Mac 7.6 Beta 1

Rich Collyer

23 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

There's currently a bug searching notes with Spotlight on macOS 10.14 if that's what you're environment is. We filed a ticket with Apple as it appears that the bug cross overs to Apple as well. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, briztaker said:

So, now we have a dark sidebar and a note list, but editor is still white. Do you have plans to change this?

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.06.59 AM.png

Check your preferences - General - Use dark backgrounds...

• Level 5

Dark Mode looks nice, but the colors for links are a little dark/low contrast for my aging eyes.

Could the colors be punched up a bit?

e.g.

image.png.ca7330d5f16c0b69b8c8d74c21a970c2.png

Same goes for highlighted text (but I had trouble making a mockup of it... basically make the yellow a bit more saturated). Highlighted links e.g. are especially atrocious:

image.png.988ff8d110056316f288312c9c769a2a.png

Also, notifications are unreadable:

image.png.fd5aae2c72766c4328dd674abdfd8c93.png

• Level 5
6 hours ago, Metrodon said:

In full dark mode, the preview button for attachments does not display - it is still there and works if you click on the space.

image.png.d086accb2ffa9ca4c75821420919fa6f.png

The attachment header should be dark too. This will be fixed in the next beta.

2 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Dark Mode looks nice, but the colors for links are a little dark/low contrast for my aging eyes.

Could the colors be punched up a bit?

e.g.

image.png.ca7330d5f16c0b69b8c8d74c21a970c2.png

Same goes for highlighted text (but I had trouble making a mockup of it... basically make the yellow a bit more saturated). Highlighted links e.g. are especially atrocious:

image.png.988ff8d110056316f288312c9c769a2a.png

Also, notifications are unreadable:

image.png.fd5aae2c72766c4328dd674abdfd8c93.png

This is in the works and will be fixed by the time 7.6 general release is released. Thanks! 

My pet bug is fixed, so yay, thanks !

However, I must say I am not a fan of the dates appearing outside of the notes (below) in grid view. Unless I'm mistaken before 7.6 they were inside the notes, and it made for a much tidier view. Their color (bright blue) is also quite distracting, especially in dark mode.

I am also surprised noone mentioned the new tab interface to switch between Notes and Reminders. I find it strange that Reminders are put on the same level as notes. Personally I would have put them on a popover, but what do I know. 

400416084_Screenshot2018-10-23at21_43_29.thumb.png.8d7c5934202ad733546a2e063ae44c94.png

8 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Another bug:

When searching, key words are highlighted but when notes are scrolled up & down, the highlight boxes stay put -- like they're floating above the note:

Pasted_Image_10_24_18__12_15_AM.png.a87a4387529bc9981cb597baac6c5910.png

Thanks. We have a ticket open with engineering to fix this. 

• Level 5
On 10/22/2018 at 7:32 PM, nicolml said:

There's currently a bug searching notes with Spotlight on macOS 10.14 [...] We filed a ticket with Apple as it appears that the bug cross overs to Apple as well. 

Can you post the Apple bugID# so I can file my own bug and reference it? This will help prioritize the bug on Apple's side if it really is a macOS issue.

1 hour ago, Hush said:

Where is the link to download?

I'll go ahead and post that. For the time being go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update > Update to Beta Versions When Available. After this go to Help > Check for Update

• Level 5
6 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@luckman212, you are a great Evernote tester and bug finder.  Evernote should hire you since their staff seem to let so many obvious bugs through.

Thanks but I don't think Evernote is hiring anybody these days :unsure: And to be fair, finding bugs in EN is like shooting fish in a barrel.

What a UI mess Evernote has in macOS 10.13 High Sierra. We have the sidebar, which uses macOS Vibrancy to make it slightly translucent. Then we have the note list, which is what I'd call a "Mavericks grey". Finally, we have the note and it's new Mojave dark background… with a lighter grey header. Either have a dark mode that works in High Sierra (like Things 3), or disable it.

So, 3 panes, and 4 different colors. Meanwhile, Bear has it's theme act together, as well as Apple Notes.

I know it's only beta 1, but this is not what we had in mind when we asked for a Dark Mode all those years ago.

1341065988_Screenshot2018-10-2609_48_48.thumb.png.1997a0d795329ebc3f6d7d7e4c036e7a.png

41 minutes ago, macfixer said:

What a UI mess Evernote has in macOS 10.13 High Sierra. We have the sidebar, which uses macOS Vibrancy to make it slightly translucent. Then we have the note list, which is what I'd call a "Mavericks grey". Finally, we have the note and it's new Mojave dark background… with a lighter grey header. Either have a dark mode that works in High Sierra (like Things 3), or disable it.

So, 3 panes, and 4 different colors. Meanwhile, Bear has it's theme act together, as well as Apple Notes.

I know it's only beta 1, but this is not what we had in mind when we asked for a Dark Mode all those years ago.

1341065988_Screenshot2018-10-2609_48_48.thumb.png.1997a0d795329ebc3f6d7d7e4c036e7a.png

You're indeed correct that it's a little messy. We're doing some clean up and color correction for the next beta so it should look more polished for supported operating systems. Thanks for the feedback!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, nicolml said:

You're indeed correct that it's a little messy.

@nicolml(Evernote):  Can you please explain why you would bother to release such an obviously flawed design, even for a Beta???  This comes across as more like an Alpha release rather than a Beta release.  You are wasting your beta users time, and probably irritating some to the point of not testing any more Betas.

This is exactly why I now never upgrade to a "Beta" release.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, kthesun said:

Calm down everyone. They're working on it and that's what counts.

I'm perfectly calm.  I asked a very important and rational question.  This is just one more example of Evernote's poor QA.  It is irresponsible to push out half-baked designs to get their users to do the review and testing that Evernote should be doing first.  It was well-said by @luckman212:

On 10/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, luckman212 said:

And to be fair, finding bugs in EN is like shooting fish in a barrel.

They are wasting beta user's time to find bugs/flaws that any first-year intern could easily find.  Seems like good work for interns and college co-op students.

• Level 5*

The bugs that I’ve run into, such as notes that don’t sync properly, seem rather serious. Those are ones I don’t think should exist in any beta, because it means a fundamental, core feature (as I define them) is broken. Some messiness in rolling out a new design like this seems inevitable, and I‘m not terrible bothered by it. 

What's up with the tabbed Notes/Reminders views?

Reminders were/are really useful in terms of pinning notes to the top of notes/notebooks. This completely breaks this as an option. Is that going to be a permanent change, or will there be settings to put this back to normal?

• Level 5*

Huge bug here. My toolbar in notes is gone. Instead there is just a big green share button. I've restarted, and rebooted. Nothing fixes it. This is horrible.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, EdH said:

Huge bug here. My toolbar in notes is gone. Instead there is just a big green share button. I've restarted, and rebooted. Nothing fixes it. This is horrible.

Note Header Bar?            1120769250_ScreenShot2018-11-03at06_34_07.png.d7093af8a28dfacfe8a5051cbe7a9f06.png

• Level 5*

Where is that setting? I must be blind. All I have is Share, and then that eclipses menu with all the stuff I want in my toolbar.

I expect beta 3 will have the share button 2X larger, and all other icons, including the formatting tools, will be in the ellipsis menu and someone will go "hey, look. We just really cleaned up the UI. Good for us! The users will LOVE IT!"

On 11/3/2018 at 8:27 AM, EdH said:

Do you still see this issue in 7.6 beta 2? 

On 10/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, rupertius said:

What's up with the tabbed Notes/Reminders views?

Reminders were/are really useful in terms of pinning notes to the top of notes/notebooks. This completely breaks this as an option. Is that going to be a permanent change, or will there be settings to put this back to normal?

For now this change is permanent. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Nick L. said:

Do you still see this issue in 7.6 beta 2? 

Yup. I have the formatting tool bar, but there is nothing above that (what I'd call the note tool bar) besides share. No delete, no reminder setting clock, nothing. I'm not at my Mac right now but this is what I see in Windows, and it was similar for the mac.

image.png.cc6f60027abfa7373e6e157795062649.png

I know below is an older version (just doing some quick googling so you know what I am talking about because I am 100% sure I am not calling it the right thing)
image.png.7bc6faf9b66d49c7e9937fc5e5f04312.png

9 minutes ago, EdH said:

Yup. I have the formatting tool bar, but there is nothing above that (what I'd call the note tool bar) besides share. No delete, no reminder setting clock, nothing. I'm not at my Mac right now but this is what I see in Windows, and it was similar for the mac.

image.png.cc6f60027abfa7373e6e157795062649.png

I know below is an older version (just doing some quick googling so you know what I am talking about because I am 100% sure I am not calling it the right thing)
image.png.7bc6faf9b66d49c7e9937fc5e5f04312.png

Thanks for clarifying. Those options have been added to an overflow menu now. 

Screen%252520Recording%2525202018-11-06%

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Nick L. said:

Dark mode will only be available to macOS 10.14 and up.

That makes sense. Just plug into macOS for this vs rolling your own. Hopeing the same is coming for WIndows when 1809 launches, if it ever does.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Nick L. said:

Thanks for clarifying. Those options have been added to an overflow menu now. 

Screen%252520Recording%2525202018-11-06%

But I have about 10 inches of space. Why is it in the overflow? How is this an good UI? Why not move the tag info, search box, and note formatting icons into the overflow? Why is "Share" not in the overflow? Of all of those items on the overflow, Share is probably the LEAST used for me. 

37 minutes ago, EdH said:

But I have about 10 inches of space. Why is it in the overflow? How is this an good UI? Why not move the tag info, search box, and note formatting icons into the overflow? Why is "Share" not in the overflow? Of all of those items on the overflow, Share is probably the LEAST used for me. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm making sure that our design team is aware of yours, and everyone else's comments regarding the overflow menu. 

• Level 5
37 minutes ago, EdH said:

Why is it in the overflow? How is this an good UI?

BECAUSE....change!

No seriously, the real reason is: us lowly users were overwhelmed and confused with all those fiddly buttons.  Better tuck em away so nobody will ask any questions.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, EdH said:

The note header bars have become the place where metadata is displayed;
which does't explain why the Share icon is there, and Note  Information is not there

• Shane D. locked and unpinned this topic

Archived