Device limit change for Evernote Basic - to include web access

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

• Level 5*

Just got this email 

Device limit change for Evernote Basic 

Evernote has been rebuilt from the ground up to help you be more organized with less effort. If you use Evernote Web, this means you now have faster search, more formatting controls, and added features that were previously only available on other platforms: 

Stacks
Group related notebooks together and organize them by any category you want. 
Reminders
Set reminders in your notes to schedule action items and follow-ups. 
Collapsible sidebar
Minimize the sidebar when you’re not using it. 
Tag Enhancements
Nest tags to keep them organized. You can also search tags and rename them. 

These additions to Evernote Web give you the full-featured experience you’re used to on our other platforms. That’s why, starting in October, Evernote Web will count as a device towards the 2-device limit under our Basic plan. You can manage your devices anytime from your account settings. For more information about the device limit, please see our FAQ. If you use Evernote on multiple devices in addition to Evernote Web, we’d like to help you keep on doing so. That’s why we’re offering you a chance to upgrade to Evernote Premium for 25% off. Premium allows you to sync unlimited devices, access notes offline, and so much more. To take advantage of this offer, please click here and subscribe. The offer is valid until October 31.Thank you for using Evernote. We’re excited for all the ways our newly rebuilt apps will help you keep life organized. Best,
The Evernote Team 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I just got the email saying that the Basic plan will now only allow you to use Evernote on ONE device in addition to accessing the web version.

I'm utterly disgusted by this, and that really is the last straw. I can take or leave the feature changes or updates. For me Evernote has met my needs just fine for nearly a decade, and the only change I've actually given a toss about in this time frame has been Dark mode. But no longer providing a free option that I can use on all of my devices pretty much undermines the whole point of the software for me. And it's enough for me to go to the big bother of going somewhere else.

I would have preferred to send feedback as an email to the product team, but of course I was funnelled into coming here instead. That's on you, Evernote.

• Like 2

Oh my days.... the free crowd on Reddit are going to pop a vein!!

I say good move. I'd rather my notes are kept by a company that has income and makes a profit!!

Nothing wrong with paying for what you use👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I say good move. I'd rather my notes are kept by a company that has income and makes a profit!!

Agreed

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yeah, I started paying for Evernote as soon as I realized what it was doing and could do for me. But it's a teeny bit hard to imagine anyone starting to pay for v. 10 of the Windows program. When I started paying, the desktop program was highly functional, if imperfect. Since it currently offers relatively little that the Web interface doesn't, why pay to use both? I suspect more people with relatively little already stashed in EN will look elsewhere rather than pony up.

• Like 2

Maybe they need to add a "lite" pay level. I dont use the app enough to validate paying the fee. All of the other paid benefits do nothing for me aside from being able to use the web interface on my work computer where I cant install anything.

• Like 6

Unlikely to bother anyone on here, given that most will be premium users already. But it feels a bit tin eared to make this change now when the new version is so troubled. If the idea is to prompt more people to pay a sub, is this really the right moment to make them make a decision one way or another?

• Like 5
4 hours ago, RoyMan said:

Maybe they need to add a "lite" pay level. I dont use the app enough to validate paying the fee. All of the other paid benefits do nothing for me aside from being able to use the web interface on my work computer where I cant install anything.

Yeah, for me the big price jump a few years ago moved me away from EN. I'd be very happy to pay like $15/year but not $96/year. They're essentially making the basic version a non-expiring trial version. Which is great. But $96/year means EN would have to be my most important productivity app--just as important as MS Office for example.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

People can still use it for free for as long as they want - they are just limited to 2 devices. If you are using it on more than 2 devices then you probably realise that it's quite useful and you should pay for it...

• Like 2

I'm so glad we can be more "organized" as one is required to sign out of devices more often making it less convenient.

Through Evernote web, I used to be able to stay signed in to my desktop, laptop, and smartphone without a problem. Now, when I get on Zoom on my laptop, I will have to sign out on my desktop, sign in on my laptop, and then switch back after the meeting is over.

What about people that use computers in public places such as schools or libraries? I'm not saying its happening often.

I'm technically signed into both the app and the website on my desktop so whatever works best with my work flow. I'll now have to choose one or the other.

Why not simply expand the limit of 2 devices for basic users to 3? This would ensure less limiting. 

I would consider switching to another note taking app, but none of the others I've tried have the features I need.

I would pay $15 a year for say 3 devices but I don't use it enough to pay $100  a year. As it is I basically just use it to store manuals, receipts etc.

It is the same with Dropbox. I'd pay $ 15 a year for 20 Gigs of storage but even their basic paid plan is just too much for me. So if I hit the limit in Dropbox I will just buy another external drive and be diligent with my backups.

I can't understand why companies like Evernote and Dropbox don't seem to get that there is a small fortune waiting out there for them if only they offered a proper "budget" price for a very basic and limited version of their software that satisfies the needs of thousands of potential customers rather than just focus on hundreds of "premium" ones.  

• Like 1

Thinking that some places like Hong Kong and Taiwan, which can still enjoy the original USD$45/year subscription, will have a price hike to the same as other countries very soon.

Next up, (I predict) this forum will be shut down as it provides support for basic free users. To have support please pay first and contact their support team directly.

I don't want to criticize the company like this but every their move is showing me they want you to pay (more) while giving you less and worse.

They are trying to step up and challenge more and more users.

1. Unusable iOS version to some mobile users.
  2. Mac/Windows versions removing features to larger amount of power, paid  users.
  3. Free users' number of devices limited (calling up to pay before their new Evernote is complete).

For step 3, they have done similar before. The price hike in 2016 without any improvement.

I have followed Twitter by searching "Evernote" to see how users respond to the above actions. They have sparked more and more users' frustration for a month. More people addressing Windows issues, and much more people are talking about the free limitation, especially claiming to moving to Notion.

A Reddit user worried about Evernote would disable export function (You can't rule out this possibility as their new Evernote has removed other formats expect .enex and the company does not want to communicate with users, enclosing information including the roadmap).

If the Premium and new software is reliable solid fast as well as willingness to communicate (not just interviews), users will be happy to pay. But they ask you to buy more pains, just giving you false hopes that twelve months to be waited to bring back features and reliability. Will you really trust this company?

Reminders (and stacks) where previously always available in Evernote Web. The reminders disappeared in the new version. That's why I'm still using the old web-version.

So Evernote is now letting customers pay for features that are gone.

It's a strange way of treating your customers! 

• Level 5
52 minutes ago, kolenkid said:

Reminders (and stacks) where previously always available in Evernote Web. The reminders disappeared in the new version. That's why I'm still using the old web-version.

So Evernote is now letting customers pay for features that are gone.

It's a strange way of treating your customers! 

Umm ... there are lots of problems, but reminders and stacks have been working in the new Web client for quite some time. Reminder is at the bottom left of the note, next to tags. To put a notebook in a stack (from the Help article on stacks):

1. In the left panel, select Notebooks to open the notebook list view to the right.
  2. Click the More actions button (three dots) next to the notebook you would like to add to a stack.
  3. Select Add to stack from the drop-down menu, then select New stack to create a new stack or select a stack name to add to an existing stack.
  • Level 5
On 10/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, Richenda said:

I just got the email saying that the Basic plan will now only allow you to use Evernote on ONE device in addition to accessing the web version.

I'm utterly disgusted by this, and that really is the last straw. I can take or leave the feature changes or updates. For me Evernote has met my needs just fine for nearly a decade, and the only change I've actually given a toss about in this time frame has been Dark mode. But no longer providing a free option that I can use on all of my devices pretty much undermines the whole point of the software for me. And it's enough for me to go to the big bother of going somewhere else.

I would have preferred to send feedback as an email to the product team, but of course I was funnelled into coming here instead. That's on you, Evernote.

I agree that cutting Basic users down to Web + 1 is very, very poorly timed. Yet there does have to be a line somewhere; you already couldn't use it on all your devices unless you only had 2. And as someone who has been paying for your multi-device freebie for a few years ... well, I just have a hard time sympathizing. OneNote is free, if you like paying for the whole MS Office package. Google Docs is free, if you like Google knowing even more of your business. The main thing that is truly and absolutely free is ... nothing. Somebody's paying somewhere, with money or with personal information.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Timing probably is currently not the strongest side of EN (watching at their release policy).

But it seems they have just decided it is time now to earn some money. So if you loose 50% of all Basic accounts, what happens ? Well, nothing in terms of revenue, and probably very little in terms of customer attraction. Those who can do with the change will anyhow not upgrade, those who can’t will get lost, or be converted into a customer (= paying user). IMHO this is quite a non brainer, no problem with me.

For me @Dave-in-Decatur the much more relevant question is how many paying users will get lost over this update disaster. Sure, most will be on an annual subscription. But this means every month 1/12th of the Customer base is confronted with the question whether to stay or to move. I hope EN  gets its act together - I do not like the idea to continue to pay the same price for a degraded product when „my month“ is coming.

• Like 2
On 10/21/2020 at 5:49 PM, boydston said:

Yeah, for me the big price jump a few years ago moved me away from EN. I'd be very happy to pay like $15/year but not $96/year. They're essentially making the basic version a non-expiring trial version. Which is great. But $96/year means EN would have to be my most important productivity app--just as important as MS Office for example.

ditto.   I was paying for 4-5 years, but the price jump, and my lack of travel now, made me drop back to basic.   

I think I echo a lot of the users here in that if we are using it on more than two devices we probably are getting a fair bit of use out of it and paying our way isn’t an unreasonable expectation. I would strongly urge them to bring back a plus tier, even it if had device restrictions to 3 or 5 or something. The difference between basic and premium is crazy high in upload and storage etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Umm ... there are lots of problems, but reminders and stacks have been working in the new Web client for quite some time. Reminder is at the bottom left of the note, next to tags

There are no reminders in my new web client. And it isn't possible to select reminders in the 'All notes' view. I contacted Evernote and they say that they are still working on it. So it's strange that some people can set reminders in te web client and some people can't.

45 minutes ago, kolenkid said:

There are no reminders in my new web client. And it isn't possible to select reminders in the 'All notes' view. I contacted Evernote and they say that they are still working on it. So it's strange that some people can set reminders in te web client and some people can't.

Do you use evernote V10.2.1 or do you stick to the old version? At least for me reminders work properly in my web client

1 hour ago, wbutchart said:

I think I echo a lot of the users here in that if we are using it on more than two devices we probably are getting a fair bit of use out of it and paying our way isn’t an unreasonable expectation. I would strongly urge them to bring back a plus tier, even it if had device restrictions to 3 or 5 or something. The difference between basic and premium is crazy high in upload and storage etc. 

I understand evernote has a bootstrap problem: if *all* evernote users would pay a fair fee, prices could drop dramatically and everybody would be happy. The big question is, how can you make this transition without the risk that existing paying users switch to a lower plan and the rest would still stick at Basic plan...

15 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I understand evernote has a bootstrap problem: if *all* evernote users would pay a fair fee, prices could drop dramatically and everybody would be happy. The big question is, how can you make this transition without the risk that existing paying users switch to a lower plan and the rest would still stick at Basic plan...

Yeah, I know, cause I would be one of the first to do it lol! But, if they want basic to pay, there needs to be something closer to their actual needs, considering the 60mb etc restrictions that costs around half of premium. When you consider the price of office and what you get there for the subscription Evernote premium is costly in comparison. 

1 hour ago, eric99 said:

Do you use evernote V10.2.1 or do you stick to the old version? At least for me reminders work properly in my web client

No I use V5.33.0. It has the new lay-out. But I can't update the web-client to a newer version.

• Level 5

The web client usually updates itself. You can just choose between the classic and the new client.

Maybe you have something chached in your browser. Try on another one, or clear the cache.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The web client usually updates itself. You can just choose between the classic and the new client.

Maybe you have something chached in your browser. Try on another one, or clear the cache.

I tried different browsers on different computers, but I still get V5.33.0. It seems that Evernote is not giving everyone the same web-experience.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, Jon/t said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Even when a software/service is "free", I prefer a paid level or alternate product. I feel that I can hold a company accountable if I'm paying for their product (or take my money elsewhere). 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

We will see how far this approach will take us in the upcoming weeks and months.

Currently we have paid Premium (not my name, but I take it) for a massive downgrade.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Currently we have paid Premium (not my name, but I take it) for a massive downgrade.

Only if you installed v10 software; I'm still running legacy on my Mac   
It's a great service and the legacy software runs well

• Like 1
  • Administrator
  • Solution

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this change. Please continue to share your thoughts/feedback here.

One thing I wanted to clarify is that you can still use 2 devices as a Basic subscription user, even if neither of those devices are web.

The change is that the Web Client is now counted as one of the devices.

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this change. Please continue to share your thoughts/feedback here.

One thing I wanted to clarify is that you can still use 2 devices as a Basic subscription user, even if neither of those devices are web.

The change is that the Web Client is now counted as one of the devices.

But what about this scenario:

- Android app

- Personal computer (Web app)

- Work computer (Web app)

Does this count as 3 devices?! If so, then I'm afraid I have to consider other alternatives to evernote

• Administrator

Hi @Nuno Saraiva

No, given your scenario, that would count as only two devices.

The Web Client is counted as 1 device, irrespective of the physical device or browser it's used on.

Hope this helps to clarify!

• Thanks 4
4 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi @Nuno Saraiva

No, given your scenario, that would count as only two devices.

The Web Client is counted as 1 device, irrespective of the physical device or browser it's used on.

Hope this helps to clarify!

Thanks for the feedback!

And I'm glad that at least this change won't affect my workflow,

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Timing probably is currently not the strongest side of EN (watching at their release policy).

But it seems they have just decided it is time now to earn some money. So if you loose 50% of all Basic accounts, what happens ? Well, nothing in terms of revenue, and probably very little in terms of customer attraction. Those who can do with the change will anyhow not upgrade, those who can’t will get lost, or be converted into a customer (= paying user). IMHO this is quite a non brainer, no problem with me.

For me @Dave-in-Decatur the much more relevant question is how many paying users will get lost over this update disaster. Sure, most will be on an annual subscription. But this means every month 1/12th of the Customer base is confronted with the question whether to stay or to move. I hope EN  gets its act together - I do not like the idea to continue to pay the same price for a degraded product when „my month“ is coming.

Well thought out, as usual, @PinkElephant. This change doesn't seem likely to cause too many people to start subscribing, especially if they also don't like v. 10 as it now is. But, as you say, since they're already not paying, Evernote does not lose anything financially.

My account renewal is not until next spring, and by then the situation should be greatly clarified. Meanwhile, I am at the point where I must finally move from Windows 7 to Win10 (and replace my old-but-still-reliable computer at the same time), and the it will be possible for me to install Evernote 10, if I choose, and join in the Oktoberschadenfest in earnest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, kolenkid said:

I tried different browsers on different computers, but I still get V5.33.0. It seems that Evernote is not giving everyone the same web-experience.

This does explain the lack of Reminders and Stacks. That's very strange, considering how long v. 10, and v. 6 before that, have been available on the Web. Since you have a Premium subscription, this might be worth taking up with support. They might be glad to get a question that isn't about the v. 10 desktop app!

• Haha 1
On 10/21/2020 at 11:49 PM, boydston said:

EN is a much more important productivity App compared to MS office - in my case 🙂

That‘ why I pay money to EN but not to MS.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

@Nuno Saraivaconsider to pay EN for your workflow?

No. I can't afford having that expense. That's why I asked about using multiple computers with the web app.

And I'm still worried about future changes that Evernote may have in the future. 

Limiting the free version will definitely make some users look for alternatives and they may even influence other users as well, so I don't see that as a good move from Evernote

• Level 5

It is the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee-to-go per month (at least in many places), so it can’t be important for you to use it.

In general it is a simple question: Giving away a service that internally cost money for free is nothing else than marketing expenses. You have to set 2 points to make these expenses pay for you in the long term: How long or under which conditions can you allow the use of the free service, and what is the conversion rate from free to paid that makes your marketing pay back in the end ?

If the Free service is too good, it will be used indefinitely, and will by „reverse conversion“ even drain the paid segment from which you make your living - and pay your marketing expenses. I am surprised that EN still allows an indefinite use of the basic accounts. I would probably limit it to 5 years, to allow every student in the world to use my service for free while on a shoestring, and then forcing them when entering professional life to decide to subscribe to continue, or to quit.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I am surprised that EN still allows an indefinite use of the basic accounts.

A lot of software companies I've spoken to over the last few years (consult work) are going for 30 day free trials instead of offering never ending free plans. It costs too much money. It used to be a cheap marketing tool but not really anymore.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It is the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee-to-go per month (at least in many places), so it can’t be important for you to use it.

In general it is a simple question: Giving away a service that internally cost money for free is nothing else than marketing expenses. You have to set 2 points to make these expenses pay for you in the long term: How long or under which conditions can you allow the use of the free service, and what is the conversion rate from free to paid that makes your marketing pay back in the end ?

If the Free service is too good, it will be used indefinitely, and will by „reverse conversion“ even drain the paid segment from which you make your living - and pay your marketing expenses. I am surprised that EN still allows an indefinite use of the basic accounts. I would probably limit it to 5 years, to allow every student in the world to use my service for free while on a shoestring, and then forcing them when entering professional life to decide to subscribe to continue, or to quit.

I agree with you. It's not important enough to justify the payment. At least for now.

However I have this workflow (again, not super important) and I wanted to know if I can still use Evernote free plan for this.

I would gladly pay for the service when its premium features justify my use cases :) like I do for my task manager

Either way, thanks for all your feedback!

• Like 3

Just catching up with the announcement, and for what it's worth adding my 2 cents (although at current "premium" plan pricing, it may take a while for 2 cents to add up).

I'm very much in the camp of "I like Evernote, but I don't really need it", and most of the "benefits" of premium aren't applicable to me (storage space? I only write text notes and maybe 5 images total across my entire collection). The only thing I would be paying for would be the additional devices, like when I have a new phone and still have overlap between the new and old device (or sometimes having a work phone + personal phone). This is especially an issue considering Evernote web (currently/historically) doesn't even work on a mobile device, so you have no way to quickly look something up on a phone unless the app is installed and a "license" consumed.

I would love a "plus" subscription, as I might be willing to pay around $15 a year for 3-4 total devices - but I appreciate the comment above by @eric99 that offering a lower priced option could mean people who currently pay would downgrade more than free users would upgrade. I get the business sense, I just wish there was some middle ground. C'est la vie!

I'm still not ready to pay ~$100 a year for a personal use note taking application, so I'll find a way to adjust to only 1 "additional" device. But I'm going to start seriously looking into how to back up all my notes and prepare for me inevitably getting kicked off this application in the coming year(s)...

It's been a fun ride, and I'm still happy to use the service and even recommend for what it is - but I'm a lot more wary about long-term sustainability for my "basic" needs.

Hi, Does it mean the 3rd party apps will be also affected?  I use EN on iPad and Macbook client only. Don't use web. So 2 clients total. However, On my iPad I also have 3rd party apps installed that do connect to Evernote. For one of the apps I have a subscription due so I am concerned whether I should renew the subscription or not. Are the iOS 3rd party clients going to be affected?  The subscription renewal is due tomorrow so I wanted to check here if anybody knows.  I don't want to renew it only to find I can't use the 3rd party apps due to the device limit. Some of the apps I have:

https://apps.apple.com/cz/app/everpost/id595116637

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/textever-quick-notes-for-evernote/id955342150

Thanks.

• Level 5

API access by other apps was not part of the limitation. Otherwise you would have been over the limit already.

Since the plans and their conditions is company policy, the free plan can change without notice. Only paying users are customers, and as such protected against rapid changes of conditions. EN did honor this in the past, like continuing the PLUS plan for existing users when it had expired for new users.

May be EN should stop offering free version altogether and offer paid version only?

Personally I think charging users for keeping notes is no longer a profitable business model - especially when there are many other alternatives available for free.

• Level 5

One reason there are free accounts is the sharing function. Sure, one can say send all people who receive a share to a web site. But if you share more often to somebody, or say build the communication of a small, temporary project group around EN sharing, it is much better to use the client to work with the shared information, and create some own to send it back.

It is a decision by EN management whether to offer a free model, and to define the limits of that use.

A real contract for the use of the service can only hold a user that is paying - this is what we call a customer, with a legally enforceable contract.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:55 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This does explain the lack of Reminders and Stacks. That's very strange, considering how long v. 10, and v. 6 before that, have been available on the Web. Since you have a Premium subscription, this might be worth taking up with support. They might be glad to get a question that isn't about the v. 10 desktop app!

It took a few weeks for Evernote to answer the question. But it turns out that Evernote only cares about new or 'light' users: "The web version is made available to our customers based on account usage. More specifically, the total number of note created on your account. The current cap is 10,000, which includes notes from shared notebooks, public notebooks, spaces, or those creates over the 12 years you've used Evernote." It's a realy strange way of treating your most loyal customers. I'm using Evernote since the beginning and I have more than 15.000 notes, so I don't get the new web-version.

13 minutes ago, kolenkid said:

It took a few weeks for Evernote to answer the question. But it turns out that Evernote only cares about new or 'light' users: "The web version is made available to our customers based on account usage. More specifically, the total number of note created on your account. The current cap is 10,000, which includes notes from shared notebooks, public notebooks, spaces, or those creates over the 12 years you've used Evernote." It's a realy strange way of treating your most loyal customers. I'm using Evernote since the beginning and I have more than 15.000 notes, so I don't get the new web-version.

That seems very odd. The max number of notes you can create on all plans (except business) is 100,000.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Evernote-system-limits

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, kolenkid said:

The web version is made available to our customers based on account usage. More specifically, the total number of note created on your account. The current cap is 10,000

Thanks for sharing that, my Basic account is running v10.3.1 and I wondered why my Premium account never updated

>>Evernote only cares about new or 'light' users

There is the cannon fodder concept but my guess is the new version still has problems with note volumes

Like all Evernote users we are fighting the supposedly 'improved' new versions : now we are informed that occasional use of someone else's laptop to access our data won't be possible as this will be classed as an additional user.

There's one hell of a difference between a few minutes use perhaps once a week and routine use from a Web interface.

Evernote continues to go down the route of deliberately making its program ever less attractive to its users !

Edited by PhilRSoT
Spelling mistake in post title
  • PhilRSoT changed the title to A kick in the teeth for free Evernote users !
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, PhilRSoT said:

Evernote continues to go down the route of deliberately making its program ever less attractive to its users !

...less attractive to those actively using the free service...?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, PhilRSoT said:

now we are informed that occasional use of someone else's laptop to access our data won't be possible as this will be classed as an additional user.

This would be Basic Subscription users are restricted to access using two devices.  Web access is now counted as a device

Your post has been merged with an ongoing discussion

• Level 5

What would happen if EN looses half of the current nonpaying users tomorrow ?

Probably nothing, in terms of economical impact. Just would need to polish the KPIs a little, instead of talking of millions of „users“ to tell one of these growth stories that the financial analysts seem to love.

Loosing 10% of the paying users probably would be an entirely different story.

On the other hand, since probably close to 90% of all users are non paying, restricting the free use makes perfectly sense. If only 1 or 2 out of 10 would upgrade to Premium instead of leaving, EN could DOUBLE the number of paying users.

From a company perspective it makes perfect sense to restrict the use of the free account in a way that forces anybody who seriously wants to use  the software and server infrastructure to start paying for it.

Who is on Basic must not like it - but I would prepare to make a decision one day about „up or out“.

• Like 1