Turn off Auto Update

How do I turn off Auto Updates (using current version 10.59.5)?  Several Google searches list answers that say "go to Tools - Options - ...).  In the current version there is no "Options" menu under tools (or under settings).  Surely there must be a way that I'm missing. 

When I'm in the middle of a project, I just need Evernote to work, not go loading some update (like more emoji's) that I couldn't care less about.  Feel free to tell me a update is available - but let me decide when it's convenient for me, to install the patch.

Thanks - Tom S.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

There is no switch to disable updates. They are supposed to load in the background and provide an indication on the menu column so you can choose when to initiate the process.

• 3 weeks later...

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT @Agsteele!  On Windows (10) the updates load in the foreground, in an uninterruptible dialog. It's a royal pain to have to wait for an update when I am opening Evernote to actually DO something. Survey your customers and find out haw many others also find this annoying.

It's MY computer and I'll do the updates when I want to, not when the software forces them!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For me no transparent argument …

When there are desktop updates, they are loaded out of sight for me. Once they are loaded, I see an update notification. Unless I now decide to accept, they stay loaded, but not installed.

When I decide to update, the client will close, the new software installs, the client opens again (usually logged in), and I continue.

Where is now your issue with the updating ? That it needs to shut down the client briefly to switch over to the new version ?

Maybe I just don’t understand where you see the problem.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Bob Easton said:

Survey your customers and find out haw many others also find this annoying.

I don't have any customers. I'm just another user like you. I answered the OP and described how it was supposed to be. 

I don't appreciate the agro directed at me when I was responding to someone else's post. Thanks in advance for calming down.

• Like 4

I do not leave Evernote running all the time because my backup software won't back up its database if Evernote is running.

Therefore, I use it only when I want to actually DO something with it.  That might be once a day, or once a week. Lately, there are times when I start Evernote and it immediately goes into update mode .... NOT in the background, NOT out of sight, but in a modal dialog that can't be dismissed until the update completes.

That is my complaint. It used to let ME control the updates and do them at my convenience. Now, it won't let me work until it has updated itself. I prefer the previous method.

As for responding to someone else's post, I'm asking the same question. How do I turn off auto-update?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Bob Easton said:

I do not leave Evernote running all the time because my backup software won't back up its database if Evernote is running.

Therefore, I use it only when I want to actually DO something with it.  That might be once a day, or once a week. Lately, there are times when I start Evernote and it immediately goes into update mode .... NOT in the background, NOT out of sight, but in a modal dialog that can't be dismissed until the update completes.

That is my complaint. It used to let ME control the updates and do them at my convenience. Now, it won't let me work until it has updated itself. I prefer the previous method.

As for responding to someone else's post, I'm asking the same question. How do I turn off auto-update?

I don't remember a modal (which proves nothing), but I do know that Evernote automatically update when it's been turned off and back on, and shuts itself down and restarts during an update, which does take time. A minute or two at most for me, but if I had a burning thought it'd be annoying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

No you don’t have to do anything like that, you just get a notification that an update was loaded in the background and is available for installing.

You can continue using the app as long as you need. You can initiate the update any time by clicking on the notification in the left panel. Or it will install itself when you open the app next time.

Where is your problem ?

• Like 2
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You can continue using the app as long as you need. You can initiate the update any time by clicking on the notification in the left panel. Or it will install itself when you open the app next time.

Please stop posting nonsense - or better yet - read my original post.  EVERNOTE, the LATEST VERSION, ON WINDOWS 10 & 11, Auto Updates with no option to postpone and will DISRUPT the application.  Meaning when I need to look up ONE OF MY NOTES, if Evernote sees a update, it will just start the update and continues in update mode until it finishes and restarts Evernote.  I DO NOT WANT THAT.  I'm tired of software apps that think they can do whatever the Frack they want whenever they want - it's my computer, it's my software I paid for, my computer is a tool not a toy and it should work for me, not me waiting for it. 

So please STFU when you don't know what you're talking about.  Like many problems with Evernote, this is just poor design, poor ui, and POOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You seem to have a different update process than me. Just had an update of my Mac client today. I could choose between „update now“ and update when starting next.

Simple as that …

Personal remark: Somebody with roughly 1 post here per year of forum membership is probably not aware of the forum conduct. Here we don’t appreciate your tendency to all caps and lack of manners. We are all users, and ask for mutual respect.

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert
57 minutes ago, Tom-2020 said:

EVERNOTE, the LATEST VERSION, ON WINDOWS 10 & 11, Auto Updates with no option to postpone and will DISRUPT the application

That's not my experience. The day before yesterday, I got notice that there was a new version. The available updates icon appeared. Tapping that icon then gave me the option to update now or choose for that to happen when I next restarted. 

No surprises and the way the update is supposed to work.

If that isn't your experience then I don't know what to suggest beyond the typical very clean uninstall using Revo Uninstaller or opening a support ticket.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@Tom-2020, do you keep Evernote running all the time? My experience is that Evernote stops to do an update (which might take 2 minutes absolute max, generally 1) only when it is being started up for the first time since the update was received. If it's already running, the behavior is as others have described: a notice in the left-side panel, which I can tap to update or ignore as I wish.

• Like 3

For those having problems... you aren't seeing this as mentioned by Pink, Dave, and agsteele above?

image.png.a919cc9ff68520a7bc3672c85e70d3a9.png

You can click the 'Relaunch' whenever you want or can click the little 'x' to hide that message altogether and the next time you restart Evernote the update is applied. That seems pretty unobtrusive to me... This is how it has been for around a year I think.

Edited by Boot17
Added clarification
  • Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Some of you aren't seeing this as mentioned by others above?

image.png.a919cc9ff68520a7bc3672c85e70d3a9.png

I can click the 'Relaunch' whenever I want or I can click the little 'x' to hide that message altogether. That seems pretty unobtrusive to me... This is how it has been for around a year I think.

It won't appear if Evernote has been shut down after the update was downloaded. As I understand (and have seen) it, the next time Evernote is restarted the download will be installed automatically, without the option to delay.

• 4 weeks later...

Last version which works with Windows 8.1 is Evernote 10.53.2

How to turn off auto-updates:

1. Open %appdata%\Evernote folder
  2. Edit config.json file there
  3. Set "forceUpdateOnStart": false, and also add the following line 
  4. "updateCheckPeriodMs": 8640000000, 

This will stop auto-update for 100 days. 

• Thanks 2
  • Administrator

I highly discourage anybody against turning off updates. They contain security patches that help keep your data safe against malicious actors. Plus, we have been rolling out performance improvements that have compounded significantly in the last 6 months.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, Federico Simionato said:

I highly discourage anybody against turning off updates. They contain security patches that help keep your data safe against malicious actors. Plus, we have been rolling out performance improvements that have compounded significantly in the last 6 months.

Buongiorno Federico,

I’d like to vote for allowing users to delay updates. This feature is crucial for our use case. Without it, we won’t be able to continue supporting Evernote, as we’ve been doing for 15 years, since 2008.

In past versions of Evernote, users could decide whether to install an update. This is not an unusual feature – it is found in most software products. For some reason, this feature was removed.

We appreciate the effort of Bending Spoons, the new owner, to modernize Evernote. However, the option to defer updates is crucial for our use case. We often use the software in the field, on a narrow and expensive bandwidth. When we open the app, we must see very quickly the note we are looking for. Since the feature was removed, we must keep the app open for long stretches of time, which delays our work and costs us a fortune.

Please restore the option to delay updates to the Windows 10 version. We hope that you can do so by January 2024, when our subscription is up for renewal.

Thank you for considering!

• Like 3

@Federico Simionato  - no where in my post did I say I wanted to turn off ALL updates. I just can't tolerate having AUTO UPDATES forced down my throat.  When I open Evernote to find an important note - I expect to SEE THAT NOTE, not wait (and wait and wait and wait) for an update to process.  I'll chose when I have time to run updates - NOT EVERNOTE.   Otherwise, after 10 years of (paid) use, I'll be choosing to use another Note App.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Evernote Loyalist said:

I’d like to vote for allowing users to delay updates. This feature is crucial for our use case. Without it, we won’t be able to continue supporting Evernote, as we’ve been doing for 15 years, since 2008.

Before posting here, we contacted customer service. The response:

"I understand that you want to disable the auto update of Evernote on your device. As per checking on our resources, please be advised that disabling automatic updates is not yet an option and we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app."

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 10/24/2023 at 10:44 PM, Evernote Loyalist said:

We appreciate the effort of Bending Spoons, the new owner, to modernize Evernote. However, the option to defer updates is crucial for our use case. We often use the software in the field, on a narrow and expensive bandwidth. When we open the app, we must see very quickly the note we are looking for. Since the feature was removed, we must keep the app open for long stretches of time, which delays our work and costs us a fortune.

A question from a fellow user: what Evernote client are you using? Is it a mobile client (Android or iOS)? On my Android phone, I have automatic updates turned off in the device settings. I only update Evernote from Google Play when I choose to.

I agree with Tom-2020. It is a MUST to be able to disable  autoupdate. 

Recently I updated from version 6 to 10 and lost the possibility to save documents directly from FOXIT. 
The workaround involves changing the registry.  But  the workaround  vanishes  when  Evernote autoupdates.

I'm using Evernote on my other work computers and I am NOT going to update  frrom version 6

I too consider moving awy from Evernote

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm on the disable auto-update bandwagon.

I've read through all the replies in this thread, and sees comments like "where is the problem? Does it not update ok? It should load in the background, etc etc.". While I appreciate being given updates to software and operating system components, I can't but wonder if no-one considers it is a matter of being in control more than anything else.

Fact is any update is a risk to stability, and where Evernote - or another affected application or operating system component - being negatively impacted by a software installation, on a personal computer may pose a lesser impact, it is not necessarily the case, and definetely not in the case of a coorporate pc.

We do updates in maintenance windows for a reason. I personally update my PC when I see fit for the very same reason. Just to be clear, this is not the same as being security unaware, but rather a matter of careful planning, intended to minimize the risk of data loss and loss of work (and ultimately profit).

This is something software vendors should appreciate and respect, and neglecting to do so, is imho a matter of unprofessional conduct. It would be far better, and magnitudes more appreciated, to acknowledge this lacking feature, and plan it for implementation in the near feature, rather than discourage updating the product, and locking customers into the software vendors update regime... we are being troubled enough in that department already, courtesy of Microsoft - no need to join that team.

So while it seems we have a workaround, which unfortunately involves editing files, verging on the duct tape scale, I would much prefer an actual option to put updates back under my own control. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

In fact not updating is a risk to stability, in terms of patches, bug fixed and in general.

Many users asking here to disable the updater do so because they want to continue using an old version of v10 (maybe in the 10.50ies) because it is the last one that will work with Windows 7. Windows 7 in turn is deprecated since many years, and completely unsafe to use on any system connected to the internet. EN needs internet access ... and EN v10 below 10.60 is already deprecated as well, as is legacy. A cloud service serious about security can't allow any old client to just unlock and enter the "vault".

Long story told short: It is pretty standard these days that apps look after being up to date. There are good reasons for it, especially with services connected to the web and cloud.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

In fact not updating is a risk to stability, in terms of patches, bug fixed and in general.

Long story told short: It is pretty standard these days that apps look after being up to date. There are good reasons for it, especially with services connected to the web and cloud.

I digress - and history has proven that many times. In the event of a stability issue, then yes, an update may fix that. Any update is however a risk to stability, regardless of how vigorous testing the update has been subjected to - but that is not really the subject of the debate here. 

The point I am making is, I want to be in control of what happens on my system. As far as I see it - that is the main concern for others in the thread as well. 

We can nitpick the technical details of various client/server combinations, and the attached security implications all we want, but none of that justifies Evernote not adhering to acceptable life cycle and deployment principles. 

A client workstation is not Evernote domain, and as such it's bad practice to update without confirmation. In my opinion that is not debatable. 

It would be reasonable, acceptable, and most importantly forthcoming to implement a policy of the last x versions being able to connect to cloud services and sync data. If you are outside that policy, you can use the software, but not sync data online. 

That satisfies the need for an updated codebase in relation to cloud service security, and at the same time satisfies users demand for control over their own device. 

It really isn't that hard to reach a reasonable compromise. Being unwilling to do so, but instead muddy the discussion with strawman arguments is not exactly constructive in my opinion. 

• Evernote Expert

This is an interesting discussion. I see both sides and have my own view which side I would err upon.

However, I'm not sure it is ultimately very useful in that it doesn't influence the program development one bit. 

I might submit a ticket or send to feedback@evernote.com

I'm certain that waiting in these forums for a change is likely to be fruitless. At least it has been so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I am struggling with this on Mac because it is constantly asking to install a Helper Tool. I do it, but we are trying to reduce the instances that users in our environment need to have admin access and this is not helping. I'd definitely prefer being notified when there is a critical security update with option to install.

• 3 months later...
On 9/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, Tom-2020 said:

Please stop posting nonsense - or better yet - read my original post.  EVERNOTE, the LATEST VERSION, ON WINDOWS 10 & 11, Auto Updates with no option to postpone and will DISRUPT the application.  Meaning when I need to look up ONE OF MY NOTES, if Evernote sees a update, it will just start the update and continues in update mode until it finishes and restarts Evernote.  I DO NOT WANT THAT.  I'm tired of software apps that think they can do whatever the Frack they want whenever they want - it's my computer, it's my software I paid for, my computer is a tool not a toy and it should work for me, not me waiting for it. 

So please STFU when you don't know what you're talking about.  Like many problems with Evernote, this is just poor design, poor ui, and POOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

This has been my experience as well.  This app does not download in the background and then let me know when the update is available.  It just flat out, updates whenever it wants to.  The only way that I know that an update took place, is there is a pop-up message with what was fixed in the update, etc.  I also get prompted to add exceptions to the Windows Firewall at this time as well.  I have never added specific exceptions to the Windows Firewall for evernote.exe.

This has to stop!!!

On 10/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, Federico Simionato said:

I am all for getting security patches and performance updates or improvements!!!

However, I'm an IT guy and can handle and manage updating software on my own. I've been doing it for years with every application that I have. 

Frankly, forcing the update without any sort of notification or a prompt with an option to defer is absurd. 

My android phone prompts me and allows me to defer, Microsoft does the same.  Evernote should follow suit!

• Like 1
On 06.10.2023 at 20:35, Federico Simionato said:

After I spent the whole day today trying to get rid of the “wonderful” new features, which required me to clean out my computer several times, I’ll probably take the advice on how to disable updates. If you're wondering, the reason was the line "Press '/' for insert an element" in front of my eyes. But also a great AI edit button that closed the menu. I’d rather wait for versions without surprises and let the kamikazes on the forum test them.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No clever move …

First each update usually carries some bug fixing as well (and sometimes new bugs, but that’s another issue).

Second it is not guaranteed that all v10-versions will continue working ad infinitum. Currently the limit is somewhere at v10.5x. This means you can really break things by not updating.

Third if you ever need support (ok, this is another special chapter …) first thing they do before helping you at all is to ask you to update everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 7:35 PM, Federico Simionato said:

@Federico Simionato You force some of us (e.g. me) because you break critical workflows MANY times with bugs like this time short-cuts/hotkeys bug and quick switch not working correctlt in 10.80.2. Please allow to delay the next update say a chosen amount of days. You broke my workflow e.g. with the switch options not searching and the short-cuts-not-working-bug since 10.80.2 this means I can almost not work with Evernote anymore, cause I use it all day, like a ninja, in at least 10 meetings per day, with all kinds of projects and people. I need this speed in my second brain. Evernote should function faster than my brain. With delaying X days, I could still be reminded and stay up-to-date with needed updates, but be delayed compared to others. You basiscally deliver alpha quality software currently, I cannot rely on your updates. (beta at best) 

I love Evernote and the new route 🙂  HOWEVER you don't act like it is a professional tool with a professional price tag, with the needed professional tested reliability 😞 

@PinkElephant from my perspective it depends on how you look at disabling shortcuts. I am considering blocking Evernote from updating. They introduce to many day crippling bugs, like the short-cuts that broke in 10.80.2. I fear the day it becomes 100% unusable for a while, thus rendering me 100% incapable of doing my work in our company. I would then update in a controlled manner, manually, after all other users have verified indirectly for me that there are no blocking issues in that version. 

At the others. For me too: If I shut down my computer, and start it up, it updates Evernote all the time, without asking me.

I just performed a downgrade to 10.79.3... That's a relief. Switch-To with Ctrl+Q and short-cuts/hotkeys work again.

• Like 3

the bullet and highlights are box in 'more' tab , in the recent update , creating a need to double click and increase edit time , this was not the case before the update , please revert to the old ruler layout @Federico Simionatoimage.png.5ee9580d881c3bf8db3e3813eb1f727b.png

Old layout 

image.thumb.png.b13dee5403409ba49a7afb99879afe2c.png

I second that, it is a productivity hindrance for me as well. In general, V10 is more modern than legacy in UI, but many of the remaining features require now more clicking, as functions are deeper down in the UI hierarchy.

I understand that many here in the forum like clicking and don't mind if a single click action of old needs now 6 clicks (the argument being: it needs just 3-4 seconds).

For heavy users those seconds add up.

Besides, it is very distracting. Legacy was way better in this respect, one could concentrate more on the content. I think the term is "usability".

This is personal view, no one needs to "explain" to me, that usability has in fact increased (and the bugs don't exist, and features are not gone, or if yes, nobody needs them anyway).

But I do suggest to EN/BS to think about usability and productivity, as they evolve the UI (and the whole of EN).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, adutchman said:

This has been my experience as well.  This app does not download in the background and then let me know when the update is available.  It just flat out, updates whenever it wants to.  The only way that I know that an update took place, is there is a pop-up message with what was fixed in the update, etc.  I also get prompted to add exceptions to the Windows Firewall at this time as well.  I have never added specific exceptions to the Windows Firewall for evernote.exe.

This has to stop!!!

What happens for me is in fact that I do get a notification in the left panel that an update is available. If I don't click that notification, it doesn't install the update--unless I quit Evernote or restart the computer; then the update installs when Evernote reloads. Are you saying that in the middle of using Evernote, it stops and installs an update? I don't think that's the expected behavior, and it should be reported to (I know, I know) support: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, MvdH said:

You force some of us (e.g. me) because you break critical workflows MANY times with bugs like this time short-cuts/hotkeys bug and quick switch not working correctlt in 10.80.2

This one really irked me too, but I must admit that I shot myself in the foot as I downloaded 10.80.2 directly from the website because I wanted to try out the collapsible sections and toggled bullet lists. They rolled 10.80.2 back (I think?) and then pushed out 10.80.3 which fixes the 'Switch To'. Are the auto-updates (I'm on a direct download -- not through the store) purposefully delayed for things like this? Early adopters get to feel the pain more?

No idea how their deploy strategy works, but I wish they would have some "stable" releases that we could stick to for weeks or months and then the auto-updater would only update us to the next stable release. And then they should only be pushing out the stable releases to the store.

I'm at least going to stop manually downloading the latest release from the website and see how that plays out for me.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, adutchman said:

This has to stop!!!

I had the same issue yesterday and it created a huge problem by stopping my project in the middle of a deadline.  As soon as I opened Evernote to check some figures on a note, Evernote started an unstoppable download and new install.  During this long process, Evernote would not work in the background so I could not return to my time sensitive project.  I'm all for updating software promptly but when I'm in the middle of a project, I need that software to give me the option of pausing it or better yet, set it up like Windows so I can schedule it to download and install during off hours.   I've used Evernote for over 20 years and I'm about done with.  

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
22 hours ago, sandy said:

I had the same issue yesterday and it created a huge problem by stopping my project in the middle of a deadline.  As soon as I opened Evernote to check some figures on a note, Evernote started an unstoppable download and new install.  During this long process, Evernote would not work in the background so I could not return to my time sensitive project.  I'm all for updating software promptly but when I'm in the middle of a project, I need that software to give me the option of pausing it or better yet, set it up like Windows so I can schedule it to download and install during off hours.   I've used Evernote for over 20 years and I'm about done with.  

It might help just to keep Evernote (and your computer) from restarting during time-critical operations. In my experience, anyway, it is when Evernote starts after begin being shut down that it does the install (and download, if the new version hasn't been downloaded yet). How long did the download and install take? Again, just in my experience, I don't think the total time could exceed 3 or 4 minutes. If it's taking much longer than that, I wonder if there is some other problem.

• Thanks 1

Instead of "Tools - Options," try looking for "Preferences" or "Settings" depending on whether you're on Mac or Windows. Usually, there's an option in there to manage updates.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, amwls100 said:

Instead of "Tools - Options," try looking for "Preferences" or "Settings" depending on whether you're on Mac or Windows. Usually, there's an option in there to manage updates.

Nope, I just double checked and Evernote doesn't have this. They really like people to keep updated, because of security and bug fixes. For people who frequently quit Evernote and restart it, or restart their computers, the updating that happens then can cause an interruption, and it probably would be good to just add the management option. And then prepare for the tide of complaints here from people who turn it off, never update manually, and wonder when the bugs are ever going to be fixed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

bug fixes

ROFL - I can't remember a time when an "update" fixed anything without introducing even more bugs than it fixed!!

Is anyone else "enjoying" the massive white spaces now appearing at the sides of every note?  Or the MINUTE or more timewaste it takes to open Evernote in the first place?  Or the half-dozen "evernote" processes that never end, even when you exit evernote? ... etc etc etc.  The clue to block the updates is to rename the folder "evernote-client-updater" and create a file of that exact same name in the same place, then remove all permissions from that file so evernote can never get any updates 🙂

... and don't get me *started* on the pita that is trying to get evernote to fix their own bugs: they waste HOURS of *our* time helping them work through their own bugs before their offshore support teams even send the report to any programmers (if you're lucky).

Before 10.79 (tidy notes using all my screen)

image.thumb.png.2bf2d3446271341d0bd985dc787b5dab.png

After 10.79 (ruined formatting wasting 80% of my screen)

image.thumb.png.2a4cd2cb52a097c69b973689dab8b40f.png

and yes - I wasted an hour reporting this bug last week already...  their "support" probably didn't pass it on because I told them it's not my job to help them fix their bug after an hour of my time had gone past...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you mean the screenshot from your other post (the one where you tried to hijack another users thread), you should learn about closing a running clients window is not the same than quitting a client execution. Maybe get a refresher course in "How I use Windows, Part 1 for Beginners".

You only closed the EN app window.

The formatting can easily be reverted by going to the apps settings, Notes and toggle the setting for optimized view / adapt to window size.

If your blah blah contains more of these "questions", I propose you learn how to use thew forum search, instead of posting long answered stuff again.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, meh! said:

Before 10.79 (tidy notes using all my screen)

image.thumb.png.2bf2d3446271341d0bd985dc787b5dab.png

After 10.79 (ruined formatting wasting 80% of my screen)

image.thumb.png.2a4cd2cb52a097c69b973689dab8b40f.png

and yes - I wasted an hour reporting this bug last week already...  their "support" probably didn't pass it on because I told them it's not my job to help them fix their bug after an hour of my time had gone past...

Check Tools > Settings, Notes, scroll down to Note width. Is it set to Optimize readability? Often setting it to Fit to window fixes this. (And no, they absolutely shouldn't set it to Optimize readability for us, and no, it doesn't actually optimize readability.)

The current version (10.81.4) introduces a new feature with collapsable lists/headers. Unfortunately this feature was apparently not stress tested properly with large notes that contain a lot of list items. In this situation, the notes become basically impossible to type into because it can take 10 or more seconds for the UI to respond to every button press. It essentially breaks the app and makes it unusable.

I reinstalled 10.79.3, which works well enough. But then Evernote automatically installs the latest version again at the end of the day when I shut down my computer, and the next day I'm stuck with a broken Evernote again.

Tried editing those json config files but that doesn't seem to work (anymore?).

It looks like stripping Write permissions from the Users\[...]\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending directory seems to do the trick.

Not giving people the option to postpone an update is just bad practice and loses you customers. Plus a release plan with a stable and an experimental version that users can opt in to. This stuff has been figured out for decades now. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Kejero said:

Tried editing those json config files but that doesn't seem to work (anymore?).

It looks like stripping Write permissions from the Users\[...]\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending directory seems to do the trick.

I think I noticed the same. Though I also seem to have seen that when you ask the About window of Evernote, it triggers searchign updates and downloading those.

Thx for the alternative suggestion. I love being on newer/newest versions, normally, but for this primary productivity tool I need more control. My whole work life (10+ people with each 10+ projects) and my private life is depending 100% on Evernote.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Kejero. THANK-YOU, Kejero!! I have long bulleted notes that were rendered unusable by 10.80 and following, and your tip about turning off permissions for the relevant folder worked to prevent my 10.79.3 install from auto-updating.

One tip: you may have to turn off your internet during installation of 10.79.3. I found that if I had the internet on, the program would automatically reach out for the latest update.

This problem is affecting a lot of people. Your "big" bulleted note actually doesn't have to be all that big for noticeable typing lag to set in. I am not a tech-savvy person, and turning off update permissions was a trial-and-error process for me, to the point that I cannot responsibly provide instructions to others. Would some kind tech-savvy person out there be able to post detailed instructions on how to download and install 10.79.3 and turn off update permissions for the relevant folder? You'd be helping a lot of people!

• Like 2

Another use case that might not have been thought of when requiring updates is on a locked-down corporate machine where users don't have admin rights by default. To actually proceed with the update, I have to first request admin access through a separate app, then try to get the Evernote update modal to trigger again. It's incredibly interrupting and takes a few attempts to restart the app to get the modal to show. Meanwhile, if I use the "check for updates" feature it says I'm already on the latest version (which I'm not). Definitely considering a move to a different product as a result.

• Like 1