Introducing image transcription: you can now extract text from your images, including those containing handwritten text, with ease.

From the 10.103.3 Release Notes:

New Features:

• Introducing image transcription: you can now extract text from your images, including those containing handwritten text, with ease.

I think I like the feature, but I'm not sure I like the how the popup bar obscures part of my image.

image.png.8c6978c903e1f8d2d02f83d6f7b346d9.png

It's also kind of jarring for it to keep popping as you scroll through a note with a lot of images.

The way it's implemented now, you definitely can't miss it though which is maybe what they are going for. (Reminds me of the the short-lived AI Edit popup button: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/151154-requests-for-option-to-toggle-off-ai-edit-and-edit-note-toolbar/)

99% of my images don't need image-to-text transcription either so it's kind of an annoyance that it is so prominent. Maybe after a few weeks or so we'll hopefully see it make it's way to the '...' button menu after clicking on an image.

image.png.418843bbeb045eae480743a5ce5fbee4.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I got a 'transcribe' button in the same place,  but when I clicked it all the text in my image (it was a random box front image) got added just below it - no scrolling required...

(This on Win 11 & desktop 10.103.3)

yeah I agree with this , you should put 'transcribe' feature in the ruler or when selecting an image in the more option section with a keyboard shortcut , but the random box above the image is not a great UI , and makes me nervous for some reason @Federico Simionato

5 hours ago, Boot17 said:

From the 10.103.3 Release Notes:

I think I like the feature, but I'm not sure I like the how the popup bar obscures part of my image.

image.png.8c6978c903e1f8d2d02f83d6f7b346d9.png

It's also kind of jarring for it to keep popping as you scroll through a note with a lot of images.

The way it's implemented now, you definitely can't miss it though which is maybe what they are going for. (Reminds me of the the short-lived AI Edit popup button: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/151154-requests-for-option-to-toggle-off-ai-edit-and-edit-note-toolbar/)

99% of my images don't need image-to-text transcription either so it's kind of an annoyance that way. Maybe after a few weeks or so we'll hopefully see it make it's way to the three '...' button menu after clicking on an image.

image.png.418843bbeb045eae480743a5ce5fbee4.png

• Like 2

... this is a feature people have asked Evernote to implement since the dawn of time!! It's strange that only yesterday I was looking into handwriting to text conversion natively in Evernote due to me getting a Chromebook with a stylus, and the next day it arrives!

I currently use remarkable tablet to Evernote, then I have an integration written which OCRs the text and creates actions points from the text and creates items in Todoist. Works well, and I'm sure the new transcribe feature won't have any way to be called from the API so no automation.

• Like 1

I've been testing it this morning and working really well on scanned paper docs and handwritten notes. 

Folks been asking for this since the dawn of time and its working great!

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I've been testing it this morning and working really well on scanned paper docs and handwritten notes. 

Folks been asking for this since the dawn of time and its working great!

I'm also a fan but I hope the "fuzzy" search which EN originally used has not been lost. The fact that it would record both "tan" and "ton" if it wasn't sure, gave a few false positives but did guarantee that you would find things.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I'm also a fan but I hope the "fuzzy" search which EN originally used has not been lost. The fact that it would record both "tan" and "ton" if it wasn't sure, gave a few false positives but did guarantee that you would find things.

The normal OCR search is staying and still works as far as I can see.

It transcribed "have" to "had" on a very crumpled piece of paper I scanned but I was trying to test it!

• Like 1
On 8/26/2024 at 6:09 PM, Boot17 said:

The more I think about this, the more I think this is the case. They want to get this feature in front of as many eyeballs as they can to test it out and make sure it is working well -- similarly, the constant "Liked the result?" after every transcription.

image.png.f7cdc7d4eb07ebb43548a361214daa10.png

I think they like to see some user engagement with some of the new features they implement. They put them front and center at first and then later adjust for a better UX if needed. Some examples:

• Like 2

That's a very good start!

But it's a pitty that you must first include the photo as a file in the note before make a transcription of the text. It would be very much helpful to import directly the text in the note like the iphone camera do. I do use evernote to summarize my readings and I need to copy the text of the physical books I read. As it is now, this feature is useless for me. I will continue to copy/paste the text from my iphone camera in Evernote...

There are some people here who will read this thread and take it personal.

There are some people here who will read this thread and see objective feedback.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I tried with a German language text handwritten on checkered paper. The hit rate was close to zero.

So either it’s currently English language only, or it doesn’t like the cris cross impact from the paper.

„It leaves room for improvement“ would be my current description.

17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So either it’s currently English language only, or it doesn’t like the cris cross impact from the paper.

I've tried Welsh and it worked OK... I'll ask the question about how many languages.

• Like 1

I have noticed that images with highlighted text are not transcribing properly, so If I have a text with some sentences highlighted the transcribe will only transcribe the highlighted text and not the rest , please fix this issue   

It doesn't work. I snapped a business card. It shows the card but goes into an infinite loop when trying to extract the contact info. 

Also it's misleading to call this New. It's an old feature that has been readded. The only difference is that it doesn't work now 

• Level 5

It’s wrong that this would be an old feature. The old recognition worked on the server - it was one of the server side services, applied after the upload. It mainly provided information for the search index, not to extract text.

The new AI feature is client based - you can use it for yourself to extract any text without waiting for a server job.

About why it’s not working for you more information is required. For me it works. 

• Like 1

Just tested this function in a screenshot with a very basic text layout in Norwegian language (basically a black and white document with a table, generated in Word, nothing handwritten). The screenshot was captured on an iPhone and then imported into an EN note.

The transcription results were very good.

I wonder if it would be possible that Evernote just let us copy some text directly, selecting it from inside a picture once it's imported into a note. This is possible when working with any picture on an iPhone or a Mac. Most of the time I don't need a complete transcription, just need to copy some text.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, dannydu said:

I know you are not support, but Evernote support has stopped answering issues for months now , so contacting support does not work unfortunately

Try feedback@evernote.com

• Like 1

this issue has been fixed and its working now ..highlighted text are now being transcribed fully

On 8/31/2024 at 11:54 AM, dannydu said:

I have noticed that images with highlighted text are not transcribing properly, so If I have a text with some sentences highlighted the transcribe will only transcribe the highlighted text and not the rest , please fix this issue