Rolling out Evernote desktop 10.61

I have the AI option available which I have not enabled.  The search result pop-up screen seems to be broken.  It longer shows notes titles or Tags having the containing the search term.

image.png.6a2f6c699cc81c24ee4a1f8de05a403a.png

I used to have this as a result which is much more useful

image.png.7b6c1391f1ea057b92f3f3f574d9f78d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I think, when it rolled out, a blue new feature flash will apear alongside the search box in the sidebar. The AI stuff will be like the AI Cleanup. It will be optional and you opt in if you want it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I think, when it rolled out, a blue new feature flash will apear alongside the search box in the sidebar. The AI stuff will be like the AI Cleanup. It will be optional and you opt in if you want it.

Exactly.  You have to opt in.  There are also modifications to the terms of service involved.

Vinnie

• Level 5

But how is it done? Is the content of my notes shipped off to a third-party AI engine, or does Evernote have one in house? If third-party, which one? What privacy or non=privacy policies am I implicitly agreeing to by opting in to AI search? If third-party, is the content of my notes being fed into that engine as part of its overall storehouse and training, or is Evernote use segregated? If the answer is "segregated"--why should I believe it?

@Federico Simionato, the questions are FAR TOO IMPORTANT and concerning for us to be given zero information about AI-Powered Search beyond the puffery of "Simply ask a question and AI-Powered Search will immediately give you a direct and succinct written answer based on the content of your notes." How does it work and what are we agreeing to if we enable it?

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert

You see them when you come to the point choosing whether to opt in or not.

The opt-in is very similar to the AI Cleanup. The information is provided and you can decide to go ahead or not. If you decide not then you continue to use the standard search that you've always known.

You can dismiss the opt in dialogue permanently or leave it opt in each time you choose to go ahead.

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

You see them when you come to the point choosing whether to opt in or not.

The opt-in is very similar to the AI Cleanup. The information is provided and you can decide to go ahead or not. If you decide not then you continue to use the standard search that you've always known.

You can dismiss the opt in dialogue permanently or leave it opt in each time you choose to go ahead.

Thanks for this. This strikes me as such a significant move that the TOS changes ought to be made available more publicly. And once opted in, can you opt back out? And if you do, is your material removed from the AI engine/server/silo/whatever?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

The data isn't stored in the AI engine for longer than needed to do your search. You opt in when you use the AI Search on a case by case basis.

I think the Comms will start once the roll out goes beyond the initial 10% of users.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

It seems I belong to the lucky 10%. 

AI search is completely opt in (nothing will happen if you don’t positively decide to use it). The information about data usage is comprehensive. There is more information available if wanted.

From my point of view anybody can take an informed decision to use AI supported search, or to stay with the traditional EN search.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But how is it done? Is the content of my notes shipped off to a third-party AI engine, or does Evernote have one in house? If third-party, which one?

Can anyone provide comment on this question?

• Like 1
  • Level 5
43 minutes ago, agsteele said:

The data isn't stored in the AI engine for longer than needed to do your search. You opt in when you use the AI Search on a case by case basis.

@agsteele, thank you for this. So if I'm hearing you right, whenever I would choose to do an AI search, all my data would be uploaded to the AI engine, the search would be done, and the data would be removed from the engine. Sounds very intensive and repetitive. When I get the option, I may look into it. But I don't recall having searches I couldn't just do as usual and get what I want. Of course, if I could reliably recall things like that I wouldn't need AI searching....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

all my data would be uploaded to the AI engine

No. It won't have all-access to your data. They're planning to explain how it works when its rolled out  but there's no kind of pipeline into your notes, its much more selective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

As I understand it, the „classical“ search makes a preselection based on the search parameters. This is then presented to the AI filter, which returns a refined and maybe better sorted final search result.

When I tested it, it gave the results back with a „term 1 OR term 2 OR term 3“ search string - which is not what I had entered. So it seems AI took the initial search parameters, and refined it into a sort of Boolean request.

Just an observation, what it really does will only show after some extensive testing - and if the results are really superior to a classical search.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As I understand it, the „classical“ search makes a preselection based on the search parameters. This is then presented to the AI filter, which returns a refined and maybe better sorted final search result.

When I tested it, it gave the results back with a „term 1 OR term 2 OR term 3“ search string - which is not what I had entered. So it seems AI took the initial search parameters, and refined it into a sort of Boolean request.

Just an observation, what it really does will only show after some extensive testing - and if the results are really superior to a classical search.

Same here. Not much AI in that 🤔 Evernote "classical" search is working better!

• Like 1

I think if those of you who have questions take the time to read the terms of service before you opt in, a lot of your questions will be answered.  And if you're not happy with the information Evernote provides or the revised terms, don't use AI search.  BTW, there are links to more general terms of service not related to AI search.  I hadn't read them before but I did this time.  It's worth the time, IMO.  For example, I encounter nondisclosure agreements in my consulting work. The Evernote terms say, do not put confidential info subject to an NDA on their service.  Makes sense now that I think about it, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to worry about it before.

Vinnie

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
17 hours ago, MatTom1998 said:

Hi there, "I'm sure you are aware that there are a number of functions that don't work in the store versions." - Could you mention some examples, please?

Off the top of my head, I can only recall the ability to change the location of Evernote data at the moment. I'd have to do some research to come up with other things.

Basically, the store versions run inside a sandbox. So interaction with the OS is sometimes restricted.

I think @PinkElephant is likely to have better memory than me...

Still scratchpad is not working in the latest release (10.61.10-win-ddl-public)

Still deleted entries are appearing , then I delete it and after a while it shows up again!! and this is constant!!

Not sure if this is related with the mobile app issues in the latest release

20 hours ago, Jon/t said:

No. It won't have all-access to your data. They're planning to explain how it works when its rolled out  but there's no kind of pipeline into your notes, its much more selective.

If it doesn't have all access to the data, is it more processing the query string then (natural language, synonyms etc) ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, eric99 said:

If it doesn't have all access to the data, is it more processing the query string then (natural language, synonyms etc) ?

I think the worry some folk have is that there's a live connection between Ai and notes, like all-in access to everything. Its not going to work like that.

They'll be explaining exactly how it works when it launches properly.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you tested with natural language queries to see which query it is translated into by the AI? Typos and the use of synonyms are also an interesting test.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Have you tested with natural language queries to see which query it is translated into by the AI? Typos and the use of synonyms are also an interesting test.

Yeah. Tried lots of different queries and also been using it in real world situations. Not tried typos yet but will give that a go.

I think for the folks who use it a lot they will end up creating more descriptive notes so the Ai knows what we mean a little better.

• Haha 1
On 9/11/2023 at 3:34 AM, Federico Simionato said:

@Sarah Jeans 

For missing content issues anybody should please DM me:

• Note URL of some affected notes
  • Client logs (Help > Activity Logs > Save As...)
  • Timestamp (what time did this happen, more or less?)

Just happened again, in the .7 point release. Tried to open a PDF in a note that was first created five years ago, after an error message and flashing dialog boxes that opened and closed too quickly to read, the PDF eventually opened, but it deleted itself from my note, leaving the below:

image.png.dea8152650bc3203ffe19023af0e7a20.png

Are there any bug fixes between .7 and .10 to address this issue? Because this is frankly getting a little tiresome. This is a more sensitive than average note, so I'm not inclined to send over that URL and logs this time, unfortunately.

Since this happened my Evernote, auto updated to the .10 release, but that didn't bring the note attachment back. Fortunately, I saved it separately and will be able to replace it myself.

• Sad 1
On 9/2/2023 at 12:08 AM, agsteele said:

I've never seen this particular error. It may well be that you have some damages to your local data. If it becomes too much of a nuisance you could try rebuilding your data. File, Sign Out, Remove you data. Reboot your computer and log in. The data will be reconstructed. The process takes some time but you can use Evernote while it is going on.

I think I finally have an answer as to the cause of the (still happening) "Permission Lost" error: 
     The error occurs in saved searches where "notebook:" is specified. 
         Whenever a notebook is selected, the filter form does not allow the "located in" option so when I'm in a notebook and use a saved search that uses that notebook, I get the "Permission Lost" error

I can work around this problem but it  is a bit messy because I often edit notes within a notebook and then do different selections on the notebook.

• Like 1

New problem with recurring tasks from Monday September 18th: Title in recurring tasks duplicates several times for some tasks. 
Show up in Evernote Web and Evernote Desktop as well.
Evernote Android v. 10.54 (1209248)
Evernote Web v 10.61.10 web 20230912133353. Edit (?): v176.8.0. Service (?): v1.72.12
Evernote Desktop 10.61.10.

• Like 1
On 9/17/2023 at 1:41 PM, laurence.glazier said:

It still occasionally happens to me, and just did so. In my case it was a Saved Search using a tag:this -tag:that type of filter. It does not always happen though - it's rare.

I think it occurs more than a "rare" case and it depends on how you use saved searches while in a specific notebook.

If you select a notebook from the Notes list, and look at the "add filters" function, you will see that the "located in" is no longer an option.

When in this state, if you use a SAVED search that specifies a "notebook:" in the search spec, when you invoke the search, you'll get the "permissions" error.

For me, I use saved searches a LOT and now I think the problem is reproducible and occurs in more than a "rare" case.

I'm hoping that others can reproduce the problem as well. 

I've also re-opened a previously closed ticket regarding this issue.

I'm at the latest release of the desktop app for Windows.

Thanks.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, amInMarina said:

I think it occurs more than a "rare" case and it depends on how you use saved searches while in a specific notebook.

If you select a notebook from the Notes list, and look at the "add filters" function, you will see that the "located in" is no longer an option.

When in this state, if you use a SAVED search that specifies a "notebook:" in the search spec, when you invoke the search, you'll get the "permissions" error.

For me, I use saved searches a LOT and now I think the problem is reproducible and occurs in more than a "rare" case.

I'm hoping that others can reproduce the problem as well. 

I've also re-opened a previously closed ticket regarding this issue.

I'm at the latest release of the desktop app for Windows.

Thanks.

I just tested this. I reproduced it, although my saved search does not specify a notebook, it is simply "-tag:#done" to list what things are still to be done.

Curiously, if a stack is selected rather than a notebook. the issue does not happen.