Rolling out Desktop 10.62

2 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

This is a big one: except for the fixes reported below, this release addresses what’s likely the most common cause of missing content.

Thanks, glad to hear this 👍

In what situations was it possible to lose data?

3 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

This is a big one: except for the fixes reported below, this release addresses what’s likely the most common cause of missing content.

Fixes:
- Fixes an issue where all numbered points in a list were turning into zero on printout or PDF export.
- Fixes an issue where errors were encountered when pinning a note in Space.
- Fixes an issue where images were replaced with spinning circles in the note body.
- Fixes an issue where notes containing only sub-tags did not show up when filtering notes including sub-tags.
- Fixes an issue where printed notes were reduced in size.
- Fixes an issue where uploading files to Evernote via Web Clipper did not work.

Improvements:
- Improvements and fixes to AI-powered search.

As usual, it's a gradual rollout but you can get it early at evernote.com/download

Please, use this thread to report issues you specifically experience on 10.62

Numbered list bug is NOT fixed! 

image-note.png

image-pdf.png

image-print.png

I opened a ticket 3 months ago☝️

Responses:

3 months ago
"I wanted to confirm that your request has been escalated to our Technical Support team, and that we'll be following up as soon as we can."

2 months ago
"We’ve passed your case on to our developers for further investigation. Rest assured that it will be our utmost care to get back to you as soon as we receive feedback on it. We appreciate your patience and understanding very much."

2 weeks ago
"We confirm that our team is still running some verifications on what you kindly reported. This process might require some technical time, but rest assured that we'll get back to you as soon as we receive feedback."

49 minutes ago, janndk said:

I exported your note to PDF with numbering intact. I don't see the problem ? Which pdf viewer do you use?

edit: Sorry, I was mislead by the message that all numbers were zero, this is not the case (anymore) but your issue is that the last number is wrong (3 instead of 4). I can reproduce that too. So there is still a problem with numbering...

• Like 2
5 hours ago, eric99 said:

Thanks, glad to hear this 👍

In what situations was it possible to lose data?

I don't have specific reproducible steps, but my experience with data loss in recent months involved trying to open a pdf embedded into an older note and having Evernote occasionally "eat" the pdf. I have also seen some posts of people losing text added to a new (or newly edited) note (while the app continued to claim "All changes saved" in the lower-right). Hopefully both of these issues are fixed. 🙏 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Older notes need to be converted to the new data structure before they can be used. This happens on the client, when they are opened for the first time since RTE was introduced in May '23.

Maybe if something goes wrong in that moment, or the user is a bit to fast in trying to open the pdf, a data loss may happen. For sure it shouldn't, but this might be an explanation for some reported occasions.

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

I don't have specific reproducible steps, but my experience with data loss in recent months involved trying to open a pdf embedded into an older note and having Evernote occasionally "eat" the pdf. I have also seen some posts of people losing text added to a new (or newly edited) note (while the app continued to claim "All changes saved" in the lower-right). Hopefully both of these issues are fixed. 🙏 

Thanks, but my question was more directed to Federico. Now that they've found the problem, maybe they can describe more precisely the circumstances under which it went wrong?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Thanks, but my question was more directed to Federico. Now that they've found the problem, maybe they can describe more precisely the circumstances under which it went wrong?

Yes agreed, it would be nice to hear from @Federico Simionato the situations that caused data loss that (hopefully) have been fixed in this release.

• Like 1

Hi. I installed evernote 10.62.2 today in my PC and tasks get totally jammed...I did all the standard things (sign out "evernote", delete folder "Evernote" in windows explorer, %appdata%, etc). and it still did not not work. I installed older versions (which worked OK) and tasks do not work any more. Any suggestions? jechavso@gmail.com

• Like 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, jechavso@gmail.com said:

Hi. I installed evernote 10.62.2 today in my PC and tasks get totally jammed...I did all the standard things (sign out "evernote", delete folder "Evernote" in windows explorer, %appdata%, etc). and it still did not not work. I installed older versions (which worked OK) and tasks do not work any more. Any suggestions? jechavso@gmail.com

Have you tried in the Web client to see if tasks are working right there? If they are, it may be necessary to do a more thorough uninstall on the PC using Revo Uninstaller (which many here recommend) and then reinstall Evernote.

• Level 5*

10.62.2-win-ddl-public (20230919180646) |  Editor: v176.13.0  |  Service: v1.74.4 / Win 11

OK - no clue if this is 10.62 related - I'd suspect not; but for want of somewhere better to report it -

I randomly found a new cache of files on my hard drive in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Evernote\120918\external-edits

As the name suggests,  they seem to be the temporary files created when another app is involved with a note edit. Typical fiename is: 82de2541-696d-4b2d-adf2-30c34b6f93ed

Just answered my own question about whether it is version related in that my folder entries go back a full year,  but still that's 250MB of random space tied up - presumably regardless of whether I keep my database files locally or not.  Obviously the space involved reflects how much editing you do,  and the size of files being edited;  but even so it would be nice to delete it if that's allowed,  or maybe have an optional clean-up period - all working files deleted after a week / month / year / never?

I'll raise a ticket anyways.

EDIT:  Ticket #3755505 raised...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I randomly found a new cache of files on my hard drive in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Evernote\120918\external-edits

I have set Evernote Data to be stored on G:\App Data and have checked my C; drive which does not have these temporary files stored I have, however, got them on my d;\Documents folder and will be interested in what you get back from Support.   

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Yes, this seems to create a new directory and copy of the attachment that is opened.  Even if no changes are made to the attachment a copy then is exists in the external-edits directory.

No great crisis for me since I have plenty of spare storage. It looks like the copies of the attachments date back to 2021 so I suspect a change in the interaction with Evernote and opening attachments inside a note since whichever version was released in December 2021.

• Like 2

Feedback @Federico Simionato on " Fixes an issue where images were replaced with spinning circles in the note body."

I still get this bug sometimes on desktop with the latest windows client. Only cold starting the client helps to finally see affected images in my case. PS: Similar bug I still see on Android as well.

Still seeing images which are replaced with spinning circles in the note body as well, this is incredibly scary , on evernote web the images appear, however the spinning circles are on the desktop app for windows as well as mobile. This is a relative new bug which did not occur few months ago

also via evernote for windows if a spinning circle does appear and you want to export your note that image will not appear in the file.   

• Evernote Expert
7 minutes ago, dannydu said:

I usually use web and double check via desktop that its all ok, when add images/pdf etc'. 

The web client is the definitive content. So if you see stuff there then it is in your account.

You might try rebuilding your local data in the desktop app. File, Sign Out and select the option to remove your data. When you sign back in everything will be downloaded from the cloud. It may take awhile but see what happens.

29 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

We're rolling out 10.62.3, it's just a tiny patch with a fix for a tool we use for targeting users for different experiments (features, monetization, etc).

Got a message from support telling: 
"We are glad to confirm that our team was able to resolve the issue with printing or exporting a note as a PDF you kindly flagged up. Once you update Evernote to the latest version, your user experience should be back to its best."

Just updated to 10.62.3. and - sorry to say: as expected - the bug was still not fixed. As it wasn't last time, and wasn't time before that...

Might be a good idea to do some testing before updates and messages are sendt out 😒👎

evernote-list-bug.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Re my External-Edits folder - Support confirmed that this is where Evernote places a file when it is being edited by an external application,  and from where any changes are imported back into the database on completion.  Once any edits have been completed, and the note updated, this 'temporary' copy can be deleted.  (I think the caveats mean:  "delete files at your own risk").  So I did.  If anything bad happens I'll let you know.  ;)

On a vaguely related topic,  I got updated to 10.62.3 and Support's reply made me check my Import Folders.   It seems that one or more of the recent 10.62 updates broke that connection for me - I have to set up my folders again.

• Thanks 1

You guys can't implement the simplest of requests?!?  I could most likely deal with all the other shortcomings of V10 if ONLY you would fix the tagging system to allow hiding of unassigned tags.  But thanks for auto uninstalling the old version on me by using trickery.  
image.png.7cd369159e350c37c4731542e74a07f6.png

• Level 5

If you want to talk to „you guys“, issue a support ticket.

About the request: I might be wrong, but I can’t remember having seen this „simplest for things“ ever in the forum. So probably it’s the simplest and least popular request, if we want to talk in superlatives.

It may be useful for you. Myself I take a little time here and then to review my tags. I see if I can join little used ones and synonyms, and those orphaned or useless I erase. Maybe an alternative strategy for you, a little tag housekeeping ?

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Federico Simionato said:

We're rolling out 10.62.5, it's another little patch that fixes an issue where a backend endpoint was spammed with requests from the clients, making backend performance worse.

AND it restores suggested searches and search results that are tags and notebooks!! 😃

• Like 1
On 9/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

AND it restores suggested searches and search results that are tags and notebooks!! 😃

Arrrghhhh.... yes, it does, BUT, I use special (ASCII) characters (*, ?, !, <, etc....) in front of almost all my notebook and tag names (so they are unique to works in the contained text) and Evernote then ignores them all!  I find this really sad, given that using special characters is very common in tagging, and categorizing (if only the @ which is part of GTD...

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It always was a virtue of EN to ignore most special characters. It’s one of the secrets that make it’s search performing so well.

Can you explain? They are just standard ascii characters so should not add any overhead would be my semi-educated guess.

• Level 5

Yes - usually when you search you don’t remember exactly. You remember some, and that „it must be there“.

EN builds the search index by the key words it detects, and by skipping very frequent and typical filling words. Words like is, and, very, etc. And they don’t care for all kind of interpuctation, „word“ = word = Word = WORD = wOrD in terms of search.

They try to find what you are looking for by adding some fuzziness  - but they sacrifice some exactness on the way.

For quite a long time, when scrolling notes (more precisely, the first column on the left with a list of notes), I have been observing a slowdown, as if fps is not 60 or 30, but 10-15. Has anyone observed something similar?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 5:01 PM, janndk said:

Got a message from support telling: 
"We are glad to confirm that our team was able to resolve the issue with printing or exporting a note as a PDF you kindly flagged up. Once you update Evernote to the latest version, your user experience should be back to its best."

Just updated to 10.62.3. and - sorry to say: as expected - the bug was still not fixed. As it wasn't last time, and wasn't time before that...

Might be a good idea to do some testing before updates and messages are sendt out 😒👎

evernote-list-bug.png

Evernote 10.64.5. windows.

Numbered list bug still not fixed 👎

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, mackid1993 said:

This isn't happening to me. I did one, two, three, --indent-- one, two --outdent-- four. How can you exactly reproduce this?

image.png.af9fb43f638e39b73d309f0cc691b02f.png

Export your note to pdf and see if the numbered list is correct in the pdf.