How to make proper and automated back-ups of Evernote v10 data [on Windows]? [SOLVED]

Go to solution Solved by MvdH,

4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

It would be interesting and helpful if another Mac user, who uses Evernote-backup, tries this as well.

10.77.3-mac-ddl-public (20240221121132)
Editor: v177.3.2
Service: v1.93.3
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

The same results for me, an empty task.  Similarly, Yarle (ENEX to Markdown) can't deal with Tasks in an evernote-backup created ENEX file but can deal with one where I do the export from the desktop client, leading me to suspect that the API that evernote-backup uses does not support the task object.

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 2/27/2024 at 12:18 PM, s2sailor said:

Just to be clear, you are using the GitHub code to generate the enex file, is that correct?

Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for asking the question. It alerted me to the fact that my evernote-backup auth-token had expired so my backups were not complete. So had to fix the errors first.

In answer to your question... I thought I was importing an ENEX from evernote-backup but it now is evident that I wasn't.  I happened to have a random ENEX file in the directory which I presume was a direct export from the desktop app and not evernote-backup.

Having fixed my auth-token and cleaned out the older ENEX files I now find my experience to be as everyone else.

Sorry to have raised hopes. (Reminder to self to renew the auth-tag in 12 months - I've got an app that will do that for me ;) )

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Having fixed my auth-token and cleaned out the older ENEX files I now find my experience to be as everyone else.

Thanks for double checking.  I appreciate it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, VincentC said:

maybe try  putting the task in a different note?  I suppose it could also be an issue with your default task note not importing correctly (assuming that's where you're test task is)...

Thanks.  My test task was in a separate note and not in the default one.  Since three of us have now confirmed this, I think it is safe to say that the external API does not yet handle tasks.  Hopefully, when work on the backend and clients settle down, they will get the breathing room to update the external API.

• Like 1

I have, much to my great disgust, finally downloaded new Evernote to my laptop (Windows) - I have had it on my ipad for a while. I'm not happy about it. I've had very poor luck with it on my iPad, frequently finding myself unable to pull up notes in searches that I know are there.and that come up readily when I search on my Android version (not updated). This is, right now, my major complaint (apart from the GUI, which has way too much wasted space for my taste), as I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly - that I don't trust the search/indexing. Also, the instantaneous sync has not been so instantaneous for me, and I often feel the need for a sync button that isn't there.

Anyway, I have been using Evernote for at least 15 years and have over 12,000 notes, and none of the alternatives fit my usage patterns well, so I'm going to find a way to adapt. I'm currently running the new version concurrently with a version that doesn't seem to be truly Legacy (no gray icon), but is an older version (9091).

The one issue that has me extremely concerned and confused is backups. I've read everything I can find on these forums and am so unhappy about the fact that the notes don't reside on my local machine, as they did before, which gave me constant almost-real-time backup of my notes as long as I had multiple daily incremental backups of my machine.  But now that's no longer the case,-so I have to find another backup solution, and it seems like the options are limited.

I saw on a recent post that Backupery is retiring its Evernote product and will no longer support or update it. So it seems like that leaves Evernote-Backup as the only option (as I'm not counting the built-in Evernote options) - is that correct?  Can someone explain exactly what evernote-backup backs up, beyond the note contents/titles/attachments? Does it also back up note meta-info, like tags, dates created & updated, source URLs for clipped web pages, etc.? And by some miracle does it preserve internal links?  Does it back up all the note version info or just the current version of the note?

I'm not sure any of this matters, since it appears to be the only option, but I still would like to know, and also just to confirm that I'm right that the notes aren't stored on the local machine anymore and so can't be backed up that way.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, justacat said:

Na moje veľké znechutenie som si konečne stiahol nový Evernote do svojho notebooku (Windows) - už ho mám chvíľu na svojom ipade. Nemám z toho radosť. Mal som s tým na svojom iPade veľké šťastie, často som zistil, že pri vyhľadávaniach nedokážem vytiahnuť poznámky, o ktorých viem, že tam sú. A ktoré sa ľahko objavia, keď hľadám na svojej verzii systému Android (neaktualizovaná). Toto je momentálne moja hlavná sťažnosť (okrem grafického používateľského rozhrania, ktoré má na môj vkus príliš veľa premárneného priestoru), keďže som ho nemal možnosť dôkladne otestovať – že neverím vyhľadávaniu/indexovaniu . Taktiež okamžitá synchronizácia pre mňa nebola taká okamžitá a často cítim potrebu synchronizačného tlačidla, ktoré tam nie je.

Každopádne, Evernote používam najmenej 15 rokov a mám viac ako 12 000 poznámok a žiadna z alternatív nezodpovedá mojim vzorcom používania, takže nájdem spôsob, ako sa prispôsobiť. V súčasnosti používam novú verziu súbežne s verziou, ktorá sa nezdá byť skutočne Legacy (bez sivej ikony), ale je staršou verziou (9091).

Jediný problém, ktorý ma veľmi znepokojuje a znepokojuje, sú zálohy. Prečítal som si všetko, čo som našiel na týchto fórach, a som veľmi nešťastný z toho, že poznámky sa nenachádzajú na mojom lokálnom počítači, ako tomu bolo predtým, čo mi umožnilo neustále zálohovanie poznámok takmer v reálnom čase. pretože som mal niekoľko denných prírastkových záloh môjho počítača. Ale teraz to už neplatí, takže musím nájsť iné záložné riešenie a zdá sa, že možnosti sú obmedzené.

V nedávnom príspevku som videl, že Backupery ukončuje svoj produkt Evernote a už ho nebude podporovať ani aktualizovať. Zdá sa teda, že Evernote-Backup zostáva ako jediná možnosť (keďže nepočítam vstavané možnosti Evernote) - je to správne? Môže niekto presne vysvetliť, čo záloha evernote zálohuje, okrem obsahu/názvov/príloh poznámok? Zálohuje tiež metainformácie poznámky, ako sú značky, dátumy vytvorenia a aktualizácie, zdrojové adresy URL pre orezané webové stránky atď.? A nejakým zázrakom zachováva vnútorné prepojenia? Zálohuje všetky informácie o verzii poznámky alebo len aktuálnu verziu poznámky?

Nie som si istý, či na ničom z toho záleží, keďže sa to javí ako jediná možnosť, ale aj tak by som rád vedel, a tiež len potvrdiť, že mám pravdu, že poznámky už nie sú uložené na lokálnom počítači a takže nie je možné zálohovať týmto spôsobom.

Vďaka!

The notes are stored on the computer - the database is about the same size as Legacy, but probably nobody has tested the script yet:

1/ I'm making a backup of the whole foldesr of Evernote
2/ I simulate a problem (e.g. loss of web access)
3/ in offline mode, I completely replace the Evernote folders from the backup
4/ turn Evernote offline and check if I have access to the notes...

I had this running with Legacy... I also have to come up with another version and I haven't tested this yet...

Maybe I just need to test it with a smaller account 

• Evernote Expert

When importing from any ENEX file whether created from Legacy, v10 or evernote-backup they are treated as new notes so the dates will be updated.

Evernote-backup breaks the backup into individual notebooks making it much less likely that the import will breach data upload limits. The old Legacy all note backup easily breached the limits making them impossible to import.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, justacat said:

Does it also back up note meta-info, like tags, dates created & updated, source URLs for clipped web pages, etc.? And by some miracle does it preserve internal links?  Does it back up all the note version info or just the current version of the note?

• Tags: Yes
  • Dates created: Yes
  • Dates updated: No - imports sets the note as updated now!
  • Source URLs for clipped web pages: Don't know
    • please check yourself and post findings here 🙏
  • Preserve internal links: No
    • ... because internal note IDs are not stored any internal links to a note will fail
23 minutes ago, agsteele said:

When importing from any ENEX file whether created from Legacy, v10 or evernote-backup they are treated as new notes so the dates will be updated.

Evernote-backup breaks the backup into individual notebooks making it much less likely that the import will breach data upload limits. The old Legacy all note backup easily breached the limits making them impossible to import.

What are those import limits?

1 minute ago, ferol said:

What are those import limits?

It's not an import limit - it's the later coming upload limit/month that bothers some users who tried to export/import their whole notebook structure.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Imported notes are basically new notes. They need to sync with the server as any other note.

If the ENEX file is too large, what happens is that the import can't be finished, since the client stops uploading. After a reset of the upload limit, the ENEX import will again start at the beginning - leading to the same result.

There is an option to split the ENEX file into several smaller ones. It makes sense to use it.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 1:46 AM, PinkElephant said:

Imported notes are basically new notes. They need to sync with the server as any other note.

If the ENEX file is too large, what happens is that the import can't be finished, since the client stops uploading. After a reset of the upload limit, the ENEX import will again start at the beginning - leading to the same result.

There is an option to split the ENEX file into several smaller ones. It makes sense to use it.

EN is miserable.
It is even does NOT allow to migrate 25gb data at once
:-)
what a facepalm software!!!