Multi-Language Spell Checking without changing operating system language

Dadalus

Idea

26 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You seem to be dialled into statistics to which the rest of us don't have access - care to share your sources?  If they can be verified I'm sure Evernote would be interested: but while it's all too easy to say "90% of users demand this" the sad little total at the top of the page suggests otherwise...

Don't know where you read this. I just pointed out, that multi language users with their needs are ignored since EN10 and that this is sad. So, yes I demand this and at least the other 64 open-minded users who voted this thread up here. 😉 As we know this is a US based product. So we will likely not see a different approach on this topic in future. I got in touch several times with support on language specific issues. It is not only about spell checking but with search also. The searching capabilities of the engine can be limited when used with other languages. Support told me they were happy about these suggestions and concered about there international users, but hmmmmm 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5

With spell checking everything got explained above.

With search, if it not shows the desired results you should check your language settings in EN account settings, personal settings. There are language options there. They control against which dictionaries the OCR function will run. If for example English is selected, but you have a lot of stuff in French, then it will try to find English words that are similar to the optical readout, but will not check against a French dictionary.

As a result you may get relatively bad OCR results, which reflects again in the search.

My language setting is German and English, and I can not complain about the German* search, it is up on the level of the English search. Choosing too many languages will do no good, so maybe try 2 or 3, but not more.

Unfortunately, if it was set to only one language in the past, it will not redo the OCR when you change the settings today. But for the future, search results should improve.

(*) There is the problem that search will only search for the start of a word. In German many words are composites of single Words, stitched together. In this case Germans search will only work for the initial part of the composite.

3 hours ago, Alxa said:

As we know this is a US based product. So we will likely not see a different approach on this topic in future

There is probably some truth to that, but was it not a US based product before when it had multi-language support? There are a lot of features that didn't make it from old to new and not having its own spell-checker is one of them (scripting support, multiple tabs, presentation mode, export more than 50 notes in a list, sorting note list by tag/size, etc, etc.)

• Level 5
17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The likelihood of EN 1) adding it’s own (licensed from 3rd party) spell checker to the app and 2) enable this spell checker for a multi-language ability is from my experience close to zero. You can ask for anything, but I doubt it will be done.

Just a thought about this: as @Alxa pointed out above, the "old" Evernote Windows program did/does have an option to spell-check in multiple languages at the same time. I just selected English, French, and German and found the spell-checking covered all 3 as I switched among them as I wrote, though it slowed down the typing noticeably. So presumably at one time Evernote did license all these spell checkers. It evidently seemed like a reasonable business decision at the time, and I hope that it may seem so once again, but likely not till after other functions of the new version are sorted out and syncing improved.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:05 AM, -Rick- said:

I've found a work-around! (for windows) I hope it will help you to!

First off all, I discovered that when I set the 'Windows Display Language' to my native language (Dutch) that then Evernote seem to support spelling check for 2 languages.
That is both errors detection as well as suggestions. Both languages may be used in the same note/line while the check still works.

However, when I switch the 'Windows Display Language' to English, which is my personal preference, then Evernote only support the English spell check.
And as far as I know Evernote does not give any setting to enable/add a second language.
Gladly I've found a work-around to get a second language working (next to English) while the 'Windows Display Language' is English.
Namely I noticed that Evernote uses the bdic-fileformat as dictionary files. This type of dictionary files are also used by other programs like Chrome and Microsoft Teams.
While searching my PC's HDD for bdic-files I found two bdic-files in my native language:

• %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Dictionaries\nl-NL-3-0.bdic
  • %AppData%\Local\CEF\User Data\Dictionaries\nl-NL-3-0.bdic    (CEF stands for Chromium Embedded Framework but I'm not sure if I've got this folder because I installed Chrome)

You can use this bdic-file in your language (e.g. "nl-NL-3-0.bdic") as follows:

1. Quit Evernote (via tray icon in the taskbar)
  2. Go to: %AppData%\Roaming\Evernote\Dictionaries
  3. Here i found 2 different language files, "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic" and "en-GB-9-0.bdic"
  4. I chose to rename and replace "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic". I.e. renamed this file so Evernote wont find it and I have a backup (e.g. to "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic.BACKUP")
  5. Then copy the bdic-dictionary-file of your native language (e.g. nl-NL-3-0.bdic) to this folder and rename it to "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic"
  6. Now Evernote works for me in Dutch and in English (for both languages spelling check and suggestions) with "Windows Display Language" set to English
  7. Restart Evernote

I use Evernote version 10.38.3.

Good job !

Worked for me as well but by renaming my language file to "en-GB-oxendict-10-1.bdic" (instead of en-GB-oxendict-9.bdic in the original post)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This setting is not for spell checking at all.

It defines which dictionaries are used to refine OCR results. It only has an effect on the server side action.

Spell checking is done in the local clients while editing, and it is entirely based on the OS functionality.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:05 AM, -Rick- said:

First off all, I discovered that when I set the 'Windows Display Language' to my native language (Dutch) that then Evernote seem to support spelling check for 2 languages.
That is both errors detection as well as suggestions. Both languages may be used in the same note/line while the check still works.

However, when I switch the 'Windows Display Language' to English, which is my personal preference, then Evernote only support the English spell check.
And as far as I know Evernote does not give any setting to enable/add a second language.
Gladly I've found a work-around to get a second language working (next to English) while the 'Windows Display Language' is English.
Namely I noticed that Evernote uses the bdic-fileformat as dictionary files. This type of dictionary files are also used by other programs like Chrome and Microsoft Teams.
While searching my PC's HDD for bdic-files I found two bdic-files in my native language:

• %AppData%\Local\CEF\User Data\Dictionaries\nl-NL-3-0.bdic    (CEF stands for Chromium Embedded Framework but I'm not sure if I've got this folder because I installed Chrome)

3. Here i found 2 different language files, "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic" and "en-GB-9-0.bdic"
  4. I chose to rename and replace "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic". I.e. renamed this file so Evernote wont find it and I have a backup (e.g. to "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic.BACKUP")
  5. Then copy the bdic-dictionary-file of your native language (e.g. nl-NL-3-0.bdic) to this folder and rename it to "en-GB-oxendict-9-0.bdic"
  6. Now Evernote works for me in Dutch and in English (for both languages spelling check and suggestions) with "Windows Display Language" set to English
  7. Restart Evernote

Rick, thank you so much. I type in English and Spanish, and luckily found a nice Spanish dictionary under C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\es-ES-3-0.bdic, followed your steps and worked like a charm. I have the paid version, and I don't know how to request to Evernote to add dictionaries for all the people that speak more than one language. No more red underlines. GraceToU

image.png.0fe3abfb32546264f852f62667eef785.png
 image.thumb.png.c2ba2e6d5271b7177d6b2eb7711d933a.png

On 6/10/2022 at 7:05 AM, -Rick- said:

7. Restart Evernote

Amazing tip!

So simple to implement and so useful. 

Thank you Rick for sharing your knowledge!

Dictionaries for other languages can be found here: GitHub - cvsuser-chromium/third_party_hunspell_dictionaries

Why Evernote doesn't put a simple entry in the configuration panel to support this ?!!?

On 6/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, -Rick- said:

I've found a work-around! (for windows) I hope it will help you to!...

Fantastic, thank you so much. I can confirm this works with version 10.57.6, the latest as of press time. 

On 4/13/2023 at 12:53 AM, Tonymynd said:

Rick, thank you so much. I type in English and Spanish, and luckily found a nice Spanish dictionary under C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\es-ES-3-0.bdic, followed your steps and worked like a charm. I have the paid version, and I don't know how to request to Evernote to add dictionaries for all the people that speak more than one language. No more red underlines. GraceToU

image.png.0fe3abfb32546264f852f62667eef785.png
 image.thumb.png.c2ba2e6d5271b7177d6b2eb7711d933a.png

Recently, I had to reinstall Evernote completely to fix a JavaScript error, which I was successful in resolving. However, I noticed that the dictionary is now labeled as "en-GB-oxendict-10-1.bdic". It would be greatly appreciated if Evernote could automatically handle this issue or allow users to continue using the current workaround. I don't intend to come across as arrogant or demanding, but as paying customers, we expect Evernote to assist us with our quality specs. Wishing all the best and greatest.

• Like 1

I really appreciate Evernote's facilities for long time, but It's really amazing evernote haven't fix this litter thing for all of this time and many people asking the same. Looks like they give up on given good service. Years using this tool, and now I will have to change to another cus a got the old version to solve the problem, and now it doesn't even want to synchronize. This is hard to believe. Making upgrades to damage. 

I found Solution on Reddit. Test it:

1/ Instal App for Electron systems:

https://webcatalog.io/en/

2/ Download it...

3/ Inside app instal Evernote

And you can modify default setings for Electron apps like this - this is for Evernote:

... and its really working :)

... But I dont nothing about security...

image.thumb.png.31208bb3d82fd9fa8fe76d1995735fdf.png

image.thumb.png.f038c2fccf26e150a6bbb17706342b15.png

• Level 5
8 hours ago, ferol said:

I found Solution on Reddit. Test it:

1/ Instal App for Electron systems:

https://webcatalog.io/en/

2/ Download it...

3/ Inside app instal Evernote

And you can modify default setings for Electron apps like this - this is for Evernote:

... and its really working :)

... But I dont nothing about security...

So, ummm ... besides spell-check settings, can it modify UI colors? 😁