Jump to content

Strange behaviour when searching or filtering


Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Recommended Posts

I have just updated to 10.59.5 and I am finding the following things happen. 

1. From Notes type in some search text. Press enter - nothing happens. Moving the focus back to the search bar and hitting enter again often works. If I already have tags selected then pressing enter clears everything and takes me back to all of my unfiltered notes. 

2. Again starting from all notes selecting items from the filter menu (tags or contains) the box closes but nothing is selected. Repeating the exercise then works

3. Clicking on a tag in the sidebar frequently does not work. It seems that every other click works so I now have to double click all tags to select them.

I've refreshed my local database and uninstalled and reinstalled the app - nothing worked. I do not get the issue on the web version.

Anybody else having similar issues?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5*

With recent experience I'd be surprised if anyone else has 10.59.5 yet!  You've already done the basics - I'd hit Support with a report + logs so they're aware!

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

I've tried a few other things but the problem remains. I will report it to support. I rather selfishly hope this is not just me, and as 10.59.5 becomes more widespread we will see other reports of problems. Meanwhile, I have reverted to 10.58.8 and everything works perfectly.

I normally update manually by downloading from the website long before my turn in the update queue. Will I be forced to update to 10.59 or do I always have the option to skip?

Link to comment
On 7/20/2023 at 1:08 AM, Mike P said:

I've tried a few other things but the problem remains. I will report it to support. I rather selfishly hope this is not just me, and as 10.59.5 becomes more widespread we will see other reports of problems. Meanwhile, I have reverted to 10.58.8 and everything works perfectly.

I normally update manually by downloading from the website long before my turn in the update queue. Will I be forced to update to 10.59 or do I always have the option to skip?

I'm on 10.59.5 and not experiencing those issues, though I'm on Mac.

Edit: I spoke too soon; I am experiencing these issues and they are quite frustrating :( 

Edited by Paul A.
new information
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
On 7/19/2023 at 11:55 AM, Mike P said:

I have just updated to 10.59.5 and I am finding the following things happen. 

1. From Notes type in some search text. Press enter - nothing happens. Moving the focus back to the search bar and hitting enter again often works. If I already have tags selected then pressing enter clears everything and takes me back to all of my unfiltered notes. 

2. Again starting from all notes selecting items from the filter menu (tags or contains) the box closes but nothing is selected. Repeating the exercise then works

3. Clicking on a tag in the sidebar frequently does not work. It seems that every other click works so I now have to double click all tags to select them.

I've refreshed my local database and uninstalled and reinstalled the app - nothing worked. I do not get the issue on the web version.

Anybody else having similar issues?

I'm on a Mac and am experiencing these problems as well, in addition to others.  I've rolled back to 10.58.8.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, agsteele said:

If you've taken advantage of the move the data option might be wise to undo that to default before rolling back...

I did not move my data, but good point.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, agsteele said:

If you've taken advantage of the move the data option might be wise to undo that to default before rolling back...

tried that it is still broke......

Link to comment
  • Evernote Expert
38 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

tried that it is still broke......

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that this would fix the issue. Just reminding those deciding to revert to 10.58 that they should undo the data directory change before stepping backwards.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

I have tried the latest update and it is such that Evernote is useless to me. I have been using it for years yet now when I search with a keyword, nothing. I migrated back to previous edition things kinda worked but not as before. I have now upgraded again hoping that Evernote will fix the problem. So Evernote why won't my keyword search work? Will you please fix this. I have too much time and effort invested in this program for this to happen. Why is it software developers can't leave well enough alone?

Link to comment
  • Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, gfleet2@yahoo.com said:

I have tried the latest update and it is such that Evernote is useless to me. I have been using it for years yet now when I search with a keyword, nothing. I migrated back to previous edition things kinda worked but not as before. I have now upgraded again hoping that Evernote will fix the problem. So Evernote why won't my keyword search work? Will you please fix this. I have too much time and effort invested in this program for this to happen. Why is it software developers can't leave well enough alone?

As described earlier in the thread. You should roll back to version 10.58 until this issue is resolved.

Also, Is suggest that you change your profile name. Email addresses have been harvested by various bad actors. I'd change to a simple name/number combination.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, agsteele said:

As described earlier in the thread. You should roll back to version 10.58 until this issue is resolved.

Also, Is suggest that you change your profile name. Email addresses have been harvested by various bad actors. I'd change to a simple name/number combination.

Is there any way to download an installer file for 10.58 or an older version - I've been mainly using the built-in update process, so rarely have old installer files ?

Also - another related problem is that the first time I click on a tag - all notes are returned. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
On 7/19/2023 at 11:55 AM, Mike P said:

I have just updated to 10.59.5 and I am finding the following things happen. 

1. From Notes type in some search text. Press enter - nothing happens. Moving the focus back to the search bar and hitting enter again often works. If I already have tags selected then pressing enter clears everything and takes me back to all of my unfiltered notes. 

2. Again starting from all notes selecting items from the filter menu (tags or contains) the box closes but nothing is selected. Repeating the exercise then works

3. Clicking on a tag in the sidebar frequently does not work. It seems that every other click works so I now have to double click all tags to select them.

I've refreshed my local database and uninstalled and reinstalled the app - nothing worked. I do not get the issue on the web version.

Anybody else having similar issues?

I'm having precisely the same issues.  

I recommend against downloading and installing a specific EN version for the first time.  Version 10.59.5 is completely unusable to me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, markdolph said:

I'm having precisely the same issues.  

I recommend against downloading and installing a specific EN version for the first time.  Version 10.59.5 is completely unusable to me.

I rolled back to 10.58.8 which was great. I have now been auto-updated to 10.59.5 and it appears there is nothing I can do about it unless I am prepared to never log out of EN and never switch off or reboot my machine. Not happy.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is only for the „knowing“:

 

It's absolutely insane that customers are having to go through this...

I've held on to the Evernote-10.58.8 disk image.  Unfortunately, this will probably become a practice.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, markdolph said:

I've held on to the Evernote-10.58.8 disk image.  Unfortunately, this will probably become a practice.

Where was that located? In C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending? That's where I found, and exterminated, the 10.59.5 installer. I don't have the 10.58.8 installer, but the next time there's a well functioning version I'm going to keep its installer handy.

Link to comment

Update on auto update

Modifying the two json files works for a while but eventually EN realises you are on an old client and downloads the new one anyway. 

When I noticed the "relaunch to install the new version" message at the top of the sidebar I then used @Dave-in-Decatur method and zapped the installer.  EN then  just installed it, I think without me even relaunching.

I have purposely tried to give only the factual information related to my experience.

Link to comment

Evernote-10.59.5 was inadvertently re-installed again yesterday.  I noticed that I had some ability to search/filter on tags if I clicked on the tag twice.  I also noticed that my mac crashed three times yesterday.  I reverted to Evernote-10.58.8. and things seem fine (knock on wood).

Any one else seeing this behavior?

Link to comment
  • Evernote Expert
39 minutes ago, markdolph said:

Any one else seeing this behavior?

I think those experiencing issues with 10.59.5 might report any, all or none of the things you mention.  But that there is a problem with the 10.59.5 release there is no doubt.

Link to comment
On 7/19/2023 at 4:55 PM, Mike P said:

3. Clicking on a tag in the sidebar frequently does not work. It seems that every other click works so I now have to double click all tags to select them.

 

39 minutes ago, markdolph said:

Evernote-10.59.5 was inadvertently re-installed again yesterday.  I noticed that I had some ability to search/filter on tags if I clicked on the tag twice.  I also noticed that my mac crashed three times yesterday.  I reverted to Evernote-10.58.8. and things seem fine (knock on wood).

Any one else seeing this behavior?

As you can see from the quote above from my original post this was one of my origional issues raised. The same happens if you click on a tag on the filter menu. You don't even have to click on the same tag twice. Clicking on first tag fails, clicking on the second tag (same as original or different) works.

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5*

I'm not exactly having problems with 10.59 but I have noticed that searching is weird - I can type in the search box and hit <return>...  and the display doesn't change;  I have to hit it again to actually start a search.  Otherwise results and other behaviour is fine,  but starting a search needs a kick.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm not exactly having problems with 10.59 but I have noticed that searching is weird - I can type in the search box and hit <return>...  and the display doesn't change;  I have to hit it again to actually start a search.  Otherwise results and other behaviour is fine,  but starting a search needs a kick.

Yep. See number one in my original list!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, markdolph said:

Evernote-10.59.5 was inadvertently re-installed again yesterday.  I noticed that I had some ability to search/filter on tags if I clicked on the tag twice.  I also noticed that my mac crashed three times yesterday.  I reverted to Evernote-10.58.8. and things seem fine (knock on wood).

 

Following the same, if V10.59..5 installs itself, I merely uninstall it and reinstall v10.58.5, remembering to ament the necessary files.  The only way I can get anything done.  I will carry on doing this until they produce a stable version.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

 

As you can see from the quote above from my original post this was one of my origional issues raised. The same happens if you click on a tag on the filter menu. You don't even have to click on the same tag twice. Clicking on first tag fails, clicking on the second tag (same as original or different) works.

 

Apologies... I should have been clear.  My mac crashed 3 times with V10.59.5 and stop crashing when I reinstalled the previous release.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5

Not long after I cleared the 10.59.5 installer out of C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending\, Evernote downloaded a file there called temp-Evernote-10.59.5-win-ddl-stage-5236-9c2e448cbf0a50ab27a2635aa27a36eea1db877a-setup.exe. I cannot delete that file: it demands that I provide administrator permission to do so, so I click Continue, get a UAC dialogue, allow the change, and then get another popup that says I need permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to the file. The options are Try Again and Cancel, and Try Again just sends me back to this same popup. I am the administrator, only user, and sole resident of this computer, I'm logged in as such, so I have no idea how I'll ever get rid of this thing. But at the same time, Evernote happily believes that v. 10.58.8 is the newest version available. I am puzzled but apparently stable.

EDIT: As I was writing that, apparently after I checked for updates and was told 10.58.8 was the latest, EN did download another installer (Evernote-10.59.5-win-ddl-stage-5236-9c2e448cbf0a50ab27a2635aa27a36eea1db877a-setup). That and its .json file could be deleted, but still not the temp-... version of the same thing.

Link to comment
On 7/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, eric99 said:

Yes, I have several search problems too:

 

I am getting the same problem when searching inside a notebook: "you no longer have access to the x notebook"

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

It's crazy to me that not only has no fix yet been posted but this hasn't even been acknowledged? Right after I posted further upthread that I was not experiencing these issues, I discovered that I am, in fact, experiencing these issues (on Mac), and they are quite frustrating. Just checked evernote.com/download and no change to the Evernote version as of just now...

Link to comment
On 7/19/2023 at 5:55 PM, Mike P said:

I have just updated to 10.59.5 and I am finding the following things happen. 

1. From Notes type in some search text. Press enter - nothing happens. Moving the focus back to the search bar and hitting enter again often works. If I already have tags selected then pressing enter clears everything and takes me back to all of my unfiltered notes. 

2. Again starting from all notes selecting items from the filter menu (tags or contains) the box closes but nothing is selected. Repeating the exercise then works

3. Clicking on a tag in the sidebar frequently does not work. It seems that every other click works so I now have to double click all tags to select them.

I've refreshed my local database and uninstalled and reinstalled the app - nothing worked. I do not get the issue on the web version.

Anybody else having similar issues?

me too have noticed the same problems

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 6:45 AM, Mike P said:

Seems to be solved by 10.60.4

 

I'm running 10.60.4 on a Mac and find that note links and searching on note tags is still flaky.  Sometimes, I need to search twice or click on a note link twice, to get the correct result. Problems go away when I quit EN and restart.  Is anyone else having the same issue?

Link to comment
  • Level 5
38 minutes ago, markdolph said:

I'm running 10.60.4 on a Mac and find that note links and searching on note tags is still flaky.  Sometimes, I need to search twice or click on a note link twice, to get the correct result. Problems go away when I quit EN and restart.  Is anyone else having the same issue?

Do the problems return after a quit and restart? I had some issue (can't remember just now) that persisted after updating to 10.60.4 on Windows, but after I restarted the computer it was resolved and hasn't returned.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Do the problems return after a quit and restart? I had some issue (can't remember just now) that persisted after updating to 10.60.4 on Windows, but after I restarted the computer it was resolved and hasn't returned.

Yes. they eventually return.  

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Come to think of it, while I'm not having any problems with tag searches in either the Windows or Web apps, I do sometimes have issues with links. Just as you say, I will click on a link, there'll be a bit of screen flash, and I'll still be in the same note. If I click the link again, I'm taken to the linked note. So it's not just on Mac. I haven't tried restarting to see if that improves it temporarily.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...