Feature Request: Copy Tags

ShanC

Idea

I would like the ability to copy all the tags from one note and paste them into another note.

Here is how I imagine this functionality working:

1. Right-click a note in the Note List.
  2. Select Copy Tags from the menu.
  3. Right-click a different note in the Note List.
  4. Select Paste Tags. Both notes now contain the same tags.
  • Like 5

24 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

There's a utility called EvernoteBatch - http://www.onenotegem.com/evernote-batch.html - which I believe will export tags and re-import them*.  (Interestingly developed by a OneNote software engineer).

Downsides:  don't know if its functionality is what you need,  and it's a paid-for app;  no free versions or periods other than some test data.

Edit:  Amongst many other things!

• Level 5*
On May 16, 2016 at 1:57 PM, ShanC said:

I would like the ability to copy all the tags from one note and paste them into another note.

Here is how I imagine this functionality working:

1. Right-click a note in the Note List.
  2. Select Copy Tags from the menu.
  3. Right-click a different note in the Note List.
  4. Select Paste Tags. Both notes now contain the same tags.

On July 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM, stefsudy said:

I totally agree!!!!

It will save me a lot of time.

Can't see how often I'd use this

Sometimes I have a bunch of notes to get the same tags. Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 9.58.33 AM.png
On my Mac, I can select the notes, and then use the mass change box to assign tags

I've moved the discussion to a feedback forum to be better addressed as a feature request.
Please indicate your support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner  Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 10.01.01 AM.png

• Level 5
On 5/16/2016 at 4:57 PM, ShanC said:

That's a nice suggestion.

It would work nicely for people who use templates in Evernote.

And it would assure more consistency and accuracy when using a copied template, especially with the templates not used on a regular basis.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

That's a nice suggestion. It would work nicely for people who use templates in Evernote. And it would assure more consistency and accuracy when using a copied template.

There's always the preserve tags option when copying a note.

ScreenClip.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 minutes ago, csihilling said:

here's always the preserve tags option when copying a note.

Get out of town! I never saw that.

I've got hundreds of filled-in phone call templates over the past few years, and I never noticed that. The phone rings I copy the blank template while making some pleasant repartee, then start filling in the copied template.

Many thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

You are welcome.  If you want to add a little speed to the phone call process, drag a copy of the template to the desktop and then you can double click that ENEX file to have a copy of the template note appear in your default notebook.  My method, FWIW.  

Full disclosure, double monitors make it easier to get to the ENEX file on the desktop.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I just discovered a related evernote option that assigns all  selected tags to a new note:

ScreenClip.png

I just noticed that this works for saved searches as well.

This may help people who like a folder hierarchy:  you can save as many combined tag searches as you like and with one click you can switch to a specific "sub directory" where you can create notes all with the same tags as specified by the saved search!

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I just noticed that this works for saved searches as well.

This may help people who like a folder hierarchy:  you can save as many combined tag searches as you like and with one click you can switch to a specific "sub directory" where you can create notes all with the same tags as specified by the saved search!

here is an example of a possible "folder" tree. Please note that you can reuse the same subfolder name in the different subtrees. The tree is nicely visualized due to the alphabetical order. All you have to do is click the required folder and you switch to the proper context. If you create a new note, all tags of this context will be assigned to this new note :-)

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*

If I want two notes to have identical tags, I usually select them both, open Assign tags (Ctrl+Alt+T), tick the box "Hide unassigned tags" and tick all the remaining tags by using arrow down and space bar on the keyboard.

• Like 3

First, you should properly configure your evernote :select in the evernote options the  "assign selected tags to a new note" as described in my previous message. 

Now, if you want to create a new note with the same context as an existing note, you can do that as follows:

open the existing note

While pressing the Shift-key, you can click the required tags (and notebook if you like) on top of the existing note, below the title bar (this way you multi-select your required context)

Create the new note (this will inherit the proper context now)

• Like 1

It would be nice if there's a solution to this for the mobile app version of Evernote.

Like the "Duplicate" feature, "Duplicate tags only" and assign them to other existing notes would be very nice.

For example if I saved a webpage to Evernote, with pictures and complex formatting of the original webpage and stuff, then give the Note many tags;

then later I saved another webpage, also with complex formatting, and I simply want to tag it with the same tags as the previous one I saved, then maybe add 1-2 new tags.

Duplicating the first Note so that it retains the tags, then clearing the old content, then copy-pasting the new content to it doesn't work, and takes too much time and hassle and too much complications.

Yes, I work with a lot of tags, sometimes even up to 20 tags for a single Note. (my personal record was 62 tags for a Note... yes, really.)

No, I don't use the desktop version of Evernote. Only on mobile devices.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  If I open a note and choose 'duplicate' from the three dots menu in Android,  I'll get a complete copy of the original note including all tags and dates.  It would be possible to set up an empty template note or simply copy a previous note if the created date is not a problem,  or can be updated later.

• Level 5*
On 5/23/2017 at 2:40 AM, Fey said:

It would be nice if there's a solution to this for the mobile app version of Evernote.

You should post a feature request for what you want  in the Product Feedback appropriate to your chosen mobile device.

Despite the various workarounds referenced in this thread, I still think it would be worthwhile to have this option available, particularly for anyone who deals with a lot of tagged content.

Having to, for instance, duplicate a note with the desired tags, wipe the note contents, and finally paste into this note the content from a desired template note could be quite the annoying process when performed many times. Other workarounds would seem to be similarly annoying, even if effective.

I can't imagine such a feature being difficult to implement, even though I'm sure the Evernote team has better things to do with their time.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, shadowmoses said:

Other workarounds would seem to be similarly annoying, even if effective.

Work around #1 - create empty note with several tags and save as template.  Duplicate note and add content to new copy as many times as required for multiple notes with the same tag structure.

Work around #2 - create empty note with several tags and save as template.  Duplicate note and merge with existing note to add template tags to whatever tags the original had.

8 hours ago, shadowmoses said:

I can't imagine such a feature being difficult to implement

I don't think anything is 'easy' when it has to work in several different versions of various different operating systems on different sized displays...

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

I don't think anything is 'easy' when it has to work in several different versions of various different operating systems on different sized displays...

Fair enough, although it's still only a copy and paste action at heart. It just feels like one of those more basic features you would expect to be available. 

• Like 1

I would use this a lot when creating notes by way of sharing pdf files of paid statements to Evernote. When I do this at bill paying time there are 4 or 5 tags that would be applicable to several notes created in a session. Copying and Pasting tags would be very simple and effective... Much better than the inaccuracies probable with workarounds. 

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, SSPOZ said:

I agree, you should easily be able to copy all tags from one note to a complimentary note. 

Hi.  This is a 2-year old thread that hasn't seen much action recently.  It is now possible to both duplicate and copy an existing note,  drag the tag(s) from the sidebar into a new note, use a template opened from the new note dialogue, and to copy and paste a CSV string like "<tag1>,<tag2>,<tag3>" to create a new note with a standard set of tags.  If none of these options meet your requirements,  can you explain your workflow in more detail?