• 127

Idea

What about for mac users? I can't find any way to do a find-and-replace on a Mac.

Edited by jefito
Mac content split from Windows-specific topic
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

246 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
3 minutes ago, PaoloAltobas said:

So many repeated requests and not even the courtesy of an explanation.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 hours ago, DTLow said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting

 

DTLow - Thank you. Sorry. Even more embarrassing, I follow this thread and have posted to it before. Mindless expression of exasperation. Thank you for your contributions.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Here we are. 4 years after this discussion opened, find and replace - a basic functionality is still missing on Evernote Mac.

Could it be that they are not a viable business any more and in maintenance mode?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
19 hours ago, Atrius said:

Could it be that they are not a viable business any more and in maintenance mode?

My opinion is that Evernote believes there are more important projects for the developers,
however if you really believed that Why are you interested in this product?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I found a workaround:

- Copy into Microsoft Word

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word, because really, this is just sad

(I'm a premium Evernote user, been using it for years, and I'm sure I will keep using it, but come on guys.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 7/1/2017 at 4:41 PM, Paferg said:

I found a workaround:

- Copy into Microsoft Word

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word, because really, this is just sad

(I'm a premium Evernote user, been using it for years, and I'm sure I will keep using it, but come on guys.)

Don't hold your breath. After 4 years, you would think that this 'easy to implement' functionality would be available for Mac users. Worst support team ever!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-07-01 at 오후 1시 41분, Paferg said:

I found a workaround:

- Copy into Microsoft Word

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word

This would be my approach, store the document as an attachment to the note
Generally, I use the Evernote editor for short notes and dedicated apps for more serious work

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Another vote for find and replace - I've been a premium user for years. It's a simple update and needs to be implemented - copy and pasting into other apps is just not acceptable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-09-05 at 6:47 PM, godsoloved24 said:

I'm perfectly happy to find alternatives to your service

So far Evernote hasn't indicated this is a priority for development.  So good bye and good luck.

For myself, I'm still happy using Evernote as my digital file.   Find&Replace is not a feature I require for simple notes

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For myself, I'm happy using Evernote as my digital file.  This is not a feature I require for notes

Well, I'm glad you're happy with what you have.

Many of us, including myself, use Evernote for a variety of purposes.  I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.  I do believe that Find and Replace is in every other text editor I know of, certainly in all that I use.

  • Often I will capture a web page that I need to replace all of a certain term with another term.
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes for friends to use
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes as user guides.
  • and more.

I'm not leaving because Evernote doesn't have F&R, but it sure would be very, very useful if it did.

Just my 2¢.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Well, I'm glad you're happy with what you have.

Many of us, including myself, use Evernote for a variety of purposes.  I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.  I do believe that Find and Replace is in every other text editor I know of, certainly in all that I use.

  • Often I will capture a web page that I need to replace all of a certain term with another term.
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes for friends to use
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes as user guides.
  • and more.

I'm not leaving because Evernote doesn't have F&R, but it sure would be very, very useful if it did.

Just my 2¢.

Ditto that, so make it 4¢

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Just for the record, I switched to Apple Notes. All my notes could be imported. Yes, it not cross-platform. But it does the job well and has basic editing features that I need to write notes. Plus the interface is simple and looks nice. 

Highly suggest others do the same.  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
11 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.

Same for me; I find the editor adequate for simple notes, but for more serious work, I switch out to dedicated apps like word processing or spreadsheet apps

Its not just find&replace; I also need extended features like styles, tables, outlines, ...

I encourage all users to make use of alternate editors and not be restricted by the limitations of the Evernote editor

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 26/01/2017 at 4:58 AM, amanda_h said:

As a support team, we always welcome feedback and requests for features, and pass these along to the development and management teams. We understand Find & Replace is a feature a lot of users want, and our development team is aware of this as well. While the dev team doesn't always have time to reply to feature request threads, your votes do have an impact on what they discuss for future implementation. However, feature requests are just that, requests. We do not promise to add requested features.

The Customer Support team does not have the ability to give you additional information behind why the development team has not implemented this as a feature, because we don't work behind the scenes to understand exactly what kind of manpower is needed to do so. We also do not share our timeline for the release of future feature additions.

How nice of you to reply. Except that apart from the flowery words and the obviously carefully treaded wordings to avoid any responsibilities or liabilities, you have shown two things essentially.

1. This forum, the ticket system, that was designed and managed by your department, does not communicate with the Engineering dept. Communication implies 2 ways communication, but from your flowery language, such is not the case. You are nothing but a pretty faced receptionists who takes messages and relay them to their mailboxes, who may or may not read them.

2.  Due to the typographical difference of your departments, your department is essentially unable to speak for the brand in any developmental capacity, nor speaking for the Engineering department, nor authorized in answering any technical questions, nor providing time tables toward any particular developmental goals. Thus explaining the robotic polite response template as we have read over the past few years. (English isn't my first language, is it true that Americans call this as "blowing off someone", or "jerking someone off"?)

Furthermore, through my observations/:

3. The issue has been raised from this thread since August 2013, which is over 4 years ago. And during this time, we have seen many changes in EverNote, both minor cosmetic changes, and major architectural changes alike. But it has been ignored or continued to be considered a lower priority. Then it would be quite fair to assume that any thing is considered higher priority than fulfilling this feature request, for an indefinite future. Which is another way of saying, it is unlikely that it will ever happen.

4. The complexity of EverNote is minuscule compared to Quantum Mechanics or engineering marvels like the LHC, I hope you have at least the sincerity to admitting to that. Despite such simplicity, a company with nearly 200 staff, owning a building tower of your own, owning as much resources as you have had yet in 4 years, you are incapable of fulfilling this feature request? Not even to acknowledge EverNote has this deficiency? Not even to provide a time table of when it will happen? When any one have come to realise this fact, one must dawn upon the truth by seeing the true colors of the company and culture you represent. It was never about developing a useful tool to meet the user's needs, but rather about how users and the naive are used to fuel the elephantine ego and to serve every whims of the white elephant god.

Conclusion:

I have subscribed to membership with Ulysses today, somehow I find the butterfly cult more accommodating and loving.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 9/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, kiddo said:

@Kiddo , I could not have said it better myself!  I do *not* remember any editors that did not have find and replace.  I have worked on UNIX Release 6, which did not have any screen editors .  They had ed , with  find and replace, using regular expressions no less!!!!  Even EDLIN on msdos had search and replace.

There are a couple of work arounds.  One is to install Wine on your MAC and install the Windows version.  The Windows version does have find and replace but apparently Macs are poor relations in this scenario.

I have an idea! How about laying off  the entire Mac team and hiring a new team to port the Windows version?  I would include some Evernote executives in the layoffs as well.

 

On 9/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, kiddo said:

How nice of you to reply. Except that apart from the flowery words and the obviously carefully treaded wordings to avoid any responsibilities or liabilities, you have shown two things essentially.

1. This forum, the ticket system, that was designed and managed by your department, does not communicate with the Engineering dept. Communication implies 2 ways communication, but from your flowery language, such is not the case. You are nothing but a pretty faced receptionists who takes messages and relay them to their mailboxes, who may or may not read them.

2.  Due to the typographical difference of your departments, your department is essentially unable to speak for the brand in any developmental capacity, nor speaking for the Engineering department, nor authorized in answering any technical questions, nor providing time tables toward any particular developmental goals. Thus explaining the robotic polite response template as we have read over the past few years. (English isn't my first language, is it true that Americans call this as "blowing off someone", or "jerking someone off"?)

Furthermore, through my observations/:

3. The issue has been raised from this thread since August 2013, which is over 4 years ago. And during this time, we have seen many changes in EverNote, both minor cosmetic changes, and major architectural changes alike. But it has been ignored or continued to be considered a lower priority. Then it would be quite fair to assume that any thing is considered higher priority than fulfilling this feature request, for an indefinite future. Which is another way of saying, it is unlikely that it will ever happen.

4. The complexity of EverNote is minuscule compared to Quantum Mechanics or engineering marvels like the LHC, I hope you have at least the sincerity to admitting to that. Despite such simplicity, a company with nearly 200 staff, owning a building tower of your own, owning as much resources as you have had yet in 4 years, you are incapable of fulfilling this feature request? Not even to acknowledge EverNote has this deficiency? Not even to provide a time table of when it will happen? When any one have come to realise this fact, one must dawn upon the truth by seeing the true colors of the company and culture you represent. It was never about developing a useful tool to meet the user's needs, but rather about how users and the naive are used to fuel the elephantine ego and to serve every whims of the white elephant god.

Conclusion:

I have subscribed to membership with Ulysses today, somehow I find the butterfly cult more accommodating and loving.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/26/2017 at 7:03 AM, cameronreilly said:

Anyway, I found the instructions for the textedit hack that someone mentioned in this thread a few years ago (in case anyone else wants to try it). Works well, I just tested it. Maintains formatting, embedded images, etc.

Would you mind pointing us to the exact steps to use this?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
18 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Would you mind pointing us to the exact steps to use this?

Thanks.

CMD-A the text of the note you want to edit.

Right Click inside the note then Services ▹ New TextEdit Window Containing Selection".  

Then in TextEdit "Edit ▹ Find ▹ Find & Replace".  

Then copy all and paste back over selection in Evernote.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

Then copy all and paste back over selection in Evernote.  

I’d be concerned  this cutting/pasting might mess with the content?

I’d prefer a direct edit of the content.enml file; I use a script to identify the folder

My preferred process is to be working in a document attached to the note, for example a Word document.  My actual notes tend to be short and simple.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

CMD-A the text of the note you want to edit.

Right Click inside the note then Services ▹ New TextEdit Window Containing Selection".  

Then in TextEdit "Edit ▹ Find ▹ Find & Replace".  

Then copy all and paste back over selection in Evernote.  

Thank you! This should prove handy until the Evernote team gets off their collective a**!!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I’d be concerned  this cutting/pasting might mess with the content?

Yes, that is a BIG concern.  It is one, of many, reasons why we need Evernote Mac (like Evernote Win) to fully support Find & Replace.

If they already have the  Find & Repalce code for EN Win, it seems like the design is known, and a port to Mac should not be that hard.  Or so it seems to me.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now