Introducing 'Templates' for Evernote Read more... ×
aekae47

Ability to add Hyperlink/URL's to text (Android)

Idea

Hello. I'm a premium Evernote user. One of my main uses of Evernote is to make lists of websites or articles I find useful in a single note as multi level bulleted lists and linking them to their URL so it's easily clickable. This is very easy to do in the Desktop and Web app using the Ctrl+K shortcut or the Add Link button. But the Android app doesn't have an option to add hyperlink to a word or a sentence. This is a very basic function and should have been easy to implement even on Android. I'm posting this forum post from my phone and even this text box has a link option but the Evernote app doesn't! I would request the Android developer team to consider it. A simple button beside the Bold, Italic buttons at the bottom to add a hyperlink would be very useful.

Thanks.

• Like 4

20 replies to this idea

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to insert hyperlink/URL's into text on Android have been merged into this thread.

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to insert hyperlink/URL's into text on Android here!

Yes! I have been looking for some time for a way to do this in Android. It's absurd that this hasn't been dealt with. Especially with the increased power of Android devices and now the ability to run android apps on Chromebooks, the Android version must be made more powerful - more like the desktop versions.

• Like 1

I'm also surfacing this request.

I make extensive use of storing URLs in my notes and research. On Mac, all my URLs are tidy (as in, the word "Evernote" will go to "http://evernote.com" without looking like a URL). On iOS, this is nearly unachievable.

I reached out to support and they did give me one method that works (and may be universal across iOS but I haven't tried). See this link for the method.

But it's SO tedious. Quotes, spaces, two types of brackets… That's an obnoxious amount of software keyboard steps just to make a link. The "method" link I made in the above sentence is what I need to be able to do in Evernote on iOS. On this forum, it was two button clicks. On Mac, it's CMD+K. We need a proper iOS method.

I second this! To expand a little on the explanation for what's required:

In Evernote for Windows, creating a hyperlink is easy: simply highlight the word or phrase that you wish to link to a URL; click on the Format menu; select Hyperlink; and click Add. Or you can of course use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+K.

In the Android app, the option to create a hyperlink should logically be placed in the formatting bar, alongside the regular formatting (bold, italic, underline, etc).

• Like 1

Hi.  There are thousands of requests for new and updated features,  not to mention the odd bug issue.  This will be on a to do list somewhere,  but its priority will depend on other focus groups and the score at the top left of this page,  which is currently '2'.  If it's technically possible,  I'm sure Evernote will do this - the only question is when...

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 4:24 AM, WadeLiang said:

I second this request. As a premium user, this is usefull for collect data

Absolutely! Hope you have clicked the upward-pointing arrow at the top of the page to register your support for the idea.

Hi Guys, 

I don't know if this is still an active topic. I had the same problem but it seems I've solved it accidentally. 
Here's a little how-to, hopefully this will help. 

Let's say you want to add a link to the Evernote Blog which is https://evernote.com/blog/
But this should appear like this Evernote Blog

You can simply follow these steps: 

1. Copy/Paste your destination URL in Evernote (e.g. https://evernote.com/blog/)
2. Press enter
3. Type your link text (e.g. Evernote Blog)
4. Select your link text and then Cut it
5. Paste the link text exactly before the destination URL
6. Press enter
7. Erase the destination URL
8. Done :) now your link text is an actual link

Hope this works out for you guys as well. 
I've tested multiple links and all of them work. 

Hi @John Metz it's definitely still an active topic. Thanks for your suggestion, which I tried, but wasn't able to replicate. As this topic concerns the Android app (not the Windows program) I just wanted to make sure you realised this, as I suspect you may have thought it was about Windows?

Hi @John Metz - In Windows I still use a much simpler process -

1. Highlight word or phrase
  2. Hit Ctrl+K
  3. Type or paste link URL
  • Like 1

Hi @Ralph77 hmmz didn't realized this topic is about the Android app (sorry). Currently I use the Evernote app on MacBook. So I think my thread should move to another board or something? 

@gazumped thanks for your suggestion. Will use it on Windows on short term ;-) 

• Like 2

+1,000,000,000,000

I already commented on this on May 31, but three months later I wanted to contrast Evernote to Day One, who just realized a nice update that includes a Link button on iOS. They said it's coming soon to the desktop version too.

When I talked to them about it I shared my gratitude and commented that Evernote and Day One had always made links a trillion times harder to execute than necessary. At least one of them have addressed this glaring issue.

Evernote, your own forum has a Link script (the chain). That is all we are asking for, on iOS. Or are you too busy bleeding executives to bother with links?

I swear, if One Note's UI weren't horrible in that only-Microsoft-can-do kinda away or Day One handled notebooks in an Evernote style, I would've left Evernote ages ago… Also, thanks for forcing me to spend $70-something a year on Premium to use apps on 3 devices to have just lowered it to $40-something. Really feel like I'm getting my money's worth, being unable to make links and all…

4 minutes ago, Timm27 said:

+1,000,000,000,000

I already commented on this on May 31, but three months later I wanted to contrast Evernote to Day One, who just realized a nice update that includes a Link button on iOS. They said it's coming soon to the desktop version too.

When I talked to them about it I shared my gratitude and commented that Evernote and Day One had always made links a trillion times harder to execute than necessary. At least one of them have addressed this glaring issue.

Evernote, your own forum has a Link script (the chain). That is all we are asking for, on iOS. Or are you too busy bleeding executives to bother with links?

I swear, if One Note's UI weren't horrible in that only-Microsoft-can-do kinda away or Day One handled notebooks in an Evernote style, I would've left Evernote ages ago… Also, thanks for forcing me to spend $70-something a year on Premium to use apps on 3 devices to have just lowered it to $40-something. Really feel like I'm getting my money's worth, being unable to make links and all…

FYI, this is the Android Feedback forum; iOS has its own, and this might be more helpful there. IAC, the forums are mainly user-to-user, and not a great way to address Evernote directly. As a Plus subscriber, you should be able to contact their support on this.

19 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

FYI, this is the Android Feedback forum; iOS has its own, and this might be more helpful there. IAC, the forums are mainly user-to-user, and not a great way to address Evernote directly. As a Plus subscriber, you should be able to contact their support on this.

Oops! You’re right. I guess I’m paying for something so I’ll use that avenue.

Though, it emphasizes that Evernote’s issue of the missing ability to make links is systemic across both mobile platforms.

• Like 1