The-Droidster

chrome [Feature Request]Append to an Existing Note

Idea

Hi, I would like to make a feature request.

The default behavior of the web clipper is to create a new note with the selected content in a given notebook. 
A separate note for every little clip is not always necessary. So, why not include an option to append the clipped content to an existing note. It would be somewhat similar to merging 2 notes, only difference being, the process is now automatic and on-the-fly, instead of being manual.

PS: Sorry for the poor English.

Thanks,

The-Droidster

5 people like this

40 replies to this idea

Thx for the feedback. There are a lot of edge cases and added complexity around clipping / appending to existing notes. Currently we are not planning to build that in the Web Clipper. 

1 person likes this

Hi. What is the status of adding this functionality to evernote clipper? (using on windows 8.1). My use case is -- I'm comparing products and costs online. It's one session of web browsing and I want to keep everything I find during that session, and successive related sessions, in a single note.

Would be a big time and attention saver

- I don't have to re-select a given notebook or tag; I just do it for the one note

- when consulting my notes, I don't have to search hard, or scroll through many notes, potentially/inadvertently losing track

1 person likes this

Thx for the feedback. There are a lot of edge cases and added complexity around clipping / appending to existing notes. Currently we are not planning to build that in the Web Clipper. 

The programmers behind the IOS app Drafts figured it out.

1 person likes this

As I just discovered on this thread about email appending, Evernote has that feature when emailing in.  Wouldn't much of the same code with regard to edge cases and appending be used for writing the append info into a note regardless of whether it was captured using the Web Clipper or via an email forward?

1 person likes this

Evernote Guys... this would be EXTREMELY useful when simply highlighting text.  No one wants to highlight various sentences from various websites in a research project and then merge all the notes together.  As a developer, simply appending to the last note is doable.

Is this something you guys could consider building?

Thanks.

Yes we're investigating adding this feature. 

1 person likes this

Hi,

just chiming in to say this would be very useful

products collecting

urls collecting

quotes collecting

I guess a work around would be collecting then merging

but adding to existing notes would be nice

thanks

It's 2016 and still no append feature, which is critical when researching. Even Apple Notes has this feature now.

I'm going to trust the developers and so tomorrow I'll be renewing my premium subscription for another year, but it will be the last one if they don't add/improve basic features like this.

ps: if you're on iOS and have Workflow.app you can use this workflow I made to append text, images or other files to a specific note.

https://workflow.is/workflows/ddc40510eaba4b91966ea39066ac4d1d

on my Mac, I use the Evernote Helper to do my clippings.  
It has a button box "Save To Evernote" but if you don't click it, the clippings just accumulate.  
When you finally click it, you get a single note.
Or you can drag the clippings from there into an existing note.

On January 6, 2016 at 2:45 PM, DTLow said:

on my Mac, I use the helper to do my clippings.  
It has a button box "Save To Evernote" but if you don't click it, the clippings just accumulate.  
When you finally click it, you get a single note.
Or you can drag the clippings from there into an existing note.

What is this "helper" you speak of?  I have had a Mac for years and don't know what you're referring to. 

Also, I second the idea of being able to append a clipping to an existing note.  There are many use cases where this would be a handy feature.  

Agree with everyone above. It's a significant feature missing from the note editor. We should be able to click the same 'Clip Full Screen' or 'Clip Rectangle or Window' right from a note. Whatever you click goes where the cursor is in the note. Audio and webcam shots are supported, but clipping isn't for some reason. I use the hack to drag clippings from the helper into an existing note all the time, and it's a pain for a product this mature.

I started using Drafts' iOS extension to collect links into one note and then send it to Evernote. Still frustrating not to be able to do it with Evernote directly!

This would be wonderful. Evernote should concentrate its efforts on making it more useful.These little things pave road for huge productivity.

Hi evernote team - is there any update to this much needed feature request? The workarounds above dont meet all use cases. For instance, I want to clip a simplified article of multiple websites that I am viewing to a note that I am using to write about one particular subject. The Evernote Helper for Mac doesn't allow for simplified articles. 

For users - the only way that this works for me is to save a bunch of articles/pages that I am reading as simplified, tag them with a special tag and manually merge them later. 

+1 on this feature!

Making the clipper select a session active note / session default note and then adding to that note would be awesome!

Actually, appending it to one note and be able to modify the way it does so, by listing pagelink etc. would be really awesome - especially for building reference lists or when simply researching a subject!

Thanks for an awesome product!

+1 from me as well. 

I just started out with evernote and noticed the first day that this feature is missing. This could be a deal breaker ...

+1 to this idea.

I think it would be worth figuring out the required "edge cases" to make this feature a reality. The clipping tool /feels/ like it should natively work this way and is therefore frustrating that it does not.

+1 it's ridiculous that every web clip from the same page opens it's own note.  It would be a fantastic feature if it could just append to an existing note so we can read an article, clip the bits we want to remember and then later open that note and read all of our comments and images in one note.

Please enable this, enable us :)

+1 Please add this feature - it is an enormous hassle to add clippings into existing notes again. 

As explained above this feature is critical when doing research or where one wants to add multiple sources and bits of information into one document.

Could the Evernote Team give an Update on this?