Restore Custom Font Support

icurly

Idea

22 replies to this idea

6 minutes ago, AdamTheDesigner said:

I have not yet updated to v10. Am I understanding correctly that the Mac desktop app now limits you to 6 font choices? If so, can someone tell me what the fonts are? Thanks.

Hi Adam,

Yes- there are only 6 font choices- Serif, Slab Serif, San Serif, Monospace, Script and Handwritten. They are just generic fonts like on every other boring generic note app or browser. Ugh. SO disappointing ☹️. They are not awful fonts but VERY bare bones and basic.

I am a Graphic Designer and I have over 150,000 fonts. Not that I would activate or need that many choices all at once 🤣 but I should at least be able to select anything that is already activated in FontExplorer or Suitcase Fusion.

I mean I understand WHY Evernote did this- so the formatting would be the same across iPad, iPhone, Web, Desktop, etc. but I would never need my desktop fonts to necessarily match my iOS fonts. I work from home,  so I primate;y used Evernote Desktop. I look at the iOS Evernote iPhone & iPad Apps as a “viewing and making minor changes” Apps. Not for doing extensive work or collaborating.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Anybody who knows a little about typography, preinstalled fonts and what fonts cost when you need or buy one could have known.

Personally I think one should decide what to do with a note program like EN. It is not a page layouter, by no means. If one needs a reactive page design (to adapt a note flexibly to the device on which it is presented), embedded layout goes to hell and is replaced by a „theme“. This is practically what the v10 client does. The fonts are part of that „theme“ used to present the note, wherever opened. For this the new font selection is sufficient.

When I need a layouted page, I use my text program (Pages on my Mac, Libre Office on PC) and embed the document into the note. If I need a print design, I use a DTP program.

Totally agree, please bring back the preference window in general!!!! I m a med student and I rely on various fonts and text sizes to make words stand out so I can remember them in a pictorial way. Having them all in the same font frustrates me so much 

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, AdamTheDesigner said:

I have not yet updated to v10. Am I understanding correctly that the Mac desktop app now limits you to 6 font choices? If so, can someone tell me what the fonts are? Thanks.

835787843_ScreenShot2020-10-25at8_48_29PM.png.cee2b1e4b71206610cac88e964c9f8f7.png

• Like 1

From the other side of the coin....I left EN 4 years ago and one of the reasons was that my notes were very inconsistent between devices. I don't have time to micromanage my notes so when they launched the new app and standardised fonts, I thought great!

Love the new fonts and so far all looking good for me.

Just the other point of view...

I use Evernote everyday for work and home. I've just upgraded to Big Sur and the lack of font support in the desktop app is so disappointing. Please fix. Everything else about the new app is great but without custom fonts I might have to switch.

I am completely very very unhappy and cannot understand why Evernote would do this.  I use Evernote almost every day and I want to be able to use custom fonts.  The new version completely trashed my documents with a mix of old and new fonts.

I cannot believe that I am paying an annual fee for a product that is worth less than before.  I don't care about styles and titles and such.  I don't care about pretty green checkboxes.  I just want custom fonts.  I am going to try to roll back to an earlier version.

Please fix this.

6 fonts is not enough. In addition, not even the best ones were selected. A faceless middle-class of fonts.

But 6 fonts might be enough if they were. In fact, there are 6 fonts only in the Latin layout. In other cases it are far worse. Cyrillic fonts in Evernote are just awful. I wrote several feedbacks to Evernote, but they don't care at all (even though I pay them money) and I didn't get a single response.

And in general, I think that the forum was created so that people can express their dissatisfaction here. As you know, this helps to relieve tension, but does not help to solve the problem. I would be very surprised if this is not the case and Evernote will listen to opinions and adds and changes fonts.

With best wishes,

кракозябры 文字化け маймуница 乱码 ђубре Buchstabensalat krzaki Krähenfüße (Wiki)

I've just gone back to 7.14 because of the font issue. I don't need 1000 fonts, but I'd like at least one no-nonsense sans serif. I understand that Evernote did this because some users wanted the same look and feel across platforms. I'm fairly certain, though, that this wasn't the solution they were looking for.

I have rolled back to V6.25 on Windows 7 . No font, no reasonable selection of font color; these things are unacceptable. Evernote, you are already struggling to hold market share. Are you simply trying to shoot yourself in the foot?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Daniel Slosberg said:

I'd like at least one no-nonsense sans serif.

I'm not much of a font user, but see "sans serif" is one of the font choices

I'm not much of a font user, but see "sans serif" is one of the font choices

I should have been more specific. Yes, there's a "sans serif" font, but it's not exactly no-nonsense. I'd like something boring like Helvetica or Helvetica Neue, i.e., a font that doesn't call attention to itself as a font. And Script and Handwritten -- do people really use those?