Green Links Gone Without Asking!

@AndyDent This is one of the dumbest moves yet. In '23 I came close to not renewing Evernote after ~10 years. Recently I was finally warming up again to Evernote based on the efforts they've been making to correct the horrible overhaul of the app. But this change is ridiculous. Who's the genius that made this decision, and what's the logic behind it? I think they're TRYING to go out of business!

[Note: Unfortunately similar threads were started in platform-specific Discussion Groups tho I think this is a "General" / Across the board topic so I'll post links to those here in hope the volume of responses results in the stupidity of the decision being recognized & reversed by the ivory tower gang over at Evernote]:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For many of us it was a quality of life feature to have internal links distinguishable from external links, but apparently at Bending Spoons it is purely a UI aesthetic and they think it looks better to be the same as external links? Just a guess as they've made no mention of this change publicly or in the release notes as far as I'm aware.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
17 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

For many of us it was a feature and quality of life to have internal links distinguishable from external links, but apparently at Bending Spoons it is purely a UI aesthetic and they think it looks better to be the same as external links? Just a guess as they've made no mention of this change publicly or in the release notes as far as I'm aware.

Absolutely. I'm hoping it was just an[other] oversight.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is yet another unbelievably …. posting from …

Anybody can fill in the dots to his liking. Do you really think this adds anything to this thread ?

What I regard as stupid is the exaggeration in dealing with a plain 1st world problem. It’s the sort of problem you don’t have while you have real problems.

Personally I would like to get the green links back. So I send a polite message at this link, and be done:

feedback@evernote.com

• Like 3
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I would like to get the green links back. So I send a polite message at this link, and be done:

feedback@evernote.com

I have also submitted this case as feedback to the support team creating a case ticket, but I am extremely concerned that I have not received any responses on at least five additional support cases over the past six months. I am very disappointed with their current approach to customer support, it appears to be completely neglected

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
19 hours ago, Thorz said:

I have also submitted this case as feedback to the support team creating a case ticket, but I am extremely concerned that I have not received any responses on at least five additional support cases over the past six months. I am very disappointed with their current approach to customer support, it appears to be completely neglected

Yes, EN support is the worst I've ever seen. Which is part of the reason so many of us come on this forum to complain, even though it does no good and we get scolded by Pink Elephant.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 minutes ago, kkarney said:

… even though it does no good and we get scolded by Pink Elephant.

Asking for it ?

Doesn‘t happen when ordered.

• Haha 1
On 5/5/2024 at 6:48 PM, Tertey said:

You may ask about green internal links in here → link

Done. But do BS actually read that feedback?

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Thorz said:

Who knows. Reading does not necessarily mean they will do something about it - either because they deem it to be low priority or they actively don't want to change it. Sometimes, but very rarely these days, they will even respond to issues raised in the forums.

• Like 1

Just another long-time Evernote Premium user. I was surprised at this change and have waited a while to see how I'd feel. I'm really missing the differentiation between Evernote links and external links! I'm very organized in cross-linking, so this is driving me nuts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

+1(thousand!) to this! I also used to really love that internal links to other notes were distinguishable from weblinks. Reeeeeally hoping that they'll switch it back. (Or at least give us the option to do it via a setting or something)

• Like 2
On 4/30/2024 at 8:47 AM, Dobby said:

@AndyDent This is one of the dumbest moves yet. In '23 I came close to not renewing Evernote after ~10 years. Recently I was finally warming up again to Evernote based on the efforts they've been making to correct the horrible overhaul of the app. But this change is ridiculous. Who's the genius that made this decision, and what's the logic behind it? I think they're TRYING to go out of business!

[Note: Unfortunately similar threads were started in platform-specific Discussion Groups tho I think this is a "General" / Across the board topic so I'll post links to those here in hope the volume of responses results in the stupidity of the decision being recognized & reversed by the ivory tower gang over at Evernote]:

Bring back, OH bring BACK, oh bring back my green links to US, to US
Bring back, OH bring BACK, oh bring back my green links to US

16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe they have a bet open in the team which change will provoke the highest number of insane forum posts ?!

Sort of devs "Forum Bingo" 🤣

Maybe they could at least have a place where they explain some of their sane and their crazy logic...

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe they have a bet open in the team which change will provoke the highest number of insane forum posts ?!

Sort of devs "Forum Bingo" 🤣

I would imagine someone over there is getting a kick out of this... probably why you don't see Evernote staff post here any more and on Twitter instead.

5 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Maybe we should all start telling the TRUTH about Nevernote on more places like Twitter, Facebook & YouTube!!!

Have fun. It's not perfect, nothing is but I'd rather not waste my time doing that. 

• Like 1

I scrolled thru the comments of one of their 'what's new' youtube videos & couldn't find a single one that had even a hint of reality: They were all praising it.  So you'll have to forgive me if I don't put too much faith in the real truth about this app actually getting out there (at least on that medium).

13 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

I scrolled thru the comments of one of their 'what's new' youtube videos & couldn't find a single one that had even a hint of reality: They were all praising it.  So you'll have to forgive me if I don't put too much faith in the real truth about this app actually getting out there (at least on that medium).

I think your reality is very different from mine. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It often leads into a nonsensical discussion when people start talking about „the real truth“.

Usually it is the point when there is cognitive dissonance - like the guy driving in the wrong direction on the highway, wondering why all the others move in that dangerous direction. You just need to be convinced your truth is the absolute one.

• Like 1
On 5/7/2024 at 11:44 AM, Thorz said:

They implemented 50% of what I wrote on this link. But it could be a simple coincidence :)

On 5/15/2024 at 8:24 PM, enfan-01 said:

They moderate their comments and delete poor comments about them. 

Have they made any statement into fixing this issue? It really messes up making any workflow when you cant differentiate blue hyperlinks vs green backlinks.

On 5/16/2024 at 3:51 AM, FredJ said:

Maybe they could at least have a place where they explain some of their sane and their crazy logic...

Like Federico does on X? Or do you mean something different?

I love this thread by the way. I have problems with recurring notes re-appearing too early. Or when checked of in Android they re-appear just 2 seconds, causing me to click the wrong tasks. I dearly miss sorting on tags column, so that I can use my own TSW variant of GTD correctly. I get hindered by copy-pasting text from Outlook to Evernote, and then images appear as "Unitled" unusable attachment. I suffer from tickets getting closed and when asking for an update to ask to resend ALL my ticket with logs/images, etc.....

For me this thread about the color change of clickable URL links is my ultimate goal for happiness with Evernote. I totally do not mean to mock you, I hope you don't read it like that. I can totally understand this being really annoying and hindering your muscle-memory and convention-conformity/expectations of ANY software. It's a bit like EVERY day I am annoyed that some windows do close when pressing Escape button, and some don't... The ones I use most seem not to close on Escape, breaking ANY application convention, and short circuiting my brain every hour. That's probable what the green URL links is for you. But if these kind of cosmetic problems (like line spacing) become my biggest problems, then I'm a happy camper! It gives me hope. 

Bending Spoons' staff seems unfortunately too inexperienced to be aware of the fact that changes they play with can have a very negative impact on others.

• Like 1

Guys... I admire your patience and faith that these things will be fixed in a reasonable amount of time...

I'm already burnt out and I've stopped dealing with it.. I'm gradually reducing my work in Evernote

• Sad 1
39 minutes ago, ferol said:

Guys... I admire your patience and faith that these things will be fixed in a reasonable amount of time...

I'm already burnt out and I've stopped dealing with it.. I'm gradually reducing my work in Evernote

The same here: gradually moving my stuff away. At the moment active use of Evernote requires too many work-arounds, and constant checking if features are working or not. Too difficult, too time consuming, too unsure...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

To go back to the start: The links have not entirely changed color. When hovering over them, the internals show as green, and the externals remain blue.

It just baffles me as to what great reason there was to do that

• Level 5

If you are in need for a reason, pick one yourself:

• It was Friday, and still 2 hours to fill. So let’s take out some unused code.
  • It was Monday, and no agenda for the week. Time for a small UI rework.
  • My boss asked me to do something noticeable. So I did.

Happy now ?

9 hours ago, FredJ said:

It just baffles me as to what great reason there was to do that

It's all about corporate image. Bending spoons have been slowly and surely removing green from the app. They could of course have replaced the green with a different colour but chose to simplify it by making all links the same.

There is still plenty of green in the marketing material, for instance on the website, starting with the logos. Generally speaking, a rebranding change like the one you describe starts with the marketing side where changes are pretty easy to implement.

On 5/19/2024 at 9:09 AM, MvdH said:

Like Federico does on X? Or do you mean something different?

He doesn’t talk about all the issues there. In socials, they just cherry-pick the topics they discuss.

For example, they haven’t even acknowledged that they have removed pinch-to-zoom from the mobile apps, a change that is much more functionally critical than the changing of the color of the internal links.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Thorz said:

For example, they haven’t even acknowledged that they have removed pinch-to-zoom from the mobile apps

Just opened a note on the Android app and I can pinch to zoom just fine. You up to date.

17 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Just opened a note on the Android app and I can pinch to zoom just fine. You up to date.

Thank you for posting this!!!!!

Pinch-to-zoom is back on v10.88.0 in iOS too!

This painted a smile in my face. I, as thousands of other users are hugely dependent on this accessibility function.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...