Restore Custom Font Support

icurly
Go to solution Solved by Theday1smine,

Idea

82 replies to this idea

• Solution
13 hours ago, icurly said:

Question- how do you enter fonts manually in the web inspector?

Hey @icurly

Pink Elephant is wrong.  It has nothing to do with anything being a "new client generation."  

You just need to do it in a browser, and, based on your comment, of CMD + OPTION + I not working, I bet you're using safari.

To be able to pull up the inspector in Safari, go to preferences, then select the advanced tab, then hit the box at the very bottom that says "Show Develop Menu In Menu Bar"

SHOT@2x.thumb.png.a25223c3a9e9a0deb6da2f907dd73a56.png

Once that's done, go to the menu bar click 'DEVELOP', then click 'show web inspector' in the list, like in the pic. (Mine says "connect web inspector" yours will say "show". Hit it.

SHOT@2x.thumb.png.cd50826345111192f20acab52a551e51.png

Then you should see something like this:

SHOT@2x.thumb.png.1e90cda5e8c882c85be5e8f2f7d73d8f.png

(It may be on the left side or right side of your screen.  Regardless, next step...)

Go to the bottom where it says New Editor, click it, then click classic editor.

SHOT@2x.thumb.png.af96085bd5f98c67c3e4cd385ae9f5df.png

After that, select the text you want to change the font on, right click it to pull up the menu, then click "Inspect element" near the bottom of the menu.

SHOT@2x.thumb.png.045adea84dd66824468efbe409105df2.png

Okay, now, after you do that, in the inspector, the very right column is going to change. The very top section of that column will show you the inline styles that are applied to the text you just inspected.

You'll see something like this:

SHOT@2x.thumb.png.020d3936bf61ec6355c167b568e979ad.png

Now, all you have to do is enter the font-family you want to change your text to, at the bottom of that box.Like this:

SHOT@2x.png.389e10c7bed463229e7a14ec2aed4c0d.thumb.png.0676c0638fbe765b0ccbb2fd7a547060.png

I added "font-family: Superclarendon" to the last line in the top box.

The font I inspected changed in the editor to that font.

Switch back to the New Editor and you're all set!  Again, not all fonts work. The fonts in the list I shared are the ones that work for me.  Not sure if those work on windows. 

6 minutes ago, AdamTheDesigner said:

I have not yet updated to v10. Am I understanding correctly that the Mac desktop app now limits you to 6 font choices? If so, can someone tell me what the fonts are? Thanks.

Hi Adam,

Yes- there are only 6 font choices- Serif, Slab Serif, San Serif, Monospace, Script and Handwritten. They are just generic fonts like on every other boring generic note app or browser. Ugh. SO disappointing ☹️. They are not awful fonts but VERY bare bones and basic.

I am a Graphic Designer and I have over 150,000 fonts. Not that I would activate or need that many choices all at once 🤣 but I should at least be able to select anything that is already activated in FontExplorer or Suitcase Fusion.

I mean I understand WHY Evernote did this- so the formatting would be the same across iPad, iPhone, Web, Desktop, etc. but I would never need my desktop fonts to necessarily match my iOS fonts. I work from home,  so I primate;y used Evernote Desktop. I look at the iOS Evernote iPhone & iPad Apps as a “viewing and making minor changes” Apps. Not for doing extensive work or collaborating.

• Like 1

Do bring back the Show Fonts function, please.

6 fonts are quite limited for Asian languages. Unlike English letters, Chinese characters 漢字 look all the same in these 6 fonts. There's actually no font option for Chinese or Japanese text.

Fonts are essential to me. I'm considering canceling my Premium subscription and looking for another option.

PLEASE restore custom font selection!

I have 4300 notes in EN, many with such customized fonts (and colors) as the previous versions of EV provided.

Without that functionality, I'm not sure what EN has to justify using it instead of say, Apple's NOTES app.

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro, which came with MacOS Catalina. When I installed a new copy of EN, I had mixed reactions. Some were: I don't like the looks of this: it wastes space, and doesn't let me adjust windows as relevant to operations. But oh good, finally SEARCH and REPLACE! That's nice. BUT what's this with the FONTS??

Who uses Handwritten or Script? It's not 1988!  And I was truly dismayed to find that there was no adjustable fonts menu!ND no CONTEXT! Another feature I found necessary to dealing with >4 kilonotes.

ETC., others have spelled out the problems... PLEASE FIX!!

WORKAROUNDS? Aside from adjustment to Web version which I believe is going to disappear soon?

I was happy for years with V7.2.3! Still am. But does it work on MacOS 15+? Catalina or Big Sur? Does anybody know?

Thanks

Ned

• Like 1

6 fonts is not enough. In addition, not even the best ones were selected. A faceless middle-class of fonts.

But 6 fonts might be enough if they were. In fact, there are 6 fonts only in the Latin layout. In other cases it are far worse. Cyrillic fonts in Evernote are just awful. I wrote several feedbacks to Evernote, but they don't care at all (even though I pay them money) and I didn't get a single response.

And in general, I think that the forum was created so that people can express their dissatisfaction here. As you know, this helps to relieve tension, but does not help to solve the problem. I would be very surprised if this is not the case and Evernote will listen to opinions and adds and changes fonts.

With best wishes,

кракозябры 文字化け маймуница 乱码 ђубре Buchstabensalat krzaki Krähenfüße (Wiki)

• Level 5

Anybody who knows a little about typography, preinstalled fonts and what fonts cost when you need or buy one could have known.

Personally I think one should decide what to do with a note program like EN. It is not a page layouter, by no means. If one needs a reactive page design (to adapt a note flexibly to the device on which it is presented), embedded layout goes to hell and is replaced by a „theme“. This is practically what the v10 client does. The fonts are part of that „theme“ used to present the note, wherever opened. For this the new font selection is sufficient.

When I need a layouted page, I use my text program (Pages on my Mac, Libre Office on PC) and embed the document into the note. If I need a print design, I use a DTP program.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 11/28/2020 at 2:37 PM, Daniel Slosberg said:

And Script and Handwritten -- do people really use those? 

Lol.  Now that is one heck of a question.  Seriously!

Who in the heck actually uses the curly-cue calligraphy script—let alone the handwritten script?  Anyone?

Like isn't that what drawings are for?... 

Nice point.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2020 at 3:27 AM, Theday1smine said:

Lol.  Now that is one heck of a question.  Seriously!

Who in the heck actually uses the curly-cue calligraphy script—let alone the handwritten script?  Anyone?

Like isn't that what drawings are for?... 

Nice point.

Yea, exactly. At this point as I use Evernote for EVERYTHING. I sent them feedback telling them I will be ending my paid sub if they don't bring back the ability to add custom fonts. I am beyond infuriated that they had the nerve to remove this option. I am so sick and tired of some members (won't mention names until I have to) on here making it seem like it is just fine that this happened. They are only fine with it because they don't use the option. Nobody is asking to have Evernote change the preinstalled fonts - we are asking for the option to add the font we want to use. We don't care about this cross platform synching. We want to use a damn font that we want to use. 

• Like 3
On 12/12/2020 at 8:04 PM, icurly said:

Yep! I am a font loving frickler 🤣. But in all seriousness, there are actually more than a few people upset by this. This update effects a lot of people and NOT in a good way. Everyone uses Evernote for different purposes and you can’t please everyone...

Yea, exactly. At this point as I use Evernote for EVERYTHING. I sent them feedback telling them I will be ending my paid sub if they don't bring back the ability to add custom fonts. I am beyond infuriated that they had the nerve to remove this option. I am so sick and tired of some members (won't mention names until I have to) on here making it seem like it is just fine that this happened. They are only fine with it because they don't use the option. Nobody is asking to have Evernote change the preinstalled fonts - we are asking for the option to add the font we want to use. We don't care about this cross platform synching. We want to use a damn font that we want to use. 

• Like 1

I agree. EN could have it as a preference, i.e. cross-platform fonts on or off. Seems easy.

There appears to be an assumption that EN users are stupid and can't be trusted to make that choice. EN tells me they made the choice for me because I asked to have my notes look the same across platforms. But I never asked for that. I presume that many others didn't ask for it either, but EN tells us that we did. 

Most recently, EN told me that I wanted to know what was going on behind the scenes. So they're making videos to show me. But I never asked for that either. I don't want videos. I want a product that does what it used to do so well.

The EN folks ought to read Mark Hurst's Customers Included.

• Like 1

Same frustration from me.  PLEASE restore the custom font selection!

I have used EN for more than 10 years, just upgraded recently to 10.15, and it is horrible and is shocked to know about EN now restrict us to use a fixed font list.  (It's funny that the web editor I am using to type this reply provides more fonts (and more usable ones) than the EN provides).

Many of my notes were edited continuously over many years, and with the new EN it means my notes now has mixed fonts (old + new) in there, which make it hard to read, not to mention some of the fixed fonts picked by EN are bad (e.g. the bulky monospace).

I think there are more than enough customers who complained about this here.  PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

Totally agree, please bring back the preference window in general!!!! I m a med student and I rely on various fonts and text sizes to make words stand out so I can remember them in a pictorial way. Having them all in the same font frustrates me so much 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, AdamTheDesigner said:

I have not yet updated to v10. Am I understanding correctly that the Mac desktop app now limits you to 6 font choices? If so, can someone tell me what the fonts are? Thanks.

835787843_ScreenShot2020-10-25at8_48_29PM.png.cee2b1e4b71206610cac88e964c9f8f7.png

• Like 1

From the other side of the coin....I left EN 4 years ago and one of the reasons was that my notes were very inconsistent between devices. I don't have time to micromanage my notes so when they launched the new app and standardised fonts, I thought great!

Love the new fonts and so far all looking good for me.

Just the other point of view...

I use Evernote everyday for work and home. I've just upgraded to Big Sur and the lack of font support in the desktop app is so disappointing. Please fix. Everything else about the new app is great but without custom fonts I might have to switch.

I am completely very very unhappy and cannot understand why Evernote would do this.  I use Evernote almost every day and I want to be able to use custom fonts.  The new version completely trashed my documents with a mix of old and new fonts.

I cannot believe that I am paying an annual fee for a product that is worth less than before.  I don't care about styles and titles and such.  I don't care about pretty green checkboxes.  I just want custom fonts.  I am going to try to roll back to an earlier version.

Please fix this.

• Like 1

I've just gone back to 7.14 because of the font issue. I don't need 1000 fonts, but I'd like at least one no-nonsense sans serif. I understand that Evernote did this because some users wanted the same look and feel across platforms. I'm fairly certain, though, that this wasn't the solution they were looking for.

I have rolled back to V6.25 on Windows 7 . No font, no reasonable selection of font color; these things are unacceptable. Evernote, you are already struggling to hold market share. Are you simply trying to shoot yourself in the foot?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Daniel Slosberg said:

I'd like at least one no-nonsense sans serif.

I'm not much of a font user, but see "sans serif" is one of the font choices

I'm not much of a font user, but see "sans serif" is one of the font choices

I should have been more specific. Yes, there's a "sans serif" font, but it's not exactly no-nonsense. I'd like something boring like Helvetica or Helvetica Neue, i.e., a font that doesn't call attention to itself as a font. And Script and Handwritten -- do people really use those? 

Me too - very not happy about the limited fonts in this version.  Please bring back my ability to use whatever fonts I have!

Use Case:   I use Evernote for a variety of templates with different kind of work - planning, writing, etc.   Each one I have set up with specific fonts to help me settle into the "mindset" I want for that task.  Taking away my fonts is very frustrating and inhibits my processes!  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can have free font selection one each client (not compatible between operation systems), or you can have notes that look alike on all devices, independent from the OS they are running.

To have the same look & feel on all clients was one of the major user wishes here in the forum for a long time. EN decided to implement it. Now that is what we got, like it or not. At least your templates will not change when you switch between desktop and mobile, for example.

The "unified" fonts are pretty much rooted in the new editor, and I doubt this will be changed again.

To have the same look & feel on all clients was one of the major user wishes here in the forum for a long time. 

It would be interesting to know if EN's implementation -- i.e., a choice of six fonts, none of which are standard, two of which are fonts that many users wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole -- is what the requesters were looking for.

You know how showers vary so much from bathroom to bathroom (at least here in the U.S.A.), and it's often hard to figure out how an unfamiliar one works? Settling on those six fonts is like home builders deciding to standardize bathrooms by replacing every shower with a watering can.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

What is for you a standard font ?

• Those installed on a Mac ? Not licensed under Windows and Android.
  • Those installed with Windows ? Not licensed under Mac/iOS and Android.
  • Those installed with Android ? ... you know the answer.

Most people do not acknowledge that fonts are not free to use - they come with the OS installed on their computers, but the are under a license. If you grab fonts from aWindows computer and install them on a Mac, you are legally committing an intellectual property theft. Keep calm, nobody will probably sue you for it.

But a company like EN can’t handle it like this. There are no „Standard“ fonts that work on all computers and mobiles. So nothing to „bring back“. Instead EN has installed a set of fonts inside of their client. By this notes will be shown with the same set of fonts, wherever opened.

I can understand the need for consistency across devices but the limited font set is a poor solution. It’s like going back to the year 1995.  

I would think that most people who create documents expect to be able to control the fonts they’re using or st least have a wide selection of fonts to use.  

As a paid subscriber, I expect EN to support a broader set of fonts.  Even if fonts cost money on each platform where they’re used, I would think that they could custom-develop more than six fonts.   

I wonder if EN could leverage universal web fonts that are available on all platforms such as those on this article?  After all, EN seems to use some CSS elements (true?). I realize that standard availability is not the same as standard appearance.

https://blog.hubspot.com/website/web-safe-html-css-fonts

Another option would be to enable users to purchase custom fonts.

Finally, it would go a long way if EN were to actually share a roadmap of what we can expect.  I’m sure they will continue to improve things but I’m not clear what those things will be.

• Level 5

Did you know that web fonts (like Google fonts) are used for tracking you on the internet ?

Not a good idea ...

Maybe EN thinks to get more fonts installed on the client one day - though I would not count on it. If you need a neatly layouted document, use a word processor or a page layout program, and embed the document into the EN note.

Thanks Pink. I didn’t know the web fonts were used for tracking so that’s probably not a good idea.

Nonetheless at the end of the day Evernote is a text editor and a text editor should give you the ability to format a document the way that you would like. If I wanted to attach documents I would just create documents and keep them in Mac Files instead and not use Evernote at all.  

At the end of the day I think there Hass to be a way that the very smart people at Evernote can figure out how to have more than six fonts to their program so that people can customize their documents and have them look consistent across platforms.  

I think we can agree to disagree on this.  It seems like you fall into the camp that consistency is more important than appearance. That’s fine.

But I believe that it should be possible to both have well formatted and attractive documents (with multiple fonts) that are also consistent across all platforms. I just don’t think that’s unreasonable. 

On 12/8/2020 at 5:32 PM, Theday1smine said:

There are more fonts available in the new v10 editor than in the list.

You just have to manually enter them via the web inspector.  

These are the one's I've found to work, and render accross desktop & Ios.  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s385/sh/4557f2eb-b795-39cf-2b9c-7e0615fe1bd1/d6c44bbc16b7f7f7cae3382a965f59a4

I use Evernote Plus on a Mac. How can I access the web inspector? I could not find it anywhere. Thanks. 

• Level 5

The method is called browser fingerprinting. When you open a web site, a TON of information about your browser and computer is transmitted, in the background. Officially it is done to adapt the delivered content to your individual setup. But it is used as well to identify you !

If you want to check, here is one link that does it, and explains in detail (below your test result) how individual which setting of your browser is.

https://coveryourtracks.eff.org

In my case (I run pretty tough security that makes me hard to track) the only really individual mark was my combination of 179 installed fonts. This combination was unique among more than 2 million browsers tested.

Since I need a bunch of fonts for DTP, my only chance to avoid this fingerprint being spread on the web all over is to use a secure browser. Safari and Brave are pretty good, as well Firefox with some plugins.

And forget about ANY privacy while using Chrome !

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The method is called browser fingerprinting. When you open a web site, a TON of information about your browser and computer is transmitted, in the background. Officially it is done to adapt the delivered content to your individual setup. But it is used as well to identify you !

If you want to check, here is one link that does it, and explains in detail (below your test result) how individual which setting of your browser is.

https://coveryourtracks.eff.org

In my case (I run pretty tough security that makes me hard to track) the only really individual mark was my combination of 179 installed fonts. This combination was unique among more than 2 million browsers tested.

Since I need a bunch of fonts for DTP, my only chance to avoid this fingerprint being spread on the web all over is to use a secure browser. Safari and Brave are pretty good, as well Firefox with some plugins.

And forget about ANY privacy while using Chrome !

Thanks Pink.  So is web inspector only available in a web browser?  It's not part of Evernote itself?

Thanks to you I learned about Fingerprinting and I would agree it's something we need to be wary of and avoid.

I just downloaded the new Evernote for Mac and I completely regret it.  I hate the font changes - I hate all of the default fonts.  I didn't use any custom fonts but the ones that had been included were WAY better than these 6 awful fonts.  I don't even enjoy looking at what I'm typing anymore.

PLUS... it has completely removed the formatting in my notes so now the bullets are missing.  A terrible terrible update.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Theday1smine said:

There are more fonts available in the new v10 editor than in the list.

You just have to manually enter them via the web inspector.  

These are the one's I've found to work, and render accross desktop & Ios.  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s385/sh/4557f2eb-b795-39cf-2b9c-7e0615fe1bd1/d6c44bbc16b7f7f7cae3382a965f59a4

Hi T,

Question- how do you enter fonts manually in the web inspector? When I am in Evernote Web (Mac) and I select "CMD + OPTION + I"   A tiny pop-up window appears like this. That is it! Obviously I am doing something wrong. I am not familiar with the Evernote Web App as much, I usually access Evernote though Mac Desktop and my iPad.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 11.08.34 AM.png

• Level 5

Simple answer: With the new client generation, you can’t.

It is font selection based on what is installed on an individual computer vs. notes that show the same on all devices.

EN decided (based on many user asking for it in the past) to go for a unified experience on all devices. Thus a small number of fonts preinstalled into the app, and that is it.

If you need Layout control, use a word processor or a page layout program, and attach the document to a note.

Hi Pink,

I understand there are "work arounds" but I don't want to use a layout program. I am a Graphic Designer and already have a ton of page layout programs. Evernote WAS great because I was able to create all of my personal notes in ONE program and I had complete control of fonts, colors, layout, etc. without resorting text boxes, "stylized pages", etc.

With Evernote's latest update, Evernote is just like every other boring "preset" note program (ie. Apple Notes, etc.) Having control of my fonts, colors, layout, etc. was what made me choose Evernote. I don't want all of my notes to look exactly the same. I've been with Evernote (Premium Member) since 2011 and I am considering switching/downgrading. It's not worth the $$ if I can't get my notes to look the way I want.

I had hundreds of notes and now they are all fuc*ed up. The formatting, sizing, layout is a complete mess. I've spent HOURS on these notes. This is a HUGE problem and disappointment.

Evernote's latest update is perfect if you want NO control of fonts, sizing, colors and you want it to look exactly the same across iPad, iPhone, Desktop, etc. Ugh 🙁

• Level 5

Don’t that this now too serious: You font-loving fricklers now had your go for 10yrs +, with broken notes for the rest of us when we switched between devices. Now it is our turn, with nicely set notes independent from the device, all looking the SAME, like it or not. Let‘s say to make it fair - for the next 10 years ?!

Serious: I understand your problem, especially after probably investing a lot of time and effort into a nice layout of your native notes. Probably you are what EN CEO calls their power user base. If you read it carefully, he states that he is after growing the user base (especially those who pay) instead of digging deeper into pleasing those chosen few. So I would rather expect a selection of some cute kitty note stickers for the future than the return of custom fonts.

Just my 5 ct ...

Yep! I am a font loving frickler 🤣. But in all seriousness, there are actually more than a few people upset by this. This update effects a lot of people and NOT in a good way. Everyone uses Evernote for different purposes and you can’t please everyone...

• Like 1

Awesome! Thank you SO much for this! I was using Safari and I did not have the developer tools open. I will definitely give this a try. Who, knows- maybe some of my favorites can be resurrected! Thank you again for the detailed walk-thu. I REALLY appreciate it! 🙂

I began using Evernote after a journalist I respect mentioned that he uses EN for EVERYTHING too. That was a number of years ago. On a recent podcast, he explained why he's moving from EN to OneNote.

My EN subscription runs out next month. Given what I heard from him and what I've read about OneNote, I have a feeling I'll be following him over there. Six crappy fonts? Oof.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, SteveFromNewton said:

The one saving grace is that you can still use the legacy version with all of the old fonts.  I sketched to legacy and it’s working well.  

I went back to the legacy one for a couple days, but got worried when I saw it wouldn't be updated anymore. Any idea how long we have before that happens?

• Level 5

Legacy is end-of-life. No more updates.

We will probably one day receive a message that it will be switched off, and we have x time (I think something like 6 month or longer) to move over to the new client. My hope is that until then the new client will have sufficiently matured to support all of my use cases.

Some Features will not be supported on the new client (look at the initial v10 release notes for your OS on the EN help site). If you rely on one of them, you need another solution.

I always read the release notes before upgrading to a new version, and I never saw anything about custom font selection being eradicated from the Mac OS version of the app. Smart not to mention it, EN DEV TEAM, because if you had, I never would have wasted my time downloading and installing 10.8.5, which has changed the look of all my notes to a uniform generic look I had no say in or control over. And best of all (NOT!) there isn't even a preference for applying a specific font as the default "Sans serif" option. I'm completely floored by this random act of cruelty. If you're going to handcuff us to the Evernote One-Size-Must-Fit-All option, at least be up front about it and offer some rationale for this radical rollout in the release notes. You continue to not be trustworthy, and changing the appearance of everything I've written in the last nine years is tantamount to breaking into my home and painting the walls ecru. Could you just once consider the consequences of your late-night brainstorming sessions before rolling them out to your unsuspecting subscribers?! 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Amystoneus said:

I always read the release notes before upgrading to a new version, and I never saw anything about custom font selection being eradicated from the Mac OS version of the app. Smart not to mention it, EN DEV TEAM, because if you had, I never would have wasted my time downloading and installing 10.8.5, which has changed the look of all my notes to a uniform generic look I had no say in or control over. And best of all (NOT!) there isn't even a preference for applying a specific font as the default "Sans serif" option. I'm completely floored by this random act of cruelty. If you're going to handcuff us to the Evernote One-Size-Must-Fit-All option, at least be up front about it and offer some rationale for this radical rollout in the release notes. You continue to not be trustworthy, and changing the appearance of everything I've written in the last nine years is tantamount to breaking into my home and painting the walls ecru. Could you just once consider the consequences of your late-night brainstorming sessions before rolling them out to your unsuspecting subscribers?! 

Well, I never knew about the release notes, and still this bothers me to NO END, but there is literally no better app out there that does what EN does, so as disappointing as it is to not have custom fonts - I now renewed my Premium membership. Let's keep hoping for integration in a later version! I have written them 3 times now about it and of course there was no reply. The 'handwritten & script fonts can go right to hell in the fastest hand basket ever made! At least add some of the classics like Arial and Times New Roman! Are you going to go back to the legacy version? You can (if you didn't know), but I won't because I don't want to risk any of my notes (all 798 of them) getting compromised if there aren't any updates in legacy. 

4 hours ago, Amystoneus said:

Hmm and for some reason my profile here refuses to update to say Premium when Plus doesn't even exist any longer. 

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Then better read it again ...

Screenshot right from the Mac-Version release notes:

C57E48F2-F0B5-4A43-874D-6067B8A2ED78.thumb.jpeg.8712f42e2b1734be27b04feabc65c224.jpeg

Okay, I saw that, but apparently I applied my own interpretation to that, since all my notes already pretty much looked the same in my preferred font. I didn’t read that as: “Say goodbye to font selection and defer to our developers who have made the choice for you.” I thought fonts would still be selectable, just as a reduced selection of standardized choices. Not NONE. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Amystoneus said:

I thought fonts would still be selectable, just as a reduced selection of standardized choices. Not NONE. 

1 hour ago, SteveFromNewton said:

I’m with Amys- no way would I assume that meant that they were taking away custom fonts.  

I read "as a reduced selection of standardized choices" and that's what we got2036544057_ScreenShot2021-02-26at21_13_44.png.141db0748d345c8196cba0f275a42f1c.png 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, SteveFromNewton said:

Oh Pink, you will stick up for EN to the end and it is so monotonous.  I’m with Amys- no way would I assume that meant that they were taking away custom fonts.  

In which world are you living ? Every day you receive communication like this - just take a look at the advertisements flooding our day to day life.

Maybe you need to buy a dictionary „Marketing speech and what it really means !“.

What do you believe any company will communicate in this case ? „We will make notes look alike on all platforms, and to do this we remove your choice of fonts ?“. People who put facts like this in words like we find in release notes were already selling snake oil to our ancestors.

Probably at that time there were some angry snake oil buyers as well.

• Like 1

I mean, seriously. It DOES NOT matter what we use for personal use within our notes! Custom font integration should be an option. EN can still achieve making notes look whatever way they want by you selecting one of the preinstalled fonts. If we want to use something else and risk it not looking like the same across all platforms - that's our problem. Like I have mentioned in other posts as well as this one. I am CONSTANTLY having to create layouts, notes, articles, etc with different fonts. This is a huge let down for someone in the design field. Pink Elephant need not reply. I don't need to hear that I should be using a different app. Evernote is the app I need for all my needs. 

• Like 3

And this situation, right here, is the final straw and the reason why I am now migrating off the previously excellent Evernote. I'm spending more time fixing fonts, resolving data conflicts, and waiting for the spinning ball for synchronisation, than actually getting value from EN.

14 hours ago, CuriousMan said:

And this situation, right here, is the final straw and the reason why I am now migrating off the previously excellent Evernote. I'm spending more time fixing fonts, resolving data conflicts, and waiting for the spinning ball for synchronisation, than actually getting value from EN.

What are you migrating to?

• Like 1

this font restriction is total nonsense. And it is not just the font itself but the ability to change line height like literally every other basic application. With this Evernote now I have to scroll to see half of the page which is fully visible on screen in an other application open next to it. This is getting worse every time, honestly.. Like deliberately trying to look for ways to make the experience worse.. I think after 10years or so its time to drop this thing.. The only feature made me keept it for so long is the effortless OCR of attached PDFs and bits, but I'm getting annoyed every time I open this app lately.. it even makes me complain.. yay..

Talked to support today as this is still bugging me...

"We haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team."

Being three years, I assume it's not going to happen

• Level 5

I assume you assume correctly.

Many users don’t understand that fonts are not a free commodity. A note created with a font installed by Windows will look differently when opened on a Mac. Windows fonts are not available on the Mac, and will be replaced.

Only the method EN uses by bringing their own fonts along assure a unified font experience across all clients.