Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 3 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

If you haven’t been following our beta releases, Evernote for Mac 6.2 adds better support for El Capitan by allowing for windows to be shrunk so that one can run split view.  This includes shrinking the sidebar into a single column of icons and a new more responsive formatting toolbar.  Also in this release, we’ve moved work chat to the bottom of the sidebar for 10.10 and above users and of course fixed a bunch of bugs.

What’s new in Beta 3?  We’ve made the following fixes.
  • On launch using El Capitan the Evernote window would be hidden for some people.  We think we fixed the issue so if you saw this problem in the past, please try Beta 3.  Thanks to all the customers who helped us track this down.  
  • Fixed a bunch of tag issues like the ellipses don’t jump around and editing tags works better but still haven’t added a scroll bar to the drop down.  We heard you loud and clear from the previous forum post and are looking into it.
  • Fixed an issue where one wouldn’t be able to rotate an image when using El Cap.  A lot of you mentioned this in the beta 2 forum so give this a try.
  • Fixed one of the top crashing issues in the app. 
As always, please give us your feedback and issues.   You can download the beta from here.  Tomorrow morning those of you using Beta 2 should get the upgrade notice.

46 replies to this idea

has anyone tried changing the date of a reminder? It doesn't operate consistently for me. I had to click on the calendar picker, then back on the text part of the date, then calendar picker a few times for the text part to actually change to the new date.

Works ok for me (I'm still on Yosemite if that makes a difference?).

I copied some text from Google Keep and pasted it into a new note. Unfortunately, that also pasted in the background color from the Keep note. Not sure if this is something new, or if it is intended behavior, but it isn't what I was expecting. Plus I don't see a way to get rid of the background color.

If there is a way to remove the background color, I would be happy to be educated.

If you put your cursor inside your note, hit CMD+SHIFT+F to simply the formatting of the note. It should remove the color.

It did, thanks.

Also when actually pasting content in you can use SHIFT + CMD + v to paste without formatting.

Cant change PDF's anymore to view inline.  This is causing big problems

I can't go back to the older version as it say''s my data is to new

How do I go back?

Hrm... is it just me or is the context menu totally boogered again? I cannot right-click and get the useful items (annotate, rename files, etc.)

Oh, wait. I am in List View. The context menu doesn't work if the note is in the main window, but if I open the note to its own window, then the context menu works fine.

I’m having the same issues with the context menu.

(I can't seem to search just this topic, so my apologies if this issue has already been raised.)

I don't know whether this is a new issue with the betas, but in Beta 3, when I resize an image in a note then annotate it, once I've finished annotating it, the image returns to its full size in the note. This is also true when revisiting a previously-annotated image and making any change to it: it again reverts to its original size.

It's pretty annoying to keep having to resize the same image over and over just to modify its annotations.

Here's the original image in the note at its original size:

post-80297-0-48084400-1445437978_thumb.j

After resizing it smaller:

post-80297-0-41148000-1445438074_thumb.j

Immediately after annotating the image, it reverts to its larger size:

post-80297-0-05795200-1445438084_thumb.j

• Level 5*

I am not sure if this is a bug or a bad design decision. Why is it on a note that is opened in its own window are the File|Save Attachments and File|Export Note commands grayed out? Those only work if the note is closed and the focus in the main EN window.

• Level 5

NUMBERING FORMAT:

Anyone else seeing overlapping text and number bullets?

How did you create the list? In Evernote itself or did you copy it from somewhere else? In that case try to convert the note to text.

If you haven’t been following our beta releases, Evernote for Mac 6.2 adds better support for El Capitan by allowing for windows to be shrunk so that one can run split view.  This includes shrinking the sidebar into a single column of icons and a new more responsive formatting toolbar.  Also in this release, we’ve moved work chat to the bottom of the sidebar for 10.10 and above users and of course fixed a bunch of bugs.

What’s new in Beta 3?  We’ve made the following fixes.
  • On launch using El Capitan the Evernote window would be hidden for some people.  We think we fixed the issue so if you saw this problem in the past, please try Beta 3.  Thanks to all the customers who helped us track this down.  
  • Fixed a bunch of tag issues like the ellipses don’t jump around and editing tags works better but still haven’t added a scroll bar to the drop down.  We heard you loud and clear from the previous forum post and are looking into it.
  • Fixed an issue where one wouldn’t be able to rotate an image when using El Cap.  A lot of you mentioned this in the beta 2 forum so give this a try.
  • Fixed one of the top crashing issues in the app. 
As always, please give us your feedback and issues.   You can download the beta from here.  Tomorrow morning those of you using Beta 2 should get the upgrade notice.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to rotate images in El Capitan. Does anyone else still have this problem? Both my El Capitan and Evernote are up to date.

• Level 5*

has anyone tried changing the date of a reminder? It doesn't operate consistently for me. I had to click on the calendar picker, then back on the text part of the date, then calendar picker a few times for the text part to actually change to the new date.

Issue doing search such as 15.10.16 nothing is returned (was in prior versions) and works in iOS.

We're doing lots of search fixes but to see the results you may need to reindex the files.  We plan on forcing a complete reindexing of all notes in the next beta but we've been working on reducing the CPU impact first.  To force it in beta 3 you can always go to the note that you're looking for and make an edit and then it will reindex the note.  Of course this is just as a test to see if the issue was that the note wasn't reindexed.  If this fixes the issue for you then you may want to reindex all of your notes but it can be CPU intensive in Beta 3.  You can do this by holding down the Option key and going to the Help menu, troubleshooting and select Recreate Full text Search Index.  

I added a note with 15.10.16 and then did a search and was able to find that note so I think this should be working so your issue may be a reindexing issue.  Anyway, let me know what you discover. 

Note sure if both of these issues have been posted already. Sorry if they have.

- Unable to rename PDF from Evernote - This is a key feature for me as i scan lots of documents into Evernote with sequential names and i use Evernote to organise them and change their names.

- Viewing PDFs and other documents such as MS Office documents often doesn't show the note preview inline like it used to do or take a very long time to load.

Again apologies if these are already mentioned. The rename PDF issue has been a problem for me since the first beta of 6.2, I thought a solution would be implemented by beta 2.

Thanks,

Kyle

• Level 5*

- Unable to rename PDF from Evernote - This is a key feature for me as i scan lots of documents into Evernote with sequential names and i use Evernote to organise them and change their names.

- Viewing PDFs and other documents such as MS Office documents often doesn't show the note preview inline like it used to do or take a very long time to load.

Again apologies if these are already mentioned. The rename PDF issue has been a problem for me since the first beta of 6.2, I thought a solution would be implemented by beta 2.

Thanks,

Kyle

On the first, open the note in a new window and see if that allows you to rename. The context menu in the current beta is messed up and often doesn't load properly if the note is only in the main EN window.

I too have experienced the second. I get a white page instead of the page contents.

Thanks,

Kyle

On the first, open the note in a new window and see if that allows you to rename. The context menu in the current beta is messed up and often doesn't load properly if the note is only in the main EN window.

I too have experienced the second. I get a white page instead of the page contents.

Thank you or the workaround for number 1. My revised workflow was much longer than just doing that. Much appreciated.

Hi,

I've been using 6.2beta3 for a few days now. One problem I noticed is that the "View as attachment" setting on my notes is not preserved (I often use this for notes that have multi-page attachments, as it makes it easy to select which one I want to open). At the moment it seems that in such notes, only the first attachment is shown as an icon, the rest in the note are expanded inline. Could this please be fixed?

Update: I also noticed that the "View as attachment" option did not appear in the context menu on my attachments, when I view the note in the main Evernote window. If I double-click it to open it in a separate window, then the context menu gets fixed and I can "View as attachment" again. Once I make this change in 6.2beta3, the attachments remain in the correct view, even after I restart Evernote.

• Level 5*

Evernote started hanging (rainbow disk) at start-up. El Capitan, MacBook 2015. I have tried 6.1.1 at App Store and installed Mac 6.2 Beta 3. Same issue. I rely very heavily on Evernote, so I need an urgent fix.  Ideas?

1. Contact support directly
  2. {more drastic} - uninstall Evernote completely, then manually remove your data files (you'll need to search the forums to see where your data files are as app store vs direct download are different locations, and I think pre-Yosimite builds were also in a different place), then reinstall and let it pull all of your data down. It sounds like you have a corruption in the data files.

but I'd definitely go #1 first, especially if you have some offline only notebooks that aren't sync'd with EN servers.

Until I updated to this version, I was able to "right-click" a PDF in a note, and bring up a contextual menu that had "Open" and "Open with..." at the top. This no longer happens. My workflow relies on being able to do this often, so I'm hoping this feature has not been deprecated, and will be back soon in a stable release. Is my hope misplaced? Thanks.

• Level 5*

Until I updated to this version, I was able to "right-click" a PDF in a note, and bring up a contextual menu that had "Open" and "Open with..." at the top. This no longer happens. My workflow relies on being able to do this often, so I'm hoping this feature has not been deprecated, and will be back soon in a stable release. Is my hope misplaced? Thanks.

Open the note in a new window, then right-click. the context menu is temporarily broken.

Open the note in a new window, then right-click. the context menu is temporarily broken.

Thanks, that works!

Didn't find a way to turn on a Skitch icon like the one on the Mac version. Will the right click be the only way to edit an image via Skitch?

[update] Found it hovering the mouse over the image, but I still thing a icon would be an interesting idea ;-)

I have two accounts, premium + basic, with a shared notebook. In this notebook I merged some notes (photos, PDFs) into one note. This note sometimes show up with a header and sometimes without, see screenshots.

(Note: A few moments ago I realized that I had downloaded b3 but not installed it, so this happened in b2 ... I haven't seen this in b3 so far but I have only used it a few minutes)

I had a similar issue with a note that had a long table in it.  The formatting toolbar started floating above my note text!!  See screenshot.  I have subsequently had further issues where the toolbar disappeared altogether.  It is quickly resolved by exiting the note and going back into it - though of course you'll agree it still shouldn't happen :)

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020151015%2018

I have two accounts, premium + basic, with a shared notebook. In this notebook I merged some notes (photos, PDFs) into one note. This note sometimes show up with a header and sometimes without, see screenshots.

(Note: A few moments ago I realized that I had downloaded b3 but not installed it, so this happened in b2 ... I haven't seen this in b3 so far but I have only used it a few minutes)

post-154922-0-59442600-1444730381_thumb.

post-154922-0-27028000-1444730390_thumb.

• Level 5*

I don't have the notice yet, but I came to report that with beta 2 the column heading widths are still getting messed up when the app launches fresh. The first column is as wide as it can be, and the remaining columns are as small as they can be.

Also, when scrolling a large note, say one with a multipage PDF, you cannot hover over the scrollbar area to get it to appear. You have to scroll the note then go grab it quickly. The scroll bar should appear when you hover over it.

Nice progress on the beta. It'd be good to see the new system font used throughout the UI, as opposed to Helvetica (in this beta series, as far as I can tell, the final remaining pieces in Lucida Grande have migrated to Helvetica, but still…)

Tags appear to be working better after saved searches. Thanks.

Seems you're sticking to not showing notebook and tags in the editing view. I still find this a major annoyance and wish you'd decide to have an extra line for those that is always visible.

One of the weird results of the current UI is that when I click on the tag button, the mouse is not over the tags but over the notebook after clicking. This is confusing. 

A small thing:

- when I delete the last tag in the tag field, the focus automatically goes away from the field. To delete a tag AND directly re-enter a new tag, I must click into the field again first. Please change so that field keeps focus.

I was a little slow to comment on the original beta, and I’m just now finding out that Markdown has been removed. That's too bad. That was the one thing that I was looking forward to the most. Perhaps it's best, though, because the original implementation wasn't that great. 

Here's what I'd like to see in the future, and I'll quote from something that I recently read, because it sums up what I want perfectly:

Unfortunately, the Markdown support [in Evernote] seems to be a one-time conversion from Markdown to HTML […] This means users can write in Markdown for the initial [note], but any further edits […] will need to be done using [Evernote's] default rich WYSIWYG editor.

A more attractive long-term solution for Markdown fans would be to support storing Markdown text literally in [Evernote's] database, and converting it to HTML only for presentation [in Evernote or in the web app]. This leaves the pristine Markdown available for perpetual edits either moments or years after the [note is originally written]. This would require updating the [Evernote editor] to support editing content as plain text, but would be a welcome change for anybody who favors editing in Markdown.

- Daniel Jalkut, from Red Sweater Software

Jalkut was talking about the Medium's new API, but the problems with their implementation were exactly the same problems with Evernote's. I barely had to change anything in this quote for it to apply here.

Basically, I'd like to be able to import all of my current Markdown files. And when I look at them inside of Evernote, I'd love to see them perfectly rendered. But when I want to make a change, or add to one of these notes, I want to be able to do it using the original Markdown source. Or, even better, I'd like to be able to write in a Markdown variant, like MultiMarkdown. This would give us the best of both worlds. We'd see our notes as perfectly rendered HTML, and when we need to edit, it won't be as messy as it normally is when using a WYSIWYG client with rich text. 

• Level 5*

How do I go back?

Hrm... is it just me or is the context menu totally boogered again? I cannot right-click and get the useful items (annotate, rename files, etc.)

Oh, wait. I am in List View. The context menu doesn't work if the note is in the main window, but if I open the note to its own window, then the context menu works fine.

• Level 5*

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE, please fix the issue with column widths when Evernote starts up. 

Please.

I'm guessing we just missed the Top list View default column widths.  I've written up a ticket for it.  Did you see large columns widths for other note list views?

I don't know. I always fix it as soon as it starts and I see this. Next time it happens I will check other notebooks. I always start up in my @inbox notebook.

• Has the 'open with' option been removed with right clicking an attachment? Super important to me. I open Word docs in Word vs Pages for example.

Having cursor and spacing issues as well - i.e. Add 3 movie files to a note. Tried to space down each, they moved into weird spaces, not above one another or even beside one another. I finally got them above each other, but the spacing is like double vs the standard single.

I had a similar issue with a note that had a long table in it.  The formatting toolbar started floating above my note text!!  See screenshot.  I have subsequently had further issues where the toolbar disappeared altogether.  It is quickly resolved by exiting the note and going back into it - though of course you'll agree it still shouldn't happen :)

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020151015%2018

Thanks for reporting this.  This bug has been logged and should be resolved in the next beta.

Tags appear to be working better after saved searches. Thanks.

Seems you're sticking to not showing notebook and tags in the editing view. I still find this a major annoyance and wish you'd decide to have an extra line for those that is always visible.

One of the weird results of the current UI is that when I click on the tag button, the mouse is not over the tags but over the notebook after clicking. This is confusing. 

A small thing:

- when I delete the last tag in the tag field, the focus automatically goes away from the field. To delete a tag AND directly re-enter a new tag, I must click into the field again first. Please change so that field keeps focus.

We do have a tooltip for Tags so you can hover over the icon to see the full list.  You can also click on the tag icon to get into Tag edit mode to add tags or to just see them.

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE, please fix the issue with column widths when Evernote starts up. 

Please.

I'm guessing we just missed the Top list View default column widths.  I've written up a ticket for it.  Did you see large columns widths for other note list views?  

How do I go back?

Sorry, the right click menu is messed up again.  We're working on a fix but in the mean time try switching notes and going back and trying again.   Sometimes this works to trigger the right menu. 

• Having cursor and spacing issues as well - i.e. Add 3 movie files to a note. Tried to space down each, they moved into weird spaces, not above one another or even beside one another. I finally got them above each other, but the spacing is like double vs the standard single.

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  Can you tell me more about what type of files you're using and how you're adding them to the note.  I drag and dropped from the Finder.  Also sometimes a copy and paste in the note can impact future copies and pastes.

I had an issue this morning trying to save a note to PDF. It wouldn't work.  After multiple attempts it saved, but then it only saved part of the page.   The "convert to PDF" function seems broken.

I'm not seeing this issue.  Can anyone else repro the problem?

I copied some text from Google Keep and pasted it into a new note. Unfortunately, that also pasted in the background color from the Keep note. Not sure if this is something new, or if it is intended behavior, but it isn't what I was expecting. Plus I don't see a way to get rid of the background color.

If there is a way to remove the background color, I would be happy to be educated. 

• Level 5*

I had an issue this morning trying to save a note to PDF. It wouldn't work.  After multiple attempts it saved, but then it only saved part of the page.   The "convert to PDF" function seems broken.

I'm not seeing this issue.  Can anyone else repro the problem?

No problems here. (Sorry the GIF is so terrible; my regular software decided El Capitan support isn’t a priority)

xUPK5b5Z-X.gif

• Level 5*

Also I’d like to chime in on the “tags list doesn’t scroll” issue. This really borks my workflow. It’s really handy to be able to type the prefixes to tags I’ve set up and see all options. For example, I use “w.projecttitle” as the formula for all work projects. Each note related to that project gets the tag. Then these are sorted in my sidebar by Completed, Active, and Someday. This means that there are quite a few tags starting with “w.” that I want to all see listed when tagging a note but cannot. Was there a reason this was removed? Are we likely to see it stick or revert? I’m wondering if I have to redo my entire workflow...

bAzj3R8sK2-2000x2000.png

• Level 5*

If you put your cursor inside your note, hit CMD+SHIFT+F to simply the formatting of the note. It should remove the color.

It did, thanks.

Archived