Evernote is now limited to 50 free notes, that's my last straw.

I've been using Evernote since 2017 on and off, and accrued 1262 notes, over the years Evernote has become more and more laggy and it became a lot more intrusive with ads and "one-time offers" that keep showing up every time you open the app, but I've endured it, just for the sake of having been using using the app for so long, even though there are other note apps out there that are a lot better, however, this new thing, the 50 notes cap, that's my last straw, I'm going to export all my notes to another app, and quit this app for good.

Screenshot 2023-11-25 112636.png

Screenshot 2023-11-25 112620.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, cverdul said:

I am surprised with this shift in strategy. I can't quite believe we're being expelled. I've been a user since 2011 and I'm still on a free account

You can't see the economics in this business decision?  Personally, as a paying user, I'm glad to see that my subsidizing of the free accounts appears to be ending.

• Like 6
hace 4 minutos, s2sailor dijo:

¿No ves la economía en esta decisión empresarial? Personalmente, como usuario de pago, me alegra ver que mi subsidio a las cuentas gratuitas parece estar llegando a su fin.

If the performance was acceptable, I'd be on a payment plan. I've thought about it many times but after having to retry twice to open each note, I don't want to. If you told me it was solved by paying, I would.

• Like 1
At first it had an acceptable performance. Then it wasn't, but it was free and I couldn't demand more. And performance has been a barrier to deciding to move to a payment plan for something that in each use generated a bad feeling for me.
  • Level 5

Somebody who tells me he is with a service for free since 12 years, and it never got good enough to decide in favor of paying, is either lying to himself, or has a solid trait of masochism. Either way I have a hard time believing this.

No, this free plan invited a certain group of users who enjoyed using a valuable service for free, without any intention to ever pay for it. No need to excuse themselves for doing so. 

It was a rather stupid move of the former managements (plural) to allow this for years and years. They probably just needed to watch their conversion statistics to see that this Free offer didn’t work as intended, as a stepstone into contributing to the service and its development.

The party is over now, and nobody who exploited the Free offer for years (=his fellow users paying for it) should complain about it. Pay or leave.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I trusted them for a decade, getting  them dozens of customers, to be treated like this when I am down on my luck feels like a spit in the face when i just want basic old 2010s sync between desktop and mobile, nothing else. I am never paying for evernote after this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It is dismaying, but not surprising, that people will keep using the free version of something for years, but then when it is closed off they threaten to leave.

Who exactly is hurt by a non-paying customer leaving?  Evernote?  If the customer didn't convert to paying in over 10 years, then obviously they never will.  Us paying customers?  No, because that's less resources Evernote spends on free customers and can convert that attention back to the paying customers.

I really want Evernote to succeed under the new owners.  I've been a paying customer since 2008 and when it has worked during those years, it was great.  Then the "bad days" came and lasted a good bit until the new owners.  I'm hoping BendingSpoons can take us to better days.  But honestly, there's no way they can if they're giving the product away for free.  Continual improvement costs money.  I'm keeping my subscription for at least another year as an investment in the improvement because I like the product and always have.

Suggestion:  Free users that have problems, come back in like a year and check it out. If it works better for you, please consider subscribing.  If you find something better or Evernote isn't better, fair enough.  But please think through what you're saying and realize that it just doesn't make sense to have those expectations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
But do you think it's acceptable to pay for the current malfunction of the app on Android? In my case, I was stuck with a lot of notes that were created when the system was working and without a clear possibility of migration. And that's why I'm still around
  • Level 5

I don’t think it is acceptable that you use the app since years, and expect from others (or to personalize it from me) to pay for your free ride.

Since you don’t contribute to make the app performing and advance its features, I don’t care if you think you „should“ pay. No, you shouldn’t - just take your data and leave. It’s not us making you stick, it’s yourself exploiting it to the utmost.

Nobody with any knowledge of the EN ecosystem would use the Android client to move data elsewhere. It only allows to export a single note at a time. If this would be an option, you could probably continue with a 50 notes cap …

• Like 1
18 hours ago, cverdul said:
But do you think it's acceptable to pay for the current malfunction of the app on Android? In my case, I was stuck with a lot of notes that were created when the system was working and without a clear possibility of migration. And that's why I'm still around

I am paying the Professional Plan and have a Four-Year-Old Samsung A70 Android 11 phone.  Works fine for me. Is it at lightning speed? No, but I would not expect a four-year-old phone to be, but it works well enough for me. The cost of my Subscription currently works out at 24p per day.  Do I get that amount of value from the software? most certainly!

• Like 9
On 11/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, cverdul said:

I mean, yes I understand why you wouldn't pay when it wasn't working.  But I've used it on Android for years - at some point it surely was working for you.  You did nothing wrong - they offered it free; it just doesn't make sense to me.

You can export /  migrate now for sure.  I just did so to Obsidian (I'm sticking with Evernote, I just like trying things out); it went fine.

If I were you, I would do whatever and then come back in a year or so to see how it's going.  If you like it, I would encourage you to subscribe.   You will get support, full complaining rights (lol), and be supporting development on the software.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on a paid plan for years and then upgraded to get the ocr feature. When the feature didn't work on my scanned pdf documents i tried to return to my previous plan the same day. They didn't let me as apparently my previous plan had been grandfathered and i couldn't return to it. I was super upset at that since their upgraded plan didn't work as advertised and i lost my previous plan.  At that point i went to the free plan. This is outrageous that they would do this without any notice. I am investigating using notion, but there is somewhat of a learning curve. So sad that they are doing this. 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2023 at 4:43 PM, PinkElephant said:

Somebody who tells me he is with a service for free since 12 years, and it never got good enough to decide in favor of paying, is either lying to himself, or has a solid trait of masochism. Either way I have a hard time believing this.

No, this free plan invited a certain group of users who enjoyed using a valuable service for free, without any intention to ever pay for it. No need to excuse themselves for doing so. 

It was a rather stupid move of the former managements (plural) to allow this for years and years. They probably just needed to watch their conversion statistics to see that this Free offer didn’t work as intended, as a stepstone into contributing to the service and its development.

The party is over now, and nobody who exploited the Free offer for years (=his fellow users paying for it) should complain about it. Pay or leave.

I was on a paid plan for years and then upgraded to get the ocr feature. When the feature didn't work on my scanned pdf documents i tried to return to my previous plan the same day. They didn't let me as apparently my previous plan had been grandfathered and i couldn't return to it. I was super upset at that since their upgraded plan didn't work as advertised and i lost my previous plan.  At that point i went to the free plan. This is outrageous that they would do this without any notice. I am investigating using notion, but there is somewhat of a learning curve. So sad that they are doing this. 

Hi, I've been using Evernote for 14 years. Both in paid and free versions. It's a good program but it had a lot of bugs (and still has many now). I often recommended it to collaborators and friends: now honestly no longer.

As a company policy it seems terrible to me: distancing users never works. It was enough to make the free version very simple: 10 - 20 megs, only 1 notebook, but at least infinite text notes (we are in 2023 not 2007).

Now it's simply useless. Fewer users, fewer people who recommend it, more rivals, less money for the company and to support paying users. It seems that the company has become Italian, this scares me a lot... I'm Italian and here we think like in 1960 :(

In any case, happy you, happy everyone. I will try new apps, perhaps with the ability to move text and objects in space. HI!

• Level 5

Distancing customers would  be one thing.

But here we talk about distancing users who will never contribute to what they use (and obviously are even proud they don’t).

No damage done shedding this part of the user base - just the opposite. 

• Like 1

I have been a paid user for a long time. Not anymore because the functions I need are very simple (the colored tables, really very practical), but little memory space per month.

I have brought many new users to Evernote but now I would advise them to avoid it. Is it a good result? I think not.

Over the last twenty years I have seen many important software and sites fail due to rigid commercial policies (Quark vs Indesign in publishing, Reason vs Fl studio in music, Myspace vs Facebook... we could go on forever).

One could even think of just a scalar system, in which users could possibly select individual premium functions (more memory, searches with artificial intelligence, more notebooks...).

Instead, driving away casual users will limit the app to a small number of premium users. Will there be big improvements in the App? I doubt it (I know all the Android and Windows versions, with their problems and advantages, I know well how it has changed over time).

Truly a shame.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, koeru said:

Truly a shame.

That users no longer get to use a premium app for zero cost?  I guess from your point of view,  that would be a yes.  From my "I pay for what I use" POV - not so much.  Bye.

• Like 3

I'm another who has been using Evernote free for more than 10 years.  I do not need any of the  bells or whistles that I am now being asked to pay for.  I would gladly pay $50/year to just have access on three devices, and unlimited notebooks (I only have 4) and notes (under 1K).  I use it primarily for recipes and notes of things that I need to have with me.  If I could now export to another app without doing every note individually, I would do that.  The Apple Notes app originally had no sort options or notebooks, which is why I went to Evernote.  Can anyone tell me which version of Evernote I need to be able to export my data? 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, cverdul said:

I am surprised with this shift in strategy. I can't quite believe we're being expelled. I've been a user since 2011 and I'm still on a free account because the performance is disappointing.

I was surprised when they did it the first time (2016 ? or so). But that's because back then I still believed that Evernote should have pursued a growth-based strategy. If you look at my posts from five or so years ago, I was saying that they were making a mistake by making the service unattractive for new users. 

I think I have a better understanding of the overall market and EN's place in it today. So I no longer think that acquiring new users is their priority, and I can see why. They switched from growth to monetization, and in the specific case of Evernote, probably chose the least worst option. 

• Level 5

@cverdul We have heard all lame excuses for not subscribing by now. Why does the forum not offer a list one just needs to check off ?

Or better Why don’t you simply say „I used it because what was offered for Free served my uses, and now it doesn’t any more“. Totally comprehensible …

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I purchased the license. Since then, the Android app has not hung up again.

Isn't it a misguided strategy to penalize non-customers?  Do I have to buy the license to verify that it's a working app?

I think the problem is related to advertising being displayed and interfering with the process of opening notes.

Someone should check it out.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:48 PM, s2sailor said:

You can't see the economics in this business decision?  Personally, as a paying user, I'm glad to see that my subsidizing of the free accounts appears to be ending.

I am sorry for your answer. I have been using EVERNOTE for years as a FREE user and have more than 2000 notes, that I use on a very basic way, I never felt the need to take a paid option because I don't need fancy stuff, just an app that would keep my ideas for future post and kept history of my post... Obviously the change in direction is surely due to MONEY, thus the push to make people pay... it was free for years

• Like 1

14.99 a month or 178.88 per year. The lowest paid plan. And the WORST spelling editor on the planet. Four short paragraphs, 13 misspellings, not one accurately corrected. Performance has been declining. 

I would pay SOMETHING but for less than a gig of data over two devices,. NO WAY. For that money, it needs to be the BEST app out there, and it isn't. 

When out of state with two family members on deaths door I took over the family business. Evernote allowed me to create short voice to text documents with numbers, figures, and project specific facts, given to me for later referral. 

Its a bare bones app with a few added bells and whistles. For a premium price, it needs to be a rock star. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Just for reference I'm no longer going to respond individually to anyone lamenting the end of their free lunch service.  Like they say in Frozen "let it go" - Evernote owed no duty of care to those using its free services,  but does have a duty to its owners not to mindlessly give funds away to no effect.  Evernote say that the majority of free users already fall within a 50-note maximum,  which does fit in with those who tried it but didn't want to continue with the experience,  or those who only need an occasional list. 

Everyone with more than 50 notes and 1 notebook can (IMHO) reasonably be expected never to actually pay for a service,  no matter what sort of cut-price package was developed.  There are lots of other "free" services around - I'm sure you can find a new home.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, sophia L said:

Obviously the change in direction is surely due to MONEY, thus the push to make people pay... it was free for years

Of course it is.  It was free for years because it was funded by venture capitalists, with the hope that the free plan would convert users over to a paid plan, which never happened, so Evernote either finds a way to be profitable or it dies.

• Like 3

I am sorry for your answer. I have been using EVERNOTE for years as a FREE user and have more than 2000 notes, that I use on a very basic way, I never felt the need to take a paid option because I don't need fancy stuff, just an app that would keep my ideas for future post and kept history of my post... Obviously the change in direction is surely due to MONEY, thus the push to make people pay... it was free for years

You sound like you feel that you are entitled to be provided a free service for ever just because you used it for free for years... this doesn't make any sense.

Evernote is not a FOSS, it wasn't developed via free contributions from the wider community.

It costs money to develop the software and to run the service. Evernote is a business, they are selling a product (service) to make money. At some point they decided that the free plans failed to bring in the value that they expected from them. It's perfectly within their rights to modify or outright cancel them.  As long as they maintain the users' data integrity and provide them with means to export their data out and move it elsewhere, I don't see any ethical issues with the way they handled this change. 

I am not planning on switching to the new paid plan, just because I don't see the value in it for us (my wife is the primary user, I moved on a while ago, and she can keep her notes anywhere). But, I don't see why anyone owes me a cheap plan. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

IMHO, > 2000 notes that keep your ideas from the past available for future use is not at all "basic." It is at least semi-professional, and should be paid for.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, transplantwest said:

14.99 a month or 178.88 per year. The lowest paid plan. And the WORST spelling editor on the planet. Four short paragraphs, 13 misspellings, not one accurately corrected. Performance has been declining. 

I would pay SOMETHING but for less than a gig of data over two devices,. NO WAY. For that money, it needs to be the BEST app out there, and it isn't. 

When out of state with two family members on deaths door I took over the family business. Evernote allowed me to create short voice to text documents with numbers, figures, and project specific facts, given to me for later referral. 

Its a bare bones app with a few added bells and whistles. For a premium price, it needs to be a rock star. 

1. Evernote has not had any spellchecker at all for several years. It uses operating system resources.
  2. Evernote helped you out in your family's professional work at a time of loss and significant need. My condolences on your loss, sincerely. But it seems to me that a professionally useful tool is worth a professional cost, such as .50/day.
  3. "Bare bones app with a few added bells and whistles" 😂
  • Like 1
On 11/12/2023 at 11:15, PinkElephant dijo:

The function of the app has nothing to do with a subscription. Unless you violate a device limit with Free - then it won’t work at all.

The app on Android hangs randomly when opening notes without a pay subscription for a long time.
This issue has disappeared after subscribing. Isn't that curious?
And I think it's because of the advertising messages it tries to show to free accounts.
Definitely a gaffe

On 11/26/2023 at 7:50 PM, cverdul said:

I have a four-year-old Android Phone (Samsung A70) and have no real problems with EN on it.  It is not lightning fast but then I do not expect a four-year-old phone to be.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Walder said:

I have noted the price is different in different countries. 128 usd/year in US and about 35 usd/year in Russia ))

? For reasons of exchange rate and taxes,  local prices may vary...  and prices you see may be out of date.

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

? For reasons of exchange rate and taxes,  local prices may vary...  and prices you see may be out of date.

No, it is ot because exchange rates. I think just different prices for different markets because people earn different money. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Walder said:

different prices for different markets because people earn different money

Also possible - but we have no specific information either way...  Evernote would be the ones to ask for more on that,  and they may or may not respond.

Hello - long time paying evernote user here (8+ years) 

I am in the process of exiting the building. two questions 

- Is there any way to bulk export all my notes (not in the Evernote format) - but in a format that I can easily upload into a new notes app? (I have over 3000 notes) 

- Where is everyone going? Yes I read about the free apple notes app, notion etc etc - but wondering what is the easiest and best place for a long time evernote user to actually go in terms of ease of transfer of note from one app to another. 

Thank you! 

Surely they can make another cheaper payment plan for users who do not need all the advanced features and just want to be able to take more notes?

Paying €100 per year for just writing simple notes is absurd. 

I'd gladly pay for a cheaper plan, but without any of the extra features.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, n.d.s said:

but wondering what is the easiest and best place for a long time evernote user to actually go in terms of ease of transfer of note from one app to another. 

There really isn't a best overall option, that is why you see many different apps mentioned here.  It really depends on how you use Evernote and what works for you.  It is best to try several and see what is the best fit.  Most other apps seem to import the Evernote enex files fine, though many appear to have difficulty with OneNote.  As far as I know, it doesn't have a supported importer.  There is a third party one available that some have used.

6 hours ago, Le Bubu said:

Surely they can make another cheaper payment plan for users who do not need all the advanced features and just want to be able to take more notes?

I'd gladly pay for a cheaper plan, but without any of the extra features.

I also prefer more flexible payment plans.

• Level 5

There have been "flexible" payment plans all along. Initially the Plus subscriptions until 2018, then heavily rebated Premium subscriptions until roughly mid 2021, when the new scheme launched.

To call them less than a stellar success is probably a nice way to describe the situation. EN didn't have a lack of "flexible" payment plans, they had a too generous Free plan competing with them.

EN / BS has decided to abandon them all, currently giving Plus or Premium users on grandfathered subscriptions the alternative to subscribe for Personal with a 1st year rebate, or fall to Free (which has just lost a lot of attractiveness). I see nothing below the current Personal at least while this restructuring of the user base is ongoing - this means until the end of 2024 at least.

It would make no sense to move loyal subscribers away from a 50$ subscription, just to offer a 30$ "Flexplan" at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, Le Bubu said:

I would agree with this. But of course Evernote does so much more than write simple notes, including linking them together, supplementing them with attachments, adding tasks to them, syncing them with Google Calendar, searching them (including image attachments, which it OCRs).... That's where the €100 comes in. For simple notes there are free apps that work well, and Evernote is over-powered. Perhaps this is one point that Bending Spoons is trying to establish.

• Like 3

I am a very long time user of Evernote.   I received the 50 note limit.  I deleted old notes so I now have less than 50.  However, I continue to have the message about a 50 note limit and still am not able to add a new note.  Can someone let me know how to regain the ability to create new notes?  Thanks

• Level 5*
On 12/24/2023 at 7:09 AM, JCmo said:

I am a very long time user of Evernote.   I received the 50 note limit.  I deleted old notes so I now have less than 50.  However, I continue to have the message about a 50 note limit and still am not able to add a new note.  Can someone let me know how to regain the ability to create new notes?  Thanks

Empty your Trash notebook?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I agree with TC. This is insane. They are going to permanently lose a LOT of business. If funds were the pretend reason for charging people $10/month MINUMUM to use their app, they would have been smarter to make the free version have ads to help supplement their free app. I'm done with these fools.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, evernoteisscammingus said:

They are going to permanently lose a LOT of business.

I don't think you can technically call free users 'business'...  they're more a liability...

• Like 2

I'v been using it since 2011 and I'm a payed subscriber for the last 2 years, my subscription expired yesterday and today I'm not able to do anything, how is that possible?

I didn't create a new Notebook for the last month but I did create a new Note yesterday, so I should be able at least create a new Notebook...but I can't. Also it doesn't say if it's a monthly limit or yearly?

Also you can't do anything in settings, for example change a default notebook sends you straight to  Upgrade your plan page, which doesn't make any sense...

It also doesn't say a single word about this important limitation on their subscription Plan page...

image.thumb.png.2c64cc89e23de405b8cc8b471769e4dd.png

Also what would be the alternative to move too?

I tried to generate a Token for Python but I can't...is this even normal that my data held as a hostage and I can't export it pragmatically???

I have intermittently used Evernote since 2015. As a freelancer, I found it to be a useful tool for my business, and I didn't mind paying for it as a business expense. However, now as a full-time employee who uses the program less frequently, I find it disappointing that even basic features like creating a new note have become restricted. It seems that Evernote is less interested in retaining occasional users like myself.

-JB

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, John Behring said:

It seems that Evernote is less interested in retaining occasional users like myself.

If you feel that you need their services,  the subscriptions are available online.  If you don't believe that the service is worth the cost...

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, peddyua said:

my data held as a hostage and I can't export it pragmatically???

If you have more than 50 notes and 1 notebook you still have access to your notes on two devices.  One of them needs to be a desktop so that you can export your notebooks to ENEX, HTML or PDF.  No hostages here...

Export notes and notebooks

1st: I didn't get a notice about the new 50 note limit. My app notified me randomly (today) that it wasn't sync'd anymore. I hit the net searching for wtf, found out about all the hoopla, and now my only questions is: 

If my free account has been limited, WHERE ARE MY LAST 50 NOTES???

I just tried downloading the Windows version of the app so that I can export my data.

Once installed, you are not even allowed to run the app without either upgrading to personal or trying free for 7days which asks for credit card info and starts payment automatically after the 7 days is up.

I agree that this feels like a hostage situation!!

11 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you have more than 50 notes and 1 notebook you still have access to your notes on two devices.  One of them needs to be a desktop so that you can export your notebooks to ENEX, HTML or PDF.  No hostages here...

Export notes and notebooks

I have 216 Notebooks and 1573 notes.... it's a lot of manual work. I need an automated way to do it.

• Level 5

So - you need it ….

Thats an average of 8 notes per notebook. Using the Backup project you get 216 ENEX files.

And then ?

Oh, now you need an automatic way to import them …

Know what: Buy a month of Personal and organize your notes in a reasonable way. Apply tags where you (mis-)used notebooks to organize. Tags will export.

And then stuff everything into say 20 notebooks.

These you can handle manually, out and more important in as well.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, peddyua said:

I can delete few notebooks here and there but there is no way I can reorganize them into 20. thx for the effort.

You could if you wanted. I run more notes than you do (a lot more …), and work with 40 notebooks in total. Many of these are only needed because they are shared, working as a shared directory with others.

The answer is to use tags instead of nitty bitty little notebooks,

Because your problem is not only exporting. You would need the same effort to import the 200 ENEX files to another app. I think it makes more sense to properly organize them, and export after stripping the number of notebooks down.

I switched to Apple Notes and so far am happy. There will be more functionality coming to apple Notes too. However, I'm sure that Apple will pull an "Evernote" when they evaluate and start charging for notes. Happy Friday and so long Evernote!

30 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you feel that you need their services,  the subscriptions are available online.  If you don't believe that the service is worth the cost...

I think they should have a maintenance level service that allows you to make notes, maybe $1-2/month (payable yearly?) very barebones level, but allows the continuation of notes. Evernote is worth paying for but for the occasional user it would be nice if they had a lower price entry point. The lowest pay level they have is still over $100. If you had the lower entry point you could hold on the fringe users that may someday jump back in at a higher monthy subscription point when there is a need for the additional services. Evernote is a very nice way to take notes but it would be nice if there was a more flexible plan. 

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, John Behring said:

it would be nice if there was a more flexible plan. 

Agreed,  but currently there is not.  We're mainly other users here,  so by all means feed your thoughts back to Evernote (many already have,  I'm sure.)  They're still however changing many of the basic support systems to work much better than they do now,  so developing another product is probably the last thing they'll contemplate for a while.

Feedback@Evernote.com 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually while this discussion is ongoing, EN is actively phasing out the grandfathered subscriptions that has been in that price range.

The likelihood of a new "flexible" plan is practically zero.

• Like 1

I think Bending Spoons is banking on it being easier to retain 1 person paying €100, than 10 people paying €10 -- plus this is way easier to support. (And we see them struggling with support now. Maybe once hundreds of thousands of people migrate away that weren't paying, it will be less of a load on support. Perhaps that is part of their support restructuring plan. 🤪)

As free users of a product we might think "surely, I would pay a few euros/dollars/pounds a month so why is Evernote leaving this money on the table!?"

But then how many Personal/Professional subscribers could also drop down to that same lower tier -- more than a few I would guess. (I believe this is why the old Evernote team ended the Plus plan for new users -- and you couldn't change to it from a different tier either.)

If I could pay a few euros a month to have Evernote on multiple devices, then I would probably drop down to a lower tier. I don't need a lot of storage or anything, I just need Evernote on multiple devices. So I personally could see myself dropping to a lower tier, but since there isn't one to drop down to, I keep paying the premium €€€.

• Like 2

Absolutely, it makes sense. I've been a regular employee (as opposed to a contractor or small business owner) for quite some time now. I used to enjoy going into my Evernote about once a month to add an interesting note related to the type of work I do. But now, I can't even do that. I guess I'm part of the excess being trimmed to simplify Evernote's support job. On the positive side, I no longer need to worry about logging in to create a note just to keep my Evernote feeling relevant. 😅

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Once a month I would define as "featherlight use". So either you get rid of some old notes, or it's the end of the journey here.

On the other hand: Cheer up - 50 notes is 4 years of notes in your use case, when creating one per month. We will see what happens until 2028.

I'm okay, just realized Evernote left the SF Bay Area, I think I'm done with Evernote. Plus, I use mostly OneNote for my note taking now since I have Microsoft365, and will continue to have it for the foreseeable future.

• Level 5

??? Local patriot, that is ? You think the Italians can make cheese and wine, but no software ?

From the many reasons why to use EN or not this had never crossed my mind: Geographic preferences. BTW the main dev team since a long time was located in Chile.

• Level 5

Actually we are casually discussing life in general and at the Bay Area. Don’t make me angry by mentioning sunshine  - when I look out of the window, I see the next snow carrying clouds moving in 😂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a shame change not handled at all well. I've been an Evernote user since April 2008 and seen lots of changes from when Evernote were the king / unicorn of notetaking space to now. Skitch, Scannable and Food were all great products but when the applications weren't consistent or even available across platforms I no longer could see the value in subscribing to paid premium subscription.

These days the Evernote personal subscription is even more expensive than Microsoft 365 Family subscription here in the UK.  Microsoft 365 Family however includes access for 6 users to all the office applications on 5 devices each (both PC & mobile) as well as 1TB of cloud storage per user.  

Evernote lost their way years and years ago.  After pursuing growth at all costs they have tried numerous times to increase revenue by removing previously included features for free users.

I've no idea why they didn't add new features that people would actually pay for into the premium version as well as developing an enterprise version for mid to large companies where they could charge even more for.

Things like pen support, transcription of audio notes, sync to google & Microsoft so you can search emails docs. 

I can see why so many people people are annoyed.  When an organisation keeps changing their minds a paying client loses trust that the organisation is focussed on what is good for the users and are more interested in squeezing more money from the people that are left.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, Graham UK said:

When an organisation keeps changing their minds

Evernote now has new owners.  They have a clear intention of being paid for their services.  The 'free' app is now a trial,  not a continuing free lunch...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Graham UK You say you like apps that are long on hold or abandoned. You say you want features that are not and never have been available.

You don’t tell much about what EN does (and does it pretty well, at least for me).

Plus you don’t like the price point.

My conclusion would be: That’s the wrong app for what I need. So choose another, pick up your data and move on for happier days.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Graham UK said:

These days the Evernote personal subscription is even more expensive than Microsoft 365 Family subscription here in the UK.  Microsoft 365 Family however includes access for 6 users to all the office applications on 5 devices each (both PC & mobile) as well as 1TB of cloud storage per user.  

I have both, but I get much more value from EN.  Microsoft 365 Family have different Apps none of which are remotely comparable. 

• Like 2

@PinkElephant @bmcl26 I get it I'm actually really interested to see what Evernote does so well for you that it's worth paying for?  I'm curious perhaps I'm missing something that I haven't seen or maybe it's something I know about that I'm not using. 

In the last several years I've primarily been using Evernote to store reference information which is useful but something that's Google Keep and Onenote can do as well.

The price point isn't the issue I happily pay over £100 a month for LinkedIn Sales Navigator because I get value from it. 

I understand that Evernote needs to make a profit and BS are quietly hoping enough of the Evernote free users upgrade to a paid version to keep the lights on.  It seems like they don't make it exactly easy to migrate your data off Evernote so it may just work.

Is there an easy way to download load all of my data from Evernote. Other companies like, LinkedIn, Google, Facebook etc have a simple way you can request a copy of your data and you get an email with links to download everything.

All I can find is that you have to install an old version of the Evernote software which may stop working at any point. By the way that's another reason why I'm deciding to not upgrade to paid.  After a year I may not be even able to download the 12,000 or so notes I have in Evernote from over the  years.  That may not be the case so please correct me if there is a hassle free way to get your notes off Evernote.

• Like 1