The-Droidster

chrome [Feature Request]Append to an Existing Note

Idea

Hi, I would like to make a feature request.

The default behavior of the web clipper is to create a new note with the selected content in a given notebook. 
A separate note for every little clip is not always necessary. So, why not include an option to append the clipped content to an existing note. It would be somewhat similar to merging 2 notes, only difference being, the process is now automatic and on-the-fly, instead of being manual.

PS: Sorry for the poor English.

Thanks,

The-Droidster

5 people like this

40 replies to this idea

Would love for this feature - even in its simplest form where updates from the same page URL overwrite the EverNote document.

+1 really would be useful to have this feature! 

Wow 2017 and screen clippings still go to their own note. This is horrible! A real oversight and shortcoming of what would otherwise be a great app. I don't believe for a second that the problem is "there are too many edge cases." We live in an age of software design in which if something sounds simple, it's probably no big deal to implement in code, unless of course the existing code is designed in such a way as to necessitate rewriting and restructuring to accommodate such a basic idea. Perhaps this is why Evernote has never implemented it - their existing code was not future proof enough. 

I use the Clip To Evernote extension for Chrome, and the way it should work (indeed the way I expected it to work before my rude awakening) was that I'd clip something, it would be stored in the extension, then I could go to any existing note and paste it in there. I bet this is how most people thought it would work, and I bet all of those people were shocked that it was not possible. 

I've done some extensive beta testing of other applications and have found that when some very obvious "no brainer" feature is not being implemented despite thousands of requests for it, the reason usually given by the developers (in private) is that to implement it would break existing code or that the existing code base was not designed with enough foresight to accommodate it. 

1 person likes this

Hi Evernote team, can we please have an update on the status of this? It's been YEARS and this is such a basic feature, I'm shocked that this is not available. If you REALLY can't figure it out, could you at least update us or offer a better workaround than merging? I'm trying to keep a collection of anchor notes ('profiles') that I started with basic info (name, contact, etc) and now I want to add info to them as I come across it or when it gets updated (posts by this person, updates on their status, etc).

The act of making new notes for each of these and then having to merge them all according to person will unnecessarily waste so much time that I'm writing this instead of starting that task and hoping and praying that you'll take notice. This is such a simple idea that it's preposterous it can't be done. Can you not simply add the option to effectively "merge" the newly created note into an existing one without the user having to do this manually? I mean you have the option to create a new notebook, create new tags versus using existing ones, why not new versus existing notes? This does not seem like it should be so difficult. It'd be appreciated if you could respond to the many inquiries about this, or get one of the other developers who have figured this out to help if you really can't sort it out :/ Either way, let us know, I'm not trying to test out new extensions and hacks and workarounds to find something that works when this should already exist in the Evernote universe.

Thanks.

This is just sad. Ignoring its users needs. Evernote knows best.

On 2017-06-01 at 10:32 PM, Jus10 said:

This is just sad.

It's sad this request only has 5933435718d6c_ScreenShot2017-06-03at4_16_22PM.png.ede5f8543dd60810a3940eaaee4ac356.png   user votes.  
It's part of the criteria used by Evernote to decide what changes are the most important

Voting buttons are in the top  left corner of the discussion

On 6/3/2017 at 7:17 PM, DTLow said:

It's sad this request only has 5933435718d6c_ScreenShot2017-06-03at4_16_22PM.png.ede5f8543dd60810a3940eaaee4ac356.png   user votes.  
It's part of the criteria used by Evernote to decide what changes are the most important

Maybe there is something off with the way the forum voting works?  There are more comments supporting the idea than votes for the feature.  Maybe I just missed up voting, but I commented in support of this almost two years ago, and I didn't have a vote recorded. (I just rectified that now.)

In case it's significant to the project managers, I moved from OneNote to Evernote 8 years ago (according to my oldest note) and have been paying for it for over half that time. (I don't remember when I first subscribed.)  I use all of the following applications regularly: Mac OS client, Evernote Web Clipper in Chrome, Android client, and iOS client. I've also regularly advocated for and presented it to others as a reference system for keeping notes and archiving content from other sources especially getting useful information out of email.  (However, I work in education so I've backed off on that a bit when talking to teachers due to the cost for features such as emailing in notes.)

+1 x 1,000

I'm building a curriculum for a course. It'd be super awesome if Evernote's Chrome web clipper enabled me to place clips into my curriculum note, and not create dozens of individual new notes. 

Wish I could up-vote this 1,000 times. 

On 1/6/2016 at 2:36 PM, DontDuckWithMe said:

It's 2016 and still no append feature, which is critical when researching. Even Apple Notes has this feature now.

I'm going to trust the developers and so tomorrow I'll be renewing my premium subscription for another year, but it will be the last one if they don't add/improve basic features like this.

ps: if you're on iOS and have Workflow.app you can use this workflow I made to append text, images or other files to a specific note.

https://workflow.is/workflows/ddc40510eaba4b91966ea39066ac4d1d

I love this idea! Would you mind to elaborate on the actions to complete this workflow. I am new to using Workflow and do find it a bit confusing so any help would be much appreciated!!

Many professionals have above worded this needed/ required feature much better than I could have.  It is WAY too much work the work it is and I'm not even using Evernote in a business application!?  In my everyday research I question the sanity of paying for this when I am not even able to then look at my research in any organized, cohesive manner.  All along now I have believed it was a lack on my part, a learning curve.  I don't even yet know how to manually go in and reorg. all these separate notes (100's) into a couple dozen Topic Notes w/all individual notes finally being together!   This truly makes the hours of hard research work almost done for nothing.  Like, I would have been further ahead with a topic notebook and a pen!!!

To say that this feature would be helpful is a total understatement.

19 hours ago, cochi said:

To say that this feature would be helpful is a total understatement.

You are certainly welcome to add your vote to this request; there are currently 12 votes
Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

Personally I have  no problem with the individual clipping notes

>>I don't even yet know how to manually go in and reorg. all these separate notes (100's) into a couple dozen Topic Notes w/all individual notes finally being together!  

I leave all the notes intact, tied together with a tag.  I copy/paste critical info into a master note, with links to the research clippings.  The master note could include a link to each of the clippings  (Table of Contents)

On my Mac, I could select the notes (100’s) and do a merge, but I wouldn’t find the result too useful

@DTLow

Regardless of how many upvotes there are on feature requests over a certain time (sometimes years) I cannot help thinking by now  that even the most obvious requests are either ignored or if they finally do get implemented still leave a lot to be desired. Evernote is a law onto itself. There can't be many users left who are not aware of that.

With your years of experience and your grade of intelligence you are able to accept that merging notes will often not satisfy needs. So why try and 'belittle' requests/complaints by telling people how you manage? 

Years ago I knew a team leader who thought nothing wrong by telling his staff to use Excel also as their text writing app. 

Lately a local guru tried to squirm out of the apparent Evernote printing 'deficiences' by waffling over the paper-free office. Coindence or not, that group is losing members. 

17 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

So why try and 'belittle' requests/complaints by telling people how you manage? 

I encouraged the user to add their vote to the request.  
The user reported the problem with “reorg. all these separate notes”, and I offered a suggestion

I’m not into   Boohoo, Evernote’s so bad    posts (take that as ‘belittle’)
I’m more interested in how to make this product work for me.  

>>There can't be many users left who are not aware of that......Coindence or not, that group is losing members. 

I haven't seen the latest numbers.  The last count I heard was over 200 million accounts

Thanks everyone!  Good information.     <* ~ )

((I'm replying here because it's all I was able to figure out, plz forgive))