What? We can't we search by multiple tags any more?

I've been an avid Evernote user for years, I've recommend it to all my friends. But as of the new version, it appears that it has lost some features that have been truly *essential* for me. Evernote has been first and foremost, my go-to meticulously-indexed cookbook. It's one of the major reasons I bought an iPad, so I could use it easily in the kitchen. I depend on it daily for that purpose.

I have three thousand recipes (I know.. I'm a cooking geek), gathered over forty years and dutifully entered into Evernote from multiple sources. I've laboriously tagged every one of these recipes by ingredients, seasonal and regional cooking, methods of cooking (air fryer, bread machine, etc), and categories of dishes (quiche, hot beverages, etc). I've also used tags to organize several possible dishes for one meal. I might gather all possible recipes for a meal under the tag "Thursday" or "Thanksgiving", then whittle down those possibilities and then proceed to shop and cook.

Until the recent new version, I could go to my recipes notebook, look to the upper right corner, and click in multiple tags to narrow down my options.  I might select these tags: salad + seafood + ginger + Asian cooking. Voila, my three thousand recipes would be reduced to perhaps a half dozen along those lines. Another time I might select the tags for sweet potato + beer, dark + sausage. Or pears + cardamom + baking, sweets. You get the idea.

The fact that suggestions for those tags would show up without having to type them in precisely was a very big help, because I sometimes put an exclamation point ahead of the name of tags to make them more prominent in a list. There is NO WAY I could possibly remember the exact "spelling" of every one of my tags, to enter them into a search box exactly as they are named. I've treasured the fact that the box when searching for tags would auto-populate with suggestions. I could simply click one tag, plus another, and another, to narrow down my possible recipes.

These features are the primary reason I have joyfully used Evernote. They are the reason I've spent easily *hundreds of hours* over the years, organizing my recipes this way. But now it appears that those beloved features are long gone!!

I've tried using the search feature, but instead of bringing up tags, it brings up bunches of irrelevant results from notes that aren't recipes at all. Apparently I can no longer search for multiple tags to narrow down my search, which has been absolutely essential to my using Evernote. I've tried typing in "tag:___" but I keep getting "no results" because I happened to type something like "chicken, baked" instead of "ckn, baked". If I have to agonize over the precise wording of a tag, over and over and over, or scrollllllllllllllllllllll through my extremely long list of tags, meanwhile garlic is burning on the stove, then no way.

Absolutely. No. Way.

Please help. I'm really hoping that these treasured features are not gone for good. From the looks of it, tagging has now been crippled in a way that looks utterly pointless to me.  Do I need to now move hundreds of tagged recipes into separate notebooks? But that still doesn't replace searching for multiple tags. Honestly, what is the point of tagging if we can't use it to whittle down the notes within a notebook? Are they now completely separate functions? What's the point of that?

I'm really afraid that my meticulously-assembled cookbook is now unusable, and that is heartbreaking. OMG....  the thought of starting over with some other note-taking app, converting three....... thousand ........ recipes........ 😞

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Hold the meltdown - slightly.  You can still use Evernote Legacy (the old version) - except not on iOS.  Any desktop or Android will help you out.  And yes,  most of the features are coming back... eventually.  No timescale for which and when though.  See the (many, MANY) other posts in the Forums over the recent past for more...

That means I can't use my iPad (iOS) for cooking any more --and that's the primary reason I spent *big bucks* on an iPad. I think anyone would get pretty hot under the collar about that.

If I have to return to the Legacy version on my computer, that means I lose all the positive new features on the computer. It means I can never upgrade Evernote there, ever.  Wouldn't that mess up syncing eventually, as Evernote continues to add new versions?

More to the point, having to choose recipes on my computer in my office puts me back to the old clunky method of printing out recipes, scribbling down edits on paper as I cook, then accumulating stacks of hand-written notes that I never get around to transcribing into the computer.

I bought an iPad, to never, ever have to do that again. 😞

I honestly do not see the point of eliminating such a very useful feature as searching for multiple tags at once. That, IMHO, is a major step backwards for Evernote. Really not a fan of this new version.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Tiggerlou said:

lose all the positive new features on the computer. It means I can never upgrade Evernote there, ever.

No,  the Legacy app is designed to work alongside EN10 - you can still get the ongoing updates,  which hopefully will include the search features you need,  as and when they are released.  iOS is also being updated - it's only down to Apple rules (according to Evernote) that there's no legacy option there either.

20 minutes ago, Tiggerlou said:

Really not a fan of this new version.

I'm open minded about where this is going,  but their launch strategy really sucked.  Much better to invite new users to try it out,  but warn everyone that certain features would not be available immediately.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Tiggerlou said:

click in multiple tags to narrow down my options.  I might select these tags: salad + seafood + ginger + Asian cooking. Voila, my three thousand recipes would be reduced to perhaps a half dozen along those lines. Another time I might select the tags for sweet potato + beer, dark + sausage. Or pears + cardamom + baking, sweets. You get the idea.

Screenshot is from my Mac, selecting multiple tags using the filter option at the top of the note list1695236434_ScreenShot2020-11-11at9_08_19AM.png.2235d2750a078d36af6835baba9aa5b1.png

We've requested a similar feature for IOS here

• Like 1

I was complaining  about this too...... the new version eliminated the ability to see tags just associated with a particular notebook.......AND  I didn't realize I couldn't search multiple tags

Tags: 

if I was in a particular  notebook I only saw tags that are on notes within that note book 

if wasn't in a particular notebook I saw all tags within evernote 

• Like 2

You can search by multiple tags, but search...

1. Type the keyword of a tag (no need to type "tag:") until there are relevant tags shown under the apply filter.
  2. Tap that tag you want.
  3. Tap the search bar.
  4. Type the keyword of another tag and then tap that tag you want.
  5. Tap the search bar again
  6. Type the keyword of another tag and then tap that tag you want.
  7. Tap the search bar again
  8. ...

But it's much crazier than on v8.24.6.

Plus I don't understand when Evernote strives to unify code base but they don't unify experience. There are so many examples...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you have a permanent internet connection to your iPad and don't need it offline you could also use the web interface via Safari (https://www.evernote.com/client/web).  The web interface provides the ability to simply tap multiple tags without having to type anything.  You can also tap Safari's Share icon followed by "Add to Home Screen", then when opening from the home screen it looks like an app without all the web browser bits cluttering up the screen.

• Like 1
On 11/11/2020 at 10:39, gazumped dijo:

Hi.  Hold the meltdown - slightly.  You can still use Evernote Legacy (the old version) - except not on iOS.  Any desktop or Android will help you out.  And yes,  most of the features are coming back... eventually.  No timescale for which and when though.  See the (many, MANY) other posts in the Forums over the recent past for more...

Cual fue el punto de haber sacado la mejora de EVERNOTE en Imac, Windows y IOS si realmente no estaba listo. Si Uds. hacen un análisis de las respuestas de los múltiples usuarios, se darán cuenta que era mas inteligente dejar a la gente / usuarios dejar trabajar en el viejo Evernote "Legacy" y evaluar con una comunidad especifica de senior usuarios lo que Uds pretendían hacer. Por ejemplo la supuesta mejora que uds  pregonan como lo mejor de el nuevo Evernote son los filtros. EL usuario de Evernote aprendió a usar los libros y las etiquetas, de esa manera cual fue el esfuerzo de crear filtros que no funcionan (Solo funcionan cuando es un solo filtro).

Para ara que dedicar esfuerzo en como buscar listas, pdf, tablas, URL, etc. Quien haya aprendido a usar EN sabe como buscar lo que quiere encontrar. 

• Level 5*

56 minutes ago, JOrge Sanguino said:

What was the point of getting the EVERNOTE enhancement out on Imac, Windows and IOS if it really wasn't ready. If you do an analysis of the responses of multiple users, you will realize that it was smarter to let people / users let the old Evernote "Legacy" work and evaluate with a specific community of senior users what you wanted to do. . For example, the supposed improvement that you proclaim as the best of the new Evernote are the filters. The Evernote user learned to use books and tags, in that way what was the effort to create filters that do not work (They only work when it is a single filter).

To spend effort on how to find lists, pdf, tables, URL, etc. Anyone who has learned to use EN knows how to search for what they want to find.

I think a lot of users agree with you!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gazumped

For we the worse is the tab & screen management...

• No possibility to copy and paste textes and images
  • No possibility to send note by email
  • Tag not in a good place to read
  • Check box not efficients
  • No possibility to manage tab or display 2 notes in 2 screens!...I works every day with 7 tab opens!
  • No search option efficient 
  • And the display of the list mode is too tight!

There are too much no ! !!

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

On 10.4 iOS I can search for multiple tags in the Filter menu. 

Open search, right side of the search bar is the Filter button.

then add the tags.

But it does not suggesting tags when you type in the search bar

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 5:11 PM, DTLow said:

Screenshot is from my Mac, selecting multiple tags using the filter option at the top of the note list1695236434_ScreenShot2020-11-11at9_08_19AM.png.2235d2750a078d36af6835baba9aa5b1.png

Not the same. Much easier having multi selected tags on the tags list, acting as a search filter.

Related to tags, not even going to make comments on not having the possibility to sort notes by tag anymore :(

Hope that, with time, all these nice features that were removed might came back.

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, DTLow said:

That filter option is a joke. Why not simply let us select all our tags from the sidebar where they are easily selectable? No, that would be too easy, right. No, let's do it the hard way, from the new (not) improved filter where you need too many clicks, and, wait for it, cannot save the selection as a filter.

I don't know about the general user base, but they lost me by killing that feature. After being a user for ten years.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

You can click on any tag in the side panel, and get it set as a filter. One tag as Filter at the moment.  If you need more, use the advanced search syntax to set up a search. You can still save searches, maybe this slipped your attention.

If you don’t like it and want to get serious about it, I have a simple idea for you: Subscribe, because only subscriptions earn the money to develop the software and services. As a subscriber you can EN tell everything you want - here are only other users.

To expect everything without contributing doesn’t work, at least not in the long term.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
9 hours ago, Thomas Eyde said:

That filter option is a joke. Why not simply let us select all our tags from the sidebar where they are easily selectable?

When V10 was released the amount of functionaility in the sidebar was severly reduced. Over time this has slowly increased so I hope the old shift-click functionality to select multiple tags will return at some stage.  Measnwhile for desktop users the legacy remains and, as @PinkElephantpoints out, there is the search syntax which also allows you to search for tag1 OR tag2 etc

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, Thomas Eyde said:

That filter option is a joke. Why not simply let us select all our tags from the sidebar where they are easily selectable? No, that would be too easy, right. No, let's do it the hard way, from the new (not) improved filter where you need too many clicks, and, wait for it, cannot save the selection as a filter.

I don't know about the general user base, but they lost me by killing that feature. After being a user for ten years.

I tried the FILTER drop down to get multiple TAGS, then realized I had added a tag I did not want, BUT could NOT delete JUST that tag. Had to cancel the ENTIRE multiple TAG search-for then click-checkbox routine and START AGAIN. Am I doing it wrong?

On 5/14/2021 at 1:05 AM, Mike P said:

When V10 was released the amount of functionaility in the sidebar was severly reduced. Over time this has slowly increased so I hope the old shift-click functionality to select multiple tags will return at some stage.  Measnwhile for desktop users the legacy remains and, as @PinkElephantpoints out, there is the search syntax which also allows you to search for tag1 OR tag2 etc

On 6/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, goshgolly said:

I tried the FILTER drop down to get multiple TAGS, then realized I had added a tag I did not want, BUT could NOT delete JUST that tag. Had to cancel the ENTIRE multiple TAG search-for then click-checkbox routine and START AGAIN. Am I doing it wrong?

My experience on the Windows desktop version is that you can just click the ticked box again and the tick disappears. I don't use V10 on IOS so I can't comment directly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/12/2020 at 3:58 AM, Alvin C said:

You can search by multiple tags, but search...

1. Type the keyword of a tag (no need to type "tag:") until there are relevant tags shown under the apply filter.
  2. Tap that tag you want.
  3. Tap the search bar.
  4. Type the keyword of another tag and then tap that tag you want.
  5. Tap the search bar again
  6. Type the keyword of another tag and then tap that tag you want.
  7. Tap the search bar again
  8. ...

But it's much crazier than on v8.24.6.

Plus I don't understand when Evernote strives to unify code base but they don't unify experience. There are so many examples...

but i would have to know the tags I am searching for.......  I know that sounds like a odd statement, but before if I was in a particular notebook and searched  tags...only the tags associated with notes in that folder showed.  

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If you wanna do something, it’s good to know what’ya are doin … here is how to use 1,2,3, … many tags for searching:

First go to the filters, tags.

OK, you want to search for a tag, but don’t know the tag. When you start typing into the search field, you will see all tags that contain the characters. Not only at the beginning, everywhere. Don’t worry, you will find it. From the tags that show select the one you mean (but don’t remember).

Now erase the tag search field. Enter the next idea of a tag. Select the correct one from the list. A second tag is added.

Proceed adding as many tags as you want. Then hit Enter, and the search using ALL of your tags will be performed.

No note is found ? Easy - you added at least 1 tag too much.

Go back to start. 

Repeat until happy.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:39 PM, greginfla said:

but i would have to know the tags I am searching for.......  I know that sounds like a odd statement, but before if I was in a particular notebook and searched  tags...only the tags associated with notes in that folder showed.  

you‘re asking for the legacy Tag filter 👍 - a long, long, long requested, and still not implemented, request - it‘s absolute boring this is still not available 😡. The current implementation of the Tag „filter“ is just a Tag selector (shows all Tags currently in use in the Evernote DB - and not just those, used by the current selection of notes -so, no downthrill possible)

• Like 3
  • Level 5

When you start to type a letter (just one), tasks appear that contain that letter. Typing one more, and it starts to narrow down.

Even if you have a high number of tags, usually only 3 letters will already narrow it down to a very small number. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 12:40 AM, PinkElephant said:

When you start to type a letter (just one), tasks appear that contain that letter. Typing one more, and it starts to narrow down.

Even if you have a high number of tags, usually only 3 letters will already narrow it down to a very small number. 

yes, but, as you know, this approach requires you to remember what Tags have been used or assigned to a note. Narrow down (the list of notes) by showing only those Tags currently used by a list of notes is still needed from beginning of V10.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Depends on the number of tags you use. If you get close to the system limit (100.000 tags), probably searching for a tag can become complicated. I use a few hundred tags, plus do a cleaning action every several months - don’t have an issue to find my tags. Another method can be nesting tags with some logic behind it - you then just need to drill down inside of a category.

One simple nesting system can be build alongside basic questions like When - What - Where - Who - Why - How . This plus a few sets for special interests usually covers 80% of tagging for an individual account.

• Level 5*

Independent of the number of tags a search process which winnows remaining tags based upon tags selected is a great way to find notes.  It is a shame that is a feature than has not made the journey to date.  Another reason to delay adopting V10.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Em 19/02/2021 at 23:10, PLV disse:

d to tags, not even going to make comments on not having the possibility to sort notes by tag anymore

image.png.edc4f3e84f4475594843e83a26eaee9f.png

Just look at how powerful a tag filter dropdown menu can be inside one especific notebook. I am a medical student, and having the legacy tag filter is essential to my information retrieval system. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Paulo Octávio said:

If i want to search all my tags i simply go to all notes or the tags menu. Simple as that. The new filter is just counterproductive.

Hi.  Well,  for the moment you have Legacy;  and if the new filters don't match up with the functionality you need,  I'd suggest you raise it with Support - the developers don't necessarily use the search options at your advanced level.  If you can explain to them what you need - a link to this Forum thread would be a start - maybe they can understand where what they have developed is falling short. 

Use the feedback option in one of the apps,  or if you're a subscriber - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• Level 5

It would be nice if users understood that what may not work for themselves may work great for others.

When I look at the screenshot above, I get a slight feeling that a) this sort of setup may be taking a tagging system to extremes and b) it is done in an inefficient way.

There is a lot of „Cardio - dash - something“, followed by „Chirurgia -dash-something“. This leads to a flood of tags.

I would use one tag for the discipline (Cardio, Chirurgia, etc.) and another for the content. Or a nesting, with Cardio on the first level.

This in turn makes the filters effective, as they are.

The tags are nested within a major tag like Cardiology or Endocrinology. The reason why i use many tags is because some notes are located in different notebooks, which are usually organized by periods. The dashes relates to a sub theme inside a medical specialty.  The advantage of using this tag system is that i can find books, pacient remarks, articles or résumes related to a single theme even if they are located in different notebooks or stacks. If i want to search inside a notebook or stack, i just click at the legacy tag filter and voila.

• Like 1
Em 12/09/2021 at 10:35, gazumped disse:

Hi.  Well,  for the moment you have Legacy;  and if the new filters don't match up with the functionality you need,  I'd suggest you raise it with Support - the developers don't necessarily use the search options at your advanced level.  If you can explain to them what you need - a link to this Forum thread would be a start - maybe they can understand where what they have developed is falling short. 

Use the feedback option in one of the apps,  or if you're a subscriber - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Thank you.

• Like 1
Em 12/09/2021 at 12:28, PinkElephant disse:

It would be nice if users understood that what may not work for themselves may work great for others.

When I look at the screenshot above, I get a slight feeling that a) this sort of setup may be taking a tagging system to extremes and b) it is done in an inefficient way.

There is a lot of „Cardio - dash - something“, followed by „Chirurgia -dash-something“. This leads to a flood of tags.

I would use one tag for the discipline (Cardio, Chirurgia, etc.) and another for the content. Or a nesting, with Cardio on the first level.

This in turn makes the filters effective, as they are.

The tags seem to be flooded but they get organized by themselves when i click the filter.

It allows me to see the tags inside a stack of notebooks or notebook without having to remember exactly what i am looking for.

In this example i can look for themes tagged inside my stack of notebooks called  8th semester. Making it especially useful around mid terms when i am searching for classes slides or classroom notes.

image.png

• Level 5

This type of preselection filter is gone with v10 - no idea whether it will return.

In general bundling several aspects into one tag creates a 2*n effect. If you have 3 tags independently, you have 3 tags. If you want every combination, you get 8 (2 to the power of 3). With only 4 it is already 16, with 5 it is 32, and so on. 

Usually you won’t have any combination, so it will grow slower.

To keep it linear, you need to keep the tags for an area of interest „flat“, without creating combinations.

You use them by selecting several in a filter. This is what is supported by the current clients. When you add a notebook, it serves as a filter, without it it covers all notes with the selected combination.

In effect it does the same as the combined tag names - but since it recombines with every filter or search, it does not exhaust the combinations.

It is in general more future proof than a system using single complex tags.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:52 PM, PinkElephant said:

Depends on the number of tags you use. If you get close to the system limit (100.000 tags), probably searching for a tag can become complicated. I use a few hundred tags, plus do a cleaning action every several months - don’t have an issue to find my tags. Another method can be nesting tags with some logic behind it - you then just need to drill down inside of a category.

One simple nesting system can be build alongside basic questions like When - What - Where - Who - Why - How . This plus a few sets for special interests usually covers 80% of tagging for an individual account.

Another issue is when working with shared notes (by others to you) - since you may have no idea what Tags are used by that (foreign) person(s) (usually teams should have an 'agreement' what Tags in a particular project may be used), a real filter is a mandatory/core/highly recommended feature 🙂

• Like 2
On 9/12/2021 at 4:29 PM, Paulo Octávio said:

If i want to search all my tags i simply go to all notes or the tags menu. Simple as that. The new filter is just counterproductive.

yes, therefore I call this a "Tag selector" - not "Tag filter" anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, greginfla said:

so I guess there hasn't been any progress or acknowledgement on this issue?   Is it even clear what is being requested/asked?

The original post was late last year just after the new v10.1 had been launched.  In 11 months since we're on 10.22 as various issues have been addressed (and some window-dressing has been added...).  I don't know whether the OP's query has been resolved,  but only approaches direct to Evernote Support through the ticket system are likely to get a response from the company.  Posts here tend to get the benefit (for a very loosely defined interpretation of the word) of our collective user expertise. 

• Level 5

The original post is a bit „wordy“. The core idea is that filters should help in building a search: Once the first tag / notebook was selected, the filter should only show tags present in that first selection, and so on.

So maybe you start with a notebook, have only 10% of all tags left, select a tag, and now have only 5 other tags left, because the existing selection already excludes all others.

This is currently not a feature in v10. I am not aware that EN said something about implementing it, neither positive nor negative. Maybe it is just one open position somewhere down the backlog, among others.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

v10 still lacks some features. Many are coming back, one by one. They added for example with one of the last releases that if you are inside of a specific notebook and start a search then, the notebook is preselected as a filter (with the ability to switch to „all notes“ with a click).

If the feature of this thread is important for you, send your request directly into EN. You can use the feedback function build into the clients, or issue a support ticket.

The forum is user2user.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

well I took the advise of @PinkElephant and submitted a support ticket on this topic....     maybe if more people do this it may get EN attention 

Joyce S.
  • 1 month ago

Hello there Greg,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. My name is Joyce, and I will be assisting you today.

It is my understanding that you wanted to enquire if Evernote will bring back the the feature to filter tag like in Evernote Legacy as you find this very helpful.

At the moment, this feature is not yet available in the new Evernote app. However, this is one of a handful of features we are still considering.

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Any news? I am still using Evernote Legacy a lot because i really love the tag filter in Evernote Legacy. It's so easy to find the notes you are looking for. I still don't understand why Evernote 10 removed that option and why it's not back yet. It's now july 2022 and i am afraid it will never get back which is a shame cause it is such a powerful search method. I don't like the searching in Evernote 10 at all.

• Level 5*
On 7/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, Henk_B said:

Any news?

According to the post immediately before yours,  Support said " However, this is one of a handful of features we are still considering."  That does not mean you'll see action in any reasonably short length of time.  On the plus side Legacy is still here...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 3:45 AM, gazumped said:

On the plus side Legacy is still here...

Not for me, unfortunately 😪
Several days ago it started crashing.
Could not identify the reason.
I'm afraid this is the beginning of Legacy's end ☹️
Installed ver. 10.41.5
Terrible!!

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, oded said:

I'm afraid this is the beginning of Legacy's end

I don't think so - I'm still happily using Legacy on my Windows 10 laptop with no obvious drop in performance - it's no worse than it ever was!  If you're having issues I'd recommend a Revo uninstall (provided you don't have any local -unsynced- notebooks) plus a restart / reinstall.  Evernote's server will even rebuild your Legacy database for you...

• Level 5

The thread title is completely misleading. Sure you can search and filter for multiple tags, notebooks, content, combining them among each other. I even like the new filter tool better than the old way of setting it up.

The discussion is about a feature in legacy that reduced the available options once a first search / filter item was selected. It is nice, but quite obviously the vast majority of users have no problem that it has not surfaced in v10 yet. This, dear legacy addicts, makes it less and less probable that EN will feel an urge to code it for the new version.

So if you want it, contact EN (that is not us other users in the forum) via feedback or support ticket.

Beside this, legacy 7.14 is still working as before on my Mac.

• Like 1

I wrote the original post (OMG, November 2020…).  I am doing just fine with searching using multiple tags. The issue is closed as far as I’m concerned.

This discussion has moved on to other topics. I figured if people are finding that discussion useful, it’s fine by me, so I just let it go, letting it run its course

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you're having issues I'd recommend a Revo uninstall (provided you don't have any local -unsynced- notebooks) plus a restart / reinstall.  Evernote's server will even rebuild your Legacy database for you...

Exactly what I've done! (more than once...)
Didn't help ☹️
I guess I'll have to choose between 2 (bad!) options: Learn to live with version 10 (seems impossible!!) or find a new solution for nearly 10,000 notes , 20,000 (just a guess - maybe much more!) attachments and 200+ tags...

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, oded said:

Exactly what I've done! (more than once...)
Didn't help ☹️
I guess I'll have to choose between 2 (bad!) options: Learn to live with version 10 (seems impossible!!) or find a new solution for nearly 10,000 notes , 20,000 (just a guess - maybe much more!) attachments and 200+ tags...

Yeah, I faced the that dilemma at the end of last year, and went for door number 2.  Which is not an option for the faint hearted.  You need to be sure there is no path forward for you on V10 as there is some work involved, some of which is potentially cleaning up your data.  Glad I did it now but it was a journey  

If you decide to move on I would recommend before Legacy sunsets as the export tools therein are much better than those in V10. 

5 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, I faced the that dilemma at the end of last year, and went for door number 2.  Which is not an option for the faint hearted.  You need to be sure there is no path forward for you on V10 as there is some work involved, some of which is potentially cleaning up your data.  Glad I did it now but it was a journey  

If you decide to move on I would recommend before Legacy sunsets as the export tools therein are much better than those in V10. 

Thank you Cals 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, oded said:

or find a new solution for nearly 10,000 notes , 20,000 (just a guess - maybe much more!) attachments and 200+ tags...

Well,  I'm finding v10.41.5 on Windows 11 is all I need for my activities,  plus it and v6.25.1 on Windows 10 cope with my 57,517 notes / 300+ notebooks and 1500 (or so) tags just fine.  Invest some time with Support,  make sure your main devices are thoroughly housecleaned,  and you should be golden...

49 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Well,  I'm finding v10.41.5 on Windows 11 is all I need for my activities,  plus it and v6.25.1 on Windows 10 cope with my 57,517 notes / 300+ notebooks and 1500 (or so) tags just fine.  Invest some time with Support,  make sure your main devices are thoroughly housecleaned,  and you should be golden...

99% of my attachments are PDF ones, so by default are displayed within the notes.

Legacy gave me the option to "save as attachment" all of them eith one click.

V10 requires a seperate click for every attachment in evety note...

I guess I'll give up 😊

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, oded said:

99% of my attachments are PDF ones, so by default are displayed within the notes.

Legacy gave me the option to "save as attachment" all of them eith one click.

V10 requires a seperate click for every attachment in evety note...

I guess I'll give up 😊

Three reasons I left V10, my use case in particular.

1. It's click and scroll happy, your PDF issue as an example.
  2. It takes longer to find things without the shortcut bar, always visible, the saved searches icon, and tag finder, Alt+Shift+T,  I mean you can type it all in the search bar or click your way through, but it just takes longer.  For me anyway.
  3. No Local notebooks.  A real issue for me.
  4. It was slower performance wise, though recent releases (web) have improved dramatically.  So close to par now, but still slower to display stuff.

Good luck in your decision making.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, oded said:

Thank you!!
(Btw, where did you go?)

Reported elsewhere in the forums.  A combination of apps.  My prime use case has been paperless, tasks, and general note taking.  I wanted to be able to access confidential and regular stuff on multiple devices/platforms.  I wanted good fast search.  I wanted as simple a linkage as I could get between apps.  So I rolled my own as I could not find one product that did the job, other than 6.25.1.  ☺️

1. For my repository I exported all my notes via HTML (57,000) to a local folder structure using MEGA as the cloud provider for syncing.  This keeps EN tags in play for search.  MEGA has end to end zero knowledge encryption and an IOS app.  Two branches in MEGA tree, Evernote and Post EN.  All the new stuff is in Post EN folders. 2500 docs added year to date.
  2. I turned on Windows Indexing for the MEGA folder.  Search speed is amazingly fast.  Few lags with 25 GB of files.
  3. I use Directory Opus as the gateway to the repository.  It provides search and display and has an easy to use saved search equivalent.  It's kind of my EN substitute GUI.  Has nice touches like dual folder display and metadata editing.
  4. I use Workflowy for task management and note taking.
  5. I use AutoHotKey to automate the repetitive stuff.  For example, I may add the title of a file to a node in Workflowy and add a reminder.  When I hover over the line in WF and press <RIghtMouse><Ctrl> a search is executed in Directory Opus and the file is displayed.
  6. I use Google Sheets to replace all of the tables I had in EN.  The sheets can be linked in WF.

Basically I have DOpus always open on my right screen and WF open in a browser tab on the left.  Sounds more complicated than it is, but I guess I morphed here in the first couple of months.  At this point I am as productive as I was with Legacy.  No lags.  YMMV. 

I'd as soon be in EN, but V10 really wasn't working for me.  It's a use case thing.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, oded said:

Thank you CalS!

This really looks too complicted for me 😳

I don't think the new version will ever get Legacy's features, so I'll search for something else.

For sure not everyone's cup of tea.  Hope you find what something that fits.