Multi-Language Spell Checking without changing operating system language

Dadalus

Idea

I am using evernote for English and German content. My Windows operating system primary language is German. Since Evernote 10 it seems that only the system language is considered for spell checking. Now all English text are marked with the red line. For me it is not an option always to change the system language. Could you please bring back the multi-language spelling check option. 

• Like 5

30 replies to this idea

Same issue here. Completely ridiculous, Evernote is now unusable for me. I will wait some days if they resolve this, if not, I will migrate to OneNote and cancel my Evernote subscription as I rely on a note-taking app in my workflow.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2020 at 5:22 PM, Alxa said:

No idea, what the product manager is talking about when quoting this as a resolved issue.

Maybe none of them speaks a second language and has therefore experienced how deeply flawed their product is.

• Like 2

Can someone from Evernote please turn this into a high-priority bug fix? I am working wth three languages and the ability to switch languages for spell checking on a note-by-note basis is absolutely essential. I must say I am very surprised that I am getting a notification to update Evernote to a version that doesn't support working in several languages. 

It would also be nice to see a comment from the Evernote team with some guidance as to when they expect to fix this issue.

• Like 1

I just downgraded to version 6. it helped.
Here is a link for download.

I've used waaay too much time on this problem.
I can't wait to get back to actual doing my notes...

• Level 5

I think that this will be connected to the issue of app preferences in general, essentially none of which are now configurable.

V. 10.1.4 has been released, which is supposed to address language-related spelling issues:

Edited by Dave-in-Decatur
New information
40 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I think that this will be connected to the issue of app preferences in general, essentially none of which are now configurable.

V. 10.1.4 has been released, which is supposed to address language-related spelling issues:

I already have this version and it does NOT solve the spellcheck problem. Text in a different language than the language of the OS is still highlighted as incorrect. Maybe it has never occurred to Evernote producers that some people speak and work in multiple languages. How difficult can it be for a software that is not freeware to include a "turn spellcheck off" function (if they are not able to implement a spellcheck in multiple languages like 99% of professional software products are able to do)?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The spell check is still broken (german user). Nearly everything marked red, no option to turn off or to learn words into the dictionary. No idea, what the product manager is talking about when quoting this as a resolved issue. I cannot understand why Evernote is not capable of handling spell checking in a professional and paid (!) product. Cannot remember another software product with problems on this.

• Like 1

I'm not sure to which extend this thread is followed by the developers of Evernote, but the lack of multi-language support/multiple language spell checking is not solved at all. What we are asking is that in the settings, we can select which language is the prefered language for spell checking. For many people in multi-language environments, the Windows system language is not relevant.

• Like 3
On 10/19/2020 at 10:40 AM, onno.roosenschoon@wur.nl said:

I'm not sure to which extend this thread is followed by the developers of Evernote, but the lack of multi-language support/multiple language spell checking is not solved at all. What we are asking is that in the settings, we can select which language is the prefered language for spell checking. For many people in multi-language environments, the Windows system language is not relevant.

I would extend this.

Not only spell-checking, but also language setting.
The product should look like:
1. Choose, what language you want your app to be installed in + have the option to change it in the app.
2. Choose what languages you want the spellchecking to be at -> it's normal to use more languages at the same time in one space. The enigne could see, if the language of the note, for example, is one of the selected for the spellcheck, and check for that language. 

I wonder, how this can still be a topic nowadays. Big fail, Evernote.

• Like 1

Still no solution to the spellcheck problem. It is so annoying. Evernote made a wise choice to change the data format so that the OneNote importer does not work anymore. I would have left Endnote and switched to OneNote by now.

I have the same problem, as I use both Polish and English for my notes. Also, due to the fact, that the ability to change shortcuts seems to be missing (or is hidden in some remote part of the GUI), I'm unable to easily write some letters unique to Polish alphabet (like "ś", for instance).

I have the same problem you all, my version is the last 10.3.7, the darkmode is very attractive but the spell check is very annoying, I have notes in English and Portuguese, and some French and Polish vocabulary lists, all words have some red underline...
So I can't use the windows version anymore, I think it's an easy fix for them.
Now I use the web version, is not that great, but has no spell check.

New evernote installed itself in the system language (Japanese). I don't want that. I want English as the UI language.  Have uninstalled Evernote and am using the legacy version. If not resolved, I will abandon Evernote and switch to something else. Have been a user for nearly 10 years and have 10,000+ notes. Not a decision I make lightly.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Pokke said:

I find it amazing that they do not even acknowledge this topic? Not a single reply by the dev's. 

Hi. This is a -mainly- user-supported Forum and if you check every one of the thousands of threads here,  you'll find that developers have never commented on work in progress.  Some of us users try to give what support we can,  but you can imagine it's been a little busy around here recently!

On the main point of this thread - the launch version of EN10 in all operating systems was a stripped-down shell intended to volume test the new backroom systems for bugs that would not / could not have been found in normal beta tests of maybe a few thousand users.  Evernote runs 250M accounts (probably a little less after the last few weeks...) so normal levels of system traffic could not be tested without just going ahead and doing it.

The 'legacy' app will run alongside the new version and is available for all systems apart from iOS (that's an Apple restriction).  It should have exactly the same features you've always used - including multi-language support.  Evernote will continue to support both for the meantime until the new app is more on a level with the old.  At that point support will end,  and we don't know when that will be.

The best tactic (I'd suggest) is to use the new app where you can,  but when you (if you're a subscriber) find missing or broken features,  submit a support ticket so that Evernote have a picture of what developments are still needed and what priority to apply.

Where you need features that haven't yet been restored,  use the legacy app.

If you prefer to avoid all the fuss you could uninstall both new and legacy versions of Evernote and go back to the last public releases,  disabling updates for the moment.  You probably have at least 6 months of continued activity before things are likely to change.

The new app is getting better - 10.0 at launch is now up to 10.4 and will continue to add bug fixes and features across all operating systems.

I'm dug in on the old Windows version at 6.25.1,  and while I've looked around and have inspected suggestions from other threads,  there is so far nothing which compares with Evernote for my level of use.  Your case may be different - search for 'Evernote Alternatives' online if you want to spend some time trying out other options. 

I reserve the right to say "I told you so..."

Useful links:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi. This is a -mainly- user-supported Forum and if you check every one of the thousands of threads here,  you'll find that developers have never commented on work in progress.  Some of us users try to give what support we can,  but you can imagine it's been a little busy around here recently!

Right! Thanks for all the info Gazumped. Got it.

• Like 1

Same problem here with Windows version 10.4. Every word in Spanish is highlighted, so all my notes are unreadable (I still like to have Windows and UI in English).

In the "coming soon" section this isn't even addressed...

In the meantime I'm going back to 6.25. I don't think I'll bother upgrading to 10.4 again.

1 hour ago, jcdoming said:

In the "coming soon" section this isn't even addressed...

I noticed this as well. Very disappointing to say the least. I will probably also roll back to the legacy version but only to export all my notes to OneNote (which is another thing that is not possible with Endnote 10.x).

For me there is a workaround.

I have Evernote on iPhone, and iPad.

I compose the note with reminder and tags on the iPad, there the spell check/prediction works.

Then I save it and it shows perfectly on the desktop app.

I'll be the first to admit that it's a far from ideal solution.

Also, to design a successor for the perfectly reliable older edition, which clearly does not work with Windows 10 Language settings., is nothing less than shoddy workmanship.

I hope this helps FBZ