Beware - 'Update' deletes Legacy and replaces it with Evernote 10.16

29 minutes ago, pansovic said:

but I was under the impression that the Windows version is a copy of the browser version without a local database.

Windows and Mac have a copy of all data stored on your hard drive in case of wifi going down or like me traveling a lot. You can use EN offline and then once reconnected sync the changes to the cloud. You can't do "local only" notebooks in version 10 but it does keep all your notes on your hard drive.

The desktop version also has more functionality like import folders and export functionality.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Windows and Mac have a copy of all data stored on your hard drive in case of wifi going down or like me traveling a lot. You can use EN offline and then once reconnected sync the changes to the cloud. You can't do "local only" notebooks in version 10 but it does keep all your notes on your hard drive.

The desktop version also has more functionality like import folders and export functionality.

and where can I find that folder on my computer? Is that perhaps this one: C:\Users\tiana\AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalCache\Roaming\Evernote\databases-off-the-record

The only reason why I want to have the Windows version is for the shortcut Windows+Shift+F, which brings me automatically to the search within EN. Apparently, there are no shortcuts in the browser version.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pansovic said:

I am currently using version 10.58.8

I believe there's a 10.59 version around somewhere,  but why is this an issue?  What was your personal  experience and why cant we get transports?

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I believe there's a 10.59 version around somewhere,  but why is this an issue?  What was your personal  experience and why cant we get transports?

What do you mean by "transports"? The version is not an issue. PinkElephant told me that my problem is either due to an old version or a corrupted local database. I have one of the latest versions, so the problem is a corrupted database. Now I am trying to find where that local database is located to understand what I really have stored.

• Evernote Expert

Before answering your question it would be helpful to know which version of Evernote you have. In particular is it the direct download or the Windows store version.

23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are jumping topics - no arguments on 1), OK, let's open 2).

Not a sound strategy, but OK.

I just tried to open notes, going down the list, 2023, 2021, 2019, and so on. Sizes were up to 165MB, holding attachments, web clips, regular content. The longest wait on the 165MB was below 10 seconds - on notes I am pretty sure I had not touched since RTE launched, so they needed conversion before displaying. The usual wait was between 1 and 3 seconds. Notes that had already been opened before usually open in an instant.

This indicates for me: You have either not the latest client (10.59.5, 10.58.8 should do as well), or you have a corrupted local database, that is slowing everything down.

To rebuild it from the server, you need to make a clean uninstall first. A clean uninstall is one that removes settings and data as well. To perform it, use an app like Revo Un installer (for Windows). Make sure all program parts are selected, then uninstall. Restart the PC, then download the latest version from the EN website, open, log in. It will draw an initial load of data (notes and metadata) from the server. Let the app running, because it will need time to download everything, including attachments, for offline use.

where can I download the lastest version

9 hours ago, pansovic said:

and where can I find that folder on my computer?

I think(?) it depends if you install from the Windows store or direct but you can find out in version 10.59.5 (latest version) by going to settings --> preferences --> Application --> Advanced. You can also change the location of where your data is stored.

I'm at ...AppData/Roaming/Evernote.

There is no single database. Everything Evernote needs is stored as individual files so this folder can have many sub folders and files inside it depending on how many notes you have.

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, pansovic said:

I have the 10.58, but I don't know from where I downloaded it. 

The location of your data directory depends on whether you have the direct download or the store version. In the help menu choose About Evernote.  It will provide details similar to this:

10.59.5-win-ddl-public (5236)

ddl = direct download

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

AFAIK the UID is maintained on the server.

No. I checked it once more: EN10 creates UIDs completely on Client site. It's not rocket science: If You take unique information from your local computer hardware (network card id and clock), every client on this world can create unique UIDs.

In EN10, you can go offline (remove LAN cable and disable WLAN), create a note, get it's internal link address and insert it to an other note.

In Legacy, you cannot create internal links when beeing offline 😞

10 hours ago, AlbertR said:

No. I checked it once more: EN10 creates UIDs completely on Client site. It's not rocket science: If You take unique information from your local computer hardware (network card id and clock), every client on this world can create unique UIDs.

In EN10, you can go offline (remove LAN cable and disable WLAN), create a note, get it's internal link address and insert it to an other note.

In Legacy, you cannot create internal links when beeing offline 😞

" using Legacy as long as V10 fails to replace Legacy's functionality. See here for reasons..." - That's a fantastic list! Thank you for sharing. I want to add a table-related issue when adding attachments in a cell. You can only adjust the table's width as desired when the attachment is a picture. However, if you add a PDF, Word document, or other file, you can't adjust the table width like in the Legacy version.

When merging several cells and then adding another line below, it adopts the same format as the line above. However, this differs from V10, where you must create the format from scratch each time.

I am baffled that we are still not on the Legacy level after years. The issues are known, so why not copy it and move on to improve it once done? 

• Level 5

There is no goal to „get at legacy level“. What would that be, anyhow ? The legacy clients were different from each other, the one lacking stuff the other had, and vice versa.

v10 is a new app design, in it’s own right. If it supports your use cases, fine. If not, go watching for a better alternative.

And stop the nostalgia, it’s childish. The world keeps spinning, and if EN would have remained on legacy, the world would already be spinning without an EN company.

• Sad 1

PinkElephant Your comment is completely tone-deaf!

"v10 is a new app design, in it’s own right"

The DESIGN is not the issue - it's the functionality!

EverNote supported a specific range of functions that got users to pay for their product and service and store gigantic archives of information in the EverNote database - in my case, being a very early adopter, more than 26'000 notes.

The very least the existing customer base could expect is that EVERY update gives them full access to their data with the same comfort and speed as the previous versions.

Improvements would obviously have been welcome, but changes that imply the loss of information or access to information were a complete no-go for EverNote.

"If it supports your use cases, fine. If not, go watching for a better alternative"

This was already established in what EverNote supported. It's as if you said that a phone manufacturer could just cut out the ability to make phone calls, in a system software update and pretend tell their clients "If you need to make phone calls in the future, find a different phone".

"And stop the nostalgia, it’s childish"

The only childish thing here is your ridiculous comment! 

"Nostalgia"? 

Wanting AT LEAST the same speed to access my data as before has nothing to do with "nostalgia". We have EVIDENCE that it is possible to access all our information really fast, in V6, so why is V10 substantially much slower?

Wanting to access ALL my images (tens of thousands of them) without any problem, as in V6, with a simple "Ctrl-C" or "Copy" function, is not "nostalgia. In V10 I have to OPEN the image in an external application (double-click the image), a process that often fails entirely or imposes a huge delay (can be 30 seconds to a minute). It doesn't work at all for images within what V10 sees as HTML code, so I have to change the formatting to "not HTML" and then, maybe, I can open the image.

There are obvious resource management / garbage collection issues, as every so often, I have to shut down and re-start EN or it simply won't open images at all. The process typically involves double-clicking an image (even one I opened recently), not getting ANY feedback, then finally giving up, shutting down & restarting EN & finding that the image loads immediately in the external app, from where I can access it.

Why can't I access it as I used to under V6? Why is it now such a problem when before it was INSTANTANEOUS?

"The world keeps spinning, and if EN would have remained on legacy, the world would already be spinning without an EN company"

That's a ridiculous claim: you are saying that EN would not have the existing user base if it had NOT made the application so much worse?

There's not a single function from V10 that I missed in Legacy to the point where I would have wanted to change. Everything that I actually needed was working extremely well.

No, I cannot find an alternative - there is no alternative and the work of moving 26'000+ notes to another platform, if one existed, would be horrendous, probably introducing errors to the data, badly re-formatting the data etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

1) You completely misunderstand the word "design". It is not the nice chichi of the GUI, it is the technical design about that I reflected.

2) The rest I don't find worth commenting in detail - you have written an obituary for a piece of code abandoned long ago. It was already dead when it was not officially deprecated, hardly keeping up with the regular OS updates. New features were unheard of for some years before it was officially deprecated in 2020. In a rapidly diversifying market segment this is not enough even to stay in the market for long.

You should only say nice things on funerals, but honestly: The legacy clients ruined the company that offered them. All we have today is a direct consequence of their failure to evolve.

• Like 1
On 7/23/2023 at 2:27 AM, janndk said:

I just realized that the "Check for Updates" function is inaccurate, as it did not find the 10.59 version. It told me that I'm "up to date". Now I find that V10.59 adds a fundamental option which should have been a basic feature from day 1: the ability to move EverNote data to a specific directory. I always hated having it on the Windows System drive. Why use up 50 to 100GB of system drive space for what is actually data? Data should always reside on a different drive, so the OS & the applications can be backed up separately from the user data. 
This is the kind of issue that always made me wonder how those who design software actually work on their own systems? Don't they have multiple drives? Don't they keep data and applications apart? All those simple best-practice features that should be absolute no-brainers.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 minutes ago, Amadeus3 said:

I just realized that the "Check for Updates" function is inaccurate, as it did not find the 10.59 version. It told me that I'm "up to date".

This has long been a feature of the updates, as they are rolled out gradually, not to all users at once. But be cautious about jumping to v. 10.59. In this and the following posts in a long thread, there are indications of quite a few problems with it?:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

1) You completely misunderstand the word "design". It is not the nice chichi of the GUI, it is the technical design about that I reflected.

2) The rest I don't find worth commenting in detail - you have written an obituary for a piece of code abandoned long ago. It was already dead when it was not officially deprecated, hardly keeping up with the regular OS updates. New features were unheard of for some years before it was officially deprecated in 2020. In a rapidly diversifying market segment this is not enough even to stay in the market for long.

You should only say nice things on funerals, but honestly: The legacy clients ruined the company that offered them. All we have today is a direct consequence of their failure to evolve.

PinkElephant, either EN is paying you a ton of money to defend this software, or you are not a user of EN. Please take a look at the attached video. Today, I encountered a problem with a simple copy/paste on the Windows version. I couldn't copy and paste a simple word. Eventually, I solved it by restarting the Windows version. However, as you can see in the video, I can easily copy the same word from the browser version. I'm also showing why Windows couldn't copy, as it considered the text an image (preview = vista previa min 0.58). Why? I have no clue. This level of frustration is unacceptable. And then you talk about nostalgia. We need a tool that allows us to be productive, not one that wastes half an hour trying to figure out why copy/paste isn't working. I would love to throw Legacy out the window, but that would not be very smart since I need access to my notes. After countless updates, we still can't trust a simple copy/paste function. It's ridiculously frustrating. There is so much potential for improvement in Legacy, but we can't even think about that if essential functions like copy/paste don't work correctly. I can't fully express how angry I am at you and version 10. It feels like we have wasted so much time on this, and it's nothing but a source of frustration. You have no clue what you are talking about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Do you represent Evernote? If not, then why are you writing all these ridiculously stupid comments that only alienate the users?

"1) You completely misunderstand the word "design". It is not the nice chichi of the GUI, it is the technical design about that I reflected."

I most definitely do understand the term "design", YOU are the person is apparently unable to read written text!

I said:

The DESIGN is not the issue - it's the functionality!

You do understand the difference between "design" and "functionality", right? I don't care how they designed the application, as long as it provides the functionality I need and that includes the absence of serious bugs and the response time. Waiting several seconds or even minutes to access a single image is not acceptable. Failing to return data entirely is a catastrophic failure.

I just installed V10.59, which finally allowed me to re-locate the database. But oh horror, it has serious bugs which force me to re-start the application after every search!

WTF is wrong with those developers? How can they release such buggy code? That was never the case with any version up to and including V6, which had clearly a superior design!

The absolute MINIMUM Evernote should have done is to address all the serious issues and THE most important one, from the first release of V10, was access to text and image data. When the access to the data is not working, then there's no point in using the application.

That was NEVER a problem with V6 or any version before that. You call it "Legacy", I call it EVERNOTE as it was supposed to work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This has long been a feature of the updates, as they are rolled out gradually, not to all users at once. But be cautious about jumping to v. 10.59. In this and the following posts in a long thread, there are indications of quite a few problems with it?

The thread has grown really long, didn't manage to keep up with everything, but yes, I already noticed some issues... The relocation of the database was really essential and 10.59 is now the default download. They do have serious quality management issues...

• Like 1
On 7/22/2023 at 10:34 PM, Jon/t said:

Before they re-introduced support for a local copy of the data, I would never even have considered working with V10. I find it extremely regrettable that they abandoned local-only notebooks.

So many design decisions don't make any sense at all...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The local database was there from the very first release of v10.

If you believed it didn’t exist, you have been malinformed.

The only source of malinformation here is you, once again. Maybe you just refrain from replying, as you never said anything even remotely useful.

You intentionally confuse the "local database" used for synching data and the stand-alone local database that supported the use of Evernote while offline!

You know PERFECTLY that I was referring to the offline use of Evernote V10. The option of keeping all the data locally was only added in a specific version, it was NOT in the first release!

• Level 5*
Just now, Amadeus3 said:

The option of keeping all the data locally was only added in a specific version, it was NOT in the first release!

As far as I know offline working has been around since day 1. 

Since tempers are getting a little heated around here,  please can we remember that we are all users of the app,  and are supposed to be sharing ways to fix or work around issues rather than blaming each other for their existence?

I'll return to my usual mantra,  which is:  if things don't work,  tell Support.  If you can't use the app because of an issue,  find an alternative.  But lets play nice.

• Thanks 3
  • Level 5

Correct, offline use is by design a feature of the v10 desktop apps from day 1. The way how this app works was from the first release through a local copy, downloaded to the system drive. The concept was there with the initial release, and it was never changed since.

After installation it takes a little (depending on account size and internet speed, in my case roughly 4 days) to download everything, but after this has happened, a full copy of the data is on the local drive. It is not entirely readable without the app, but that’s not necessary when using the client to open the notes while offline.

Since I often travel by train and use this offline data, having a full copy was important to me, and I made good use of it.

What @Amadeus3 told in his above reply is just uninformed and wrong. There is nothing more to say about it.

So I tried V.10.59 and it turned out to be an absolute DISASTER. It was impossible to use. 

After EVERY search, it was impossible to launch a new search. Resetting the search options and entering new criteria always returned the results from the previous search. The I typically got the message "Rights to [notebook] lost" or some so.

Had to RESTART Evernote for every new search.

Unbearable.

So I re-installed V.10.58, which works fairly well, but Evernote insisted on installing the 10.59 update immediately! 😡😡😡

I had to remove all rights from the update directory so Evernotes could not install and launch the update files and I can continue to work with 10.58.

How in the world could such CATASTROPHIC bugs slip into an official release version? 

And why does Evernote not support the option of PREVENTING an update?

• Level 5

Yeah, it seems they have a shaky QA lately.

To prevent auto-updating you need to edit 2 .json files. Since you believe you get no useful facts from me, I will not create an intellectually challenging situation here. So I will only bother you with the information that you can find the necessary input through a forum search. 

3 minutes ago, Amadeus3 said:

So I tried V.10.59 and it turned out to be an absolute DISASTER. It was impossible to use. 

After EVERY search, it was impossible to launch a new search. Resetting the search options and entering new criteria always returned the results from the previous search. The I typically got the message "Rights to [notebook] lost" or some so.

Had to RESTART Evernote for every new search.

Unbearable.

So I re-installed V.10.58, which works fairly well, but Evernote insisted on installing the 10.59 update immediately! 😡😡😡

I had to remove all rights from the update directory so Evernotes could not install and launch the update files and I can continue to work with 10.58.

How in the world could such CATASTROPHIC bugs slip into an official release version? 

And why does Evernote not support the option of PREVENTING an update?

I'm pleased that I'm not alone in this endeavor. While Legacy is a powerhouse when it comes to productivity, the V10 is suitable for amateurs. Quite a shame to say the least. 

• Level 5

I always enjoy these postings, because what they really say is:

I am a productivity hero, because v10 can’t support my frantic efficiency powerhouse.
Everybody who is able to use it is a minor creature, hardly able to live a selfsustained life in inefficient misery.

A psychologist would call this Self-Affirmation. And it tells more about the poster than about his abilities, not to mention his judgement qualities. Oh, sweet illusion …

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I always enjoy these postings, because what they really say is:

I am a productivity hero, because v10 can’t support my frantic efficiency powerhouse.
Everybody who is able to use it is a minor creature, hardly able to live a selfsustained life in inefficient misery.

A psychologist would call this Self-Affirmation. And it tells more about the poster than about his abilities, not to mention his judgement qualities. Oh, sweet illusion …

Can someone remove PinkElephant from this forum? His comments are insulting and do not provide any added value.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Has anyone getting the 'access to notebook lost' messages tried just running the same search on everything rather than limiting it to one notebook?  I had a couple of 'access lost' glitches,  but was still able to find the note I needed by switching the search.  No restarts necessary...

To be precise, after the first search, resetting the search let to a situation where I could not even select tags or terms in the dropdown menu. They were no longer accessible! It had nothing to do with the notebook. The search became simply non-operative. Works fine in V.10.58. So they really messed up V.10.59. Lousy testing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert
12 minutes ago, sallly struthers said:

Yes, I want Legacy on my system as long as it's available.

You'll be relieved to know that you can reinstall if you wish. The download link has been shared in other threads and even earlier in this particular thread.

16 hours ago, sallly struthers said:

Just tried to open Legacy to find that the new installer does indeed uninstall it

Yes, but it's not a big problem. Local data and its location is not removed. After you re-install it ([*] - I suggest to hold a local copy of it), you may have to re-adjust minor settings (default font and similar) to continue work as usual after some minutes...

Edited by AlbertR
[*] I'm sorry - I mentioned a direct download address here. But a "forum-bot" seems to remove the link everytime I re-inserted it ;-)
17 hours ago, agsteele said:

You'll be relieved to know that you can reinstall if you wish. The download link has been shared in other threads and even earlier in this particular thread.

I've already reinstalled, and thank you for pointing out that there's a link. 

8 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Yes, but it's not a big problem. Local data and its location is not removed. After you re-install it ( - I suggest to hold a local copy of it), you may have to re-adjust minor settings (default font and similar) to continue work as usual after some minutes...

You're right — effectively, it's not a big problem. That EN decided to silently (I don't recall the installer notifying me that it was removing a program) uninstall Legacy, a separate program, is absolutely a problem. I've read forum responses about why EN is doing it, and I still think how they implemented that decision is completely unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, AlbertR said:

But a "forum-bot" seems to remove the link everytime I re-inserted it 😉

Hmmn.  Wasn't me,  honest!

2 hours ago, sallly struthers said:

I still think how they implemented that decision is completely unacceptable.

It's actually standard practice for updates to uninstall previous versions of the software to provide a clean install - but in most cases they're not doing a complete UX change.  We're mostly users here,  but if you want to express your concerns, reach out to Support!

• Level 5

The database from a legacy install can easily take up 20-30 GB on the system drive. This is 10% of everything on a small, and still 5% of everything on a medium sized SSD. When the app is removed, this data is orphaned, laying in an obscured directory and would be blocking disk space eternally.

NOT removing it would be irresponsible - since the new install will add the same data volume again, butting a more modern, not compatible structure. By removing it, the total disk usage of EN is kept at the same level. That’s what I was expect as a user.

It I want legacy back, and have enough space left, I can always reinstall the app after I upgraded. This will create a new „old“ database from the server, but for the price of doubling the space needed.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's actually standard practice for updates to uninstall previous versions of the software to provide a clean install - but in most cases they're not doing a complete UX change.  We're mostly users here,  but if you want to express your concerns, reach out to Support!

Yes, I do understand this is a users forum. Hence my "futile rant post" acknowledgment. :) I also understand uninstalling previous versions as standard practice. However, Legacy has a different use case (IMO, or perhaps just my usage and those who actively used Legacy) due to the evolution of the software. Part of what I find unacceptable is that EN silently changed the behavior of the updater by adding an action that eliminates access to a user interface.

22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The database from a legacy install can easily take up 20-30 GB on the system drive. This is 10% of everything on a small, and still 5% of everything on a medium sized SSD. When the app is removed, this data is orphaned, laying in an obscured directory and would be blocking disk space eternally.

NOT removing it would be irresponsible - since the new install will add the same data volume again, butting a more modern, not compatible structure. By removing it, the total disk usage of EN is kept at the same level. That’s what I was expect as a user.

It I want legacy back, and have enough space left, I can always reinstall the app after I upgraded. This will create a new „old“ database from the server, but for the price of doubling the space needed.

I hear your point. It seems to only apply to completely new installations (i.e. Legacy without current version), since Legacy / current version dual users would have already had that drive space allocated. I use both, and so Legacy data was not orphaned or obscured, but actively used — as was the space for the current version (unless I misunderstand how Legacy and current version are stored). Removing Legacy without notification only removed the interface that allowed me to access my data.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

You have a checklist, partially or fully checked. You want the same checklist, pristine. 

You select it, as it is. You click on the checklist icon to undo the checklist - all checkmarks are gone. You click a second time on the checklist icon - TaDaaa - you have an empty checklist with the same checkpoints as before.

The use of checkboxes for checklists is not supported any more.

• Level 5
47 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Simple things expand or contract the market according to use cases.

They are squeezing me out.

But evidently not a whole lot of other people, if it's still not a priority after 6 support tickets. Use cases is the key, as you say.

• Level 5

@fuchsfr The dude says, yes, seriously.

If you want anything different, it means somebody needs to code a solution just for you (and a few others) - the feature request was not really up-upvoted.

The dude says, this may happen, but it doesn’t look very likely.

Now feel hugged or squeezed (the difference between the two is more the intention than the action).

• 2 weeks later...

Switching to Joplin and got most of my notes across fairly seemlessly and it's similar enough to legacy and dissimilar enough to the random, unstable and constantly whining for subscription other Evernotes to being looking good so far.

From user forums it has no history of the random, radical and unstable changes that mark  Evernotes zig zag constantly experimental  path too so that's the main hope.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a long time, basic user of Evernote. I've paid for premium some of that time, but often just used the free service.

My needs are very basic - mostly text notes/sometimes images/webclips, filed in an orderly referenceable manner, easily/quickly searchable, ,synced between phone/laptop.

I am very happy with the basic features I used in Evernote Legacy, whereas the newer version lacks the ability to turn off formatting and I can't get rid of checklists. I reverted back quickly after the forced upgrade. It meets all my needs and continues to work well.

I've found it very easy to migrate to Apple Notes. I am conscious that it may be a lot more difficult to migrate away from that, e.g. if I need more sophisticated features.

I did consider Microsoft Notes, but I work for more than one organisation (and so have multiple MS365 subscriptions/identities) and can't see how that would securely work when logged in to one or other of them. Plus it doesn't seem to be rated very highly by users, although it probably would suffice.

I do wonder how many of the 100 million+ Evernote users are free vs paid, how many remain on legacy and how many will lapse when legacy is dropped. Perhaps someone else might buy out the rights to legacy and run a basic service for that. The company seem to be focussing on premium advanced services such as AI, and neglecting replicating the more basic useability features from the legacy app that users are screaming for. Maybe there's more profit in that, in which case who can blame them. But I don't want to use their new service, even though it remains free, because I can't continue to write simple, uncluttered text without it being auto-formatted and checklists imposed.

• Level 5

The problem with legacy is which legacy ? The one on the Mac ? The one on Windows ? The one on Android ? The one on iOS ?

Each one with it's own feature set, each one with a lack of features from the other, but with features the others didn't have. No carry over of code possible, every app build for it's own, and not compatible. This is described with the nice phrase of "technical debt". 

On the recent MacOS releases, legacy is already close to dead, for missing plugins. Windows legacy is 32 bit, not upgradable once the OS stops supporting this.

And remember, just keeping it up with a little maintenance here and there nearly killed the company.

It's really a moribund way of nostalgia some users are expressing here.

• Like 1