Click "Need a little help?" at bottom left, then Release notes.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
31 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Of course it is. Thanks. I can see that I have 10.70.2 in the web client too.  That said, I'm not sure I've seen any changes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 minute ago, agsteele said:

Of course it is. Thanks. I can see that I have 10.70.2 in the web client too.  That said, I'm not sure I've seen any changes.

The usual "Performance improvements and miscellaneous bug fixes." Somehow no one here ever seems to have reported a miscellaneous bug and gotten it fixed.

• Like 2

For anyone on Windows in %localappdata%\evernote-client-updater\pending you can always find the exe for the latest downloaded installer. So if one machine gets the download you can copy that exe to another machine and upgrade there too. Good for situations like this.

• Level 5

Good hint - although if it was there, and then disappeared, it probably was withdrawn for a reason.

What had me wonder from the very start of it was the jump in version numbering. We now have 10.68.3 - why should it go right to 10.70.2 ? Jumping 10.69 altogether ?

So I think this was an accident in release management. I will happily install 10.70.2 - once it is officially released.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks for identifying that. Not being a regular user of the web client in my browser, I wasn't familiar with that button.

• Like 1

Well, both the Windows evernote-latest.exe and the web client o my PC are still at v10.68.3 That's not causing mea problem as such, it just a bit annoying that I'm not able to download the latest version - something I've been able to do regularly in the past.

It does appear that the advertised v10/70.2 may have been "suspended" or wirhdrawn, but we'll await future developments.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, AdmiralP said:

It does appear that the advertised v10/70.2 may have been "suspended" or wirhdrawn, but we'll await future developments.

51 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

19.70 was never declared to be an official release - and it’s not available.

From all we know with 10.68.3 you ARE currently on the latest released version.

And yet Evernote on my Windows 10 laptop automatically downloaded 10.70.2 yesterday and invited me to install it, which I did. It hasn't given me any problems so far. Also, 10.70.2 has official an "release note," such as  it is, on https://evernote.com/release-notes.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

This looks officially released to me.  Maybe they later pulled it, but I've had it for a couple of days.  It was an in app update.  No problems with it that I've noticed.

image.thumb.png.9b87d62005c1ded6e7bffa7ab9ad065c.png

On 1/4/2024 at 10:39 PM, VincentC said:

@Victor Tan, are you running Windows 10 or 11?  If not, that could an explanation for what you are seeing.  Power users have different opinions about what constitutes "slow"...  I'll just say from my non-technical, typical user perspective, Evernote 10 is plenty fast.   If you're on Win 10 or later and your experiencing slow performance, you might want to look at some of the other threads about that topic, with particular attention to how to reinstall Evernote and refresh your local database.  Often, a problem in the local copy of your data can cause slow performance by anyone's definition.

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie, I am running on Windows 11. OK I will try and feedback if I have any other issues

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

V 10.70.2 Now installed Automatically.

So, just restarted my PC after lunch, booted up Evernote abd I get the message that v10.70.2 has been installed. So all good there.

Just puzzled that when downloading the Evernote0latest.exe fil from the website (not installing it), that download .exe properties still say it is 10.68.3 ?

Ah well, we look forward to enhancements in new releases of EN fortrhcoming

• Like 3
8 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

So, just restarted my PC after lunch, booted up Evernote abd I get the message that v10.70.2 has been installed. So all good there.

Just puzzled that when downloading the Evernote0latest.exe fil from the website (not installing it), that download .exe properties still say it is 10.68.3 ?

Ah well, we look forward to enhancements in new releases of EN fortrhcoming 

I had previously tried downloading Evernote-latest.exe several times over the weekend and checking properties. Each time, it had shown V 10.68.3.

However, This Afternoon EN updated Automatically, and once checking Evernote.exe in C;\Windows\Users\AppData\Evernote, it is v10.70.2 that is now installed.

• Level 5*

We appreciate the offer, but I would suggest that folks wait for it to become available either in app or downloadable from the EN site.  It is starting to show up for some so the wait for others shouldn't be much longer.

• Level 5
Posted (edited)

I have never seen 10.69.5.

The download gave 10.68 until recently. The automatic update installed 10.70.2.

It seems they provided 3 versions more or less simultaneously. To me this looks as if release management is a bit shaky at the moment.

Edited by PinkElephant

Windows 10.70.2 stopped working. Uninstalled it, restarted laptop, then reinstalled a version from the web. At first, it tried to start up... but then dies. I'll wait for EN to fix it. Until then I'll just using the web or iPad. Good luck EN 🤠 Duhtch

On 1/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Somehow no one here ever seems to have reported a miscellaneous bug and gotten it fixed.

It me. I report all of those.

• Haha 1
On 1/9/2024 at 2:00 PM, Duhtch said:

Windows 10.70.2 stopped working. Uninstalled it, restarted laptop, then reinstalled a version from the web. At first, it tried to start up... but then dies. I'll wait for EN to fix it. Until then I'll just using the web or iPad. Good luck EN 🤠 Duhtch

Hi folks.

I need your help.

On the 9th, EN upgraded me to Windows 10.70.2. Afterwards, it stopped working. While waiting on the next upgrade, I'm decided to use the web or iPad versions.

On the 10th, I uninstalled 10.70.2 and tried using old versions going back to 10.67.4... but none of them work.

Today (11th), EN has to 10.71.2... but it has the same problems as the previous version. After installing, it tried to start... but then just crashes. So this time, I deleted my complete "Evernote" offline folder (17GB that takes 3 days to download), then installed EN 10.71.2 again, but it gives the same problem as before.

I don't know what to try next... your ideas?

Thanks, Duhtch

On 1/11/2024 at 4:27 PM, s2sailor said:

Have you tried using the Revo uninstaller?  It will remove the bits and pieces that a typical uninstall may leave behind.

Thanks s2sailor. Revo fixed EN Windows. Today, you're my hero. Cheers, Duhtch

Not so fast..my version has been toggling between 10.68.2 and 10.71.2 (installed on 01/12). This morning, it went back to 10.68.2. It isn't causing me issues, but this certainly is interesting behavior.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:26 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

And today has 10.71.2, so it seems to be fixed.

• Confused 1