Edits to new note didn't save/disappeared

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

I have lost 2 Notes using Evernote with no idea how to recover or what caused the problem. Why would anyone use a product with the function of saving data that looses data? I am now faced with the job of finding a new note taker and moving my data to it.

Hi the autosave function is, sadly, abysmal on iOS. I’m finding it increasingly frustrating how inconsistent it is and it is resulting in data loss which isn’t acceptable. 

Good example - I have a weekly journal that I put events notes and ideas into. So I open this on my phone in the car and add a note, click the tick and leave the app. I open the same note once home to add something else on my iPad, the info I entered in the car isn’t there. I open it on my phone to try and get it to sync, nothing, I refresh both notes and then it removes the content from the phone. This isn’t ok, we need a sync option because autosave is not up standard and isn’t reliable currently. 

I created a brand new note in the version before 10.0.4 1104831(I updated hoping the note would magically come back)

When I was done with the note I did the “Done Check Button” and returned to the All Notes list. The most recent note just said “Untitled note” and was blank. 

I was sad as it was a thoughtful and desired note. But, also, that trusty Evernote up and lost something. 

At the time I was using a different WiFi and noticed connectivity was lost, so I don’t know if that was related. (Was thinking the note would, of course, be local and only sync when it could. 

also, as I normally do, I moved the new note into its proper notebook while editing. 

I hope this all helps. Sure hope and pray we can get through the newness of all this and back to stable soon. 

Working on my iPad, I edited an existing note - I went thru and made a few words Bold. I then shut the iPad, went about my business for a while. Later, I picked up my iPhone, opened the same note, and my changes weren't there - nothing in bold. So I opened up my iPad, which was still on the same note, and I could see the words I had made bold - for about a second, then they all reverted to normal text.

So somehow my changes were discarded or overwritten (I don't remember if I made changes to the note on my phone). This is scary - have other changes I've made in other notes gone too? No way to know. Anyone else seen this behavior?

19 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I've seen other, similar reports - recent changes being lost;  usually written off to notes not being synced before the app was closed.  Could this have been the case for you? 

Yes, very much so. But the idea of sync errors being "written off" is scary. Hard to rely on an app where sync isn't reliable. And since I can't go back to the previous version on iOS where sync WAS reliable, does it make sense to keep using the app in its present state?

3 minutes ago, ObviousBob said:

Yes, very much so. But the idea of sync errors being "written off" is scary. Hard to rely on an app where sync isn't reliable. And since I can't go back to the previous version on iOS where sync WAS reliable, does it make sense to keep using the app in its present state?

I created a post about the very same issue today, except in my case it was content that was lost but in the exact same way as with your formatting. The solution to me is simple - that tick button doesn’t seem to do....anything! It should be when we press tick we are saying we are done and the note should sync immediately at that point, autosave is nice and all and good to have but the final sync should be with us pressing the tick button. That’s clearly not happening as things are being lost.  I hope they fix this really quickly as this needs sorted before android rolls out. 

it’s odd because the windows app is so much more stable with sync, it clearly tells you in the bottom right that sync has happened and all content has been saved, iOS, tells you nothing and doesn’t do it properly in the end. 

33 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

I created a post about the very same issue today, except in my case it was content that was lost but in the exact same way as with your formatting. The solution to me is simple - that tick button doesn’t seem to do....anything! It should be when we press tick we are saying we are done and the note should sync immediately at that point, autosave is nice and all and good to have but the final sync should be with us pressing the tick button. That’s clearly not happening as things are being lost.  I hope they fix this really quickly as this needs sorted before android rolls out. 

I went back and read your post and I agree we are talking about the same thing. Syncing - which is completely out of the users control - doesn't seem to be happening frequently enough. Except it usually works, but there is no way of knowing until it is too late..

• 2 weeks later...

Been using Evernote for 8 years. Have come to trust it, and use it as my "second brain". Upgraded to latest Evernote version on all platforms (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Mac). Entered data into a note on my iPhone this morning, 2 hours later I'm on my Mac, pull up the note, don't see the data. Go back to my iPhone, data is there - I "pull down and hold" to force a sync, and the new data I had entered vanishes. DATA LOSS. Anyone else having this issue? This is devastating for me - I now realize I should not trust this app as much as I've gotten used to.

Also since the upgrade, I had 2 notes - 1 original, and 1 new, basically the same (I mistakenly named the 2 notes the same name at one point - surprised it even let me do that). I deleted the old as I had started to add to the new. 24 hours later, I pull up Evernote on my Mac, and both old and new are back. I meticulously scour both to ensure the new has all the new, and the old can be "re-deleted", lo and behold the old note has a few things I had typed into the new note! I copied them back into the new and re-deleted the note. Should I really have to do this? No. Waste of time.

I’m having similar problems with text disappearing from notes. I’m also a long time user and just upgraded to the new version. 

I created a note on my iPhone, wrote a lot of project planning and went to add a few tags. Back to the note again - and all the text is gone. 

Checked note history - also empty. 

Evernote does not feel like a safe spot for my ideas at the moment. 

• Sad 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Hi All,

If you are a Premium/Plus user and encounter this issue, please open a support ticket here:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

For the the basic users that have encountered this issue, I'll be reaching out to you directly via DM(@steve111 @ObviousBob @ingemarsland)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Thanks 1

Two notes, created minutes apart (iOS version 10.0.4 (1104831) on my iPad Pro under iOS 13.7.

Each given new title.

Started writing in one, wrote for about 2 hours, maybe 3.  Created outlines.  Bulleted lists of plain text...nothing fancy.

Switched over to the other, wrote for about 15 minutes (generated about 250 words or so...plain text...nothing fancy.

Switched over to the first note.  EMPTY.  Title was still there but NO contents in the note.  Modified time that was shown was two hours prior.

Switched over to the second note.  ALSO NOW EMPTY.  Modified time that was shown was the time at which the note was created.  Now several hours before.

Checked other install on iPhone (also latest and greatest version) - nothing there.

Checked the web access to my notebooks - nothing there.

EXTREMELY disappointed.  Not a hugely frequent user of Evernote but I am a premium user because I don't mind paying for something that has always been rock solid for me and where I can turn to quickly jot down new ideas that I want to be synched everywhere.

Sign-in on my iOS devices is always saved.

Sign-in to web access with through email login.

~Barden 

• Thanks 1

Morning all, went here in hopes of finding a solution to similar issue described above.  I added notes on Thursday and Friday of last week to an existing note.  I opened this morning to review and use, but seems like it needed an update.  The notes aren't there and I'm trying not to freak out.  I've checked trash and other notes as well.  @Shane D. hoping you can assist me as well.  

- Kaleena 

• Thanks 1

I experienced this issue too a day ago for two notes - none of them new. Edits weren't there after getting back to the note. Also apparently no sync conflict, because EN on desktop hasn't been opened during the time it happened.

Fortunately, it were only some minor edits and I was able to recall the changes from my mind, so it wouldn't be worth to open a support ticket. The thing is it means that EN is not reliable anymore and I am not able to trust it anymore with anything. I have no Plan B how to handle my system for the transition time until EN (on ALL platforms - I mostly use it from phone where I cannot rollback to a functioning version) is usable again.

I came across the same issue today. I am using a basic account. Added a new note and edited it. But after I hit "save", the title and the content disappeared. And I can not delete or make any change to the blank note anymore.

• Level 5*

I've experienced this problem as well.  Created a short note on my iPhone, saved it and then later went looking for it and found an empty note.  Nothing I typed was saved.  Suspiciously, at about the same time I experienced a sync problem on my Windows system running 6.25.1.9091.  I've tried all of the usual steps to resolve the sync problem, including the cntl-help options with no luck.  I've tried everything that I know of, with the exception of rebuilding the database, which I hope to avoid.  Interestingly, I have both v10 and legacy running on a Mac and no sync problems on either.  The problem is only on the Windows legacy system.  I use mainly local notebooks on the Windows system, so this hasn't been that big of a problem but I do need sync fixed and have opened ticket #3189584.

@Shane D. the activity log is pointing to a specific note.  Here is the error message:

19:20:44 [ERROR  ] [21984] [2792] 100% EDAMNotFoundException: id="Note.guid" key="99b667b1-a925-331d-ffc0-e5741092f2e5"
19:20:44 [INFO   ] [21984] [22632] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

I tried copying internal note links for all my notes, dumped them into a file and searched for the GUID with no luck.  If support would like the full activity log, I can send that.

10/28/2020 Update - after waiting a couple of days for customer support to respond, and needing this fixed, I decided to wait no longer, roll up my sleeves and rebuild the database.  Problem is, I have numerous local notebooks for work, so first those had to be exported.  Next Evernote uninstalled, then reinstalled, the database downloaded and then all of the exported local notebooks imported back.  I have several shortcuts to individual notes that disappeared and had to be recreated.  Oh ya, all links within the local notebooks were broken.  Fortunately, I don't use too many for work and I'll recreate them as I stumble across the broken links.  Several hours later I'm back up and running again, but what a ROYAL PITA and I'm convinced the database problem was caused by a note I created on iOS v10.

• Sad 1

@Shane D.  Nothing new on this?  As you have directed others to do, I have obtain a Support Ticket but have heard nothing back from them nor has there been any other official reply in this thread.  I know the thread is marked as "Answered" but I'm really not sure that it is...

Haven't used EN since last weekend because I'm nervous about doing so.

Note created today on iOS 13.7 using Evernote 10.0.4(1104831) disappeared an hour later for no apparent reason. Not the end of the world, but doesn't exactly fill me with trust, or leave me wanting to renew my premium subscription.

I've been using Evernote since 2009, but will have to switch to something else until you get this fiasco sorted out.

• Like 1

Not using Evernote for important notes because of this too. I do not consider the problem solved as long as nor way to retrieve the lost notes is shown. Currently I am nor opening a ticket as I am reading that others' tickets did not get an answer.

• Like 1
On 10/30/2020 at 4:56 AM, Barden said:

@Shane D.  Nothing new on this?  As you have directed others to do, I have obtain a Support Ticket but have heard nothing back from them nor has there been any other official reply in this thread.  I know the thread is marked as "Answered" but I'm really not sure that it is...

It took 2 weeks for Evernote support to get back to me when I opened a ticket, and then they wanted detailed app logs from the event (two weeks ago!), note titles, and asked me to reproduce it again if I didn't have that data. Guess they're all having flawless iOS app usage in their own internal testing... or more likely not even trying.

• 2 months later...

How is this thread marked as solved when clearly it wasn’t. This issue happened to me for the third time in a short span and just right now again (all on iOS, latest version at times of writing).

Evernote no longer feels safe to capture important thoughts. That’s really a shame, I’ve been using it for 8 years now. It’s funny to feel this insecure every time you write something now. You may very well return to an empty “Untitled note”. 
can you at least keep users who are puzzled in the loop on a progress for a solution instead of closing the thread?

• Like 1

Yeah, I hate to say it but I just don't trust Evernote anymore.  I've gone to start a number of notes in the way that I might have normally done in the past only to stop myself and turn to another solution that I trust more.  The other solutions (including macOS Notes) aren't as feature rich (Notes is downright bare-bones and simplistic) but I trust them to sync reliably across all of my devices and not lose my work.

I haven't cancelled the subscription yet (I renew in May, I think) but I likely won't renew this year.

A real shame.

~sb

11 hours ago, Barden said:

Yeah, I hate to say it but I just don't trust Evernote anymore.  I've gone to start a number of notes in the way that I might have normally done in the past only to stop myself and turn to another solution that I trust more.  The other solutions (including macOS Notes) aren't as feature rich (Notes is downright bare-bones and simplistic) but I trust them to sync reliably across all of my devices and not lose my work.

I haven't cancelled the subscription yet (I renew in May, I think) but I likely won't renew this year.

A real shame.

~sb

This is the same with me. I have been al long time pro user but I guess I willl not renew.

• 1 month later...

This is the same issue i've been having for a few weeks. New lines in existing notes just disappear periodically even if it says "all changes saved in the bottom. latest version 2367 on Mac client. When will we get a fix for this? Definitely not solved!

I've tried editing existing notes on both the desktop app and the web. Have been having this problem so frequently in the past few weeks that I tested editing the text on the web and waiting, checking if it appeared on the desktop and vice-versa. The recently added text keeps disappearing right in front of my eyes EVERY SINGLE TIME!! I feel extremely frustrated. Evernote is no longer a reliable tool and this is a huge problem for me.  

This is now the 5th time in the last couple of months.....I LOST A NOTE ENTRY. After about 30 minutes on entering notes via my iPhone earlier this morning and switching to a new app, then coming back to Evernote, then ALL my notes are gone! Extremely horrible! And this is a repeat issue. I've always depended on Evernote, for over a decade, to be reliable, but now I'm literal nervous about taking notes because of how UNRELIABLE Evernote is now. 

for the last week or so..... I noticed my ios evernote app, the new notes appeared hung-up.... they would not sync.  So I went to setting and click on sync now.......NOW I have lost all those notes that hadn't been sync with cloud.........    I have hours of notes .....  all gone.    What is going on evernote?   I have been using your serviced for 11 yr

• Level 5

First thing I would do is check on the web client. What is there, is safe and sound on the server, what is not there, has not synced. The mobile client itself is not absolutely reliable.

When notes that are on the web client do not show on the mobile client, closing and restarting it often helps. For an extra push in syncing you can shut down the i-device completely, switch it on again (Apple logo will show) and then reopen the app. 

Content that comes from sharing will show in a little dark box on top of the notes list. Usually it imports within some seconds. If it doesn’t it makes no sense at all to push more content into sharing - the clogged pipeline will not open. First the stuck content must work on importing, or must be deleted.

To give import a chance, leave the app running in the foreground, switch autolockscreen off and let it run. There are posts in the forum when the import suddenly happened after 30min. If nothing happens, you probably need to uninstall the app, dumping all data, shut down, then reinstall. All content in the sharing queue will be lost - it is in a container between apps and can’t be accessed or removed.

thank you for the reply,   but I have been using Evernote for 10 years.... never had a problem until recently.  my behavior of writing posting notes has not change.   But I will follow your suggestions.  

• 1 month later...

Same issue here. Legacy version on Mac is now apparently as unstable as the iOS mess. 

When my Mac upgraded to the new release, multiple fails were immediately obvious --> I rolled back to Legacy. Looks pretty bad but has been functioning reliably on the laptop ... until today. I worked all afternoon in a note (previously saved and synced multiples times in the morning). Left my laptop open at 4PM. Came back at 7PM, caught a glimpse of all my text before it erased itself in front of my eyes. A couple hours of work gone. 

Checked the server: nope. And I didn't touch the note on my phone in the gap, so there's no way it's a sync conflict. No explanation. Evernote just....deleted it. Rolled back to a version from 11AM...while synching? Which it didn't do for several hours despite the laptop being on and the program open??? FFS. Why use a data app that erases data?? 

Insult to injury: the "versioning" that used to create versions of notes multiple times/day  and used to be a partial fallback in the old days when this behavior was more common? At some point last year, EN cut back from saving maybe 12 versions/day to 3-4 across an entire day  ---> completely useless feature in situations like this. (Case in point: the versioning feature saved four versions of today's lost note, three of them in the morning when I made minimal changes. It saved ZERO versions between noon and 7PM when I quadrupled the size of the note. Well done, Evernote!) 

Getting so close to done with this trash behavior. Good for Evernote for finally realizing their platforming was unsustainable, but who goes about a massive upgrade by undermining the entire raison d'etre for the entire company - the CORE FUNCTIONS of saving and syncing data? I guess the idea is they'll just build an entirely new user base on the new platform, having alienated everyone who's stuck with them for 10+ years? Helluva marketing plan to go with a half-assed rollout....

Oh my goodness. I just lost a huge amount of work because of this issue. I’m almost losing my mind and there’s no solution to this? 

This has happened in the past few months but this, for me, is the last straw. Evernote was such a good note taking platform but this is too painful. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Etashe said:

Oh my goodness. I just lost a huge amount of work because of this issue. I’m almost losing my mind and there’s no solution to this? 

This has happened in the past few months but this, for me, is the last straw. Evernote was such a good note taking platform but this is too painful. 

I submitted a ticket. I'm aware from previous experience that there will be no data recovery, but I do EN (well, other users) the courtesy of logging it so they can't say they didn't know it was an issue because their test bed didn't turn it up. Got a follow-up request. Replied immediately. No response. So, yeah.... 

@ All you might notice at the top of this topic that @Shane D.has marked it as being solved (back in October or November or so, IIRC) so I'm not sure that we'll see a new response from EN here.

@Shane D.  How about it?  The resolution for me was a lovely email from Tech Support essentially saying "Yeah, we're really sorry you lost all of your work but we think we've got the problem licked this time."

Apparently not?

Again, it's a shame that so much has seemingly gone wrong during a time when it appears that many other things are "moving forward" with EN.

• 3 weeks later...

I also experienced a new note that I created this morning disappeared. Here are some of my observations:

I opened Evernote [10.10] on my IPAD running the latest IOS 14.6. Evernote haven’t finished syncing when I started creating a new note. I only typed a a few words when I switched out of the note. The note was not saved when I did that.

SO what I will do in the future is to wait for synching to complete before typing a new note.

Just another change in behaviour but it would be great if the IOS Evernote could have the same attention as the Desktop version with squashing the bugs.

Ice

• Level 5

EN v10 clients „live“ from the server data. Using it while it is still syncing can cause all sort of problems, at random. I would not regard this as a bug - one could discuss that the client should be locked until the sync has finished. But then it would lock frequently.

What I am missing is a widget or app menu option that allows to create a note on the fly without a need to open the app.

• 3 weeks later...

This being unable to save a note after creating one makes Evernote Android impossible to use.

to use it, I have to revert to version 8, and that is only temporary for a few days until Evernote f$%^kn updates to nonworking version 10.X.X

We know "submit to tech support" works for Sh%*t. They never respond nor fix the problem.

Made me spend the 99 dollars, that didnt have any problem taking it for a non-working product.

Can you say CLASS ACTION?

• Level 5

What does this post has to do with a properly working iOS app ?

For my understanding of privacy Android in itself should be the reason for the „mother of all class actions“. Just can’t join, since I don’t use any Android.

And again, you are posting in the iOS subforum, and this EN app works.

Maybe you invest your compensation from the CA into high quality, privacy oriented devices that will get new OS updates for more than 5 years, and security updates way longer.

Because this deficiency to keep devices up to date is probably at the core of EN problems to deliver performant and stable software for Android. 

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5

If you are not saving your content, you risk to loose it. This is nothing new.

In fact it is iOS that is force-closing apps that are running in the background - but there is nothing broken. iOS is programmed to clean up background tasks to preserve memory and battery. The app can’t do anything against it, when iOS hits the exit button. In this moment everything that was saved in EN is safe - just hit the green swash, and it saves.

If a note was kept open with new content, not saved, and you move EN to the background, a ticker starts. Once iOS pulls the plug, the app is force closed, and (this is important) the sandbox in which the app was running is annihilated as well. This is the reason why the app can’t save anything - because this content is temporarily stored in the sandbox, and the sandbox is erased before it can save.

So simply take care to save your stuff before you move on with another app.

• 1 year later...

It happened few times in last couple weeks. I thought I wrote something but didn't find it when went back to it next day. Today it was clear that EN lost my notes when I clearly remember entering about 6 pages of customer requirements, went back to see 2 lines remaining. Nothing on notes history. 

Are there any updates on the support ticket? 

I had my first data loss last night, was writing a draft email to go out, when I went to go to send it later the last three paragraphs had vanished. Will need to use another app until these issues are sorted.