Device limit change for Evernote Basic - to include web access

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

17 hours ago, Vidalia said:

All valid points. I do use attachments. I keep attachments and in respective folders and only insert the path of attachment in my notes.

But I admit this process works if your note taking is predominantly using desktop.

For mobile devices, in my experience, the fastest note taking apps are usually those which are bundled with the apps itself e.g. Apple Notes notes and similar for Android where each manufacturer provide their own notepad which allows rich text note taking.

Handwriting is a pain in mobile though. I simply can't do in small mobile screen. Tablets/iPad is better for handwriting.

My pet hate for word processors is that, besides being slow at times, they are designed for single document editing where as note taking is shuffling between several notes at a time. So I want to see word processors with EN style file listing on the left. Notepad++ does it, along with few other apps, but they only handle plain text.

I have also realized that hoarding notes does not help. 90% of my notes have no value after 6 months and it is not a great loss if these notes are not in a common place. The very nature of "note" is a throwaway type. If a note needs to be preserved, it becomes a document in my computer disk.

I have also started taking notes using pen and paper [shock - horror] 😦. From my scribbling, if I discover something worth preserving for future, I just retype else just let it fade into oblivion. This works as a filtering mechanism and prevents garbage entering into my "digital notes" system.

Everyone is different - so if something works for me does not mean it will work for others. 😀 We are all individuals with different needs and wants.

The way you describe your use, I think Joplin would work great for you.

My wife still uses and loves Evernote. (Although she expects me to organize and clean up her records...). She just dumps dozens of tidbits of info into it, with a fair amount of PDFs and web clippings, so it works great for her. She’s been complaining about v10 issues, but not too much.

I’ve gone back to OneNote, I use it extensively at work and developed some workflow and brainstorming techniques using it, that also help me in personal life.

There’s no one-fit-all solution.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Vidalia said:

Handwriting is a pain in mobile though. I simply can't do in small mobile screen. Tablets/iPad is better for handwriting.

[Snip!]

I have also started taking notes using pen and paper [shock - horror] 😦

Oh yes, handwriting in Evernote is the absolute pits. Probably the main reason I went the Samsung Notes route. OneNote has very decent handwriting capabilities as well, but  I find that there is some kind of unpublished size limit which corrupts notes between the PC and a tablet, whether it's an iPad or a Samsung tablet.

I'm a fountain pen user and collector, so I hear you on the handwritten note using pen and paper thing. Still a very enjoyable experience, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

I’ve gone back to OneNote, I use it extensively at work and developed some workflow and brainstorming techniques using it, that also help me in personal life.

There’s no one-fit-all solution.

I've actually been trying to use OneNote, myself. In spite of the fact that my handwritten notes sometimes become corrupt between a PC and a mobile device, I find that it is the most platform agnostic note taking platform, aside from Evernote. My big thing about OneNote is that I've gotten used to how Evernote sorts its notes, and the whole organization of notes (pages, tabs, notebooks, etc) in OneNote really throws me off. I do use OneNote for work quite extensively, and I tend to treat it almost like having a three-ring binder, with tabs and pages.

I had also gotten used to the wway Evernote sorts the most recent edited note at the top, where as there is no such feature in OneNote, to my knowledge. It's the same with Samsung Notes, where it will sort the most recently edited note at the top.

Oh, another thing -- I've thought about the cost of Evernote compared to, say, Office 365 Personal. If memory serves, the cost is comparable. In my mind, I'm thinking that I can either spend my subscription dollars on Evernote and get a great notetaking platform (cost increases aside), or on O365 and get a so-so notetaking app (OneNote) which doesn't really compare well with Evernote in an apples-to-apples manner.  Plus, I'd get the 1TB of Onedrive storage and access to all of the Office productivity applications.  This is what makes me pause when it comes to Evernote's pricing.  Sure, I can afford both, but, is it money well spent? 

It's almost like how I compare Disney+ to Amazon Prime Video -- I have a Disney+ subscription b/c I love The Mandalorian and I guess I can also rewatch the Star Wars and Marvel movies (this is "my Evernote").  I have Prime Video because I do a lot of Amazon shopping and it happens to come with a fairly okay streaming movie selection - not the best, but it's a great option as a free inclusion with my Amazon Prime subscription (this is "my Onenote"). I guess I'm still searching for the Netflix version of a notetaking and productivity suite...

• Level 5

Another option: One can spend money on EN, and save it on O365. I use the Apple solution for work (pages/Numbers/Keynote), plus Libre Office when I need 1:1 compatibility.

Anybody should know his use cases, and spend money where the investment gives a positive return. Any hard core user of O365 functions will probably stick with it, but to write a letter here and then or make a simple table can do without it. The same is true about EN - the Basic version will do for many. 

9 hours ago, JT404 said:

I've actually been trying to use OneNote, myself. In spite of the fact that my handwritten notes sometimes become corrupt between a PC and a mobile device, I find that it is the most platform agnostic note taking platform, aside from Evernote. My big thing about OneNote is that I've gotten used to how Evernote sorts its notes, and the whole organization of notes (pages, tabs, notebooks, etc) in OneNote really throws me off. I do use OneNote for work quite extensively, and I tend to treat it almost like having a three-ring binder, with tabs and pages.

I had also gotten used to the wway Evernote sorts the most recent edited note at the top, where as there is no such feature in OneNote, to my knowledge. It's the same with Samsung Notes, where it will sort the most recently edited note at the top.

The recent note feature is available, it just works differently depending on the version and platform. On iOS, the most recent notes are shown in the Today widget. In W10 version, there’s a “history” button under the search button. And in the Desktop version, there’s no “Recent” command but there’s a free Onetastic Calendar add-in that shows what notes were edited on what day (which imho is a superior way of implementing the Recent or History view).

But back to my point - it is not Evernote, and nothing else will be a direct replacement.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Another option: One can spend money on EN, and save it on O365. I use the Apple solution for work (pages/Numbers/Keynote), plus Libre Office when I need 1:1 compatibility.

Anybody should know his use cases, and spend money where the investment gives a positive return. Any hard core user of O365 functions will probably stick with it, but to write a letter here and then or make a simple table can do without it. The same is true about EN - the Basic version will do for many. 

There’s no 1:1compatibility. Libre Office is fine for personal use, but if you collaborate with others professionally, it’s not fully compatible. It’s somewhat compatible. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I don't disagree -- and we die-hard EN users will very likely consider the option in your first paragraph. But the average "cloud consumer" will likely go where they perceive is "biggest bang for buck" and that's when EN will bleed market share and likely lose a large swath of paying customers. And that's a concern for me as EN won't be sustained by the die-hards who remain simply b/c we know that EV does notetaking much better than the others (well aside from the handwriting bit) -- I mean, look at BlackBerry with their superior product and an immensely loyal small following, but look where they are now (I was one of the BB die-hards at the time).

Interestingly, I've doing it the opposite of what you describe - looking at EN alternative and have had to settle for bits and pieces here and there. :D I still need to decide if I still want to renew my annual EN subscription in July or settle for the "good enough" elsewhere. I went through the same consideration process when I finally decided to drop Dropbox and simply use OneDrive (though the latter has improved significantly in the last 12-18 months).  The change of the EN Web licensing does make me pause -- but only b/c I'm thinking that EN Basic may not be "good enough" if I want to still have it -- so my consideration likely has to factor in a complete divestment.

If EN's goal is to get rid of the riffraff who are only using their service on a free basis and are therefore leaching from the service without EN even breaking even, then their move is valid. But even in this very discussion there, there have been paying customers who have become disenfranchised with the price increases over the last half dozen years.  Honestly, it is EN's problem to solve, not ours;  if they indeed see a shift in their market share and any diminishing of their paying subscriber base, then they will need to maneuver themselves accordingly.  I do think that this whole thread can serve as a good source of market analysis for them, if the participants are a sampling of what the masses of their subscribers are feeling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

48 minutes ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

There’s no 1:1compatibility. Libre Office is fine for personal use, but if you collaborate with others professionally, it’s not fully compatible. It’s somewhat compatible. 

Exactly. In fact, the very reason I moved off of BlackBerry as my mobile platform of choice is b/c of their poor support for SMS messaging as compared with iOS and Android. Plus, most of my friends and family weren't using BB Messenger for video chats, and Google Hangouts and Google Duo didn't work well enough on BlackBerry 10.

One can spend money on EN, and save it on O365.

O365 is part of corporate subscriptions in most multipnational companies as well as educational institutions. The license often allows O365 in personal devices too. So, for millions of people Microsoft Office is effectively free. Even if not, then LibreOffice can open DOCX and XLSX files easily. Most people don't have enough complex formattting or macros to prevent interoperation with non-Microsoft applications. I think DOCX is now defacto world standard for formatted documents.

I would argue that EN should abandon their ENEX format and either adopt standard HTML and/or DOCX. The DOCX format is now open so EN should be able to read/write DOCX. EN can't compete with Microsoft (or Google or Apple for that matter) so best to have a product that complements these behemoths' product range.

The way you describe your use, I think Joplin would work great for you.

Tried Joplin. It is a good product and free. Only 2 dislikes - I am not a great fan of Markdown and don't like storing all notes in one SQLDB database (yes, EN does in same way with SQLDB I think).

8 minutes ago, JT404 said:

I don't disagree -- and we die-hard EN users will very likely consider the option in your first paragraph. But the average "cloud consumer" will likely go where they perceive is "biggest bang for buck" and that's when EN will bleed market share and likely lose a large swath of paying customers. And that's a concern for me as EN won't be sustained by the die-hards who remain simply b/c we know that EV does notetaking much better than the others (well aside from the handwriting bit) -- I mean, look at BlackBerry with their superior product and an immensely loyal small following, but look where they are now (I was one of the BB die-hards at the time).

Interestingly, I've doing it the opposite of what you describe - looking at EN alternative and have had to settle for bits and pieces here and there. :D I still need to decide if I still want to renew my annual EN subscription in July or settle for the "good enough" elsewhere. I went through the same consideration process when I finally decided to drop Dropbox and simply use OneDrive (though the latter has improved significantly in the last 12-18 months).  The change of the EN Web licensing does make me pause -- but only b/c I'm thinking that EN Basic may not be "good enough" if I want to still have it -- so my consideration likely has to factor in a complete divestment.

If EN's goal is to get rid of the riffraff who are only using their service on a free basis and are therefore leaching from the service without EN even breaking even, then their move is valid. But even in this very discussion there, there have been paying customers who have become disenfranchised with the price increases over the last half dozen years.  Honestly, it is EN's problem to solve, not ours;  if they indeed see a shift in their market share and any diminishing of their paying subscriber base, then they will need to maneuver themselves accordingly.  I do think that this whole thread can serve as a good source of market analysis for them, if the participants are a sampling of what the masses of their subscribers are feeling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whether or not EN is a “superior” notetaker depends on personal preferences, learned habits, workflows, and having an intimate knowledge of the platform vs a cursory knowledge of competition. I wouldn’t be *that* categorical. 

From the simple business point of view, EN seems to have taken the path of squeezing more money from the existing committed users as opposed to trying to grow their user base. Which is not a sustainable long term plan.

6 minutes ago, Vidalia said:

O365 is part of corporate subscriptions in most multipnational companies as well as educational institutions. The license often allows O365 in personal devices too. So, for millions of people Microsoft Office is effectively free. Even if not, then LibreOffice can open DOCX and XLSX files easily. Most people don't have enough complex formattting or macros to prevent interoperation with non-Microsoft applications. I think DOCX is now defacto world standard for formatted documents.

I would argue that EN should abandon their ENEX format and either adopt standard HTML and/or DOCX. The DOCX format is now open so EN should be able to read/write DOCX. EN can't compete with Microsoft (or Google or Apple for that matter) so best to have a product that complements these behemoths' product range.

Tried Joplin. It is a good product and free. Only 2 dislikes - I am not a great fan of Markdown and don't like storing all notes in one SQLDB database (yes, EN does in same way with SQLDB I think).

I disagree. If you are using an open source Office suit strictly for personal needs, sure. If you are a student working on a project with others, or if you are trying to quickly edit a work document on a home laptop, or you run a small business and need to use a customer specified template, you will very quickly run into formatting incompatibilities, even before you deal with macros. Been there. 

• Like 3

This change makes Evernote way too cumbersome for me to use. I understand they want to monetize it. But I use it to store just two documents that I update less than once per month. I have a work laptop, a home PC and a phone. Paying at the level of M365 for this usage is unreasonable.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes

Are you sure? It's not described that way. This is their description:

With Evernote Basic, you can use the Evernote app on up to two devices. This device limit applies to the following Evernote apps:

• Evernote for Mac
  • Evernote for Windows
  • Evernote for iOS
  • Evernote for Android
  • Evernote Web

Each device where you’re signed in to the Evernote app counts toward your device limit.

If you have multiple devices of the same type, each one counts toward your device limit. For example, if you sign in to your Evernote account on two different iPhones, it’s counted as two devices.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

See 

They should really make this more clear. It belongs in an direct email to affected users and in this FAQ that I quoted from:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068-Understanding-the-device-limit

• Level 5

IMHO they don’t need to send e-Mails. Users of the Basic plan are no customers, there is no contract binding both sides to terms for a period of time. EN can at any time modify the Basic plan. The last change was caused by some Basic users who got „smart“, swapping between devices all the time. OK, clever move, they harmed all users that now have to live with new restrictions.

The help article is clear enough, so why send millions of mails to users ? There is enough spam flying around the globe.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

IMHO they don’t need to send e-Mails. Users of the Basic plan are no customers, there is no contract binding both sides to terms for a period of time. EN can at any time modify the Basic plan. The last change was caused by some Basic users who got „smart“, swapping between devices all the time. OK, clever move, they harmed all users that now have to live with new restrictions.

The help article is clear enough, so why send millions of mails to users ? There is enough spam flying around the globe.

That's just it: the help article is not clear enough. My reading of the help article made me believe Evernote web is counted once for each device it's used on.

• Level 5

And if it was ?

This is exactly what I want to show: The Basic plan is AFAIK not meant for people who seek tricks around the limits. EN describes the plans general restrictions, they don’t need to describe every aspect in every detail. The use is BASIC, that says it all.

The message is not „If I combine this little detail with that exception, I can work around that limit“. The message is „If you seriously want to use EN, subscribe“.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

And if it was ?

This is exactly what I want to show: The Basic plan is AFAIK not meant for people who seek tricks around the limits. EN describes the plans general restrictions, they don’t need to describe every aspect in every detail. The use is BASIC, that says it all.

The message is not „If I combine this little detail with that exception, I can work around that limit“. The message is „If you seriously want to use EN, subscribe“.

Message received: Evernote wants me gone. Cool, I'll use something else.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, EricInCO said:

Message received: Evernote wants me gone. Cool, I'll use something else.

Cool, since you are on a saving trip, try Nimbus. Most features, nice free plan - for 50 notes, and that is it.

Not 50 a month, not 50 per notebook, 50 in total. Probably they got told by their employees that they work better if they have something in the fridge when coming home. Amazing ...

• Level 5
41 minutes ago, TonyLim said:

I am slightly over 10,000 notes.  My Evernote web is 10.8.4.

They said they are working to lift this limit, but currently it is that. So if you are just slightly above, you could try to get rid of some notes, export some or wait until they get it fixed.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

They said they are working to lift this limit, but currently it is that. So if you are just slightly above, you could try to get rid of some notes, export some or wait until they get it fixed.

I am already on the latest Evernote web 10.8.4.  Don't need to get rid of some notes.  My post is to let @kolenkid or whoever affected that the limit of 10,000 notes may have been lifted or at least it is not a hard limit, since I have about 10,800 notes.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TonyLim said:

I am already on the latest Evernote web 10.8.4.  Don't need to get rid of some notes.  My post is to let @kolenkid or whoever affected that the limit of 10,000 notes may have been lifted or at least it is not a hard limit, since I have about 10,800 notes.

Thanks for letting me know. But I have more than 15.000 notes and I'm stil stuck at V 5.33.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

IMHO they don’t need to send e-Mails. Users of the Basic plan are no customers, there is no contract binding both sides to terms for a period of time.

Not true, BASIC plan users are customers, just like you and me. The difference is in service agreement and the payment details, but when you register a account you accept: By creating an account, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

When you read the Terms of Use you will discover the contract terms between user and Evernote.
So BASIC users are as much as customer as PREMIUM users with different service aspects and agreements 

18 hours ago, Vidalia said:

Well, Evernote notes have much more information in them than just formatted text (reminders, tags, hierarchy). As far as I know there is no standardised format for notes in a note-taking application, quite possibly because note-taking applications work differently so no single format would be adequate.

As for DOCX being open, I'm afraid it isn't. It's covered with patents and copyright. So many parts of the spec are defined as "this should work the way it does in Word 2005" or some such. I remember following along in 2008(?) how Microsoft spent millions to corrupt the standardisation process. It's one of the reasons to this day that I will not touch Microsoft products. 

I'm sure OpenOffice for example would love to support DOCX to 100% but it is illegal for them to do so.

Another problem with large tech companies is how they throw money at a new product in order to take over the market. OneNote may be free for the users, but it costs Microsoft 100s of millions of dollars a year. There is no way any specialist company can compete with this. The result is a monopoly like ie6 or WhatsApp -- both "free" for the end user but they end up stifling innovation for a decade (in the case of ie6). 

Oh, while I'm on it: notes created in OneNote using the desktop client cannot be opened in the OneNote web client. This is also quite typical for Microsoft.

---

Oh, btw: i'd say that the de facto world standard for formatted documents is actually html. It's probably used about 100X more than DOCX.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, ArjenC said:

Not true, BASIC plan users are customers, just like you and me. The difference is in service agreement and the payment details, but when you register a account you accept: By creating an account, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

When you read the Terms of Use you will discover the contract terms between user and Evernote.
So BASIC users are as much as customer as PREMIUM users with different service aspects and agreements 

That legal stuff does not make a customer out of a user. It is standard and legally necessary that you need to establish a relation between service provider and user, even if the service is offered for free.

When a company takes my money to provide a service for a period of time, they are obliged to fulfill this contract. They can improve on the conditions, but they can’t simply take features away. They can do at the end of the contract, for example renew only based on new conditions. But not simply from now on make a one-sided change with negative impact on the customer. Yes, I know, what about v10 ...

On a free plan, the provider is basically free to change the conditions at any time. What they can’t do is simply remove access altogether, or delete the data of the users. But restrict devices, limit upload (download is not limited, note the difference this makes for the access to the data), reduce features (send note as an e-mail is now Premium), all this can be done. Even deleting stuff is possible, with enough lead time - just look what happens to the free Google photo cloud at the moment.

If it is clever to do so, or good marketing is another question. Regarding EN, the customer level starts with a PLUS subscription.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I understand needing to require a subscription to continue the service. I have been using this app a bit longer than I can remember, but its been years. I use it extensively. While I would pay for premium, it feels like I got a better app before the paywall went up. Too many features that were apart of the regular version suddenly became locked behind the paywall, which feels like the app has been stripped down rather than built up to offer more. 

What brought me here is that I cannot use it offline on my laptop because of either my mistake or an error, but it resulted in my laptop being locked out for the rest of the month. At this point I'm beginning to recognize that the developers do not necessarily make this app for the same people it was originally intended for. Which is why a paywall went up over most of the features that were previously not behind a subscription. It may not sound fair, but I don't want to have to pay for features that were free. And so while I like some of the new things added, I'm too annoyed to pay for those because I feel stripped of what I used to have.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, AdamBlight said:

the developers do not necessarily make this app for the same people it was originally intended for. Which is why a paywall went up over most of the features that were previously not behind a subscription.

I'm confused. The only 'paywall' is a stricter limit on the number of devices that can be connected to a Basic account.  The actual Basic features are the same as they've always been - about 90% of what you get as a subscriber,  just subject to lower limits including the number of devices.  If you're talking about the difference between v10 Basic and Legacy Basic - that's a development issue;  time will see ...most... of the previous features being returned,  as soon as the Evernote team finish reading the Elektron 'quick start' guide. 

On 4/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, AdamBlight said:

Which is why a paywall went up over most of the features that were previously not behind a subscription

Which features? The Basic account has not has any features taken away, just a more strict device limit. The difference between Basic and Premium has been the same for years now (not including new features like Home).

On 4/17/2021 at 4:52 AM, buckethead said:

Which features? The Basic account has not has any features taken away, just a more strict device limit. The difference between Basic and Premium has been the same for years now (not including new features like Home).

When I first began using Evernote I didn't have to pay to recover deleted content within a note. I had not actually noticed this until some months ago as I had not required the feature in a long time. I also did not experience limitations on synching and deselecting devices. I can understand not allowing more than two devices at once, but the limit on being able to deselect seems unnecessary. I don't even realize how I apparently ended up meeting the limit, because I only use two devices, yet every now and then I'm asked to choose which devices to keep, in which I select and move on.

Can the developers keep the limited number of devices that can by synced without locking you out if you apparently already deselected twice that month? Locking you out from a particular device seems unnecessary when you can just keep forcing the user to choose two.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, AdamBlight said:

When I first began using Evernote I didn't have to pay to recover deleted content within a note.

If you're talking about Note History, that's been a subscription only service for as long as I can remember. And as for unlimited device changes,  that simply gets around the device limit - you're just limited to using two at a time.  Once a device has signed into Evernote it seems to be counted as 'registered' so to use a new phone (forinstance) you really need to disconnect the old one properly first.

Understanding the device limit

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the new lower device limit enforced for the first time.

I had just upgraded to the new web version the other day so when I reloaded a couple of days later, up came the prompt.

Had to remove from iPad so I can keep using web and the iPhone app.

I checked out their premium plans.  Way more than I could justify for the use.

Oh well, I better be prepared for Basic, at least as we know it, to go away.  

I realize they have to make money but while useful for personal notes, it's not worth $8 a month.

• Level 5

Anybody can take a decision - just be aware  that the conditions of the Basic plan may change any time. EN in the past has always been fair with changes, and has never cut access to the notes already created.

Very long time Evernote user here. I pay for the yearly subscription (grudgingly at this point, as I feel like the more “features” Evernote adds the worse the product and the performance actually gets.) My wife doesn’t use Evernote as a primary app the way I do, and so has been using the free plan for years. This change in the way the number of devices is counted wouldn’t be horrible, except for the fact that they also limit the number of times you can “unsync” your devices. We just upgraded phones, and it’s literally impossible for her to log into Evernote right now because of the device count and because we already tried to “unsync“ devices. The idea that we’re being forced into an “upgrade” is more than a little annoying. This doesn’t feel like an upsell. It feels like extortion to me.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, hyyen said:

If I upgrade my phone, I'm going to have problems replacing my old phone with the new one on the basic plan?

Access the device list in your user settings   
Revoke access on the old phone   
Login with the new phone

• 1 month later...

They need to add a "lite" pay level. I don't use the app enough to validate paying the fee. All of the other paid benefits do nothing for me aside from being able to use the web interface on my work computer where I cant install anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

The difference now is between a cup of „to go“ per month, or an empty cup. One cup is too much ? Sorry, no half fills on the menu.

That means: Any subscriber causes a certain amount of load to the company processes. You need to deduct this from the fee to see the net impact. I doubt it really makes sense to microsplit the plans into yet another level - just to raise net income by nothing, because of the overhead cost. I think the old Plus plan (that is still supported for users who subscribed to it as long as it was offered) hardly generates any profit margin.

Premium is take it or leave it - and live with the consequences like the device restriction.

Disclaimer: My personal opinion, nothing official, no inside knowledge.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Disclaimer: My personal opinion, nothing official, no inside knowledge.

According to the recent alerts everyone should have had,  new product levels are being launched "soon" - though Evernote's definition of that word seems to be a bit variable... 😏

They've made the web version slower to load sometimes on Safari.

If they want to force out basic level users with this rejiggering of plans, I'll miss the best days of EN, which were probably a few years ago.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, hyyen said:

If they want to force out basic level users with this rejiggering of plans

More likely, it's an incentive for Basic level users to convert to paid levels (carrot)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In fact EN has not changed much about the Basic plan. The only relevant change is to count the web client as a device - justified by EN saying that the web client is now on feature parity with the desktop clients, which is hard to debate.

What IMHO has changed is the enforcement of the plans limits: If there are more than 2 devices, EN won't load; the number of unsyncs per month is limited and controlled, etc. I don't think this is about forcing anybody out who has followed the rules - it is more about those users who stretched the limits of the free plan. They feel the limit enforcement for sure, and THIS is intentional. 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

"That’s why, starting in October, Evernote Web will count as a device towards the 2-device limit under our Basic plan."

And that is why I will be moving away from Evernote completely now.  When you took away any from of automation in the client (Applescript specifically) I downgraded from the paid version I had been using since...  forever to the free version and stated using Devon for the automated things I used to us Evernote for.  With two devices I put one client on my desktop and one on my phone (for photos).  I would primary use the web on my laptop (my workhorse), though not very often as it was of such little value as crippled at it was (as you can tell by how I am just now noticing the change even though it was apparently in effect since October).  Now I can't do that anymore, which has dropped the value of Evernote from low to none.  I won't be deleting my data, but I won't be adding to it anymore.  We had a nice run, but it's time for me to full peruse other options.

• Level 5

You got the message right: Free is no use plan any more, it’s a trial plan. It seems you are beyond trying, and I really don’t see any reason why part of my subscription money should be diverted to finance your continued use.

Thanks for posting, farewell.