Jump to content
  • 18

Restore Internal Notelink Functionality


scollins01

Idea

Internal note links don't seem to be working as efficiently as before:

  1. Clicking a link pops up a link (evernote:///) instead of going directly to the note as in previous versions. Requires two clicks to move between notes.
  2. Copying internal note link by rt click, Ctrl+right click "internal note link" OR in the note options, copies the HTTP:// link. All new links open in a browser.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post

13 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, scollins01 said:

Internal note links don't seem to be working as efficiently as before:

  1. Clicking a link pops up a link (evernote:///) instead of going directly to the note as in previous versions. Requires two clicks to move between notes.
  2. Copying internal note link by rt click, Ctrl+right click "internal note link" OR in the note options, copies the HTTP:// link. All new links open in a browser.

This is unbelievable, a vast step backward in everyone's workflow. I can't believe anyone at all wanted this "feature"! It doesn't even make sense in the Web version, yet here it is thrust upon us in Windows.

  • Like 5
Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, scollins01 said:

Internal note links don't seem to be working as efficiently as before:

  1. Clicking a link pops up a link (evernote:///) instead of going directly to the note as in previous versions. Requires two clicks to move between notes.
  2. Copying internal note link by rt click, Ctrl+right click "internal note link" OR in the note options, copies the HTTP:// link. All new links open in a browser.

This ws requested in the beta version forum. You can type ctrl-click to avoid the two-clicks. A nuisance nonetheless. It should've been engineered the other way round: one click to jump to the target, ctr-click to get the link context menu (which is great as such).

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, doktorzirb said:

This ws requested in the beta version forum. You can type ctrl-click to avoid the two-clicks. A nuisance nonetheless. It should've been engineered the other way round: one click to jump to the target, ctr-click to get the link context menu (which is great as such).

Ctrl-Click opens the linked note in a new window instead of jumping to the note. So the solution to moving between notes is to continue opening new windows? I open notes in a new window to keep it onscreen. Why would I want it to be default?

I don't pull pages out of physical book if I flip to a page referenced in a footnote. I go to the page. If I want to link or jump back I put my finger as a link.

Signing off on this behavior appears to be pushing for a release to stay in the public eye. Maybe its a trying to adopt a new workflow, but you don't go backward in order to setup a delivery cycle. If someone felt this was optimal behavior for note linking then it should have been made an option not default. I don't want to click a link to see the link address. I already know its a link. Its underlined in blue. Just take me there. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
  • 0

Just updated to the new Windows Desktop version. And now I can no longer open the internal links in the desktop app itself. It just shows the link and when I click it opens the note in the web app. And this is not what I want. I would not need a desktop version if evrything is opened in the web version anyway.

What can I do about this?

internallink.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • 0
19 hours ago, stephmag said:

Just updated to the new Windows Desktop version. And now I can no longer open the internal links in the desktop app itself. It just shows the link and when I click it opens the note in the web app. And this is not what I want. I would not need a desktop version if evrything is opened in the web version anyway.

What can I do about this?

internallink.jpg

I'm not sure why this is happening. It doesn't happen for me for links I've added in the new version or in the legacy. I do vaguely remember this being mentioned somewhere as something that is being worked on but I can't find the reference at the moment.

image.png.190139684216d3b0b57e9a4a91f5c09a.png

Link to post
  • 0

Here it happens in any case. If I am Ctrl clicking, it just directly opens the web browser. It is the same with all the links and notes I produced with the new version. There just are no longer any links not leading to the Web-Version. If I get the internal link by right clicking it is a web link. Therefore, no salvation... 

And this is completely killing my workflow.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, stephmag said:

Here it happens in any case. If I am Ctrl clicking, it just directly opens the web browser. It is the same with all the links and notes I produced with the new version. There just are no longer any links not leading to the Web-Version. If I get the internal link by right clicking it is a web link. Therefore, no salvation... 

And this is completely killing my workflow.

This is really weird. I've tried every way I can think of to generate a note link. If I then paste it directly into EN it is always a classic link. If I post it elsewhere it is always the web link. I assume this is the expected behavour.

What is your workflow? Can you describe how you are generating the links.

Link to post
  • 0

I am working on a desktop, a laptop, tablet and mobile phone. My main work place is the desktop. Up to now (with the EN versions from ten years ago up to last Friday)  I mostly used the desktop version like this: I produced a new note, clicked it right, said "Copy internal link" and put this link into another note. And when I later clicked the link, the note opened exactly in the app used which means desktop on the desktop and Android App on the Android phone. It never opened the Browser. And that is exactly what I want. I want to stay in the App.

Another funny thing: If I produce such a link on my desktop with the new EN version and put it in another note and open this note on my laptop where the old version is installed, it opens correctly, which means in the app and not in a browser.

Link to post
  • 0
15 minutes ago, stephmag said:

I mostly used the desktop version like this: I produced a new note, clicked it right, said "Copy internal link" and put this link into another note.

So I assume you are doing the same thing in the new version. As I say,  when I do that I get an internal link  and when I click it I stay in the app as expected. 

18 minutes ago, stephmag said:

Another funny thing: If I produce such a link on my desktop with the new EN version and put it in another note and open this note on my laptop where the old version is installed, it opens correctly, which means in the app and not in a browser.

This doesn't surprise me. Even if you deliberately paste an evernote web address into the legacy client it is clever enough to open it in the EN desktop app.

Sorry not to be able to help. You are not alone but it's obviously not happening to everybody. I found where I had read about this issue before:

 

Link to post
  • 0

I need to post internal (classic) note links (evernote:///...) not only to notes within Evernote but also to another application, namely MyLifeOrganized.
I want to click such a link in MyLifeOrganized to open the corresponding note in the Windows desktop version of Evernote rather than the web app.
With Evernote 10, I don't seem to be able to do this anymore.

Link to post
  • 0

Same problem here. Actually some of the links seem to work as shareable links that opens in the browser, while other work like internal links, even if all links in question were creating using the 'create internal link' option. This seems really odd, and it really breaks the workflow for me as I use internal link all the time to navigate back and forth between notes.

Link to post
  • 0

When I create internal notelinks using the right click mouse, select the option, paste into a new note OR Ctrl+Alt+L, paste into a new note, the resulting links open inside the Windows application.

Interestingly, if I click the link, then select open using the mouse the note opens inside the application - ie the linked note takes the focus.

If I Ctrl+Left Click the link then the note opens in a new window.

Ctrl+Right Click opens a different menu but open then opens the note in the application with focus in the linked note.

I confess that I'm on the continuing Beta trial so my experience may vary from the current 10.1.7 release

  • Like 3
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...