As of this morning, I can no longer share a file to Evernote from my Android s23 ultra. I get "File Permissions Required" and the file is not uploaded. I've re installed. I've given Evernote permissions. Any one have a idea how to fix this. 

• Level 5

„File permission required“ points to the OS as source of the problem.

If no one has an idea, contact support from the device where the problem occurs (app settings, tab support, issue a ticket). Attaching an activity log should be already selected by default.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, ceb12345 said:

As of this morning, I can no longer share a file to Evernote from my Android s23 ultra. I get "File Permissions Required" and the file is not uploaded. I've re installed. I've given Evernote permissions. Any one have a idea how to fix this. 

Welcome to the forums. I just tried this on my S22 Ultra and it works OK. Can you say more about the exact procedure you're following? If the problem persists, it likely will be an issue for support.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:14 PM, ceb12345 said:

I went through Samsung support and did all the normal resets and re permissions. No luck. 

Basically any app I share a file from that shows the Evernote app results in the described behavior. 

• Level 5
6 hours ago, ceb12345 said:

I went through Samsung support and did all the normal resets and re permissions. No luck. 

Basically any app I share a file from that shows the Evernote app results in the described behavior. 

OK, I tried again with a couple of different apps and am not getting this problem. If Samsung support has not been able to resolve it, it does sound like an issue in Evernote. First thing would be simply to clear the Evernote app's cache; next would be to restart the phone and see if that fixes it, both of which you've probably already done. Ultimate thing might be to be sure your notes are synced, then uninstall Evernote, restart the phone, and reinstall Evernote. You won't lose data, since it's saved on Evernote's servers. Give it a bit to download what it needs to, open the app, then try sharing to it. If it doesn't work with a whole new installation--essentially a brand-new app on the phone--then it's definitely a phone or OS issue, and you might need to escalate to a higher support level with Samsung.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I've tired everything. Evernote customer support won't respond despite several emails.  Ive been a user since 2008 so this is pretty frustrating and disappointing. 

• Level 5

Take a look at the autoresponse. It sometimes lists some help articles, and below are 2 buttons. One says something like „No, I still need help“. If it’s there you need to click it to push the ticket onto a desk.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, ceb12345 said:

Thank you for your suggestions.  I've tired everything. Evernote customer support won't respond despite several emails.  Ive been a user since 2008 so this is pretty frustrating and disappointing. 

Since you've already gone as far as reinstalling the app, and others are not reporting this here, it may well be a Samsung issue (no matter what Samsung support is saying). Can you share files to other apps? You said this just started recently--was there a system update? (I remember one not long ago myself.) If possible, you might see if you can get it elevated to a higher level at Samsung support, and maybe try the Samsung support forums.

Samsung support final response to was to to take the phone to a local ubrake I fix it store for service. I don't think they are going to repair what is clearly a software issue. 

• Level 5
23 hours ago, ceb12345 said:

Samsung support final response to was to to take the phone to a local ubrake I fix it store for service. I don't think they are going to repair what is clearly a software issue. 

Wow. Not surprising, but wow. My guess is the "fix" there would be a factory reset. 😝 Evernote support is currently swamped (maybe under the swamp) due to issues with the new sync structure, so it's possible they'll eventually get back to you.

• Level 5
47 minutes ago, ceb12345 said:

I factory reset the phone. It still has the same issue. 

Sorry to hear it. Since it doesn't seem that the problem is being widely reported, and since neither a reinstall nor a factory reset solves it, I don't know there's much more to be said here. Evernote support should eventually get back to you, but they're currently kind of overwhelmed. May I ask who your service provider is? They often tweak the OS, and I wonder if that could be the cause. Evernote v. 10 runs within the Electron framework, which handles communication with the OS, and it's conceivable (to my poorly informed brain) that the OS is asking for something that Electron doesn't know how to supply, or vice versa.

I have the exact same problem. Using Galaxy Tab 7. Also can't add downloaded pictures in a note. Also pictures I can add from my phone don't sync. There seems to be a major bug on the way. In some recent notes the picture appears in the Preview, but it does not Open.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, ThorstenF said:

I have the exact same problem. Using Galaxy Tab 7. Also can't add downloaded pictures in a note. Also pictures I can add from my phone don't sync. There seems to be a major bug on the way. In some recent notes the picture appears in the Preview, but it does not Open.

Are you also getting the "File Permissions Required" message?

6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Are you also getting the "File Permissions Required" message?

yes, first it "picture is saved to gallery" pops up (in German) - then with the EN symbol"file permissions required" and I am unable to share the screenshot to EN

• Thanks 1

I am using Samsung Fold 3 and have exactly the same problem - file any photo directly to evernote and got the message "file permission required". 

Its a same as I was thinking to upgrade my evernote to a paid account, but if this is not solved, there is not point to upgrade.

I have the same problem (using an S22 Ultra - Android 10, up-to-date ). I'm getting the message "file permissions required". Who/what would give such permission? (Evernote? Google? Samsung?) 

This problem occurred just after I finally succeeded in re-specifying a default notebook for data clipped from websites - which itself seemed to fix the non-stop "loading" problems reported by many repeatedly over the last 6 months.

I don't post often, but I do try solutions suggested by others. I keep looking for a post which will solve this. 

On 6/12/2023 at 5:46 PM, ceb12345 said:

Evernote has responded they are aware it's a problem and are working on it. 

That's good to hear. If anybody notices an update, a fix, any info, please post it in this thread. Today I reïnstalled Evernote for Android on my up-to-date Samsung S22 Ultra. I did this to find out if this had been resolved:

Before the uninstall this Evernote was fully up-to-date and sharing e.g. a screenshot to Evernote on Android worked fine. But after the reïnstall, tadaa, I now also have the infamous error message:

image.png.9c770a108868a8343548e74c43e2d167.png

As others I checked all the permissions that Evernote requests, and made sure they are given. Mildly interesting is that Evernote does not request the permissions for "Photos and videos" like e.g. Outlook and Whatsapp do. I don't think that is related, but who knows.

Well, I guess I now have 7 threads in these forums to watch closely to get my professional workflow with Evernote trustworthy, snappy and reliable again...

Workaround: A screenshot (one of my use-cases) is saved to the Galery. I can create a new note and attach a file from the galery. It is more work, but at least it works.

My conclusion is that an older version of the Samsung OS and/or an older version of Evernote requested or set this permission in the right way before, so as long as I only updated OS and/or  Evernote things kept working. A later version of the OS or Evernote did not request that permission anymore or not grand it anymore after reinstallation. For whatever that conclusion is worth. I should not have touched the installation. Sigh.

@Daniel Lagunas have you found the installation files of an older version of Evernote for Android? If so, did it solve the problem?

hey guys,

i tried to install evernote app at my old android version (8.1.0) phone.

it worked to transfer a file or a picture, or whatever files from other apps to evernote.

My phone S21 ultra is android 13 version.

i guess there is some specific file permission option on a phone, but evernote has a trouble shooting with it.

hope evernote you guys to find and fix it ASAP.

Same to me. The file permission request should be set by the Evernote Android app. So it will appear in the app permissions list.

(Long press Evernote app / app info/ permissions)

Its a small setting for the programmers. So waiting for an update 

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Larry Mun said:

I tried to install evernote app at my old android version (8.1.0) phone

Android 9 and earlier does not support the Evernote v10 app. It is not supported for updates or receive any fixes. You'll have to stick with the S21 for v10.

Support on my ticket: Moving forward, upon checking, this is a known issue and we are still currently working on a fix. Although I can't give you a specific time frame of when this issue will be fixed, please do know that our technical team is now hard at work on addressing this issue. I've gone ahead and gathered all the helpful information you provided and added to the report that is open with the development team.

I ask for your utmost patience with this and thank you for understanding.

• Thanks 2

Just adding my name to the list of people with the "File Permissions" problem. Mine is a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. I was trying to add a picture to a note & got the infamous file permissions message. Reading this thread has saved me a ton of time & aggravation. Will follow & wait for a solution. Thanks to all that have reported the problem & attempted various fixes.

• Like 2

This is definitely an error on Evernotes side and not Samsung or whatever phone your using, would be interesting to see what response iPhone users are getting. I'm getting the same error on my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 1TB and also my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus tablet, I've noticed this error has also appeared after a recent update from Evernote. Let's hope they fix it soon. 

• Thanks 1

I have also started to experience this problem in the last several days. My phone is a Pixel 7 Pro and if I capture an image using CamScanner and then attempt to share it as a JPG to Evernote, it will show "File Permissions Required", and nothing turns up in Evernote. The same CamScanner image can be shared to OneNote as a JPG without any issues.

I have noticed this also. I can share files and screenshots to a myriad of other apps but when I try via EN, this message regarding permission shows. It's a new Android 13 phone. Reinstalled the app and also no game.

Same issue here on Pixel 7 Pro with all udates applied.

When I try to share a screenshot to EN, I have a brief red error page full screen, and it exits without storing the image. And I have "File permissions required" error too since I have uninstalled/reinstalled EN to see if that would fix the issue.

I will raise a ticket.

Chiming in with a me to. I just switched from one s22 to another one for to a cracked screen and everything worked fine when sharing an Google photos image into Evernote on the old device but now I get the file permissions required on the new device. 

9 horas atrás, VincentC disse:

Same issue on my Pixel 6.  I never noticed it before because I don't use the function.

It was one of the main uses for me in EN Android, when I do a quick screenshot on the go and needed to save it directly to a note. I really hope a future update will solve it.

• Like 1
5 horas atrás, lea-ann disse:

Chiming in with a me to. I just switched from one s22 to another one for to a cracked screen and everything worked fine when sharing an Google photos image into Evernote on the old device but now I get the file permissions required on the new device. 

It's annoying not to be able to use it as quick and as efficiently as in previous phones.

Maybe something related to an updated Android version? I see a lot of reports here are related to different phone brands, and they are all kinda new. Can someone here share via new Android version native sharing system?

Hello! I sent a message to Evernote regarding sharing files permissions (and also included the 'Image' button issue mentioned above). They replied confirming the issues were already known and have already been reported to the team. Here's an excerpt:

"It is my understanding that when you share files to Evernote on your Android, you get the error message saying "Files permissions required". Additionally, you are also unable to attach an image when selecting the blue insert (+) button then selecting "Image". (...) Upon further checking and investigating, I was able to confirm that these two behaviors you just described are known issues that were already reported to our development team. I apologize for any inconvenience these may be causing you now. Although I don't yet have a time frame for when these issues will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix them as quickly as possible. We are also hoping to have these issues resolved permanently soon."

Great to hear from EN and to know they are already working on a permanent solution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, ceb12345 said:

I have the same problem - Samsung S21 ultra unlocked. 

Same problem.  Can not share ANY media with Evernote with Note 20.

AND the pen stopped working a few weeks ago (already posted that in another thread).  And it's not a 'me' thing.

Is there any way to rollback to older version of Evernote??? 

• Evernote Expert

Yes, as long as you are happy going via one of the APK mirror services and download the APK and then upload and install it to your device.  Be warned, however, the Play Store will simply update the app unless you block updates.  Then, of course, you will not get the future updates when the issue is resolved.

I have the same issue on a Pixel 6 Pro and have just submitted a ticket with EN.  Funny that I just removed / reinstalled EN Android to fix this issue below.. and now am getting this.  Ugghh, one error leading to another.  Come on EN Team, you can do better!!

On 2023. 6. 16. at 오후 4시 9분, agsteele said:

Android 9 and earlier does not support the Evernote v10 app. It is not supported for updates or receive any fixes. You'll have to stick with the S21 for v10.

I meant my main phone S21 ultra android v13. And occured 'file permission required' error. 

Old phone with android 8 doesn't have the error. 

I guess it caused by a trouble shooting between  android High version and recent Evernote version.

15 hours ago, Neil Maxfield said:

Very much a known issue dudes, they are absolutely working on a fix. Frustrating I know.

PS - this is a user to user forum @Larry Mun but I assure you the issue is well understood, if not yet the fix

@Neil MaxfieldHey Neil. Thank you for telling this. i forgot its user forum. 

just saying so annoying cause i liked this app much. :(

Thanks again.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:01 PM, agsteele said:

You can search via any number of APK repositories. You will have to sideload the chosen APK and be sure to block automatic upgrades otherwise you'll be back around to the newer version again.

Or just persevere and anticipate the arrival of a new release with a fix.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:40 PM, bmcl26 said:

Many thanks, I only noticed this earlier today when I tried to send a receipt to EN.  The Red notification disappeared before I could read it.  Reinstalling solved it.

On 7/5/2023 at 11:50 PM, BEHA said:

Meanwhile it has gotten so bad that a re-installation and clearing the cache, restarting the device, etc. no longer help anything.

No clipping from websites, from pictures from the phone gallery are no longer possible.  Nothing works anymore. 🤬😡😤

On 5/25/2023 at 3:14 AM, ceb12345 said:

Did you get any update as I'm experiencing the same problem.

When trying to share any file/picture/attachment in Android (Samsung Galaxy S22+) from any app to Evernote, an error message is received "FILE PERMISSION REQUIRED".

This is a new behavior, I was able to share anything with Evernote in my Android phone.

From last Evernote app update it is not working anymore.

I'm using the last Evernote app available in the Google Play Store.

My Samsung phone is updated to the last version of software/security updates available.

Below the Evernote support answer 

Alyssa S. (Evernote Help and Learning)

1 jul 2023, 14:54 GMT-7

Hello Pablo,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support. I'll be happy to assist you with your concern.

I understand that you are getting an error when trying to share files or attachments using your Android device. This may have been inconvenient for you, as this interrupts your usual workflow.

Please know that we are aware of this issue and our development team is working on a solution. Although I don't yet have a time frame for when this issue will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it as quickly as possible. I know that this does not immediately correct this issue, and I appreciate your help in reporting this.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have more inquiries or questions, please contact us back.

Regards,

Alyssa S.

Customer Support

On 5/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, PinkElephant said:

„File permission required“ points to the OS as source of the problem.

If no one has an idea, contact support from the device where the problem occurs (app settings, tab support, issue a ticket). Attaching an activity log should be already selected by default.

I have the same problem s20

Same problem here. I have an s22 ultra and after this Samsung update I began having this problem. I did send in an email to Evernote and sent them an activity log. The screen recorder is crashing though so I can't send them a video of my procedures. I hope they fix this soon! Does it have anything to do with the fact that they were sold to a European buyer?

• Evernote Expert

Nothing European about this. The issue rolled out while the Dev team were still in the USA.

We've been told that there will be a fix in the next release.

• Thanks 1
Em 27/05/2023 at 09:26, ceb12345 disse:

I’m going through the exactly same problem 

Em 13/06/2023 at 15:50, MvdH disse:

Isso é bom de ouvir. Se alguém notar uma atualização, uma correção, qualquer informação, por favor poste neste tópico. Hoje reinstalei o Evernote para Android no meu Samsung S22 Ultra atualizado. Eu fiz isso para descobrir se isso tinha sido resolvido:

Antes da desinstalação, este Evernote estava totalmente atualizado e o compartilhamento, por exemplo, uma captura de tela para o Evernote no Android funcionou bem. Mas após a reinstalação, tadaa, agora também recebo a infame mensagem de erro:

image.png.9c770a108868a8343548e74c43e2d167.png

Como outros, verifiquei todas as permissões solicitadas pelo Evernote e verifiquei se foram concedidas. Um pouco interessante é que o Evernote não solicita as permissões para "Fotos e vídeos" como, por exemplo, o Outlook e o Whatsapp. Eu não acho que isso esteja relacionado, mas quem sabe.

Bem, acho que agora tenho 7 tópicos nesses fóruns para observar de perto para tornar meu fluxo de trabalho profissional com o Evernote confiável, ágil e confiável novamente...

Solução alternativa:  uma captura de tela (um dos meus casos de uso) é salva na Galeria. Posso criar uma nova nota e anexar um arquivo da galeria. Dá mais trabalho, mas pelo menos funciona.

Minha conclusão é que uma versão mais antiga do sistema operacional Samsung e/ou uma versão mais antiga do Evernote solicitou ou definiu essa permissão da maneira correta antes, desde que eu apenas atualizasse o sistema operacional e/ou as coisas do Evernote continuassem funcionando. Uma versão posterior do sistema operacional ou do Evernote não solicitou mais essa permissão ou não a concedeu mais após a reinstalação. Por qualquer valor que essa conclusão valha. Eu não deveria ter tocado na instalação. Suspirar.

@Daniel Lagunas você encontrou os arquivos de instalação de uma versão mais antiga do Evernote para Android? Se sim, resolveu o problema?

No meu Android Xiaomi 11 T Pro, o EVERNOTE não está sendo permitido captura de tela.

🙌👊👍 I just updated to Evernote Android version 10.52.1 dd Juli 12th 2023, and for me after installation opening image, sharing to Evernote now works correctly. Also screenshot, resize, share to Evernote, working correctly. So far so good. For me sharing to Evernote bug seems fixed.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Today I called CHATTED with Samsung?  Agent took control of my phone and went into settings? Tried a few different things? Then had me take a screenshot and share to evernote while he watched.  First 2 tries didn't work? He tried something else and finally it worked!  I told him everyone is having problems with this issue? He said he would pass the word to other technicians.  I SUGGEST CHATTING AND... Download SMART TUTOR APP!!!

• Level 5
On 3/27/2024 at 9:27 PM, AnnDC1 said:

Today I called CHATTED with Samsung?  Agent took control of my phone and went into settings? Tried a few different things? Then had me take a screenshot and share to evernote while he watched.  First 2 tries didn't work? He tried something else and finally it worked!  I told him everyone is having problems with this issue? He said he would pass the word to other technicians.  I SUGGEST CHATTING AND... Download SMART TUTOR APP!!!

Thanks for this. (Although I would say that a lot of people had this problem last year, not that everyone is currently having the problem.) Do you know what it was that he tried that worked? Was there a log of the process that might have that information? It could be golden if the issue pops up again!