How to turn off the "/" shortcut

I don't know who's idea it was to assign a "/" symbol to actions. I mean each time I write anything I see this command on screen

and each time I hit"/" I see these commands! Guys, are you on drugs? Don't you know how the language works?

How to turn off the f... "/" shortcut? I don't see that in the menu. It's crazy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  We're mainly other users here and drug use is optional...  you could contact Evernote directly https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or mail feedback@evernote.com 

The '/' shortcut is in use in various other software and I got used to the prompt very quickly - there's no way (yet) yet to turn it off AFAIK

Thank you. It is a torture for me. I use / very often. Plus in every line I have the cursor I see this annoying message.

• Like 5
  • Level 5

That it can’t be turned off currently has been explained. 2 workarounds could be:

A Slash followed by a space is not treated as a command any more.

A Slash followed by a backspace reverts to the / character itself, and you can continue typing.

Why not use ctrl+/ or command+/ ?
I type a thousand sentences and it reminds me a thousand times that there is a "/" shortcut.
It always gets in the way when I'm typing.
What design is this?

• Like 6

I use Evernote a lot for writing text and now every new line starts with a grey slash. This is really insane!!! Evernote is focussed more on their own obsession with (new) functionality than on just letting people do their work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You get used to it after a while. I've had the feature for a couple of weeks now and I don't see it all now. Kind of works the same as other apps with / commands.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

You get used to it after a while. I've had the feature for a couple of weeks now and I don't see it all now. Kind of works the same as other apps with / commands.

not the same... in Obsidian this is only option in settings and if you use it .. dont get info, what you can do woth /

I am working paralel on Evernote and Obsidian, and is really different now...  and no problem in Obsidisn to use /

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 3/11/2024 at 5:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

That it can’t be turned off currently has been explained. 2 workarounds could be:

A Slash followed by a space is not treated as a command any more.

A Slash followed by a backspace reverts to the / character itself, and you can continue typing.

For me, on Windows, a / followed by a backspace just deletes the /, and when I type it again I get the menu. Is it different on the Mac?

On 3/11/2024 at 12:13 PM, Doministry said:

Thank you. It is a torture for me. I use / very often. Plus in every line I have the cursor I see this annoying message.

I have exactly the same grievance, as I really don't need to be reminded of a feature I don't use, literally every time I press Enter.

For what it's worth, I've opened a ticket with Evernote Support to see whether/when it will be removed (or at least turned into a feature that can be disabled via the Note settings), and I'll post back here once I get a response.

Hopefully sooner rather than later, before I resort to the optional drug use that @gazumped helpfully suggested above 🫠

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If I had one suggestion it would be to only allow the / command to function at the start of a line. It shouldn't pop up mid sentence. That has to be a bug or an oversight.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

If I had one suggestion it would be to only allow the / command to function at the start of a line. It shouldn't pop up mid sentence. That has to be a bug or an oversight.

They should at least modify the list of possibilities.  Link and Note Link might occur mid-paragraph while Table, Task, and others are not valid.

• Like 1

... I'm afraid it's 'Press "/" to insert an element' or me. If I can't disable this function, I'm afraid I'm going to have to quit Evernote. Surely you ran feedback sessions before foisting this on us?

The fact you can't disable it is (as many others have pointed out) infuriating!

• Level 5
4 minutes ago, Mr Barv said:

... I'm afraid it's 'Press "/" to insert an element' or me. If I can't disable this function, I'm afraid I'm going to have to quit Evernote. Surely you ran feedback sessions before foisting this on us?

The fact you can't disable it is (as many others have pointed out) infuriating!

Hi, and welcome to the forums. We're other users here, experiencing the same as you. To speak to Evernote about quality control, or other issues: feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I too really hope the backslash to insert function is removed or made optional. Ctrl+/ would be more logical. Using backslash in normal everyday writing is very common and is surely more of a priority for the majority than the dubious need to insert some doodad every second sentence. Why is there a whole simple keypress dedicated to this. Very annoying with all the popup windows it throws up every time. Evernote! Please let us type! 

On 3/12/2024 at 6:41 PM, PinkElephant said:

Why don’t you tell them ?

Perhaps because they don't listen or even bother to respond (other than the automated "thank your" reply)? :(

I opened dozens of tickets (one per missing, crucial feature in v10, which existed in v6, so nothing too fancy) - none was ever answered in a meaningful way.

• Level 5

Probably they do some deep thinking about your tickets, and are still thinking about it. This would explain the bad support reaction time …

Don‘t expect any of the functions you are missing to show up in v10. None of them. There were more than 3 years to add features, and I wouldn’t expect anything that was not added by now to show up. There is no focus on adding bloat from former versions - most introduced during the last years were new, innovative features completely absent from the legacy versions.

You can be pleasantly surprised about anything that will show up.

• Level 5
On 4/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, Kallagh said:

I too really hope the backslash to insert function is removed or made optional. Ctrl+/ would be more logical. Using backslash in normal everyday writing is very common and is surely more of a priority for the majority than the dubious need to insert some doodad every second sentence. Why is there a whole simple keypress dedicated to this. Very annoying with all the popup windows it throws up every time. Evernote! Please let us type! 

I agree completely. Ctrl+/ is already in use to access the keyboard shortcut dialog, but Alt+/ should be readily available. This was so easy to get right, and they didn't. BenSpoo seems to want to push people to become familiar with new features, and the method is to have them in your face very frequently. But once they're familiar, they could recede into the background, where we'll still know how to find them. The AI Edit button that pops up on the mere selection of text (or images, which can't even be edited by their AI) is worse, IMHO; and it is aggravated by the occasional popup provoked by nothing at all inviting us to try out AI Edit.

• Like 1

I am a professor and use Evernote as a lab notebook, where I am keeping track of the steps in my data processing using the university's computer clusters.  These computers use the Linux operating system, which has lots of use of '/' to mark directories. It is a disaster now when I want to put in something like

cp ~/big_data_file.mrc tmp/archive/20240415/

and the text gets automatically converted to a TO-DO ITEM! I haven't found a good way to recover from this.

And, by the way, I also use the Terminal app on my Mac and have to deal with the same syntax.

This situation is entirely unacceptable. PLEASE allow us to turn this 'feature' off!

Meanwhile I'd really like to find an alternative to EverNote. Fellow users, do you have suggestions?

• Level 5
58 minutes ago, fsigworth said:

I am a professor and use Evernote as a lab notebook, where I am keeping track of the steps in my data processing using the university's computer clusters.  These computers use the Linux operating system, which has lots of use of '/' to mark directories. It is a disaster now when I want to put in something like

and the text gets automatically converted to a TO-DO ITEM! I haven't found a good way to recover from this.

And, by the way, I also use the Terminal app on my Mac and have to deal with the same syntax.

This situation is entirely unacceptable. PLEASE allow us to turn this 'feature' off!

Meanwhile I'd really like to find an alternative to EverNote. Fellow users, do you have suggestions?

That's a really good, precise use situation in which the / popup is failing in its purpose. Sending it to feedback@evernote.com or https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new would be useful.

3 hours ago, fsigworth said:

I support the feature request to disable slash commands entirely, but is there no way for you to copy and paste a directory path? 

Not sure what terminal type you are using on Linux, but with Terminal on Mac, it's faster to copy and paste the directory path and less prone to typos and you'll also avoid the slash command menu while you are at it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Have you tried working in a code block?  (Ironically /co to start...)  The grey text-only area does not react to further uses of '/'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2024 at 3:22 AM, afflatus said:

FYI - IT ACTUALLY IS POSSIBLE! See here: 

I've confirmed it works. I can't believe it. 

image.gif.d0e0d26db8f8ca431235faff6d27e11c.gif

On 4/30/2024 at 7:22 PM, afflatus said:

FYI - IT ACTUALLY IS POSSIBLE! See here: 

I've confirmed it works. I can't believe it. 

That only hides the inline hint, it doesn't actually turn the slash command feature off altogether which is what I believe the thread is about.

• Like 1